Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: The Holy Trinity and Beyond

That's cute! I hate to cook, but I sure oohed and ahhed over kitchens when we were looking. I think I've watched too many HH episodes. I'm being assimilated.

You're past assimilation, bubbls - you've officially jumped the shark, lol!

Yes, now we'll see if black stainless catches on.  They might achieve some market penetration like the slate grey.

The newest annoying mantra is "I can see myself . . . " doing whatever every single person does in a kitchen, bathroom, master bedroom, bonus room, three-season porch, etc. 

Does anyone else think some of these "bonus rooms" are actually architectural mistakes?  They designed the house to particular specs and had space left over?  Because some of these rooms are in odd places, the ceilings have weird angles, and the wall space isn't conducive to logical furniture placement.  It's hard to imagine that they were designed that way on purpose.

Yep, have heard that mantra.

Definitely agree about the weird angles and corners in poorly designed, one-off type homes.  Other bonus rooms have evolved over time.  For example, so-called "frog" rooms occurred after homeowners figured out that it wasn't optimal to use the over garage space for kid bedrooms. 

I've never heard it called a frog room before. 

My niece has her bedroom in that area. She's over a two-car garage so the room is huge.  There's a Palladian window at the end and the room has multiple skylights. The room's south-facing and has hot-water baseboard heat so it's cozy when it's cold, and is part of a 3 room AC zone so even when it was broiling outside, it was comfortable. 

I want a room like that for myself!  LOL

I've never heard it called a frog room before. 

My niece has her bedroom in that area. She's over a two-car garage so the room is huge.  There's a Palladian window at the end and the room has multiple skylights. The room's south-facing and has hot-water baseboard heat so it's cozy when it's cold, and is part of a 3 room AC zone so even when it was broiling outside, it was comfortable. 

I want a room like that for myself!  LOL

Sorry about that, DownTheShore.  Quickly typing away, automatically assuming the abbreviation or term "frog", i.e. family-room-over-garage, was often used during HH.

Glad your niece likes the room.  As previously discussed around here, I was posting in generalities and buyers can use rooms as they wish.

Here's hoping you score your own person-cave!

• Love 1

Personal pet peeve: "This house is perfect but I'm worried about the construction going on on this street."  And they subsequently turn down that house for that reason.  Just today, I watched an episode in Denver where the couple wanted to be near town and looked at a home built in the late 1800's.  It was in a perfect location, very desirable area and had been completely renovated.  It was gorgeous, a bit over their max budget - but not that much.  They both loved it and agreed it was perfect for them but turned it down because the house next door (also a historic home) was undergoing a renovation (as were a few others on the street).  

I wasn't aware of it but in the "House Hunters" world construction and renovations go on until the end of time.  I didn't know that.  /snark

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 3

My city street has had 9 teardowns/new builds since 2010.  I can tell you it is HELL, with noise and construction dirt and dust and huge trucks and dumpsters blocking the street and the alley behind (where we all need to drive when getting our cars out of the garage.  The city had to repave our street because of the huge potholes and damage those trucks caused over the years.  HELL, I tell you, HELL.

However, I agree that it is dumb not to buy a house because of that.  Construction ends, eventually (I'm still waiting for that!), and it increases the property values in the neighborhood. 

• Love 1

The thing that"s been really annoying me of late is the "my neighbors can see me" complaint. I know it's been discussed before, but everytime one of the HH utters that line, I want to stake him - because it's usually a him - out in that prospective yard naked so that his potential neighbors can get a really good look at him. 

And maybe hold up numerical scorecards like the Olympic judges used to do! 

• Love 5

I recently saw one in New Orleans, and the man whined about "charm" so much I wanted kick his ass straight to Baltimore. Bitch, you have wood floors and high ceilings. Add some vintage light fixtures, crown molding, and call it a fucking day.

"So, is this the Master"? I can't get my eight foot wide bed and IKEA sundries in here"!!

No fool. I am the Master. In fact, it is my new anti house hunters show. As the Master, I make the most whiny and heinous HHers buy the shittiest house in the worst neighborhood. What, you want grahhhhnit counters? Later for that. I salvaged a yellow Formica counter from a house built in 1985. Want a soaker tub? Fuck that noise. You're getting a new acoustic tile drop down ceiling in your fucking teen hang out that I've paneled with fake paneling from 1972. Want an open concept entertainment area? I'll just smack you with a stick. Because I'm the Master.

• Love 8

Caught part of an episode today -- a repeat -- family had $350K to spend, can't remember the city (sorry).  They had kids, wanted four bedrooms, ended up with five, so good for them.

What bugged me was that the wife insisted two perfectly fine bathrooms had to be "updated".  Her husband liked the glass tile, said it had old-style charm (or something like that).  The wife and the realtor both said that's why the bathrooms needed updating -- they were old. 

I wish, just once, that a husband (because it's usually the husband) would speak up, especially about bathrooms, which can be really expensive to mess with.  If the fixtures are clean, in good repair, if everything works, if the colors aren't obnoxious, if there's enough light, if the room size is adequate -- they don't need updating.  So what if it doesn't look like a picture from House Beautiful!  The rooms in those magazines will be "outdated" by the time the next issue comes out. 

• Love 3

Yes, just once I'd like to hear:

- No, you don't need granite, the solid surface is fine

- No, we're not replacing the appliances. Brand-new white ones work just fine.

- No, we don't need to redo the master bath to add two sinks. We don't have to be in it at the same time and you can learn to store your beauty products in the vanity UNDER the sink instead of ON TOP of it.

- No, you don't need to be able to walk out into the backyard in your underwear.

- No, the neighbors are not going to be sitting by their windows staring into your house. If you don't want anyone to see inside, then we can put up blinds or shades or shutters or curtains.

-No, you don't need a dedicated room for: gift wrapping, tea parties, Star Wars collectibles, Christmas decorations.

- No, you don't need a guest room: you hate my family and I hate yours.

- No, each of our kids doesn't need their own room. We can't afford it.

- No, the baby won't fall down the stairs, she can't walk yet. And when she does, we'll put up baby gates and teach her not to climb.

- No, I don't care if the basement is spooky. Get over it.

-No, we're not passing on this great house deal just because the house is older than you are.

- No, I don't care what the feng shui is of this house - we're Czech, not Chinese.

- No, I don't care if the dog likes or doesn't like the house; the dog isn't paying the mortgage.

- No, we're not going to get a dog/cat just because we finally bought a home.

• Love 17

- No, you don't need to be able to walk out into the backyard in your underwear.

I know, right? I never stop being annoyed by this one. You live in the friggin city. Buy drapes, put up a fence, okay?

"So, is this the Master"? I can't get my eight foot wide bed and IKEA sundries in here"!!

I want to know when and why first-time home owners purchased a king-sized bed when they were supposedly dirt poor and living in an apartment or in one of their parents' basements. 

• Love 3

- No, we don't need to redo the master bath to add two sinks. We don't have to be in it at the same time and you can learn to store your beauty products in the vanity UNDER the sink instead of ON TOP of it.

- No, the neighbors are not going to be sitting by their windows staring into your house. If you don't want anyone to see inside, then we can put up blinds or shades or shutters or curtains.

-No, you don't need a dedicated room for: gift wrapping, tea parties, Star Wars collectibles, Christmas decorations.

- No, the baby won't fall down the stairs, she can't walk yet. And when she does, we'll put up baby gates and teach her not to climb.

-No, we're not passing on this great house deal just because the house is older than you are.

- No, I don't care what the feng shui is of this house - we're Czech, not Chinese.

- No, I don't care if the dog likes or doesn't like the house; the dog isn't paying the mortgage.

Ah yes, thank you for this list!  I have found my people!  :o)  Such entitlement and so many unrealistic expectations.  If any of these buyers ever has to go through a legitimate real-life crisis (death in the family, bankruptcy, whatever), I fear they will actually fall apart!  Toughen up, people!  Grow up.  Be grateful for what you've been given instead of demanding more and more and more and more and more.  (Is there an emoticon on this site for barfing in your mouth a little?)

Edited by Vanderfabulous
  • Love 4

I love this.  I'm watching HH right now and they have this couple from Virginia where the woman wants a Tara style house.  And they're complaining about "no privacy in the yard!"  and "where can I put my tequila bar?"

I don't get this no privacy in the yard, is that a real thing or just a first world problem?  Most people are too self centered to even notice their neighbors today.

• Love 1

I don't get this no privacy in the yard, is that a real thing or just a first world problem?  Most people are too self centered to even notice their neighbors today.

It's a thing for me.  I don't sunbathe in the nude, but when I'm outside, I don't want to feel like I'm being watched.  Or like I have to be sociable if the neighbors are around. 

It's a thing for me.  I don't sunbathe in the nude, but when I'm outside, I don't want to feel like I'm being watched.  Or like I have to be sociable if the neighbors are around. 

That's what fences are for.  Build a high fence, no one can see you.  Besides most people are into their own shit, they could care less about you.  

What I don't get are people, usually women, who are like, "I can't be in a house that other people lived in."  So does that mean they can't buy a used car or sit in a movie theater, or walk on a sidewalk others have walked on?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

That's what fences are for.  Build a high fence, no one can see you.  Besides most people are into their own shit, they could care less about you.  

Nope.  Fences block the view.  Not that I have a view (I live in Iowa) but I don't want to feel closed in.  We live on the edge of town.  Our back yard is farm fields.  When the farmer plants corn (every other year), I can't see a damn thing, have to walk two blocks to see northern lights, meteor showers, lightning storms, etc. 

If I lived in a city, I'd build a fence, but I wouldn't like it.

I don't think not wanting to feel that the neighbours can watch your every move is unreasonable.  What's unreasonable are the people who go on this show who, on a tight budget, somehow expect to find a completely private house but are looking at houses in the suburbs or trendy inner city neighbourhoods.  If you want to be able to feel you don't have neighbours these are probably not the best places to be looking!

• Love 5

What I don't get are people, usually women, who are like, "I can't be in a house that other people lived in."  So does that mean they can't buy a used car or sit in a movie theater, or walk on a sidewalk others have walked on?

This is what Teresa Guidice claimed, using it as an excuse for building a brand spanking new home.  And yet, she survived several months in a jail cell with the accompanying lack of privacy.  lolol  Sorry to be redundant but I just can't get past the sense of entitlement these people have.  Do they even realize how many people in this world sleep on the ground, have no running water, etc., etc.?  Entitled assholes. 

• Love 2

I don't think not wanting to feel that the neighbours can watch your every move is unreasonable. What's unreasonable are the people who go on this show who, on a tight budget, somehow expect to find a completely private house but are looking at houses in the suburbs or trendy inner city neighbourhoods. If you want to be able to feel you don't have neighbours these are probably not the best places to be looking!

It drives me nuts when people are looking in cities but don't want to deal with city living. If you are looking at Baltimore row homes, do not say word one about how close together they are. I love cities (when people on this show talk about wanting 10 acres, I can't relate at all) but I know that means that I'll have neighbors. If you don't want to deal with city living, own it and move to the suburbs. "I want to be able to walk downtown but have no neighbors!" That is not a thing, shut up.
  • Love 9

It drives me nuts when people are looking in cities but don't want to deal with city living. If you are looking at Baltimore row homes, do not say word one about how close together they are. I love cities (when people on this show talk about wanting 10 acres, I can't relate at all) but I know that means that I'll have neighbors. If you don't want to deal with city living, own it and move to the suburbs. "I want to be able to walk downtown but have no neighbors!" That is not a thing, shut up.

A. Soundproof the walls. Invest in that before other unnessesary shit. You CAN cook on ugly appliances, and those walls are actually supporting the fucking roof and so have a purpose.

B. Don't walk around nude , have sex, or commit crimes in full view of your neighbors.

C. Since you're so busy visiting the "shops downtown", why do you have any time to worry about your neighbors seeing you?

D. You will probably need a second job to pay off your stupid granite and suches and won't have time to worry about the neighbors , or "visit the shops".

• Love 4

A. Soundproof the walls. Invest in that before other unnessesary shit. You CAN cook on ugly appliances, and those walls are actually supporting the fucking roof and so have a purpose.

B. Don't walk around nude , have sex, or commit crimes in full view of your neighbors.

C. Since you're so busy visiting the "shops downtown", why do you have any time to worry about your neighbors seeing you?

D. You will probably need a second job to pay off your stupid granite and suches and won't have time to worry about the neighbors , or "visit the shops".

You MUST be talking about that awful Baltimore woman, the one whose husband and her supposedly wanted a Baltimore row home, yet she magically wanted it to have character and vintage charm and be right downtown but under a ridiculously low price and magically with no surrounding neighbors???

I watched part of that episode yesterday and actually had to turn it off since she came off like such a miserable bitch.

If you want to live downtown, you have to understand you'll lose a lot of typical creature comforts along with a lack of space and privacy. If you can't handle that, own it and accept that you're more suited to suburban life.

Hate to say it, but I saw those two high-tailing it right back to the 'burbs in about a year or so, or as soon as she gets preggers. I live downtown in a loft building and see it happen with couples like that all the time, who think they want the "charm" and ease of city living, until they realize just how noisy and cramped downtown living is often like, and they scurry right on back to the suburbs where they always really belonged.

• Love 2

You MUST be talking about that awful Baltimore woman, the one whose husband and her supposedly wanted a Baltimore row home, yet she magically wanted it to have character and vintage charm and be right downtown but under a ridiculously low price and magically with no surrounding neighbors???

I watched part of that episode yesterday and actually had to turn it off since she came off like such a miserable bitch.

If you want to live downtown, you have to understand you'll lose a lot of typical creature comforts along with a lack of space and privacy. If you can't handle that, own it and accept that you're more suited to suburban life.

Hate to say it, but I saw those two high-tailing it right back to the 'burbs in about a year or so, or as soon as she gets preggers. I live downtown in a loft building and see it happen with couples like that all the time, who think they want the "charm" and ease of city living, until they realize just how noisy and cramped downtown living is often like, and they scurry right on back to the suburbs where they always really belonged.

Exactly.  I live in Manhattan, where I live isn't in the middle of everything, in fact it's one long ass block away from everything.  People come here and complain, "it's so far from everything, I have to walk ONE long ass block to the subway" (mind you, there's a bus that can take you there) but if they live closer to "bars and restaurants" they'll have to deal with noise, which of course they don't want.  

Speaking of your neighbors seeing you, my grandfather had this house in the South, and on the porch he had these awnings made so no one could see you, if you were sitting on the porch.  You could stand right in front of the house and not see the person sitting directly in front of you, on the porch.  

• Love 1

I've spent most of my life living in cities, and I can tell you I have never spent my free time looking out the windows at my neighbors, nor have I noticed any of them wasting their time looking at me.  In San Francisco, I had a huge kitchen window that looked directly into a neighbor's bedroom with only a few feet between the houses.  Not only did I have no idea their room was a bedroom for the first couple of years I lived there, I hardly ever saw them despite not having blinds on my windows.  They had blinds and curtains and pulled them closed at night.  Shocking how that works.

• Love 2

I've spent most of my life living in cities, and I can tell you I have never spent my free time looking out the windows at my neighbors, nor have I noticed any of them wasting their time looking at me.  In San Francisco, I had a huge kitchen window that looked directly into a neighbor's bedroom with only a few feet between the houses.  Not only did I have no idea their room was a bedroom for the first couple of years I lived there, I hardly ever saw them despite not having blinds on my windows.  They had blinds and curtains and pulled them closed at night.  Shocking how that works.

I've lived in cities my entire life and the only time I've noticed my neighbors (and I grew up in a neighborhood where the neighbors knew and looked out for each other, kids played together, etc.) is if they were doing something really ostentatious, like fighting. My next-door neighbors are a young couple (under 25) and they were arguing - shouting - in the street the other night. The whole block saw and heard that because it was a screaming fight in the middle of the street. (It was the first time I've heard him say anything. She is polite, will say good morning if you see her on the street; he doesn't say a word.) Otherwise, they have blinds and use them, and so do I. And day to day life is pretty mundane, so even if people can see into your place, they probably don't care what you're doing. You could see into my ex's neighbor's kitchen from Ex's dining room, and, like, I think I saw the neighbor take eggs out of the fridge once. Call the papers!

• Love 2

I m sick of the expression "cookie cutter" - this house is so cookie cutter! I don't want something cookie cutter..did people used to say this? cause it's one of those expressions that needs to die. Except I just saw a car commercial using cookie cutter so I think we are doomed.

• Love 4

It's also damn insulting.  Most of us don't have the money to build from scratch or the money to buy something truly unique.  We're living in apartments, condos and houses with floorplans pretty similar to thousands of other apartments, condos and houses.  If we can add a personal touch or two we're happy with that.  Watching people with more money than sense deriding what would make most viewers pretty happy is another pet peeve of mine.  Choose your words people!

• Love 7

Unfortunately, the term "cookie-cutter" has been around and probably isn't going anywhere.  You're correct,   CherryAmes;  the builders know what sells.  They replicate something for a reason!

Edited by aguabella

What I don't get are people, usually women, who are like, "I can't be in a house that other people lived in."  So does that mean they can't buy a used car or sit in a movie theater, or walk on a sidewalk others have walked on?

And aren't they usually moving from an apartment, or a rental home, or their parents' home? So WTF?

My latest pet peeve comes from people (usually men) who demand a 3 or 4 car garage, not to protect their cars from the elements, or even for their boats or trailers, but for their home projects or expansive work benches. And most of the homes have unfinished basements which the same men also complain about because they're  not finished man caves. Really? Why don't you use some of your advanced DIY skills to finish the basement? 

• Love 3

Serious question: anyone on here been on the show, or know someone who has? if so, do the producers actually tell you to act like an a$$hole? I wish someone could point me in a direction where i can read someone's take on being on the show. I am not sure I have ever seen a couple I would actually like to be friends with.....

I know someone who knows someone - he didn't come off as an asshat. I don't see this person often enough to ask. Her husband had an employee who was on, and since she worked for the feds, had to get approval to be on the show. That's the only thing he remembers about it. I saw her episode and she came off fairly well.

Agree with EVERYONE here!  These people want so much for so little, are unwilling to compromise, and the stainless steel/granite counter tops drive me insane.  Will your appliances and dishes fall straight through a composite or tile or whatever counter top onto the floor?  No?  A white refrigerator won't keep your food cold?  The appliances don't match and therefore are unusable?  No?  Then deal with a few minor "inconveniences' rather than complain about everything.  That said, I do love these shows!

A few of my own complaints:

"But will our KING SIZED bed fit in here?  We have a KING SIZED bed!"  You must be aware that we have a KING SIZED bed because our sex life is so varied and amazing and athletic that we neeeeeeeeed all that space; a queen or (heaven forbid) a double simply would not be adequate.  Yuck.

"This looks like Grandma's bathroom - a total gut job."  I happen to like Grandmom's bathroom - I usually think the blue, pink, green, patterned whatever tiles are pretty, and actually do remind me of my grandmother's bathrooms but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Granted, sometimes the color is overwhelming when the walls and the floor and the bathtub and the toilet are ALL pink, but at least keep the pretty antique wall tiles and replace the floor and tub to tone it down.  I may actually be alone here, but I like those old-fashioned bathrooms.

"But the baby will fall down the stairs!"  Because no baby has survived a house with stairs before.  Plus, they will stay 18 months forever.

"It's a mile to the beach/downtown?  Forget about it!"  It's a MILE.  It will take you 20 minutes to walk there.  Walk a freaking MILE - it'll be good for you. 

"We want a Victorian with a lot of gingerbread and charm, but we also want a master suite, walk-in closets and an open floor plan.  Why can't we have everything we want?"  People just don't seem to understand that things were different back in the day and styles change.  I admit a master suite and more than one bathroom and large closets and such would be nice to have, but all those things are fairly recent developments - certainly nothing I grew up with, nor most of you, it seems.

The couple can NEVER agree with what style of house they prefer.

They turn up their noses at kitchens and bathrooms and closets and bedrooms and porches and yards and all that I would KILL for.  They see the perfect house for them but choose a different one.  I know it's scripted and their house is already bought when the episode is filmed, but still.  I thought they chose the wrong house, and of course it's all about meeee and what I would have chosen.  (And right there is the fun of the show.  I love looking at all their options, and it makes me so happy when they choose the "right" house!)

SO many others, but that's what comes to mind right now.  I have so enjoyed reading this thread - thank you all for the entertainment, and keep bitching, er, I mean posting about it!

• Love 7

Scootypuffjr, (love your screen name) I was thinking about your comment that you also want a master suite & walk in closets, etc, but didn't grow up with that.  Some of these couples on HH recently have been very young and I'm thinking that we will see more and more first time buyers who actually did live in houses with those amenities as they were growing up.  Their parents were able to buy larger houses with more of what were considered luxury features while the kids were still living at home, but seems like many of today's 20 somethings think they are now necessities.  The world will come to an end if they have to share a bathroom sink with their spouse because one of them can't walk to another bathroom and brush their teeth there. 

I agree with you about the bathrooms.  Have the tub and sink refinished to a neutral color and save thousands of dollars.  Ripping out the tile in one of those vintage bathrooms is not easy and incredibly messy, especially if you are living in the house during renovation.  First hand experience here dealing with a tiled bathroom that could not be salvaged unfortunately, because of plumbing issues and floor damage.  Most of these buyers want a huge expanse of bathroom space, but I want something small and efficient.  All I see when I view one of those huge bathrooms is cleaning time.  Mopping and keeping those glass shower enclosures clean requires constant maintenance if you want it to look new.

That said, if they can afford to pay for these must haves, fine, but don't look for them on a $200,000 budget and then whine when the house isn't what they consider perfect.  I guess their unrealistic expectations are my biggest pet peeve.         

• Love 4

DO NOT, under ANY circumstance, take my King size bed away from me - ever! And it has nothing to do with my sex life, and everything to do with being able to sleep comfortably with another person in the bed. I'm too old to not be comfortable at night. Hrumph.

• Love 9

DO NOT, under ANY circumstance, take my King size bed away from me - ever! And it has nothing to do with my sex life, and everything to do with being able to sleep comfortably with another person in the bed. I'm too old to not be comfortable at night. Hrumph.

Man, my hubs and I have had a king bed and we've had a queen bed, and overall, I'd still rather have that queen bed---Kings take up way too much space and are *such* a bitch to make. If you travel around and you hit hotels, you can always just request a "kings room" and live that comfy mattress style for a while without all the work.

I just don't get the folks who whine about trying to fit their king mattresses into tiny houses or a small Victorian bedroom...if that's your preference than you'd better be prepared to lose some of those creature comforts!

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh yeah, I would never routinely share a bed with someone in anything smaller than a king. 

But if I was house hunting as part of a couple with a king-sized bed, I'd know I was either going to wind up with a bedroom consisting mostly of that bed or have to look at styles of homes that have larger bedrooms. 

So I don't care about someone wanting room for a king-sized bed, I care about someone complaining that a home of an era/style in which bedrooms are fairly small has a bedroom too small for a king-sized bed.

That's really my fundamental peeve with HHs: Those who complain about features endemic to the housing style/neighborhood in which they're looking.  Don't look downtown and complain about street noise.  Don't look at old homes and complain about the lack of "open concept."  Don't look in a new development and complain about ongoing construction.  Etc.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

Scootypuffjr, (love your screen name)

Thank you - I was somewhat surprised to see it was available when I requested it several years ago. I always thought Scootypuff (an overly cutesy child's riding toy from an episode of Futurama) was such a ridiculous name, and such a silly way to save the universe. I probably should have stopped with just plain old Scootypuff, as I had forgotten a line from the episode, but was reminded by another poster at TWOP: "Don't forget - Scootypuffjr suuuuuuuuucks!" But perhaps it all worked out for the best - chessiegal probably would agree! :-)

Honestly, I don't care if you or anybody else has a king sized bed - maybe I'm just jealous! I'd love to have one myself, but my husband and I have to make do with a double. My sister and her husband somehow survive with something called a three-quarter bed - I have no idea how. What irritates me is the constant repetition and emphasis of the words KING SIZED - why can't they just say "I'm not sure our bed would fit this room" or words to that effect. That would bother me not at all.

It is funny to see how styles change, and what passes for necessities from generation to generation. My mom and I enjoy watching these shows together and even as I complain about these people, I have to admit I'd love to have those features myself. (There's a reason these amenities became popular, after all.) If I ever get to live an episode of House Hunters and am in the market for another house, I'm sure my wish list would be just as ridiculous and demanding as these people's - for instance, I've always wanted a second-story balcony (or even higher), but would kind of like to have a ranch house as well. I'd like to meet the realtor who could find that house for me.

Edited by scootypuffjr
  • Love 1

You must be aware that we have a KING SIZED bed because our sex life is so varied and amazing and athletic that we neeeeeeeeed all that space; a queen or (heaven forbid) a double simply would not be adequate.

Oh, I thought the King sized bed was for when you had company....My mistake.

The couple can NEVER agree with what style of house they prefer.

Or one member of the newlywed couple (not pointing out the wife, mind you) will declare, "This is not our style" and within minutes, hubby will love the fireplace while the wife insists that it's yet another item that needs updating.

How 'bout when the house hunters looking for second homes for vacationing balk at single sinks in the master bath. Because, I guess, they're both rushing each morning to get out to the beach. And the horror of the missing soaking tub! How are you supposed to relax after a hard day of sipping margaritas by the pool?

What I find interesting are how people declare they don't want anything "cookie cutter" but then want exactly the things people had to have 12 years ago.

• Love 3

It drives me batty when people look at new construction homes and then complain about the construction noise. I've lived in a few new homes where the neighborhood was still being developed. The construction noise lasted 6-12 months and was during the day so it wasn't a big deal. The worst part of it was when the "roach coaches" came around at lunch time and having a view of a port a potty for months.

• Love 4

The producers have to be suggesting that one person say they want character and the other say they want modern.

Probably tell them it makes for a better story if they go along, because it's known that they've already bought the house but they're just backtracking and adding two other houses to make it appear they were really choosing among the 3 homes shown, even when they never looked at the other two homes before coming on the show.

• Love 1

I want to throat punch every last person who whines about "charm and character", yet want open concept and 500 square feet "masters". Buy a fucking newer house with an open floor plan, add built ins, chair rails, crown molding, faux tin ceilings etc. learn to swing a hammer. Get some decent reproduction pieces from big junk day and refinish it yourself. It's hard to believe these actual morons get paid salaries high enough to afford a house.

• Love 6

"Learn to swing a hammer" is the key phrase there. They are all "too busy" or "too tired" when their day is done to do any fix-up jobs. Funny, our fathers managed to find the time, and most of them probably worked at more physically demanding jobs than the folks we see on HH.

• Love 2

On the other hand the last house I lived in before this one "benefited" from one too many previous owners who thought they knew how to do their own home renovations.  Looked good on the surface but it didn't take us long to start having to fix the Mr Fix it projects.  Worst was the ceramic tiles in the kitchen that started coming up, cracking and spewing grout granules.  I'd rather people not swing that hammer if they don't know what they're doing.

• Love 3

I want to throat punch every last person who whines about "charm and character", yet want open concept and 500 square feet "masters". Buy a fucking newer house with an open floor plan, add built ins, chair rails, crown molding, faux tin ceilings etc. learn to swing a hammer. Get some decent reproduction pieces from big junk day and refinish it yourself. It's hard to believe these actual morons get paid salaries high enough to afford a house.

I agree!  They insist they want an historical home with charm and character, yet complain about the lack of an en suite bathroom and the small closets.  That's how homes were built back then, you idiots!

Edited by rhofmovalley
  • Love 4

What's amazing too is what your money will buy you in different parts of the country. Having grown up in a very ordinary house in Chevy Chase MD that sold for a good amount of money, it's surprising to me that you can find very nice houses for around $100,000, or even less. My mother and I saw a simply wonderful historic house in I think Jackson NC for $130,000. We were astounded at what $250,000 or so could get you in Las Vegas. We are now living in Western PA and of course house prices are not what they are in Maryland - neither of us s paid much for our current houses, but they were fixer uppers in a rural area. But it almost seems as if we still paid too much. I know, the housing bubble burst, but still.

On the other end of the scale, it's surprising when people have a million dollar budget and it's not enough! The mind boggles. Location, location, location.

While I'm here, it seems as though I ruffled quite a few feathers with my gripe about buyers constant reminders of their King Sized beds and how much space they require. I don't care if or why anyone has a king sized bed, just the repetition of it got under my skin for some reason. I didn't mean anything by it, and I hope anyone I offended will accept my sincere apologies.

Edited by scootypuffjr

On the other hand the last house I lived in before this one "benefited" from one too many previous owners who thought they knew how to do their own home renovations.  Looked good on the surface but it didn't take us long to start having to fix the Mr Fix it projects.  Worst was the ceramic tiles in the kitchen that started coming up, cracking and spewing grout granules.  I'd rather people not swing that hammer if they don't know what they're doing.

You're so right.  Almost nothing worse than bad DIY.  Many of these projects are done last minute to spruce properties up for a sale.  They often get away with it but then the buyer moves in and discovers the shoddy workmanship.

Many DIY projects are much more difficult than they appear.  Crown molding's a great example.  Tiling, new flooring - I could go down the list.  If, as a homeowner, you don't know how to do something, it's usually better to just clean things up, paint and do simple curb appeal projects - e.g. new front door and mailbox. 

Then, buy a home that was professionally updated to your taste.  Let those sellers take the 30 - 40% hit on recovering the cost of improvements!

• Love 2