Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: The Holy Trinity and Beyond

12 hours ago, Nysha said:

Not to mention the horrors of carpet in the living room!

I'll take carpet.  It's quieter and more comfortable, and much nicer for the dog.  I realize this is pretty much a generational thing, but I'm old, and want carpet.

• Love 7

I hate the trendy things that will soon be out of fashion.   Gray paint grosses me out, it looks cold and if it's too dark the room looks like a cavern to me, but I've noticed that light blue seems to be the new trend.     I hate cement tiles, and hope that trend ends soon too.    

• Love 4

My step-daughter added a bathroom to her house last year. She used black and white cement tiles on the floor. She doesn't watch HGTV, so I'm sure it's something she found on the internet. The bathroom looks great. She has a good eye for design.

Yes, there are nice cement tiles, but the ones that the HHR homeowner picked were so loud, and clashed with everything she chose.     I'm guessing that Miss Glam picked everything right off of a TV show, and in a few years will want to change everything to the latest fad.  

They've actually had some that were lighter gray on the show on other episodes, and they weren't bad.   

15 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, there are nice cement tiles, but the ones that the HHR homeowner picked were so loud, and clashed with everything she chose.     I'm guessing that Miss Glam picked everything right off of a TV show, and in a few years will want to change everything to the latest fad.  

They've actually had some that were lighter gray on the show on other episodes, and they weren't bad.   

I'm remodeling my master bathroom and selected tile this week. The specialty tile shop didn't even have a display with those fugly cement tiles. I commented on that and the nice lady told me they simply aren't popular here. She and I agreed they are tacky looking. I picked tiles in a nice calming ivory for the shower and the floor. The walls will be painted a very light blue.

• Love 3

CD-That sounds nice, and I always thought a master bath should be relaxing, and pretty.      The HHR bathroom was awful, everything was too busy, and it looked like a showroom for various bathroom tiles.

I think they're making tiles that look like the cement tiles, but are actually ceramic and are sealed, so they install like regular tiles.     I hate taking care of anything that needs resealing.    My backsplash tiles in the bath and kitchen have grout (it costs extra, but it's worth it) that is totally sealed already, and will never need maintenance, and I love that.    I have to laugh when the house hunters whine about old-fashioned, colorful Spanish tile, and remove it for cement tile that needs a lot more work, and isn't as pretty to me.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On 8/26/2018 at 9:28 PM, Nysha said:

I hate tiles on bathroom walls! I would take a pink tub & toilet over pink wall tiles.

This show has spoiled me. I've been perusing houses on Zillow and there have been several somewhat expensive houses that were built in the 80s and haven't been updated. My mental monologue keeps saying that for that kind of money I expect more than laminated countertops and varnished plywood cupboards. Not to mention the horrors of carpet in the living room!

;-)

In actuality, though, I'd rather have something not updated and do it myself.

My place was updated in 2006 and 2012 (two waves), which I generally like, but I'd rather be starting from scratch.

Drives me crazy when people act like something is worthless because "dated" and mean 2000 era.  People here are whiny about non white cabinets or dark floors or dark granite.  I updated my place somewhat before selling (I got stainless steel when my old appliances needed to be replaced, so that had been done, but they weren't the preferred SubZero, Wolf, blah blah, but they weren't when I sold either), and I read a bunch of real estate blogs before and it drove me mad. "People going on about "ick, so 2005," and the inherent superiority of anything "on trend."

My dad and his SO recently bought an old place that had had the kitchen redone (not most of the rest of the house) and it was hilarious in that it was every on trend HGTV thing -- fancy appliances, subway tile, farmhouse sink, so on.  It had also been expanded to make room for an island, cabinets were white, granite was blonde.

• Love 1
On 8/28/2018 at 8:03 AM, CruiseDiva said:

I'm remodeling my master bathroom and selected tile this week. The specialty tile shop didn't even have a display with those fugly cement tiles. I commented on that and the nice lady told me they simply aren't popular here. She and I agreed they are tacky looking. I picked tiles in a nice calming ivory for the shower and the floor. The walls will be painted a very light blue.

Sounds like you made great choices, CD.  But, IIRC, you always do!  If you have time and care to share, I'd love to see the b&a photos when you finish.

My understanding is the cement tiles are out.  The HGTV designers use items that highlight their sponsors.  Walk into any HD or Lowe's and you'll prob see a huge display of (inexpensive) cement tiles.

Also, the episodes don't air until at least 6 mos or more after filming.  The designers and manufacturers are already onto the next big thing!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, aguabella said:

Sounds like you made great choices, CD.  But, IIRC, you always do!  If you have time and care to share, I'd love to see the b&a photos when you finish.

Thank you! I'll be happy to have an updated master bathroom to go with my updated kitchen. No more "welcome to 1987"! LOL!! Will share photos when complete in a couple months. As soon as master bath is complete I'm sure DH will want to re-do the hall bathroom that he uses. 

I loved the House Hunters Renovation episode where the homeowners spent way more than they planned, and so the upstairs master bath had paper thin sticky vinyl tiles like the cement tiles, so it would look the same, and you know the tile ripped before the week was out.      I think it was the episode where the male homeowner just had to redo the outside siding, and it costs tens of thousands extra., but I'm not sure.  

• Love 1

Adrian Leeds isn't really a real estate agent. I was reading an interview with her (she's fabulous) and how they needed someone to "play agent." She of course is in property/real estate but she doesn't spend her non-tv time showing people rental properties in paris. She has her own properties that she rents out "short" term, and has started a similar business in Nice. Along with the gazbillion other things she does. She's amazing.

This is a show where the client sees three properties, if it's a couple, or a client and a friend, each one is "assigned" one note to sing the entire episode, and when that note is off key, all it says to me is the producers couldn't find a decent storyline for the individual in question. Nobody is just seeing three properties in a compressed period of time. No way everybody sits down and says "Let's eliminate one" every single time. It's "reality" tv, meaning not real at all. All of the clients have chosen their property - most are in contract - by the time this is filmed. I really liked the guy who wanted the "view" in the Isle of Wight. He had to say it every time, and at the end, in the intersticials, he was like "View! The waves!" he was cracking me up, having fun with it. Of course, since they've chosen the property by the time they are filmed, one person has to play the "obstacle" and the other person has to want exactly what it is they have already purchased or rented.

My two favorite episodes were the dancer in Paris (going by her blog, Adrian liked her as well), and the couple who bought a BnB (or rented) a B&B in Nicaragua. Both ended up with really cool, reality-based spaces that made sense with what they claimed were their needs. And just as a side observation, while the "Montmartre" apartment had a lovely kitchen and living space, the bathroom and the bedroom were both impossible, IMO. Her tramway-side apartment was way better, and there are a billion appliances that can whip that non-kitchen into shape in no time.

One of the blogs I occasionally follow published a heat sensor map of the most used spaces in any home. No surprise, it's the kitchen. The dining room gets almost no play. All the "entertainment space" people insist upon also gets almost no play. But on these shows, you'd think people entertain 40 guests at a time on a regular basis. And four bedrooms, because they might have one guest a few times a year. I just hate when it's one couple and they want ALL THIS SPACE. And kill me if I ever see another bonus room. Also, some day, somebody will mention that "open concept" is not the only kitchen idea out there. Sometimes one doesn't want the cooking smells all over the living room, or to have the kitchen be that accessible.

I've liked a lot of the kitchens that "were a complete gut job", particularly counters and tile.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 6

We were in Paris 2016 and 2017, staying at the same hotel. There was a real estate office next door that had listings in the window. Adrian's claim there is no multiple listing services in Paris, just word of mouth, rings hollow to me since I've seen more than 1 office where you can buy/rent homes.

• Love 2

Well, Adrian freely admits she is basically playing a part. She's been on 33 episodes (per an interview I saw). Someone with a Paris dream has to say "It's my dream!" a hundred times an episode because that's the producer-driven storyline, and with Europe the show often wants to emphasis the "strange, non-American ways of this new culture" hence, word of mouth. So French! I mean, in the dancer episode, Adrian had to play devil's advocate for the Montmontre apartment, saying that's the heart of the dancer community, but how many working journeywoman and men dancers can afford Montmontre and are actually living there?

At least this show is not "as" bad as the tiny house hunter shows. That's when I realized they were fake. Someone would say "I want to go tiny!" And the real estate person would show them a) a hot air balloon that's been tricked out to pinterest standards while remaining airborne viable; b) a decaying cabin in the woods without plumbing; c) a converted outhouse. Then the couple would sit down and earnestly discuss their apparently only three options. And of course, with "Tiny" as soon as the clients got inside any space it would be the whining about no full size appliances. One woman "fire fighter" saw three options, including one where she said the exterior colors were awfully loud, and it might be tougher to tow than she envisioned. That was the one she "chose." As it turns out, she was interviewed by tiny house youtube channels and she had had that house commissioned, including the paint job, and was never "in the market" at all - her home was made to order.

The only two times I've seen it THAT bad on this show was the NYC-Dallas duo where the wife "wanted" basically palatial, with a pool, and the real estate agent showed them two homes that were the opposite plus a palace. Guess which one they chose. And a family that was the opposite way - they saw two turnkey palaces and one reality-sized semi-fixer upper with a decent yard and that was the one they "chose". For that family, I kind of knew in advance cause the other two homes clearly had people living in them - they weren't "staged" - they were full on occupied. 

Well known reddit post where a woman who had been on the show said they were in contract when the show contacted them, and it was up to THEM to find the two other homes they were "considering". Their neighbors pitched in, but it was tough cause not everyone wants their home on TV. And you basically can't be on HH unless you're already in contract. HH producers responded by saying they've found the actual process of house hunting is way too protracted to realistically produce the show, but it's all good because once they start filming, the clients "find themselves BACK in that moment" when they were actually deciding.

I'd kind of like to see the protracted version, but I know it's impractical. I mean, if someone wants a yard, there are going to be options with yards, some with better yards than others. It's not going to be - here's a house with no yard at all - unless the clients agree OVER THE PHONE, not when pulling up to the place.

Finally, I first went to Paris when I was in my late teens. Went with my sister. We Fromer's Guided it. It was in September, so very difficult to find a "bargain" place to stay multiple days in a row, we hopped around a lot. I loved the places that had a french window, a curtained off bathroom, and all the impractical, picturesque oddities. Now I see some of these apartments with "Parisian charm" that cost more than some couple in New Jersey who are buying an entire house, and I get claustrophobic. I like an actual layout! 

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We were in Paris 2016 and 2017, staying at the same hotel. There was a real estate office next door that had listings in the window. Adrian's claim there is no multiple listing services in Paris, just word of mouth, rings hollow to me since I've seen more than 1 office where you can buy/rent homes.

Multiple listing services are different though, you have to go to each of those agencies to see what there availability is and they are only listed at that one office, you cant just have your own realtor look up all the places for sale in a given area on the computer. I just finished reading  L'Appart. The Delights and Disasters of Making My Paris Home by David Leibovitz and it took him several years to find a place because of how tedious it is to not have a MLS. He finally ended up using a.service that was relatively new where you tell the person what your looking for and they go around to the different agencies and use their contacts to track down a place. The book is interesting and has some great recipes. It also took away any desire I have to buy and renovate a place in Paris!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

I'm annoyed that the "after" reveals are all these zooming quick-cuts so you can hardly see what happened before they bounce to another set of quick-cuts in another room.  Like, slow down and let us actually SEE the before and afters!  They spend so much time repeating the same clips after each commercial.  They could easily cut those out and spend more than a minute total on frantically cut results.

• Love 9

biabiak, do your recommend the book L'Appart? As a kindle purchase or library choice?

I enjoyed - as did most people, obviously - A Year in Provence - which was about the renovation of a Provence house, but it didn't make me wish I had my own stone home in Provence. What appealed to me most was the stone swimming pool they renovated - it was too cold most of the time to swim in, but I thought the times you could swim in it must be delightful.

Has there ever been a couple who wanted the same type of house?  I've never seen a couple that agreed on the style, the area, the price.  Maybe House Hunters tells them what they can and can't agree on.  

• Love 2

Open concept. I will never understand the love for one room that encompasses the living room, dining room, family room, and kitchen. There are no walls or partitions to block sound or give privacy. I just don't get it.

I love cement tiles so if they are trending, it is great trend. I do see them on designer sites like Houzz. Then again, I have always been a huge fan Antonio Gaudi's architecture and he popularized encaustic cement tiles for use in regular buildings as they were used by primarily by European aristocracy and wealthy before. However, I don't think most people who install them realize that they need constant care to keep the patina and resealing every two to three years. I prefer the porcelain tile with the encaustic style.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Diane M said:

Maybe House Hunters tells them what they can and can't agree on.  

I think that's a lot of it.  Is it possible that long wed couples have such radically different wants?  I suppos3.  But I think most of this comes from the How to Fake Reality Handbook - they each get to pick two wildly disparate passions from a list for each category.  They are not allowed to chose the same one in any category.

• Category A - Style: craftsman, mid-century modern, one-story, two story, farmhouse, condo, bedrooms all on one floor, open concept
  • Category B - Amenities:  pool, exercise room, man cave, she shed, privacy, turn key, "walkability", garage
  • Category C - Location:  close to work, close to transportation, no neighbors, acreage, near family
  • Category D - Budget:  must be on budget, can go over budget (easy one)
  • Love 5
On 9/2/2018 at 7:27 PM, SimoneS said:

Open concept. I will never understand the love for one room that emcompasses the living room, dining room, family room, and kitchen room. There are no walls or partitions to block sound or give privacy. I just don't get it.

I'm thinking of all the noisy things I do in the kitchen.
Running the mixer, blender, dishwasher, water...
You want to hear the TV, get yourself a wall.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 11

I have been catching up with all of my HHI(and I am really behind...almost a month, give or take). I just finished watching the NC to Germany with the newlyweds...first thing I wondered is how long they will stay married if she is really as self-centered as the show made her look! My pet peeve though really showed up in this episode. Why do all the husband and wives say that they are giving up everything to go overseas when their spouses get a new job? I would think it would be a grand adventure that probably won't last forever. I would have loved to have had the chance to see the world when I was young! They always say that because they gave up everything, they should have all the choices. I know that they are told to act like this but don't TPTB realize how selfish this makes the people sound? Yes, a foreign country will be a learning experience but it surely isn't a punishment that deserves special consideration in choosing a place to live. I'm really tired of the "we have to live in the city center so I can shop and drink coffee...I don't care that my spouse has to travel several hours a day to get to work. You do know  that I gave up everything to come with them!"

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Yep and not a single word of praise about what they are gaining.  Whine, whine, whine.

So true. I'd love to take a sabbatical in a foreign country. Going to another country, having a decent place to live and not having to work so you can really soak in the culture is a dream scenario for many of us.  I'd trade places with many of these complainers in a heartbeat.

• Love 5

I was thinking about this show and wishing I could see a HH from 15 years ago. Found this from  2008. It's funny to hear the things that were appreciated then that HHs now won't stand for. Ahh, the good old days when Suzanne Whang narrated, they had that funky theme song (chick-aaaaah), and there was nothing wrong with small (or no) islands and a plain brick fireplace.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojito said:

I was thinking about this show and wishing I could see a HH from 15 years ago. Found this from  2008. It's funny to hear the things that were appreciated then that HHs now won't stand for. Ahh, the good old days when Suzanne Whang narrated, they had that funky theme song (chick-aaaaah), and there was nothing wrong with small (or no) islands and a plain brick fireplace.

No fussing about the lack of stainless appliances and no insistence on white Shaker style cabinets and granite or quartz countertops. What a nice normal family. Really refreshing!

That old format was so superior to the current one with all the eye rolling and complaining.

• Love 5

Copied from my post in HHI - I just had to vent some more; I've reached my tipping point here, I think:

And I am so beyond tired of "friends and family, friends and family" and needing an extra bedroom- I am at least aware enough that if I moved overseas, or even to the other side of the country (or even a couple of states away), I'm not seeing my ex-local friends again, unless I travel back myself. And maybe I'd see my family once a year, if I was lucky. Do these people think they're so exceptional and irreplaceable that everyone they know will want to spend all their vacation time and money going to see them? ...

Sheesh. Get over yourselves, people. You're simply just not. that. special. Sorry.

• Love 11
On 9/11/2018 at 7:43 PM, mojito said:

I know this area.  Those retention ponds occasionally get alligators.  Definitely not what you want in the backyard.

• Love 1

I know this is a rant many of us have shared a few times by now (raises hand) but this great room business is getting on my last nerve.  I guess it's because I PVR'd a bunch of new flipper shows and binge watched this weekend and I swear to god every single episode of each program had them "tear down the walls" and "open up the kitchen" and "no one will buy this house if it's not just one huge room" (ok no one said that but basically that's what they meant).  Dammit I am living for a show where someone says "hey gang let's put up some walls!!"

• Love 10
5 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Dammit I am living for a show where someone says "hey gang let's put up some walls!!"

There was a Property Brothers episode a few years ago where someone hated open concept and was demanding that the walls stay up.  Drew or Jonathon spent the entire episode making sure she knew that was completely off trend and that she should reconsider. Thankfully, she remained steadfast and retained all of the walls. Beyond simply giving us a different look to a house than we usually get, it was just nice to see someone stick to their own preferences and not bow to the stupid notion that you must be able to see guests while cooking. I think she even said that if they wanted to talk to her while she cooked, they could come into the kitchen and do so.

• Love 16
On 9/2/2018 at 3:07 PM, Diane M said:

Has there ever been a couple who wanted the same type of house?  I've never seen a couple that agreed on the style, the area, the price.  Maybe House Hunters tells them what they can and can't agree on.  

On 9/2/2018 at 4:34 PM, Kohola3 said:

I think that's a lot of it.  Is it possible that long wed couples have such radically different wants?  I suppos3.  But I think most of this comes from the How to Fake Reality Handbook - they each get to pick two wildly disparate passions from a list for each category.  They are not allowed to chose the same one in any category.

• Category A - Style: craftsman, mid-century modern, one-story, two story, farmhouse, condo, bedrooms all on one floor, open concept
  • Category B - Amenities:  pool, exercise room, man cave, she shed, privacy, turn key, "walkability", garage
  • Category C - Location:  close to work, close to transportation, no neighbors, acreage, near family
  • Category D - Budget:  must be on budget, can go over budget (easy one)

Discussed previously on these forums so everyone prob knows HH is semi-scripted. 

Love your list, Kohola3, but that's not exactly the way they film HH, according to various participants.  First, before filming, the RE agent selects the two decoy homes, given the home already purchased by the buyers.  (Unless and until escrow closes, they don't initiate filming.)

Next, by comparing the decoys to the buyers' purchase, the producers select the buyers' wants and needs, for purposes of the drama.  For example, if one spouse "wants" a pool, viewers can be fairly certain at least 1, but not 3, of the homes has a pool!  Sure, if the buyers' actual, real-life wants and needs work with the producers' script, they'll use them.

Usually, however, the differences between the 3 homes drive the storyline, i.e. not their real life wants and needs.  They do vary the plots - your list might be helpful for that purpose, Kohola3

Can't have drama w/o conflict, so yes, Diane M, for HH purposes, the spouses don't typically agree. It's not allowed, lol!

Edited by aguabella

I didn't see a forum for Island Life, so I will vent here.

These beach/ Island/exotic destination shows always include scenes of local attractions.  Yes,  I know the shows are entertainment, not documentary - but why the total disregard for reality?   

A recent episode about house-hunting on Fidalgo Island (Washington state) featured the family frolicking at Bow Hill Blueberry farm (on the mainland 20 miles away), climbing trees (on Whidbey Island), and hiking a trail (on Orcas Island).  

Grr.

• Love 3

The, "There isn't a lot of room for entertaining" gripe has been brought up many times in this thread before, but watching a rerun last night, I heard someone say that about a 2,000 sq ft house.  Are they going to invite a stadium full of people over?  WTF?

Edited by Sweet Summer Child
  • Love 7

I'm waiting for one of the must have total open concepts fools to renovate some historic two story, and the second they tear down the wall they know isn't weight bearing, and the second everyone clears the front door, the house caves in.      I'm sure it's happened, but they don't show it.   

• Love 11

I hear you,  I don't know why I watch the flipper shows when I know that every single one will do exactly the same things - open concept, intricate backsplash in the kitchen, double sinks in the master bath with some cool variation that involves anything but using sinks and taps in anyway most of us would recognize,,,,  With regard to that last point a bunch of flipper shows I saw this weekend did this and I have to say that they kept saying how they needed to change up things because the house looked "so 90s".  Well what do they think people are going to be saying about your glass bowls and gold spigots in a few years?  I can guarantee it's not going to be "Ah so classic".

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

I hear you,  I don't know why I watch the flipper shows when I know that every single one will do exactly the same things - open concept, intricate backsplash in the kitchen, double sinks in the master bath with some cool variation that involves anything but using sinks and taps in anyway most of us would recognize,,,,  With regard to that last point a bunch of flipper shows I saw this weekend did this and I have to say that they kept saying how they needed to change up things because the house looked "so 90s".  Well what do they think people are going to be saying about your glass bowls and gold spigots in a few years?  I can guarantee it's not going to be "Ah so classic".

I agree. Trends change. See: sliding barn doors. Those are ugly to me even now  

And when did rose gold become a thing? I’ve been seeing it used in a few house flipping shows. I don’t know. It looks cheap to me. 

• Love 2

Rose gold?  That must be what I was seeing too.  I thought it looked really cheap as well - and to me, very dated although I'm not sure from when!  At any rate they didn't look modern and trendy to me at all but since I kept seeing it I guess it actually is.  

• Love 3

I can't stand the flip or reno shows that use either rose gold, or the brass.   I just don't like the look, and think it looks cheap.    Also, I've noticed they'll mix the brass or gold with other colors of faucets and bathroom fixtures and that looks terrible to me.  

I had a friend who bought the former model home from the first owners, and every fixture was real brass, and every bit of it tarnished.     Fortunately they got a great price for the house, because they eventually had to replace every faucet, cabinet hardware, door hardware, and the shower stall because the tarnish was disgusting.     So when I see the more expensive, trendy brass or gold, I know that it's not going to be the in things for long, and it will always remind me of my friend's house. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

HA! White kitchens and gray walls are on the way out! I knew it would happen.

So everything built in the last couple of years will now be pronounced "dated" and in need of a "gut job".  Pretty soon the walls will start going up.

• Love 7

As to fixture colors, I saw once, on I Want That, that Kohler (I think) had fixtures that could be easily be replaced with different ones, as styles change.
My apartment has brushed nickel, but most of my life I've had chrome.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, auntjess said:

As to fixture colors, I saw once, on I Want That, that Kohler (I think) had fixtures that could be easily be replaced with different ones, as styles change.
My apartment has brushed nickel, but most of my life I've had chrome.

I loved brush nickel—it’s very classy looking.  Or maybe I’m just following the latest trend. 

• Love 1

I just selected faucets, shower head, and accessories for my master bath remodel in stainless steel finish to replace all the 1987 brass. Can't wait for the work to start! All the tile will be a neural ivory and the walls pale blue.

• Love 5

I don't understand why everyone needs a separate room for every one of their hobbies:

Dave wants a room for his extensive geode collection, while Amanda wants a room for knitting dolls out of badger fur.

So bizarre.  Where do they find these people?

Edited by Sweet Summer Child
  • Love 9

What I love are when the go to a house with a room that has clearly been set up as the chosen hobby room already and they say "wow I can have my sewing room!"  Because you know setting up a table and a few shelves in a bedroom would never occur to most people otherwise!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

I don't understand why everyone needs a separate room for every one of their hobbies:

Dave wants a room for his extensive geode collection, while Amanda wants a room for knitting dolls out of badger fur.

So bizarre.  Where do they find these people?

And don’t forget the turtle lady! Turtles need their own room

• Love 4