Type keyword(s) to search

The 'Ship Yard: Relationships: At Bay, At Sail, Anchored, Adrift, Sunken, Salvaged and Under Construction.

BkWurm1

Agree with bkwurm and GH on...well, pretty much everything :) I'm inspired to rewatch from the beginning, though with frequent use of the fast forward button! And I know this is a simplistic view of it, but you guys have helped solidify how I've always felt that Lana wanted Clark but for various reasons never could have truly supported and embraced his role as Superman, while Lois loved world-saving, 'exciting' hero Superman but never truly loved Clark. (I get we were supposed to think otherwise, but Lois just seeemed to genuinely think she was way too 'cool' for Clark, and I never saw her as truly loving him or even connecting with him well). For me, only Chloe truly embraced, supported and loved both Clark AND Superman. And she was also, to me, more Lois-y in the best ways and as I'd always envisioned the character than Smallville's actual Lois :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 4

So I've been rewatching the series, and my final thoughts on season two are better suited here, since I'll be comparing Pink Pestilence's same treatment of Clark in future seasons.

Oh boo hoo, Lana feels guilty about breaking up with Whitney over a video, yet, they were still writing each other after that, and she even told Clark that they were closer or better friends since the break up, than when they were together. Yet, the minute "Whitney" shows up, and tells her that it was Clark who's jealous of of him, and tried to beat him up, blah, blah, blah, of course she's going to believe Whitney, who she hasn't seen in almost a year, and war/combat can change a person. Of COURSE it's Clark who is the villain of the piece. Just like he was in "Hug." Same thing happens in season four when Jason was fired, and Lana accuses Clark of revealing the relationship. Or maybe it was a later episode, but at the end, when Clark is in the cave and she comes stumbling in, with her crocodile tears and says that she's been a "horrible friend" and is always accusing Clark, Clark should have said, yeah, you are. You know, let her know how she was acting and how she always does this, just like he told her and Chloe about how they were treating him in "Dichotic." But nooooo, he's gotta hug her and tell her she's a gooooood friend, and he's there for her, blah, blah, blah, GAG!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

As much as I loathe the character of Lois on this show, I do have to admit, that I really like and enjoy her relationship with Chloe. It doesn't seem forced to me and very organic. The way they look out for each other and are friends. Weird, I know.

And this isn't really a relationship thing, per se, but I really love that both Glover and Rosenbaum are both left-handed as are Lionel and Lex. One can say that Lex inherited that from his dad, hee!

• Love 3
On 27/12/2016 at 10:19 PM, rue721 said:

IMO Lana and Lex's relationship actually progressed pretty organically, at least up until the fake!baby showed up and Lionel blackmailed Lana on her wedding day.

Lex was acting during the whole time.So many hints he is actually faking like when in season 5 ep 16 when he tells lana he is sorry for clark and lana break up,who he just ,if u dont remember, tried to split with a hypnotist.I read that the director wanted MR to use his best actor skills when playing "good lex" with lana.It was a lie,a manipulation,a scam.Lex MANIPULATED lana to believe he was good,honest and people betray him cause they dont understand his intentions.He used so much clark to emotionally manipulate lana like anytime lana had doubt lex took out clark to mortify her.He was hiding his real side just as clark did,only difference lex lied like the dog he is,while clark wasnt able to lie like that.He was a totally different person with lana and when she was around.But not because lana made him good,LOL.

Another big hints of how it was all faking,its when lex talk with oliver at the reunion,and lana is there.He is good mannered and polite with ollie,same in that ep when they are at a masked party.But then when lana is not there he treat oliver REALLY badly and even threatened him.That "progression" u talkin about,was all planned by lex,first started to divide and put discord between clark and lana after reckoning,then split them up for real,take advantage of lana,get her to move in,start sex relationship,fake baby and proposal.It was a plan.The horror/thriller tipic song that u can usually heard during lexana scenes says it all. 

REMEMBER LEX IS THE VILLAIN AND HE IS DEVIOUS ABOUT THAT,BUT THE VIEWERS ARE SUPPOSED TO KNOW HE IS FAKING,DONT LET LEX MANIPULATE U TOO,U KNOW WHO HE IS. IF U TRULY BELIEVE THAT ABOUT LEXANA RELATIONSHIP, I HAVE A SAD NEWS FOR U.

Just a quick pshyco analis of lex profile.Obsessive and psycopath.He may rationally think to be a hero,but that is just a cover,what ever he does is just cause benefits him in the end.Like helping lana and beeing his confident for years.He didnt do that out of love,he did that TO BUY HER. Remember reckoning?When lex reproach "after all i have done for you u still chose clark".If he REALLY did all that out of love for lana,he wouldnt reproach,people who reproach may seem generous and good,but they just do that to have influence and power.They buy that.

Speaking of that scene, I thought the coldblooded way he shut all the doors so he could beat her in private was especially disturbing. It made it seem like this wasn't his first rodeo. My mind jumped to that being Lionel's MO, and Lex picking it up from him, but I guess the interpretation could also be that Lex has a history of getting violent with his SOs and has his own little ritual for it. Just really disturbing either way.

He didnt do that cause he was going to hit her.Lex always does that when talking with people,he close em in little space,stand in the way of the exit or simply cut theyr way.Its intimidation.A way to take control.

Plus, I think that Lana liked how supportive Lex was, and Lex liked how wholesomeness Lana was. So I wouldn't say that their whole relationship was built on lies or manipulation. IMO it made sense and was reasonably believable that they slowly went from being business partners to friends to boyfriend/girlfriend.

But I think that Lionel sabotaged Lana and Lex's (burgeoning) relationship when he told Lex that he would never be able to get a girl like Lana to love him. IIRC, Lionel said that Lana would eventually see the "real" Lex, and she would never be able to love that. IMO that's when Lex went from crushing on Lana to fixating on her. And IMO that's also when he stopped being genuine with her and letting their relationship progress naturally, and started trying to manipulate her into getting "trapped" with him.

Lex was supportive just to get her trust,nothing more.I mean their relationship from season 5 to 6.Lana didnt even see lex as a possible partner,he impose himself to her in a very difficult time.

Lex wasnt genuine with her already,lets be real my friend.Lana didnt want to have anything to do with lex after season 4 finale.He forced him self again in her life with lies and manipulation.He used the blackship to lure lana and to have a contact with her.He forced himn self in lana apartment,and starts with manipulatory phrases like "ur not crazy,i believe u,clark doesnt have as much faith as i have in u".He then waited for lana to bring up the spaceship so he could be the white knight that when lana ask for the truth he gave her.BUT the truth is that lex was waiting for lana to bring up that since he was stalled and lana was the only one to have seen it opened.He start deceving her after she cut him out of her life.

Lionel said that in season 5,lex fixated on lana already in season 4.What lionel said it wasnt something lex started to do after lionel told him.He always did that.He buys people,he tries to change what people thinks of him with big gesture,manipulations,lie.He did that with the kents,remember season 3 first ep?He buys the farm,puts the kent name on it,and then ask to be considered a member of the family.He was deceiving and manipulating lana even before lionel  told him that.THATS why lionel told him that phrase.Cause lionel know his son better than anyone else,knows what he wants to do and how he wants to do it.Lionel treated lex the way he needed to.He was trying to repress lex,to make him insecure,so he wouldnt be able to express him self the way he did.Too bad ollie and his friends at excelsior didnt beat lex enough.If they properly bullied him,he would never became the villain he is.

IMO Lex seemed to start going into a tailspin pretty much as soon as he started believing that he and Lana had a real shot. I think that before that, it seemed like they had both just kind of figured they weren't going to get together, and didn't really worry that much about it. I mean, he was dating and even marrying other women before getting together with Lana, and it didn't seem to me like being with Lana instead of those other women was even on his mind during that time. Same for Lana. But IMO as soon as the idea that he and Lana could actually fall in love and be together became a real possibility to him (which, like I said, I think actually became a possibility pretty organically, over the course of a lot of seasons), he started fixating on all the ways that things could go wrong and he could lose her, and trying to engineer everything so that everything would go perfectly forever. Of course that fixation was counterproductive, but...that's sort of the story of Lex's life, so whatever.

Lex pining for lana started in season 3,and he tried everything to control her life,like getting jason fired,or give him a jab to split em up.He wanted to make his move on lana in paris in season 3,but then there was jason.He tried to split them up,but then there was clark,and he successfully split them up in season 5 and have "his chance".He was waiting,clearly,for lana to grew up in age.He never had a lightswitch,"oh maybe there is a real possibility "ecc ecc.HE WAS WAITING FOR THE RIGHT MOMENT TO MAKE HIS MOVE,HE ALWAYS CONSIDERED REAL THE POSSIBILITY TO BE WITH LANA.EVERYTIME HE SAYS LANA DESERVES THE BEST.HE IS IMPLYING HE IS THE BEST.THAT STARTED IN SEASON 3.

Lana may have seen lex as reliable and good friend,but thats it.Friend-zoned.She never considered him as a partner cause of his past with womans and other stuff.In season 5 she actually didnt even trust lex anymore...Then with all the kinds of manipulation he convince her he is "changed" and she defend him with victor stone saying he cant have anything to do with victor experiment...and later we find out lex is the one behind that experiment.The story of lexana relationship: a scam,a deceving,a big manipulation.He didnt engineer everything to go perfect,but TO HAVE HER by his side.He didnt care if she was deeply unhappy or she doesnt love him,as much as she stand near to him.The phrase "if i ever lose u i dont know what i would be capable of",is a implied threat.In phantom,when lana says to lex they need to talk,lex wanted her to wait till he got back home.He thought to somehow convince her to stay,to manipulate her.He wasnt especting that lana would actually have the guts to leave him.Thats why he cloned her,he knew some dayhe would need to replace her.

I could read and answer it all,but it would be pretty much useless.Lex didnt love lana,if he REALLY loved her he wouldnt put her in so much pain.For lex lana was a trophy,just as kal said after crushing the engagement party.I think in lex mind lana was all clark life represented and the only thing he could really steal from him.He loved her with words,but not with facts.He treated her like an object,and thats the way he love lana.He didnt loved lana like a person,but like a "thing" like someone could love his car...he protected her not for her sake,but for him to be able to have her by his side.Thats why lana told him ur not capable of love.Cause he is indeed not capable of really love someone,he treat and love people like object.Lex treated lana in the same exact way lionel treat him.He claims he loves her,just as lionel claims he loves lex.And then put her in pain,with the hypnotis,the WHOLE pregnancy,cause lana was kinda depressed already when she discovers to be pregnant,then she loses the baby.Just like lionel said he loves him,and then treat him like shit or frying his brain.But lionel,with all the rights,hate lex.And i agree with him,if lex was my son i would have beated the hell out of his face with slaps.Only way to deal with losers like that.

Edited by Sirious Dude
On 4/1/2017 at 1:30 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh boo hoo, Lana feels guilty about breaking up with Whitney over a video, yet, they were still writing each other after that, and she even told Clark that they were closer or better friends since the break up, than when they were together. Yet, the minute "Whitney" shows up, and tells her that it was Clark who's jealous of of him, and tried to beat him up, blah, blah, blah, of course she's going to believe Whitney, who she hasn't seen in almost a year, and war/combat can change a person. Of COURSE it's Clark who is the villain of the piece. Just like he was in "Hug." Same thing happens in season four when Jason was fired, and Lana accuses Clark of revealing the relationship. Or maybe it was a later episode, but at the end, when Clark is in the cave and she comes stumbling in, with her crocodile tears and says that she's been a "horrible friend" and is always accusing Clark, Clark should have said, yeah, you are. You know, let her know how she was acting and how she always does this, just like he told her and Chloe about how they were treating him in "Dichotic." But nooooo, he's gotta hug her and tell her she's a gooooood friend, and he's there for her, blah, blah, blah, GAG!

Id like to point out that at that very point of the story clark let lana down like so many times.He even get her out and then dump her for another girl under red k.If clark would have been as reliable during time as whitney may have been,im sure she wouldnt turn on him.Besides when this happens is because lana is talked to do that.Obv the way whitney put it to lana,she believe he is right.And in hug she goes to apolagiaze to clark twice.

Another thing i like to point out is that lana gets defensive about whitney,lex,jason but because they talk her to do that.They victimize themself.But with anyone of this she get defensive when they talk about clark.In visage when tina as whitney accuse of clark being not who he claim to be,with jason when he says about steroid or the stolen stone,lana gets defensive when someone try to accuse clark of something or touch the clark topic.

Clark was the only one to knew about the relationship between jason and lana,and as she said to lex she didnt understand how that was possible,she couldnt believe clark could do that,but she is forced to since he was the only one that knews.

Edited by Sirious Dude

Putting this here, because I don't know where else to post it, since it is behavior that was consistent over seasons 4-7, I think. 

This show was so in love with Lana, and had every single person, be in love with her because she was soooo bootiful, blah, blah, blah; male and female, that it made me sick sometimes, and that Chloe was like the ugly stepsister or homely friend. However.

When we first meet Bart, he's totally into Chloe. I can't recall if he ever saw or was introduced to Lana or not. But. Every time he returned, he was always coming on to Chloe or flirting with her. And I LOVED it. Because even if Chloe wasn't "classically" beautiful, she was very attractive, sexy and actually had a personality and was smart, intelligent.

I literally gagged every time Ryan came on the show, and whenever he saw Lana, it was like someone cast a spell over him or something. Ugh, I can't quite put into words what put me off, but it did.

So I loved that Bart didn't fall under Lana's spell.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I loved that Bart didn't fall under Lana's spell.

I adored that about Bart.  Points to Oliver for also never to my memory showing any interest in Lana.  

For the longest time someone on TWoP posited that Lana had a low level LOVE ME meteor power, something that could explain how people could get so quickly obsessed with her.  Some it hit like a ton of bricks and hence all her stalkers while other just fell under her spell after awhile like her bio dad and Chloe and Martha Kent.  ("I don't know how you did it Lana!")    

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

I started to explain why in the unpopular opinions thread, but Clark x Lois is my ultimate pairing for this series. I think their differences complement each other perfectly and might be the only person around here, though not in other places, who saw a lot of passion and chemistry between them. They are both people who put on fronts for different reasons but at their core they do love and understand each other like no one else. I feel like they challenge each other to be better but don't try to change each other, either. 

I love the friendship between Clark and Chloe but am glad they never became more than that and prefer Chloe once she opens her heart to other people.

I like Lana and agree with the person who said she and Jason had a good chemistry before his true self was revealed but I skip most Clana scenes now.

At first Chloe x Oliver had the feel of writers desperately shoving the two remaining single main characters together, but I grew really fond of them and felt like they had a terrific connection.  

Lois and Lana could have had a very interesting friendship where both learned from each other if the writers had let them. Lana could have encouraged Lois to let herself be softer and Lana could have been inspired to be more direct without worrying about whether everyone will like her. It's a shame that wasn't explored. The Chloe and Lois bond felt forced sometimes, especially since Chloe was often written as just a less world weary version of Lois who happens to be good with computers. 

Clark and Oliver ended up with a really nice friendship. I would have liked to see a less jealous and more alive Jimmy Olsen in their group too. A male character who's so eager, open and emotional could have added a great energy. 

Edited by NorthangerAbby

.Clark wasn't in love with Chloe. He just wasn't. As many young people who are close friends with someone of the opposite sex do, he had moments where he thought he might have more than platonic feelings for her and wondered if he was attracted to her, but she was nearly always the aggressor and always felt so much more than he did or could. Unreciprocated love is hard to go through in life and sometimes hard to watch as a viewer but it's something that many of us can relate to. I guess it's unpopular given the general tenor of these threads to think of Chloe's love for Clark as unreciprocated, but that's how I see it. He has moments when he thinks that he might care for her as more than a friend, but ultimately it can't even be compared to his love for Lana and then Lois. 

Personally, I think what we saw with Lana and Lois was less about love than it was about infatuated obsession and then obeying destiny.  His relationship with Lana and Lois wasn't about mutual respect or trust or even being happy.  Most of the time it was either a fleeting moment or Clark working toward some moment when he'd potentially find happiness.  

With Chloe, I saw a real relationship.  I saw respect, trust, affection, pride, and just a mutual enjoyment of each other in just about any circumstance.  

In regards to their relationship, yes, Chloe was the aggressor even right from the start when she decided they get that first kiss out of the way so they could be friends.  It's in her personality to be more bold, but it's also in her personality to lose courage and hide back behind that cover of friendship.  And eventually, she tried to move on.  Personally, I think just when she decided to try and move on, was when she shouldn't have and if she'd risked being that aggressor again, that Clark would have actually been right there with her regarding his feelings.  Basically, she was ahead of him emotionally, but I do think he was nearly caught up, only for timing issues to get in the way.   So I agree that he wasn't in love with her...but I don't agree why.  I believe the main reason he was never in love with her, was because by the time he would have, he wouldn't let himself go there.

I think that Clark was initially not thinking of her like that but then in season one he suddenly did and I think he would have fallen if everything else hadn't gotten in the way.  But with all that was going on in his life after that tornado siren went off - his dad missing, his secret's exposure being threatened, Lana hurt, Chloe moving away anyway - he wasn't ready to risk adding another change and since Chloe was moving (and they didn't know she'd be back) all it might have done was mess with his existing friendship and add to his stress and so he put Chloe back into the friendship box and that moment passed.  By the next year, their relationship changed and it took years before they got back to the same level of closeness.  

But by season five and through early season six, Clark was looking at Chloe in a new way.  He clearly loved her (as a friend) and more so, relied on her and was even a little in awe of her.  But Clark also IMO thought that he wasn't that much of a catch.   I think he thought that Jimmy as a "normal" guy would ultimately be better for Chloe.  And by that time, and it's a really big thing, Clark also really needed Chloe as his friend and crossing that line would have been a real risk.  

That's part of the "backpocket" status that Clark kept Chloe in.  Not that she was a back up plan, but that he could see it happening, he could see himself falling in love with her...if he let himself.

But 5/6, Clark really relied on Chloe.  He needed her and any risk to their friendship put who he was as a budding hero at risk in addition to his emotional reliance on her. I tend to think though, that had Jimmy not popped up, he would have given in to their closeness and the existing attraction and taken that risk at the start of season six but oops, there's Jimmy and he backs off.  

Eventually his loneliness leads him back to his Lana obsession, but even when they finally got together in season seven, he's already pulling back and protecting his feelings.  He's not as blindly in love with Lana this time.  He's dissatisfied and is sharing the really important parts of his life more with Chloe than Lana and that's before Bizaro took over his life or Brainiac sent him to drown in his guilt when Lana was put in a coma.  

I go back to the start of season 8 when Clark has spent months trying to get back to find Chloe and that hug when he did.  Again, I think Clark could have easily have crossed over from loves her like a friend to being in love with her at that point but I do think he thought she was better off having "normal" in her life rather than the chaos he brought.

This is Clark projecting his desire for normal onto Chloe and his guilt for dragging her in to his mess so deeply (ie Brainiac in her head, getting kidnapped for months, even the meteor infection).  I say this because of that scene when Clark finds out Chloe's engaged.  That is not how someone that is just a friend (or even thinks of someone like family) reacts to finding out their friend is engaged.  On either side.  Both looked heartbroken at what they were giving up.  Clark acts like he wants her to say she's changed her mind and Chloe practically begs him to give her a reason to change it.  But the status quo prevails.

Through out season eight, you really see Clark starting to close off emotionally.  He starts pushing himself to not need Chloe as much on the hero side of things.  He gets more prickly, like he's almost trying to distance himself emotionally as well.  I think all of that goes with the guilt he felt over her having Brainiac in her head.  There was a lot of denial there and he even goes so far as to convince himself that she's better off without being a part of that part of his life at all.  It's like he's giving her up for her own good.  

And then Brainiac takes her over completely and the Legion says Clark has to kill her if he's to save the world. Clark refused and then later Brainiac flat out says he chose Chloe because he knew Clark would never harm him in her skin. (He could have chose Lana but nope, he chose Chloe)  Clark proved Brainiac right, Clark was willing to risk the planet for Chloe.  

And afterwards when she's off dealing with Jimmy and a marriage she doesn't even remember, he's back to his Lana obsession but when it's over, Clark's awkward and distant during the end of Chloe's marriage and then prickly and acting jealous over Davis being around.

Then with Davis, when Chloe left with him to save Clark, I've never seen Clark that upset.  He was jealous and scared and angry but vowed he wouldn't stop until he found her.  I've never seen him lose it like that over Lana or Lois. So I do think that the potential for Clark falling in love with her were right there until the final two seasons when he got a rebooted OMG I love Lois retcon from nowhere.  

I also have a weird theory about the end of season eight but I'm going to take that back over to the Unpopular Opinion (or in this case, an opinion I doubt others have considered, lol)  

• Love 2

clana and clois were the only two romance relationships that were ever gonna work after that your straying to much from the comics i'm all for sticking with the source materials specially with romance relationships lana in the comics was pretty big part of clark life growing up so glad they didn't go with clark and chloe

Comics are a great starting point but after a while, trying to adhere to them is more of a hindrance than a help after the show and the characters start to take on their own life.  Especially when in the case of Lois, her more core comic characteristics didn't come with her introduction to the show.  Or rather, the big stuff like her love of journalism didn't come with her but all her worst characteristics came without also being moderated by her actually being the best and the brightest to back up her "I must be right" attitude.  

Still, I do get the need for Superman to end up with Lois Lane.  But Lois Lane for me was the character, not just a character with the name so that opened up for me a huge storyline.  As long as I got the right feel in the character, I didn't care how they later took care of the name connection.  They even set it up early on about Chloe being just a disguise, the woman of his dreams masquerading as his best friend.  Then in season three the pseudonym reference happened.  Mid season eight the Legion suggests Clark had Chloe change her name for her own protection.  Start of season ten, Chloe Sullivan is erased from all digital records only to come back and save everyone.  They EASILY could have gone a Chloe is actually the Lois Lane of the story route if they needed to satisfy "because comics" while also being true to what Smallville evolved to on its own.  

Missed opportunities.   

• Love 2

I have so many issues with chloe its insane and the whole plot about why he couldn't tell lana his secret got a bit silly \specially in earlier seasons when lana told him if he was infected in someway or different it wouldn't change how she felt and it lois lane was more in love with the blur than clark kent then all of sudden when she found it he was the blur omg i'm really in love with now clark come on now at least Lana feelings felt more real 

5 minutes ago, Froippi said:

I have so many issues with chloe its insane and the whole plot about why he couldn't tell lana his secret got a bit silly \specially in earlier seasons when lana told him if he was infected in someway or different it wouldn't change how she felt and it lois lane was more in love with the blur than clark kent then all of sudden when she found it he was the blur omg i'm really in love with now clark come on now at least Lana feelings felt more real 

also to add to this it felt like lana getting forced into a marriage to portect clark and having to asborb the kryptonite seem she had to sacrifice more than lois i also felt lois was brought to the show way to early

also the whole chloe loving clark i never really bought into then again from everything i read chloe was only made for the tv show and if what i hear is true i got some big issues with that 

Edited by Froippi
12 hours ago, Froippi said:

also the whole chloe loving clark i never really bought into then again from everything i read chloe was only made for the tv show and if what i hear is true i got some big issues with that 

All super hero shows have characters not from the comics.  And if you just wanted the comics to be played out on this show, then Clark and Lana would only have dated for a little bit, because in the comics, Lana and Pete get married; Lex never was in Smallville when Clark was a teenager, Lionel never existed either.

It's perfectly fine if people didn't like or want or didn't buy that Chloe loved Clark or vice versa, but if one is going to say they have issues with characters being on the show that weren't or aren't in the comics, then they shouldn't watch any of the super hero shows. Harley Quinn wasn't a comic character originally-yet after her popularity on the Batman: The Animated Series, she got her own comic and was brought in to the comic world. And now Chloe is also in the comics. At least, that's what I read back on TWoP.

• Love 2
On 2/12/2017 at 0:45 AM, Froippi said:

clana and clois were the only two romance relationships that were ever gonna work after that your straying to much from the comics i'm all for sticking with the source materials specially with romance relationships lana in the comics was pretty big part of clark life growing up so glad they didn't go with clark and chloe

Personally I'm not a supporter of the theory since I always felt Chloe was more of a Lois type, but there were those that thought Chloe was much truer to the Lana Lang of the comic than a generic, yet extremely fickle, pretty girl next door.   

I think the generic supposed niceness of Lana while also never really holding fast to any convictions (even convictions about how much she'd hate anyone connected to the death of her pancaked parents, lol) was why Lana when she was paired with Lex was suddenly more interesting and for me felt more true to her character.  Finally, she got to shed the image of "perfect" that always rang false anyway.  

I think Lex, had he not got so caught up in his fear of actually losing her and gone so dark, could have made Lana the happiest when it comes to either Clark or Lex.  I think he loved more the real Lana while Clark loved the ideal and image he'd created after so many years watching her from afar.  

In the end, I think the bigger reality was that Lana was never going to find happiness with anyone else until she stopped trying to be someone else depending on who she was in a relationship with.  Even her breaking up with Clark was just a bigger part of her plan so she could remake herself as Clark's "perfect" mate.  Only would she have ever found happiness when it was never what she really wanted?

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
On 2/14/2017 at 0:16 PM, BkWurm1 said:

I think Lex, had he not got so caught up in his fear of actually losing her and gone so dark, could have made Lana the happiest when it comes to either Clark or Lex.  I think he loved more the real Lana while Clark loved the ideal and image he'd created after so many years watching her from afar.  

I agree with this and will add that much of the Lex and Lana relationship was just to contrast Clark and Chloe's in Season Five.  I tend to look back and see that season of episodes as a story of two friends attempting to be lovers (Clex) and two lovers (Chlark) being just friends.    

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

I agree with this and will add that much of the Lex and Lana relationship was just to contrast Clark and Chloe's in Season Five.  I tend to look back and see that season of episodes as a story of two friends attempting to be lovers (Clex) and two lovers (Chlark) being just friends.    

Lol.  

They did at the end of season five draw some very clear lines and with whom each would chose sides.  I felt they did another heavy contrast in season seven though that was more just between the loyalties and choices that Lana and Chloe would make.  

In the Unpopular opinion thread you said you felt that if Clark had been able, he would have chosen to be with Lana.  I think that you're partially right.  I think we were shown he would chose to be with Lana, but I also think that we saw in season seven that he wouldn't have kept choosing to be with Lana.  I'm still convinced that had Lana not gotten stuck in a coma and then run off afterwards that she and Clark would have made a mutual decision that they weren't working.  They were THIS CLOSE to that resolution after she fell for Bizarro.  

So even if her power suit hadn't turned her into walking Kryptonite, I don't think they would have lasted.     

• Love 2
17 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Lol.  

They did at the end of season five draw some very clear lines and with whom each would chose sides.  I felt they did another heavy contrast in season seven though that was more just between the loyalties and choices that Lana and Chloe would make.  

In the Unpopular opinion thread you said you felt that if Clark had been able, he would have chosen to be with Lana.  I think that you're partially right.  I think we were shown he would chose to be with Lana, but I also think that we saw in season seven that he wouldn't have kept choosing to be with Lana.  I'm still convinced that had Lana not gotten stuck in a coma and then run off afterwards that she and Clark would have made a mutual decision that they weren't working.  They were THIS CLOSE to that resolution after she fell for Bizarro.  

So even if her power suit hadn't turned her into walking Kryptonite, I don't think they would have lasted.     

True, I also don't think they'd last, but they would have "tried" to stay together because they were now both superpowered and they could be the Dynamic Duo!!!! (insert sarcasm)

Something would eventually happen again and they'd part. But of course, Lex did his part to make sure they wouldn't stay together, so it's all moot. But we both know, that Lois was sloppy seconds, because if not for Herself being filled up with Kryptonite, BDA had decided to be with Herself again.

• Love 1

BWAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!?????????????

Earlier today in the Sponsored Content at the bottom of the page on this site was "The Top 10 couples on Smallville from Best to Worst!" And it had the picture from Season 3's second episode when Herself is begging Clark not to break up with her. I'm laughing because the horse ? that kept bumping Kirsten's shoulder in the gag reel for this episode is right behind her! And all I could think of was the gag reel!????

Of course I didn't click on the link.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!?????????????

Earlier today in the Sponsored Content at the bottom of the page on this site was "The Top 10 couples on Smallville from Best to Worst!" And it had the picture from Season 3's second episode when Herself is begging Clark not to break up with her. I'm laughing because the horse ? that kept bumping Kirsten's shoulder in the gag reel for this episode is right behind her! And all I could think of was the gag reel!????

Of course I didn't click on the link.

We already lived through it once, lol.  

I sort of love that scene since to me it just proved everything that I'd thought about Clark's feelings.  He didn't try to continue that relationship because it was never really real to start with.  And after all the trauma he'd gone through, Lana wasn't what he was interested in dealing with when he finally made it back home.  

1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

I sort of love that scene since to me it just proved everything that I'd thought about Clark's feelings.  He didn't try to continue that relationship because it was never really real to start with.  And after all the trauma he'd gone through, Lana wasn't what he was interested in dealing with when he finally made it back home.  

Right. But we also learned (because he TOLD HER) that although he has feelings for her, he can't be with her, because he doesn't want to hurt her, which is something he knows he always ends up doing. So when Alicia shows up later in the season, and tells her that Clark still has feelings for her, Lana acts as if that's news to her. And in addition to telling him at the end of "Obsession" that Alicia told her that Clark told Alicia "everything" (=sekriths), that he also had feelings for her. Which is such a head desk moment, because the reason they broke up wasn't because he fell out of love with her or didn't have romantic feelings for her any longer. GAH.

Usually the delusion works the other way and they assume he still has feelings when he doesn't.  All I can figure is she couldn't possible imagine anyone not doing whatever it took to be with her if they had feelings so therefore convinced herself that he didn't (because otherwise he'd be with her)  Personally, I don't think Lana was that off.  Clark liked her as the fantasy girl more than the actually girlfriend.  Once he broke up with her, he could go back to the simpler days of liking all these imagined characteristics from afar.  

• Love 2

Lois/Lana: I soo wish they explored a friendship between them more.  Lana could have helped Lois be more honest about her vulnerabilities and maybe Lois could help her bounce back from dating a bad boy.

Lois/Chloe: I love their relationship and wished I saw more of it. I thought the love and support they showed for each other was so sweet. I wanted them to see them hang out and get in trouble together.

Lana/Lex: If Lex wasn’t a manipulative abusive arse towards her, I would have totally liked them as a couple.

Chloe/Pete:  I think Pete got a raw deal the way he was written. I would have actually  like to see him as a ladies man who is driven by distraction by Chloe only to have her never notice his affection.   It would have been so cute.

Clark/Pete: I’m sorry he was dropped so quickly for Lex.  If his character was explored more he could have been the perfect person to pull Clark from his Lana and Lex funk.

Clark/Lex: I love their early friendship so much.  I was so desperately hoping that somehow in universe Lex would be a dark brother figure for Clark.  I wish the series ended with Lex developing a hatred for the Blur, but still congenial and brotherly towards Clark.  

Lois/Lucy: I really wanted to see Lois/Lucy do more sisterly things. Her, Lois. And Chloe could have created such an awesome sisterhood.

Clark/Chloe: I loved their friendship.  The only thing I didn’t like was that Chloe developed feelings for him and held them for years.  While I’m firmly convinced she was him by season six, I was still upset that she spent so much time on a love that was unrequited.  I hate when this is done to female characters in particular because often times on top of the crush the power dynamic is skewed heavily towards the male.   I wanted Chloe to be immune to Clark’s charms  and sarcastically comment on his love life. 

Clark/Lana: While I was more supportive of a Chloe/Clark relationship for the first season, I was grudgingly okay with Clark/Lana up until season four. After that I just wished Clark would fall for   someone else.  Lois, Lori who cares. Anybody but Lana.

Chloe/Jimmy: I like this couple after the initial rough beginning. But I didn’t like his attraction towards Kara. I also didn’t like that he kissed Maxima. That kind of soured me towards the relationship and I found myself agreeing Lois that wasn’t the one for Chloe

Lois/Jimmy: I like how they grew to be friends. I wished he stuck around so they could drive Clark crazy by constantly being in danger/kidnapped/hexed.

Chloe/Davis: I really wanted this to happen. He seemed devoted to her and truly loved her. I thought that it would they could have been a couple that would overcome all the odds. I would even been okay with Clark totally not trusting Davis, and Chloe passionately defending him. I like the fact that Davis struggled against his beast. I really wanted him to be a good guy.

Chloe/Lana: I wished more time was spent focused on this friendship as well.  I wanted Chloe’s genki personality to draw Lana out of her shell.

Lois/Oliver: I like their relationship and absolutely adored their friendship.  Nothing much to say but that. I really liked this version of Oliver, far more so than the current Arrow’s Oliver.  He was like a male version of Lois to me.

Lois/Clark: Love the relationship. My only wish Is that the friendship had more screen time. I love bantering couples.  I’m also thoroughly entertained  with couples who are “hate” first sight.  I like that despite Clark’s get along personality he gave as good as he got. Re-watching their scenes made me appreciate their evolution as a couple. I only wish that a little more time was used to build their blooming relationship before they became a couple.

Chloe/Oliver: I have to watch more scenes with them but I’m fine with them. My only problem  is that Oliver had a previously expressed strong feelings for Lois. I really wanted Chloe to be with someone who saw only her.

• Love 1

Clark and Lana should have officially ended waaaaay before S8, especially since they were going to develop Clark and Lois, anyway. But then I wouldn't get that fucking beautiful scene in Nemesis, so I'm partly lying. I am convinced Clana carried on for so long because of Tom and Kristin's chemistry, though. Like, hot damn. They sold that shit till the end.