Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: The Holy Trinity and Beyond

DH and I used to do our own painting many years ago when we were young marrieds. Now we hire it out and I'm looking forward to getting a good painter to do my powder room. It's tiny, which is one reason we won't be doing it ourselves--too cramped for both of us to be in there. DH insists that I "help." sigh.

• Love 1

Okay....is it just me, but, would anyone else turn down a perfect house, meaning right location, right price point, right square footage, updated appliances, updated bathrooms, lots of light, hardwood floors, lovely views, outdoor area, garage, GRANITE counter tops, etc.  due to their furniture not fitting?  lol  I'm so tired of that.  I mean, I don't know how much they paid for the sofa or dresser, but, what about scraping it, so you can have a really great house and buy a new bed or sofa? I mean, you let a $2000. item determine if you are going to buy a $300,000. item.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 15

If my grandma had crawled out of her death bed to hand carve me a dining room table, maybe I'd be tempted to say a dining room that accommodates it is a necessity but, otherwise, no - I'd just buy new furniture that fits the new house.  People have to sell their pool tables all the time because their new house doesn't have a room in which it will work, and that's getting rid of something full stop rather than just replacing it with a different-sized version.

Oh, wait, I actually do have an example that doesn't require unique pieces of furniture and dying grandmothers; if I was married/cohabitating (which I wouldn't be, but go with me here) and we were looking at a place that didn't have a bedroom that would accommodate a king-size bed, I would say, "Well, we can get the house if we take separate bedrooms."  Because no way in hell am I sharing a queen size bed with another human being on a nightly basis.

• Love 4

Eh, I can understand wanting a house that accommodates a large piece of furniture you already own.  My husband is over six feet tall with a bad back, so we got a king size bed so he could be more comfortable.  We need a bedroom that will have enough space for the bed, because we just bought the thing, and we're still paying it off.  We're not expecting a huge master bedroom, but enough space to walk around with the bed in place would be nice.  I agree that some of the house hunters can be ridiculous when it comes to this sort of thing, but I get it.  Maybe it's just one our quirks.

• Love 2

Point taken on a king bed,. but, I think that the house hunters are talking mostly about their bedroom suits that won't fit.  I can see how in a lot of markets within a certain price range, a master bedroom that is large enough for a king and furniture might be a tight squeeze.  I think that's why a lot of people now put their clothes in the closet.  I don't see many dressers and chest of drawers in the bedroom, like you did years ago. 

I've never had a king bed before.  lol  Is that odd?  I always thought a queen was okay, but, I've recently been considering getting one, because, I'm renovating my house and that master bedroom will accommodate one.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

Read an article in today's paper about people underestimating how long they have to get out of their home if it is on fire.  It's now down to 3 minutes.  Why?  Because of all the open concept homes, fire spreads much faster now.

Next we'll find out the stainless steel appliances are outgassing something.

• Love 4

I can see if I had, and played, a grand piano, I'd have to have space for it, but not for much else.
And I recently rewatched a Mike Holmes, with a couple who said they'd bought their house because if had room for their furniture, which they loved.
And we cut to the most god-awful, garish, dining room set.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've never had a king bed before.  lol  Is that odd?  I always thought a queen was okay, but, I've recently been considering getting one, because, I'm renovating my house and that master bedroom will accommodate one.  

You won't be sorry! We got a king size bed 30 years ago when we finally had a bedroom large enough for it and I love it. No more snoring right into my ears. LOL!!

• Love 5
On 12/1/2017 at 9:31 AM, AuntiePam said:

A relative helped my son paint a room in son's new house.  Relative (think "drunk uncle") insisted that he was an expert -- "you don't need to tape -- I've painted hundreds of rooms, I know what I'm doing".  Son taped everything and then followed drunk uncle around the room, smoothing out the drips, and wiping up the spills on the tarp after uncle overloaded the paint roller.  "It's only dripping on the tarp!"  Yeah, which is being walked on, transferring paint to carpet. 

Sounds like a party!  Perhaps next time, Son could do the painting, allowing relative to just drink a beer and hang out!  Probably faster, too, lol.

Guess he'll definitely need to switch out that carpet to h/w floors, now.

• Love 1
On 12/4/2017 at 6:47 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Okay....is it just me, but, would anyone else turn down a perfect house, meaning right location, right price point, right square footage, updated appliances, updated bathrooms, lots of light, hardwood floors, lovely views, outdoor area, garage, GRANITE counter tops, etc.  due to their furniture not fitting?  lol  I'm so tired of that.  I mean, I don't know how much they paid for the sofa or dresser, but, what about scraping it, so you can have a really great house and buy a new bed or sofa? I mean, you let a $2000. item determine if you are going to buy a $300,000. item.   

You're correct Sunny, it doesn't normally happen in the real world.  If someone falls in live with your house, they don't let a sofa stop them!

In "reality" tv world, however, when they're rotating storylines, then ...

• Love 3
10 hours ago, aguabella said:

You're correct Sunny, it doesn't normally happen in the real world.  If someone falls in live with your house, they don't let a sofa stop them!

In "reality" tv world, however, when they're rotating storylines, then ...

Yeah, I'm really tired of hearing that narrator talk about how the wife wants a colonial, but, husband is set on a ranch.  I mean.....how many of those do we have to endure? lol Oh, and how one is intent on keeping to the budget, but the other says they can go higher if necessary.  When the writers meet, I just wonder how they keep telling themselves that viewers find this stuff amusing. lol 

• Love 5

Can someone tell me if HGTV is a majority shareholder in a Shaker Cabinet company?  I have nothing against them, but it is crazy to me on HH renovations everyone wants them in their kitchen.

• Love 3

Still watching reruns on YouTube.  One major pet peeve involved a quirky, hipster couple from Georgia, where the wife wanted a home with a "cool girl design", whatever that means.  She claimed to be an artistic person, then complained that  a basic, ranch style house that wasn't her taste was a "blank canvas", like it was a big negative.  I thought you just said you were artistic and quirky, and shit?  Why exactly would a "blank canvas" be a negative?  YOU PAINT ON A BLANK CANVAS, LIKE AN AR-TEEST.  *headdesk*

I think what bothers me about all these young, hipster wives is that they have a complete lack of imagination.  They seem unable to wrap their heads around the fact that they can put their own style and character into a house, and that it doesn't need to come ready-made, for them.  It's all so affected and lame.

Oh, AND their was a woman who wasn't too bad, all around, but she kept talking about wanting a "diva den".  She must have said it, like, fifty times.  GRRR, IT WAS SO ANNOYING.

• Love 7

Regarding crown molding, my uncle did it in the dining and living room.  He’s lazy and generally half asses all home repairs, so I was shocked when it turned out perfectly.

my new pet peeve is considering what the dog will like.  Now, I can see having a yard a dog can scamper around in, but that dog has not two shits to give about the interior.  Neither does the cat.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Regarding crown molding, my uncle did it in the dining and living room.  He’s lazy and generally half asses all home repairs, so I was shocked when it turned out perfectly.

my new pet peeve is considering what the dog will like.  Now, I can see having a yard a dog can scamper around in, but that dog has not two shits to give about the interior.  Neither does the cat.

I think that's their attempt to be cute, but it doesn't work.  "Will Oscar like this living room?".  UUUGGGHHH.

• Love 2
On December 10, 2017 at 7:02 PM, qtpye said:

Can someone tell me if HGTV is a majority shareholder in a Shaker Cabinet company?  I have nothing against them, but it is crazy to me on HH renovations everyone wants them in their kitchen.

I have noticed it too, to the point that they will remove perfectly fine cabinets and replace them with Shaker-style. Must be a new trend?   It  gives  me some comfort though, since we have a Shaker-style dining room set and end tables!

• Love 1
On 12/7/2017 at 4:37 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I'm really tired of hearing that narrator talk about how the wife wants a colonial, but, husband is set on a ranch.  I mean.....how many of those do we have to endure? lol Oh, and how one is intent on keeping to the budget, but the other says they can go higher if necessary.  When the writers meet, I just wonder how they keep telling themselves that viewers find this stuff amusing. lol 

Writers?  Who?  Where?  Sorry, SunnyBeBe but HH definitely doesn't employ writers.  (It's one of the reasons we constantly hear the same phrases.)

The director/producer reviews the houses confirmed  by the realtor, selects the plot, storyboards the episode / roughly outlines it and explains the process to the participants.  If necessary, as filming occurs, they'll suggest add'l dialog to participants, on the fly.

Reality television is low, low budget.  They've succeeded thus far w/o writers so unless ratings collapse (unlikely), they won't change a thing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, aguabella said:

Sorry, SunnyBeBe but HH definitely doesn't employ writers.  (It's one of the reasons we constantly hear the same phrases.)

The director/producer reviews the houses confirmed  by the realtor, selects the plot, storyboards the episode / roughly outlines it and explains the process to the participants.  If necessary, as filming occurs, they'll suggest dialog to participants, on the fly.

That's not accurate, there are in fact writers. You can look them up on IMDB. They don't write specific dialogue necessarily  but create "the story" of the show. Two of them were on a podcast a few years ago.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

That's not accurate, there are in fact writers. You can look them upmon IMDB. They don't wrire specific dialogue but create "the story" of the show. Two of them were on a podcast a few years ago.

I was told that was many moons ago and that they wrote general outlines that are now recycled, ad nauseum, by each episode's producer/directors.  If you can point me to that information, I'll check it out to confirm if something's changed.

Would you or anyone you know admit to "writing" HH?  (lol)

Good for them if they scored a writing credit and/or residuals for each of the thousands of HH episodes!

ETA:  Another issue:  sometimes they're referring to the story editor(s) as "writers".  This troubles writers' unions b/c the story editor in post is often "writing" each episode thru the editing process and sometimes dialog for the narrator, too.  They have a ton of material to work with b/c HH schedules 40 hours filming and frequently exceeds that.  (I've always believed that they have the most power / control over HH episodes.)  But writing dialog for participants - uh, doubtful.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That's not accurate, there are in fact writers. You can look them up on IMDB. They don't write specific dialogue necessarily  but create "the story" of the show. Two of them were on a podcast a few years ago.

??? Producer/director is also the writer.  The storyboard or outline contains an episode's plot or story as follows:

Pursuant to your instruction, briefly reviewed the HH IMDB.  The individuals listed as "writer" are, not so coincidentally, also listed as "director" or "producer" for the given episode.  (BTW, not that many episodes out of the many HH episodes listed a "writer".)  I checked several and that was true 100% of the time.

Wouldn't surprise me if they added a "writer" title b/c of the aforementioned writers' union issues.

So, as initially mentioned, it's the same person.  BTW, I never claimed they wrote "specific dialogue".  You indicate they "create the story".  That's either a "storyboard" or "outline", i.e. my terms for your "the story".  So, again, it's the same thing.

If you were referring to the infamous "Writer's Room" podcast - uh, that was a spoof, i.e. a joke.  Making fun of themselves in that way sounds like absolute confirmation that they don't employ writers.  Otherwise, please forward the name of the podcast.

The director/producers might want to think before adding HH writer to their many titles.  City v. suburbs, ranch v. 2-story and craftsman v. colonial to name a few oft-repeated phrases.  Couldn't anyor all of us do better?

Edited by aguabella
36 minutes ago, aguabella said:

you were referring to the infamous "Writer's Room" podcast - uh, that was a spoof, i.e. a joke.  Making fun of themselves in that way sounds like absolute confirmation that they don't employ writers.  Otherwise, please forward the name of the podcast.

That wasn't a podcast that was a joke video and so that is not what I am referring to, they get writers credits and they are writers.

43 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

That wasn't a podcast that was a joke video and so that is not what I am referring to, they get writers credits and they are writers.

As reproduced below, emphasis added, I said "If you were referring to the ..."  Truncating the "If" changes the meaning. 

So, you weren't referring to it.  No big deal.  (Adding the "If", I didn't say you were.)  

Does it really matter if it's a "joke video" instead of a "podcast".  Personally, I think not. 

Why not simply direct me to he online recording (of any type) you were referring to?

Also, who is "they" who gets "writers credits"?  As indicated previously, the IMDB references I located indicate they're also the producers and/or directors for those same episodes, i.e. the individuals who outline or storyboard them.  Did you mean to indicate that qualifies them as "writers"? 

Or, were you referring to someone else?  Another "they"?

1 hour ago, aguabella said:

If you were referring to the infamous "Writer's Room" podcast - uh, that was a spoof, i.e. a joke.  Making fun of themselves in that way sounds like absolute confirmation that they don't employ writers.  Otherwise, please forward the name of the podcast.

On 12/17/2017 at 8:26 PM, biakbiak said:

Which podcast? Now I’m really interested

23 hours ago, topanga said:

Which podcast? Now I’m really interested

To date, topanga, I reviewed a few episodes and verified that the same individuals given IMDB writers' credits for specific episodes served as director/producer on those same episodes.  (Although I didn't check the numbers, It appeared that only a handful / small percentage out of the thousands of HH episodes listed writers' credits on IMDB.)  Therefore, so far, I believe the information I provided to SunnyBeBe, i.e. that, in general, one individual both storyboards / outlines the episode and then directs / produces it, was accurate. 

If the situation has changed and/or I was given incorrect information (either from participants or previous published articles and/or electronic content) concerning episode production, I'd appreciate learning that so I'm aware, going forward.

ETA:  topanga, sorry to blather on if you were only interested in seeing the podcast instead of answering the original question re:  writers.  Incidentally, I did a quick search but didn't notice a new (new to me, that is) podcast, interview, article, etc.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1
On 12/20/2017 at 6:07 PM, aguabella said:

ETA:  topanga, sorry to blather on if you were only interested in seeing the podcast instead of answering the original question re:  writers.  Incidentally, I did a quick search but didn't notice a new (new to me, that is) podcast, interview, article, etc.

I welcome the information. Thanks!

I never realized this bothered me, but I listened to a HH today constantly say, “I’m loving this kitchen,” closet, bathroom, etc. I don’t know why, but it really bugged me. Just say that you love it, dammit! Why are you turning every action verb into a gerund!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, topanga said:

I never realized this bothered me, but I listened to a HH today constantly say, “I’m loving this kitchen,” closet, bathroom, etc. I don’t know why, but it really bugged me. Just say that you love it, dammit! Why are you turning every action verb into a gerund!

That's always bothered me as well. They sound so stupid and uneducated by saying, “I’m loving (whatever)" instead of simply stating "I love it." Maybe they've been watching too many McDonald's commercials.

• Love 3

When did it become a cardinal sin to have a bathroom without a dual vanity?  These people make it seem like they CANNOT possibly live in a house without dual sinks in the bathroom.  

I'm not sure how I feel about gold coming back into style in house fixtures.  It's not that I hate it, but, people are so fickle......it might be a good thing to have to replace only after being in trend for a little while. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

When did it become a cardinal sin to have a bathroom without a dual vanity?

When it became All About Me.  There is no compromise, no time management.  I want what I want when I want it and woe betide anyone who gets in my way.

I grew up in a house of 4 with one bathroom.  You got in, you got out, you were respectful of the needs of others and you planned around arrivals and departures.  It was too small to share so you made do.  It's not rocket science.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

When did it become a cardinal sin to have a bathroom without a dual vanity? 

It's a head scratcher. I can understand wanting a large vanity for storage, but having two sinks just means there's one more sink to clean. That's a downside in my book.

• Love 2

I had a master with 2 sinks and there were many times we used them at the same time. Not a deal breaker, but a nice to have. My goodness I miss that house - 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, bonus over the garage. Master had room for a sitting room, master walk-in closet, bathroom had a water closet, whirlpool tub, walk-in shower, lots of storage space under the two sinks, attached 2 car garage on 1/2 acre. But that was suburban Atlanta in 1992 - location, location, location.

• Love 2

Both of our bathrooms have two sinks in the vanities. DH uses one bathroom and I use the other.

We also have the 'gotta-have-it' soaking tub, which I've used twice in the thirty years we've lived here. When we bought the house I thought the tub was nice to have, but it takes too long to fill and the water cools off too fast to really 'soak' in it. We're shower people so the tub just sits there looking sad and 'dated.'

On 1/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, CruiseDiva said:

We also have the 'gotta-have-it' soaking tub, which I've used twice in the thirty years we've lived here. When we bought the house I thought the tub was nice to have, but it takes too long to fill and the water cools off too fast to really 'soak' in it. We're shower people so the tub just sits there looking sad and 'dated.'

You can get one of those over-the-tub drying racks and hang your delicates to dry on it. At least that way the tub gets some use. :)

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2
On 1/21/2018 at 10:31 PM, chessiegal said:

I had a master with 2 sinks and there were many times we used them at the same time. Not a deal breaker, but a nice to have.

That's my take on them as well.  We've had a house with them and houses without and it's not something I'd seek out but would be happy to get in the next place.  The house buying and flipping shows though would have you believe they are as essential as stainless steel appliances.  Your house won't sell -will NOT sell- without them.  Somehow I really doubt that!

• Love 2
On 1/19/2018 at 6:57 AM, topanga said:

I welcome the information. Thanks!

Thanks, topanga!  Not trying to put everyone to sleep with my posts, lol!

About the gerunds and other phraseology, participants tell me that they're responding to off-camera, crew questions.  They're asked questions purposely constructed / fashioned to elicit information in a more descriptive, enthusiastic manner.  And definitely trained / reminded to avoid "yes" and "no" answers.  (Those wouldn't provide much info to viewers after editing, lol!)

Don't you just love h/w floors? ...  I do love xyz ...

Double sinks, double sinks ...

Reality tv reno shows love the visual of the 2 homeowners, fighting for space, in the oversized, dream master bath.  How many people actually use them simultaneously?  Not many, if my f&f answered a poll.  That said, most buyers do prefer them b/c they want their own space - even if it's just the sink area plus a drawer.

Moreover, builders have incredible market research so they know what sells:  double sinks, double sinks, double ...  Sure, a few people don't care for them but it's a minority.  For this reason, new homes will continue to include them. 

If I'm doing a house and have the plumbing and space plus a little extra $$$, I'll add them every time in at least the master and typically the kids' bath, too.

• Love 1

I wonder how many writers HH and HHI have because I am starting to hear every other homeowner(mostly the men) say, "Now that is what I mean......"! There cannot be that many people who say that spontaneously upon entering a room! I have been noticing this statement more and more(and it is driving me crazy more and more!)

• Love 2
19 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I wonder how many writers HH and HHI have because I am starting to hear every other homeowner(mostly the men) say, "Now that is what I mean......"! There cannot be that many people who say that spontaneously upon entering a room! I have been noticing this statement more and more(and it is driving me crazy more and more!)

Depends what you define as "writing", lol.  That issue was kicked around recently on this thread, IIRC.  My understanding is none, in the traditional sense.  And, it's been a huge reality television issue b/c of the writers' guild / union, again, in my understanding.

If I'm directing a HH show and say to you, Joe Participant / Actor, "What did you mean?" in order to elicit that response, did I just "write" the episode?  Or, if, in post-production, I'm acting as the story editor and select Joe P.'s lines, including each time he uttered that phrase, did I just "write" the episode?

Edited by aguabella
1 hour ago, Scout Finch said:

I don't understand the love for white subway tile. It just looks so institutional and makes me think of old hospitals and asylums.

Lord, yes. It lines the underground tunnels between our 80 year old hospitals.  Creepy.

People love it because they are told to by designers whose mantras are shown on every building/remodeling/flipping program.  We're not fit to live without hardwood floors, subway tile, SS appliances, granite counter tops, and open concept floor plans.  Sheep following the latest trends. 

• Love 5

The new idiocy is a recent one where the husband complains that the dual sinks were next to each other on the same vanity. He wanted it totally separated so that his wife doesn't encroach on his space.

Why do these people bother with the song and dance? Just go see a divorce lawyer now.

ETA: I think the "writing" staff are involved in drafting the dialog that gets narrated during the episodes.

Edited by Tony
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Tony said:

The new idiocy is a recent one where the husband complains that the dual sinks were next to each other on the same vanity. He wanted it totally separated so that his wife doesn't encroach on his space.

Why do these people bother with the song and dance? Just go see a divorce lawyer now.

ETA: I think the "writing" staff are involved in drafting the dialog that gets narrated during the episodes.

Still looking for the mythical (to date) writing staff.  My understanding is the director/producer semi-scripts the episode, as they go.  They've done so many epis that the phraseology must roll off their tongues, in their sleep, lol.  And the story editor (post-production) gets the final pass, taking 40+ hours down to 22 minutes.

9 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

I don't understand the love for white subway tile. It just looks so institutional and makes me think of old hospitals and asylums.

When I was a kid, that's what everyone had, and the old people then, like my great aunt, had the octagonal black & white tiles, which still reminds me of the smell of original Lifebuoy soap.
I loved my grey & white bathroom, and my pink & grey one.  The yellow & brown one, not so much.

5 hours ago, Tony said:

The new idiocy is a recent one where the husband complains that the dual sinks were next to each other on the same vanity.

I can see this, especially if there's height disparity.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

One of my favorite episodes was a couple buying in Brooklyn and she said "What do I need subway tile at home for when I take the subway every day?"

• Love 8

Kohola, I think Aunt Jess meant if one person was taller than the other, 2 sinks side by side in the same countertop don't work as well as separate sinks where one is higher than the other.  Until recently, bathroom vanities were lower than most of the ones that are installed now in new builds and remodels.  When I remodeled my bathroom about 5 years ago, I had the vanity cabinet height increased by about 8".  I am short (5'4"), but was thinking about future resell to taller people.  I was very glad I had increased the height when a couple of years ago, I developed a serious back problem, and bending over a low sink would have been more painful.  If the bathroom is large enough, I like the idea of separate sinks.  Unfortunately, many older bathrooms don't provide space enough for that.     

• Love 3