Type keyword(s) to search

Nashville Spoilers and Speculation

Realistically, Daphne should be deciding to live with Teddy if he's already out of jail. Even Daphne's said that she feels out of place in the family of Rayna, Deacon, and Maddie. And now especially with Rayna gone and Maddie choosing Deacon over Teddy, Daphne should make the easy choice in staying with the one family member who has treated her right. Daphne's biggest worry is about her relationship with Maddie if she chooses Teddy, but her staying with Maddie and Deacon may not be the solution because what if Deacon has to choose between Daphne and Maddie, and Maddie can play the bio daughter card? It's a lose-lose for Daphne. Maddie would probably be happy to have Deacon to herself, anyway. I haven't seen her care about Daphne in a long, long time. The only downside is Daphne would probably leave Nashville as I can't see Teddy sticking around, although it's the only way for them to keep Daphne. Which is why I feel certain that Daphne will choose Deacon for whatever reason and Teddy/Tandy disappear again. 

I also don't think Deacon can handle both Maddie and Daphne on his own. Plus, Maddie's emancipated still; she doesn't have to be fought over in terms of custody (unless we find out the emancipation is reversed, but then it goes against everything about Maddie this season, her not having to go to school, and her being able to do whatever she wants with no discipline from Rayna/Deacon), but the previews for next episode make it seem like Teddy has custody of both girls. 

• Love 1

I'm very confused by this whole situation.  Isn't Maddie emancipated?  Why is there any discussion about Teddy getting to make a choice about where she lives?  Or Deacon for that matter?  

As for Teddy, Tandy and the Daphne situation, I suspect Teddy is not on full release from jail but temporary release.  It would make zero sense for Daphne to choose to live with Deacon when Teddy mostly raised her* (unless the show forgets this) and when she's feeling somewhat abandoned by Maddie.  However, I could see Teddy giving Tandy guardianship while he's in jail and Daphne not wanting to move to LA with her aunt. 

*I also think it would be incredibly out of character for Teddy to move away from Nashville if both of his children are there. Teddy thinking Tandy might make a better guardian while he's away, especially given his history with Deacon, makes sense.  Teddy abandoning his daughters does not.

I actually always liked Teddy. Yeah he could be an idiot/ tool but he was always good to his daughters. He raised another man's child, loved a woman who obviously loved someone else more and his reward is to be replaced and forgotten. Nice. I'm thinking that Daphne picks Deacon though. I could see her telling Teddy that Deacon needs her more and Teddy leaves the picture never to be mentioned again. Hell Daphne's even calling Deacon "dad" now.

• Love 3
On 2/24/2017 at 8:30 AM, vb68 said:

I bet Juliette becomes even more the big sister/ surrogate Mother to Maddie.  I don't see that she has much of a bond with Daphne, though.

I highly doubt Deacon can parent on his own.

No doubt Teddy loved his Daughter's, but, he was perfectly happy to, in fact, demanded to, raise Maddie on a lie, about her true paternity.  

Deacon was sober, productive, and a great friend to Rayna, yet, he had no right to know he was a Father? 

That lie was wrong, no matter how you spin it. 

Hopefully all of the adults will consider what's best for the girl's. I suspect both Scarlett and Juliette would be willing to help Deacon.  

Any decision is going to be tough!

• Love 1

In the promo Maddie uses the last name Jaymes? Isn't that the 3rd last name she's used in a year?

And why should she need to come home to babysit Deacon? Isn't he supposed to being the parent/guardian? 

I wondered about that too. But maybe that was Scarlett code for "get yer butt back to Nashville where your family needs you, instead of trying to leverage your mother's death into a career!" Wasn't she using Jaymes last year when she was trying to get a contract?

Definitely Deacon is supposed to be the parent/guardian but he just lost the love of his life, it's going to take a while for him to bounce back from that. He's going to need help in the short term at least to keep things moving at home. And why is Maddie so happy-go-lucky a week after her Mom died?

• Love 1
On 3/3/2017 at 5:17 PM, Clemgo3165 said:

Definitely Deacon is supposed to be the parent/guardian but he just lost the love of his life, it's going to take a while for him to bounce back from that. He's going to need help i

Then he shouldn't be fighting Teddy to be parent/guardian. If Deacon is falling apart and needs the kids to be there for him, he should not be in charge of them. It should be Tandy until Teddy comes out of jail. 

• Love 2

He gave up fighting Teddy, decided that rather than put Daphne through the wringer he'd just let Teddy have guardianship of the girls. But Teddy's going back to jail for now and decided to hand it right back.

Should any parent who loses a spouse be expected to give up guardianship of their kids until they can get over the immediate loss? I don't think it's realistic to expect any husband to be all sunshine and rainbows less than a week after his wife died. That's where family and friends come in, to help pick up the slack a little bit until the family can get their bearings. Thus far Deacon hasn't done anything that would concern me with regards to his mental stability or his ability to care for the girls. 

Unless you've already seen the episode, neither one of us knows what that statement from Scarlett is about. There may well be something that he actually DOES need her for related to Rayna's death, or the business, or Daphne, or any number of other things. Or it could be that Scarlett is playing that card to get Maddie to come home when she's been in NYC too long. We don't know that Deacon is the one who is asking for her to come back, or that he wants her to come back to take care of him - honestly I didn't get that he was relying too much on the girls at all in the last episode.

• Love 2

Don't have Hulu or CMT, but was able to catchup this week... Thanks Xfinity Watchathon.

So far, I'm glad how the custody has been handled. Because frankly, I found it annoying that the showrunners decided a custody battle was necessary. Maddie is free to choose who she wants. I do feel for Daphne, but I think Deacon & Teddy should be able to work something out that keeps her life & happiness the first priority. I actually liked the way the show sort of did that by having Deacon put Daphne first and then Teddy gave her back. I hope we are done with Custody Battles on the show. It nearly killed the series, I don't think we need to see anymore court dates to decide the fate of children. It's was done with Maddie & Gunner's kid, I think the show covered it. It's bad enough we have baby daddy drama with Scarlett now, hopefully that is resolved quickly too.

As for the company, I get that Rayna may not have signed papers. But Tandy is on the lam for shady business deals, Teddy is in prison for shady business deals, so while Deacon may not be the best to run the company, it's not like the others are Beacons of Business Prosperity. I do think though it will be an interesting story line to see what happens to Highway 65 from a business standpoint now that Rayna is gone. It could provide some interesting plot lines. That being said, I really do not want to see a battle over it. I think there is room at the table for Deacon, Tandy & Teddy to run the company along with Bucky. I think the tech guy seems to have the company's profit margins at heart and loved country music. But something tells me, his involvement will bring problems for the company. So while I don't need or want to see the company's day to day; I do think it's financial viability will be a recurring plot this season.

I really love Nashville for the characters and their journeys, and when the show gets boggled down in business problems or court dates, it really loses some of the creative juices that make it so special.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, kismet said:

I really love Nashville for the characters and their journeys, and when the show gets boggled down in business problems or court dates, it really loses some of the creative juices that make it so special.

I agree.  And the reality is that Deacon did run a successful bar, before everything went down with Frankie being a douche.  So it's not like he's totally clueless about running a business.  Maybe not a record label, but he has Bucky for that.  He's no less capable on that front than Tandy or Teddy and he surely knows more about the music side of things than they do.  But I'm with you on less day-to-day business stuff.

I personally think Deacon should sell Highway 65 to Big Machine or Sony Nashville or someplace like that so we can concentrate more on the actual music and the personal drama.

• Love 1

I think, from what we've seen and the difficulty H65 seems to have keeping artists, it's not a larger corporation, so I actually think he's fine.  Zach certainly has skills that Deacon would benefit from, but I don't see any reason he can't run a small record label.

• Love 1

Teddy and Deacon I think are two sides of the same coin when it comes to business experience. I think that they both have some level of experience with business. Deacon has the music edge. I wouldn't mind if they shared the responsibility with Zach & Bucky. That would also allow Deacon to tour.

Tandy has corporate business experience, but no music experience and has been shown to be shady. And I've never trusted her. And frankly, I would want to know more about the Feds investigation before I could trust her. But that is a double edge sword because I actually don't want to hear about that storyline or Lamar every again. I can't just forget that she did shady things to protect herself but not her family. And her treatment of Deacon has been atrocious.

Honestly, I just want them to make Highway 65 successful and run by cohesive group and focus the drama somewhere else. Day to day operations are not exciting, nor is the 100th bankruptcy threat. Make videos, albums and tours - that is the fun side of music business. Finding and retaining new artists could be fun, but now without Rayna to mentor them, I could have that part take a back seat. Deacon could mentor people, but I'd rather just see him play. Juliette is just young as a mentor, and so far has not done a great job with Maddie. Avery is better as a music producer. I have liked Bucky the most as a mentor, so maybe just attach him to Will. I liked Luke as a mentor, but I don't think the actor is staying on full time. I liked Glenn as a manager, but I think his best scenes were with Juliette, although I would like to see him handle Maddie. I actually believe they would have good chemistry.

I find it promising that they merged Wheeling Dealing and Highway 65, for me it's promising that they might focus back on the music and personal drama. Move away from the business side of it. Although I do wonder if Rachel Bilson will be a CEO they hire to get the business up and running smoothly. That would might make sense, since Zach is a business guy, but not a music industry pro. Even Rayna with all her Nashville industry experience struggled with the company. Bringing in a Jeff like music pro in Bilson, might be just what the show needs. Also if there is someone competent in the role, I won't have to watch a battle between Deacon, Teddy & Tandy, which does not seem promising on any level. Excited for Bilson to be joining the show, I think she is a better fit as a non-performer or retired performer. I also think placing her in Highway 65 gives her the best opportunity to have quality scenes with the cast and not just be another rival.

I'm excited for Kaitlin Doubleday to be joining the show, although I have no idea how they could better incorporate the Bluebird. Does anyone know if the actor can sing? Because perhaps they are trying to recreate the struggling singer-songwriter journey with her. Like Sadie or early Scarlett/Gunnar.

Not sure if article below was posted before, but it gives the only hints I've seen of the new cast (Bilson is hgwy 65; Doubleday is Bluebird).

http://deadline.com/2017/03/nashville-rachel-bilson-kaitlin-doubleday-join-cast-1202040509/

The problem is I want the Teddy back that we had in s1 when he was a wholesome & loving Dad to the girls. But that role is currently filled by Deacon, although I could see them doing a my Two Dads scenario once he gets released. Sort of like the 3 men and a baby scenario we had with Avery, Gunnar, Will & Cadence; which was fun. I could see some friendly banter and domesticated humor. And at the end of the day, I do think that Teddy loved Rayna, Maddie and Daphne, I just think he let his worse tendencies and personalities traits lead him down a bad path in later seasons.

If they can keep dirty, cheating, icky & selfish Teddy far far away, then I would be ok with him returning for a few moments every now and then in the episodes. I just don't want him to get a major arc because then they will most likely capitalize on that skivvy Teddy. Which is why I think it's best if Tandy stays away because she seems to bring out bad things in him.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's been pretty quiet in here.  I am hoping that doesn't mean everyone is done with the show.  I, for one, am ready to see what is going on in Nashville now.  I understand that Rachel Bilson can sing, so I was surprised to see that she will be on the business side of the show.  The clip showing Deacon with his guitar may be from an episode several weeks in the future, but I am glad to see him playing.  On stage is where he is most confident and seems to have a stabilizing effect on him. 

Edited by seewillrun

I'm not done.  I'm actually excited to see what's next.  I was glad to get a little more information on the new characters.  And I think I might be the only person on the planet who's actually okay with Zach being a regular.  I like his nerdiness and his awkwardness.  I think he could really add a punch that helps get Deacon out of his grieving and more into the moment, which would be a good thing for him and for the girls.  Not that there's anything wrong with grieving, but we know he can go to his dark place in a flash, so he needs things to keep him present.

I thought it was funny that when there was a little snippet a while back that showed the Kaitlyn character and Deacon at the Bluebird, that everyone immediately assumed it was a romantic relationship.  Just based on Deacon's face.  I was smh over that.  Now that we have more of the scene, as well as the context, we can see there's nothing even remotely romantic about it.  I did read somewhere that her character was mentored by Rayna in the past, so it would make sense that he knows her.

• Love 1

I thought it was funny that when there was a little snippet a while back that showed the Kaitlyn character and Deacon at the Bluebird, that everyone immediately assumed it was a romantic relationship.  Just based on Deacon's face.  I was smh over that.  Now that we have more of the scene, as well as the context, we can see there's nothing even remotely romantic about it.  I did read somewhere that her character was mentored by Rayna in the past, so it would make sense that he knows her.

The show runners have teased the audience before with deceptive trailers.  I guess they have to as they are trying to increase viewers.  While I may not agree with all the storylines from the new people, I don't think they are going to try to sell the viewers on Deacon looking to date anytime soon. 

I'm actually more concerned that the Maddie/Clay storyline is handled with sensitivity, but that's why we watch.

Zach is an interesting character and it will be fun to see what they do with him.  I noticed while re-watching episode 6 that while Zach seems very awkward and socially inept with Rayna and Luke, when he goes back to talk to Will and makes a play for Will to call him, he behaved very smoothly and confidently.  I thought Zach telling Will all about the plans his team has for Will was borderline manipulative, since he immediately followed that business sales pitch with the very personal "call me sometimes" statement. 

On 2/3/2018 at 1:24 AM, GaT said:

She probably just went out to buy something for breakfast or something & she'll be back first thing next episode. I can't imagine the show is going to give us scenes of Juliette in Bolivia.

They actually DO show us Juliette in Bolivia!  I work as an extra on this show and they put out a casting call for people to pass as Bolivians, including some kind of guards.  Here's an excerpt:

*EXTRAS*
BOLIVIAN MOVEMENT MEMBERS: male and female, Hispanic/Latin, age range 18-85, variety of Hispanic/Latina/Latino types who would join a type of movement.

BOLIVIAN GUARDS: male, Hispanic/Latino, age range 22-50, dark hair, *FEATURED

6 hours ago, slasherboy said:

So, you thought we'd seen the last of Beverly?  There's a casting call out for a YOUNG Beverly, age 9-12.  Maybe Deacon will re-visit his childhood.

Cool. I’m very interested in getting some of Deacon’s backstory, particularly in the context of him developing a relationship with Jessie’s emotionally abused son. 

I'd heard a few months ago that we get to see Deacon's dad. So this sounds related to that.

Here's a small spoiler on Juliette that I found interesting. 

Question: I’m worried about this Juliette cult storyline on Nashville. Is Hayden Panettiere taking a break from the show? —Mandy
Ausiello: I have it on good authority that Panettiere’s Juliette will be around for the rest of the drama’s final season. In fact, Episode 11 is pretty much all Juliette, all the time.

Source: http://tvline.com/2018/02/20/the-walking-dead-season-9-the-whispers-spoilers/

On 2/20/2018 at 8:13 PM, slasherboy said:

So, you thought we'd seen the last of Beverly?  There's a casting call out for a YOUNG Beverly, age 9-12.  Maybe Deacon will re-visit his childhood.

On 2/21/2018 at 2:59 AM, piratewench said:

Cool. I’m very interested in getting some of Deacon’s backstory, particularly in the context of him developing a relationship with Jessie’s emotionally abused son. 

There's only 8 more episodes, why are they starting a whole new plot? They've got 22 storylines they need to wrap up still, not bring new people on.

I just thought of this, if they've already got previews for the second half of the season, then they must have finished filming. I was hoping they would course correct for the final episodes, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Edited by GaT
to add more

I don’t think it’s a whole new plot, but why not give us some context to the leading man on the show?  I think it’s a logical extension to what happened between Deacon and Brad in the mid-season finale. 

They don’t finish filming until late April so those were scenes from the first few episodes of the back half. What course correct are you looking for?

Apparently Juliette is coming back in a big way.  They put out a casting call for Juliette's bodyguards and lots of PR people such as photographers, reporters, etc.  And I don't know this, but wouldn't be surprised if a chase of some sort ensues as they want PR people with cars as well.

I agree that bringing in new people and starting new storylines is stupid.  They need to just wrap up the lives of the original cast, or as original as it is at this point.

12 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I hope it’s her-I had a bad feeling something would happen with Daphne and Deacon would kill him.

Well, now that Juliette is pregnant again, they have to get Avery & her back together, & him being involved with Allanah is going to be a problem.

• Love 1

While there is no universe in which Juliette has the upper hand with regard to Avery, it is not recommended to date in your former girlfriend's/wife's house.  There is just no way for that to look good. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, seewillrun said:

While there is no universe in which Juliette has the upper hand with regard to Avery, it is not recommended to date in your former girlfriend's/wife's house.  There is just no way for that to look good. 

True, but what should he do? I guess he could move into an apartment with Cadence or buy his own house, but it seems like he's just been waiting for Juliette to contact him or something. But since they've broken up and he still lives there, he has no choice but to have friends (and girl friends) come to Juliette's house. I guess I feel like she gave up all rights to call him out on anything when she abandoned them and cut off all communication. Still, I'm sure Avery wished he hadn't been caught like that!

• Love 2