Type keyword(s) to search

Hawaii 5-0 In the Media

• Start Topic

On 7/17/2017 at 3:48 PM, blackwing said:

cut the (probably) highly paid Willie Garson.  His Judd Hirsch character adds nothing to the show either.

I like him (although I think the 5-0 characters treat him very poorly -- especially compared to the sex-trafficker).  But, yes, please cut Flippa.  Yuck.

• Love 1

From Deadline: Actress Michelle Hurd joins Fox's Lethal Weapon as a recurring character; leaves Blindspot as a regular, but may remain as recurring

Michelle Hurd is the actress who's recurred in at least 5 eps (per IMDb, but I think she's done a few more) of the show, between 2014 & 2016 as Lou Grover's wife, & Samantha & Will Grover's mother, Renee, so that's why I'm posting this. Although it fails to mention her association with H50 at all, for whatever reason. I don't know what, if anything, this means in regards to her continuing to play Renee Grover on the show but I hope she can continue playing Renee Grover too; I've liked the way she's played the character.

9 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Wow. Well that's one way to do it. While paying a lot less, of course. CBS wins, I suppose, while saving face(-ish).

So, Ian Anthony Dale, huh? I l'm not sure how Adam will stay on when his wife is gone (might they kill off Kono?), but I do love him, and he's enough to keep me watching. I mean, I'm even watching Salvation partly because of him. Interesting how he was tweeting in support of DDK. I'm glad CBS didn't hold that against him (then again, he is currently on another CBS show). I just wish we could have kept DDK (and GP, too, though it seems she wanted to leave sooner rather than later).

• Love 1
(edited)
42 minutes ago, Princess Lucky said:

Wow. Well that's one way to do it. While paying a lot less, of course. CBS wins, I suppose, while saving face(-ish).

So, Ian Anthony Dale, huh? I l'm not sure how Adam will stay on when his wife is gone (might they kill off Kono?), but I do love him, and he's enough to keep me watching. I mean, I'm even watching Salvation partly because of him. Interesting how he was tweeting in support of DDK. I'm glad CBS didn't hold that against him (then again, he is currently on another CBS show). I just wish we could have kept DDK (and GP, too, though it seems she wanted to leave sooner rather than later).

I have to say I'm happy they found a way to keep Ian Anthony Dale/Adam Noshimuri on the show's canvas, if you will. I like the character (although his romance with Kono did come out of left field)--I expected (& I think a lot of viewers did) that Kono was gonna end up with Charlie Fong, the original lab guy (from before Danny's nephew Eric--aka "E-Train"--getting the job); especially considering how Kono & Fong met, or rather renewed their acquaintance.

The way they're keeping Adam in the storyline doesn't bother me, though I'm sure at least some will object to it.

For 1 thing, Adam needs a steady job because of his status as a paroled ex-con. And Ian kinda needs 1 too--he & his wife are expecting their first child (it's a boy).

For another thing, I remember McGarrett telling Kono (at least) that he'd be there for her & Adam, whatever they needed, when Adam confessed to what was clearly, really, a self-defense shooting (the guys he killed were supposed to kill him) that Adam shouldn't have done any time for but the DA decided to make an example of him because of his family's ties to the Yakuza.

If anyone's interested, Ian's on Twitter.

As for the actress playing Tani, the character's not a surprise--they announced the casting for the role practically as soon as the S7 finale aired, so they probably knew GP was taking a hike for good by then. And there have already been photos from the set on social media, during what looked to be Tani's introduction to McGarrett & Danny, although at the time it wasn't stated that was actually the character of Tani or the actress who has the part (& was rumored to be cast at least that point--the first day of shooting for S8). The actress is on Twitter; so far no Tweets about filming.

As for the new ex-SEAL on the team, I think that's cool though I didn't necessarily expect an all-new male team member. I wonder if his character & McGarrett will see eye-to-eye, as far as employing "SEAL tactics" in their work or if their "SEAL techniques" will come from different eras of learning (like technology changes, I would think SEAL tactics would also, to some extent), since I expect McGarrett & new guy were in different BUDs classes. I also wonder if he'll notice McGarrett sort of runs the team like it's a SEAL team (I always kinda thought so, anyway) though with that sense of ʻohana to it. The actor playing the new ex-SEAL is also on Twitter--again nothing about filming, & nothing since January, actually.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

Hmm.  Yeah I guess.  I guess in the end the big money always wins in one way or the other.  I love Ian Anthony Dale so I'll be glad to see him.  I assume by cast regular they'll use his character like they did Catherine's where we'll see him in a lot of episodes, but not necessarily ever episode and maybe in only a scene or two, but it's a paycheck and exposure.  Maybe he's still on parole and won't be able to travel with Kono while she's hunting down the traffickers or maybe she's training at "Quantico" with the FBI.  I guess I'm getting kind of excited about the new season.  I know that the original H50 had cast changes and a lot of other tv shows do this so I guess I can live with it.  At least two of the newest cast members are young and can be a little more athletic than maybe Lou and definitely Jerry.

I'm still upset with CBS, but not as much. I'm glad Ian has been promoted, and the other two actors are Samoan (Beulah Koale - definitely represented in HI) and half-East Indian (Meaghan Rath - not common in HI, but still a POC.) BTW, I'm a white chick, and I'm tired of being over-represented.

• Love 1
(edited)

Unfortunately nothing to see here anymore. The BTS photo that was here has apparently been removed from the original poster's Instagram. Sorry!

Edited by BW Manilowe
To apologize because the substance of my post was removed from Instagram after I posted it.
56 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I wanted Adam as a regular for years and now they do it? Wow at keeping IAD, guess it's the way to fix the race questioning. Surprised he did it and how are they going to explain Adam but no Kono?

I wouldn't say the casting fixes anything at all.  The issue was never the absence or scarcity of a diverse cast, but rather one of pay equity for POC, and I don't think anyone thinks the three new additions are getting paid as much as Alex or Scott.  

Making Ian Anthony Dale a series regular is such a head scratcher.  I liked him on the show, but mostly because he and Grace had great chemistry.  So much for their great love story.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

I wouldn't say the casting fixes anything at all.  The issue was never the absence or scarcity of a diverse cast, but rather one of pay equity for POC, and I don't think anyone thinks the three new additions are getting paid as much as Alex or Scott.  

Making Ian Anthony Dale a series regular is such a head scratcher.  I liked him on the show, but mostly because he and Grace had great chemistry.  So much for their great love story.

IMO it's actually a somewhat smart move. I'd even call it a drop of reason in the ocean of dumbness. For me, Chin, Kono, and Adam were all kind of similar. Calm, balanced, pretty quiet (but not boring-quiet). By upgrading Adam, they can be sure that to some extent, this quality will still be there and save people from being suffocated by Danny or Lou (who are on the other end of the spectrum, at least for me). 

Also, I don't really think it's about silencing the racism talk, obviously no one who's made up his mind won't think it changes anything unless he knows that IAD is paid the same as AOL/SC. This isn't designed to appeal to logic but to emotions. With Adam, it's a bit like Kono's still there. And him talking about her, missing her, being angry at her or whatever will probably be way more interesting to people than whatever a completely new character can bring. And will be better for the whole ohana thing. They could have a lot of disappointed fans saying that there's no Kono, Chin or Max and on top of it Adam is gone, so there's no ohana anymore. Now, they'll still have a lot of disappointed fans but the ohana feeling will be partially saved, for some. Filling the void with more Adam is a good solution for a dirty problem. If I were them, I'd bring as many familiar faces as possible. (Well, if I were them I wouldn't be so dumb in the first place.)

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Artsda said:

I wanted Adam as a regular for years and now they do it? Wow at keeping IAD, guess it's the way to fix the race questioning. Surprised he did it and how are they going to explain Adam but no Kono?

I don't think they had much of a way to get Ian signed as a (presumably full time) regular before this. He started playing Adam in S2; for, like, the 1st 2 or 3 seasons he was on H50 as a recurring actor Ian also was on Murder in the First on TNT as a series regular, so he needed to be available for that show's filming schedule. That show has been cancelled so Ian is now available to do a regular role on H50. And he could do Salvation--Peter Lenkov's newest CBS show, airing right now--because it's only a summer show & because Ian hadn't been promoted to regular cast member status on H50 at the time this was filming (& because the new show doesn't seem to be getting good ratings & may be a "1 & done" show only airing this summer).

How is it that Adam Noshimuri is going to be invited by Steve to join 5-0?  He had trouble finding a job because he was an ex-con.  An ex-con that went on a prison break.  I realise that his "murder" of those two goons was self-defence, but he accepted the sentence and should now forever be an ex-con.  Apparently Steve is going to pull some strings?  What kind of role is he going to play?  He doesn't have a law enforcement background, so how is he even going to be familiar with tactics and training and all that?  However, no doubt he will become Supercop overnight.

22 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

I wouldn't say that CBS wins.  CBS still suffers in the court of public opinion and I don't think any face was saved at all.  In fact, I find it a bit patronising that they think they can fire two well-regarded actors who have been with the show from the beginning, and replace them with a trio of lower-paid minority actors.  And I read that the actress is half Indian, but she doesn't really look it to me.  From just looking at her picture, I thought she was white, possibly vaguely partly Hispanic in a Jessica Alba-like way.

11 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Exactly.  The issue is about equal treatment.  I find it interesting that they seem to think "all you people crying racism, just look, we are replacing two Asians with three" and think it will be ok.  In fact, I think that makes it worse.  Scott threatened to walk if he couldn't get his contract renegotiated the way he wanted.  CBS capitulates because they need the white guy.  Daniel and Grace, several years later, attempt to do the same.  CBS tells them to pack their bags.  They get replaced by other Asians.

The message I am getting from this.... white actors are valuable.  Asian actors are interchangeable.  And probably nobody will even notice the difference, because alllooksame.com, right??????  Pfffftttt.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I wouldn't say that CBS wins.  CBS still suffers in the court of public opinion and I don't think any face was saved at all.  In fact, I find it a bit patronising that they think they can fire two well-regarded actors who have been with the show from the beginning, and replace them with a trio of lower-paid minority actors.  And I read that the actress is half Indian, but she doesn't really look it to me.  From just looking at her picture, I thought she was white, possibly vaguely partly Hispanic in a Jessica Alba-like way.

Exactly.  The issue is about equal treatment.  I find it interesting that they seem to think "all you people crying racism, just look, we are replacing two Asians with three" and think it will be ok.  In fact, I think that makes it worse.  Scott threatened to walk if he couldn't get his contract renegotiated the way he wanted.  CBS capitulates because they need the white guy.  Daniel and Grace, several years later, attempt to do the same.  CBS tells them to pack their bags.  They get replaced by other Asians.

The message I am getting from this.... white actors are valuable.  Asian actors are interchangeable.  And probably nobody will even notice the difference, because alllooksame.com, right??????  Pfffftttt.

I totally agree with the first part. I was mostly being sarcastic with "CBS wins", just because they'll pay far less for 3 actors than they would have paid for just the 2. Business-wise, that's a win, but at what cost? PR-wise?

And I also absolutely agree that the real issue here is the fact CBS chose to replace the Asian actors with "cheaper models" while catering to every whim of the white actors (Scott Caan especially, with his particular demands and that mysterious renegotiation, but also AOL who received an oversized salary from the start, while his more famous co-stars like DDK got much less).

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

How is it that Adam Noshimuri is going to be invited by Steve to join 5-0?  He had trouble finding a job because he was an ex-con.  An ex-con that went on a prison break.  I realise that his "murder" of those two goons was self-defence, but he accepted the sentence and should now forever be an ex-con.  Apparently Steve is going to pull some strings?  What kind of role is he going to play?  He doesn't have a law enforcement background, so how is he even going to be familiar with tactics and training and all that?  However, no doubt he will become Supercop overnight.

As I remember it, Adam WASN'T a willing participant in the prison break. And it wasn't a prison break, per se. Someone set off an explosion in order to get all or some of the real bad guys (most of whom, maybe not so coincidentally, were pursued & busted by Five-0 in previous eps) out of Hālawa Correctional Facility. For whatever reason (I don't remember right now) Adam ended up being evacuated with the real bad guys after the explosion. Once they all were on the bus being moved to another jail, or wherever, the real bad guys either caused something to happen, or something they didn't cause happened, which allowed the real bad guys to escape. ADAM HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO GO ALONG, AS HE WAS CHAINED TO 1 OF THE LEGITIMATE ESCAPEES! He was actually dropping beads from a necklace he was wearing, as he & the con he was chained to moved around in the jungle (or wherever), so that HPD & Five-0, which he apparently assumed would eventually get involved in tracking the escapees, would hopefully catch on that he was the 1 dropping the beads & he was doing it so that they would at least find him... & hopefully the real escapee he was chained to. Once the surviving escapees (some had killed each other/gotten killed in other ways while on the run) were captured, the Warden at Hālawa apparently saw Adam as having been forced to go with the escapees & because he dropped his necklace beads & used them to lead HPD/Five-0 to him & the other escapees, with the surviving ones being recaptured as a result, the Warden, or whomever, commuted Adam's sentence to (basically) time served (the last part of S6, or whenever it was, until the beginning of S7) because he helped in capturing the real escaped cons.

When Five-0 was set up, the now late Governor Jameson gave McGarrett permission to staff the team with whomever he chose--no conditions. I'm assuming Governor Mahoe, or whomever the Governor is this coming season, is allowing the same thing & the other terms under which Governor Jameson set up the task force (immunity & means, etc.). And Steve is hiring Adam because he promised he'd be there for Kono & Adam/help in any way that he could after Adam (stupidly, in my book) confessed to killing those Yakuza guys (or whomever they were) without saying he did it in self-defense/believed if he hadn't done it, then his &/or Kono's life was in danger & the DA took advantage & put Adam in prison because of his family's ties to the Yakuza. He's also hiring Adam because Adam needs a job, as a paroled convict, & he knows Adam either hasn't gotten jobs or he's had trouble keeping them because of his paroled prisoner status. He's also hiring Adam to pay him back for all the information on/help with the Yakuza Adam's provided the team in the past (which is what's the press release announcing the character's new status as a regular & the casting of the 2 totally new characters said). Most of all, Steve's hiring Adam because he's ʻohana through Kono.

As I remember, Adam's a lawyer. So he does have a law background, though not specifically law enforcement. Who knows? He may have learned something about tactics through Kono (or hanging around with the team). And he knows how to shoot a gun since he also killed his brother in self-defense. And there's probably other stuff he could've learned from being in a Japanese Yakuza-connected family, though he was the "good" son, that he can potentially use in working with Five-0.

Meaghan Rath (Tani, the new girl) is Eastern Indian on her mom's side, Austrian Jewish on her dad's, & she's apparently Canadian by citizenship like Grace Park.

They aren't replacing 2 Asians with 3. Beulah Koale, the actor playing the ex-SEAL who's new to the team, is a New Zealander of Samoan descent. I don't think New Zealand or Samoa (especially not American Samoa) are considered Asian countries. Meaghan Rath, the new girl, Tani, is East Indian/Austrian/Jewish/Canadian. And Ian Anthony Dale (Kono's husband Adam) is Japanese-American. I think it's more like an even trade, 2 Asians/people of Asian descent (Grace P & DDK) for 2 others (Meaghan & Ian Anthony Dale).

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

They aren't replacing 2 Asians with 3. Beulah Koale, the actor playing the ex-SEAL who's new to the team, is a New Zealander of Samoan descent. I don't think New Zealand or Samoa (especially not American Samoa) are considered Asian countries. Meaghan Rath, the new girl, Tani, is East Indian/Austrian/Jewish/Canadian. And Ian Anthony Dale (Kono's husband Adam) is Japanese-American. I think it's more like an even trade, 2 Asians/people of Asian descent (Grace P & DDK) for 2 others (Meaghan & Ian Anthony Dale).

People of Samoan descent are considered Pacific Islanders, and in many censuses / check-the-box racial identity surveys and the like, Pacific Islanders get lumped in with Asians in a category called "Asian and Pacific Islanders".  There was some slight criticism of the show in the early days that neither Kim nor Park were of native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander heritage.  Even in this thread in the past few pages, posters here were hoping that since there was now an opportunity to add characters, that the show could add an actor of Pacific Islander heritage.

To type out "Asian and Pacific Islander" every time would be a bit tedious, so I apologise if you misconstrued that when I said "Asian", I meant "Asian and Pacific Islander".  My point is, look at this new guy, who is of Pacific Islander descent.  He's very obviously not white.  He looks a lot more like Daniel Dae Kim than he looks like Alex O'Loughlin.

And as long as we are going to split hairs, I'll point out that you are mixing up nationality with ethnicity when you say that someone from New Zealand cannot be considered Asian because New Zealand is not an Asian country.  If we want to be technical, this new guy is a New Zealander of "Asian and Pacific Islander" heritage.  If Grace Park had been raised in New Zealand instead of Canada, she'd be considered an Asian from New Zealand.

• Love 3

What the heck kind of storyline will Adam have without Kono? It's not like the team needs someone who can whip up a business plan. I can see if they used him for something like forensic accounting but I don't think there's been any indication he's got those kind of skills.

Tiny, tiny steps for bringing on someone of actual Pacific Islander ancestry who isn't mostly used for comic relief.

(edited)

From the Honolulu Star-Advertiser: Actors Chun, Wily, Balmilero added to Hawaii Five-0 regular cast

Dennis Chun, the son of actor Kam Fong who played Chin Ho Kelly in the original Hawaii Five-O, plays HPD Sergeant Duke Lukela who often works with Five-0; Taylor Wily plays Five-0 Criminal Informant & Honolulu entrepreneur Kamekona Tupuola; Kimee Balmilero plays the new Medical Examiner on the show, Dr. Noelani Cunha, who held down the fort in S7 in the Coroner's office while Max was on his Doctors Without Borders sabbatical & then took over as the permanent Medical Examiner when Max decided to join the group permanently because Masi Oka left the show at midseason.

I believe Dennis Chun is of Chinese & Hawaiian descent; Taylor Wily is of Samoan descent, & Kimee Balmilero is of Filipino descent. The 3 call Hawaii home. Chun & Wily have been with the show since S1; Balmilero joined last season (though I think I also read she appeared--apparently as a different character--in an earlier episode of the show).

Since this makes 6 new/upgraded to regular status cast members for S8 (these 3 plus Ian Anthony Dale, Meaghan Rath, & Beulah Koale who were announced as new regulars this past Wednesday) with the existing 4 cast members (Alex, Scott, Chi & Jorge) that gives us a total of 10 actors who are considered regular cast members. I'd be surprised, however, if all 10 actors appeared in the opening credits based on time constraints alone. I'm betting Chun, Wily, & Balmilero will still be in the "Also Starring" credits after the main titles, mostly because they may not be in every episode based on the functions of their characters. But I'm also betting they'll be the first 3 actors listed in that part of the credits since they're considered regulars now.

There is precedent for having a regular cast member not included in the main title credits. In S2, Lauren German's character, Lori Weston, was a regular character & in every episode from 2-16 (15 eps) but she was always billed as "Also Starring" after the main titles where the other regulars were credited. I don't know, but some of the reason for this may have been so they didn't have to change the credits 2 weeks in a row, to add Masi Oka the premiere week of S2 & then Lauren the next week--though they do change the credits in a timely manner to remove actors from the opening credits (Michelle Borth, Masi Oka) once they've left the show, including in midseason like Masi did.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a needed closing parenthesis.
On 7/20/2017 at 0:12 PM, blackwing said:

However, no doubt he will become Supercop overnight.

Taking aside the show is largely ridiculous, I could see him as some sort of CI. For example, maybe he actually sets up his own legit business, but "hears things." 

Of course, this show, he's going to be going on raids and arguing with Lou, former SWAT commander. 

On 7/19/2017 at 7:50 PM, ally said:

At least two of the newest cast members are young and can be a little more athletic than ... Jerry.

A lawn chair is more athletic than Jerry.

3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Since this makes 6 new/upgraded to regular status cast members for S8 (these 3 plus Ian Anthony Dale, Meaghan Rath, & Beulah Koale who were announced as new regulars this past Wednesday) with the existing 4 cast members (Alex, Scott, Chi & Jorge) that gives us a total of 10 actors who are considered regular cast members.id.

So they can afford to upgrade 6 actors to regulars but they couldn't afford to bring DDK to pay equity with Scott Caan?  Yeah, that makes sense!

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, jhlipton said:

So they can afford to upgrade 6 actors to regulars but they couldn't afford to bring DDK to pay equity with Scott Caan?  Yeah, that makes sense!

It says a lot!  They ain't paying them nothing (I wanted to use the "s" word, but I didn't want to offend anyone)!  No, I'm sorry that wasn't nice, but I'm sure they can budget it where they are making whatever they were originally paying DDK and GP or less.  Regular just means they have to be available at all times to be filmed on any given episode.  When they brought Michelle Borth on to play Catherine she was a regular but they may have used her in a couple of scenes for an episode or not at all.  She ended up moving to Hawaii because she had to be available for whenever she was needed, but unlike the core 4 she didn't have a set schedule, which made it hard to do other projects and guests appearances on other shows.  She was still a regular in season 4 when Kono got back, but they barely used her.  I guess CBS figures they might as well go all out since they already blew off the two originals.  It's probably the final season anyway. 

Oh and I probably shouldn't have said that about Jerry and Lou, but I'm in the same boat so I figure it gives me leeway.

Edited by ally
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, jhlipton said:

A lawn chair is more athletic than Jerry.

Perhaps I could've phrased that better. What I was trying to say was, among the 6 actors involved, 4 have been promoted from "recurring" to "regular" cast status (Ian Anthony Dale, Dennis Chun, Taylor Wily, & Kimee Balmilero), & 2 (Meaghan Rath & Beulah Koale) are entirely new "regular" cast members. I thought that's how it came across, & I apologize for the lack of clarity.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a missing word.
3 hours ago, ally said:

It says a lot!  They ain't paying them nothing (I wanted to use the "s" word, but I didn't want to offend anyone)!  No, I'm sorry that wasn't nice, but I'm sure they can budget it where they are making whatever they were originally paying DDK and GP or less.  Regular just means they have to be available at all times to be filmed on any given episode.  When they brought Michelle Borth on to play Catherine she was a regular but they may have used her in a couple of scenes for an episode or not at all.  She ended up moving to Hawaii because she had to be available for whenever she was needed, but unlike the core 4 she didn't have a set schedule, which made it hard to do other projects and guests appearances on other shows.  She was still a regular in season 4 when Kono got back, but they barely used her.  I guess CBS figures they might as well go all out since they already blew off the two originals.  It's probably the final season anyway. 

Oh and I probably shouldn't have said that about Jerry and Lou, but I'm in the same boat so I figure it gives me leeway.

And Masi Oka was in the same situation as Michelle Borth: Considered a "regular" cast member, presumably with those "perks" & everything, but used as if he were still "recurring" as he was in S1 when the Max Bergman character was introduced (not appearing in every episode in a season).

My feeling, honestly, is that Dennis, Taylor, & Kimee may also be in a similar situation, considered (& given the perks, etc., of being) "regular" cast members, but still having the same type of "recurring" situation they all had already as far as the number of episodes they actually appear in this season.

I mean, there are now 10 actors considered "regular" cast members (the 4 existing cast members who stayed when DDK & GP left; the 4 cast members promoted from "recurring" to "regular" status; & the 2 entirely new cast members as of S8).

There's probably no way all 10 will get screentime in all 23 eps (or however many they're filming this season)--& we probably already know Scott will only be in, like, 18 of those apparently 23 eps they're filming this season because of his contract, which should at least give more screentime to 1 or more of the actors from among Dennis, Kimee, & Taylor (&, to be fair, I don't think Scott was the only 1 who renegotiated his contract before the original 1 was over, as some have said upthread; I do remember Alex was signed for additional seasons after the show started, before his original contract was due to end--as I remember, Alex was signed for S6 & S7 while he was still on his original contract; those 2 seasons were added to his contract [& probably Scott's] after the show started... & Scott renegotiated his contract & was skipping 5 eps a season even before his daughter was born).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

Wow. CBS was shook.

Of course all 3 of these people are probably paid in peanuts, but it's gotta be nice for them to have a steady (if minute) paycheck as opposed to waiting for the phone to ring.

And all that because CBS wouldn't show the appropriate respect to DDK and GP.

It's my understanding Grace wanted 10 episodes off, but with the same pay.  They couldn't work that out.  Her son is pre-school aged, so traveling back & forth all the time was harder on her.  I could understand letting her go.

But DDK?  Esp now they're adding all these other cast members?  I wonder if the additions are because of the back-lash.  Couldn't they have given DDK the same back-end deal as Alex & Scott?

23 minutes ago, roamyn said:

It's my understanding Grace wanted 10 episodes off, but with the same pay.  They couldn't work that out.  Her son is pre-school aged, so traveling back & forth all the time was harder on her.  I could understand letting her go.

But DDK?  Esp now they're adding all these other cast members?  I wonder if the additions are because of the back-lash.  Couldn't they have given DDK the same back-end deal as Alex & Scott?

I don't think an exact number of episodes Grace wanted out of was ever specified in the press. The way I always saw her "demand" written in the press was "(she) wanted to do less than half the season's episodes, then be written out permanently." And she wanted the same pay as Alex & Scott for doing less than half the work they'll be doing (for the most part, considering Scott's "5 episodes less than Alex each season" deal). I've heard they're supposedly only doing 23 eps this season; half of that would be 11.5, which I suppose would've either been raised to 12 eps, or lowered to 11 in Grace's case. So she didn't even wanna do 11 or 12 eps; she wanted out before that.

They were gonna give DDK's production company a development deal with CBS (DDK's company already has a show, The Good Doctor starring Freddie Highmore from Bates Motel, on ABC's schedule this fall), plus a raise which would've paid him 10-15% less than Alex & Scott this season (I think that's what his final offer ended up being, at least according to CBS; DDK's camp said it wasn't that good). Presumably the development deal was in lieu of a backend deal for DDK.

6 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I honestly think CBS made it up in their minds that if neither took the offer that was fine and if not they'd have a contingency.  Their contracts were up and they'd just find newer cheaper people to fill their roles since this show probably won't go past season 8.  I do think that the other Hawaiian natives are part of the backlash, but after all these years it's the very least CBS should do and it should have been done a long time ago.  It's just my opinion that with DDK being co-executive producer for a television show on a rival tv network it wouldn't look good for CBS if his show turns out to be successful, since I'm sure they were given an opportunity to pick it up for their network, so it's somewhat of a business move.  ABC is already advertising for it and they started this in the middle of July.  I don't think the show starts until the end of September.   It's called  The Good Doctor starring Freddy Highmore.  It's supposed to be based on a South Korean tv series of the same name.  I don't watch a lot of shows on ABC anymore, but I'm going to give it a try.  It seems a little like Doogie Howser, M.D. (I'm telling my age), except Freddy Highmore's character has high-functioning Autism or I guess Asperger's Syndrome.

I did notice this season GP was missing a little bit more from the screen or she would disappear throughout the episodes, but I know she shot a film in Canada and someone posted on twitter during a H50 filming week that they had just seen her at some coffee bar I think.  I don't know how old her parents are or if they have any health issues, but I imagine if they are in Canada she would want to spend more time with them.  I think Scott's mother passed away during his first few seasons on H50 so I imagine if he and his father are close he might want to spend some time with him while he's still around.  I think I read somewhere and it might have just been someone that posted it that Masi Oka had various business ventures, some being in Japan and after a while he just felt it was too much traveling for the small amount of filming he did on H50.  7 years is a pretty long time to be on a show that allows very little opportunity to take on other big projects and roles depending on what the requirements are for your interests as an entertainer and entrepreneur.

5 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I don't think an exact number of episodes Grace wanted out of was ever specified in the press. The way I always saw her "demand" written in the press was "(she) wanted to do less than half the season's episodes, then be written out permanently." And she wanted the same pay as Alex & Scott for doing less than half the work they'll be doing (for the most part, considering Scott's "5 episodes less than Alex each season" deal). I've heard they're supposedly only doing 23 eps this season; half of that would be 11.5, which I suppose would've either been raised to 12 eps, or lowered to 11 in Grace's case. So she didn't even wanna do 11 or 12 eps; she wanted out before that.

They were gonna give DDK's production company a development deal with CBS (DDK's company already has a show, The Good Doctor starring Freddie Highmore from Bates Motel, on ABC's schedule this fall), plus a raise which would've paid him 10-15% less than Alex & Scott this season (I think that's what his final offer ended up being, at least according to CBS; DDK's camp said it wasn't that good). Presumably the development deal was in lieu of a backend deal for DDK.

Oops, I wish I've would've seen this before I posted.  Your post explains a lot more.  I didn't know that about DDK and I forgot to take into consideration this seasons episode count.  Thanks for clarifying.

8 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Perhaps I could've phrased that better. What I was trying to say was, among the 6 actors involved, 4 have been promoted from "recurring" to "regular" cast status (Ian Anthony Dale, Dennis Chun, Taylor Wily, & Kimee Balmilero), & 2 (Meaghan Rath & Beulah Koale) are entirely new "regular" cast members. I thought that's how it came across, & I apologize for the lack of clarity.

The point is that there are 6 new regulars -- even promoting from recurring to regular involves a salary increase, I think.  

If CBS had floated rumors about the deals (4 Asians might be promoted and and another 2 added!) while negotiating with Kim (Park took herself out of the running early), it would have gone down a lot smoother.

1 hour ago, ally said:

It seems a little like Doogie Howser, M.D. (I'm telling my age), except Freddy Highmore's character has high-functioning Autism or I guess Asperger's Syndrome.

It seems like Dougie "House"er to me.  No thanks.

• Love 1

I have absolutely no doubt that the decision to "promote" the characters of Duke, the medical examiner and Kamekona to "regular" are 100% due to the backlash.  "We're not racist!  We added SIX Asians to the cast!   Just like "I'm not homophobic, I have LOTS of gay friends."

I have little doubt that these characters will continue to get the same amount of screen time they currently get.  This is all for optics and appearance, with little actual substance.

CBS realised that they have stepped into a yooge pile o' shit and they and their PR firm are working overtime to try and save whatever face they can.  I see through them.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, jhlipton said:

It seems like Dougie "House"er to me.  No thanks.

Oh that's right! Thanks for reminding me the other co-executive producer is David Shore who created House.  Hmm, I've seen both so now I'm not so sure I'm interested anymore.  Oh, well.  Congrats to DDK on his new endeavors and at least he's moving up in the entertainment industry into more of the business aspect, which could be more profitable.  Hopefully his production company will have many successful shows or movies.

(edited)

From NPR: Hawaii Five-0 Casting Announcement Doesn't Fix CBS's Larger Diversity Problem

This includes some (I think) interesting comments from Masi Oka, both in support of DDK & GP & perhaps alluding to the issue of money being 1 of the unspoken reasons as to why he left the show & his character Max was written out at the last midseason.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add necessary wording to the link.
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Perhaps I could've phrased that better. What I was trying to say was, among the 6 actors involved, 4 have been promoted from "recurring" to "regular" cast status (Ian Anthony Dale, Dennis Chun, Taylor Wily, & Kimee Balmilero), & 2 (Meaghan Rath & Beulah Koale) are entirely new "regular" cast members. 

And all are being paid a pittance compared to Alex and Scott.

11 hours ago, roamyn said:

It's my understanding Grace wanted 10 episodes off, but with the same pay.

They get paid per episode.  Everyone who complains that GP wanted the same salary while working less is getting it wrong.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

They get paid per episode.  Everyone who complains that GP wanted the same salary while working less is getting it wrong.

I think this one is more in a gray area than DDK's case. They would still need another female regular, so it's more understandable (and not necessarily racist) they wouldn't pay her what she wanted. Although I guess Scott's deal kind of forced CBS to upgrade other characters too, so it still doesn't seem entirely fair. 

6 hours ago, pinkglove said:

I think this one is more in a gray area than DDK's case. They would still need another female regular, so it's more understandable (and not necessarily racist) they wouldn't pay her what she wanted. Although I guess Scott's deal kind of forced CBS to upgrade other characters too, so it still doesn't seem entirely fair. 

I don't think it's a gray area at all.  As you pointed out, when Scott wanted less episodes, they cast more characters and/or expanded the roles of others, all while paying him his high per-episode salary.  They could have done the same for Grace, but elected not to.  Double standards.  

• Love 2
19 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

I know that.  She wanted more $ for each episode, so that it equaled what she was she would earn for 18 (similar to Scott's total).

(edited)
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

I know that.  She wanted more $ for each episode, so that it equaled what she was she would earn for 18 (similar to Scott's total).

But Grace also didn't wanna do 18 eps this season (or however many Scott ends up doing this season--I based my figure of him doing 18 on there being 23 eps this season, which I've heard they're doing, & Scott still sitting out only 5 eps per season; 23 - 5 = 18); she wanted to do less than half of the eps (less than 11 or 12, based on a 23 ep season) so, like, no more than 10 probably (since 11.5 is half of 23), then get written out after the 10 (or however many) eps, & make the same amount per ep as Alex & Scott for that. At least that's the way I've always understood it when I've seen her "demands" in print. And I can be crappy at math, so maybe I'm figuring it out wrong & have been figuring it wrong all the time (& I also did "show my work", as it were, explaining why I think it's this way). I'm starting to think they should've just kept her on & then killed her off in or before Ep 10; there's canonical precedent for killing Kono off--the actor who played the original, male version of Kono was killed off in the 4th season of the original show because he either said or did something/behaved in some other way that pissed off Jack Lord, so Jack Lord had him fired.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add some hopefully clarifying wording.
(edited)
16 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

there's canonical precedent for killing Kono off--the actor who played the original, male version of Kono was killed off in the 4th season of the original show because he either said or did something/behaved in some other way that pissed off Jack Lord, so Jack Lord had him fired.

The original Kono wasn't killed; he was just gone after season 4 and never mentioned again. The story behind it is on Mike Quigley's Five-O FAQ page. (Mike Quigley is a fan and his site is the definitive original recipe Five-O website. He started it in 1994, and I love how he has never updated the mid-90s Geocities look of it.)

The "truth about Zulu getting fired" is as follows, told to me by a friend of the late James MacArthur, who was witness to related events. Sometime during the 4th season, the Coast Guard (with whom Zulu had served before becoming an entertainer), came to CBS and said they wanted to honor "one of their own" by having a special dinner and event with Zulu as the honoree. They wanted funds and publicity from CBS to sponsor the event. CBS initially agreed. Plans began to proceed for the gala event. However, when Jack Lord, who considered himself "the star" of Five-O, got wind of it, he made a fuss. He went to CBS and threatened if they allowed it to happen, he'd leave the show. So CBS decided to compromise and told the Coast Guard they either had to honor Lord (who never had anything to do with the Coast Guard in Hawaii or anywhere else) and Zulu both together, or do nothing. The Coast Guard decided it would not make sense to include a non-Coast Guard person in an official Coast Guard event, so they cancelled the whole thing. A publicity guy for CBS, who happened to be Jewish, was delegated to break the news to Zulu, who was devastated, and he took it out on the publicity guy. In his anger, Zulu slurred the man, using some pretty horrible anti-semitic terms. This was on the set and witnessed by several people, none of whom knew the background behind why Zulu was yelling and calling this guy and everybody else at CBS racist names. People were shocked and stunned and Zulu went home in tears. And when word of the incident got back to Leonard Freeman and the rest of CBS, Zulu was done for. Fired. He got a phone call soon after, telling him he need not return to the set ever again.

However, original Chin Ho was killed off at the end of season 10. This is what Quigley says about it:

Kam Fong's character Chin Ho Kelly was murdered in the final episode of the 10th season, A Death in the Family. At the Five-O convention in 1996, Kam said that he originally wanted Chin Ho to "retire gracefully," and fought the idea of having his character murdered. There was even talk of the production company suing Kam for breaking his contract! Then someone told him that it was an honour if you were a regular in a TV show and you were knocked off ... this meant that no one else could play your character. Despite Chin Ho's demise, he reappeared to play a part in the "new" Five-O TV pilot filmed in 1997!

I've always wondered if there was some animosity from Jack Lord toward Kam Fong that led to him getting fired and to his character's murder. It seemed like for a couple of seasons, Chin Ho was written as increasingly lazy and not very competent; in the episode where he was murdered, it was basically due to his own bumbling in blowing his cover and then the murderers just tossed his corpse out of a moving car in front of Five-O headquarters. The whole thing seemed really disrespectful to both the character and the actor. On one of the DVD extras, there was an interview with Kam Fong, done many years later, where he tiptoed around the subject, saying that Jack Lord always did what was "best for the show," but there definitely seemed to be some hurt feelings there. So I want to know what the story is behind his leaving the show, but if Quigley doesn't have it, then I don't think anyone ever will, since pretty much everyone who was with the show back then are dead now.

And that last sentence is one of my favorite facts about the show. There was a 1997 pilot for a new series and Fong, along with several other original cast members (James MacArthur, Zulu, Herman Wedemeyer, Harry Endo, Moe Keale), reprised their roles. A lot of the people involved with the pilot -- but none of the producers -- knew that Chin Ho had been killed off in season 10, but no one said anything about it because Fong reportedly needed the money. Eventually they figured it out after filming and scrapped the whole idea, which is why that pilot will never see the light of day. I was kind of hoping it would end up as an extra on one of the DVDs for the original series, but no such luck. I wonder if a print of it even exists now.

Edited by fishcakes
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

The "truth about Zulu getting fired" is as follows, told to me by a friend of the late James MacArthur, who was witness to related events. Sometime during the 4th season, the Coast Guard (with whom Zulu had served before becoming an entertainer), came to CBS and said they wanted to honor "one of their own" by having a special dinner and event with Zulu as the honoree. They wanted funds and publicity from CBS to sponsor the event. CBS initially agreed. Plans began to proceed for the gala event. However, when Jack Lord, who considered himself "the star" of Five-O, got wind of it, he made a fuss.

Hmm, that's interesting.  Years ago we were watching an old James Bond movie when I made a comment that I didn't know Jack Lord was on a Bond movie.  My dad commented, "Yeah, once h got that job on Hawaii 5-0 he thought he was too good to be in any other James Bond movies and they had to recast the role.  I mentioned that I didn't know he was that arrogant and my dad smirked at me.  Who knew? 

• Love 1

From E! Online: How Grace Park Prepared for Battlestar Galactica Comic Con Reunion After Hawaii Five-0 Exit

This is in both print & embedded video versions on the same page. I read the print version & watched the video version. Having watched the video, & having heard her actually be asked about it, I got the feeling that H50 may now be firmly in Grace's past--a feeling I didn't necessarily get from just reading the same interview in print.

And, honestly, if I got the correct vibe she was giving off about her current feelings about H50 that makes me kinda sad (& yeah I get that some actors aren't as emotionally invested in their characters & the works those characters come from as [at least some of] the fans are/can be). Where DDK, in the letter to the fans he posted on his Facebook after his leaving was announced, seemed perhaps sad to not be playing Chin anymore, Grace seemed, to me, to be more like "That's finally over! Let's move on to the next thing!" here.

Towards the end of the interview she makes the interesting (to me anyway) comment that she doesn't want fame. If she doesn't want fame, why continue to be an actress (which I assume she's doing, continuing to be an actress) & sometime fashion model? Surely there might be something else she could do that's equally fulfilling to her, as the acting may be, but that could be done with little to no fame involved (or at least way less fame than having been on the BSG & H50 reboots has given her).

I don't know... 

I'm disappointed with CBS to be losing DDK and GP over a measely $5,000 per episode.  These two are in virtually every episode, unlike the "leads" and frankly, I've enjoyed their stories much more than the "leads."  I've been looking to trim my fall/spring television viewing schedule.  This will help.

• Love 4
On 7/24/2017 at 8:40 PM, BW Manilowe said:

If she doesn't want fame, why continue to be an actress (which I assume she's doing, continuing to be an actress) & sometime fashion model? Surely there might be something else she could do that's equally fulfilling to her.

Acting is fun and someone can enjoy being at the top of her craft without seeking fame per se.

• Love 3

Or one can define the level of success that works best for them. We talk about HITG! actors on this site all the time, but many of them have long careers popping up on various shows or supporting roles in movies. Who's to say that's not fulfilling to them?

• Love 2