Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Cover

I was wondering this, too. It's not as if the agency has to specifically be the FBI for the story to work.
But then you wouldn't get the catchy show title of "Quantico".

You could use the title, but you'd have to explain why Quantico =/= FBI. That's probably more trouble that it's worth.

Alex's mother is an idiot. She caved because she saw Alex hit Simon? Woman, Alex had a gun, if she were a real terrorist she would have blown his head off. What a dummy.

Seriously. Way to sell out your kid, lady.

I would perhaps feel sorry for Vasquez if she displayed any qualities other than being the show's nasty witch.

But...but...now we know why she's so nasty! She's in an abusive relationship and can't see her daughter! *rme*

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

You know in the old days J Egar Hoover had to approve the script if a TV or movie wanted to use the FBI. 

That's back when everyone new the FBI was the American Gestapo.  They still are, of course, but they have better PR now.

• Love 2

I don't know -- I don't find it all that different from one of the particularly over-the-top seasons of 24, where Jack Bauer was the only one who knew what was happening and the rest of CTU were a bunch of morons. This actually has season 1 24 fingerprints, with the "Who is the terrorist"/"Who is the mole" plot.

They also seem to be going towards the 'miracle healing time' Tony had, when he was shot in the neck, almost died and 3 episodes later was wearing a band-aid. Carsex guy looked dead in the photo in ep.1, surgery and hospital in ep.2, and is up in a sling in ep.3, I'm sure the band-aid is coming.

A Mary Sue is a character that can do everything and do it well, usually they are also universally liked, but in this instance someone obviously does not like Alex.

Efram Zimbalist Jr. would be so unhappy.

I actually thought this several times already.

ETA:

I missed the part where . Vasquez was complaining about not seeing her child. I didn't hear her say that. Who was taking care of her kid during those 5 months? They wouldn't bring her to visit? After the first few weeks trainees have most weekends free. Spouses and families often come visit and stay at nearby hotels. The trainees go and stay with them there.

She wasn't 'complaining' she was full out sobbing and almost unrecognizable, she was begging her husband? to be able to see or talk to her daughter and he was refusing flat out.

Edited by dgpolo
  • Love 1

Does he have sole legal custody and a restraining order? I cannot reconcile the aggressively boastful and hostile bitch we saw in Episode 2 with a decision to NOT hop a flight home, put hubby in traction, and see her daughter whenever she wants to.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 3

She wasn't 'complaining' she was full out sobbing and almost unrecognizable, she was begging her husband? to be able to see or talk to her daughter and he was refusing flat out.

I don't know how I missed that. I'll have to go back and watch again. Was it when they were working on the profiles?

I don't know how I missed that. I'll have to go back and watch again. Was it when they were working on the profiles?

It was right after Nimah (a twin anyway) told her something like -it doesn't matter if you beat me here, I still have a family to go home to, what do you have-

• Love 1

The beginning scenes were so high school. That is, in addition to the glances and the hijinx, it literally looked like a high school only with more prettiness.

I liked Simon's job description - "I handle their tech".

Ditto on false dichotomy re hero/abuser father, and Alex's mom rolling too easily.

Re Shaw's angry kid in the pokey, didn't Lt Van Buren also have an angry kid in jail? Two occasions of strong black female with same backstory do not a trope make, but really, since they always have to give characters some sad/tough background, the acceptable options are few. So carefully chosen. White female detectives/cops often were rape victims whereas of course the male cops were always veterans of whatever war was going on at the time. And the Hispanic woman is separated from her kid. Failing that, drinking or of course, gambling. It's neat how each has one and there's no overlap.

Since can't trust anybody, the plot is boring. Or rather, pointless. The whodunit aspect is not interesting - it doesn't matter who the perp is since we don't care about them. This show along with Blindspot both have glamorous female leads stuck trying to carry a show burdened by an incoherent/preposterous script. It's not enough.

• Love 2
It's completely normal for Alex to be conflicted about killing her father.  But she'd be conflicted because sometimes he was nice to her and she killed him, not because she found out that he was a "hero."

I thought this was so dumb.  It's like the writers can't comprehend that a human being is complex.  I just wanted someone to say: "Alex, your dad could save hundreds of lives, but if he terrorized you and your mother at home, you did nothing wrong in stopping that." 

This show along with Blindspot both have glamorous female leads stuck trying to carry a show burdened by an incoherent/preposterous script. It's not enough.

Both shows try to throw everything at us, but the mysteries and the main characters aren't interesting or written well enough for that.

• Love 1

This show is alright provided you don't take it too seriously but it does seem like this terrorist plot is just a bag of cliches so far.

Simon continues to fascinate him because he's the only character that does seem to be genuinely unpredictable about everything.

I still can't shake off the vibe that none of the trainees are terrorists though and that it will be someone else.

Alex's backstory is decent enough but it's not compelling me as much as the show wants it to. I kind of prefer the twins and Shelby a little more.

Other than that, it's not bad but not completely keeping me on board, 7/10

• Love 3

Simon remains the only interesting and likable character on this show. (On a shallow note, he looks much better with the hipster glasses. I wish he could have kept wearing them after Quantico.) The twins plot is kind of intriguing, but it's not enough to keep me around the entire season.

Honestly, Simon was the only one who treated that stupid exercise the way everyone else should have. He got reprimanded for being "selfish" and going against his "friends," but he was working with the information (Information, by the way, that was given to him by one of the head people of the FBI.) that if he didn't rat on 3 people, then 10 recruits would leave. I don't care how "noble" Alex was being by getting everyone to stand together and not turn on each other, the fact remains that 7 innocent and potentially very capable recruits could have been cut if they followed Alex's plan. It doesn't matter that the person running the exercise never had any intention of cutting anyone, the important thing is that the recruits thought that was going to happen. So why is Simon selfish for wanting only 3 people cut instead of 10? Wouldn't he actually be looking out for the greater good of his class by wanting as many people to stick around as possible? Isn't that the less selfish option? What if one of those 7 people could have ended up being an important FBI agent who solved the next big crisis? By following Alex's Kumbaya approach, that person would never have the chance to become that hero because Alex didn't want anyone to be a "snitch."

So stupid. I think I can only last a few more episodes of this before I can't take the idiocy any longer. I'm kind of hoping they just kill off Simon at this point because he's the only character I have any interest in watching.

• Love 2

Not sure if this is the topic for this, but all the talk of, and the search for, the 'terrorist' is strangely lacking in context. Typically such acts have a political motivation, that is announced after the fact. 'We have done this act to strike a blow for X in their noble struggle against Y' sort of thing. It's not just a matter of whether the perpetrator escapes, it's a matter of understanding the larger picture too. It shouldn't just be a whodunit that focuses on 'who among these half dozen regular characters is the terrorist', as if it were a game of Clue. There isn't just one 'terrorist', there was a team, and they had a political grievance that they wished to publicize. We see none of that.

• Love 3

So stupid. I think I can only last a few more episodes of this before I can't take the idiocy any longer.

This was the last episode for me. I'm glad for the pool scene. It was the best the show has done so far in terms of eye candy, and it also told me quite clearly that I should only keep watching if pure fan service is enough. Pre-internet, it might have been. These days I can ogle plenty of pretty without wasting 40 minutes on drivel. Maybe someone will even upload selected scenes of Quantico eye candy on youtube.

Not to mention the pathetic fight choreography - sparring in glasses, really?

If he didn't have contacts, he should have been wearing protective goggles or something.

There's a hilarious shot of how bad some of the fight choreography is when Miranda and Liam are overlooking the recruits. If you look at some of the background extras, their punches are nowhere close to hitting each other and someone attempts a head kick and misses by a mile.

• Love 1

Not sure if this is the topic for this, but all the talk of, and the search for, the 'terrorist' is strangely lacking in context. Typically such acts have a political motivation, that is announced after the fact. 'We have done this act to strike a blow for X in their noble struggle against Y' sort of thing. It's not just a matter of whether the perpetrator escapes, it's a matter of understanding the larger picture too. It shouldn't just be a whodunit that focuses on 'who among these half dozen regular characters is the terrorist', as if it were a game of Clue. There isn't just one 'terrorist', there was a team, and they had a political grievance that they wished to publicize. We see none of that.

How much time has passed between the attack and where we are now?  I get the impression that the FBI still has no idea who is behind it other than Alex, so they are still investigating and it has only been about 24 hours.  Maybe that part is still coming.

Only one thought/question ran through my mind the entire episode - what was up with Miranda on the job in that Bright Green dress with her hair teased out?   I mean it was quite a different look.  Usually Alex distracts me by her beauty but this week I kept looking at Miranda like Who is this lady?  and where has she been hiding? 

I think they showed those silly headkicks because it's something that willowy Johanna Braddy can do. I doubt they actually encourage that kind of first-year tae kwon do stuff but those with skinny upper bodies are going to reveal weakness doing more realistic close body work.

• Love 1
Not sure if this is the topic for this, but all the talk of, and the search for, the 'terrorist' is strangely lacking in context.

Alex was sent to live in India for ten years and was MIA for one of those years. They haven't come right out and said she went rogue for that year, but her mom didn't drop that nugget for nothing.

I can see Agent Dime Eyes (hee) being the person behind it because his career has stalled. The only reason he's in charge of the bombing investigation because he knows Alex.

Edited by dubbel zout
Only one thought/question ran through my mind the entire episode - what was up with Miranda on the job in that Bright Green dress with her hair teased out?   I mean it was quite a different look.  Usually Alex distracts me by her beauty but this week I kept looking at Miranda like Who is this lady?  and where has she been hiding?

I thought her look was entirely wrong for her particular job.  I would think she would want a look that was more authoritative and professional, rather than looking like she was the hostess at an upscale restaurant.

A Mary Sue is a character that can do everything and do it well, usually they are also universally liked, but in this instance someone obviously does not like Alex.

I think this definition is a touch narrow. A Mary Sue doesn't have to do everything and do it well, nor do they have to be universally liked. I say it's more likely that Mary Sues are wish fulfillment characters, or characters that tend to bend the logic of everything around them just so they can be viewed in a positive light. Alex definitely fits this criteria. On the other hand, there's been characters that are legitimately good at almost everything that I don't think are obvious Sues.

Alex is the bestest agent to ever agent. Even when she's wrong she somehow manages to be right. She's the first agent in history to get the exercise right, even though the criteria of the exercise was flawed. She's right even when she's rebelling against the assignment. On the occasion she doesn't choose to go along with it, that's when you're supposed to not go along with it. She's the only one that can catch the terrorist, it doesn't matter that Booth should clear her so the FBI can actually devote resources towards catching the real terrorist, she somehow functions better alone and with less support. But at the same time she's the best team player to ever team player.

It's not that she's good at everything. She could have a laundry list of weaknesses longer than her legs, but it's the fact that she's actually an impossibility. The things she's good at, she's impossibly good at, in a way that's completely inimitable and without any logical basis, based on nothing more than her hunch or intuition. She's supposed to be the best and correct just because the authors want us to think so.

I would perhaps feel sorry for Vasquez if she displayed any qualities other than being the show's nasty witch.  She has been completely nasty in every single scene.  She isn't nice to anybody and hasn't shown any redeeming qualities whatsoever.  I actually laughed in a Nelson Muntz "har har" way when she was shown crying about her daughter.  Because she probably deserves it.

She's shown to be one of the few people that actually dislikes Alex. Which is enough to make me like her.

• Love 2

I am not liking the flashback back and forth stuff. Seriously who vetted this group of trainees, were they trying to find every person in the country with secrets.

It is overkill, in each episode I expect someone to open a closet and a bunch of actual skeletons come falling out!

There's a hilarious shot of how bad some of the fight choreography is when Miranda and Liam are overlooking the recruits. If you look at some of the background extras, their punches are nowhere close to hitting each other and someone attempts a head kick and misses by a mile.

They are trainees right? Maybe the bad fighting is supposed to be intentional?

Alex is the bestest agent to ever agent. Even when she's wrong she somehow manages to be right. She's the first agent in history to get the exercise right, even though the criteria of the exercise was flawed. She's right even when she's rebelling against the assignment. On the occasion she doesn't choose to go along with it, that's when you're supposed to not go along with it. She's the only one that can catch the terrorist, it doesn't matter that Booth should clear her so the FBI can actually devote resources towards catching the real terrorist, she somehow functions better alone and with less support. But at the same time she's the best team player to ever team player.

I think that's kind of the point though. She's supposed to be the 'best agent ever' to make it (1) plausible that she can evade the FBI for a while (2) more of a betrayal when their best agent is a terrorist (3) plausible that she could infiltrate the FBI and carry off a successful bombing. Basically, Alex is awesome because the story they are telling wouldn't be possible if she were just run of the mill agent. This story is not about some average guy who slipped under everyone's radar, it can't be because that average guy also has to be talented enough to outsmart them all. Alex, if she's genuine, has no reason to hide her light under a bushel. 

Additionally I think Alex is plenty flawed. She thinks she has good instincts, and she does to some extent, but she has a blindspot about people she trusts, and she's wonderfully arrogant. And it's her arrogance that is proving to be her downfall. 

On another note. I think it is the nice twin who left because the mean twin didn't want to be there, but was telling the nice twin that the nice twin was holding the mean twin back. That's why the nice twin's note was telling the mean twin 'see how well you do without me'. 

• Love 1
I would perhaps feel sorry for Vasquez if she displayed any qualities other than being the show's nasty witch.  She has been completely nasty in every single scene.  She isn't nice to anybody and hasn't shown any redeeming qualities whatsoever.  I actually laughed in a Nelson Muntz "har har" way when she was shown crying about her daughter.  Because she probably deserves it.

I thought it was weird that Fake Glasses was given a demerit for turning against his classmates by voting people out, while apparently no one batted an eye at Vasquez abandoning her partner in the pool during the team building exercise. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 4

I just know this show is sticking around for multiple seasons. I saw high hopes for this show, but now I'm just thisclose to quitting it. Yet, I know in two years' time, I'm going to still see recaps of the show and stupid me will be too curious and will start watching again. Plus, Simon, Nimah and her sister, as well as Shelby are keeping me around a little bit longer. But if everyone's going to have the BIGGEST.SECRET.EVER to throw them on the suspect list, and if we're going to have twists just for the sake of twists, I'm going to have to turn my brain off. It's not a realistic show in any way, shape or form. 

• Love 1

Chopra cannot carry this show. Her acting is not good enough.

I totally agree.  It especially shows when the actor is supposed to be excited or happy or triumphant (which is like all of the time because the character's just so awesome all of the time).  And in my opinion, she doesn't have the charisma to pull of a lead role either.  If she did, I don't think so many people would be bothered by the mary sue stuff going on.   

• Love 1

I think that's kind of the point though. She's supposed to be the 'best agent ever' to make it (1) plausible that she can evade the FBI for a while (2) more of a betrayal when their best agent is a terrorist (3) plausible that she could infiltrate the FBI and carry off a successful bombing. Basically, Alex is awesome because the story they are telling wouldn't be possible if she were just run of the mill agent. This story is not about some average guy who slipped under everyone's radar, it can't be because that average guy also has to be talented enough to outsmart them all. Alex, if she's genuine, has no reason to hide her light under a bushel. 

The show does a pretty poor job of this if this is the point. And if Alex is supposed to be the 'best agent ever' in the FBI less than six months out of training, it's a completely mind-boggling premise to begin with. And if Alex is the best agent ever in order to evade the FBI, than what would the terrorist (assuming non-Alex) be? Someone who was smart enough and capable enough to enter the FBI academy and likely graduate out of it while being a terrorist before they even began. If that's their premise, clearly outsmarting the FBI is not supposed to be too hard.

I agree she has flaws, but the way she bends the logic and rules of the show as she goes along (in order to be viewed as the most awesome ever) is what makes her a Sue. Plenty of 'flawed' characters can still come off as Mary Sue.

• Love 2

The very presence of Ramirez and her detractors ensure that she's not a Mary Sue actually, IMO. Mary Sue's are universally loved and the ones who don't love her are usually evil e.g. Lana Lang. Alex Parrish may be awesome but she's no 'Lana Lang'.

• Love 2

You only have to look at the diversity, or lack there of, among the male cast to know it not a Shondaland show.

It's a wannabe show that read the Shonda Rhimes playbook, which is why some people get it mixed up.

• Love 1

You only have to look at the diversity, or lack there of, among the male cast to know it not a Shondaland show.

Two out of five proclaim themselves to be gay. That's already statistically more diverse than most! (In the five I am counting AgentCougartown, the two analysts, Agent Carsex, and Simon. There are technically two more, if you count the FBI agent who arrested Alex in the first ep, and the Agent's son who is in prison.)

• Love 1
It's a wannabe show that read the Shonda Rhimes playbook,

This is the truth. I have my issues w/Shondaland, but it irritates me how badly this show reads the Shondaland playbook and botches the execution.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

This is the truth. I have my issues w/Shondaland, but it irritates me how badly this show reads the Shondaland playbook and botches the execution.

Exactly, it's like they watched some TGIT promos and then used the Quantico setting for it.

• Love 1

It's absolutely hilarious that each man Alex has reached out to for help "helps" her by making he look more guilty.

"i'll have to tell them you shot me".

"You need to beat me up for the camera to make it look like I helped you under duress". 

The stupid, it burns. And I'm losing patience with this show.

• Love 5

It's absolutely hilarious that each man Alex has reached out to for help "helps" her by making he look more guilty.

"You need to beat me up for the camera to make it look like I helped you under duress". 

Next week the twins insist that she plant a bomb in order to cover for them. The episode title could be "The Accidental Terrorist".

• Love 5

I can see how they're going to take up at least a season on this with this level of stupidity and incompetence from the characters.

• Love 1

The very presence of Ramirez and her detractors ensure that she's not a Mary Sue actually, IMO. Mary Sue's are universally loved and the ones who don't love her are usually evil e.g. Lana Lang. Alex Parrish may be awesome but she's no 'Lana Lang'.

The reason I can't really buy this is that any writer can simply write someone as disliking their blatant Mary Sues and it would somehow make that character a non-Sue. Such a simplistic rubric can't really be applied, IMO. Lana Lang is one character that comes across as a Sue, but it does not mean every other Mary Sue has to be in her image.

And truthfully, is Vazquez given any redeeming qualities to make her a fully fledged, interesting character? She seems like a two-dimensional witch whose main purpose is to try to (and usually fail) one-up Alex. There's no aspect of her character that's yet introduced that round her into a character that we're supposed to root for and see as cool. She also was not even given a reason to have a rivalry/dislike of Alex. She (quite literally) appeared out of thin air in episode 2 and started shadowing Alex because apparently Alex is the best—as if you can clearly tell by the second episode—and she wants to one-up her. It wasn't like Alex actually did something to her that legitimately earned her ire (oh no, that would make her in the wrong), she just creates jealous wannabes with her mere presence.

Regardless, I'm not about to belabor the point, but I find Alex's perfectness really distracting from the show and it really prevents a lot of the supporting (and more interesting, IMO) characters the presence they deserve.

Edited by egnever

To me Vazquez makes Alex even more of a Mary Sue because her only purpose, her only characteristic, is to hate on Alex. If a more established, or liked character hated Alex, that would be different. If they gave Alex a reason for being so much better at everything than everybody, that might help. If she'd grown up knowing her dad was in the FBI and he had been drilling her her whole life that could help make her less the Impossible Girl. But no, she's just so naturally gifted at everything she does. At least Shelby is only the greatest at shooting. None of the rest of them seem to have a "thing" they are best at. It's basically Shelby's really good at shooting and Alex is best at pretty much everything else.

It's a typical problem with almost every show. The main character is the bestest, specialist little snowflake in all the world. It's an easy trap to fall into. It doesn't help that she's so special CougarTown has pretty much been targeting her since she showed up at Quantico, probably before.

I don't find Alex' character all that interesting or charismatic, but she sure is pretty to look at. If not for the hair I probably wouldn't like the character at all. But that hair is mesmerizing. haha

• Love 1
It's basically Shelby's really good at shooting and Alex is best at pretty much everything else.

I think Alex is still the best at shooting—didn't she get praise for her perfect score at the range? Shelby's a good shot because she's from Texas. (Right?) No stereotyping thing; no, siree.

• Love 1

I think Alex is still the best at shooting—didn't she get praise for her perfect score at the range? Shelby's a good shot because she's from Texas. (Right?) No stereotyping thing; no, siree.

Shelby' s from Georgia.

(I'm behind because I"m watching this on abc's site and they don't post the newest ones for a week or something.)

Alex sure looks guilty, what with running, and playing along with attacking her friend on camera, etc. Wouldn't it have made more sense for her to stay in custody, plead innocent, and get her lawyer to look for clues like the lack of a scar on "her" fingerprints? 

I think in the first episode Miranda convinced her to run by telling her that if she stayed in custody she'd never get out alive - does this version of the FBI kill people in custody real quick, or something?

I don't see how this show can possibly sustain a whole season let alone a second - is she going to be on the run forever? Even if she somehow clears her name, she's been burned as any kind of undercover agent. 

Edited by LeGrandElephant

I don't see how this show can possibly sustain a whole season let alone a second - is she going to be on the run forever? Even if she somehow clears her name, she's been burned as any kind of undercover agent. 

She can always be a regular FBI investigator .   Though this show seems to have forgotten that most FBI agents are detectives not spies or commandos.

• Love 2