Type keyword(s) to search

Heidi Klum: Try Not to Hate Her for Being Beautiful

• Start Topic

I really like Heidi. She's got a sense of humor and she sticks up for the concepts of the show as they have been laid out - "one day you're in, the next you're out" - in a way neither Kors nor Garcia want(ed) to respect.

I think people started to prize Heidi's contributions more when the first two All-Stars hired 'blonde supermodel' types who proceeded to be awful. Heidi is sui generis, not generic. I think they know that now.

• Love 6

I've always liked Heidi, but I appreciated her more when she was a guest judge on the finale of Under the Gun.  Oskar wouldn't have won if it wasn't for her.  She has a way of getting to the point and cutting through the crap.

• Love 8

I've always liked Heidi, but I appreciated her more when she was a guest judge on the finale of Under the Gun.  Oskar wouldn't have won if it wasn't for her.  She has a way of getting to the point and cutting through the crap.

Agreed! That was the best judging discussion of the series.

• Love 3

This is from a MSN slide show this morning about the Emmys.

10 Unforgettable Moments From the 2015 Emmys Red Carpet

8. "PROJECT RUNWAY" HAS A GREAT WINNER
Heidi Klum's Emmys outfit would earn our auf wiedersehen if we were "Project Runway" judges, but while on the red carpet she dished on the Season 14 finale, which they just taped. She said they have a "great winner" after a roller coaster season. Heidi said Tim Gunn has never cursed this much, and it's because the designers weren't up to snuff this year. But at least they got a good winner out of it!

Serious snark and pretty damn insulting.  True, but insulting.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

But, but... I feel like we have barely seen the designers design!

As a poster in another thread mentioned, I want to see them select fabric and SEW!

And have time to finish a hem. Or put in a sleeve.

And sew something other than skivvies.

• Love 5

I'm sorry, but that dress looks like something Street Walker Big Bird would wear quite successfully.  Her fashion choices have been quite questionable lately, such as the one winning design from last season that looked like what you see in a car wash.  Maybe Heidi is trying to cover up the fact that she's not 25 anymore and is desperate to remain relevant in her mid 40's

• Love 3

I'm sorry, but that dress looks like something Street Walker Big Bird would wear quite successfully. Her fashion choices have been quite questionable lately, such as the one winning design from last season that looked like what you see in a car wash. Maybe Heidi is trying to cover up the fact that she's not 25 anymore and is desperate to remain relevant in her mid 40's

The many huge rings on her fingers make her hands look like she's 70, I think. I'm in my late 40s, and I swear my hands don't look that wrinkled and leathered. I'm assuming she has tanned too much, but maybe it's just the rings that make her look like she should be wearing a muumuu and high-heeled feather mules, which might have been a better look than what she wore.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 1

I'm sorry, but that dress looks like something Street Walker Big Bird would wear quite successfully. Her fashion choices have been quite questionable lately, such as the one winning design from last season that looked like what you see in a car wash. Maybe Heidi is trying to cover up the fact that she's not 25 anymore and is desperate to remain relevant in her mid 40's

Besides Street Walker Big Bird, she was also serving some "Sound of Music" realness----what with the whole make-your-own-dress-out-of-curtains vibe.

She did not use the accessories wall thoughtfully.

Heidi, girl, this could have been you:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3243202/Naomi-Campbell-vision-white-Emmys-afterparty-stunning-gown-dramatic-train-revealing-draped-back.html

Naomi Campbell slayed wearing......Zac Posen

• Love 2

So... Every year Heidi has a big star-studded Halloween party, for which she prepares her costume in advance (last year she was an old lady with a gray wig, house dress, sweater, & walking cane, as well as being made up with "liver spots" on her skin; she's also been dressed in some pretty amazing costumes before last year). Here's a pic of the early preps for this year's costume; she's apparently being aided in its preparation by an entertainment industry prosthetics & special effects company. And it's really hard telling what she's gonna be dressed as this year. The pic is from Entertainment Tonight's Twitter feed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/etnow/status/650536101665484800/photo/1

Every year Heidi has a big star-studded Halloween party, for which she prepares her costume in advance .............And it's really hard telling what she's gonna be dressed as this year.

Here it is:

http://www.eonline.com/news/712053/heidi-klum-s-boobs-are-out-of-control-as-she-transforms-into-sexy-jessica-rabbit-at-halloween-party?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

She looks too freaky. I don't see Jessica Rabbit, I see aging bad cosmetic surgery victim. At least she got her precious boobies!

Yeah. I've looked at Heidi's party pic off & on since it was linked. Honestly, I think at least the face was a "miss" this year. I don't see Jessica Rabbit either; not as I remember her from the movie (movies?). Heidi's incarnation comes off as "harsh", somehow, to me. But, yeah, Heidi at least got her big boobies.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, GaT said:

I ran across this "Good Genes or Good Docs" on Heidi on TMZ, & I had no idea she had that much surgery. I absolutely do not recognize the 1998 picture as being her, it looks like 2 different people to me.

Huh?  It doesn't look that different to me. The hair and makeup are dramatically different, but that's no surprise due to the eras. Other things LOOK like they might be different until you really study them. There's a bit of the illusion that her jaw may have been longer in the old photo, for example, but I think it's really just due to a combination of makeup, camera angle, and that bit of extra flesh age has put under her ears (that being a real possible consequence of age).  

The nose looks mostly the same--it's just the difference in angles on the photos that puts that in doubt at first glance. The bridge might, I repeat might, be a little thinner, but that could be an illusion of the photo angles too. The nostrils are definitely the same, and the tip doesn't look particularly changed.

Her smile lines are in the same areas--the only suspicious thing is that there should be more of them, but since the placement is the same it tends to argue that at most there's just been stuff to smooth her skin and not anything changing the configuration of her face. The hairline and forehead are again, suspiciously the SAME, not different, but if she's been botoxed it hasn't changed any of the essentials of her face shape or features.

Photo 1 is with her body turned at an angle, and Photo 2 is dead on both face and body. So really it's not the best way to compare anyway.

Even the lighting is conspiring to make her look different here. Her eyes are fairly distinctively hazel. But in the older photo due to the lighting they look almost blue instead. It's that lighting difference, as well as the much heavier amount of eyeliner she wears now. Even the hair color contributes to all of this, because that yellow-white blend she has now (and has for years) changes the appearance of her face a lot from a version of blond which used to be a variation of light brown. 

Last of all, she's also learned the trick of not distorting her face with too big a smile. Young Heidi clearly didn't do that.

In other words, I think she's had the usual fillers and such, but very little if any cutting/skin being moved, bones shaved, etc.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, GaT said:

I ran across this "Good Genes or Good Docs" on Heidi on TMZ, & I had no idea she had that much surgery. I absolutely do not recognize the 1998 picture as being her, it looks like 2 different people to me.

Had I been shown just the "before" photo I don't think that I would have thought, Oh! That's Heidi Klum.

• Love 1

Last of all, she's also learned the trick of not distorting her face with too big a smile. Young Heidi clearly didn't do that.

Personally, too big or not, I prefer the smile from "Young Heidi." It seems much more relaxed and genuine than the more posed, older Heidi.

Nevertheless, I'm with you, Kromm. Fillers and age. Maybe a nose job. But otherwise, she looks the same but older to me. She looks good. I just wish she'd stop picking crazy dresses to wear to red carpet events. That Big Bird-esque yellow gown still haunts me. (LOL.)

• Love 2

She looks like she may have had her nose trimmed a little, but the only really noticeable changes I'm seeing otherwise are that she's learned how to smile without distorting her face and she's not quite so painfully thin.

• Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, NewDigs said:

Had I been shown just the "before" photo I don't think that I would have thought, Oh! That's Heidi Klum.

The thing is that I agree with that, even though at the same time I don't think she's had very much done. If you actually look feature by feature, one by one, almost nothing has changed. But when you look at it all, in total, that's where she looks quite different. But that actually says to me that it's the makeup and hair--and that they DO make a huge difference on her. Because other than possible the bridge of her nose (and that's far from certain, given the angles of the photos), and the fact that she looks jowlier (not less... but more--but again that could just be angles), I don't see features that actually look different.  Just as I said, the total package. 

And if you look at her no makeup selfie from last year... I think you can see the resemblance to that younger woman as well (as well as more age). The younger version had makeup on, of course, but not a ton. 

Zc4ifez.jpgUlUJOiT.jpg?1

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Amazing to think that a beautiful woman should have to "learn to smile" to be more appealing to others. Not smile because she's happy. Not just show genuine emotion. Instead, present a facsimile of emotion that is most appealing to others. Appalling. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, azshadowwalker said:

Amazing to think that a beautiful woman should have to "learn to smile" to be more appealing to others. Not smile because she's happy. Not just show genuine emotion. Instead, present a facsimile of emotion that is most appealing to others. Appalling. 

That's a nice general statement, but do you really think it's fair brick to throw at society imposing that on her, when we're talking about someone who is a model? Someone who's specifically in the business of making themselves more appealing to others for her own financial gain?  You're acting like she's a victim having to adjust that, rather than her being a canny businesswoman doing it for her own financial benefit.

• Love 3

I can't speak for the poster, but for me, I think of it as an issue for the overall industry. The way women are presented in media, especially women's magazines, there is a serious lacking of genuineness. Everything seems to be overly posed, rather than allowing for a genuine smile to shine through. That is, if they're even allowed to smile at all. I just don't understand that train of thought. Why do marketers and advertisers think we'd rather look at a severe (or even blank-looking) face rather than allow the model to smile, or be her genuine self? I noticed that when creating a website for a hair salon. In looking at other local sites in the industry, I was amazed to find that none of their sites had a single photo of a model who was smiling in any way. And then it annoyed me - upscale spa is supposed to equal "expressionless"? Aren't people supposed to find those places enjoyable, relaxing, fun environments? What's fun about a model who looks like she's unhappy? Should I be impressed with a place that advertises like that? Why would I want to go there?  

I mean, obviously in some cases it depends on the product. You don't want a model to be smiling in an ad for something that's a grave and sensitive topic. But for places where they're supposed to be able to be themselves, on the red carpet, etc., why should Heidi have to put on a frozen "smile" rather than a genuine one (or none at all, if she's not feeling it)?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, sinkwriter said:

I can't speak for the poster, but for me, I think of it as an issue for the overall industry. The way women are presented in media, especially women's magazines, there is a serious lacking of genuineness. Everything seems to be overly posed, rather than allowing for a genuine smile to shine through. That is, if they're even allowed to smile at all. I just don't understand that train of thought. Why do marketers and advertisers think we'd rather look at a severe (or even blank-looking) face rather than allow the model to smile, or be her genuine self? I noticed that when creating a website for a hair salon. In looking at other local sites in the industry, I was amazed to find that none of their sites had a single photo of a model who was smiling in any way. And then it annoyed me - upscale spa is supposed to equal "expressionless"? Aren't people supposed to find those places enjoyable, relaxing, fun environments? What's fun about a model who looks like she's unhappy? Should I be impressed with a place that advertises like that? Why would I want to go there?  

I mean, obviously in some cases it depends on the product. You don't want a model to be smiling in an ad for something that's a grave and sensitive topic. But for places where they're supposed to be able to be themselves, on the red carpet, etc., why should Heidi have to put on a frozen "smile" rather than a genuine one (or none at all, if she's not feeling it)?

Okay, but I'd still say it's a criticism OF Heidi rather than a "that poor girl" kind of thing. Heidi is a mogul. Someone who not only rose to the top of the industry via her own positioning of herself, but who also judged and promoted those standards in many others (most Americans perhaps aren't aware that she's run a Top Model franchise in Germany for almost as long as Tyra Banks ran one in the US). If you and the OP really believe this is a problem, Heidi is part of the problem rather than some victim of it.

I think she may be both (part of the problem and a victim of it). Starting out, she may have learned quickly that people already successful in the industry wanted things presented a certain way and if she were to become successful in that industry, she'd have to play the game. If the game's already tainted, she didn't have much of a choice and that sucks.

At the same time, she has become very popular and well-positioned in the industry and it seems with that power she has made no moves to elevate the industry or make positive changes. 

But perhaps she doesn't see anything wrong with the industry or how women are presented in the media. I think we've seen a little bit of that in her Project Runway judging comments.

2 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

I think she may be both (part of the problem and a victim of it). Starting out, she may have learned quickly that people already successful in the industry wanted things presented a certain way and if she were to become successful in that industry, she'd have to play the game. If the game's already tainted, she didn't have much of a choice and that sucks.

At the same time, she has become very popular and well-positioned in the industry and it seems with that power she has made no moves to elevate the industry or make positive changes. 

But perhaps she doesn't see anything wrong with the industry or how women are presented in the media. I think we've seen a little bit of that in her Project Runway judging comments.

There was a Reality show Emmy roundtable a few years ago where (on the subject of Reality show contestants) she said the following (it strikes me as her stern German aspect coming out):

"People shouldn't whine, because they know what they're getting into".

I think this is how she feels about models too. 

• Love 2