Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Ka Papahana Holo Pono (Best Laid Plans)

• Start Topic

So, it was the first of what we must assume will be several episodes without Danny this season but at least the writers have a believable device to excuse Scott Caan's  absences and a subject they can make future good use of to develop his character, and I actually liked this episode. We had really good, even handed, use of the whole of the rest of the team - all of them had good screen-time and there was great Ohana-feels regarding Steve's Cath-less sadness. Rather goes to prove that four is the key number (I'm not including Jerry because I still believe he is wholly unnecessary and annoying, although even he was used well. Max too, come to that) in sustaining characters and dialogue and plotting.

The case was good (albeit rather cliched) and I really liked all the exterior locations used - felt like we got around the island when all too often the show only gives us HQ and the inside of hotels and offices. Nice bits of humour too - Kono's jibes about Steve's car brought a smile.

To begin with I was really hating the prospect of the Adam torture stuff (we get enough of that - too much - in this show) but, in fact, it was relatively limited, and by the end I can begrudgingly accept that it paved the way for his move back to the dark side to protect what he has and that, while somewhat predictable, heralds more good story lines. 

Willie Garson's return worked well but, as a Brit, I hatehatehate the tendency of shows to just pop a random celebrity into the mix to deliver some PR message - in this case, about the NFL (am I right? is that what he was doing there?). The product placement/sponsorship is bad enough but these extra little, usually horribly delivered, scenes are just weird - Criminal Minds did something similar at the beginning of their show this week and it is always painful and awful. 

Got to admit, I had been really looking forward to some wonderful Danno/Steve support/friendship scenes this week. Danny is my main reason for watching the show, so any episode without him is totally wasted to me (and very often skipped entirely) but I can admit, this one worked out okay. * Fingers crossed* I'm hoping it shows the writers may have learned a few things. 

Edited by Roselle

Yes, i found myself scratching my head and thinking, "are we supposed to know who this Rice guy is?" (Even after they said who he is/was.) and all in front of the big sign for the hotel bar. Oh well, it's probably expensive to film in Hawai'i, they need all the breaks they can get.

I had totally forgotten about Danny's other kid and the bone marrow business; glad they ended up explaining that by the end.

There seemed to be a lot more humor in this episode than usual.

"Could you step on the gas?"

"Oooh, he was on Dancing with the Stars!"

Everything Gerard was wearing.

And best of all, Steve staring longingly at Catherine's abandoned toothbrush.

• Love 2

If 5-O was really working hard on Kono's case, they'd find the guy who beat up her husband and stole his money in an episode or two. Why isn't it a priority for them? The way the storyline is developing is stupid, dragging him back into a life of crime.

Speaking of stupid, not only doesn't Kono ask where her husband has been for hours after leaving the hospital, but when he takes his injured hand out of a bucket of ice and puts it on her back, she doesn't notice how cold it is?

• Love 4

If Steve really wants to honor Catherine's memory he'll put that toothbrush to good use and clean his guns with it. Or his toilet.

The crooked art dealer made a good point about him and Kono having something special. In all of five years he's the only one she wore that black leather skirt for. Not even Adam has seen her in it.

Kono had fantastic hair in this episode. I don't know what they're doing differently but she looked great.

The football player cameo was pretty random but I am looking at it from a non-American perspective. I once saw an American friend of mine get into a football discussion with someone else and they went into their own world for a few minutes, non-stop spouting stats and previous victories and et cetera. It was quite something to see. It made me wonder if I look the same when I (a Canadian) talk about hockey with someone.

I liked Grover helping Steve get other Cath. And for once in his life, Steve actually listens! I don't feel like he would have listened to Danny and we would have seen Steve moping by himself (and perhaps snuggling Cath's toothbrush) while everyone else is out having fun. And Kono giving Steve shit for his driving was also gold. This show gets good mileage out of mixing up the pairings.

A white Yakuza guy? Have we already typecast every single Asian actor in Hawaii as a gangster? However, just looking at the Wiki article it seems the Yakuza recruit from "all walks of life" so I guess it's not unprecedented. I'd much rather see a flashback episode of how this random white dude got into the Yakuza instead of yet another episode of "I want my money back!"

And if Adam is supposed to be Yakuza he would know to start the torture off with the removal of a finger or two. Previous posters are absolutely correct - this guy isn't going to talk because you slugged him a few times and breathed down his neck. Hasn't Adam ever seen Reservoir Dogs? Cut his pinky finger off. Tell him his thumb is next. After that he'll tell you if he wears women's underwear.

• Love 1

As cheesy at is was, I'm glad to see the acknowledgement that Cath leaving really shoot Steve up. I'm very glad it wasn't just business as usual, as if nothing ever happened.

I liked Grover complaining about Steve driving. Danny can be assured that it isn't personal! And I really loved that scene with Grover and Steve on their way to the hospital to see Danny. That is a very nice friendship developing between the 3 of them (and Chin of course!).

As cheesy at is was, I'm glad to see the acknowledgement that Cath leaving really shoot Steve up. I'm very glad it wasn't just business as usual, as if nothing ever happened.

I liked Grover complaining about Steve driving. Danny can be assured that it isn't personal! And I really loved that scene with Grover and Steve on their way to the hospital to see Danny. That is a very nice friendship developing between the 3 of them (and Chin of course!).

In the scene where Kono and Steve are trying to get the tube with the painting off the highway, I wondered why one of them didn't just hold up their hand and stop traffic instead of nearly getting run over.  They had police paraphernalia on after all.

I liked Grover taking Danny an eggplant parm in the hospital.  And I'm glad they didn't forget all about that side story of Danny's son.

I agree that they have already dragged out the Adam/Yakuza/Gabriel storyline too long.  I hope it's not supposed to be a season long story arc.

Not even marginally interested in the Adam goes dark story - used the ff-button throughout his scenes. The rest was okay, nice team interactions and Mozzie is always a welcome additon. The caricatures were great - although I would have liked to see them a bit longer than just for a nanosecond.

I agree that they have already dragged out the Adam/Yakuza/Gabriel storyline too long.  I hope it's not supposed to be a season long story arc.

They are. It is the cost of killing off Wo Fat

• Love 1

Just getting through all my Hawaii 5-0 on my DVR. So happy to see the Sheraton Waikiki, was just there a week ago and I kept looking for those guys. 

I am tired of all this Adam money stuff. I really want them to wrap this up fast. 

• Love 2

Just getting through all my Hawaii 5-0 on my DVR. So happy to see the Sheraton Waikiki, was just there a week ago and I kept looking for those guys. 

I am tired of all this Adam money stuff. I really want them to wrap this up fast. 

Agree. I really don't like Adam\Ian Anthony Dale

All I could think of is why the heck didn't Catherine pack her toothbrush??

Exactly.  I immediately thought, "Sheesh, Catherine didn't take her toothbrush!"

They are. It is the cost of killing off Wo Fat

The smartest thing the original 5-0 series did was keep Wo Fat as the almost phantom baddie who only showed up now and then.  His presence was felt throughout the series but we seldom saw him in his never-ending war against McGarrett.  It was genius.

I've enjoyed the story arc of Adam divorcing himself from his Yakuza legacy and am not too happy at the story that has him going back to the dark side to protect his wife.  Why can't he and Kono be happy for five minutes?  Add that to being heartily sick of Gabriel, this is not good news.

On the other hand, anytime Mozzie shows up on any show as any character is a good thing.  The Jerry Rice thing was almost slightly believable for me as Hawaii is such a tourist destination for the rabble and celebrity alike.  That a football/reality show guy would show up in a bar and be corralled by a group for a picture isn't all that strange.  Best part: "Hey, wasn't he on Dancing With the Stars?"  Awesome.

I love this cheesy show.  I really do.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 3

Add me to those sick of Adam's storyline. It has gone on far too long, and now adding in Gabriel just makes it that much worse.

I wish the writers would take whatever creative energy they are using on Adam's storyline and apply it to the main story. One good plot is much better than two sub-par plots, IMO.

• Love 1

I am so pleased to learn that there are others who are sick of the whole "star crossed lovers from different sides of the law" subplot (I was so happy when it all-too-briefly looked like both Kono and Adam were leaving the show , a season or two ago),  AND the Jerry character.Every time his character appears on screen, my heart sinks. Is he supposed to be comic relief? Do the script writers actually think the audience identifies with him, as the "super competent" (ha, ha!) 5-0 force is too intimidating ? He's worse than Melanie Griffith's last season  turn as  mom-but at  least the show dropped her and  didn't shoehorn her character into show after show after show...

• Love 3

Until the camera shift made it obvious, I didn't get that Steve was gazing mournfully at Catherine's abandoned toothbrush.  When they showed him looking into the bathroom, at first I thought he was eyeing something in the medicine cabinet, some drugs or whatever to "help" him through his pain and sadness.  I thought "oh great, now we're going to have a 'Steve-McGarrett-decends-into-drug-addiction' story arc, and that's not going to be awkward, what with Alex O'Loughlin's history..."  Thankfully, it was just the Lt. Rollins Memorial Oral Hygiene Implement, a monument to her passive/aggressive treatment of her long suffering boyfriend and lack of thorough packing skills.

Oh!  And H50 Frogger!  Awesome...

• Love 3

Oh!  And H50 Frogger!  Awesome...

Frogger went through my head too.

I agree that Adam getting sucked back into the Yakuza is a dreary prospect. I love the actor, but the storyline has been unbelievable from the get go. 

I spent most of the Jerry Rice scene thinking of the time I saw him in person at some event 20+ years ago. The man was gorgeous in person - way more charismatic than on TV.  So I didn't even listen to most of the dialogue. But it was a weird choice.

Doesn't facial recognition require a clean shaven face to begin with? Maybe the technology has advanced, but with that hermit beard, it would be impossible to identify the guy's chin structure, among other things.

I personally like Jerry, though more as a recurring character than a regular character. I have great affection for the actor, but the character doesn't add a lot except in special cases.

The 5-O cases aren't primarily cyber crimes or esoteric knowledge. It's kidnapping, drugs, etc., real violent crimes. I don't see Jerry being of use on every case, even though when it's been something like hacking the drone, he's been reliable. It would be better if they contracted him as a consultant to use now and then, and just gave him a job in HPD as a favor for him. So you'd see him around enough, but then not needed for every episode. 

I'm surprised they don't have a few CIs floating around. 

I'm surprised they don't have a few CIs floating around. 

Well they started with Kamekona who I think was Chin Ho's as a cop who joined McGarrett's family, but as another one Sang Min described everybody on the island knew he was 5-0's bitch so he became mostly comic relief until Jerry showed up. Sang Min himself but as a human trafficker they couldn't keep getting him out of prison 48 Hours style. Xzibit's Jason Decker the relatively clean arms dealer. And Danny had a computer guy also mainly replaced by Jerry

Edited by Raja

That's not that many after 100+ episodes though. I suppose since these are fairly whacked out crimes, you're not going to have your nuclear weapons CI. It can be a little much even for this show that someone knows something about everything all the time.