Type keyword(s) to search

Marvel Comics: All-New, All-Different

starri
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Question Because I'm Too Lazy To Look Up The Answer: What happened to Young Angel's wings?

Long Answer:  during a crossover event with the Guardians of the Galaxy, he was exposed to a Celestial relic called the Black Vortex and got cosmic powers.  He told X-23 it was because he wanted to avoid turning into Archangel in the future.

Short Answer:  Because reasons.

You know, I was made extremely uncomfortable by the anti-Semitism that got sneaked into X-Men Gold #1, but seeing the stuff that Marvel amended after the artist got himself fired, it's somehow even worse than I thought.

That panel of Kitty appearing to take a baseball bat the face can't me a coincidence, and it's disgusting. 

Did Marvel do something horribly bad recently?

Someone o follow on Twitter keeps retweeting these other fans about Mavel that makes them sound like Nazi loving anti-Semitic, racist, sexist, every other ist imaginable 

I see what @starri posted which seems to be a artist think which Marvel fixed (fired artist, tried to correct the book) but, this mostly seems to be directed at Captain America books.

Just to clarify, i know about Captain being a Hydra agent and villain now. I guess I'm just wondering if Marvel has actually done something horrible or is this just an fan angry over a storyline they don't like.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I can't really find myself as part of the outrage machine on this one.  I completely understand why people are unhappy, and I'm certainly sympathetic to the LCS employees who balked at decking themselves out in Hydra apparel.

But no, I'm not reading this one.  In parts, it's event fatigue.  In a bigger part, I just can't find any entertainment value in something that's uncomfortably close to actual reality.

Maybe if this ends with Wanda saying "No more Events."

There's just so much wrong with the whole thing. I did read the first issue of Cap: Steve Rogers where the initial bombshell was dropped and all of the stuff where the Red Skull was recruiting for Hydra was extremely uncomfortable because it read exactly like a Trump rally. Then Cap saying 'Hail Hydra' at the end was... unsettling. And I suppose that's what you want for a story sometimes but it was so unsettling that I didn't want to go any further. I didn't want to read anymore Red Skull speeches that sounded like what was happening in real life at the time (and still are) because I didn't want any more of that shit than I was already getting on a daily basis.

That was when I needed Cap to be the paragon of freedom and opportunity... not a fucking sleeper agent with Red Skull influencing a toddler Cosmic Cube to rewrite Steve's entire history to make him Hydra from when he was four years old.

And the excuses at this point are fucking ridiculous. "He's not a Nazi! Hydra isn't Nazis! See? Elise (or whatever the fuck her name is) was totally against Hitler and Red Skull! Hydra is more just general fascism not Nazism... come on! To prove it, we'll have Cap actively work with Nazis during World War 2 and also have Magneto -- HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR -- be a Hydra agent too! See? NOT NAZIS!"

There was a germ of interest early on when I was thinking that the influence of the Cosmic Cube didn't actually change Steve Rogers at all... it just changed his history and that he was actively working to shift Hydra into the exact opposite of what the Red Skull wanted. That it was still Good Steve Rogers but... no...

He's got a giant octopus tattooed on his chest. He may be actively working against Red Skull but that doesn't mean he's a good guy when his visions of the future, the vision he wants for the world, involves white kids wearing Hydra shirts chasing and throwing rocks at a black kid. This is Steve Rogers is Evil. Period. It doesn't matter what name they call it anymore. Whinging about how he's not REALLY a Nazi is a mealy-mouthed response to the backlash of shitting on everything Steve Rogers stands for.

I don't know how they bring Steve back from this because this is them changing everything that ever was about him.

Although if Wanda does say 'no more events' ... well, I wouldn't hate THAT part.

• Love 6

Given that nobody really went berserk at a grief-stricken (concentration camp survivor) Magneto giving himself to Apocalypse (a Pharaoh) in last year's movie, maybe Marvel figured that shaking reality into making him a Hydra agent wouldn't piss most readers off. I'll get the FCBD book and maybe the first issue with a blank cover, but I'm thinking that Agents Of SHIELD is doing a similar concept better.

You know, I have no interest in the Secret Empire story.  I understand why people are upset by it.  But some (not all) of the handwringing over it is really starting to annoy me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scriggle said:

Either Disney's worried the comics are beginning to hurt the MCU brand or pre-orders of Secret Empire really really suck. Or both.

Marvel asks readers to be patient with Hydra-Captain America in official statement (And gives away the ending of Secret Empire?)

I don't know how far in advance comics are scheduled or written, but people have been loudly worried about this from the moment it publically kicked off. And it's only gotten louder as time has gone on. Some people have sworn off Marvel comics entirely. Don't take my words as hard data, though. It's just what I've seen on IO9.

(edited)

Looking at Comic Sales, Secret Empire #0 was the Number 1 seller for April but it didn't reach the heights of Black Panther

http://www.comichron.com

However, Marvel is still leading the pack as far as monthly sales goes.

Looking at Steve Rogers #1 it started at 99k in May 2016. It dropped to 31.5k by March 2017, around a 68% drop in almost a 10 months (13 issues).

By comparison, Punisher #1 started in May 2016 at 110k and dropped to 28.4K by March 2017 (10 issues), roughly at 74% drop.

Black Panther #1 started at 286.7k in April 2016 and dropped to 35.4k in February 2016. Roughly an 87% drop in 10 months (11 issues).

I'm not really sure exactly what that means, is this comic as wildly hated as people on the Internet claim? Is it suffering normal drops? Will Secret Empire crash and burn?

Guess we'll have to keep an eye on monthly sales to see how Secret Empire is received by the paying public Vs Social Media.

Edited by Morrigan2575
9 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm not really sure exactly what that means, is this comic as wildly hated as people on the Internet claim?

Because people love to complain, and then buy the damned thing anyway.  If you really hate it that much, don't buy it.

50 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Just look at the comments ?

It's funny.  "He's the Chuck Austen of the '10s!"

People loved Chuck Austen at first.  You might almost call their opinions...a retcon.

I wish the interior art on Generation X was as good as Terry Dodson's cover. Some of it's okay, but I hate the way Amilcar Pinna draws Jubilee.  Actually, a lot of the female characters don't look quite as good as the male ones.  

They've kept Jubilee as a vampire, which kind of surprised me.

On 5/23/2017 at 2:35 PM, starri said:

I wish the interior art on Generation X was as good as Terry Dodson's cover. Some of it's okay, but I hate the way Amilcar Pinna draws Jubilee.  Actually, a lot of the female characters don't look quite as good as the male ones.  

They've kept Jubilee as a vampire, which kind of surprised me.

I want her to go back to the Firecracker I loved but, they never seemed go take her powers seriously (ranging from sparkles to blowing up buildings).

As a Vampire she has Some pretty cool powers, pity Wood never saw a reason to use them on the all female X-Men title. Guggenheim had her voice but once again brought others like M into the book and didn't seem to do much with Jubilee. Granted I only read his first arc on the book (when they were on the space station)

I'm not sure where else this might belong, so Joan Lee, Stan's wife of 69 years, as well as the inspiration for Gwen Stacy, passed away at 93.

"I took one look at her – and she was the girl I had been drawing all my life," Stan recalled to The Hollywood Reporter. 

d8bb2690137f45ef1eadc551cad8b684.gif

Joe Quesada's official statement on behalf of Marvel was really beautiful.

While most of the world may simply remember Joan as Stan’s beloved wife, for all of us here at Marvel, for every kid who has opened one of our comics, watched our cartoons, TV shows and movies, for those who have fantasized about swinging on a web between the skyscrapers of New York City, or has had their imagination sparked and dreamt of one day writing and drawing stories about the greatest heroes ever created—the truth is that there would be no Marvel Universe without Joan Lee. She was its big bang.

• Love 4

She was its big bang.

She really was, because the story I've heard is that he was about ready to quit the comic book business, sick of writing formulaic monster books. After someone at DC told him of the success they were having with the Justice League book, it was Stan's wife who told him to just 'write it the way you want to, it doesn't matter if they reject it, you're leaving the business anyway', when he was considering a superhero team book of his own. And obviously, that book became Fantastic Four #1, and the birth of the Silver Age of comic books.

• Love 3

So, after five years and a smooshed-together universe, Spider-Men II finally introduces us to Miles-616.  Who appears to have some history with Taskmaster, to the point that I'm wondering if maybe he was a SHEILD agent.  There's probably no way he's making it out of this alive, since I doubt they'd have two separate characters with the same name running around.

So, in this whole Legacy event (or not event, I can't quite tell), they're doing a story about the Avengers of 1,000,000 BC, with prehistoric versions of Iron Fist, Phoenix, and Black Panther, plus Agamatto subbing for Dr. Strange, Odin subbing for Thor, and the first Starbrand subbing for Hulk.  But this is the best one.

sewrxz3qmhcuthfmwo9l.jpg

I know, right?!? We're had Ghost Riders on horse, cycle and car . . . but wooly mammoth?!? Holy shit! And is the mammoth undead? So many questions!!! Come on, I want an event where Ghost Rider 1MBC terrorizes shit, and that the mammoth barfs up Johnny, Danny, Robbie and Zero, as well as their respective vehicles.

ETA: And Alejandra. Shouldn't forget her.

and now........  Future Ghost Rider, who, of course, is ...........  Frank Castle!!!!

So, Marvel has gone "Bat-Crazy" now that "The Punisher" is a successful show on Netflix.

and has become even more invested in Castle than they were back in the 90's.

First, Present Day Castle is taking over the War Machine armor.

And now this.........

In the future, Castle makes a deal with Mephisto and becomes the "new" Ghost Rider,

and eventually gets cosmic powers from Galactus as well.

Why don't they just bring back Venom Castle as well???

(OK, that was technically a What If story, but still....)

17 minutes ago, starri said:

I wish I was less meh on the whole "Fresh Start" thing.  They just need to stick with something for more than six months.

I remember jumping into X-Men with 287 or something. Maybe I didn't fully understand it. But I bought it, and kept buying it. It must have done something right. These days they keep relaunching books but I have very little interest in reading them. The complete opposite.

I also don't know what I think about some of the creative teams.  Ta-nehisi Coates on Captain America is intriguing, but I don't know how Mark Waid, who I really like, will do with Antman.  Nick Spencer on Spider-Man at least sounds good on paper, but Dan Slott on Defenders?

14 minutes ago, rainbowmonkey said:

Which comic book will you suggest to a person who hasn't read any comics beforehand?

What sort of fiction does this person like? There's comics on all sorts of topics and themes.

Maybe Ed Brubaker's Velvet. (He's the writer of the Captain America run that gave us The Winter Soldier). It's a spy thriller set in the 70's with a woman in the Bond role. I think the first series ran for 15 issues, and Brubaker has tentative plans to return to the character.

I wish Marvel had had the balls to allow Jane Foster to remain as Thor forever.  I do give them a lot of credit for letting it continue for almost four years, but the return to status quo just seems...lesser, somehow.  I know this story always had an expiration date, and I know that at the conclusion of the third act of Aaron's Thor epic (this was Act 2), she'll probably get a hammer of her own, but they took something the could have been gimmicky and cheap and made it amazing.

• Love 1