Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: The Holy Trinity and Beyond

a few frustrations when watching the shows. 

when people are looking for permanent homes and have to decide between various choices.  common real estate sense suggests location is the most important attribute when trying to protect your investment, i rarely ever see those aspects being evaluated much in the decision making process.  attributes like school district, crime rate, resale value of the neighborhood, etc.   instead people seem to be making decisions based on easily changed attributes such as kitchen finishes, flooring, wall paper and paint color.  

when house hunting, my primary considerations are location/zip code, the house setting or placement on the lot, not being near any negative monuments that may deter resale such as power lines, train tracks, commercial buildings, apartment buildings, across from a school, busy streets, airport traffic, etc..

then i look at room sizes, and the infrastructure of the house (does it have "good bones"), adequate number of bedrooms and bathrooms, sufficient square footage.

if those things are in order, most else can be easily changed in a matter of weeks.  appliances, flooring, counter tops, paint color, landscaping, even removing some walls, come down to money and affordability, but can be changed over time.   Plus my view has always been to not buy a perfect house because i would be paying for that perfect aspect.  i would much rather buy something at a discount with a few superficial defects, where after purchase, i can make some simple high payback superficial changes and gain  instant equity.

Edited by dga28

I'm sure they are discussing all that.  It's just that we don't get to see it.  Don't forget that they have already chosen their home and possibly even closed on it, way before we meet them.  The other 2 homes are just decoys, sometimes houses not even for sale or houses of friends or friends of friends.  The finishes, wall color, crap is just that crap lines given to them by the production team.  Every once in awhile you'll see them say something that couldn't have been fed to them but few and far between.

• Love 1

There was a pop up House Hunters episode on last year (?) where they had those little bubbles with extra information during the show.  It was BY FAR the most informative episode of HH I've ever seen because the pop up stuff was actually all those things you guys are talking about.  I don't remember the specifics, just stuff like how costly it would be to heat that room in the winter, what the property taxes are, what the average family spends to mow a lawn like that, how far people will typically walk to get to neighborhood shops and restaurants, etc. 

• Love 2

I HATE when someone states their type of home preference by putting on the disclaimer "because that's what I grew up in."

For example: " I would like a colonial, because that's what I grew up in."  GAH !   Just say you prefer a colonial. We certainly don't care about your childhood.

I DO NOT LIKE SPLIT LEVELS and that's what I GREW UP IN,  am I a freak of nature now ?

Also, I hate when a person walks into a room and asks "What's this?", wanting to know the room's designation.  I always scream, "It's whatever you want it to be, IDIOT!" 

• Love 9

I have a feeling the producers think us dull-witted viewers need some reason why someone likes a certain style of house. I grew up in an old house. We moved in when I was 5, and it was 108 years old then. It had 1 bathroom with a claw-foot tub, no shower, and an odd layout from being added on to over the years. I envied all my friends who had nice new homes - I was especially fond of the ranchers. I was so happy in my 40's when I bought a brand new single story house.

• Love 3

I found out that a dab of olive oil on a paper towel works wonders also.  

Wish I'd know that as I hated using WD40.

Regarding people wanting certain types of homes "because", I grew up in a trailer so I was pretty exited to move into a "real" house as a young adult. You will never in a million years see me on the show saying "What? A house? I want a trailer because I grew up in one!"

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 4

I saw an episode the other day where the husband used to be homeless as a child and sometimes his dad's best friend "Uncle Randy" would take them in for a couple of weeks in his log cabin.  He drove his wife and realtor crazy that he had to have a log cabin type home.  They finally did get something with lots of wood inside to make him happy.  God he was so annoying.

• Love 3

Watching Beachfront Bargain Hunt and i find it silly how some of these people view their budget in regards to something they really want?   Just because an asking price is above your budget doesnt mean the sale price will be above your budget?  Many properties sell for far less than asking price.

Also, whats the deal in being so hardcore about a few thousand dollars difference if its something you really want?  If you are financing, $10 to $20K difference is less than $100 a month difference in payments over the long haul.

• Love 1

diga28 agree. I love to watch Beachfront Bargain Hunt and it drives me insane when people are seeking these vacation homes (sometimes permanent homes) and as they explain why they really want this, that, and the other thing, they are just not willing or able to spend a bit more to get exactly what they want.

What annoys me about Beachfront Bargain Hunt is when they choose a house NOT on the beach in favor of some stupid reason like they like the kitchen more in the house blocks away from the beach. Really? REALLY???? I know it's fake, but it drives me nuts as I adore the beach. If I had the budget for a beach FRONT home you can damn well  know that's what I'd be buying, and I'd be living with fugly plywood cabinets and laminate counters if I had to. You know why? Because I'd be on.the.beach. Not in the kitchen.

• Love 7

What kills me with the beachfront type shows when they are buying a holiday home is the way they will still act like they need stainless steel and granite and all the rest.  I've lost count of how many times they say "this kitchen needs updating" and similar.  Really?  How much time are you expecting to spend in the house you are buying On The Beach??  Just so stupid.

• Love 5

I saw that exact situation recently on Tiny House Hunters, and cheered out loud when the woman who wanted the beach front cottage prevailed over her partner who wanted a bigger kitchen.  Do lots of grilling if you must cook, but otherwise the kitchen is for making margaritas then walking 5 steps to your beach chair.

What kills me with the beachfront type shows when they are buying a holiday home is the way they will still act like they need stainless steel and granite and all the rest.  I've lost count of how many times they say "this kitchen needs updating" and similar.  Really?  How much time are you expecting to spend in the house you are buying On The Beach??  Just so stupid.

For me, the only thing that really matters in a beach house is a large enough shower, because there's lots of showering during beach weekends.  I can scramble eggs for breakfast on white appliances just fine.

• Love 7

But can you cope with 1970s cabinetry in your beach house?  The horror!

LOL, my SO's mom has a beach cottage which we are lucky enough to get to use, and when I first walked in there some years ago, it was exactly the "horror" show that HH'ers always dismiss.  It had those old metal kitchen cabinets, barely enough counter space to complain about the laminate counter, everyone's castoff 70's furniture, and plywood paneling everywhere.  I didn't care and certainly never whined about the lack of style!  The short walk on the boardwalk to the beach, plus all the outside decks and porches were what mattered.

Over time, we've done some painting, changed out the cabinets, refreshed the rugs and couch pillows, and voila!  The appliances are still white and beige and don't match, but, beach cottage!! 

I understand not wanting to do work in a vacation home, but a little goes a long way.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

I'd scramble eggs on the car hood if it meant being beachfront! If I was a block away though I believe I'd have to insist on a microwave.

It had those old metal kitchen cabinets, barely enough counter space to complain about the laminate counter, everyone's castoff 70's furniture, and plywood paneling everywhere.

I bet nobody worried about messing up the place either, did they? Of course, I love a fixer-upper so I'd go for that over the mansion any day of the week.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 1

That's exactly it, bubbls -  two rowdy boys spent their summers at that cottage, and there was nothing for them to mess up.  Just lots of half-broken kites in the attic, or should I say "loft."

I admit, I love a good looking vacation house as much as anyone, but some of these home buyers seem to think it has to look like a resort.  They can always change some finishes, but they can't change a location. 

Edited by izabella

But can you cope with 1970s cabinetry in your beach house?  The horror!

How can you invite family/friends over to show them what you have and they don't, if the place is outdated ?

Huh? Huh ?

• Love 6

Every single couple on Lakefront/Beachfront BH talks about entertaining friends and family. Every. Single. One.

Forget the nice waterside setting, can you imagine entertaining at a place with outdated cabinets and white appliances? Welcome to the 7th circle of HGTV hell.

• Love 8

Nothing particularly helpful to add, but I use Pledge furniture polish exclusively on my stainless steel appliances, and I went from actively hating them to loving them because they stay smudge free and shiny all the time now. 

• Love 3

I'm down the shore right now, and we deliberately do not invite tons of people down because it is *our* time to de-stress. We normally only invite a few people - on widely-spaced days - to spend the day here.

If I was buying a shore or lakeside place for myself and not for rental purposes, entertaining space would be a low priority item. Maybe two extra bedrooms for family and a space for an outdoor grill and a table, and I'm good.

• Love 3
I saw an episode the other day where the husband used to be homeless as a child and sometimes his dad's best friend "Uncle Randy" would take them in for a couple of weeks in his log cabin.  He drove his wife and realtor crazy that he had to have a log cabin type home.  They finally did get something with lots of wood inside to make him happy.  God he was so annoying.

Omigosh! He was soo annoying.  He wanted a log cabin in Florida of all places! They did finally find that house will a room full of paneling and he was happy.  I think he was really trying to get across his story of "hard luck kid made good. "  The first time he brought it up I was sympathetic, but damn! It's a 30 minute show.  It seems he brought it up at least twice a segment.  Very annoying.

• Love 1

I've just come back from a friend's cottage and the whole time I was there I thought of this thread!  The cottage is old, been in the family since the '40s and is basically decorated in Early Canadian Cast-off, and that includes the mismatched appliances in the totally not modernized kitchen!  I've been told though that should they put it on the market it would go for something like $450k because it is a beautiful waterfront property with lots of shoreline a sandy beach and a dock.  The people on most of those beachfront bargain type shows though would have had a serious case of the vapours - no granite, stainless steel and only one very tiny bathroom!  It's amazing that we managed to have so much fun.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 8

My latest pet peeve are the wedding planner home buyers. 

"I hate these cabinets!" 

"We can always replace the cabinets." 

"But if we spend money on cabinets that we will use every single day we are in the house, I won't be able to afford an awesome wedding dress!"  [insert major bitchface]

Sigh. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 5

I just paid money to have.....brace yourself......square white 4x4 tiles put on my kitchen counter. We then grouted it in dark grey grout. How many times have any of us seen people gasp in shock and horror at counters just like mine? Bwahaha! I walk on the decorating wild side.

• Love 4

I was watching one of the shows yesterday and a couple from Colorado was looking for a home on Maui that they could ultimately turn into a B&B. She wanted a tall Victorian and was constantly disappointed when the realtor didn't show her any. I'm thinking to myself the entire time, of all the places in the world that you want to find a Victorian home, do you really think Maui abounds with them?

• Love 4

But. ..but. ..but the bacteria! The dirt! The grime in the grout lines! How will you function? HOW WILL YOU LIVE? ???

I know! I'm so crazy I'm scaring myself. Who knows what I'll do next; put laminate instead of hardwood or something like that. 

• Love 5

We rarely entertain - no kids at home. But I love our open concept home. We would not have ruled it out if it didn't have it when we were looking for our forever home,  but it it did. I like being able to be in the kitchen and watch TV in the great room. The rare times we do entertain, it's great.

We had an open concept home when the kids were teenagers.  It sucked.  I can see the advantages with little ones and then again once the kids are out of the house but if I had it to do over again the last house I would have bought with teens in mind was a house that was, when all was said and done, one giant room on the main floor. 

Or have a living space that's not open concept. You know, for all the entertaining that people do six days a week.

It's going to be white appliances - I just know it!!!

We intentionally bought a house that's not open concept. And I tried to find one with white appliances!. I'm telling you people, we are so outdated we've come full circle and are ahead of the trends!

We had an open concept in our last non-forever home and I hated it. Decorating isn't my strong suit to begin with, so having one giant room that was supposed to be several different spaces totally confused me. I never did get it right. Our current forever home is anything but open concept and we love it. I wouldn't have rejected open concept if everything else was good though.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 2

Does anybody else hate the words:  "clean lines"?  Anybody that doesn't want traditional uses this phrase.  So I've heard it like every single episode.

What annoyed me was the girl last night buying with her parents in Playa del Carmen said it after her mom wanted something spanish traditional.  Ugh..clean lines.  What does it mean anyway?  What distinguishes it from a different style.

• Love 2

It drives me BATTY when a house hunter sees an updated gourmet kitchen and says, "Now THIS is a kitchen that will inspire me to cook." If you can't (or won't) cook in an outdated kitchen, you probably don't know how to cook. A pretty kitchen isn't going to magically transform you into a great chef who wants to cook all the time.

• Love 7

It drives me BATTY when a house hunter sees an updated gourmet kitchen and says, "Now THIS is a kitchen that will inspire me to cook." If you can't (or won't) cook in an outdated kitchen, you probably don't know how to cook. A pretty kitchen isn't going to magically transform you into a great chef who wants to cook all the time.

That bugs me too. Cooking is one of my hobbies. I cook every day. It's fun for me! My eat-in kitchen right now has no counter space so I prep at the kitchen table. I would be super-excited about a gourmet kitchen, but not having one doesn't mean I won't cook. (However, I was dating a guy who DID have an updated kitchen and didn't cook and I was like "What a waste!" I liked cooking in his kitchen more than I liked cooking in mine.)

There was one episode where a couple was in a house with a big renovated kitchen and she was oooh-ing and aaah-ing over it, and he was like "Are you actually going to use this?" And she replied "No, but I'm going to take take-out out of containers and I need space to do that!" And they all cracked up. I thought that was cute. Points for honesty!

• Love 6

There was one episode where a couple was in a house with a big renovated kitchen and she was oooh-ing and aaah-ing over it, and he was like "Are you actually going to use this?" And she replied "No, but I'm going to take take-out out of containers and I need space to do that!" And they all cracked up. I thought that was cute. Points for honesty!

That's cute! I hate to cook, but I sure oohed and ahhed over kitchens when we were looking. I think I've watched too many HH episodes. I'm being assimilated.

Saturday I was shopping for new appliances with my Aunt who has just moved into a new apartment, it was all I could do to keep a straight face when she insisted she had to have stainless (apparently the condo did have appliances but they were :oh I weep for her: white).  Now I wish I could go back and try and talk her into black finish stainless!

• Love 2

I hate when there are homes that are oooohhhh and aaahhhhed over and when I look, I see that there is no counter space beside the stove, counter space on only one side of the sink, and black sides on a stainless steel fridge. 

I notice these things as well. I've seen some big kitchens with useless counter set-ups. And we had an awful black-sided stainless refrig in our previous house. It was so ugly.

Several years ago we were house hunting (we seem to do a lot of that!) and one house had some gorgeous "black" stainless appliances. They were more dark grey than black, but I think they were referred to as black stainless. Anyway, they were really sharp looking and dramatic.

The newest annoying mantra is "I can see myself . . . " doing whatever every single person does in a kitchen, bathroom, master bedroom, bonus room, three-season porch, etc. 

Does anyone else think some of these "bonus rooms" are actually architectural mistakes?  They designed the house to particular specs and had space left over?  Because some of these rooms are in odd places, the ceilings have weird angles, and the wall space isn't conducive to logical furniture placement.  It's hard to imagine that they were designed that way on purpose.

• Love 1

This is really a pet-peeve of my for ALL of the HGTV shows. I've noticed that everybody says, "Oh my goodness" - NEVER, "Oh my God." I think every single participant in all of these shows have been forbidden to say, "Oh my God" for fear it will offend someone. This, of course, makes their awe seem disingenuous because they're checking themselves before making the exclamation.

• Love 3

I hate when there are homes that are oooohhhh and aaahhhhed over and when I look, I see that there is no counter space beside the stove, counter space on only one side of the sink...

I see this often, and also no space beside the refrigerator.

When I'm dealing with a turkey, or a gallon pitcher, I need a place to put it down.

• Love 1

I've just come back from a friend's cottage and the whole time I was there I thought of this thread!  The cottage is old, been in the family since the '40s and is basically decorated in Early Canadian Cast-off, and that includes the mismatched appliances in the totally not modernized kitchen!

This is what really bothered me when Bryan Baeumler did the cottage House of Bryan.

He'd done all those cottages on Disaster DIY, and they were what I always thought of as beach places, where you could come in in a wet bathing suit, and track sand.

Then he builds a mansion with a huge ktchen, and what looked like a Tudor-size banqueting hall.

• Love 2

Re Building Belushi:

"Let's use the same stone to cover up the 9ft. high raised foundation." With no ”WTF, do you know how much all that stone and labor will cost???" comment afterwards.

Or, being okay with eliminating that window with the great view in the kitchen in order to accomdate the designer's vision.

That builder who built Belushi's house made a nice chunk of change on all the mark-ups, that's for sure.

• Love 1