Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E07: Switch Up Night

• Start Topic

Yes, lots of interesting edits last night. Witney reminds me of Chelsea, very laid back and kind of snarky, though even younger. "I've got a Backstreet Boy", "these are YOUR points". When she's on screen though, you can't take your eyes off her. 

So, Alexa needs a cheerleader and Carlos needs poking in the muscles. Who knew? Worked really well for them. I was kind of astounded at Carlos, like Hayes in the jazz the week before. Big transformation.

One truth about this show, jazz/contemporary and Argentine Tango will always get higher than average scores. It's like a gift.

Love, love Emma. Got to see her live on a cruise ship, dancing with other pros. She's an amazing, dynamic performer. Wanted to be an actress, and you can tell. She's also a complete sweetheart, which is why she probably gets the "too ripe or not ripe enough". If Alek is going to make her happy, I'm all for it. 

Mark was handling Paula so well, I yelled at the screen "stop it! They'll start giving you the oldsters!" His milkman entrance was a classic.

• Love 6

Overall, I thought this was a really good show that I enjoyed very much.  I thought it was crazy the way 10s were being thrown around, but what can you do? 

Tamar and Louis - Tamar is technically very good, but I didn't think this was her best dance.  She seemed to have some balance issues and was a bit "flail-ly" maybe?  It wasn't bad but it wasn't really good either.  Or I should say she wasn't consistent.  Some parts looked very good to me; others not so much.  She really does seem to have trouble emoting when she's dancing.  So far I think the Charleston she did with Val early on was her best dance.  But I thought her scores were too low, even given the facial-expression problems.

Hayes and Allison - I don't think Allison did him any favors.  That was not a good dance.  I actually thought he was almost better than she was.  She was very flail-ly as well and not at all smooth.  It was a decent effort, and I thought Hayes did pretty well, but I wasn't crazy about Allison's choreography or the jerkiness of the dance as a whole.

Paula and Mark - Well, alrighty then.  < lol >  I don't really know what to think.  It was typical bizarre Mark choreography, but it was fun, and I enjoyed the creativeness.  And only Mark could have pulled off that opening strut.  That was awesome.  It was very slow for a jive, and if she did any kicks or flicks, I totally missed them.  I'm ready for her to go.

Alek and Emma - I really liked this one.  I thought Alek did a great job and was very smooth.  It was a pretty dance that I thoroughly enjoyed.  Really good job.  I wish he could stay with Emma.  Not that Witney isn't good because she is, but he seems to be more at ease when dancing with Emma.  Or maybe it was just a fluke.  But I think this was his best dance.

Bindi and Val - You know, I almost wish these two had been paired from the start.  This was a fantastic dance - I think she really inspired Val; the choreography was great.  And I really like the chemistry between these two better than between either Bindi  and Derek or Val and Tamar.  This was I think the best dance she's done.  I loved it.   When they first posted the scores, I thought she should have gotten at least one more 10.  This dance was every bit as good, if not better, than her contemporary last week.  Don't know why Bruno gave her a 10 for that one but only a 9 for this one.  But by the time the show was over, there was no doubt in my mind she should have scored higher for this dance.  If Carlos was worth a 39 and Alexa a 40, then Bindi was certainly worth more than a 37.  I went back and re-watched this just to make sure I wasn't misremembering, and it was just as good the second time around.  Honestly, this was my favorite dance of the night.  I loved the choreography, the music, the dancing, etc. 

Carlos and Lindsay - I wouldn't have given it 3 10s, but this was one of the best dances of the night.  Carlos really improved this week with Lindsay.  He did a great job, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  This was, I thought, Carlos' best dance by a long shot.

Alexa and Derek - First off, I hate that skirt they had her in.  Boy was that ugly, and it hid her legs too much.  Aside from that, though, that was a really good dance.  That was definitely Alexa's best dance so far.  Can we get some of these switch ups to stay?  I have not lately been a fan of Derek's choreography, but I loved this.  That was great.  The bit in the middle where all 6 were together was very inventive.  I thoroughly enjoyed this one.  I'm not sure about a perfect 40, but I thought she was better than Carlos, so I guess it's okay.  But honestly, given the 39 for Carlos and a 40 for Alexa, Bindi was robbed.

Andy and Sharna - oh yeah.  He definitely improved with someone who can actually dance and teach ballroom.  For me that was his best dance and showed that he really has some potential.  Again makes me really wish some of these switch-ups could become permanent.

Nick and Witney - This was a good dance, but I kind of agree with Maks that it wasn't my cup of tea.  I love the paso, but this seemed too fast.  Not Witney's fault - that wasn't good music for a paso, imho.  Overall I thought he did a good job with it, though.

I thought Maks did a good job as a judge, but I would have liked him to have given more specific and constructive tips to the celebs.  I do like him, though, and he was looking quite handsome.  Didn't like that suit, though.

And my condolences to Tom Bergeron.  What a trooper to be able to do the show when his father had just passed away. 

They said something about next week being iconic dance week or something??  Are they doing another show where they recreate dances from previous seasons?  I didn't hear the explanation, if one was given, for what exactly they're doing next week.

• Love 3

I just rewatched all the dances (thanks for the recap). I enjoyed both Tamar and Alek better on second viewing. Tamar did have some issues with the samba rolls in the beginning--what was going on with her other arm?--and was off balance a couple times, but the rest of the technique was stronger than I had first perceived it. Definitely underscored. 

I also found Alek's rumba to be hotter on second viewing. Rumba isn't usually my thing, but I liked it.

Still don't like the lighting in Andy's and Nick's dances. The flashing, waving backlight beams made it harder to see and were distracting. 

Thought it was interesting that Witney was all, I've got a Backstreet Boy WOO in Carlos's package but was like, whateves, my mom era not mine in Nick's.

I'm not sure I can convey this thought properly. There is a Paso Doble strut that oozes manliness, and there's a hip hop-y strut that oozes, I don't know, arrogance? Doucheyness? Nick's strut was way too hip hop.

• Love 3

Apologies!

The obit I saw for Ray Bergeron in Texas is apparently not Tom's Dad. Tom's tweet about "final hours" and the Texas man's age seemed right. While I knew Tom was from Haverhill, MA  (I didn't know, as someone said, that he grew up in CT), many Northerners move south in their older years, so Texas didn't make me think it wasn't Tom's dad. Anyway, sorry for the misinformation.

While I'm not making excuses for her, I agree with the poster that said that Witney is fairly snarky.  So I think some of the stuff last night with Carlos and then with Nick was just her snarkiness coming out.  I don't know if people just don't expect it from her because she looks so cute and innocent, so they take a lot of what she says at face value?

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

Tamar is the BEST dancer out there.  The rest of them are no where near her standard. It pisses me off they are going first, it's just another way to get rid of her, aside from the edits.

MMV. I don't find her to be the best one.  Her aloof attitude, contained movements and expressionless face take her down a notch for me.  She barely hugs her partner when the dance is over, as most do.  

I loved the facial expressions on both Val and Louis directed toward her being a handful.  Cute! 

The best part was having Maks as a judge.  Love the guy.   Bruno could not take his hands off him and that became tiring though I cannot blame him.  What a gorgeous man!

Paula has to be the one to go.  Has to be; she is no where near passable.  Her personality grates.  Obnoxious is the best word to describe her.  Ugh.  

I want to like Bindi more than I do.  She is skilled but a tad perky for me.  Adorable young woman though.  She said she is taking us on her journey.  No you are not.  We are watching you on yours.  

• Love 3

MMV. I don't find her to be the best one.  Her aloof attitude, contained movements and expressionless face take her down a notch for me.  She barely hugs her partner when the dance is over, as most do.  

I loved the facial expressions on both Val and Louis directed toward her being a handful.  Cute! 

The best part was having Maks as a judge.  Love the guy.   Bruno could not take his hands off him and that became tiring though I cannot blame him.  What a gorgeous man!

Paula has to be the one to go.  Has to be; she is no where near passable.  Her personality grates.  Obnoxious is the best word to describe her.  Ugh.  

I want to like Bindi more than I do.  She is skilled but a tad perky for me.  Adorable young woman though.  She said she is taking us on her journey.  No you are not.  We are watching you on yours.  

I dont think Tamar is the worst dancer but she is not best dancer either in my opinion, I have enjoyed watching Bindi, Carlos, Nick, Alexa and Alek dance much more than Tamar, I found her to be too stiff in a few of her dances  and her attitude doesnt help either, she seems to have trouble taking direction at times like she just has to be in control.  

• Love 3

They said something about next week being iconic dance week or something??  Are they doing another show where they recreate dances from previous seasons?  I didn't hear the explanation, if one was given, for what exactly they're doing next week.

Next week's theme is dance/music from movies, Broadway, or music videos.

• Love 1

Bindi and Val - You know, I almost wish these two had been paired from the start.  This was a fantastic dance - I think she really inspired Val; the choreography was great.

I agree. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen Val look like he was having so much fun. He's very good with the dramatic dances and intensity, but he usually seems more serious and focused. He's not usually bouncy. But with Bindi he just looked like he was having such a good time. Perhaps her hyper-positivity gave him a boost. I like that.

• Love 13
Alexa and Derek - First off, I hate that skirt they had her in.  Boy was that ugly, and it hid her legs too much.

Agreed, and in fact I thought one of the judges would complain about it. It was hard to see her footwork, and also at one point (when the 6 were in line together), it looked like it was hindering her ability to do the kicks as high as everyone else. 

I finally watched Tamar's samba, and I thought it was decent and fun to watch, but not deserving of more than 8s. The dance was too fast for her, which resulted in sloppy moves because she was having trouble keeping up. The problem is that despite being a fun-looking dance, Tamar didn't look like she was having fun. It's resting bitch face to the extreme, basically. She's getting edited as if she doesn't want to be there, and even though I think she is a good dancer (although ballroom might not be her strength), I'd rather see her go instead of Paula. At least Paula is having fun with it. Tamar seems like she might be doing it for the paycheck/publicity rather than a genuine interest in the show. 

• Love 4

I agree. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen Val look like he was having so much fun. He's very good with the dramatic dances and intensity, but he usually seems more serious and focused. He's not usually bouncy. But with Bindi he just looked like he was having such a good time. Perhaps her hyper-positivity gave him a boost. I like that.

Val pretty much admitted that - that Bindi is such a delightfully upbeat, positive person that he couldn't help but feel great around her.  

Val can be super intense at times (there were times when he was paired with Rumer that I thought he was sucking all the fun out of the experience for her) - I like when he can relax a bit and show his fun, lighter side.

I enjoyed Bindi's partnership with Val and I enjoy her work with Derek; I really think she helps both of them to ease up on the intensity and it makes for a delightful partnership (and some darn good choreography).

I finally watched Tamar's samba, and I thought it was decent and fun to watch, but not deserving of more than 8s. The dance was too fast for her, which resulted in sloppy moves because she was having trouble keeping up. The problem is that despite being a fun-looking dance, Tamar didn't look like she was having fun. It's resting bitch face to the extreme, basically. She's getting edited as if she doesn't want to be there, and even though I think she is a good dancer (although ballroom might not be her strength), I'd rather see her go instead of Paula. At least Paula is having fun with it. Tamar seems like she might be doing it for the paycheck/publicity rather than a genuine interest in the show. 

See, that's the issue I have with the edits; when you see other behinds the scenes footage, you see that she IS having fun and enjoying her time on the show (as opposed to just punching a clock) ..... why can't we see some of that?

Sadly though, I don't think anything is going to help her 'deer in the headlights' look when she performs ..... I don't get it; why doesn't she sing the words (I know some celebrities do that to relax) it might help her from over thinking everything.

• Love 3
Except Val's, I noticed. He had nothing but positive things to say about Val and Bindi, whereas I thought Bindi had just a little less energy than usual.

Honestly, I really didn't think Maks was mean at all and this is coming from someone who has found Maks plenty annoying back when he was still on the show. He was critical yes but not hurtful or mean-spirited in my opinion. Yes he said Hayes' VW wasn't a VW and I know some Alison fans are very touchy about her but Maks is a trained ballroom dancer who has taught for years. I think he would know if a dance was a VW or not.

And then he told Paula she actually has great, strong legs, which she does actually, and that she can do more but she's trying to rely on cute. And I agreed with him and in my opinion, the cute ain't working because she's less cute and more obnoxious and embarrassing. And he simply told Nick that the Paso just wasn't his cup of tea.

Honestly if there was anything slightly mean Maks said, it was when he started off his comment to Bindi, suggesting that some might think she's fake. I know where he eventually was going with the comment but it just was a bit awkward and unnecessary in my opinion. But other than that I thought he did fine and goodness knows I can take or leave Maks any day. 

I wish the pros would understand that most people at home would rather see cleanly danced routines than the hardest routines in the world that look like a sloppy mess.  Especially since most people at home can't really properly gauge the difficulty levels.

This. If the celebrity can handle it, great, have at it. But if not, better to just go with something simple, strong and clean. Because you're right, most of the average viewers and voters are not going to think, "oh that choreography was very hard and stellar so let me vote for them because of that." No, they'll just think the celebrity looked awkward or weird or whatever and vote for something else.

This is why Anna T. mentioned on Afterbuzz once that it is sometimes unfair when the judges say a dance was too simple because you can't always know what happened in rehearsal that week and sometimes where the dance started at the beginning of the week is vastly different than what is seen on Monday night. Because the celebrity's ability can change things - sometimes there is something they just really cannot get and is it better to leave it anyway or just adjust and make things simpler. 

I thought Alek did a great job and was very smooth.  It was a pretty dance that I thoroughly enjoyed.  Really good job.  I wish he could stay with Emma.  Not that Witney isn't good because she is, but he seems to be more at ease when dancing with Emma.

Alek is with Lindsay who I think is doing a stellar job teaching him the technique, for someone who literally is doing this from scratch. Alek's issue right now is trying to find the performer inside him and he didn't seem any less stone faced last night than he has with Lindsay, imo.

I just rewatched all the dances (thanks for the recap). I enjoyed both Tamar and Alek better on second viewing. Tamar did have some issues with the samba rolls in the beginning--what was going on with her other arm?--and was off balance a couple times, but the rest of the technique was stronger than I had first perceived it. Definitely underscored.

She was definitely underscored and should have gotten at least all 8's. There was no way Hayes' dance was better, Paula Deen should not have gotten the same 7's she did and even Andy was not that much better than her in my opinion.Tamar was hurt by going first I think. There were issues with the dance - e.g. she did seem slightly off balance at times and those Samba rolls were not doing it for me but still, those 7's were too low. 

Val pretty much admitted that - that Bindi is such a delightfully upbeat, positive person that he couldn't help but feel great around her.

This is why I said I feel like Bindi would have had the same experience with anyone. She's probably the celebrity the switch-up affected the least because she's just so damn happy and positive all the time that whoever she was paired up with, it would have worked out just fine. I can't even imagine how awesome she and Mark would have been together. And this is not to take anything from Val because I loved their dance and thought the choreography was great but I just didn't really feel like Bindi should have been with him as in he brought out this new and amazing thing in her. She seemed pretty much the same to me. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Tom is a professional.  He was just as witty as usual and I couldn't tell that his dad passed away until the end of the show.

Tamar and Louis - She was underscored which does happen when you're first.  Julianne and CAI are crazy for giving both Paula and Tamar the same score.  I agree with Bruno and Maks' scores for both.  I actually agreed with Maks a lot through the whole show and thought he was a good judge.  Louis' choreography was too ambitious for Tamar.  She's technically good but not a ringer.  There were a lot of steps that were done well but she did look off balance with other steps.  Above all, you're supposed to look like you're having fun when you do a samba.  She looked uncomfortable and so I couldn't enjoy her dancing.

Hayes and Allison - It's cute that he was losing his voice.  Unfortunately, this dance looked frenetic like Allison's other dances.  I'm glad Maks said something and I didn't think he was being too harsh either. 

Paula and Mark - Mark cracked me up at the beginning when he was walking up to the houses.  This jive was slow and I didn't see any kicks and flicks.  Mark choreographed a fun routine but I really do hope that Paula is eliminated next week.   

Alek and Emma - Alek is improving each week.  He is doing well for somebody that never previously danced or performed.  However, he really needs to up his performance.  I don't want him to get too cheesy and overboard.  But he doesn't need to look too stoic either.  I want him to succeed because he is such a nice polite guy.  I like his partnership with Lindsay.  I also think Emma and Alek are a cute couple if that happens.

Bindi and Val - I think Bindi is great with both Derek and Val.  However, she has such a bubbly personality that I can see her paired with almost anybody.  I admit that in the first show, she was too perky for me.  But I've grown to really like her.  This was a great dance for her.

Carlos and Lindsay - Carlos' best dance so far and his frame was so much better.  Lindsay is proving that she's a great pro.  However, I always knew that she had it in her and that Victor was too hyper and lost interest. 

Alexa and Derek - These two were good enough that they didn't need the troupe.  At first, I thought it was going to be a typical Derek production that hid his partner's flaws.  But it didn't since there was enough technique in there.  I didn't think it deserved a perfect score but I guess it time for her redemption story.

Andy and Sharna - Andy's best dance by far.  He can finally breathe in this dance because it wasn't so fast.  He also improved a lot.  I always thought that he had potential and I thought the same for Jonathan.  Even though, Riker looked good with Allison, I think he could have improved more with another pro too.  Riker's frame was never fixed and he danced pigeon toed which was also not fixed.

Nick and Witney - It was o.k. but not great.  My favorite dance of his is still the Downton Abbey one.  Their package was strange.

• Love 5

This is when I start getting really frustrated with the wonky scoring because clearly something is up with Carlos and Alexa. People probably aren't voting for them because nobody's ever heard of them before, and Carlos' hair is stupid. Yet for some reason this show is invested in them - maybe just because their first "married couple" is a gimmick they don't want to give up on, but it's also possible there's a deeper reason. Like maybe ABC or an affiliate network has some sort of contract with them for another show and really needs to sell them. In any event, I have never seen a contestant jump from middling 7s and 8s to get the first perfect score of the season. I'd have expected that privilege to go to Bindi, Tamar or Nick.

I think Tamar's problem is that she think she's making a "fierce" face and doesn't realize how odd it looks. She probably just thinks it looks "fierce." Someone needs to pull her aside, show her the tape of this dance, and say "See that face? Stop making that face."

I actually enjoyed the lie detector gimmick and I usually hate the stunts.

• Love 4

Honestly, I really didn't think Maks was mean at all and this is coming from someone who has found Maks plenty annoying back when he was still on the show. He was critical yes but not hurtful or mean-spirited in my opinion. Yes he said Hayes' VW wasn't a VW and I know some Alison fans are very touchy about her but Maks is a trained ballroom dancer who has taught for years. I think he would know if a dance was a VW or not.

One comment I liked was when Maks referenced how he'd never understood when Len had said "it's not enough of [this kind of dance]" but now, sitting there as a judge, he gets it. He finally sees what Len meant. I thought that was not only a great compliment to Len but also shows that Maks is not immovable; he's willing to see things he may not have been able to see in the past when he was too close to the subject and simply wanted to win. And if he's willing to offer up those kinds of critiques, I think that's helpful. 

• Love 17

People probably aren't voting for them because nobody's ever heard of them before, and Carlos' hair is stupid.

BAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!! This made me laugh hard! I am quite confounded as to why the PenaVegas were basically shoved down our throats yesterday as well. They were both great, but overscored. They've obviously not been getting many votes. I don't expect either of them will win, so why does it matter if one (or both) of them leave soon? The married couple shtick/competition isn't even that great, PTB. Not at all...

• Love 6

I'm not a fan of Carlos or Alexa, but I had heard of them both pre-DWTS, and IMO they are no more or less famous than the majority of celebs that come through the show.  Big Time Rush was a popular show/faux group for a certain generation.  The Spy Kids movies were extremely popular and Alexa has been in a bunch of other things.  On a show that casts Bristol Palin and others, are we really calling into question Carlos and Alexa's claim to fame?

Also as soon as DWTS ends Carlos will be playing Kenickie in the live version of Grease that airs in January.  The very same live version of Grease in which one Ms. Julianne Hough will be starring.

Also I'm not really sure the show cares about the Penavegas making it to the end.  I do think they care enough to not want them eliminated next week.  Not when Paula and Andy are still around.  Not that I dislike Andy, but he has no storyline going either.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

I'm not a fan of Carlos or Alexa, but I had heard of them both pre-DWTS, and IMO they are no more or less famous than the majority of celebs that come through the show.  Big Time Rush was a popular show/faux group for a certain generation.  The Spy Kids movies were extremely popular and Alexa has been in a bunch of other things.  On a show that casts Bristol Palin and others, are we really calling into question Carlos and Alexa's claim to fame?

Also as soon as DWTS ends Carlos will be playing Kenickie in the live version of Grease that airs in January.  The very same live version of Grease in which one Ms. Julianne Hough will be starring.

Also I'm not really sure the show cares about the Penavegas making it to the end.  I do think they care enough to not want them eliminated next week.  Not when Paula and Andy are still around.  Not that I dislike Andy, but he has no storyline going either.

Oh I'm certainly not calling to attention their claim to fame! That wasn't my intention. I'd personally never heard of Carlos before this show. But there's no questioning his celebrity and talent. (Like Witney for BSB, I'm just not part of the Big Time Rush Era.) I had heard of Alexa, and actually really enjoyed her when she had a recurring role on "Nashville". I came into this season thinking she'd be one of the people I'd be rooting for the most, and she has been one of my favorites. I'm just wondering why the show is pushing this "married couple" thing so strongly. It's annoying. And doesn't seem to be helping either of them.

• Love 1

Ummmm ew really? I mean... I don't mean to be a b%^(& but he seems a bit short for that role. Trovolta is 6'2 and Conaway was 6'1 so the girls in this movie are going to have to be super short. Don't mean to play into gender roles but I'm just saying... Plus I just don't see him playing that kind of role. 

I'm not sure I can convey this thought properly. There is a Paso Doble strut that oozes manliness, and there's a hip hop-y strut that oozes, I don't know, arrogance? Doucheyness? Nick's strut was way too hip hop.

This makes perfect sense to me and I understood exactly what you conveyed. I agree with Maks.

• Love 3

Hmmm. That wouldn't be airing on ABC per chance, now would it?

One comment I liked was when Maks referenced how he'd never understood when Len had said "it's not enough of [this kind of dance]" but now, sitting there as a judge, he gets it. He finally sees what Len meant. I thought that was not only a great compliment to Len but also shows that Maks is not immovable; he's willing to see things he may not have been able to see in the past when he was too close to the subject and simply wanted to win. And if he's willing to offer up those kinds of critiques, I think that's helpful. 

I agree.  Maks did a stellar job judging last night, I am disappointed that he is too busy to be there more.  

I agreed with all he said, especially the VW.  That was a flailing waltz.  I love Hayes and his attitude; he is doing very well for a 15 year old boy.  Alison just did not instruct him to control his movements.   He cannot win but he is having fun and getting exposure he never dreamed of having.  

I understand, Majormama.

Tom is 60 so his dad was very old.  I think he might have known the end was near for awhile and went home to say good bye on his death bed.  I doubt there was any thought of recovery.  So glad he is back.  He cannot leave this show, ever.  It would fail to attract the audience it does.  He is the glue.  A show with no glue falls apart.  

• Love 5

The highlights of the night for me were Alek and Carlos, with honorable mention to the adorable Mark Ballas and Miss Paula.  I would have counted Alexa in there if she had been with someone other than Golden Boy.

Hayes, Andy and Nick were okay and the low spots were Bindi and Tamar.  

In an ideal world, Bindi would be a shocking elimination on Monday, but I know that won't happen since she will be back with Golden Boy.  So can I hope that bad attitude Tamar goes instead?

I would have loved the Mark's milkman dance if he'd been doing it with anyone but Paula. When she was lifting her dress, I was thinking that this is twice now that the she has directed us to pay attention to her underpants, and yet still no viewer discretion warning. Equally gross was Erin gushing over Alek and Emma and coming pretty damn close to asking Alek if he had a boner. Make Erin go away now, please.

I really liked both Carlos's and Alexa's dances; they were a little overscored, but still the best of the night.  I didn't love Bindi's dance, but her roll-in package (if I ignore the snake) was super cute, especially when Val compared her to a baby eagle, said it was his first animal metaphor, and she grabbed him and said, "and I was here for it!" Usually I find that kind of relentless cheeriness tiresome, but hers is so genuine, I can't help but like her.

My heart went out to Tom at the end, especially when they ran the dates of his dad's life. He just came out there and did his job and gave no hint that he was grieving until the final minute. There's a lot to admire in that.

• Love 4

Lord, tell me they are having her be Sandy??  She passed sweet and innocent a long, long time ago.  

On the other hand, good for Carlos!  He sure is a cutie.

I would have loved the Mark's milkman dance if he'd been doing it with anyone but Paula. When she was lifting her dress, I was thinking that this is twice now that the she has directed us to pay attention to her underpants, and yet still no viewer discretion warning. Equally gross was Erin gushing over Alek and Emma and coming pretty damn close to asking Alek if he had a boner. Make Erin go away now, please.

I really liked both Carlos's and Alexa's dances; they were a little overscored, but still the best of the night.  I didn't love Bindi's dance, but her roll-in package (if I ignore the snake) was super cute, especially when Val compared her to a baby eagle, said it was his first animal metaphor, and she grabbed him and said, "and I was here for it!" Usually I find that kind of relentless cheeriness tiresome, but hers is so genuine, I can't help but like her.

My heart went out to Tom at the end, especially when they ran the dates of his dad's life. He just came out there and did his job and gave no hint that he was grieving until the final minute. There's a lot to admire in that.

I agree especially the bold.  Erin started out so strong and what happened?  

I like Derrick.  He is talented and handsome.  He is one of my favorites.  

I will show myself out..............

I'll do you one better - I think he is very talented, a very good Pro and teacher and has deserved every one of his mirrorball wins. 

• Love 11

It was an interesting switch up week and thought the celebs did a nice job adjusting to the change.  Great to see Tom back as well.

3.  Nick & Sharna

I thought there was an improvement with his movement, as he was carrying out the dance moves with a measure of confidence relative to the early weeks.  I liked the attack and aggression of his demeanor, as it was visible in his face and body posturing throughout the routine (something Alek needed in his Paso).  Glad the pair was in hold together as this really enhanced and amplified the aggressive nature of the dance even more.  While the Paso is a man's dance and Nick did attack the routine, I thought there were slight moments when the facial/body expressions started to become a bit of a parody and a slight exaggeration.  Character shades of the slow, pacing, simmering side of the arrogant matador would've been nice to see.  Noticeable were the poor shaping as well, as it didn't look like the traditional shaping normally associated with the dance (but more of a fusion with another foreign style).  He should relax, and let the lines flow freer in his upper chest and body to produce that bending, arc shape that will emulate Witney's. The shoulders unfortunately showed the effort from start to finish, as he should lower and calm them the next time around while keeping the character intact.  His appel Paso actions should remain with his leg/feet with the downwards driving action involving only his lower half of the body.  Despite the hiccups, it's nice watching Nick grow and progress through the competition, as the experience in the switch up week seemed to have kept him at a nice, consistent level.

2.   Hayes & Emma

The gentleman character that Hayes assumed was indeed a new role for Hayes to play, and given his age, I thought he carried it out to the best of his abilities.  I liked how he carried himself on stage, came down the stairwell and how he maintained a sophisticated look all the way to the end.  He really didn't have any prior dances from which he can base the genteel feel off of (aside from his Foxtrot, which had a different tone/setting), so perhaps this fairy tale, man woman role/dance scenario was bound to happen.  I thought this characterization of Hayes was a bit risky though, as I would of liked a bit more of a light-hearted, age appropriate romantic feel to it (i.e. teenagers meet nearby countryside lake and they decide to explore the ravine together).  Thought the speed of the music fit the fast ballroom tempo of the Viennese Waltz, but the complicated nature of the choreographed steps and moves only served to expose Hayes lack of finesse and technique.  There were unfortunate moments when he was caught flat-footed in the routine, along with raised shoulders that showed visible signs of tension (including an opening fold of his top suit).  The gaping between the two was unfortunate, as Hayes looked uncomfortable holding Allison (though he made sure to handle her with care).  I wish Allison could've kept Hayes in hold for the majority of the routine (just like she did when they neared the judges' table, but failed to produce that driving heel lead action across the floor), so that his balance and proper footwork wouldn't be compromised.  At times, I felt Hayes was out in the open and left vulnerable to the judges eyes.  While this may be a step back for Hayes (technique-wise), the original pairing with Emma should help to get him back to his former self.  He should also be able to build upon this experience and move forward with the rest of his ballroom dances.

1b.   Alexa & Mark

It was hard to recognize who the dancer was out on the floor, as Alexa was a completely different person.  Thought she was the most improved dancer for week 5, as she had the best ballroom frame, creating that signature 'V' Tango shape while in hold.  There was a tiny moment when her frame wobbled and gave way, but for the most part, during the inner transitions when Derek abruptly changed their frames at constant sharp angles, I thought Alexa did a great job of holding onto her core.  She was the most grounded in all her performances thus far, enabling her to create that stop and go feel, the cat-like stacatto stalking action that made her lunge forward – stop - change direction, and then drive again.  She never eased off the pedal but continued on with the aggressive steps.  Thought she also held her own with Derek at the very last section, where the troupe members were dancing side-to-side with her.  If she can remember to stay in character throughout her future routines (i.e. no smiling) that would be a bonus.  Mark is a proven winner and Alexa has the raw abilities, so while a perfect 40 is nice, there's still many more dances left.   Mark should be given credit for building a foundation from which Derek could build off of, but after their Tango routine, it seemed apparent that something was working for Alexa during her week 5 training/rehearsal.  Being the professional that Mark is, I'm hoping he can unravel and figure out what needs to be worked out (or changed) to continue on with Alexa's development.  Will be interesting to see how this couple progresses from this point.

1a.   Bindi & Derek

I really thought the music suited the dance and Bindi, and that Val read and interpreted it well such that he was able to successfully showcase the light, breezy, fun-filled side of the Cha Cha (as opposed to the flirty, sexy, teasing continuum).  Not only was it age appropriate, but I also thought there was a pocket in the music where Val could have pushed the choreography, but chose wisely to restrain it and to keep a consistent feel to the routine instead.  Really enjoyed the opening section out on stage (and the playful nose touch), as I thought this stylish number captured the cheerful disposition of Bindi right to the last bar.  Watching this routine, I also felt a newfound freedom to the moves and choreography that I haven't seen and felt since Val's week 1 Quickstep.  At the moment, Bindi probably won't get the high marks yet, as she still needs to refine her lines and movement.  She has the tendency to not finish her free arm gracefully, deciding to throw them away at the very last moment in order to concentrate on the next step instead.  She still needs to settle into the ground on her standing leg, and use the floor to push up her towards her body to create that signature hip action.  She can't rely on her legs to create the twisting hip actions (for the Cha Cha and future latin dances), as true power will only develop from the ground up.  Think it was nice of Val to keep Bindi in hold, as she seems to struggle with her balance at the moment amongst the turns and spins.  Its true, while Bindi didn't get the first perfect score, there will be plenty of 10's to go across everyone later on.  Think Derek has a huge responsibility to look after Bindi as the weeks progress through the competition.

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 2

This episode made me feel ever worse for Andy that he has to go back to Alison. He was so,much better this week. I hope he outlasts at least Paula. Think he just seems so funny and charming.

Nick and Whitney didn't work for me. I kept saying stand up man. Too hunchy.

I thought Carlos did great but there is still something off putting about him that I cannot out my finger on.

Maks...sigh.....

• Love 1

Apologies!

The obit I saw for Ray Bergeron in Texas is apparently not Tom's Dad. Tom's tweet about "final hours" and the Texas man's age seemed right. While I knew Tom was from Haverhill, MA  (I didn't know, as someone said, that he grew up in CT), many Northerners move south in their older years, so Texas didn't make me think it wasn't Tom's dad. Anyway, sorry for the misinformation.

Actually, Tom is from and grew up in Haverhill, Massachusetts, not Connecticut.  I think he has a residence in Greenwich, CT today, not far from NYC.  I just watched an episode with him on TLC's "Who do You think You Are?" about a month or so ago in which he explored his French Canadian side's genealogy.

Tom is 60 so his dad was very old.  I think he might have known the end was near for awhile and went home to say good bye on his death bed.  I doubt there was any thought of recovery.  So glad he is back.  He cannot leave this show, ever.  It would fail to attract the audience it does.  He is the glue.  A show with no glue falls apart.  

Tom's Dad was 81, which I guess is "very old" but I'm 57 and my Dad is still alive at 88 so I suppose it's all in how you look at it.  I agree with you that this show would fall apart without him.  I am still not loving Len being gone and to have Tom gone too would be just too much to handle.

• Love 6

In response to a writer who tweeted that Tamar's scores were uncalled for and she deserved much higher, I wrote "She always does! They're rewarding marketability over merit, so Bindi/Nick/Alek must win for the show's agenda." A second later it got "Favorited" which is a tacit endorsement, from Neil Jones. His description reads: World, European, British Latin Dancesport Champion. Dancer, Producer, Choreographer for BBC Strictly Come Dancing. 

That's as much as someone can speak out without endangering their paycheque, so kudos to him for that.

I didn't like that they intro'd her dance by having Val reinforce the "angry/bossy black woman" stereotype with his joke about it. First he said she was a kind, loving woman and then they questioned him further and he jokingly gave them want they wanted to hear.

They gave Tamar the miss it/forget about it spot, a most unpopular dancer, and scam scores. It's nauseating how blatantly they are discriminating against her (and Louis) for not representing their desired demographics. She can be the best dancer (and arguably clearly is, in spite of "facework" and "barely hugging" her partner after the...you know, dance) but they are doing everything they can to hose her to clear the way for Backstreet Boy/American Hero/Bubbly and Beige Sob Story Famous Daughter.

It's always been a popularity contest, not a dance contest. It's just sad and insulting to see the judges/producers so blatantly discriminating/manipulating since Tamar has a much stronger fan following than they anticipated. It'd be a disaster if she won over those with much higher Q scores across the show's desired demos.

It left a rancid taste in my mouth that I still haven't shaken so the rest of the show was a boring blur. I did LOL at the Lie Detector bit. They need to bring that back regularly. I believed every exposed "lie!"

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2

Tamar/Louis (Samba) – Love the song and am surprised it took this long for it to be used on the show (or maybe I just missed it) but I have to say I didn’t love this. 

Oh, it's been used before:

One of my favourite pro dances :) 

• Love 4
If the celebrity can handle it, great, have at it. But if not, better to just go with something simple, strong and clean.

As soon as Louis told Tamar that the moves would be tough/a challenge even for Karina, I questioned his choice to put in so much hard content. As good as Tamar is, I think it's unfair to do a dance in the middle of the season that would be high level for a pro dancer. Up the stakes for the final dances, sure, but not at this point in the competition.

Also, I am finding myself disliking the use of the troupe more and more as time goes on. Derek and Alexa's dance would have been more powerful (IMO, of course) if we'd been fully focused on Alexa's dancing without any distraction from the troupe. I preferred when the troupe did demos, commercial bumpers, and could be used in the finals.

Edited by St. Claire
  • Love 4

As soon as Louis told Tamar that the moves would be tough/a challenge even for Karina, I questioned his choice to put in so much hard content. As good as Tamar is, I think it's unfair to do a dance in the middle of the season that would be high level for a pro dancer. Up the stakes for the final dances, sure, but not at this point in the competition.

And this is why Tamar is being pushed out, and everyone is in on the scripted bullshit, Val, Louis, all of them have done their part  Val:" Louis is going to have a handful " Louis- gives her pro level Samba.  When Maks said this show is Val's problem, it is.  He's drinking the koolaid and getting paid.  Whatever it's just a dumb show, but I feel for someone who is genuinely trying to learn. 

Even in the later weeks  of hotly contested shows with good dancers Sambas were never this much content, unless the pros were dancing with bona fide dancers like Mya or Stacey Keibler.  

Look back at week 7- Nicole Scherzinger season 10 arguably the "ringerist ringer"  Derek gave her a nothing Samba.  Even in an interview Nicole wanted to learn to do bachacatas  and Derek told her no it's too advanced for her. Week 7. ---- and yet here week 5 Tamar is expected to look as good as the troupe doing that dance move, (out of hold she didn't look out of place) but cruzado walks?  I mean come on there's a limit to what a non-dancer is expected to do.    

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

They gave Tamar the miss it/forget about it spot, a most unpopular dancer, and scam scores. It's nauseating how blatantly they are discriminating against her (and Louis) for not representing their desired demographics. She can be the best dancer (and arguably clearly is, in spite of "facework" and "barely hugging" her partner after the...you know, dance) but they are doing everything they can to hose her to clear the way for Backstreet Boy/American Hero/Bubbly and Beige Sob Story Famous Daughter.

Bingo. They already know who they want in the finals, and Tamar isn't it. They need to make her an "angry black woman" for now to pump up their drama, while giving the trophy to their usual "feel-good" story. So what if she doesn't hug Val? He's a good dancer, but he's kinda gross and I wouldn't want to be all over him either. LOL. By the way, no way am I saying everyone needs to like her, but come on, the woman deserves better than 7s in week 5!

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 2

I thought Tamar looked rather awkward doing that dance, so despite the difficulty, the score didn't seem that off.  That and her face ruined any enjoyment I might have had.  I agree that the whole thing was scripted (probably right down to Louis getting her).

When did Sasha and Emma break up - doesn't anyone know? ETA: nevermind, I googled it.

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 1

I don't think she needs to hug Val if she doesn't want to, but I do think she needs to do something about that "frozen doll" facial expression. To me, that does greatly impact the presentation of her dancing. That blank look on her face makes it seem like she's either concentrating too hard, doesn't want to be there, doesn't care... so many things are presented by that facial expression and it ruins the dance. It makes me feel like there's no joy in there, and if that's the case, I can't enjoy watching her. 

If she can't sort that out, I don't think she should win. It won't matter to me how well she can handle the technical moves. Performance is part of the package, and she's not doing it.

• Love 9

I liked Nick and Witney's dance better on second viewing. I wish they wouldn't put Nick in short jackets - it's not his best look.

I usually hate when they add extra people to the dances, but I actually liked the troupe members in Derek and Alexa's dance. I saw it as Derek and Alexa breaking away from the pack together - not sure if that was the intention.

• Love 2

but I do think she needs to do something about that "frozen doll" facial expression. To me, that does greatly impact the presentation of her dancing. That blank look on her face makes it seem like she's either concentrating too hard,

Funny how the concentration face wasn't there when she did the Charleston or the Quickstep.  It seems to me she's exceeding the competition in terms of dance ability, so the show decided to ramp up the difficulty, and then the obvious signs of strain in trying to do something so difficult naturally revealed  itself. Hell the Rumba was done in two days.  Who does that to that level of mastery on this show with no dance training?   Oh the "angry" black girl. ((insert eyeroll)))

• Love 3