Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: The Holy Trinity and Beyond

I have a single sink in the house (and what I guess is high end Formica countertops because they wear well), and I do mostly rinsing in the sink. I hand wash my expensive cookware and cutlery - everything else goes in the dishwasher, I have a double sink, Corian counters, no dishwasher, on our sailboat. Everything there is washed by hand, so I appreciate a wash sink and rinse sink. Confession - sometimes I rinse the dirty dishes and bring them home for the dishwasher.

• Love 2

I recently had granite counter tops installed. Please don't shoot me!! The house is 30 years old and the builder-installed  Formica almond colored counter tops were really worn. I loved my matching cast iron double sink with porcelain finish--I took good care of it and it was still like new but simply couldn't be re-used. Instead, I had a double basin granite-composite under-mount sink installed that matches the light beige part of the granite counter top, which also has brown and black swirls with ivory gold flecks. The German-made sink is really deep and with my high arched faucet it's great for filling tall pots.

21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Confession - sometimes I rinse the dirty dishes and bring them home for the dishwasher.

Good on you! I'd do that as well.

Edited by CruiseDiva
  • Love 3

I love our double sink.  I can toss dirty dishes on one side, and set up the colander on the other for when I'm making pasta!  I also use one side for soaking, and one for washing (I have one of those wand sponges that holds the soap in the handle, so I just sponge them off and then run the water over to rinse).  We do also use a dishwasher, but some stuff needs to be hand washed.

15 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I recently had granite counter tops installed. Please don't shoot me!!

Nothing against putting them in, it's the "I NEED them, or it's a dealbreaker/total gut job in the kitchen!" drama, haha.  Enjoy your new countertops! :)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

Nothing against putting them in, it's the "I NEED them, or it's a dealbreaker/total gut job in the kitchen!" drama, haha.  Enjoy your new countertops! :)

This is EXACTLY it. It's the choosing a home based on preferred counters or cabinet colors. Seriously bugs. 

• Love 3

I am so tired of HH asking for "vintage" or older homes to look at and then being aghast at them not being open concept or not having a bathroom with the master bedroom.  I was so glad that the other day that the real estate agent showing the couple one of these houses told them that it was highly unlikely that an older home would feature either one of these as they weren't even thought of when those older homes were being built.  Don't people try to educate themselves a bit before they go house hunting?? Apparently  not.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, abbey said:

Don't people try to educate themselves a bit before they go house hunting??

No, they just listen to what is preached to them as a "must have" by designers and builders.  Then they hear something about the latest craze like "mid-century modern" and want to marry the two.

I grew up in a house build in 1950. Galley kitchen, no ensuite anything, no open concept, no walk in closets. That's the reality.  You want something different you are in for a remodel or build from scratch with old-looking exterior and a modern interior.  You can't have it both ways.

• Love 4

Our last house was built in 1949 - a raised ranch. It had the original floor plan that included an attached 3/4 bath to the master, hall bath, 2 more bedrooms, one of which had an attached half bath. We joked at our age it was nice to have 3 toilets on the main floor.

• Love 4

The younger buyers want the outside to look vintage, but the inside to have an open concept.  They want someone else to have done all the work and spent all the $$ on renovation, but they want a low price for someone else's work and sweat equity.  They have watched way too much HGTV and other shows about home styles.  It's the instant gratification, entitled attitude of wanting to move into what they consider the perfect house and never lifting a finger to do anything to it.  I guess when paint needs redoing, they will sell it and move on to something else.  I also want to say - while I'm on my soapbox - that those vintage Craftsman/Victorian/whatever style houses they love so much, very often have an all wood exterior that will cost a lot of $$ to have repainted every 5-7 years. 

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, abbey said:

I am so tired of HH asking for "vintage" or older homes to look at and then being aghast at them not being open concept or not having a bathroom with the master bedroom. 

When my folks got a house in 1964, it was their first master bath, and was small, and had a walk-in shower.  Now, people think the master bath (or en suite), should be the largest and most luxurious one. 

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 6
On 10/22/2017 at 7:13 PM, doodlebug said:

Also, how many couples out there have diametrically opposed POV as to what sort of house they want?  He wants mid-century modern, she wants a colonial.  She wants open concept, he wants defined rooms.  She wants a condo or townhouse, he wants a big yard.  In real life, I suspect most people manage to hash out this stuff well before they start looking for a house.  The manufactured 'drama' ceases to be dramatic when we get the same story episode. after. episode.

It is especially hilarious when they go to a house and are like "Oh, it has my craftsman details!" But it doesn't. It isn't a craftsman, having a couple of porch pillars does not a craftsman make. It is usually a Minimal Traditional. Aka--no real style. The majority of modern houses fall into this category. Just because there are shutters around the window doesn't make it a colonial. Having a dormer doesn't give you a cape cod. Etc. It isn't like the producers don't know what houses the couple will be going to see--feed them the right words so they don't look more moronic than they already do. Instead of pushing a specific style that they must have, they can talk about not liking lots of rooflines because of the possibility of leaks while the other member of the couple ignores that because it looks stately. Or they could even have them say "I prefer a house with a distinct style. I grew up in a minimal traditional and it was nice but I prefer something recognizable as a contemporary or victorian" or whatever. (which was actually one of my requirements when house hunting. I wanted a house that looked like something--didn't care if that something was a tudor, contemporary, geodesic dome, A-frame, etc. It just had to be something. I ended up with a classic colonial which are a dime a dozen around here but still, you look at it and know what it is.)

I laugh so hard at the couples who look for vintage and then bitch about the closed off kitchen or small closets. If they wanted to make themselves sound like they had no clue, they succeeded admirably.

Regarding the open concept, it is hard to know if people really want it or they want it because they were told to want it. My kitchen is connected to the family room only by a doorway. I could remove most/part of the wall between them since it isn't load bearing and there is still a formal dining room and living room that have some separation (it is also down the hall from the front door so kitchen is not visible upon arrival thank god) but I haven't decided to do it yet. Waiting to see if the trend dies before I sell my house. Maybe the "opening with shutters" that you saw on all the sitcoms will come back...or maybe Alf only had that to hide the puppeteer.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, MaKaM said:

Regarding the open concept, it is hard to know if people really want it or they want it because they were told to want it.

House hunters are all told to want the same things which is whatever follows today's trends.  Soon all of that (subway tiles, stainless steel appliances, etc.) will be considered a "gut job" and something else will move into the "must have" spot.  Granite is already losing out to quartz so bye-bye granite.  People just don't seem to have any concept of the difference between "must have" and "want".  Two different things and a lot of it is pushed by designers.

Just try and throw common sense in there and it's a hot mess.  Houses built in the 1950's don't have open concept, large rooms, ensuites, or walk in closets so quit having the vapors when touring mid-century moderns that don't have that stuff.  It doesn't cost anything to educate yourself on this stuff.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Houses built in the 1950's don't have open concept, large rooms,

Depends on the style and location many mid-century modern homes that feature open floor plans were built in the 50s, I have family and friends who live in them and have the original floor plan.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

Depend on the style and location many mid-century modern homes that feature open floor plans were built in the 50s, I have family and friends who live in them 

Apparently. Absolutely no one in my area had anything of the kind.  That included friends and relatives in a large part of my state.

• Love 1

I never watched her before, I'm watching an old episode of a Julia Childs cooking show, and I was surprised to see that she's cooking on a *gasp* electric stove!  Imagine the horror!  These HHers nowadays swear that they cannot possibly cook on an electric stove, it must be gas.  Plus, her pots and pans did not look that expensive.  She's a hoot with the meat cleaver! 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I never watched her before, I'm watching an old episode of a Julia Childs cooking show, and I was surprised to see that she's cooking on a *gasp* electric stove!  Imagine the horror!  These HHers nowadays swear that they cannot possibly cook on an electric stove, it must be gas.  Plus, her pots and pans did not look that expensive.  She's a hoot with the meat cleaver! 

I'm watching the same show - she was quite the hoot! I'm a confirmed gas range lover, so her being able to turn out good food on an electric range is amazing to me.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

That was because of the studio at the time not her preference and not what she used in real life which was a used restaurant gas stove from the 50s which she used until she donated it in the early 2000s to the Smithsonian. In her later shows when they upgraded the set she had a gas stove. 

57 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I'm watching the same show - she was quite the hoot! I'm a confirmed gas range lover, so her being able to turn out good food on an electric range is amazing to me.

Yeah, I was raised in DC cooking on a gas stove, but I got used to electric when I moved to another location,  it took a couple weeks.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, I was raised in DC cooking on a gas stove, but I got used to electric when I moved to another location,  it took a couple weeks. 

Me too.  When we moved to Maryland, we had electric.
You learned pretty fast that you could still burn things with the burner turned off.
I've had electric since, and it never bothered me, and at one time, I cooked and baked a lot.
I never liked pilot lights, and lighting the broiler.

• Love 2

When I was a little girl one of my classmates was burned very badly when she was standing too close to the stove and her long hair caught fire. I've been afraid of gas ranges ever since.

I love my new Bosch flat electric cook top--no whobbly coils. The best feature is no knobs--it's all push button and can be locked so it's child and cat proof. It's also pretty easy to keep clean.

I think a gas stove is easier to control the change in temperature - i.e. if I need to go from high heat to medium, it changes almost immediately, where an electric stove takes some time.  Although, the electric stove technology has improved so it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be (where I'd change burners or hold my pot or pan above the burner to not let something burn when the temperature drop would take forever).  On the flipside, I think electric stoves maintain a temperature better than gas, but not drastically so.   I have learned to cooked on both, and cook well on both.  It's not that hard.

As for cleaning, in the beginning smooth top electric stoves are easier - fewer parts and nooks and crannies, however with daily use they do develop rings around the burners, and this is a common complaint.  (And I don't mean food rings).  What I do like about cleaning gas stove is removing the burner-grates for cleaning.  Some you can even put in the dishwasher.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

What I do like about cleaning gas stove is removing the burner-grates for cleaning.

Having to clean those is why I'll never have gas again; I cook well on either gas or electric, so it comes down to cleaning for me, and the glass cooktop and its flat surface wins out.

I hardly ever watch this show anymore, so I don't know if it's still a recurring storyline, but I used to see quite a few HHs flail about because a house had an electric rather than a gas stove.  I understand having a preference, and a stove isn't cheap, but in the grand scheme of home buying it is such a minor thing to just run a gas line to the kitchen (because most houses have gas coming into the house, so you just tap in and branch off) and replace the stove.  No need to act as if the stove is a potential deal breaker, especially if the HH in the next breath declares the refrigerator will have to go because it's not stainless steel.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, auntjess said:

Me too.  When we moved to Maryland, we had electric.
You learned pretty fast that you could still burn things with the burner turned off.
I've had electric since, and it never bothered me, and at one time, I cooked and baked a lot.
I never liked pilot lights, and lighting the broiler.

Yeah, I moved to NOVA over 20 years ago and I've cooked on electric ever since.  I'm pretty good at it now. : ) 

I never liked pilot lights either.  Lighting them scared me.      

• Love 3
8 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

As for cleaning, in the beginning smooth top electric stoves are easier - fewer parts and nooks and crannies, however with daily use they do develop rings around the burners, and this is a common complaint.  (And I don't mean food rings).  What I do like about cleaning gas stove is removing the burner-grates for cleaning.  Some you can even put in the dishwasher.

So far so good with my Bosch smooth cook top. I got the special cleaner that they recommend and hope to keep it new looking for a long time. It's black.

8 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Same here - the house I grew up in a gas stove and I think we only had to relight the main pilot light once.  

The other benefit of gas is it still works in a power failure. 

I’ve had a gas stove for more than 30 years and never had to light the pilot.  I seem to recall having to do it a couple times as a kid more than 40 years ago; but not on more recent models.

The condo we bought in 1978 had a gas range and I was constantly re-lighting the pilot. Not sure why it kept going out--maybe because the kitchen had a sliding door that was often open for fresh air and to catch a breeze when there was one.

In our 1987-built home we have gas heat and the original furnace (located in the attic) had a pilot light. When it was replaced we got one with electric ignition. I feel it's so much safer.

The other benefit of gas is it still works in a power failure. 

That's why we always have an extra bottle of propane for our outdoor grill and a generator to run the fridge and a few lights. :)

Edited by CruiseDiva
  • Love 1
On 11/5/2017 at 8:26 PM, biakbiak said:

Depends on the style and location many mid-century modern homes that feature open floor plans were built in the 50s, I have family and friends who live in them and have the original floor plan.

Didn’t Mike and Carol Brady have an “open concept” house?  HH’s today would probably drool over it (if it had granite and stainless).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, irisheyes said:

Didn’t Mike and Carol Brady have an “open concept” house?  HH’s today would probably drool over it (if it had granite and stainless).

Nah, their living/dining rooms were open, but the kitchen was enclosed.  For some reason, it seems modern day house hunters can’t fry an egg without an audience.

• Love 12

Just started watching this show over the weekend, and I am enjoying this forum, immensely.  Anyway, I happen to come from a place with a lot of old, Victorian houses, and one of my pet peeves is when a woman (because it's always a woman, never a man) claims that the Victorian style is what she prefers when she clearly only wants the outside of her house to look Victorian.  She wants her "princess" Victorian house with turrets and stained glass windows and fancy staircases, but everything else must be of modern design/convenience.  Sorry, lady, but old Victorian houses don't come with two-car garages, big, spa bathrooms, or walk-in closets.  Sure, you could renovate the house, if you have the money and the inclination to do so, but then, it wouldn't be a true Victorian.  Stop saying this is your preferred style of house when it clearly isn't.  GAWD, that annoys me, and I've seen three people say this, already.

Another gripe I have is when people say they want a house with "charm", without being familiar with older styles and the history of the architecture they might want.  "Charm" is pretty damn vague, people.  Please be more specific.

ETA: The obsession with crown molding.  It's fine if you like it, but what's with so many people acting like it's an absolute necessity?  I ain't never lived in a house with crown molding.  It's fine.

Edited by Sweet Summer Child
  • Love 11

Crown molding is also, in the grand scheme of home buying and renovation, quite easy to add, so the absence of it shouldn't lead to more than a simple notation on one's pros/cons list.

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, Bastet said:

Crown molding is also, in the grand scheme of home buying and renovation, quite easy to add, so the absence of it shouldn't lead to more than a simple notation on one's pros/cons list.

For me, crown falls under the heading of "easy if/when you know how to do it"!  You've installed it, Bastet?  Touring many homes, it's one of the most botched DIY jobs that I notice.  

I'm blessed to have learned it and own a miter saw but anyone who's struggled with a plastic miter box might not consider it easy.

It certainly appears easy ... deceptively easy, lol! 

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, Kohola3 said:

House hunters are all told to want the same things which is whatever follows today's trends.  Soon all of that (subway tiles, stainless steel appliances, etc.) will be considered a "gut job" and something else will move into the "must have" spot.  Granite is already losing out to quartz so bye-bye granite.  People just don't seem to have any concept of the difference between "must have" and "want".  Two different things and a lot of it is pushed by designers.

Just try and throw common sense in there and it's a hot mess.  Houses built in the 1950's don't have open concept, large rooms, ensuites, or walk in closets so quit having the vapors when touring mid-century moderns that don't have that stuff.  It doesn't cost anything to educate yourself on this stuff.

I certainly agree that the HHers appear to be sheep-le as they recite their semi-scripted lines but personally, I don't believe a cable program, even at this ratings level, influences buyers to any significant degree.  Personally, I don't consider open concept or open plan to be a trend.  Many credit Frank Lloyd Wright for it from the early 20th century but it's my understanding he continued / enhanced the work instigated by a late 19th century designer.  If somethings lasts more than 5 years, it's not a trend - in my book, anyway.

Given its history, I've never equated open concept with mcm.  Sure, some builders / designers used it during those years, e.g. Eichler, in certain pockets or geographical areas, e.g. Palm Springs and NorCal / SoCal.  But I agree, for the most part, mcm homes contained defined, closed spaces.

I believe builders caught on around the 70's or so (estimating, based on my house tours) and built open concept family rooms as a secondary living space, off the kitchen.  It sold!  Naturally, they extended it to include so-called "great" rooms.  Sold, again!  Unless and until it stops selling, they'll continue.  (Looks like current buyers prefer a modified form, e.g. some defined spaces.)

Builders have incredible market research.  If it wasn't selling, they wouldn't continue building it.  Homebuyers spend time in family and friends' new homes so they know what they're getting into.  

BTW, no big deal but I'd say granite has been subsidiary to quartz for at least 5 years.  HGTV is seriously behind the times, according to the new homes and design I've noticed.  Not surprising, b/c they rep the big box stores.  Unless and until something's mainstream, it doesn't hit Lowes / HD and therefore, HGTV. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, aguabella said:

For me, crown falls under the heading of "easy if/when you know how to do it"!

It certainly appears easy ... deceptively easy, lol! 

DH installed some crown molding and chair rails in previous homes. He did a really nice job. A trick to make it look seamless is using spackle or wood filler on the seams as well as the nail holes. 

One of the selling features of our current home was the heavy molding throughout the first floor and judge's paneling in the family room. The foyer and dining room have picture frame molding beneath chair rails. It's always been my wish to have crown molding to complement the vaulted ceiling in the master bedroom, but after 30 years in this house I doubt it's going to happen. LOL!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, aguabella said:

For me, crown falls under the heading of "easy if/when you know how to do it"!  You've installed it, Bastet?

Yes.  My house had it already, original to the late '30s build, but I installed it in the living room and dining room of my condo prior to that (at the same time I added molding to jazz up the boring-as-hell windows).  Everything requires knowing how to do it; even painting would be difficult if one was clueless as to how to go about it.  But there's not much of a learning curve, since one must simply understand miter saws, wood filler, and sanding.  Barring that, it can always be outsourced; in the process of home buying, hiring someone to install crown molding is but a blip on the radar.  Which is the point - whoever does it, it's not a big deal in terms of cost relative to the purchase price, so to act as if the absence of crown molding is a major issue when evaluating a home is ridiculous.

• Love 4

A trick to make it look seamless is using spackle or wood filler on the seams as well as the nail holes. 

More of a necessity than a trick. The work would be considered shabby without caulking and hole filling. Crown molding is pretty simple; it's just not necessarily easy. The mitered angles have resulted in many wrong cuts for DIYers. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, mojito said:

More of a necessity than a trick. The work would be considered shabby without caulking and hole filling. Crown molding is pretty simple; it's just not necessarily easy. The mitered angles have resulted in many wrong cuts for DIYers. 

Definitely, mojito - that's what I was talking about and the type of DIY jobs in many homes.  Caulk, spackle and wood filler - it's all basic finishing in carpentry / woodworking.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

DH installed some crown molding and chair rails in previous homes. He did a really nice job. A trick to make it look seamless is using spackle or wood filler on the seams as well as the nail holes. 

One of the selling features of our current home was the heavy molding throughout the first floor and judge's paneling in the family room. The foyer and dining room have picture frame molding beneath chair rails. It's always been my wish to have crown molding to complement the vaulted ceiling in the master bedroom, but after 30 years in this house I doubt it's going to happen. LOL!

Sounds lovely, CruiseDiva!  Yes, it imparts a nice, finished feeling to a home when done properly.

Gee, couldn't guess why your h retired from crown before getting to that vaulted ceiling, lol!  Have been up on scaffolding, balancing myself with my nail gun a few times, too.  Fun, fun, fun ...

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:26 PM, Bastet said:

Yes.  My house had it already, original to the late '30s build, but I installed it in the living room and dining room of my condo prior to that (at the same time I added molding to jazz up the boring-as-hell windows).  Everything requires knowing how to do it; even painting would be difficult if one was clueless as to how to go about it.  But there's not much of a learning curve, since one must simply understand miter saws, wood filler, and sanding.  Barring that, it can always be outsourced; in the process of home buying, hiring someone to install crown molding is but a blip on the radar.  Which is the point - whoever does it, it's not a big deal in terms of cost relative to the purchase price, so to act as if the absence of crown molding is a major issue when evaluating a home is ridiculous.

Good for you, Bastet!  BTW, I assumed you knew how to do it.  My pet peeve refers to realtors and their "easy fix" line plus botched DIY jobs in listed homes.  (Sorry if that wasn't mentioned.)

Yes, many homeowners possess the basic ability but lack the patience and attention to detail necessary to properly finish the job.

Painting's another underestimated task.  How many people understand that prep requires as much time as the painting itself?

???  Job cost relative to the purchase price?  Sorry, I wasn't responding to that portion of your post.

Agree, the absence of crown when evaluating a home is ridiculous.  I pay little or no attention to the HH wish lists.  If someone's pining (pun unintentional) for crown during an episode, it tells me 1-2 of the homes contain crown!

Sure, you or I wouldn't think twice about either installing or outsourcing crown.  (Many good carpenters reject small jobs, however.)  In my RE world, we often use total investment $$$ as a benchmark, in lieu of the purchase price.  For other homeowners, say those with either VA or FHA financing and 3 or 5% invested on a 200K home (the approx. US average), a $1 - 3K crown job might loom very large.  

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, aguabella said:

Painting's another underestimated task.  How many people understand that prep requires as much time as the painting itself?

A relative helped my son paint a room in son's new house.  Relative (think "drunk uncle") insisted that he was an expert -- "you don't need to tape -- I've painted hundreds of rooms, I know what I'm doing".  Son taped everything and then followed drunk uncle around the room, smoothing out the drips, and wiping up the spills on the tarp after uncle overloaded the paint roller.  "It's only dripping on the tarp!"  Yeah, which is being walked on, transferring paint to carpet. 

• Love 2

Relative (think "drunk uncle") insisted that he was an expert -- "you don't need to tape -- I've painted hundreds of rooms, I know what I'm doing".  

Even sober, you have to have a steady hand to do the cutting. I'm in awe of people who can paint along the molding without touching it. Me, I need miles and miles of tape. And even at that, I have to lay off the mojitos for awhile first. 

Remember Craig Lowe, painter pal of Mike Holmes? Now he was an artist about paint; knew things you didn't know could be known!

• Love 2