Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought he was laid back thru whole thing. My husband came in to a situation with two boys one who at the time was 7 and the other 2. He took it all in strid and raised them as bis own. Their dad disappeared, nevir paid child support. Both boys at 16 and 21 changed their names to the man that that raised them and has been in there lives, other one left 10 years ago.... Just shows you step dad can be your world

How about those Zebra sheets? Mark, you wild man, you.

Mark is selling the story that the wife just changed overnight and took off. We're definitely not getting the whole story there. She stuck around long enough to have four children with him, so she put up with him for a good long time. If she really took off, never to be seen again (which he seems to be implying) I can't imagine why the kids would want photos of her around the house. It wouldn't surprise me to find out she lives just down the road and still sees the kids all the time.

After the fourth baby, she found the key to her basement prison and ran for her life? My theory is that she's a lesbian and moved in with her longtime secret girlfriend. "she changed. RADICALLY". heh heh.

• Love 7

I thought he was laid back thru whole thing. My husband came in to a situation with two boys one who at the time was 7 and the other 2. He took it all in strid and raised them as bis own. Their dad disappeared, nevir paid child support. Both boys at 16 and 21 changed their names to the man that that raised them and has been in there lives, other one left 10 years ago.... Just shows you step dad can be your world

My husband stepped in when my son was 14, so I get the whole stepdad thing.

Your laid back = my he's acting totally inappropriately, I think :)  That is, if your post was in reference to me saying he's skeevy. I can't wait to see her sister cross examine him.

After the fourth baby, she found the key to her basement prison and ran for her life? My theory is that she's a lesbian and moved in with her longtime secret girlfriend. "she changed. RADICALLY". heh heh.

After being married to him? I could totally buy that.

• Love 2

Regarding all the hugging, I've learned from watching The Amazing Race that people in other countries are not as hug-happy as we are. Most don't have any physical contact with strangers they just met, aside from a polite nod hello and perhaps a handshake.

My parents are from a small country with a heavy British influence.  We rarely hug, we all love each other, but hugging is very new and very rare in our family.  My parents barely seem to understand the point.  I wouldn't hug a stranger I just met, and I appreciate my personal space around everyone, especially people I don't know.

• Love 2

We have beaches in PA, but they're all attached to lakes.  I was wondering what airport they flew into.  I watched the road signs, and I'm guessing it was BWI.  I was thinking maybe ABE or HIA, but it's usually cheaper to fly in/out of BWI, and that would be the closest that would also be out of state (as they passed a "Welcome To Pennsylvania" sign.  And I didn't think Devar was skeevy.  I think he's not used to being around kids, and doesn't know when to turn it off.  Growing up, my mom and dad were friends with a couple who were the same age.  They didn't have kids - they weren't able - and were rarely around kids, and they had no filter that told them when to cut the inappropriate talk.  I'm in the same boat - I can't have kids - but we're around kids frequently, so we know when to cut it out.

As for Uber-Mormon, I thnk he was trying to impress his family back home (or mission sponsors), and wrote some possibly exaggerated letters about his progress converting an ultra-sinful woman.  Then he fell for her, and is backtracking.  At any rate, his family makes my skin crawl, and it's upsetting to think that poor girl (who is adorable) thinks that she was/is a bad person for past mistakes.  And I'm wondering how they feel about the tattoo on her wrist......  Someone noted prior that his family had wine glasses on the table at dinner, but they were full of water.  They must want to be fancy and formal, but not compromise their beliefs.

I have no feelings one way or the other about Kyle and Noon.  I think she'll be unhappy about his living situation.  And his working situation.  We will have to wait and see.

What can be said about Mark and Nikki that hasn't already been said about Woody Allen?  I too would like to know his ex-wife's side.  I don't know if leaving the photos out was a control ploy, or if up until recently, he was convinced his ex would come back someday.  Either way, it's not good.

I don't "get" Alexi and Loren (or however it's spelled).  Something there is just "off".

• Love 3

I haven't read everyone's responses, and I just got caught up on this episode last night. I think there are too many couples again this season. I don't know why they cram in 6 couples. I'm certain that Mark is the new Danielle. He really grosses me out. I get the sense that his first wife left fleeing him and I get the vibe he has a bit of a control freak attitude

I can't figure out if Alex and the Mormom kid is it Josh are really in to each other. I think he might be gay, not that there is anything wrong with that. He gives me that vibe, and I don't think she's finished with her clubbing.

I wasn't in to Alexi's response about if it doesn't work out it will be their choice. It was a weird take. This relationship feels sincere but I also get the sense that it won't last.

I hope Noon is ok living with roaches. Kyle's eyes look like he's constantly stoned.

I was totally skeptical of Devar but I think he might be a decent dude. Or at least he's good at playing the game. I just wish his future wife wasn't a 50 foot beauty.  He could have certainly found a better US specimen 

• Love 1

I'm not one to take things posted on social media as gospel, but my questions about Mark's credibility were reinforced by the photo incident. "I want photos of her in the house because the kids are here." Right, so why is the photo still there when the kids are grown up and moved out? And notice how Nikki doesn't even look at him when she says she loves him. It's completely different body language from the other couples.

And there may be no beaches in the part of PA that Melanie and Devar are in, but they're probably a few hours' drive from Delaware or the Jersey Shore.

And there may be no beaches in the part of PA that Melanie and Devar are in, but they're probably a few hours' drive from Delaware or the Jersey Shore.

No beaches attached to an ocean in PA...period.  Just beaches attached to lakes.

They're about an hour south of me.  It takes me 5 hours to get to Ocean City MD, and about that long to get to Rehoboth Beach DE.  It takes between 3-4 hours to get to Atlantic City or Wildwood NJ.

• Love 1

What frustrates me about this show is that the true stories would be interesting enough, without the production company editing it to make everyone look bad. Melanie traveling to Jamaica 10 times over 16 months since they met, with them not being together for longer than 10 days at a time is just as snarkworthy as the edit of them only being together for 10 days, but without the creepiness factor of thinking she is bringing a man she only knew for 10 days into a home with her son.

The reality of what these couples go through to get the K-1 Visas is interesting on it's own. The expense, time, interviews, etc., and we would still have stuff to snark on. This being the third season, the couples had to know that they would be edited in the poorest way possible, and they still signed up, so I don't have any sympathy, I just wish we would be shown some truth.

I think Mark and Nikki are both playing each other, like Danielle and Mohamed of Season 2; that Loren is auditioning for her own reality television show, but otherwise is into Alexei; and that Josh and Aleksandria would probably be best friends if they didn't try and add intimacy to their relationship. No real opinions on the others yet.

• Love 3
♪ "Come with me and you'll be in a wooooorld of quickie immigration" ♫

This, out loud, is everything. 

I think Josh not correcting Aleksandra is less about him believing she was bad and more about him allowing for language barriers.  I got the impression she meant she was doing bad things, not that she is/was an actual bad person.  This is the only couple where I don't like the fiance more than I like the American.  His family, though - good luck, girl.  Was Grandma standing in front of a bookshelf she'd painted on the wall? 

Shockingly, no recoil from Nikki around Mark- and actually, it seemed she was more forward in her physical affection towards him than he was in his affection towards her.  Bothered me that the sign said "Welcome home, Nikki Nikki" and he read it with only one "Nikki."  If you're going to double down on names, you need to commit to that mess. 

Kyle's eyes at the airport were less "I'm crying because I'm in love" red, more like "Patrick Dempsey's minor character Jimbo in Outbreak right before he succumbs to the Motaba Virus" red.  Maybe take it easy on the weed, Kyle. 

outbreak-8a1.png?w=618

• Love 7

Can we also stop pretending that the photo was of "the moment you met your first wife," Mark? 

No one takes photos the moment they meet someone, and if they do, they aren't wearing a black and white polka-dot shirt that matches her black and white polka-dot skirt. 

• Love 13

Nikki meets Mark's daughter, who's older than she is; Noon doesn't like Kyle's house; Melanie's sister wants to know what Devar's intentions are; Loren and Alexei receive news about his visa status. Also: a profile of Fernando and Carolina.

Does Aleksandra have a tattoo? Also I'm curious if she was religious before, in orthodox faith or no religion. And if we will see her parents, judging by the daughter I bet Aleksandra parents are very jolly people.

Yep.  It's on her wrist.  I mentioned it in another thread, wondering what his uber-Mormon parents think.

Can we also stop pretending that the photo was of "the moment you met your first wife," Mark?

No one takes photos the moment they meet someone, and if they do, they aren't wearing a black and white polka-dot shirt that matches her black and white polka-dot skirt.

Unless he met her by mail or online also and set up the wardrobe for quick recognition at the airport. If he did meet with mail order bride in mind the primary evidence used to be pictures and personal services from drivers to photographers are cheap in the Philippines.
  • Love 3

Does Aleksandra have a tattoo? Also I'm curious if she was religious before, in orthodox faith or no religion. And if we will see her parents, judging by the daughter I bet Aleksandra parents are very jolly people.

They're certainly conveying the impression that she doesn't have a close relationship with her family. We've heard that she was living alone in Prague for years as a student and she made some comment about there being no family photos at home in Russia. Which struck me as really weird. My Russian friends (who would probably be 10 years or so younger than Aleksandra's parents) plaster photos of their kids everywhere, so I'm not sure that's a cultural difference.

No beaches attached to an ocean in PA...period.  Just beaches attached to lakes.

No oceans, but there are beaches and (astonishingly) a surfing "scene" on Lake Erie. Likely not Devar's cup of tea, though.

• Love 1

Dirk's dismay and his wife's silent misery looked genuine to me. It's not OK to them that other people drink -- they think it's all alcoholism and immoral. It made sense to me that Grandma would be nicer if she's just a kinder person.

Loren is pretty clueless for not realizing how different it is to live with your OWN parents versus some hostile strangers. There's a many-centuries-long Jewish tradition of sons-in-law moving in with the in-laws, and an equally long tradition of jokes about how the mother-in-law tortures and abuses him...

• Love 1

My husband stepped in when my son was 14, so I get the whole stepdad thing.

Your laid back = my he's acting totally inappropriately, I think :)  That is, if your post was in reference to me saying he's skeevy. I can't wait to see her sister cross examine him.

After being married to him? I could totally buy that.

Just watching him on tv is making me even more of a lesbian than I already am, which I didn't even know was possible.

• Love 5

I think having Mark's photo with his ex in his bedroom was such a bizarre move that I just can't take him seriously after that point.

I think Mark fancies himself as some whiz at playing psychological mind games.  I can't recall exactly what he said about the pictures, but it left me with the impression that leaving them out was deliberate -- he wanted Nikki to see it, either because he has a sick fascination to hurt people, or because it would make him feel "manly" to see Nikki upset over seeing it, and her asking him to take it down. 

I would love to spend 1/2 hour in his mind, to see how it works.

• Love 4

I think Mark fancies himself as some whiz at playing psychological mind games.  I can't recall exactly what he said about the pictures, but it left me with the impression that leaving them out was deliberate -- he wanted Nikki to see it, either because he has a sick fascination to hurt people, or because it would make him feel "manly" to see Nikki upset over seeing it, and her asking him to take it down. 

Yuck -- his mind is probably full of barely legal girls and how he can bamboozle them into bed.

But seriously, I think you're right, someone posted a clip of an interview with him and Nikki for the show in the Media Links forum and he tells this story about how he gave Nikki a choice......I don't even think I can do it justice, but it speaks to your point about how he thinks he is some psychological mastermind.

• Love 1

Just watched this episode. I like Josh and Alexandra and hope they do well. Mark and Nikki is a completely different story. Nikki's repeated statement of how much she liked the house leads me to believe that she is so into it for the American lifestyle. There was one point when Mark was talking and Nikki kissed him-in my mind it was to make him stop talking. He seems like he thinks he is controlling her, but in actuality I think she is going to be controlling him.

• Love 7

Mark had it all planned out before he skipped to his car repeating "chocolates and roses."

1. Freshen up. 2. Spray a few squirts of the famous Specimen cologne around the room. 3. Fluff the pillows & sweep out the crumbs under the zebra sheets. 4. Down a little blue pill.

• Love 4

Fernando admits on camera, in front of millions of viewers, that he texted other women while he was with Carolina. Girl.... you've got that and his mother to deal with. No green card is worth it. I cannot see him being faithful to her, or anyone.

Mark talks to his fiance and his daughter as if he's teaching a class of 5th graders. "OK...I am going to fix a meal now....you two sit here and talk....and try to find something in common....until I return....understood?"

Any idea why Mark's daughter Elise dyes her hair gray?

Loren not only has vocal fry, she has vocal cry fry.

Poor, poor Noon.... honey, not all homes in New Orleans are overrun with "bug" and naked roommates. Did y'all see the dead bug on the top of the refrigerator door when he opened it? That's in there with the food, baby!! I can almost see one of them crawling out of the egg carton. Kyle is a stoner, you deserve better, Noon. She's not a partier, he is, therefore I think this is doomed-couch-city. Of all the people coming over, I feel the most sorry for Noon. I don't want to see the girl wind up miserable and homesick.

Beverly is one opinionated sister, isn't she? And Melanie's vocal fry is a family trait, apparently. That whole scene had to be scripted, my god.. or that sister is one of the most hateful people in PA. Yeah, let's bring up sexually transmitted diseases over dinner. Beverly's husband looked uncomfortable as hell, I bet he has that constipated look on his face a lot.

• Love 14

Poor Noon.  Run, girl, run. 

I felt bad for Devar when he tried to make conversation with Melanie's brother in-law and he wasn't very receptive.  At least Hunter seems to like him. 

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 2

How did I just discover this show?? This is the first episode I've seen.

Noon actually seems very sweet - Kyle seems off. Bourbon Street would be a pretty crazy place in which to try and acclimate to America.

I don't have any words for Mark. Creepy.

Since this is the first show I've seen I kept thinking that Melanie's husband must have died - she (the show?) seemed to be implying he had no male figure in his life...yet I read in another thread that she and his dad have shared custody. WTF.

OK, I'm off to catch up on this show...hooked.

OH! ETA: Didn't Fernando seem to have a little smirk when talking about previously cheating on his wife? He seems to think he has mad game.

Edited by ExplainItAgain
  • Love 2

I think Devar can handle Beverly. Managing people like that is a survival skill in the hospitality industry. 

Mark sounds like a fifth grade soccer coach, and I apologize to all coaches for the comparison. What's with the "take one for the team" stuff? He's talking to his daughter and future wife, for heaven's sake! 

Fernando's mother will never, ever set him free. There's a reason he's still living at home. 

• Love 4

During all the preview teasers leading up to the season when they showed Bev grilling Devar, I always assumed she was either Melanie's mother or aunt. Turns out she is her sister. Just damn!! The non-reaction/reaction of Bev and her husband when Devar and Mel kissed was umm... something.  

Funny how genetic works. I think Mel's son looks more like her sister Bev than he does his own mother.  

I don't notice Mel's vocal fry. It is Loren's that is like nails on a chalkboard. Alexei is cute but I don't love his voice either.  NOT HIS ACCENT. His voice has that congested nasally thing going on.

I thought Mark was gonna leave teeth/dentures on that mustard packet he was trying to open.

If I was Mark's daughter I don't think I would have kept down my egg rolls when he pretty much implied they slept together by saying they held each other and watched the sunrise. 

Fernando - just no. He introduces and describes himself as surprisingly a ladies man even though he admits that looks like he would not, but  you know he has done well for himself. Dude won't be faithful. He strikes me as a chubster always on the look out for a better dime piece (i.e. a perfect 10) because he somehow deserves it. Cheated on his first wife; met his fiancee while on a date with another woman; has since cheated on current fiancee. I also think that he and his family seem to look down on his fiancee as some kind of lesser because she is from Columbia. I just sense some real shade.  I didn't catch what country Fernando's family hails from though.

Kyle's parental relationship is just ... odd. That house doesn't need a woman's touch - It needs an exterminator's wand and tent. 

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 10

Fernando admits on camera, in front of millions of viewers, that he texted other women while he was with Carolina.

He also admitted he met her, and exchanged phone numbers, while he was on a date with another woman.

How you got him is how you'll lose him.

• Love 5

I am calling BS on TLC with Kyle's apartment. Yes, it's a shithole, but even the most unaware idiot guy realizes that you don't bring your fiance to an apartment covered in roaches. My guess is that they "encouraged" him not to clean up to get Noon's reaction. Same with immediately taking her down to Bourbon Street. Wouldn't you normally take someone, especially someone who has never been to the US to a nicer part of town, somewhere scenic or even just around your neighborhood? Welcome to America, where everyone pees in the street and gets drunk. I have to believe that TLC had a role in that. 

Mark's daughter looks like Reese Witherspoon. OMG, what was Mark expecting? The red polo makes another appearance! I am so tired of seeing him shirtless. And did he really buy takeout Chinese? LOL.

Loren did not bug this ep. 

Hunter is such a sweet kid and it seems like he and Devar are good together. Devar and Mel have ZERO chemistry, OTOH. Patiently waiting for the shit to hit the fan. 

Oh, Fernando, you are such a playa! You  and your man boobs do so well with the ladies that you need to go to Colombia to find one, When he said that he was traveling to Colombia frequently and he was on a "date" and his fiance was on a "date" when they met, I knew that he was probably using one of those travel services that set men up with dates and she was one of the women who go to the meet and greet parties. How much of a player can you be when you need to use one of those services? Mom's already not happy and the fiance isn't even there yet. 

• Love 10

2. Spray a few squirts of the famous Specimen cologne around the room.

5ded1bb9ea55c634f3a779f0d333ead2.jpg

The repeating of "chocolates and roses" was so sad.  Either he can't remember things so good without repeating them, or he wanted to make sure his grand gesture (of the most ordinary idea of romance on Earth) wasn't too subtle that we didn't notice.  Not impressed, Mark. 

• Love 4

Oh, Fernando, you are such a playa! You  and your man boobs do so well with the ladies that you need to go to Colombia to find one, When he said that he was traveling to Colombia frequently and he was on a "date" and his fiance was on a "date" when they met, I knew that he was probably using one of those travel services that set men up with dates and she was one of the women who go to the meet and greet parties. How much of a player can you be when you need to use one of those services? Mom's already not happy and the fiance isn't even there yet. 

I'm so glad I'm not the only one thinking this. He obviously has a good income that he can hop a flight to Columbia at the drop of a hat. But him characterizing the country as squalid and poor shows his ignorance. He was probably just looking at the women, didn't bother to figure out it's one of the most prosperous countries in South America. Ranked #3 in South America (behind Brazil and Argentina), #29 in the world by GDP.

His mother needs to shut her trap. She and her husband are living in their son's home, probably rent-free, so she has NO say in who he brings into his house.

• Love 9