Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: The Holy Trinity and Beyond

At first it was kind of funny, bc you could sense how proud she was to be doing a grownup thing and buying a house, but grew very tiresome as she started bitching and complaining about the lack of amenities here and there

My biggest peeve with this show, and the reason I'm rapidly losing interest in it, is that so many episodes feature these dimwits who don't seem to know much about buying a house but have these absurdly unrealistic expectations nevertheless.  It's like watching a show about people who don't appreciate fine food but are eating in fancy restaurants.  At first it would be interesting, then amusing, then you might hate watch, but eventually it'll become more and more ridiculous and you'll drift away. 

• Love 2

Oh god, I thought of another one that drives me nuts--the people who whine about needing to have a 'wow factor' when people walk into the house. Like, I wonder if they expect people to walk in and literally say 'wow' every time they walk into the house and see their 2-storey foyer or whatever in the f__ it is that they think is impressive. I mean, it's a freaking house, people. Plus, why do they think they're going to get a jaw-dropping entryway in their $175K house.

In truth I do not walk HH nearly as much as I used to bc it does stop being funny and hate-watching seems like a waste of energy.

My biggest peeve with this show, and the reason I'm rapidly losing interest in it, is that so many episodes feature these dimwits who don't seem to know much about buying a house but have these absurdly unrealistic expectations nevertheless.  It's like watching a show about people who don't appreciate fine food but are eating in fancy restaurants.  At first it would be interesting, then amusing, then you might hate watch, but eventually it'll become more and more ridiculous and you'll drift away. 

ITA.  Even with the show being staged, seeing people throw tantrums because they can't get everything they want is really old at this point.  These buyers have to be either really fame hungry or just plain stupid because they know the series and what the producers want to see.  Whether the budget doesn't allow it, or they're in a different country and just realizing that *gasp* they don't have the same square footage, so they'll have to downsize!  The horror!

I just saw a new episode with a couple in San Diego and the wife was an utter pill: very "I want what I want and I want it now" and I just felt bad for the husband and the realtor.  Despite the budget constraints, she was a PITA to the very end.  I'm not even hate watching this show anymore, just not watching at all.

• Love 1

One of my biggest pet peeves is when a couple sees a spacious walk-in closet and the wife says a variation of "perfect size for me, now where's your stuff gonna go?"

I swear this diatribe is said every. single. time.

• Love 10

My biggest peeve is the people who bitch about not having enough space to entertain. Are there that many people out there hosting Met-style galas that a 5,000 sq. ft. living room is an absolute necessity?

I agree the show is no longer enjoyable to watch. I'm tired of seeing whiny, self-absorbed people complaining about light fixtures and *gasp!* no granite countertops when there are people out there who would be grateful just to have a roof over their head. Talk about first world problems.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when a couple sees a spacious walk-in closet and the wife says a variation of "perfect size for me, now where's your stuff gonna go?"

I swear this diatribe is said every. single. time.

Ugh, I know and it's so obnoxious.

• Love 6

Just thought of another one, and this pretty much goes for any real estate shows - house hunters who jump onto other peoples' beds to "test drive" the bedroom. They're wearing their outdoor shoes when they do it. It's just plain disrespectful to the homeowners and so juvenile. If I were an agent and my client did this, I'd give them a smack to the back of the head and tell them to GTFO. But since this is HH and it's all fakety-fake, I'm hoping it's their own beds that they're jumping in.

• Love 4
I agree the show is no longer enjoyable to watch. I'm tired of seeing whiny, self-absorbed people complaining about light fixtures and *gasp!* no granite countertops when there are people out there who would be grateful just to have a roof over their head. Talk about first world problems.

This show is the ultimate display of first world problems. My boss says she imagines that people in other countries must hate us for the way HHs act and demand so much. However, I must admit I love this show, and I would actually like a lot of things these people require in a home. *hangs head in shame*

My two biggest pet peeves that I didn't see mentioned are:

• When a HH complains about a house being too closed off or not having any or all of the holy trinity, and the realtor hand waves the complaint with a, "that's an easy fix." Excuse me, but since when is dropping thousands of dollars to install hardwood floors, knock down walls or replace countertops  "easy!" It's worse when the house is close to the top of the HHs' budget.
  • "I don't want to be forced to make a choice" as a reason for not liking a split level house. Huh? For the first eight years of my life, my grandparents lived an a split level, and I don't remember being traumatized by having to "make a choice" between going downstairs or upstairs. Plus, don't you pretty much know where you want to go when you enter a house?

One more thing that's more of an observation than a pet peeve: Why do for sale houses in the LA area look so horrible? I'm thinking of putting my 11-year-old house up for sale, and it's in pretty good condition (I live alone with no pets, and I bought the house brand new), and my realtor suggested I make about $5,000 in upgrades and changes. Yet, when I watch some of these HH episodes that are set in LA, the houses look absolutely disgusting, like a hoarder who lived there for 30 years suddenly had to make a quick getaway. I guess LA is really a sellers market.

• Love 3

LA is a complete sellers market right now. In my area (northeast of downtown LA), you'll be lucky to find a house under $500,000 that doesn't need some renovation. Recently, I've found that the homes that are completely move-in ready start in the $600,000+ range. This is for roughly 2,000 sq ft! You're really buying the property rather than the house. Plus, the school districts vary so much in quality that it is thunderdome trying to find a semi-affordable home. Many of the houses were built in the 1950s-1970s and either haven't been renovated at all or have undergone partial kitchen renovations.  It's competitive for the everyday buyer because investors want to flip homes or there are international buyers who will pay all cash. 

My pet peeve is people coming into recently renovated homes and saying they'll have to redo everything. Like replace newly done flooring or swap white granite for grey granite with sparkles. The seller might as well not invest in upgrades, though fingers-crossed the house hunter couples are not normal buyers.

Also, when people come into homes with beautiful original features and want to strip them of all character. Don't ruin it, get a new build! 

There was one episode where a mother of a toddler was upset that the master was on the bottom are two or three bedrooms were on the top floor. I don't understand why they couldn't sleep upstairs for one or two years and then move downstairs. Or baby monitors. 

• Love 3
(edited)

One more thing that's more of an observation than a pet peeve: Why do for sale houses in the LA area look so horrible? I'm thinking of putting my 11-year-old house up for sale, and it's in pretty good condition (I live alone with no pets, and I bought the house brand new), and my realtor suggested I make about $5,000 in upgrades and changes. Yet, when I watch some of these HH episodes that are set in LA, the houses look absolutely disgusting, like a hoarder who lived there for 30 years suddenly had to make a quick getaway. I guess LA is really a sellers market.

How do you know those homes were actually for sale?  HH is reality television, not reality, IMHO.  Realtors, now that they know how HH is filmed, long ago realized that they have nothing to gain by allowing their listings to be filmed.  There's usually a 6 month lag between the filming and air dates.  And, tptb don't give them any promotional airtime.  So, why bother? 

Unless the episode's realtor can provide his/her own listings as decoy homes, those homes may belong to f&f of the realtor or house hunters.  BTW, that's the reason why decoys sometimes aren't even close to their target neighborhood, IMHO.  Other times they don't reveal the true locations.  WRT the homes' disarray, how many actual sellers would allow their property to be filmed in that condition?  

Besides the timing lag, all RE is local.  Given the huge size of the LA metropolitan area, who knows if the RE market situation of a particular LA area as depicted on HH corresponds with your neighborhood's?  If you bought new 11 years ago, you're probably in a subdivision and can check out recent comps, i.e. sales closed within the last 6 months for pricing purposes.  Besides that, you can also visit open houses and tour listings in your price range to assess both the strength of your competition and possibly detect market trends.

You're welcome to PM me, if you'd like MHO on your realtor's $$$ suggestion and the best things to do before you sell.  (I'm sure you already know most of them, e.g. clean, clean and then clean again!  Eliminate 50% of your "stuff", simple curb appeal fixes, neutralizing, painting, basic repairs, staging ...)

In the meantime, I'm begging you, joylove, please, please, please don't use HH to either assess market conditions or analyze your own RE transactions!

Good luck with your sale and move!

P.S.  Sorry to respond about your personal situation but you mentioned it and it's one of my concerns about HH, in general.  All JMHO so worth about .02, maximum!  Falling off soapbox now, lol ...

In short, guess the above might be my biggest pet peeve - that tptb produce the show in such a way that viewers may believe it's more documentary than drama!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2
(edited)

I wanted to pop in to say one more thing about the housing market in the LA area. The vast majority of houses are not disgusting - they may be "well lived in" but the horrifying ones that you see on Flip or Flop and sometimes House Hunters are the extreme outliers.  There are houses sold as-is that are estate sales or are foreclosures. The economic downturn crushed the home values up until roughly this past year and sadly there were tons of foreclosures in the LA area. 

I agree with aguabella that some of the homes may be fake outs and off the market by show time.  I do know that one of the houses on HH Renovations during season 1 was on the market because it was in a family member's neighborhood. The homebuyers didn't pick the house, but it was eventually flipped and sold.  I was so sad to hear that HH is fakey, but it makes sense given production time. 

I saw the HH International episode last night where the couple moves from Chicago to San Paolo, Brazil.  They were a nice couple but kept talking about needing a space big enough for entertaining or that the kitchen wasn't good for entertaining. I don't know why you need a good entertaining kitchen. Well I do, but think that in the coming years people are going to be putting walls back up.

I also go crazy when people go on about the size of a kitchen in historic houses. There was one HHI episode in France where there was a spectacular house and a tiny hidden kitchen. I think it was circa 19th C. The woman went on about how a grand house deserved a grand kitchen. I just shook my head and wanted to shout at the tv think who was doing all of the cooking and why it would be hidden. Back staircases weren't just a fun quirk.

Edited by Lilytiger
  • Love 1
(edited)

My pet peeve has evolved to be the assumption that stainless finishes on the appliances and granite for the countertops are simply the only acceptable styles. It's become ludicrous IMO how these couples just matter-of-factly put these on their wish list, and pooh-pooh any kitchen that doesn't have them. Why? Especially the stainless thing - I just don't get it. I get why granite might be desirable, as it has practical properties that make it a good choice, but what's so all-fired wonderful about a stainless steel door on a stove or refrigerator? it's not that easy to keep up, that's for sure.

It really bugs that people on this show are just sheep, just repeating the mantra of granite/stainless. Do they actually have opinions or tastes of their own?

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 6

I'm sick this week with a cold and so I've been watching a lot of HHs. Just watched the Houston baseball scout/wife is teacher and volley ball coach episode. While they were talking about Wants she said she didn't want anything cookie cutter and then the very NEXT thing out of her mouth is her desire for a kitchen with granite and dark cabinets. Stainless was also mentioned. ARGH!!!!! Does it get any more Builder Beige Cookie Cutter than the granite/stainless/dark cabinet combo? In one house was a perfectly servicable and IMO gorgeous kitchen with cream cabinets, white appliances and admittedly ugly beige laminate counters that had to be "gutted" immediately. Yeesh.

I just bought a house and thankfully the previous owners put in faux granite laminate. It'll soon be replaced with tile. Yes, tile. With very narrow grout lines. I'm so outdated.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 2

I am on the California Closet mailing list.  Yes, I have a fancy closet.  Interesting that they are very excited about the new colors and finishes.  It is the bright euro look.  So if you want a bright red closet you can get it at CC.

Just thought of another one, and this pretty much goes for any real estate shows - house hunters who jump onto other peoples' beds to "test drive" the bedroom. They're wearing their outdoor shoes when they do it. It's just plain disrespectful to the homeowners and so juvenile. If I were an agent and my client did this, I'd give them a smack to the back of the head and tell them to GTFO. But since this is HH and it's all fakety-fake, I'm hoping it's their own beds that they're jumping in.

Yeah, I'd go IN on someone who jumped on someone's bed or started fucking with people's stuff if I was showing a house. I'd turn into Big Mama: [claps twice] "get your goddamn ass off that bed! The fuck is wrong with you?!" And the cousin of that is when people step into people's showers and sit down in their tubs. The hell?!

• Love 2

Yeah, I'd go IN on someone who jumped on someone's bed or started fucking with people's stuff if I was showing a house. I'd turn into Big Mama: [claps twice] "get your goddamn ass off that bed! The fuck is wrong with you?!" And the cousin of that is when people step into people's showers and sit down in their tubs. The hell?!

I agree with you about the house hunters' stupidity but most realtors, in my experience, understand that they're in sales.  If they told off every hunter who said or did something stupid, clients could be in short supply!  So, many if not most of them, actually carry Windex or some other general cleaner to freshen up homes, e.g. before, during or after open houses or also walkthroughs, if they've seen a particular hunter in action.    

Then you consider any ridiculous HH plots that probably had to be shot at least several times and they definitely need to carry a few supplies!

I'm really getting sick and tired of the couples holding hands when they meet with the realtor. It looks like they're anticipating negative medical test results. Or holding hands when they are inspecting a house, as if the bogeyman is going to jump out of the closet at any minute and eat one of them.

• Love 3

The other day I saw a HH say a perfectly good bathroom was not functional. I was like whaaaaa? She just didn't like the color.

Makes perfect sense to me. I don't know about you, but I just can't operate the toilet properly unless the paint color was the perfect shade of taupe.

• Love 2

WTH is a soaking tub? How is it different than a tub tub? I understand....I think....that a "spa" tub has jets. Otherwise wouldn't all tubs be soaking tubs?? Or does a soaking tub have to be long and deep with candles, a glass of wine, bubbles, and bobby pins to pin your hair up? I'm a big tub fan and I soak till the water is icy, so I'm thinking I need to rush out now and spend lots of $$ on this newfangled contraption just so I'm as hip a tub soaker as ever soaked.

• Love 2

Yes, soaking tubs are long and deep enough to take a bath and don't have jets but not all tubs are soaking tubs there are many tubs that aren't really deep enough to take a bath.

Yes, soaking tubs are long and deep enough to take a bath and don't have jets but not all tubs are soaking tubs there are many tubs that aren't really deep enough to take a bath.

So being able to submerge makes it a soaking tub? I see. I think I would like one.

So being able to submerge makes it a soaking tub? I see. I think I would like one.

Soaker tubs come in various widths and lengths but IIRC, the basic difference is 5" depth.  An average-sized person can typically soak their lower limbs / extremities in a standard tub but possibly not submerge their entire body.

Cost-wise, they typically start at least 3x a standard-sized tub and go from there, possibly up to 20x (or more) cost - and that's only for the tub, itself.  Installation can also exceed standard b/c they may require a reinforced floor to accommodate the add'l weight, especially if located on an upper floor.

So, JMHO but if you're comfortable in your tub currently and are an average to smaller-sized person, you might want to save the $$$.  Enjoy!  Don't forget the bubbles!

Arguabella, unfortunately my spa tub needs repairs, but I suspect it won't be the cost of a soaker! I can even soak well enough in a standard tub since I'm short. We used to have an antique claw foot. Now that was some gooooood soaking in spite of my paranoid musings regarding me, the water, and the tub crashing through the (reinforced) floor.

(edited)

I thought of all the chrome fixtures dislikes this weekend. Our house was built in 1998 and has lots of chrome finish in the bathrooms. I don't care for them either, but I wasn't about to spend the money to replace a functioning fixture just for looks. Well, our bathroom faucet has become dysfunctional enough to justify replacing it. I bought an oiled bronze finish that matches a towel rack I replaced. Now we have mismatched fixtures - the horror!

ETA: Correction, I meant brass colored fixtures, not chrome! Ack.

Edited by chessiegal

Chessiegal, you do know that if your house was for sale, absolutely no one would consider buying it because of those mismatched fixtures, don't you?  I hope you don't also have white appliances, because it would be totally unsellable.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Chessiegal, your home is a complete gut job. You should just give up and leave now.

My husband, who doesn't watch HH, has begun to comment as he walks by. His answer to every decor decision I ask about is to blow out a wall. This is the husband who has taken over the finished basement, which we call his Dungeon. Not his man cave.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 4

When I was first starting out on my own, I lived in a great townhouse in a neighborhood that was a nice mix of houses and small (6-10 unit) buildings like mine.  On one side of me was a house and on the other was a building of the same height as mine.  So, great sunlight on one side, so-so on the other.  Fast forward seven years, and with the city council bought and paid for by developers, huge buildings were going up everywhere, including a three-story behemoth on what had been the house side of me.  Bye-bye, sunlight (and bye-bye me).  In all the complaining I did during construction and the year I lived there afterward, I don't believe I ever once uttered the phrase "natural light."

I almost fainted when I heard one of the homeowners refer to the pet peeve natural light as...sunlight! I knew people existed who said sunlight! I felt like and M&M commercial. I have never referred to light from the outside as natural light. It has always been sunlight or sunny or even bright. 

I'm even crazier. I've always just called it light!

• Love 3

Fabulous news everyone.  Stainless Steel is out.  The new color is black stainless.  Yes that's right you all must immediately rip out your stainless appliances.  Well let's face it at this point if you have stainless you will need a total gut of the kitchen.  I haven't seen it in the flesh but the KitchenAid picture make it look like a matte grey.  Think iPhone.

• Love 3
(edited)

Black stainless sounds nice, but so do regular black or white appliances. When people complain about appliances being old, that's one thing. But when home buyers complain about brand-new black or white or eggshell appliances that blend perfectly with the decor of the recently renovated kitchen, I'm left shaking my head.

I'm really sick of buyers who yell at their Realtors. "Jen, you know we didn't want stairs near the front door. So why the heck are you showing us this house?" Or "Our budget is $300,000, and this house is listed at $298,000. We won't have any money left over for repairs, so why the heck are you showing us this house?" I know they say these things for the sake of drama, but it still bugs me.

I almost fainted when I heard one of the homeowners refer to the pet peeve natural light as...sunlight! I knew people existed who said sunlight! I felt like and M&M commercial. I have never referred to light from the outside as natural light. It has always been sunlight or sunny or even bright.

That reminds me of the homebuyer who didn't want a house wiht an east-facing bedroom because he liked to sleep late in the mornings. Ever heard of curtains?

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3

I'm really sick of buyers who yell at their Realtors. "Jen, you know we didn't want stairs near the front door. So why the heck are you showing us this house?"

Now, if you mean actually yell- yeah, that is unexcusable. But I'd have been pretty annoyed if my realtor showed me houses that had features that were on my "deal breaker" list.  Why waste my time? If I told him that was a feature I would not purchase a house with, don't show it to me. (Then again, I screened all the listings because he sent MLS listings first then we arranged visits.)

Of course, I didn't go fake house hunting for TV :)

As for stainless, I HATE my stainless appliances (non magnetic AND are horrible to clean) and am praying for them to break so I can replace them.  But they all work, so I'm not wasting the money just for looks.

(edited)

Saw one of those waterfront bargain hunt type shows today that riled me up because even though I hate the "must have stainless" whine I can sorta see being picky when it's your main house (known as the house to most of us!)  but to insist on stainless even in your "bargain" holiday home?  I mean c'mon people!  Is this a result of people saying what they are expected to say or are there really that many people out there who think any other kind of appliance marks them out as tacky or poor or something? 

Edited by CherryAmes

You know what bothers me?  When a house is significantly under budget and the prospective buyer is extremely excited.  Sorry, but if your budget is $350K and the house you're seeing is, say, $275K, it likely needs significant overhauling which might even put you OVER your budget.  And homes that are slightly over shouldn't be THAT much of an issue since you can ALWAYS negotiate down. 

• Love 2
And homes that are slightly over shouldn't be THAT much of an issue since you can ALWAYS negotiate down.

Yes.  I looked for houses above my budget and negotiated down.  I was able to do that in my particular market.  Of course, that's not possible everywhere. 

Also, I really think that a lot of these people look for houses in the range of what the bank will lend them, and not what they can actually comfortably afford.  That bothers me.  We were approved for more than what we felt our budget  should be, but I didn't want to wind up eating ramen noodles on a quartz counter top, cooked on a stainless steel stove. 

• Love 5

I had stainless in our last house. I found out WD40 is great for not only cleaning it, but keeping it clean. It's not perfect, but it was a thousand times better than anything I tried. I had some 2-year-old grease smudges on my oven it didn't fully remove, but otherwise it was magic. It repelled smudges really well too.

• Love 4

I'm always amazed when they see a house significantly under budget and they say "well that leaves us $50,000 (or whatever) for upgrades".  Wow.  I guess I know there are people out there paying cash for their houses but it still surprises me.   And to be honest sometimes I really don't think they actually are paying upfront - I guess they mean whatever money they could borrow for the house they can also put towards improvements.

• Love 1

I had stainless in our last house. I found out WD40 is great for not only cleaning it, but keeping it clean. It's not perfect, but it was a thousand times better than anything I tried. I had some 2-year-old grease smudges on my oven it didn't fully remove, but otherwise it was magic. It repelled smudges really well too.

Thanks for the tip - gonna try it! My fridge is fine - we bought that to match the range & dishwasher in the house, but those have some smudges.

I'm always amazed when they see a house significantly under budget and they say "well that leaves us $50,000 (or whatever) for upgrades".  Wow.  I guess I know there are people out there paying cash for their houses but it still surprises me.   And to be honest sometimes I really don't think they actually are paying upfront - I guess they mean whatever money they could borrow for the house they can also put towards improvements.

A lot of people buying a fixer-upper with that in mind get a home reno loan folded into their mortgage. I can't remember the name for it off the top of my head, but that's how I understand that they can do it. 

• Love 2

^^^Perhaps I should have been clearer:  For installation and maintenance of sewers, you pay double charges on a corner lot, since you pay for the entire lot line (both streets).

This must vary from location to location, 'cause I pay roughly the same amount as my neighbor, and sometimes actually less.

A question for you all:  center islands, yea or nay?

I don't happen to have one, but from my experience with them in other people's homes, I don't like them.  They narrow down the space between the island and the counter so two people have to turn sideways to pass each other.  Instead of being able to move in a direct line to all the major appliances, you usually have to walk around the counter to get to at least one of them.

Not fond of them, and actually didn't buy a house that had one, as it left no room for a table in the kitchen and there was no dining room, but that wasn't the only reason for passing on that house.  It's not a deal breaker if everything else is great, though.

• Love 2

Depends on the size of the house, I guess? If it also functions as an eating counter, it can work. I agree though - many times it takes up "flow" space. I don't like to be cramped in the kitchen. I have a great layout though - 1 wall is a halfwall so we have a peninsula on it. 

How did Mr. Idaho get cast on this show?  "Every house in the neighborhood is going to have this same kitchen."  "Tons of people have stairs and toddlers.  You teach them how to climb stairs, it's no big deal."

• Love 2

When people say "what is *baby* going to do with those stairs/steps" I wonder if they've ever heard of "baby gates"

Put on the gate and move on with your life until the baby is old enough for the stairs.

• Love 5

I found out that a dab of olive oil on a paper towel works wonders also.  

• Love 1