Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

• Start Topic

Okay, Okay, everyone is 100% certain that Mark is a creep, but I cannot give up hope on anyone!  I think it is positive that Mark admitted that he is the one with all the baggage.  This could be a step in the right direction, in that he is admitting he knows he is the one with the issues.  Maybe with time he will realize that Nikki is not the ex-wife and he will come around and learn to not be so stingy and defensive.  I think above all Mark is looking for somebody who is completely loyal to him, which is why he fears American "independent" women (I also think this is part of the draw to Asian women, including Kyle's draw to Noon).  Again, in Mark's defense, American culture does "allow" people to easily move on from relationships and situations they find difficult.  This can be good and bad--  I think it is possible that for men who want a partner who will stick by them no matter what, they feel that an Asian is less risk than an American.  I believe that Mark will begin to trust more and more, and might even end up being very generous in the end.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this which really surprises me...

I can't believe when Devar was asked about sending money home he tried to play it off that he was being sarcastic about it!!! How could anyone buy that answer???

I know right-- total lie right there.  

I think Devar's excessive PDA with Melanie was my first clue that he's not into her, but is trying really hard to prove that he is. But I think it's a mutually beneficial relationship, so I don't fault him. I find the PDA gross though.

• Love 6

I'm appalled that you're not appalled! Nikki is younger than Mark's kids that are barely young adults!

Even if Mark treated Nikki like an angel off camera, no person should be treated like he did on camera. They still have arguments about the Ex wife pictures...yea Nikki is really being swept off her feet...

My step children are older than I am. If they are getting paid to act like shit they would do it. Heck I'd do it for 40 grand a episode

My step children are older than I am. If they are getting paid to act like shit they would do it. Heck I'd do it for 40 grand a episode

Unfortunately, none of these couples made anywhere near that much. Last season's couples were paid $2,000 each for the entire season. I expect this season they didn't make a whole lot more.

• Love 8

These couples aren't getting 40k for the series let alone an episode.

• Love 8

I think Devar's excessive PDA with Melanie was my first clue that he's not into her, but is trying really hard to prove that he is. But I think it's a mutually beneficial relationship, so I don't fault him. I find the PDA gross though.

Yes! He was stroking her arm in a really weird way.

• Love 1

Good God...  Hey Specimen, I'm fast approaching my sell-by date and I, as well as many other individuals my age, do not fit into your three or four (I'm sorry five) bitter creep stereotypes. 

Everyone here has trounced well upon his red shirt wearing, folding chair feast throwing, diamonelle gift giving and zebra sheet sleeping ass, but it's difficult to not chime in.  Women are not the problem, Mark... American women aren't the problem... You are.  I try not to judge so harshly right off the bat, but he has given me so many reasons!

I married someone a fair bit older than me and have experienced some rude stares in restaurants.  That's their problem.  They may make incorrect assumptions about my husband or me, but I won't be an ass like Mark and assume they're lonely, jealous, etc...

However, I'm also 35, and went into my relationship as an equal partner.  We both work, we're comfortable in our lives without kids (neither of us could if we wanted to at this point), and I have never been treated in such a cold,  patronizing and dismissive manner by my spouse.  Ever. Mark is a vile pig.  Specimen indeed.

(Edited a hundred times because I just watched and Mark makes me type angrily and carelessly)

Edited by LunchBreak
  • Love 18

I think the big surprise that was pitched was the most unsurprising moment in three seasons. The people who talked of God most are already having a baby, thst was supposed to bring a wow response.

• Love 1

Oh no! There is no crying or talking about her 10 year younger than him parents who gave him their only daughter. That makes him look really bad. That is not the plan!

This. It's not the age difference that bothers me. It's how he treats her in front of cameras and probably behind the scenes. Her crying wasn't part of The Plan or what was rehearsed, and instead of showing an ounce of concern, he virtually ignored it. "Maybe we can spend a month there." No mention of having a wedding there like Caro and Fernando will be doing so that her family and friends can celebrate with them.

Also, when was the reunion filmed, and why did it take the other three that were in diapers so long to meet her? She's been in the States since the summer and he/she said they had just met.

• Love 6

So I spent a little time googling because I just can't believe that there is anything positive in the Mark/Nikki dynamic that would make her stay, and found a couple of things that may factor into it:

Dr. Annalisa Enrile, a Filipino professor in social work at USC and a board member of the Mariposa Center for Change, said these marriages last because of a value in the Philippines called Utang Na Loob, which roughly translates as a debt of gratitude. %u201CThey feel that they own this man something,%u201D Enrile said. %u201CAnd they owe it to him to make the relationship work.%u201D

Another Filipino value called Pakikisama roughly translates to maintaining smooth interpersonal relationships and loyalties, and Dr. Enrile thinks that this cultural norm keeps women from leaving their marriage.

Caveat - I am not Filipina and I cannot confirm that these things are in play with Nikki, but it certainly would seem to be a possibility.

• Love 2

Yes and they looked like the ones with the faux fur inside. I have a pair myself that I wear around the house. Tell your husband they only qualify as old man shoes if they're the corduroy ones lol.

LMAO -- my dad has a pair of the corduroy ones!  He just turned 70!

• Love 2

I don't think anyone has mentioned this which really surprises me...

I can't believe when Devar was asked about sending money home he tried to play it off that he was being sarcastic about it!!! How could anyone buy that answer???

I actually wondered at the time if he was just pulling Bev's leg because of her stank attitude. 

• Love 10

In Mark's defense, American culture does "allow" people to easily move on from relationships and situations they find difficult.  This can be good and bad--  I think it is possible that for men who want a partner who will stick by them no matter what, and they feel that an Asian is less risk than an American.  I believe that Mark will begin to trust more and more, and might even end up being very generous in the end.

Re the bolded part, I think Mark wants someone young and strong so they will be able to lift his saggy ass in and out of bed when he becomes a feeble Specimen. Nikki needs to write up her own little contract for him to sign, stating that when she becomes his nursemaid, she will be well compensated for her efforts, and if he doesn't sign it, he can hire someone while she goes out and enjoys life.

As far as Mark becoming generous in the future, I don't see that ever happening because of his constant reminders to Nikki that he is allowing her to live in HIS house and that everything in the house is HIS. I think Nikki is expected to spend the rest of her life being eternally grateful that the Specimen is, in his words, putting a roof over her head.

• Love 11

he was able plead with Mark to treat Nikki like a daughter.  The Specimen can try to claim there was something lost in translation so as to avoid the obvious incest uncomfortableness, but regardless ... what Nikki's father was asking for is clear - he wanted Mark to commit himself to treasuring Nikki and taking care of her no matter what.  

I could almost hear him mutter "don't say it, don't translate it!"

• Love 6

Mark didn't say anything about 4/5 star restaurants. He said he treated them to roses and 4/5 star CUISINE. Which can only mean one thing......

A portion controlled dinner prepared by Mark, in his the kitschy lair, poorly arranged $10 a dozen bought on a street corner roses as a centerpiece, sitting on a hard backed folding chair surrounded by pictures of he and his ex wife. How could that go wrong?

DID MARK WALK IN AND OUT OF THAT BEACH CHANGING ROOM BAREFOOT????? Ewwwwwwww 

His delusions of his own grandiosity are definitely on a sociopath level. He is Trump w/ less money and more pianos. It fascinates me as much as it appalls me. 

Melanie has gained weight. She is headed for Bev ville.  Her son has a FB account, and he is FB friends w/yup, Danielle Mullins Jbali! I'm judging here. Sorry he's too young to be exposed to that disaster. 

• Love 19

Mark is annoying and weird as it is, but then he has this horrible tendency for everything he says to sound like a lecture. 

He can't answer a question without the desire to turn it into a lesson and self promotion. 

Example (this is made up for the dense people)

"What did you have for breakfast, Mark?"

"Breakfast? Okay, let me tell you about breakfast. I have had breakfast every morning for 40 years and I made sure all my children had breakfast. To this day, my children all have very healthy eating habits. I credit this to my diligence in making sure I ate breakfast, to set the model for my children, and also to monitor my children and insure they did eat a healthy meal. I would recommend this strategy to everyone. Today for example, I had a pancake. I only had one, because of the high calories of pancakes, and you only need some insulin or you feel tired later...." and blah blah blah on and on.

This is hilarious and so true!!  You did leave out the part about: "My ex-wife liked pancakes..." though.

• Love 15

I could go 50/50 on devar being sacarstic during the money comment.  He rarely shows any change in emotion so it's hard to see what he's really thinking and like someone else stated he could have just been messing with Melanie's sisters.  Most likely they were told to bring that up in conversation and Devar thought he would pull one over on them and create more drama. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. 

• Love 2

Mark didn't say anything about 4/5 star restaurants. He said he treated them to roses and 4/5 star CUISINE. Which can only mean one thing......

A portion controlled dinner prepared by Mark, in his the kitschy lair, poorly arranged $10 a dozen bought on a street corner roses as a centerpiece, sitting on a hard backed folding chair surrounded by pictures of he and his ex wife. How could that go wrong?

His delusions of his own grandiosity are definitely on a sociopath level. He is Trump w/ less money and more pianos. It fascinates me as much as it appalls me. 

Melanie has gained weight. She is headed for Bev ville.  Her son has a FB account, and he is FB friends w/yup, Danielle Mullins Jbali! I'm judging here. Sorry he's too young to be exposed to that disaster. 

OMG!  You are probably right.  I had never considered the semantics defense!  Oh, the picture your words paint, I can absolutely see it happening.  And when the women wouldn't return his calls or his offers to check out the zebra he has upstairs he labelled them as fat, bitter and not worthy of his attention.

I wonder if Mel is pregnant?  She seemed very dedicated to fitness.  Either that or she figured she could let herself go now that she is married.  But she better watch out, I don't think Devar is all that into her and as Bev so sagely pointed out all these Jamaican men love to take advantage of white women.....and they live in a town full of white women....

I think it is positive that Mark admitted that he is the one with all the baggage.  This could be a step in the right direction, in that he is admitting he knows he is the one with the issues.

Mark said that he has more baggage only to avoid the real answer to the question of why he would want to marry a 19-year-old. He knew that if he mentioned wanting a young sex object who will cook and clean for him, and not ask many questions, and has not much chance of escaping his fetid grasp, then he might not make it out of the studio alive.

Sadly for us, he was just smart enough to lie.

Edited by jennylauren123
  • Love 6

I think it is positive that Mark admitted that he is the one with all the baggage. 

The baggage is all his, and the pre-nup states Nikki doesn't get any of the baggage if they divorce.  Especially not the carry-on bag he keeps his ex-wife's mummfied head and hands in. 

It could be that Devar was joking about the 90% comment, or it could be that he's terrible at math. 

• Love 14

Lauren and alexi are cute together but I'm not a fan of her being a spoiled girl. (Not a woman imo)

Dewar and what's her name I'm not sure they will last.

The other 3 couples seem good together and I wish them the best.

When it comes to mark and nikki I'm appalled by how many people here disapprove of their age. My husband is 31 years older than I am and we met when I was 20, I see no problem with the age difference as long as they make each other happy. I hope they have people on their life like my hubs and I do that won't judge them and make them feel awkward bc of their age. No I don't like how he treats her but we only see what the TV shows so until she says different I'll have to wish her the best of luck. Older men can be some of the sweetest most loving men. Hopefully she found a good one. And no kids may not be apart of the plan but that can change as it has change with us. And maybe he is worried bc of what happened with his ex my hubs was the same but after a year or two of us dating and then marrying everything we had planned changed. Good luck to them.

Glad everything worked out for you! You do have to wonder if Mark is at least a tiny bit open to having more kids, or he would have simply had a vasectomy, right? I think age differences can be fine but I detest the double standard. I've heard people talking about an age difference between Melanie and Devar, for example, and they're only a few years apart! 

Mark is a different breed of man for sure, and he is a creep imo but I've read post about the age gap should be illegal and how he is "dusty" and I just have to look at my "dusty" husband and thank God we don't have hateful people like that in our life. How inconsiderate! Mark on the other hand should not be judged by age and he is a *insert male body part* but hopefully his love for her will change that.

Eta: people are not what they are made out to be. I'm sure every part of the show and the tell all was scripted. They need ppl like mark to bring the drama

Sorry it quoted my post had to fix that

LOL! My boyfriend is also 57 and certainly not "dusty." But definitely in a completely different phase of life than Nikki. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I don't blame Mark for not wanting to put Nikki's name on his house, etc. Annoying as he is, he has been working hard for 40 years to earn what he owns. I don't think Nikki should be left high and dry in case of his death, but I don't begrudge him for a prenup.

• Love 2

Mark will not have a vasectomy, he will not be able to abide another man (even a doctor!) see or touch his "manly" bits. And a woman doctor? An independent American fat jealous doctor? I don't think so. He'll make sure that birth control is Nikki's responsibility, so he can drone on and on about it, and make her feel like shit if it fails.

• Love 13

Mark will not have a vasectomy, he will not be able to abide another man (even a doctor!) see or touch his "manly" bits. And a woman doctor? An independent American fat jealous doctor? I don't think so. He'll make sure that birth control is Nikki's responsibility, so he can drone on and on about it, and make her feel like shit if it fails.

He's so dense, he probably thinks that having a vasectomy will make him impotent. Then Nikki would certainly leave his ass.

• Love 7

Mark would need to go to a vet, because he would require the tiny instruments needed to work on gerbil sized parts. 

He's so dense, he probably thinks that having a vasectomy will make him impotent. Then Nikki would certainly leave his ass.

I think Nikki would be happy about it.

• Love 8

I fully agree about her son and FB, but weight gain or not I think Melanie looks fine and healthy.

• Love 6

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I don't blame Mark for not wanting to put Nikki's name on his house, etc. Annoying as he is, he has been working hard for 40 years to earn what he owns. I don't think Nikki should be left high and dry in case of his death, but I don't begrudge him for a prenup.

No, I think most of us agree that Mark had the right to protect the assets he's earned pre-Nikki, but our concern was that he made it clear that once their marriage ends, she gets NOTHING! No car, no cash, no furniture, not one little thing--she'll basically be tossed out on her ass with the clothes on her back. He did say any money she makes would be her own--but she can't work yet since she doesn't have a green card, she doesn't have a driver's license to drive to a job or to a college or vocational school, and she has no support system there (no family or friends--Elise, Mark's daughter, is the closest friend she has) to help her get back on her feet.

• Love 14

And what kind of douchebag continually refers to everything as HIS stuff.  Like, we get it.. legally it is yours.  But when you make the choice to share your life with someone, it becomes their home too.  And most men would understand that a woman moving into an already established home would want to put her stamp on it in some way.  Otherwise this isn't a partnership and a decision to share a life.  Nikki is just another bought and paid for possession like all of his other things.

• Love 15

She even referred to it as Mark's home. Legally it is his, but damn. I refuse to be married to somebody and treated like a guest in a home that has ultimately become mine by way of marriage/arrangement. We see how he reacted when she touched and rearranged his books. I guarantee she won't be allowed to paint, buy curtains, change the zebra sheets, or anything else. She's been there at least 4 months, and it's still his home/under his roof.

• Love 11

LMAO -- my dad has a pair of the corduroy ones! He just turned 70!

Ha! I'm sure your dad looks very dapper in his and is not at all a specimen.

Even if Nikki were to get her green card, it's still no walk in the park to find employment. Many employers, at least in this area, still require U.S. citizenship because they don't want to pay for sponsorship.

• Love 2

Melanie has always been pudgy.  Weird how the foreigners don't "work out" and are more in shape than the Americans who do.  Explain it!

Edited by PamPote65

I think it would be hilarious if Mark didn't know the divorce laws in his state and it was really a community property state (ie, at the time of divorce everything is split in half).  

That would be slim to none though since he's already gone through it once, unless they lived in a different state back then.

Nikki could have countered with a settlement for herself if they divorce in the pre-nup and she didn't (that we know of).  That's her own fault.

I think it would be hilarious if Mark didn't know the divorce laws in his state and it was really a community property state (ie, at the time of divorce everything is split in half).  

That would be slim to none though since he's already gone through it once, unless they lived in a different state back then.

Nikki could have countered with a settlement for herself if they divorce in the pre-nup and she didn't (that we know of).  That's her own fault.

Nikki is 19, doesn't seem very well-informed, and I suspect family law is quite different in the Philippines. In fact, I don't think divorce is even legal and if you need to end a marriage, you have to get an annulment. Did Mark pay for her to have her own lawyer in the episode? 

• Love 2

Nikki is 19, doesn't seem very well-informed, and I suspect family law is quite different in the Philippines. In fact, I don't think divorce is even legal and if you need to end a marriage, you have to get an annulment. Did Mark pay for her to have her own lawyer in the episode?

Mark told her that she had to meet with an independent lawyer (not the one who drew up the prenup) but I don't know if that lawyer was paid by Mark or by TLC. That lawyer told her NOT to sign it because it left her with absolutely nothing, but he didn't recommend any changes to counter to Mark to see if he'd agree to it. In the end, Mark just told her to sign it so they could "move forward" or else she'd be sent back (to Philippines)

• Love 2

I swooned over Loren's wedding dress. I thought it was absolutely beautiful and looked extremely well made and expensive. It was gorgeous to me. 

I was surprised by it. I expected a whole lot more drama, but it was very classy. I didn't care for the super deep V in front, but it was lovely as well as her make up and hair. And I'm not a fan of hers.

• Love 6

No, I think most of us agree that Mark had the right to protect the assets he's earned pre-Nikki, but our concern was that he made it clear that once their marriage ends, she gets NOTHING! No car, no cash, no furniture, not one little thing--she'll basically be tossed out on her ass with the clothes on her back. He did say any money she makes would be her own--but she can't work yet since she doesn't have a green card, she doesn't have a driver's license to drive to a job or to a college or vocational school, and she has no support system there (no family or friends--Elise, Mark's daughter, is the closest friend she has) to help her get back on her feet.

I agree, I don't begrudge him not wanting to put her name on the house.  I get it.  In California, she would never have any right to it anyways, because its his separate property that he brought into the marriage (I'm assuming its paid for).  But to be so mean spirited as to basically give her nothing in the event that they break up is just...mean spirited.  She is going to bring value to his life and so he should want to protect her.  Instead this is a means to control her, because he can decide how much he spends on her upkeep and she gets a roof over her head as long as she will put up with whatever abuse he wishes to dole out.

But strangely, that house is so representative of Mark.  On the outside it looks like a nice, impressive, big house.  But on the inside its a dusty mausoleum with track lighting, folding chairs and zebra sheets.  On the outside, Mark looks like a good guy, he has a business, he works hard, he raised 4 children in diapers, he is financially responsible, he talks like he has some sense.  But when you get inside, or dig a little deeper, his soul is a dusty controlling, manipulative mausoleum with track lighting and zebra sheets.

• Love 19

Referring to the age difference. I know love is blind and there are couples like this that work.   40ish years is a whole lot in itself, but in this case that difference becomes an abyss because she is 19, pretty much right out of high school. An age that she is not even thinking about having kids  and yet she has to make that decision for the rest of her life. If you told me 35 and 70, 25 and 60, at least you are an adult, you have more perspective. Your call.

Nobody is "picking on" Mark for the age difference, it is the imbalance of power, the delusion, the taking advantage of. The things we know she will be missing, not only becoming a mother, but building a home together with someone instead of being put on one that is already established and full of rules, being equal to her husband, etc.

• Love 8

Even if Nikki were to get her green card, it's still no walk in the park to find employment. Many employers, at least in this area, still require U.S. citizenship because they don't want to pay for sponsorship.

You don't need sponsorship if you're on a green card though, you can get a job as easily as a US citizen can, provided you are qualified for said job. You have most rights a US citizen would have, except for no voting rights, can't get on medicaid for a certain amount of years, etc. 

• Love 2

Okay, Okay, everyone is 100% certain that Mark is a creep, but I cannot give up hope on anyone!  I think it is positive that Mark admitted that he is the one with all the baggage.  This could be a step in the right direction, in that he is admitting he knows he is the one with the issues.  Maybe with time he will realize that Nikki is not the ex-wife and he will come around and learn to not be so stingy and defensive.  I think above all Mark is looking for somebody who is completely loyal to him, which is why he fears American "independent" women (I also think this is part of the draw to Asian women, including Kyle's draw to Noon).  Again, in Mark's defense, American culture does "allow" people to easily move on from relationships and situations they find difficult.  This can be good and bad--  I think it is possible that for men who want a partner who will stick by them no matter what, they feel that an Asian is less risk than an American.  I believe that Mark will begin to trust more and more, and might even end up being very generous in the end.

I have read several times over the years on the Internet articles by men on the desirability of Asian woman....particularly for a traditional role.  that's not the same as speechless sex toy, but more a desire for a SAH wife and mother (or just wife in Mark's case).  

Unfortunately, none of these couples made anywhere near that much. Last season's couples were paid $2,000 each for the entire season. I expect this season they didn't make a whole lot more.

wow, that's all?  I thought it was much, much more.  What's the point then?

Granny58, reality TV is extremely cheap to produce. That's why there's so much of it on the air. No studio, no sets to build...they get a handful of advertisers (which is why you see the same commercials over and over) and they don't have a lot of money to pay their stars. The people go on reality TV in the hopes of becoming famous enough to get their own show, promote their business, etc. Then you have couples who find out it's not all it's cracked up to be and they disappear from the public eye.

• Love 6

you can get a job as easily as a US citizen can, provided you are qualified for said job.

Not true for many federal government contractors. They specifically require U. S. citizenship. And the federal government will only employ non-citizens if no U.S. citizen was found to be qualified. I know this because my co-worker was offered a position on a different contract and then was denied the job because he has only a green card. Same thing happened to a Canadian friend of mine. Edited by charmed1
  • Love 1

Melanie has always been pudgy.  Weird how the foreigners don't "work out" and are more in shape than the Americans who do.  Explain it!

Simply being "thin" does not mean they are in good cardiovascular shape or are healthy. She looks normal and healthy to me.

• Love 7

Mark told her that she had to meet with an independent lawyer (not the one who drew up the prenup) but I don't know if that lawyer was paid by Mark or by TLC. That lawyer told her NOT to sign it because it left her with absolutely nothing, but he didn't recommend any changes to counter to Mark to see if he'd agree to it. In the end, Mark just told her to sign it so they could "move forward" or else she'd be sent back (to Philippines)

I doubt Mark could afford that lawyer.  I think?  It may have been a "free" consultation - which is why he told her what was wrong with it and NOT to sign.  You want more?  Like notations, suggestions, and modifications - you retain the attorney and pay.  

I bet TLC found the attorney, but that no one paid him.  

• Love 1

I think she looks healthy and aok. And potentially a person who has lost a lot of weight, as others have also noted. She was presented on the show as a person who is very fit, and fitness is important to her which is why I noted she looked heavier. She looks great, just an observation. I cannot explain the phenomenon you describe but I totally get it! :-)

• Love 2