Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Pastry

• Start Topic

With only six bakers left in the tent the stakes are getting higher and this week they face pastry.

The remaining bakers bring the old fashioned suet pudding bang up to date, banishing nightmares of stodgy school dinners for good with their range of creative signature suet puds, from 'spotted dick with a kick' to fig roly-poly. Delving further into the history of suet takes us to the Isle of Mull, where the clootie dumpling has been at the heart of the community for centuries.

The technical challenge this week proves to be hell on earth, as the bakers are set one of Mary's choux pastry recipes and they must make eight perfect religieuse. These are delicate choux buns filled with crème patissiere, topped with shining ganache and balanced delicately one on top of the other.

As they reach the end of their pastry marathon, the bakers reach the showstopper and must make three different types of perfectly puffed pastries. One type must be filled, another must be iced and the third is up to them. From palmiers to cream horns, they have just four hours to impress the judges. On your marks...get set...BAKE!

This show is just so pretty to look at. All of it. The scenery is luscious. The drawings of the bakes are lovely. The food shots....oh they are so tempting. And Paul's eyes are just so blue. Seriously though, it is so beautifully shot. I have to watch in HD because it's all just a feast for the eyes.

And yay to an all female top 5. That's kind of cool. I'm sad to see Glen go but there was really no other option. All the bakers did pretty well this time around.

One thing I learned from this show. I will never, ever, ever make puff pastry. That looks like a LOT of work.

• Love 10

Frances' hair actually touched her Figgy Roll-y Poly! Then came endless shots of her hair dangling over her pastries as she laminated, piped, and finished. Ew.

Ruby pulled her hair back this week, but winced when her Plum Jam Roly Poly was cut. The judges loved it—which is what matters. (I wonder whether she truly held her tongue all three times, or the editing monkeys chose not to include it?)

There were at least two bizarro moments: Paul liked Glenn's boozy sauce but Mary didn't. And Beca won a technical challenge (religieuse) whilst Christine came in last.

• Love 5

This show is just so pretty to look at. All of it. The scenery is luscious. The drawings of the bakes are lovely. The food shots....oh they are so tempting. And Paul's eyes are just so blue. Seriously though, it is so beautifully shot. I have to watch in HD because it's all just a feast for the eyes.

And yay to an all female top 5. That's kind of cool. I'm sad to see Glen go but there was really no other option. All the bakers did pretty well this time around.

One thing I learned from this show. I will never, ever, ever make puff pastry. That looks like a LOT of work.

Yes to all of this.

I've heard a lot of television chefs say it's not worth the effort of making puff pastry - might as well buy it as there are good quality ones on the market and the effort is astronomical.  I believe this includes Martha Stewart and since that woman makes eeeevvvverrrryyythng herself, that carries a lot of weight with me.  Some things are just not worth the effort.  The only thing to make sure is that it's not high in trans-fats.  Pre-made puff pastry is a big offender in trans-fat.

It had to be Glenn, which makes me sad, but it was the right choice.  I will miss him. 

I'm through with Ruby and her wincing, apologies, etc.  I don't hate her in the least but I don't want to see her win.  Although it was cute that she spent the week playing with her new cat Rupert rather than practicing her baking.

I was surprised that Kimberley did so poorly on the technical.  Her eclair nuns didn't look like that were that bad.  I was glad Beca placed first in the technical, though, because she's Welsh and I am of Welsh ancestry, and the more I see of her the more I really like her.  I hope she's wrong about the atmosphere changing, however.  I don't want to see it getting all competitive and cutthroat.  Because that would make it like any stupid cooking competition on US television.

• Love 6

I actually made a Spotted Dick once, while on an International foods kick. I think it's one of those dishes that you have to be born and bred in England to appreciate.

I was impressed that the "puds" all came out so well, though. 

I have not had success with choux pastry, but have only tried it once or twice. And I have never tried making my own puff pastry, though i have used frozen. I have seen it made on so many cooking shows, that I'm sure i could tackle it, but seeing all of that butter in person might scare me to death. Yes, it's all there in the frozen product..you just don't see it! 

All of the flavor combinations these contestants come up with, would never occur to me in a million years. Chocolate and raspberry is about as exotic as i get, dessert wise. I am constantly impressed week after week, with how inventive these people, who are not professional pastry chefs, can be.

Sorry to see Glenn go, but he dodged a bullet last week and it was his time. This is not the time to experiment with a new way to make puff pastry!

The final challenge was exceptionally challenging...everybody was totally wrung out by the end. 

Still rooting for Ruby and Kimberly!

Edited by Jodithgrace
  • Love 6

I was glad Beca placed first in the technical, though, because she's Welsh and I am of Welsh ancestry, and the more I see of her the more I really like her.  I hope she's wrong about the atmosphere changing, however.  I don't want to see it getting all competitive and cutthroat.  

I'm a quarter Welsh if you go back far enough, and though I'm not under any illusion that this gives me any kinship with all Welsh people, I've noticed that her sense of humor is like mine. (As is Glenn's in a different way.) I especially enjoy her dry minimalist comments about the Technical instructions, which she has done more than once. "It says "make the crème pat'." Perfect pause. "Helpful."

I didn't see her reference to changed atmosphere as having any dire cutthroat meaning. It seemed a part-joking, part-serious reference to the fact (it happens in every season) that when we got down to this small a number, everyone's attitude about doing all this for a lark morphs into "Oh my... I could actually win this."

Maybe my standards are too low, but I've never found choux pastry to be terribly hard, compared to almost any piecrust. Just follow the instructions, keeping an eye on not letting it get too wet or dry, and it works. My only problem is that my piping skills are terrible, so I try to make the shapes another way.

• Love 5

I've never found choux pastry to be terribly hard

I totally agree - so much easier than piecrust - when they were piping it out I kept wanting to shout Julia says wet a knife.

I like Beca too, I liked she made a savory filling for her suet pudding - I've had bacon and onion roly-poly pudding and it's delicious - and she seems more down to earth than Kimberly, Frances and Ruby. Tho I loved Ruby's crazy cat lady comment, and calling for Mel to tell her to get a grip.  I agree about Frances practically merging into her bakes, not just her hair, she sticks her face right into everything. 

I've had Napoleons with fresh fruit, I thought that comment from Mary was strange. I think she is hard on Christine. 

Poor Glen, such a sweet person, there was no need for Hollywood to gloat when his predictions of doom came true. 

It felt a little different this week, a bit less kind and a bit more business. 

• Love 3

Was really annoyed at Paul's criticism of Glen's puff pastry, it's a technique from Pierre Hermé, who is a lot more well known than Paul Hollywood. I've made it and it's amazing. Now why Glen had such poor time management is the question, but it wasn't because of his recipe.

I am so amused at how into this show my husband is, who refuses to watch any reality TV. He was critiquing their choux paste (he's never made it!). I guess he pays more attention to me in the kitchen than I thought.

Now I have to make eclairs this week, this show kills me with cravings.

• Love 7

The suet puddings (which didn’t look like puddings at all to me) sounded disgusting, but looked delicious

I didn’t understand the technical bake at all until everybody started assembling them. First, I didn’t know if they were “nun” or “none” buns, & I didn’t think either one made sense. Second, when everybody took the buns out of the oven, it looked like no one was able to get the size consistent. It wasn’t until everybody started putting them together, that I realized it was “nun”, & they were stacked so that some of the buns were supposed to be smaller.

I thought everybody’s show stoppers were a mess, nothing looked good to me.

I knew last week that this week was Glenn’s last week. He was barely hanging on, but I'll miss him.

• Love 2

The suet thing just made me cringe everytime they said the word.  As a non-Brit and not very adventurous baker, I never heard of suet as a pastry foundation (lard, shortenings like Crisco are what I know).  All I can think of when I hear suet is the the bridfeeders we used to make in GIrl Scouts every winter to hang in our yards.  I know it isn't the same thing, but I kept imagining birdseed and feathers enveloped in those bakes and little birdy talons landing on them to peck away.

I was very impressed with Becca's savory suet creation.  How did she get all that meat & veg to STAY PUT when sliced?  I expected a meat slide when her crust retaining wall was breached. 

Also..."spotted dick" makes me giggle like a 12 yr old boy.  I thought Christine's looked the best and one of the few I woud try.  Although I might choke on it from laughing at the idea that I was eating "spotted dick". 

Bye Glenn.  Your humor will be missed!  If he is as fun in his classroom as he was on thie show, his students are very lucky! 

Kimberley was almost a nonentitiy this week.  I hope she rallies and finishes on top.  She & Becca are my favorites to win (but like every season of this awesome show, I love all of them!)

• Love 6

Now I have to make eclairs this week, this show kills me with cravings.

When should I show up on your doorstep?

The suet thing just made me cringe everytime they said the word.  As a non-Brit and not very adventurous baker, I never heard of suet as a pastry foundation (lard, shortenings like Crisco are what I know).  All I can think of when I hear suet is the the bridfeeders we used to make in GIrl Scouts every winter to hang in our yards.  I know it isn't the same thing, but I kept imagining birdseed and feathers enveloped in those bakes and little birdy talons landing on them to peck away.

I was very impressed with Becca's savory suet creation.  How did she get all that meat & veg to STAY PUT when sliced?  I expected a meat slide when her crust retaining wall was breached. 

Also..."spotted dick" makes me giggle like a 12 yr old boy.  I thought Christine's looked the best and one of the few I woud try.  Although I might choke on it from laughing at the idea that I was eating "spotted dick". 

Bye Glenn.  Your humor will be missed!  If he is as fun in his classroom as he was on thie show, his students are very lucky! 

Kimberley was almost a nonentitiy this week.  I hope she rallies and finishes on top.  She & Becca are my favorites to win (but like every season of this awesome show, I love all of them!)

I cringed too whenever they said suet.  And I too giggled at spotted dick!

Although Glenn was the right call to go this week, I will miss him greatly.  And since I think his first two bakes this week turned out pretty well, I am glad for him.

The atmosphere does seem different - not more competitive, but just less light hearted.

• Love 5

I thought it was interesting that the suet pudding could be basically anything -- pie, roll, baked, steamed, etc. I guess the suet (or faux-suet) is the thing!

There were at least two bizarro moments: Paul liked Glenn's boozy sauce but Mary didn't. 

That was so funny! And helped by the editors who made sure we remembered that Mary likes booze and Paul doesn't. 

Maybe my standards are too low, but I've never found choux pastry to be terribly hard, compared to almost any piecrust. Just follow the instructions, keeping an eye on not letting it get too wet or dry, and it works. My only problem is that my piping skills are terrible, so I try to make the shapes another way.

I'm with you (although my piping is fine), and was starting to wonder if it's genetic or something, because cream puffs and eclairs are the classic fancy dessert in my family. I made a croquembouche last Christmas which was fantastic, if I do say so myself! 

Ha!

• Love 2

I totally want to try making those nun things. It's been a long time since I've made choux dough, but I didn't find it too hard to make. It's cream pat that gives me fits. 

The hardest thing I've ever made was a chocolate espresso dacquoise. It took two days and was amazing, but I doubt I'll ever make it again. I just wanted to say I'd done it once.

I'll miss Glenn but he really couldn't keep up with the level of the other ladies at this point.

• Love 1

I just came to this show the last episode.  it is a thousand times better than any US cooking competition.  No product placement! No prepared products! Actually MAKING puff pastry and phyllo from scratch! And an honest to goodness technical challenge where everybody has to follow the same recipe and they are judged by a uniform standard rather than who has the most compelling sob story. Not that I'll ever make any of these (although I've always wanted to try choux since I've always heard it's fairly easy).  But did I read correctly that these are not professionally trained pastry chefs?  All the more amazing.  I honestly don't dislike any of the remaining contestants.  It was absolutely clear to me who would be out this week though.  Glenn's puff pastry didn't puff at all.

• Love 14

I know it's really snarky of me, but I did smirk when Kimberley said that choux pastry is really simple and then she was in the bottom half.  I think the last time I made choux pastry was when I was a pre-teen with my grandma, but I think I'm going to try again when I visit my family for Christmas.  My brother took over the family "cream puff" duties, but he sticks strictly to how Grandma would do it (whipped cream filling, tub o' chocolate frosting), and I want to try a few things on guinea pigs who won't complain too much.  I do agree with those above that it's simpler than pie crust!  Maybe my strong preference of choux over boring crust factors in...  

I'll miss Glenn, but it was definitely his turn to go.  I was quite impressed by his spur of the moment corkscrews to hide the missing chunks from his suet pudding though.

• Love 2

I just came to this show the last episode.  it is a thousand times better than any US cooking competition.  No product placement! No prepared products! Actually MAKING puff pastry and phyllo from scratch! And an honest to goodness technical challenge where everybody has to follow the same recipe and they are judged by a uniform standard rather than who has the most compelling sob story. Not that I'll ever make any of these (although I've always wanted to try choux since I've always heard it's fairly easy).  But did I read correctly that these are not professionally trained pastry chefs?

Yep, it's a rule, no professional chefs allowed.   Many have been baking since childhood, some learned from their moms or other older relatives or friends; but none of them have any professional training or credentials.  As a matter of fact, the show is filmed on weekends and the contestants go back to their regular lives during the week.   For example,  Ruby is a student who took exams between shows a couple weeks ago and Glenn teaches school.  A contestant from earlier in the season is an engineer, Becca is an Army wife, Frances is a clothing designer.  For me, it really adds to the charm of the show that these are 'regular' people who took up baking for the love of it.

• Love 10

The suet puddings (which didn’t look like puddings at all to me) sounded disgusting, but looked delicious

I didn’t understand the technical bake at all until everybody started assembling them. First, I didn’t know if they were “nun” or “none” buns

"Pudding" has a much broader definition in the UK than in the US: It applies to molded or shaped items like these, and more generically yet, to all desserts. In the US, it means only something smooth and mousselike.

As for the nun/none distinction, its French name "religieuse," which they used a lot, could help (religieuse = religious woman = nun).

• Love 3

So we had spotted dicks and nuns with the runs! :-) Suet is what I put out for the birds in the winter. I was hoping someone would make a "drowned baby" which was Capt. Jack Aubrey's fave pudding.

Sorry to see Glenn go. :-(

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3
I thought everybody’s show stoppers were a mess, nothing looked good to me.

I really think that the time constraints for this one were too stringent.  I really hoped to see some amazing results but everybody's turned out rather, well, messy.  Another hour would have probably given them time for some show stoppers that were gorgeous.  That's what I tune in to see.

• Love 6

I really think that the time constraints for this one were too stringent.

I think you're right.  Even before Glen's reverse pastry surprise, Paul seemed to think his offerings were on the simple side - and Glen still had time issues.  Working with those crispy mille foiles (is that the same as the Napoleon?) in a time crunch was disastrous for a lot of the bakers.

I loved the fact that all six of them did marvelous suet puddings.  (although the very thought of them makes me queasy)  It was nice to see them all proud of their creations.

• Love 2

I never knew that there are so many kinds of suet puddings.  My only exposure has been to plum pudding at Christmas.  I made on every holiday for years but I was the only one who liked it so I finally gave up and quit doing it.

Glenn had a poor week followed by a bad week so it was obvious that he'd be the one eliminated but I hated to see him go.  I really liked him. 

• Love 4

Working with those crispy mille foiles (is that the same as the Napoleon?) 

Yes, a mille-feuille is a Napoleon by any other name (that last phrase is a favorite of Kimberley's -- she said her suet pudding was a spotted dick by any other name, and she also used it in reference to Chelsea buns; she likes her Shakespeare!).

• Love 3

I only missed the first couple of episodes this season, but I am way impressed!  Every week, these mostly-novices turn out the most intricate, and delicious delights!  I think this week was the first time I wasn't openly drooling at the TV (suet...yeesh) But the handmade phyllo looked wonderful!  My claim to fame is my pie crust (mom's recipe, and mixed in a food processor) and my persimmon pudding.  I'm rooting for Kimberley with her pretty smile, and Beca, she is a great cook too.

• Love 2

Oops I think I came off abrupt because I was multitasking.  I apologize!  I'm intrigued by persimmon pudding now.

I have a particular fondness for shows that highlight skilled and experienced individuals who don't do those things professionally.  Christine's experience making Spotted Dick (teehee I'm such an American in the gutter) for her husband was a definite strength in the signature bake.  As a viewer, it makes me realize how much I could do at home if I spent more time at it.  And then I see the work that goes into puff pastry and would rather just buy it pre-made.     

(I spend too much time in academia where some people scoff at informal learning and experience, so I like anything that showcases that knowledge comes from many different places!)

• Love 1

Thank you.  Persimmon pudding is a rare treat.  I have unfortunately moved away from where they were plentiful; indeed, they were considered garbage by some.  But when over-ripe and made in a double-boiler type pan (water bath) the result is an almost chocolate mouthfeel.  I would make a warm, caramel-like sauce for it, too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thank you.  Persimmon pudding is a rare treat.  I have unfortunately moved away from where they were plentiful; indeed, they were considered garbage by some.  But when over-ripe and made in a double-boiler type pan (water bath) the result is an almost chocolate mouthfeel.  I would make a warm, caramel-like sauce for it, too. 

So we don't derail the thread, can you go here and post your persimmon pudding recipe?  Thanks!

(I spend too much time in academia where some people scoff at informal learning and experience, so I like anything that showcases that knowledge comes from many different places!)

That's a great point, and actually makes me even more impressed with the younger contestants. I hadn't thought about it that way, but of course having decades of baking experience would make you more comfortable with a wider variety of things (for the kind of person who would be on this show, anyway -- my decades of baking are still mostly quickbreads!).

• Love 3

I was actually surprised that Kimberley was so low in the technical challenge; it seemed that the comments were largely positive, though I wasn't paying 100% attention and may have missed something. Am definitely rooting for her.

• Love 1

One has to remember that the editing on the show, though (I think) not trying to be deceptive, still exists. A round of judging doesn't last a mere 5 minutes at the actual event (just as we see the hours of prep/baking time edited down to 10-15 minutes of air time). So more is undoubtedly said pro and con each baker, and just occasionally what's shown on the air isn't enough information for us to understand all the rankings. I'm sure the editors do their best.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Sorry to see Glenn gone but it was his time.

I had jam roly-poly once in Yorkshire, having no idea whatsoever of the suet component.  It was divine.  I'm glad I didn't know in advance because it might have turned me off to even trying it.  

• Love 1

I wouldn't call these people novices at all.  Some of these bakers have many decades of experience with home baking.

They are not novices, but they are not professionals.  They've maintained their amateur status so they can someday bake in the Olympics!

As a fellow amateur baker, I'm amazed by how pretty everything is on the show - my stuff may taste good, but it's usually kind of lumpy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

They are not novices, but they are not professionals.  They've maintained their amateur status so they can someday bake in the Olympics!

And while some have decades of experience, there are many in their twenties and even some in their teens.

I’m very disappointed not just with Glen leaving (it was his time), but with the judges’ continual bad treatment of him.  He didn’t even get a talking head of one of the judges saying something nice about him.  Paul was a jerk to him throughout the episodes.   He deserved better.

• Love 1