Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: The Holy Trinity and Beyond

Maybe it depends on the size of the bathroom.  My main bathroom is quite small.  There are two sinks, but big whoop, because the room is too small for two people anyway.

But if the bathroom is big and has just one sink -- that'd seem like the builder went cheap.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2017-06-29 at 9:19 AM, CherryAmes said:

I notice houses built (guessing here) after about 1980 seem to give the children tiny rooms 9x8 or even smaller in many we've looked at, while the master bedroom takes up half the upstairs.  I didn't get it when we were househunting with kids and I still don't really get it.  But I guess if you are using the spare rooms as spare rooms that's one thing - using them for kids though,  I mean come on, who spends more time in their bedroom?  The average kid/teen or the average parent?  I use my bedroom to sleep in, to change in and once in a very blue moon I might actually sort through paperwork or whatever in there.  That's it.  I don't need a master retreat.  My whole house is my retreat!

This has not been the trend recently where I live. Even the smallest room in a townhouse is 10 x 10 (or 11 x 9). 12 x 12 seems to be the standard secondary bedroom size around here. It might have been the trend through the 90s to make closet sized bedrooms, but new builds around here know that people are not looking for 7 x 8 bedrooms. They are not starter homes though so that might be the difference (no builder puts in starter homes in Northern Virginia with the profit margins on mcmansions).

It is sort of a peeve from the recent episode with the two sisters in Atlanta looking for a place. One of the houses they looked at was a clown house on the outside (bright deep blue paint with red shutters) and then a standard gray + white + blinged out on the inside. I like the inside and the outside to be more in harmony. If I put a paint job like that on the outside, I want the inside to have red cabinets or mexican tiles on the stair treads or something. If I am making the inside a Tarek-and-Christina-special, the outside needs to reflect that. (rules relaxed for victorians and queen annes)

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 4

After tonight's Long Island episode, I'm adding "love" to the list of overused words, along with "amazing, definitely, literally, actually, cookie-cutter, gut job, entertaining", etc.

Just seems odd to "love" ordinary architectural features, like wood floors, crown molding, a fireplace, big windows.  "Like" is adequate.  "Love" seems a bit much.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I've been watching a lot of those flip or flop type shows and the one common theme I keep hearing is "this house won't sell if we don't have two sinks in the bathroom".  Is this a real thing?  I mean I get that having two sinks is something that is a popular thing right now but is it really that much of a dealbreaker that a house won't sell because of it?

This drives me mad esp because it's always the master bath that NEEDS two sinks or it won't sell. Which is total BS! I would much rather have double sinks in the children's bathroom than the master (if there is more than one child.) Kids always get ready at the same time so it makes way more sense - especially when it takes them 30 mins to brush their teeth and wash their faces because of all the horsin' around.  

When they do install them in the master baths, most of the time, it's a smaller bath. So now there are two sinks crammed on a vanity and no counter space. I would rather have one sink and counter space than two sinks with none. 

• Love 4

It bugs me when a woman, and it's always a woman, is touring a house and refers to everything she finds desirable or impressive as "so cute," or worse, "so pretty."

Double closet rods?  "So pretty!"  High end industrial stove?  "So pretty!"  It's only a matter of time before one of these women is be shown a new sewer system and proclaims "So pretty!"

And a pet peeve about real estate agents.  If home buyers say how much they like the "hardwood" floor (or simply "the hardwoods") but the floors are obviously laminate or bamboo or pine, the agent should correct they buyers and  and not let them believe they're walking on hardwood. If the agent doesn't know the difference, they should not be a Realtor.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

If the agent doesn't know the difference, they should not be a Realtor.

And if the customers can't tell the difference it obviously isn't something they simply must have.  It's something they've been told they must have.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

And if the customers can't tell the difference it obviously isn't something they simply must have.  It's something they've been told they must have.

I don't know. Maybe they like the look but just aren't educated about the material. 

2 minutes ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Maybe they like the look but just aren't educated about the material. 

If they like the look and it suits their needs, why harp on hardwood just because they've been told that's the end all and be all?  They are all brainwashed, I swear.

• Love 5
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

If they like the look and it suits their needs, why harp on hardwood just because they've been told that's the end all and be all?  They are all brainwashed, I swear.

That's probably true with laminate vs natural materials, but many people don't know the difference between hardwood, softwood (e.g., pine) and bamboo. I think the Realtor has a duty to educate.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 3
(edited)

What gets me are the ones who insist on hardwood (or anything but carpeting) but then talk about how noisy the house is.  Well yeah, there are negatives to carpeting but if sound is an issue for you it might be a better option than hardwood in every room!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 5

I just watched the HH where they were in Bloomington MN - my hometown!!!  (Go Jaguars!) It was lawyer Kyle and social worker Abby and their one year old son Miles.  (Miles got mentioned.....a lot.) Budget was $260,000.  I can NOT believe for that budget the realtor could only show the houses they saw.  Bloomington is a big city (for MN) and there had to be more on the market.  We could tell that the first two were on the east side of town and the last one (with the pool) was on the west side, I recognized Dwan Golf course.  The wife was REALLY hung up on having three bedrooms on the same level so I knew they were going to pick #2.  

(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, MaKaM said:

It is sort of a peeve from the recent episode with the two sisters in Atlanta looking for a place. One of the houses they looked at was a clown house on the outside (bright deep blue paint with red shutters) and then a standard gray + white + blinged out on the inside. I like the inside and the outside to be more in harmony. If I put a paint job like that on the outside, I want the inside to have red cabinets or mexican tiles on the stair treads or something. If I am making the inside a Tarek-and-Christina-special, the outside needs to reflect that. (rules relaxed for victorians and queen annes)

Don't know for certain but based on my experience I believe sellers do as much as possible to prep their homes but an exterior paint job is very expensive (if contracted out) and time-consuming.  Touring homes for realtor friends in various parts of the country, I frequently notice this type of discord, too.  Often I believe sellers do as much as possible before they must list so the (somewhat) jarring exterior remains.

Although I love your ideas (red cabs, Mexican tiles), I wouldn't suggest anyone who expects to sell within a few years make those changes.  They might be a tad taste specific.  I do suggest to clients that they attempt to alter the exterior by making minor changes, e.g. painting / updating trim or painting out an exterior accent wall or the front, if they can accomplish the job such that it seamlessly blends in with the prior, existing exterior.  (Tough but I've both done it and seen it done.)

Another thought I had about the Atlanta exterior is that it also might work well with a cottage or traditional style.  So, if they could blend it in a bit better for sale, that'd be terrific.  If not, in the meantime, I'd leave any major, expensive, permanent, taste-specific upgrades to the buyers.  

Great ideas, however, MaKaM!

Edited by aguabella

When did the word "sightlines" become a thing? "Oh I love the sightlines in this space"....It drives me crazy! Just say "I can see!". It drives me as crazy as the word "price point"! Oh, space is another pet peeve. It's a room! A ROOM!

ETA: I think I hear sightlines more from the Property Brothers than on HH but I'm sure it's been said on one of the multiple versions of the HH franchise. What are they trying to do with HH? How many versions will there be? House Hunters: Pets 

Edited by msani19
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, auntjess said:

Do NOT forget the turtle lady

Who could ever forget her! She lives on in the annuals of HH history. Wonder if she's gotten more turtles or a podcast about life with turtles. 

• Love 3

Tiny House Nation had an episode where the home owners needed a separate tiny house for their animals. There were a lot of birds in cages, but other pets as well. 

• Love 1

Tiny House Nation had an episode where the home owners needed a separate tiny house for their animals. 

Oh, for Pete's sake.  That's just ridiculous.  Get a little bigger house that fits everyone.  No, wait, then you couldn't have your 15 Minutes of Fame on the teevee.

• Love 7

I can't relate to the "I want a [insert house style] because it's what I grew up in". I grew up in a 2 story farm house built in 1890 and the original home didn't have indoor plumbing, had been added onto over the years, with 1 bathroom with no shower (claw foot tub), and just totally disjointed from all the poorly thought out additions over the years. The kitchen had white metal cabinets and very little counter space and washer and dryer in the kitchen. I longed for a newer house like many of my friends had. On the other hand, it was all my parents could afford and I had a roof over my head and I never went hungry. That said, still don't get the supposed nostalgia the producers seem to be pushing for what they grew up in.

• Love 6

About everyone wanting open concept, they obviously haven't thought out how noisy that can be.  When I'm trying to watch something and my husband is puttering around the kitchen (ok, shaking a martini shaker) I have to pause the tv because it's too loud.  We had a tour of the new house of a couple we know yesterday and the whole kitchen/dining/living area was one big open space.  There were two sitting areas with a tv in each (I guess in case they don't want to watch the same thing).  All I could think was that there would be too much noise between 2 tvs and kitchen puttering for the evening to be relaxing.

• Love 12

Totally agree.  We turned the dinette area of our kitchen into a "family room" by sticking in two easy chairs and a TV instead of a table.  It's been very convenient because my husband had an accident and can't manage stairs right now and the TV had been in the basement.  Anyway I can't run the dishwasher if we want to watch TV.  Hell I can't even use the mixer or reach into a drawer and root around for a fork without him sighing and pausing the TV until I finish making noise.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 5

About everyone wanting open concept, they obviously haven't thought out how noisy that can be.

And how all of the conversation at their innumerable family gatherings and huge parties will be downed out while he/she is getting the meal or snacks finished up for delivery to the open concept eating area.  Or are they all gathered around the massive island shouting over each other while the dirty pots and pans cover the counters.  Give me a kitchen with a door any day.  I want to cook in peace.

• Love 8

Please don't hate me but I'm replacing my very worn 30-year old laminate kitchen countertops with granite in a couple weeks. The sink will also be granite and mounted under the counter top. Also being replaced with a black solid surface cooktop is the 20-something year old 'almond' color cooktop. Granite will also replace a faux marble countertop with a cracked integrated sink in a nearby powder room.

We still have an almond colored fridge in the kitchen, which won't match the other black appliances. We put in a black dishwasher last year to replace the 29-year old almond one that finally died and the built in oven/microwave is also black. Some day we'll have a black fridge to match, but won't ditch a perfectly serviceable fridge simply because it's the wrong color.

• Love 8

I don't hate you :).  For me it's not that there's anything wrong with granite countertops or  stainless steel (or black) appliances it's people sneering at perfectly fine kitchens and acting like it's a "total gut job" if these things aren't there that drive me nuts.  Also, to me even having appliances left behind by the previous owner is a bonus, getting on your high horse and expecting top on the line stuff (especially on the budget minded shows) is just sooooo stupid! 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Please don't hate me but I'm replacing my very worn 30-year old laminate kitchen countertops with granite in a couple weeks. The sink will also be granite and mounted under the counter top. Also being replaced with a black solid surface cooktop is the 20-something year old 'almond' color cooktop. Granite will also replace a faux marble countertop with a cracked integrated sink in a nearby powder room.

We still have an almond colored fridge in the kitchen, which won't match the other black appliances. We put in a black dishwasher last year to replace the 29-year old almond one that finally died and the built in oven/microwave is also black. Some day we'll have a black fridge to match, but won't ditch a perfectly serviceable fridge simply because it's the wrong color.

No we won't hate on you because:

2 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I don't hate you :).  For me it's not that there's anything wrong with granite countertops or  stainless steel (or black) appliances it's people sneering at perfectly fine kitchens and acting like it's a "total gut job" if these things aren't there that drive me nuts.  Also, to me even having appliances left behind by the previous owner is a bonus, getting on your high horse and expecting top on the line stuff (especially on the budget minded shows) is just sooooo stupid! 

You did NOT gut a perfectly nice kitchen for that holier than thou granite!  Plus the countertops were thirty years old, not three years old!

People can have granite, people can have formica.  People should have what they want and what they can afford.  When we re-do our countertops (it is a few years out!) we want maple butcher block.  It is the snotty attitudes that some HH'ers have that is eyeball rolling/inducing.

• Love 7

You did NOT gut a perfectly nice kitchen for that holier than thou granite!  Plus the countertops were thirty years old, not three years old!

And I'm not getting rid of my built-in-place cabinets that are (horrors!) OAK!!! When we bought this house I was thrilled that the kitchen cabinets are oak because my furniture for the adjacent breakfast room area includes an oak dining table, an antique oak ice box, and an antique oak chest.

• Love 5

I hate islands with stools.  There, I said it (ducking behind a cupboard door).  I hate being forced to sit on those high stools that cause my legs to fall asleep thus causing me to look like a falling down drunk when I get off.  If I wanted to eat a diner, I'd go to one.  When a house has dining room or dining nook with a proper table, that's where I want to eat.  Stop forcing me to pretend I'm at Cheers.

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I hate islands with stools.

I don't want to work at an island, I miss my kitchen table, where you could sit down and roll out cookies or ice cakes or dice things.
I want my feet on the ground too.

• Love 3

I watched one of those flip shows the other day and the flipper was so determined to get an island with stools into a very small kitchen that the stools were inches away from the table and chairs that she also insisted had to be in the kitchen.  I could get having an island as workspace but the insistence that it also had to provide an eating or "entertainment" area with a table and chairs right there seemed goofy for such a small space.  House wouldn't sell without both though according to the flipper.

• Love 1

My loft doesn't have room for a table, just a giant bar we all eat/drink at. To be honest, we don't even miss the hassle of having an extra table/chairs---keeps it simple, casual and efficient.

• Love 4

Wow, it has been a while since someone has been here to bitch complain about the strange wants of some of the House Hunters! I just finished watching the couple who were looking for a house in Lucca, Italy. Of course, they had diametrically opposed  wants for a house but what is new with that? Nothing. But my pet peeves comes because of the husband's desire for an open kitchen. He said the third house had a nice kitchen but what if he was cooking, he would be alone since there was not enough room for others to join him! Want to bet that if he was cooking and people came in to talk to him, he would tell them to leave him alone because he is cooking!!! I like to do my cooking in private so I can concentrate on what I am doing. Why do I want people underfoot while I am preparing food. It isn't like I have to stay there the whole time. Lots of times things have to cook so you can join friends and family.

On a different note, I usually laugh when people have to have two sinks in the bathroom because they get in each other's way. I have decided that I wouldn't care about the master bath but I think I would like double sinks in the bathroom that the kids use. They do normally get ready for school at the same time so it would really be helpful.

• Love 5
On Tuesday, June 06, 2017 at 9:18 AM, QuinnM said:

So I was accompanying someone choosing appliances for a big fancy renovation.  I was obligated not to scream in horror at some of the fancy wonderful things the sales person was showing us.  But my thought was - I will guarantee you that whoever is designing this stuff has NEVER EVER been responsible for the upkeep of a home.  So there is the glass door frig.  Then there is the door with a window.  And one of the manufacturers thought, hey not everyone wants to see  your mustard so we will make the window opaque.  Then you touch it and it goes clear.  YOU TOUCH IT!  Dude, please.  I would rather have the thundering hoards attacking my groceries open the damn door using a handle.  And the black we were told, isn't for everyone.  That's right because it isn't for anyone trying to get dinner on the table without having to wipe down the inside of appliances.

It looks so pretty but the thing with appliances is that they aren't art on the wall.  We use them every day, all day.

On Tuesday, June 06, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Kohola3 said:

I would wager that there is no "usability" testing done by a panel of people who actually cook, have kids, or run a household.  These are all appropriate for loft apartments in downtown areas where the singles eat out every night and not a single burner on the stove has ever been lit.

On Tuesday, June 06, 2017 at 9:43 AM, QuinnM said:

Well here's the thing. At this point in my life that's me.  Fancy cute townhouse, on the downtown river, hipsterville, single gal.  And even I don't think these things are useable on a daily basis.  I have a life. I'm not spending my day DUSTING the interior of my frig.  I mean how cool will all my slightly used glad containers look in there?

On Tuesday, June 06, 2017 at 11:28 AM, laredhead said:

I went to a real estate open house recently and the kitchen had one of those commercial looking refrigerators that had a clear glass door.  I swear the refrig had been staged along with the rest of the house.  It was perfect and everything in it looked nice.  Several lookers remarked how that would look instantly messy if they bought the house and filled it with their stuff.

I once saw a HH were the lady said that she disliked any counter tops that did not show dirt.  I think she was looking for a million dollar home in wine country.  You could tell by her inflections that she had never wiped down a counter top in her life.  She obviously wanted one that showed dirt easily, so she could see where the maids had not cleaned properly.

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 4:42 PM, MaKaM said:

Which is, of course, super if you live in Asia where houses are possibly designed with that in mind. If you are searching in Podunksville, IN, requiring a bunch feng shui things to be present in an already-built house is stupid. Build a house if it is such a requirement, silly house hunters. :-P I've seen the ones that require a certain number not be in the address or that it face a certain direction and it is lovely your incredibly generous budget allows you to eliminate perfectly fine house for silly reasons--oh, wait, it always seems to be the house hunters with tight budgets that have such picky requirements. Yeah, probably producer encouraged. Still a peeve.

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 10:32 AM, laredhead said:

I just took my 92 year old aunt to see a new retirement apartment that boasts 21st Century Living as it's motto.  We walked into the apartment and there was a full kitchen with ss appliances, granite counters and a wide eating bar all open to the living room.  She told the woman showing us the apartment that she didn't want her kitchen in her living room and she was too old to sit on a bar stool to eat at a counter.  The woman said that was what most people wanted these days - open concept.  My aunt just looked at her like she was nuts, and on our way home, she declared that open concept was not for her and that she might as well have moved her bed into the living room. 

Also giant open concept rooms are a bitch to heat and cool.  They are a boon to builders since less walls are less planning and money for them

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 10:48 PM, suebee12 said:

I just started watching a House Hunter's Renovation and they are only 3 minutes in and already I have heard about the "retreat" that they want as their bedroom. Add to that that they want a "spa-like" bathroom and enough is enough. Whatever happened to sleeping in a bedroom and using the normal facilities of a bathroom? If you have these amenities in your home, what is there to look forward to when you go on vacation? That is when I would love something to make me feel special. I can see wanting a really nice bedroom and master bath but why do they have to be so "special"? Guess I am just not a fancy person...give me a bed, a shower and a toilet and I can be happy!

The only way my bathroom becomes a spa vacation is if someone else volunteers to clean it.

• Love 3

My mom had a theory about the giant master bedrooms/"retreats" with all sorts of areas for different things.  She thinks it's due to the open concept craze.  The parents/adults/whosevergetsthe'retreat' need a place to escape from seeing and hearing everything all the time.  It may even be subconscious.  I love that theory.  I'm not saying it's true for everyone that has or likes open concept, but I bet it's true for some.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

My mom had a theory about the giant master bedrooms/"retreats" with all sorts of areas for different things.  She thinks it's due to the open concept craze.  The parents/adults/whosevergetsthe'retreat' need a place to escape from seeing and hearing everything all the time.  It may even be subconscious.  I love that theory.  I'm not saying it's true for everyone that has or likes open concept, but I bet it's true for some.

That's interesting and something I hadn't ever really considered.  I bet it's true in many cases.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

I once saw a HH were the lady said that she disliked any counter tops that did not show dirt.  

I've said that, because my lamiate ones don't show it, but you FEEL the crumbs, the sticky, and if they showed, just maybe the messy person would clean them, and I wouldn't have to wipe them so often.
On the see-thru fridges, now with Walmart willing to deliver your groceries AND put them up, the next step will be that they just check with your fridge, buy what they want, deliver and stash it.
You open the fridge door and see what's been chosen for you.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, aquarian1 said:

I don't like eating at an island since 9 times out of 10 (or 99 out of a 100, really) you face into the kitchen.  Why would I want to look at the appliances or dirty dishes or a wall, etc., while I eat?

Don't entertain much anymore, but I remember when the kitchen, after a party, had dirty dishes and pots everywhere.  Even with no kitchen doors, it wasn't staring you in the face, so you can enjoy the party and deal with the mess later.
And I've had gates to keep dogs or kids in or out of a room.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

When I was a newlywed, I lived in a studio apt in NYC. I used to go sit in the walk-through closet for some quiet and privacy. 

• Love 8
On 10/7/2017 at 5:11 PM, auntjess said:

It would be fun, as a stunt, to show a house with open concept bathroom, and real estate agent could say how nice that you could tell if it's free, and you wouldn't need to knock.

I would love to see that!  Do families really do every! little! thing! together as a group these days??    Also per the open concept that gets people so jacked up: All I can envision is Hubby/Dad watching something annoying on the television or kids watching something equally annoying on the flat screen mounted above the fireplace and everyone gets to listen to it!

Per the bathrooms:  "It is so tiny in here!!!"  What are you doing in there, anyways?  Having a barn dance?

• Love 8

I tend to have a lot of pet peeves with home shows, but, this one really annoys me. I've noticed that it's RAMPART and has built up over the years on a lot of shows like HH.  When the couple look at the master bedroom closet.....this signals the female to immediately stake claim and send her lowly mate to the other rooms or basement closet for their clothes storage needs.  lol The women make no bones about it. THEY are entitled to use all the space.  They have so many clothes, so many shoes, etc. They immediately say this will do for ME.   Why do they get so rude and selfish when they see the closet?  I would never act that way.  It's not even close to be fair minded.  I have always been fair in working out closet arrangements, especially, if both are working and paying the mortgage.  When they get to the master closet, I'll predict that it's about to happen.  I wonder if it'll ever stop. 

I've actually only seen one case where the husband had a lot of shoes and wanted lots of room for his shoe collection.  That was a few years ago.  You might recall it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've actually only seen one case where the husband had a lot of shoes and wanted lots of room for his shoe collection.  That was a few years ago.  You might recall it. 

I think I remember him!!  My and hubby - he has way more clothes and shoes than me!!  LOL!  I have my own room with my own closet (we do sleep together, mind you!) but we never argue about closets.  Or money.  We keep that separate too.  Now if I can only get my own bathroom......

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Per the bathrooms:  "It is so tiny in here!!!"  What are you doing in there, anyways?  Having a barn dance?

Bathrooms should be only as big as they need to be.  No "spa-like" bathrooms, with chairs.  Do these people all have either maid service, or cleaning fetishes?
Oh, and something else in my dream home, would be a nice basement laundry room, with a big deep laundry sink between the washer and dryer.  It would be big and deep enough to wash the dog.

• Love 4

It would be fun, as a stunt, to show a house with open concept bathroom, and real estate agent could say how nice that you could tell if it's free, and you wouldn't need to knock.

I don't like taking a leak alone when I have guests in the house. This would allow me to entertain while I'm doing my bidness.

Something that strikes me as weird are all the people who don't like the bedroom loft with walls that don't reach the ceiling of a one-bedroom home because of its lack of privacy. Or having a bedroom downstairs off the living room or kitchen for the same reason. Do people throw parties where the guests stay after the hosts have gone to bed? I always leave before the host retires.

I'm boggled by the couples who are seeking refuge from the hustle and bustle of their daily lives to take life easier elsewhere, particularly to somewhere tropical, and then fuss about no double sinks in the master bathroom. Who's in such a hurry in the tropics? Wasn't taking it slow the reason for the move in the first place? I would see being in a hurry as not part of my new laid-back environment.

Is it a thing with the younger set to cook and have guests linger around the kitchen? I see clips of people standing around with wine glasses and beer bottles, and I think I'd be the one who'd want to sit down. 

When did I get so peculiar?

Edited by mojito
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, mojito said:

...and I think I'd be the one who'd want to sit down. 

Lord, yes. I'm always looking for the nearest chair, preferably with a table nearby to set down a drink.  And not those horrible bar stools where your feet dangle a foot off the ground.  My legs always go to sleep and then I land on my face when I try to walk away!

• Love 8