Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Pre-Existing Conditions

The doctors work 36 consecutive hours in code black and must deal with a distraught mother of two sons who were in a devastating car accident. Meanwhile, Mario bullies Angus into performing an unnecessary operation and lets Angus take the blame when Leanne finds out.

Dang. That mom and son made me cry.

I know I'm clearly supposed to find Young Squire heroic, but I've gotta side with Cocky Doc. If you want to be a doctor in this kind of setting, you can't stand around dithering. And you should have enough confidence that you can't be "bullied". At the end of the day, it's YOUR patient. If you let someone else "make" you do something against your better judgement, that's on you.

I know the ratings are bad, but I'm still really liking this. The small cast and the fact that the action is located entirely inside the hospital are nice changes from a lot of these shows.

• Love 12

I keep mixing this up with Night Shift. You have the doctor with the tragic past performing miracles with gonzo medicine, the calm ethnic doc, the wise black male nurse, the administrator worried about the bottom line, the gay/lesbian doc, the newbie residents, the overflowing waiting room. In the end, I like Night Shift better.

I missed the first episode. Who are those people watching everything over the walls? Med students?

• Love 1

Always glad to watch a show that knows you can't shock flatline. But the bit about "He needs a doctor. Are you a doctor?" annoyed me. Residents are doctors. Interns are doctors. They have all graduated from medical school, but they need more experience. Old joke: "What do you call the guy who graduates last in his medical school class?" "Doctor."

• Love 5

Gah,  Night Shift sucked the big kahuna.  I am really liking this one, the atmosphere is pretty close to reality in an ER, and the cast are wonderful, IMO.

The Night Shift is (was?) a guilty pleasure of mine, but I agree. This show made me realize I missed the pretense at realism and the ER vibe, and I think the cast is just top notch. I even like the geek-doctor, and it's a type I'm usually allergic to, so they must do something right at least in my book.

The first time I saw Luis Guzman was, I think, as a ruthless crime boss on Oz, so it's so funny to see him here as Mama.

I lurve Hudson since ep.1, and maybe it's more of a Night Shift thing but sorry not sorry, I'm so shipping him with Christa (I love B.Somerville because of NYPD Blue) for the time this show will last.

It's too bad there's no promo and the mainstream TV sites seem to ignore it, because it's imo one of the better shows this fall season.

• Love 3

I left the episode at the first ad break. I know Angus is a grown man and is responsible for his own actions, but Mario not stepping up got me so angry.  That Rorish read the situation right and didn't rip a strip off of Mario as well hacked me off.  I hope that Mario was bounced from ER/Trauma his bullying bs

I hope that Angus had a teachable moment where he learned to stand up for his diagnoses, otherwise I am over him too.  I understand that the job is high-pressure, but unless/ until Angus decides he's there for the patients, he's going to be a sad puppy.  That is not what anyone needs or wants.

• Love 1

One thing that bothers me throughout the episodes is the scenes where other physicians / nurses watch what is going on on the centre stage while it is supposedly code black. Since code black means that the ER is overwhelmed with patients, WTF are they doing watching somebody else instead of taking care of their own patients?

• Love 3

One thing that bothers me throughout the episodes is the scenes where other physicians / nurses watch what is going on on the centre stage while it is supposedly code black. Since code black means that the ER is overwhelmed with patients, WTF are they doing watching somebody else instead of taking care of their own patients?

GREAT point!

• Love 3

I thought they were students

Who are those people watching everything over the walls? Med students?

Mama made a comment in the pilot that the room was built in the 30's as an observation room, hence the high angle of the chairs.  I would think it was originally designed for attending physicians to watch a particular operation of significance in somewhat more serene circumstances, but has since been converted over to the madcap ER status.  As to who exactly are the observers, they could be interns all the way to attendings, but I would also think they would need clearance to be there. 

Angus's blunder was just unbelievably bad.  That patient is getting free medical care for a long, long time.  And, other than plot requirements, it's also unbelievable that they would put him back on the floor. 

So they all worked 36 hours straight.  There wasn't a relief  shift that came in?

I thought they were students

Students or not, would their time not be better spent assisting someone elsewhere? Or if they can not touch anything, just to get out of there? Remember again, it is code black. If one could not help, why would one be crowding the space?

• Love 1

Students or not, would their time not be better spent assisting someone elsewhere? Or if they can not touch anything, just to get out of there? Remember again, it is code black. If one could not help, why would one be crowding the space?

State laws? Medical and Nursing boards

Yabut if they couldn't touch a patient, they could run off and fetch lab reports, mop puke off the floor, and do some of the secondary grunt-work, leaving qualified staff to help patients. 

• Love 1

The Night Shift is (was?) a guilty pleasure of mine, but I agree. This show made me realize I missed the pretense at realism and the ER vibe, and I think the cast is just top notch. I even like the geek-doctor, and it's a type I'm usually allergic to, so they must do something right at least in my book.

Honestly, I think I like Night Shift better as well.  At least that doesn't pretend not to be ridiculous.  Because this show has a lead as great as Marcia Gay Harden, I think it has pretense that it's not a cliche-ridden soap:  the nerd, the non-traditional resident, the cocky dickweed, the wise nurse, etc.  This may play a little close to actual medical science than NS does, but it's not completely the same:  there's no way in hell two residents, especially Emergency Medicine residents, would be doing a thoracotomy unsupervised.

State laws? Medical and Nursing boards

The whole point of clinical education for doctors and nurses is to learn by getting your hands dirty.  You're not allowed to do everything a fully licensed doctor can do, but there's plenty you can--starting IVs, doing chest compressions, suturing.

I suspend  belief every day with every single tv show but I just  am having a problem with the idea they don't send some of these patients to other hospitals  I mean really 36 hours  no way new cases would not be sent to the next nearest hospital

Also  code black you have the older black doctor and the older white doctor who hardly ever seem to lend a hand.  The older white guy seems to be more of a an administrator but it is the 36th hours of a code black at least do triage.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2

It's illegal for residents to work for more than 36 hours- residency programs now have rules for that or they could lose their accreditation. But this is just for entertainment- if I wanted to watch a realistic medical drama, I would watch one of those hospital reality shows.

• Love 1

I know this show is nothing new, but I find it strangely compelling.  I mean, if you think back to early ER, there's not much different going on there.  Really, this isn't all that different from ER at its peak; there's just fewer characters to focus on, and we don't see them outside the hospital at all.  

• Love 3

ER did the "should I save the convict" years ago... and did it much better.

House did a "save the convict episode", as well as a "to save or kill a sadistic, murderous dictator" arc. In both cases, House did it better. (It didn't hurt that the dictator was played by James Earl Jones!)

Hell, I'll bet even Marcus Welby had an equivalent at some point. It's far from an original idea.

It's like this show knows it won't last long, so they are pulling out every cliche', trope, and dramatic plot device in the history of tv medical drama and throwing it all in up front. If by some insane twist of tv scheduling fate, they don't get cancelled, what will they have left for season 2?

Writers, seriously, PACE YOURSELVES with the melodrama and "very special episode" type plots! You haven't earned them yet.

Edited by slothgirl

I don't know; after listening to the convict talking about how his victims died and how he enjoyed it, I would have had a hard time saving his life.

Yes, but we knew she would. There was no suspense at all. And we aren't invested enough in the characters yet to care whether she did/didn't, or what might happen to her if she let him die.

The only part of this show that's working is the supervisor's sarcasm (Kevin Dunn) and Mama & Papa's banter. Even those are starting to sound forced rather than spontaneous, like they make sure to have a scene of each every episode, even when the writer's can't come up with anything pithy. (They should watch the early seasons' House/Wilson banter to see how it's done)

I had hopes for this show from watching the ads, but it really is disappointing.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1

I like it, it's my new weekly cry show. I keep telling the Mr. to grab the kleenex before we watch (I'm a suck I know). Although I do have to say that I have obviously watched a few too many medical dramas when I can guess at the beginning what everyone's ailment is (and I am usually right or pretty close). LOVE Mama!

• Love 2

I am a HUGE ER fan...and I find myself making comparisons to the Doctors the guy in the white coat--the "Boss"  will always be AlmostAnspaugh to me and  Blondie is WannabeSusan...but I liken young Squire to Jimmy from The Practice.  

I liked when they all started singing...and that look she gave him after he said, "and the coloured girls sing...."  hee.  

Edited by gryphon