Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: The Holy Trinity and Beyond

On thing that always puzzles me, is why you would want a backsplash to be made of grout-intensive tiles.
Maybe I'm messier than others, and maybe no one else has ever lifted the beaters a split second too early, but I consider the backsplash to be there to catch splashes, and want to be able to wipe it off easily.

• Love 4
On thing that always puzzles me, is why you would want a backsplash to be made of grout-intensive tiles.

Maybe I'm messier than others, and maybe no one else has ever lifted the beaters a split second too early, but I consider the backsplash to be there to catch splashes, and want to be able to wipe it off easily.

Because the people who want that don't even know what a beater is. They just want a pretty kitchen that will impress their friends and family.

• Love 5

Or the tiles with the really rough surfaces -- I have seen lots of backsplashes on these shows made of what looks like tiny limestone tiles, and all I can think is they are *never* going to be able to keep that clean. Even if you aren't a kitchen slob like I am, it's going to get greasy and stained just by being near a stove top that's occasionally used to saute something.

• Love 2

I can't take the vocal fry of the female home-buyers anymore!  I just can't!  It's become like chalk squeaking on a chalkboard to me!

Why on earth do these women think that speaking that way sounds good?  Why don't the guys they're with ask them to speak in a normal voice?  Why don't their mothers slap them upside their heads????

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

• Love 5

I can't take the vocal fry of the female home-buyers anymore!  I just can't!  It's become like chalk squeaking on a chalkboard to me!

Why on earth do these women think that speaking that way sounds good?  Why don't the guys they're with ask them to speak in a normal voice?  Why don't their mothers slap them upside their heads????

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Oh DTS, you're my HH kindred spirit.   Thank god someone feels the same way as me, I feel better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I despise that way of speaking.   I've had to stop watching a few episodes because of it.   I noticed it's virtually a guarantee if the HH's are based in CA, AZ or the Pacific Northwest, but lately these vile way of speaking is spreading nationwide.  I can't take it, even local newscasters (I'm in Florida) are talking this way !   Also, these women (and some guys too) are using the words "LITERALLY" AND "LIKE" in every single sentence.    Makes my skin crawl.

I actually came here to vent another pet peeve of mine.    When somebody likes a particular style or aspect of a house, why do they have to justify it with, "That's what I grew up with."     PLENTY of people grew up in houses that do not have aspects that they'd like to bring into their adulthood.   Just say "I prefer a ranch/colonial/etc" 

I understand wanting the childhood romantic notions of home rekindled, but THEN SAY THAT.

Gah.    Rant over.

• Love 3

My latest pet peeve is house hunters who are repulsed by carpeting.  One recent show had a guy who kept complaining every time he saw carpet that he would be spending all his time vacuuming.  Does he know that hard wood floors are not maintenance free either?  You have to sweep them and polish them.  If you spill something on them, you still have to clean it up.  Other house hunters are disgusted thinking of all the dirt and germs in the carpet.  Again, do they realize that is what the vacuum and carpet cleaner are for?  I understand liking the look of hardwood floors but lately people have such visceral negative reactions to carpeting that I have to laugh.  We have hardwoods on our first floor but we put a few large area rugs down for some warmth and cushion.  My brother and sister-in-law have no rugs on their hardwoods and standing on them for a period of time can really cause a sore back.  I also like the warmth of carpeting in bedrooms especially in the cold winter months.  

• Love 1

Carpet simply isn't going to be as clean as hardwood, so I understand not wanting it for that reason.  But "Ugh, carpet" has long been one of my annoyances with this show because it's so repetitive.  Even though I dislike carpet, I like the change of pace when a HH prefers it.

• Love 3

People forget that with hardwood floors, you have to dust them with a mop or a Swiffer or something, because dust is much more visible on them.  We only had carpeting the living room when I was growing up so the rest of the floors had to be mopped because a vacuum cleaner didn't really do a lot for dust.

• Love 2

We changed out our carpets in the living areas to dark wood a few years ago.  I have to dust mop them every other day or the house looks filthy.  Sometimes it is a pain but I remind myself that the dirt would be there with carpet only I would not see it which is sort of gross.

I know this has been noted but I cannot stand people who complain about neighbors being so close that they can look into the windows.  Our neighbors behind us have 7 kids, they have a 2 story house we don't.  The kids will wave to me from their bedrooms sometimes, I think it's cute.  They also talk to us over the fence when they are in their playhouse, no big deal.

Edited by CoolMom
  • Love 2

I don't get that whole aversion to close neighbors thing, either.  If you want to live close to a city, you're going to have close neighbors.  If you want to pretend you're wealthy and live in a McMansion but can't afford the price of acreage, then you're going to have close neighbors.  If it's that much of an issue to you, then save up more money until you can afford something with more distance.

It's not as if the majority of people spend their time looking in each others windows, and if you don't want people to see in, put up blinds or drapes or curtains or translucent shades over the offending windows.  Problem solved.

• Love 4

I don't get that whole aversion to close neighbors thing, either.  If you want to live close to a city, you're going to have close neighbors.  If you want to pretend you're wealthy and live in a McMansion but can't afford the price of acreage, then you're going to have close neighbors.  If it's that much of an issue to you, then save up more money until you can afford something with more distance.

It's not as if the majority of people spend their time looking in each others windows, and if you don't want people to see in, put up blinds or drapes or curtains or translucent shades over the offending windows.  Problem solved.

When we first bought this house no one had fences, we could see into each others back windows.  My kids were really little and would think it was awesome when the original neighbors were watching the same show as us (usually Friends or Jeopardy).   As a habit I open my blinds in the morning once we are out of our pajamas and close them after dinner.  No big deal.  I always wonder what people have to hide, are they walking around in the nude or something?

• Love 2

The girlfriend gushing over the walk-in closet, and telling the boyfriend that all his stuff will be in a little corner or outside.  On the flip side, the boyfriend gushing over the basement which will be his man cave.  Just once I would love to see the guy do backflips over the large closet to hold all his stuff, while the girlfriend claims the basement for her woman cave.  Or her lady cave.  There has to be a better phrase for it, but you get my point.

Thank you, Amethyst. (But it's funny that I started typing "wife" and "husband" and didn't notice that you'd typed "girlfriend" and "boyfriend." I'm old. Shacking up was frowned upon in my family. LOL).

The closet and man-cave speeches sound so superficial and selfish. As if the wife has soooo many glamorous clothes and shoes that she couldn't possibly make room for her husband's thrift-store rags. And as if the husband has to have his own tv/video game/tequila room and couldn't possibly imagine sharing space with the rest of his peasant family. And of course a woman doesn't need a room of her own. Isn't that what the kitchen is for?

• Love 6

I try to ignore all these things (e.g. carpet v. hardwood floors, close neighbors or city v. suburbs) b/c we viewers hear them so frequently that I have to believe they are standard plots, created by the production team.

Used to think all the bathroom issues, e.g. elongated toilets or requiring new toilets must be real but those seem to be common these days so don't know for sure -

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

I am sort of repulsed by the women who go into those huge walk-in closets - those really big ones that are like a separate room - and then complain that they aren't going to be large enough for all their clothes, and their husbands agree.  I find myself wondering why on earth one person needs so many clothes, and why they seem to be proud of the fact that they have so many.

• Love 11

I always find it annoying when some of these women discuss the sizes of closets, or express delight in the fact that the closets are huge, while wearing some hideous outfit.  It's like they're excited they're going to have more space for their clothing from the Kathie Lee Gifford collection.

• Love 9

There use to be a show called I hate my Kitchen, that did a good job showcasing different material choices for kitchens.  The host would use a wide variety of materials like soapstone, quartz, aggots(sp?), concrete, and butcher block.  I won't say I always loved his designs, but it was a nice way to step out of the box of the usual House Hunters trinity.

I agree about the closets.  I understand that in HH world all  women like clothes and shopping (I like clothes as much as the next lady, but I would never force my husband out of our bedroom closet for it). It  would just be nice to hear a lady say at least once "These closets are so huge...I can finally house my collection of rare first edition antique books".

• Love 7

I look at those huge closets, and thinking of the fact that some of those houses are on slabs, and say to myself, "there's room to store some of the Christmas decorations in there" - lol.  That's the direction my mind travels in.

• Love 2

I have a small (just big enough to walk into) walk-in closet in my bedroom.  I'm a person who loves clothes and shoes and probably have way too many of both.  No my closet doesn't hold all of my clothes, but that's what dressers are for.  I'm always amazed that these people act like every stitch of clothing they own has to be hung in the closet.  Do those women hang their panties and socks?  Pajamas?  Ratty old t-shirts they only wear to work out in?  Why do folks not understand the possibility of other storage solutions?

• Love 3

SistaLadyBug just take notice of the other renovation shows.  They don't put any furniture in the bedrooms now.  Maybe one night table.  I complain about this all the time.  I need my dressers.

• Love 3

Not everybody has big enough closets to do that.  I don't have walk-ins..just 2 his and hers to hang stuff.

I have a triple dresser it would never fit in my closet and it's a walk-in.  Not a huge walk-in but a walk-in that fits my clothes, DH's clothes and stuff we need to store. 

• Love 1

I've got my great-aunt's waterfall bedroom set from the 1930's so I've got:

a mirrored vanity with five drawers

a mirrored bureau

a double bureau

two bedside tables each with a drawer and a hinged-door compartment

Plus two double-closets in my bedroom.  Half the stuff I have in all that storage space could probably be given away because I no longer know exactly what's there anymore.

• Love 2

I always glance in people's homes in the evening when I'm passing by, if they don't have their windows covered.  I have absolutely no interest in what the people inside may be doing - I just like to see how the interiors are set up and decorated.  Especially in places where all the homes are similar in exterior style, it's interesting to see all the variations on the same theme.

But I am the type of person who closes the curtains and blinds when it gets dark out.  That's just because I don't like looking at gaping dark holes in the wall at night.  While I enjoy the people who let their interiors be on display, to do so myself would make me uncomfortable.

• Love 6

I like having the blinds open during the day because I like the house to feel light and bright, however, I wind up closing them during the day mostly in the summer and winter.  I live in Texas, and I'm sure the house is cooler--at least visually, when the blinds are shut during the day.  It's just so doggone hot! Of course, during the winter, I wind up closing the blinds because it feels colder--all this despite having energy efficient windows! Spring and fall they tend to be open, and I love it!

I have a small (just big enough to walk into) walk-in closet in my bedroom.  I'm a person who loves clothes and shoes and probably have way too many of both.  No my closet doesn't hold all of my clothes, but that's what dressers are for.  I'm always amazed that these people act like every stitch of clothing they own has to be hung in the closet.  Do those women hang their panties and socks?  Pajamas?  Ratty old t-shirts they only wear to work out in?  Why do folks not understand the possibility of other storage solutions?

I'm one of those people. ;)  I prefer to hang everything I possibly can. I just find it so much more efficient that way. I don't even have a lot of clothes but I like being able to open the closet and see everything at a glance and just grab whatever is saying "wear me!". I don't like rooting through dresser drawers or items stacked on a shelf. Doing so means you have to have an idea of what you want to wear first and I never do.  And since everything can't be on the top, you have to keep taking things out and refolding to put back after you've found something you like underneath. Also doing laundry is much easier when you can simply put everything on hangers, don't have to neatly fold everything and decide what drawer to cram it back into. 

I'm lucky enough now to have a large closet all to myself (not actually a walk-in but it is big enough I can duck into it and change my shirt). I have everything on hangers except pants, which is one thing easier to fold then hang, and they are on the sole shelf inside the closet. I have one four-drawer dresser which holds my undergarments and jewelry. My husband has his own, smaller, closet and a dresser which same as mine, holds just undergarments, and bottom drawer for toiletries as there's no room in our tiny bathroom to store anything. 

I'm one of those people who like space just for the sake of space, I like things to feel open and uncluttered, so I would put the dressers in the closets if they fit. I think dressers are inefficient for clothes storage and the tops usually just become catch-alls for clutter. 

Also must add, not only is my closet and dresser not in the bedroom, they aren't even on the same floor as the bedroom. The perks of this arrangement far outweigh any inconvenience though. Which is why I don't get the HH's who can't fathom the idea of possibly, ya' know, using the closets in the guest bedroom. Is it that hard to go to another room?

• Love 3

Which is why I don't get the HH's who can't fathom the idea of possibly, ya' know, using the closets in the guest bedroom. Is it that hard to go to another room?

Or use a bathroom down the hall?  Why does your ensuite bathroom (if you're lucky enough to have one), need to have two sinks and enough room to swing a cat?  Can't one of you use the bathroom down the hall if it's small and only has 1 sink and you both need it at the same time?

• Love 6

The bathroom with the floor space of a disco. I don't get that unless you like boogying in the buff. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm sure that could be fun. Plug in Donna Summers 8-track and I might get down, too.

Has anyone yet reported that their dog or their toddler hated a house and were miserable there?

• Love 2

Those dogs are probably so happy to get out being cooped up in an apt. or a condo that they do back-flips if they even get a square foot of green grass, much less a whole yard.

I don't think that I would like one of those really huge bathrooms, especially if the toilet area wasn't isolated.  It would sort be like sitting on the porcelain throne in a living room.  I also don't like clothes closets that are accessed via the bathroom, because of the steam and damp.

• Love 2

Rhondinella, when I first started watching, before I understood how things worked, I saw a couple go into this huge bathroom, shiny brass fixtures, and what's that Italian tile that's so yesterday, and I thought "wow, what a cool bathroom, they're gonna love it."

I was quickly and abruptly brought into what's in fashion in whatever year it was.

Downtheshore, I have the Christmas tree in my closet, as well as a bookcase.
I must admit that since I retired, I don't have a lot of clothes, and keep most slacks and jeans foled in drawers.

• Love 1

Ha you said slacks. ;)

Well informally, in conversation, I'd probably say pants, and to be totally honest, some are sweatpants, but didn't know the word was passé.

I don't own any of those yoga pants that I believe are in.

Why don't the guys they're with ask them to speak in a normal voice?

How come no one ever mentions the vocal frys (fries????) on men? I heard a man the other day whose voice was just awful.

Sometimes it is a pain but I remind myself that the dirt would be there with carpet only I would not see it which is sort of gross.

As long as the dust is not in the kitchen or bathrooms, if I can't see it, it ain't there. Must I remind you of all the dust mites crawling all over our bodies and in our beds?

If your first thoughts are of how the neighbors can look in on you, you're really saying something about yourself and how you spend your idle time.

I have a couple of phrases that are beginning to get on my nerves:

* cookie cutter

* wow factor

Mojito, don't forget "the view" over and over and over, "the view".  i never even considered the view when I bought my house.  It's in a subdivision where most houses are similar.  As long as I'm not looking at a trash dump, a 4-lane highway, or some other unpleasant thing, the view would be way down on the list of things important. Of course, here in south Louisiana, mountain views are obviously missing.  

• Love 2

And, "the view" from the master bedroom that they're going to wake up to!  How many of those people sleep in a bedroom with no window coverings, so that the dawn's early light streams in each day at sunrise and they wake up looking out of those windows?  If they are like the majority of us, they don't see what's outside their bedroom windows until they open the blinds/shades/curtains.  Heck, I never even bother to open the blinds in my bedroom anymore because I'm mainly only in that room when I'm going to bed.

Another thing about that, that always makes me laugh is that for people like me, who've worn glasses all of their lives and who have bad eyesight, we can't even see what's outside the window clearly without our glasses/contacts on!

-------

I think it's properly "vocal frys" in this instance. =)

I haven't really heard it on many straight men, so it hasn't been as glaring to me as with the women.

• Love 2

Mojito, don't forget "the view" over and over and over, "the view".  i never even considered the view when I bought my house.  It's in a subdivision where most houses are similar.  As long as I'm not looking at a trash dump, a 4-lane highway, or some other unpleasant thing, the view would be way down on the list of things important. Of course, here in south Louisiana, mountain views are obviously missing.  

Ah, but laredhead, doesn't that mean you've subconsciously made the decision about the home's view, assuming you were househunting, lol?  You would have immediately rejected a home behind the 4-lane highway or trash dump or that had poor curb appeal, correct?  Doesn't that mean the "view", such as it is where you happen to live, is such an important factor that you consider it w/o even thinking about it, hahahaha ?

That's probably an example of how buyers actually made their decision within a minute or two of arriving for the property tour.  The subconscious mind weighs a number of factors instantaneously and rejects any property that doesn't meet those qualifications or satisfy those parameters.  The buyers maintain their own list, in their head, subconsciously.

So, the HH ptb, would probably tell us that they're simply drawing out the buyers' subconscious list when they feed HH participants all those ridiculous, canned, repetitive lines, right?  They might say that subconsciously we all crave the ss and granite - we just don't think about it constantly, lolololol ...

My pet peeve word might be "updated"!  To me, that just means someone installed a couple of cheapie ss appliances to unload their place.

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 2

Houses with two bathrooms have a master bath and a "guest bath."  Thanks to all those people who love entertaining, apparently more than their children...

Yeah, I get tired of hearing about "entertaining", too.

I do believe, however, that most people in real life still make the distinction between a kids' bath and guest bath.  The 2nd bath, in my experience, isn't automatically or always the "guest bath" - it's usually the kids' or described according to the party(ies) who typically use it.  If a home's residents don't include children and a 2nd/final bath is typically used by guests, then it's a "guest bath".

Newer, suburban tract homes often include either 2.5 or 3 bathrooms and include children so the powder room or guest bath on the lower level or main floor is frequently designated as the "guest bath" and used by guests, visiting the home's main level.  

Besides that, it's probably another instance where tptb are feeding that terminology to the show participants!  It kinda' annoys me when I hear the HGTV realtors calling all extra bedrooms in a home "guest" rooms.  True, the buyer may use the extra rooms for any purpose they like but to many/most people, they're kids' rooms.  And, sellers usually stage a traditional guest room appropriately so the rooms' purpose is obvious, IMHO. 

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

Don't get me started on terminology Bearcat.  I hate the when they call rooms "space", budget has become "price point".  Yard and/or terrace or porch has become "outdoor space".  An extra non specified room has become "bonus space" and last but not least... a pool is:  "There's a surprise for you in the yard".  Don't forget "ticking off all the boxes".

Who says things this way.

• Love 6

Things you never hear people say on HH/HHI:

* Are there any libraries nearby? Our kids like to read.

* This room will fit two sets of bunk beds nicely. Aunt Betty and Uncle John will be able to sleep with the boys instead of on the foldout in the living room.

* Oh, that's a deal breaker for me. I wanted a white kitchen. These stainless steel appliances will have to go.

* My wish list includes a liquor store within walking distance.

• Love 13

Things you never hear people say on HH/HHI:

* Are there any libraries nearby? Our kids like to read.

* This room will fit two sets of bunk beds nicely. Aunt Betty and Uncle John will be able to sleep with the boys instead of on the foldout in the living room.

* Oh, that's a deal breaker for me. I wanted a white kitchen. These stainless steel appliances will have to go.

* My wish list includes a liquor store within walking distance.

Or how about:

* Where can I put my stripper pole?

* This wallpaper/paint color is so beautiful!

* I really could care less what my neighbors are seeing over here or why they'd even give a damn about what goes on in my home.

* This would be the perfect room for enjoying all my porn!

* What a nice big stairwell; our kid will just have to learn to be very careful while walking on stairs.

* I just love the noises of the city.

* I just don't have enough shoes/clothes to ever fill up this closet.

* Stainless steel and granite is for basic bitches.

• Love 9

Don't get me started on terminology Bearcat.  I hate the when they call rooms "space", budget has become "price point".  Yard and/or terrace or porch has become "outdoor space".  An extra non specified room has become "bonus space" and last but not least... a pool is:  "There's a surprise for you in the yard".  Don't forget "ticking off all the boxes".

Who says things this way.

Good question, NYGirl, "Who says things this way?"

Perhaps the answer is "Nobody!", lol.  Not trying to sound like a broken record WRT the HGTV / HH production company but do any of you agree that people frequently write things much differently than they say them in real life?  So, my guess is that some intern or production assistant scribed many of these lines and phrases way back when - say, back to the beginning of HH time and they stuck!

Do have a different guess for one phrase.  (Yippee, lol!)  My understanding is that "ticking the boxes" is a British phrase.  Have learned by reading various participant blogs that the main, and possibly the original, HH production team was (and is, currently) based in London.  So, I believe that's the origin of HH's constant use or overuse (IMHO) of that particular phrase.

Wish I could point to a financial or RE professional reason for some of the other phrases but that's not the case, according to my own professional background.  The various phrases, IMHO, were most likely written by some 19 year-old intern who volunteered in 2005 (or whenever) and hoped it sounded professional to the Pie Town Productions ptb he/she was trying to impress in order to score a real job, lol!

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 2