Type keyword(s) to search

Marvel Comics: All-New, All-Different

starri
  • Start Topic

I think there should be a sign . . . "IT HAS BEEN XX NUMBER OF YEARS SINCE JUBILEE USED HER MUTANT POWERS." I don't think she got to do that in X-Men: Apocalypse.

Vampiric mist with shades. That's so cute.

ETA: From what I remember, she lost her mojo after "No More Mutants." Then she was in New Warriors. Then she got turned into a vampire.

ETA2: I wonder if Jubilee and Looker from DC Comics attend the same support group.

• Love 1

Pretty much as I recall it too. She lost her powers after M Day (Stupid Wanda). She became Wondra/Lead of the New Warriors using Pym Particles. Then she became a Vampire, and has been ever since. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
14 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Pretty much as I recall it too. She lost her powers after M Day (Stupid Wanda). She became Wondra/Lead of the New Warriors using Pym Particles. Then she became a Vampire, and has been ever since. 

I'm betting they're going to undo that.  Just a feeling.

I hope so because it seems like a lot of writers don't know what to do with Vampire Jubliee. 

I picked up the All Female X-Men title a few years back (because of Jubes) but the original writer (Wood) either hated the character or her being a Vampire because he pretty much had her do nothing except lug an adopted (stolen) baby around. In fact the only time I actually recall Jubilee doing anything in the Battle of the Atom crossover event was in non X-Men (Wood) titles.

I dropped the title after that but picked it up again when Marc Guggenheim started writing it. He seemed to get Jubilee's voice but, still had her do very little, preferring to feature Monet, Psylocke and Rachel Grey over Jubes.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Picked up Champions #2. No fighting . . . the team bonds by going camping. The encounter with Teen Cyclops isn't as bad as the cover makes it look. And there's a last page spoiler detailed here.

Spoiler

Amadeus/Hulk & Viv? Huh?!? I remember reading the Van Lente/Pak run on The Incredible Hercules, when Amadeus and Delphyne Gorgon were kinda/sorta an item. Does he have a thing for green girls? Is that why Jennifer Walters has gone grey?

I looked through the new Avengers book. Hercules is packing a big laser now? Better look for him than the mullet, but still . . .

On 11/2/2016 at 5:57 PM, Lantern7 said:

Hercules is packing a big laser now? Better look for him than the mullet, but still . . .

As long as he's not banging dudes, Axel Alonso is probably fine with it.

Is Civil War II ever going to end?  Like, I keep having nightmares that they keep pushing it further away despite the fact that we already know how it ends.  Worse, the penultimate issue has a central piece of storytelling that could have been dispatched in about five pages.  Although I will give credit to trying into another story that I won't name.

I know I'm the only person who actually likes the Inhumans, but I'm glad that Marvel hasn't completely thrown them overboard with the big return of the X-Men.  They announced a new volume of Secret Warriors that is for the present all-Inhuman, with Quake leading, plus Ms Marvel, Moon Girl, and Karnak.  Except that as much as I know how people want to use Ms Marvel, I kind of don't like her joining every single team.

And I really don't like that after having built Medusa up into a great character, they're kneecapping her again by pushing Black Bolt.

Meet X-Men Gold and X-Men Blue.

X-Men Gold looks like basically the same team as the current Extraordinary X-Men plus Rachel (now called Prestige for some reason), and Kitty (!!!!!!!!) as leader.

X-Men Blue is All-New X-Men.  With Teen Jean as the leader.

Which probably means the solo Iceman book is about adult Iceman, but still leaves a big question mark over the solo Jean book.

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

When reached for comment, Nathan Christopher Charles Summers wondered if he had enough unaffected skin for hipster tattoos.

I don't know, he's got enough bandoliers, but I don't think he's got the right number of pouches.

It came after Christmas, but Spider-Man/Deadpool #12? So funny. Paul Scheer (whom I'm familiar with) and Nick Giovannetti (no clue) team with Todd Nauck (one of my fave artists) to team the heroes against a forebearer of Santa Claus. Hightlights include a post-Civil War II party at Avengers HQ (Vision gets a v-neck sweater from Rogue!), Spidey getting gooned on "Pool Fuel" (Wade's energy drink), wanton destruction, Steve Rodgers making Miles Morales wish he had murdered him (not explicitly stated, but I'm assuming) with talks of the magic of vacuum cleaners, and a sweet final page. The best joke?

Spoiler

Kate Bishop getting a Secret Santa "I Killed The Hulk And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt" t-shirt from Deadpool. He got it for Clint Barton, not her.

Hulk #1 - Jen is awake from her coma and back at work.  And has a major case of PTSD, which has left her normal human form most of the time, unless she thinks about getting beaten by Thanos or Clint killing her cousin.  And being She-Hulk used to feel good, but now it just adds to the trauma.

I don't know if Mariko Tamaki has been through something similar, but boy does she seem to understand how PTSD works.

• Love 1

Did anybody get a state-based variant cover of USAvengers #1? Some of the connections are weird. For instance . ..  Hulk/Amadeus Cho for Utah? Spider-Man for New Hampshire? I get that Luke Cage gets New York, but isn't Spidey a better fit? Or Captain America Original Recipe, who gets Delaware? Probably because that's the first state in the union, but it's still a Reed Richards-like stretch.

Champions #4 was nice, though they might need to rename it Nobody Likes Amadeus. And next issue, Gwenpool tries to join. Sure, why the heck not? I got her first TPB, and it's pretty funny.

(edited)

For all of the weird ones, there were others that were perfect, like Ms Marvel for New Jersey, Hellcat for Alaska (a reference to the 50 State Initiative), White Tiger from Puerto Rico (and good for them for including that at all), and Rogue for Mississippi.

And Hawkeye for Iowa, the Hawkeye State.

Edited by starri
1 hour ago, starri said:

I hear you. Events always turn me off, even if I'm reading most of the individual titles anyway. I just prefer a self-contained story, it doesn't need to be the biggest most earshshakingest dramaticest excitingest story since the last one. For that matter, they seem to have no status quo. They shake things up so often that nothing has time to settle, no time for people to get used to the new arrangement before it all gets mixed up again.

Is anyone keeping up with Inhumans vs X-Men?  I've been trying, but there are so many books and I can't keep the stories straight any more.  It's seems like what happens in one title is contradicting what's happening in another.

And I still don't understand what Cyclops did that made him "like Hitler"....

8 hours ago, Demented Daisy said:

Is anyone keeping up with Inhumans vs X-Men?  I've been trying, but there are so many books and I can't keep the stories straight any more.  It's seems like what happens in one title is contradicting what's happening in another.

And I still don't understand what Cyclops did that made him "like Hitler"....

Paul O'Brien has you covered.

• Love 1

Oh, I agree with him wholeheartedly.  In any case, where I get really confused is Uncanny Inhumans #19.  (Just in case.)

Spoiler

If I understood it correctly (I know nothing of the Inhumans), Maximus knows how to create the Terrigen crystals, which is where the mist came from.  So if they can recreate the crystals, why are they making such a big damn deal about the cloud?

And, frankly, if something sacred to me is killing people, it'd lose that status pretty damn quick.

That's what's confusing me about this whole story.  I keep hearing about how the Terrigen mist can't be destroyed because it'll destroy the Inhuman culture.  But it's killing mutants -- and making sure than any future mutants who are born will die a slow painful death from the Terrigen that is about to saturate the entire Earth's atmosphere.  

For the record, I am biased.  As evidence, here's my Rogue/Gambit tattoo.

0H0fCao.jpg?1

• Love 1

I also didn't understand what was so bad about Forge's machine that would suck the Terrigen out of the air, but like I said, I'm just going to stick my head in the sand until it's finally over and come back out when Kitty is leading the team like they promised.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Demented Daisy said:

Oh, I agree with him wholeheartedly.  In any case, where I get really confused is Uncanny Inhumans #19.  (Just in case.)

Reveal hidden contents

If I understood it correctly (I know nothing of the Inhumans), Maximus knows how to create the Terrigen crystals, which is where the mist came from.  So if they can recreate the crystals, why are they making such a big damn deal about the cloud?

And, frankly, if something sacred to me is killing people, it'd lose that status pretty damn quick.

That's what's confusing me about this whole story.  I keep hearing about how the Terrigen mist can't be destroyed because it'll destroy the Inhuman culture.  But it's killing mutants -- and making sure than any future mutants who are born will die a slow painful death from the Terrigen that is about to saturate the entire Earth's atmosphere.  

For the record, I am biased.  As evidence, here's my Rogue/Gambit tattoo.

0H0fCao.jpg?1

I love Gambit, but I have to say I've come to hate that relationship. It has resulted in both characters being written appallingly, for so many years. And Gambit, especially, has been completely unable to break free of it, in the eyes of writers and fans.

Rogue gets to be in the Avengers, and lead an X-Men team, Gambit gets to pine after her and mildly accept her dumping him to go and fool around with Magneto. Even in his own book (The Asmus one, which was excellent, and should have been allowed to continue) he has to put up with Rogue turning up and judging him for his actions, and lecturing him on what he should and shouldn't do. Yet he's never given the opportunity to do the same with her.

They're supposed to be broken up (and I understand Rogue has had two or three relationships since, with other people) yet they're still narratively linked in ways that do Gambit no favours whatsoever.

I've paid no attention whatsoever to the larger storylines in X-Men, ever since Schism. For some reason, the Inhumans are a big deal now? I guess a writer who fanboys them got too much influence at Marvel. It happens. A lot.

When I read about the impending X-Men Blue and X-Men Gold books I got excited, because I thought this might be a chance to jump back into the X-Men with characters I care about, but then I saw the lineups of the two books.

Blue is the time displaced (but still boring), teenaged original five. The only interesting bit looks to be that Jean is in charge.

Gold is a little better, but still blighted by fucking Wolverine (who is actually dead, but luckily they had another version of him lying around. Sigh). Kitty and Nightcrawler are good, but the rest bore me.

Guess there's no room for Gambit. Or Psylocke, Cannonball, Bishop, Longshot, Multiple Man, Siryn, Jubilee, Polaris, Havok, Bishop, Dazzler, Northstar, Hellion, Surge, Mercury, Dust, Warpath, Armor, Magik or Wolfsbane. But there is room for alternate versions of old characters.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I love Gambit, but I have to say I've come to hate that relationship. It has resulted in both characters being written appallingly, for so many years. And Gambit, especially, has been completely unable to break free of it, in the eyes of writers and fans.

It not you.  It Gambit.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, starri said:

It not you.  It Gambit.

Any time he's been allowed to be himself, unburdened by being Rogue's... whatever, he's been great. As I said, the book written by James Asmus was excellent, apart from when Rogue appeared to tell Gambit why he needs to be a better person. The other Gambit solos were good too, if a little too tied into the Thieves Guild stuff.

Fortunately, I still have the early Uncanny X-Men and Adjectiveless books, from before he was tied to her, and he was much more enjoyable then too.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, starri said:

I fucking hate Gambit.

Hardly unique. The only comic book forum I ever really look at has a whole club of people who go around hating Gambit, often for reasons they can't even articulate, or have flat out made up from skewed interpretations of things that happened in various books. But he's one of the few X-Men I have an abiding affection for. I've never liked Wolverine, or Cyclops, or Iceman, and only liked Rogue, Storm and Angel in small doses. And I cannot stand Magneto as a good guy.

I seem to be doomed to like characters that either the most vocal fans dislike, or that writers don't care about. Gambit, Jamie Madrox, the Winter Soldier, Psylocke (sans Angel), Namor, Victor Mancha, Hellion. Even Dick Grayson, who is prominent in DC, but treated by most writers and editors as an afterthought when it comes to any significant stories. Probably why I generally don't bother reading any comics published by either company any more. I just got tired of seeing the same half dozen characters rampaging over every story.

• Love 1

Oh, I don't like Wolverine either, although Old Man Logan is a lot more interesting.

And they've spent almost twenty years making Cyclops someone you want to hate, so I don't think you're alone in that one.

Of course, going back a few posts, the other main reason I don't bother with Marvel comics any more is that they are constantly having these big, 'game-changing' event stories. It seems like the antithesis of what would make for a consistent and varied catalogue of characters and books for different people to enjoy.

Every six months, 'hey, this guy needs to die, and this other guy needs to be brought back, and could you change this one so he's more like that one? It's all for the big event. Thanks.' Chris Claremont was allowed to write X-Men books, relatively unhindered by editorial interference and huge crossovers, for fifteen years. In the course of that, he defined the X-Men and introduced almost everything that is iconic about them. How is any writer now supposed to create anything worthwhile?

So from that point of view, perhaps it's better to like obscure characters that writers don't want to use. Unless they get included just so they can be cannon fodder to prop up the writer's pet bad guy.

I'm a Cyclops fan he's hated everywhere I go. ?  I have no idea what the writers did to the character or why but, it seems like the X-Writers just want to shit all over him. 

I love Gambit but, hate Gambit/Rogue it's another one of those dysfunctional/abusive type relationships that is supposed to be sooooo romantic (Buffy/Angel, Starbuck/Apollo, Damian/Elana etc) but, i find them annoying and character destructive. 

I used to love Wolverine back the 90s but, I'm so over him. 

For some reason, the Inhumans are a big deal now? I guess a writer who fanboys them got too much influence at Marvel. It happens. A lot.

I have a feeling this might have been more of a business decision, trying to tie comics to the MCU lineup. It seems like Inhumans started gaining importance after the Phase 3 lineup was announced. I know there were rumors about Marvel trying to replace X-Men with Inhumans because FOX owns the X-Men movie rights. 

5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I have a feeling this might have been more of a business decision, trying to tie comics to the MCU lineup. It seems like Inhumans started gaining importance after the Phase 3 lineup was announced. I know there were rumors about Marvel trying to replace X-Men with Inhumans because FOX owns the X-Men movie rights. 

Along those lines, rumors abound (at another forum I frequent) that the whole "Cyclops = Hitler" thing was devised before the Death of X/Inhumans vs X-Men stories were fully thought out (much less written) and that the story was changed after Marvel and Fox worked the Deadpool deal.

18 hours ago, Demented Daisy said:

Along those lines, rumors abound (at another forum I frequent) that the whole "Cyclops = Hitler" thing was devised before the Death of X/Inhumans vs X-Men stories were fully thought out (much less written) and that the story was changed after Marvel and Fox worked the Deadpool deal.

It really comes to something (and by that I mean, 'Marvel are morons') when Scott Summers is set up as a Hitler equivalent while fucking Magneto is leading at least one faction of the X-Men. But again, this is what happens when fanboys start getting creative influence over the product.

I remember being annoyed a few years ago when a group of writers who all said Cyclops was their favourite X-Man took over the books, after the Hope Summers story, and started writing him as a cool, edgy badass. Presumably because they wanted to make him what they wish he'd been when they were kids. It sounds like it's just snowballed from there.

As for Marvel trying to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans? Good luck with that! As far as I know, the Inhumans are four characters and then some weird animals with powers. The only memorable ones being Black Bolt and Medusa (and her just because she's got the hair thing, and is named after a snake-haired mythological figure). Marvel couldn't even replace the X-Men with the Avengers.

11 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

As far as I know, the Inhumans are four characters and then some weird animals with powers.

Two of Marvel's most well-regarded series of late are solo books starring Inhuman characters.  One of the two just wrapped up, but it's more because Warren Ellis couldn't get off his ass to write it.

• Love 1

That's all she wrote for Patsy Walker.  Which, I'm simultaneously sad that it's on its way out and happy that it managed to last seventeen issues.

I hope they find something else for Kate Leth to do.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:13 AM, starri said:

Two of Marvel's most well-regarded series of late are solo books starring Inhuman characters.  One of the two just wrapped up, but it's more because Warren Ellis couldn't get off his ass to write it.

Warren Ellis is doing an alternative world version of the Wildstorm heroes for DC now. The first issue just came out.

On 2/25/2017 at 2:32 PM, ed2962 said:

Warren Ellis is doing an alternative world version of the Wildstorm heroes for DC now. The first issue just came out.

Yes, I know that.  But he was supposed to be writing Karnak for Marvel, and despite excellent reviews, it got killed at least in part because he wouldn't turn in scripts on time.

If you'd told me a year ago that this week I'd be able to buy solo books starring America Chavez and Kate Bishop, I wouldn't have believed you.  

On 2/22/2017 at 7:19 AM, starri said:

That's all she wrote for Patsy Walker.

I actually considered buying that book, but comics today cost $4 or more, and I'm in the process of culling my monthly books to save some money. I was more willing to try out new stuff when comics were cheaper, but now I stick with the characters and writers I know I'll enjoy.

Can someone please explain this to me because it makes no sense at all.  In Inhumans vs X-Men #6, Medusa says:

Spoiler

"Our species' ability to transform through Terrigenesis does not outweigh the lives of a single mutant, much less all of them."

Unless I am remembering incorrectly, Medusa okayed/ordered the death of Cyclops because he destroyed one of the clouds.  Even though that's not what really happened, Cyclops is still dead.  Am I just supposed to forget all the mutants who died?  Are we supposed to cheer on Medusa and castigate Emma?  

Does Marvel think we're all so stupid?  (That might be a rhetorical question, I haven't decided yet.)  For all the talk of both sides having a point, they made it pretty damn clear that the Inhumans were the heroes there at the end, while the X-Men were irrationally attacking them.

Like I said, I'm biased because I love the X-men, but I don't see how anyone, even the staunchest Inhumans fan, can say that this was a well-written story.  

I have an Inhumans related question. When did Black Bolt stop using his cool electron controlling power thing he did through that tuning fork antenna of his? And why? I haven't seen all his appearances in the last several years but it seems that has been kicked to the curb.

In their defense, the theme is catchy AF. I don't think that the franchise is "back." It's like when Batgirl got her Burnside remake, and DC was all, "SHE'S BACK!!!" And I was all, "Dude, I read every New52 issue of that. Gail Simone was writing it. What do you mean Barbara is back? She was back!"

Question Because I'm Too Lazy To Look Up The Answer: What happened to Young Angel's wings? What, did "Evan" give him a makeover?