Type keyword(s) to search

Marvel Comics: All-New, All-Different

starri
  • Start Topic

Was she still friendly with Sam Wilson near the end? I'd like to think they'd meet up from time to time. Nothing too heavy.

I got both Marvel comics on Free Comic Book Day. Nice Spencer looks to bring some of his style from Superior Foes of Spider-Man, while we get a shot at Avengers 1,000,000 BC in the Avengers book. I still like the idea of Prehistoric Ghost Rider. Works slightly better for me than Cosmic Ghost Rider.

West Coast Avengers return, this time with double the Hawkeye.  And also America and some other people.  But really, it's just for Hawkeye^2 and America.

Although they're apparently being bankrolled from the producers of a reality series, which REALLY didn't end well the last time a superhero team tried that.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:53 PM, Lantern7 said:

Was she still friendly with Sam Wilson near the end? I'd like to think they'd meet up from time to time. Nothing too heavy.

I got both Marvel comics on Free Comic Book Day. Nice Spencer looks to bring some of his style from Superior Foes of Spider-Man, while we get a shot at Avengers 1,000,000 BC in the Avengers book. I still like the idea of Prehistoric Ghost Rider. Works slightly better for me than Cosmic Ghost Rider.

That Free Comic Book Day Spider-Man was absolutely terrible.  I am glad I got that crap for free, because I would have been pissed if I had paid money for it.  Marvel should have put Chip Zdarsky on Amazing, he done a great job on Spectacular Spider-Man thus far.

I am really enjoying Weapon H, I have not heard many folks talking about it.

They're cashing in on Ragnarok by announcing Asgardians of the Galaxy for the fall.  A team of Angela, Valkyrie (the 616-version, though the MCU version also showed up recently), Thunderstrike, Skurge, Throg, and someone TBA in the Destroyer armor.  I am hoping for that being Sera, but expecting to be disappointed.  They've already got the fact that Val and her girlfriend Annabelle are now timesharing a body as their queer drama.

2 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

When Who Wants To Be A Superhero? was airing, I aimed to recap it. I only did the first half of the season, but I still kept watching. Read this if you’re interested; even with the questionable decisions made by Stan, he was a big part in why it was watchable.

I still think Fat Momma should have won.

Well, THIS actually made me sob.

I still don't know how I'm feeling about this X-Men thing.  The X-Men really need a shake-up (a good one, not the half-measures we've seen over the last few years), and Secret Wars showed what skills Hickman has at big sweeping stories, but I just don't know.

On 5/5/2018 at 5:22 PM, starri said:

I know that at the conclusion of the third act of Aaron's Thor epic (this was Act 2), she'll probably get a hammer of her own,

I was kind of right, and kind of wrong.  During the conclusion to the story, called War of Realms, she ended up with Ultimate Mjolnir, but once the story was over, it transformed itself in a new weapon called Undrjarn, which is capable of manifesting as any weapon she wants.

And now she's Valkyrie, and getting her own series.

Yay.

I got a copy of Power of X #1 for the blank cover. Could . . . could someone explain it to me? I think Jonathan Hickman writes way over my head.

Haven't decided what I'd want sketched on the cover. Since there's a glimpse of the future of mutantkind, I'm leaning towards someone from X-Men 2099 just for kicks. Not Skullfire, though. Way too obvious a pick.

9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I got a copy of Power of X #1 for the blank cover. Could . . . could someone explain it to me? I think Jonathan Hickman writes way over my head.

The best I can do right now is that whatever it is that whatever it is that caused Xavier to get warped (possessed by the Shadow King?  Actually the Maker?) begat Mystique and Magneto stealing that flash drive, which lead to the issues on Mars with the chimera mutants, which lead to the mutants all being converted into data.  There's a lot on those info dump pages between the sections.

I will say House of X gave the best explanation of Omega-level mutants they've ever come up with.  And given that Xavier is being creepy AF, this is most interesting the X-Men have been in a while.  At least until six months from now, when the next thing happens.

5 hours ago, Dandesun said:

House of X #2.

Holy shit.

Scanned it briefly. Is Hickman usually on the level of Grant Morrison, in the sense of writing stuff that you can’t “get” on the first read? I can appreciate that, but sometimes, I like something like what Morrison did with The Green Lantern this week. In briefly: “Green Lanterns from other universes! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!”

Edited by Lantern7
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Scanned it briefly. Is Hickman usually on the level of Grant Morrison, in the sense of writing stuff that you can’t “get” on the first read?

The lead up to Secret Wars was really intricate, so yes.  And New X-Men is a stated influence on this whole Dawn of X thing, leaning into it makes sense.

I give them credit, it does explain both the resurrections and a certain plot point from the 90s that never quite made sense.

I don't worry so much about explaining plots and stories from decades ago. If it fits into that larger picture, that's great, but I am very interested in the world building that is taking place.

And, yes, it does work in explaining why Moira wasn't seen as a mutant before. Destiny clarifies that and it also works with the various things we've seen Moira do in what we thought was her lifetime (she's had several.)

Destiny was amazing. (Then there's also the question of why Pyro called her mother but that's for another time I'm sure.) And the various lives explain the preview I saw of Moira and Apocalypse in some sort of embrace.

It's just really fascinating.

After slogging through the last Uncanny run (which was just... mind-numbingly dull, really) this is an absolute treat. They were very clear about wanting this to be the new jumping off point for the X-Men and setting the stage for the future and it definitely feels like that's what they're doing.

7 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I don't worry so much about explaining plots and stories from decades ago. If it fits into that larger picture, that's great, but I am very interested in the world building that is taking place.

Oh, I didn't need it either, and I liked that they didn't even really call attention to it.  It was just like....OOOOOOOOOH.

Picked up Marvel Comics #1000. Gimmick book with interesting hook and the promise of something larger next year. I got the blank cover . . . like DC Comics did with Action Comics and Detective Comics, there's no "regular" cover underneath. I'm wondering what I could get sketched on it. Right now, I'm thinking either Human Torch (original version), Namor or Galactus. I'm open to suggestions. 😊

I'm sure I'm not alone, but I've been thinking that all of the time periods in Powers of X is from a different timeline ever since we learned that X2 was Moira's 9th life. The last issue of House of X convinced me of this. My theory:

X3: Moira's sixth life that we no nothing about.

X2: Moira's ninth life.

X1: Moira's tenth life.

X0: The eleventh life that Destiny told Moira she might have. This is the current Marvel timeline.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, starri said:

I have to admit, House of X and Powers of X did not head where I thought they were going to.

That's for sure. I'm not that familiar with Hickman, I wasn't expecting the cosmic craziness. And once I got into the groove, I still thought the final issue would wrap things up. But it just kind of stopped more than finished. I don't expect Dawn of X to really do that either. They need to keep people coming back for the next issue.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:54 AM, Anduin said:

That's for sure. I'm not that familiar with Hickman, I wasn't expecting the cosmic craziness. And once I got into the groove, I still thought the final issue would wrap things up. But it just kind of stopped more than finished. I don't expect Dawn of X to really do that either. They need to keep people coming back for the next issue.

Hickman likes long stories (It could be argued that his last Marvel story started with his FF run in 2009 and ended with Secret Wars in 2015), so I assumed that House of X/Powers of X was just the prologue.

I'm just glad that Marvel is letting someone tell that type of story. I'm a little tired of creative teams leaving books after 6 - 12 issues.

• Love 1
On 8/29/2019 at 11:31 PM, Lantern7 said:

Picked up Marvel Comics #1000. Gimmick book with interesting hook and the promise of something larger next year. I got the blank cover . . . like DC Comics did with Action Comics and Detective Comics, there's no "regular" cover underneath. I'm wondering what I could get sketched on it. Right now, I'm thinking either Human Torch (original version), Namor or Galactus. I'm open to suggestions. 😊

I wound up going with the Big G. I got this from Dean Kotz.

marvel1000-galactus.jpg.11253f8851980458d3635fd5211749f6.jpg

• Love 1

Are the New New Warriors Marvel's way of trolling the fans?

Do they honestly think this crap will sell?

Snowflake and Safespace, one dude got his powers from his grandfather's internet gas...what the holy hell is this garbage?

So, Empyre, in addition to marrying off Teddy and Billy, also revealed that Speed and Prodigy are a couple.  By having the two of them take Teddy out to see a mutant drag queen named Krystal M'Kraan, which is such a good idea, I can't believe it took them this long.

And now GotG has paired of Noh-Varr and Hercules.

I guess Kate was the only straight member of YA 2.0.

Damn, Marvel really want me to start reading again. Jubilee is back to being the Firecracker I knew and loved. Peter David is coming back to write X-Factor (at least 1 issue) and, they're bringing back Adam-X (to explain his role in the Summers family tree). 

14 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Damn, Marvel really want me to start reading again. Jubilee is back to being the Firecracker I knew and loved. Peter David is coming back to write X-Factor (at least 1 issue) and, they're bringing back Adam-X (to explain his role in the Summers family tree). 

The House of X/Powers of X stuff is worth reading.

Interesting, absolutely packed with dense continuity and confounding in parts, but it's a good starting point for the new status quo of the X-books.

I'm not sure what Jonathan Hickman plans for the X-books in the long term, because it seems like Professor Xavier admitting mutants can never live alongside humanity is a narrative dead end. I'm assuming we'll get another big reset in a year or two, as we always do with comics.

I went through House of X on Comicology. High-concept stuff from Hickman. I had gotten a blank covered House of X #1 in 2019. Got this commission of Moira MacTaggart from Miss Jamie Kaye.

X-Powers-Moira.jpg.1b416e40c27bd5d177b657ce7f8cd22e.jpg

Yeah, I know, "Moira had an insane mutant power" was a bit of a stretch, but Hicknman really ran with it.

23 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Yeah, I know, "Moira had an insane mutant power" was a bit of a stretch, but Hicknman really ran with it.

To me the difference between a good and bad retcon is whether it feels like new information that changes the context of previous stories or like a writer is trying to change a character in a way that makes no sense based on their history. (IMO Bendis tends to do the later).

To me the Moira retcon is one of the good ones in that it adds to her story. (Again IMO).

3 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

To me the difference between a good and bad retcon is whether it feels like new information that changes the context of previous stories or like a writer is trying to change a character in a way that makes no sense based on their history. (IMO Bendis tends to do the later).

To me the Moira retcon is one of the good ones in that it adds to her story. (Again IMO).

I think its an interesting idea, but the scale of it is kind of wacky. Moira's power is to essentially reboot the entire - entire - universe and live again with the foreknowledge of her previous lives. That's a power level that no other Marvel character can reach.

6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I think its an interesting idea, but the scale of it is kind of wacky. Moira's power is to essentially reboot the entire - entire - universe and live again with the foreknowledge of her previous lives. That's a power level that no other Marvel character can reach.

I get your point, but I still think it's a great idea that works.

In part due to the fact that Moira needs to die to activate her power, so she's effectively human until that moment. That's why the retcon work for me, since it works with her prior history.

And let's face facts you get Hickman, you're getting big ideas/powers.

On 4/27/2021 at 2:13 AM, Danny Franks said:

That's a power level that no other Marvel character can reach.

America Chavez can kick holes between dimensions.  I think that's equal.

Watching IW for the umpteenth time and I got curious and looked up the Sanctum Santorum on google maps. Based on that IW got the location correct since it's near an intersection and near Washington Park. Also, Google maps has Avengers Mansion and the Baxter Building. (The mansion is a reference library, and the Baxter Building is an intersection).

Long time comics reader, but since adulting, only read after the books are collected into trade PBs that I can get from the library.

Right now I am reading the X-Men Disassembled story which appears to be from 2018.  The X-Men fight Nate Grey.  The first thing I noticed is that Psylocke is back in her original body.  Googling tells me that she died in her Kwannon body and her soul was absorbed by an enemy.  But she broke free and recreated her original body.

I haven't followed Psylocke that much apparently, but I know at one point she lost her telepathy and became a telekinetic.  Now, she definitely has her telepathy back but appears to still have some form of telekinesis?  Unless her shield and sword are telepathic weapons, like her psychic knife in her ninja days.  Does she still retain the ninja fighting skills and training she had when she was in Kwannon's body?

I am liking the return of this version of Psylocke, with the manifestation of her telepathic abilities as the butterfly effect around her head.  Of course she won't go back to the dated pink costume with the silky loose arms, but I was hoping she would go back to wearing the magenta armour and lavender hooded cape she wore just before the X-Men went into the Siege Perilous.

Where does that leave Kwannon?  Is she still in Betsy's original body as Revanche, or is that body long dead?  So confusing.

43 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Where does that leave Kwannon?  Is she still in Betsy's original body as Revanche, or is that body long dead?  So confusing.

Kwannon is back in her original body after Betsy was no longer using it. She’s also using the name Psylocke, as Betsy is now Captain Britain. I’m glad they finally did that. Not a reflection on Psylocke’s stories over the years, but having a white woman in a Japanese woman’s body was always a little dicey. 

Marvel dropped a tease of finally doing something with Miracleman, who they acquired almost fifteen years ago and proceeded to do jack with.  They're planning to finally publish an omnibus edition of Alan Moore's stories (given that the sale to Marvel happened Moore's....certainly not approval, but not the overt disapproval I would have expected, I'm curious to see what he'll say, if anything), but they were also hinting about him coming to 616.

Although, as has been pointed out, Marvel already has The Sentry....

On 8/24/2021 at 11:26 AM, starri said:

Kwannon is back in her original body after Betsy was no longer using it. She’s also using the name Psylocke, as Betsy is now Captain Britain. I’m glad they finally did that. Not a reflection on Psylocke’s stories over the years, but having a white woman in a Japanese woman’s body was always a little dicey. 

Didn't Kwannon (in Betsy's original body) die from the Legacy virus way back? When did they resurrect her?

There was a whole convoluted thing maybe six or seven years ago where Betsy was forced back into her original body, and then as part of the whole Dawn of X story, they revived Kwannon.

1 hour ago, starri said:

Holy flurking schnit, Marvel and Hasbro reached a deal to release omnibus editions of ROM and Micronauts.  

Now give Bill Mantlo some money.

My mind is blown in an 'I never imagined that would happen' way. Though as someone else noted, they finally got rid of that old tightwad, now they can do this stuff again.