Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Dead Man Walking

So New Phil is now the one in the love triangle, still having feeling for Carol while being in a relationship with Erica.

And Phil, er Tandy, er Phil...you have the worst timing ever. Apologizing to everyone by gunpoint, right after Carol convinced everyone to give him a second chance, is by far the (most intentional) dumbest move he's made. He pretty much deserves the stockade.

• Love 3

I tried, but I think I'm done. Not that it's gotten worse or anything, i just asked myself why I'm still watching, and the company of Mary Steenburgen and the sight of Boris Kodjoe weren't good enough answers. The character of Phil-Tandy is no longer interesting or welcome to me (no second/third chance from me), and Kristen Schaal is just plain unendurable to me under all circumstances -- Flight of the Conchords, 30 Rock, and now here. I hope those who enjoy the series have a good time with it; I wish I could have been one of them.

• Love 2

I seriously dislike the rest of the "crew", and while Tandy's approach wasn't the greatest, nor the most sane, he was technically warned that he'd be "unsafe" there from the note. The instant punishment was a little extreme, especially since he did have nice things to say. I like the show, so I'm just hoping it's not a complete rehash of season one from here on out.

I kind of wish him and Carol moved on, in hopes of finding a new group somewhere. Besides Todd, I find all of these characters to be a little boring.

But, hey. RIP, Gordon.

• Love 5
Apologizing to everyone by gunpoint...

This made the episode for me, it was so awfully hilarious, IMO. I'm so sorry, I would never hurt you guys-- I WILL SHOOT YOU TO DEATH! HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE! But I'm a changed man, really.... So wrong, Tandy, just so, so wrong. Every time. Thank you.

I can't think of another sitcom in which that kind of wonderfully terrible situation could play out for our enjoyment. But I always have loved gallow's humor, so maybe this is just right up my alley. Maybe the show should be called Laugh At The Pain, or something, instead. Then there'd just be a bunch of weirdos like me watching and enjoying it.

Edited by Liqidclark
  • Love 6

Chalk me up as someone else not really into the gang. I dropped season 1 about halfway through as more people started showing up, partially because of Phil's antics, but partially everyone except for Carol left me fairly cold. I did watch the finale, however, and decided to give it another shot because of Jason Sudeikis. I loved that the first two episodes this season got back to the surreal isolation of how the show started. The goofiness there was balanced by the absolute grimness of the situation.

I'm not going to abandon the show again just yet, but I'm hoping we don't retread back into the same hijinks that I found to be a turn off the first time around.

• Love 4

I've watched all season one and now the first 3 of season two.  I'm wondering why I still watch it but I guess simply because It's become habitual.

Phil's character and antics have become worse with each episode and the rest of the cast leave me pretty cold.

I'll continue to watch it to see how awful it gets.

Aw, I still like the show AND Phil/Tandy, whom I'll just call Phil (and the other guy New Phil).

I completely understand why Phil came in with a gun to apologize and make them listen. He read the note that said he'd be dead if he returned. Then he heard everyone still angry with him and still hating him. For all her knew, one or more of them had a gun, and that's why he had them sit with their hands in the air. Of course I wish he hadn't done that, but I understand.

Phil really has changed. However, I'm worried that the group's treatment of him in the stockade will bring back some of his assholery. I hope not.

New Phil: The last time I saw you, we were making love.

Carol, all casual: Is that right?

Carol: Har de har har, Phil. You're a friggin Brad Garrett.

Loved the bit where Phil blows M&M Minis out of his nose.

• Love 4

Save me a seat on the "I don't care for the rest of the gang" bus! I too lost interest last season as more and more people were added. And this season started off so promisingly with just PhilTandy and Carol. and Phil's brother (?) out in space... I had hoped this season would be either two parallel stories with Phil/Carol and the brother, or it would be about P/C finding a new "gang."  I personally don't find any of the other characters on this show to be of interest.  Another season of "Tandy the Outcast" is not what I'm wanting...

• Love 5

My hubby and I disagree on the gang, he likes them and I do not. I loved the first two episodes of the season, Phil and Carol on their own, the White House, the Stealth bomber. Now I am disappointed the gang has shown up. I can't stand Melissa, New Phil and Australian girl are completely boring, and though she is a nice lady, I can't get over what Mary Steenburgen has done to her face. I want it just to be Phil and Carol again!

• Love 4

My favorite parts are of Phil and Carol or just Carol. I know Kristen Schall annoys some people, but I love her. I get the sense we won't be staying in Malibu for that long. I hope not anyway. I find the gang to be okay but the endless love triangles seem tired. Since there is almost no one left, wouldn't it make sense to just be polyamorous?

• Love 3

I get why Phil came with the gun. I  get why they put him in the garrotte over it.

I prefer Carol and Phil and would be happy with just them but I don't completely hate the rest of the crew.  In fact, I got laughs out of New Phil expecting Carol to get back together with him and how Melissa knew that Phil was alive before Carol said it.  I get why they feel they need a crew because two people would be hard to maintain.  But it does worry me a bit that they introduced so many characters so quickly. Can they reveal new wrinkles to help grow the comedy?  I'm less certain about that.

Save me a seat on the "I don't care for the rest of the gang" bus! I too lost interest last season as more and more people were added. And this season started off so promisingly with just PhilTandy and Carol. and Phil's brother (?) out in space... I had hoped this season would be either two parallel stories with Phil/Carol and the brother, or it would be about P/C finding a new "gang."  I personally don't find any of the other characters on this show to be of interest.  Another season of "Tandy the Outcast" is not what I'm wanting...

Yes!  You've said everything I came here to say.  

I am not interested in the gang hates Phil retread.  I hated it the first time and am not going to watch it a second time.  Maybe it would be a better show if Phil and Carol drove around the country in their RV meeting still living rando of the week, or something.   The one and only thing I'm still curious about is Space Bro, but at this point I don't know if I'll stick around to see his return to earth.

Edited by RealityCreator
  • Love 5

This made the episode for me, it was so awfully hilarious, IMO. I'm so sorry, I would never hurt you guys-- I WILL SHOOT YOU TO DEATH! HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE! But I'm a changed man, really.... So wrong, Tandy, just so, so wrong. Every time. Thank you.

I can't think of another sitcom in which that kind of wonderfully terrible situation could play out for our enjoyment. But I always have loved gallow's humor, so maybe this is just right up my alley. Maybe the show should be called Laugh At The Pain, or something, instead. Then there'd just be a bunch of weirdos like me watching and enjoying it.

That scene made the episode for me, too.  Absolute comedy gold.  But the thing is: it needed to make the episode, because the whole episode leading up to it was subpar to say the least.  Had they not come through with that awesome bit at the end, I would be leaning toward dropping the show as well.

It is interesting to read the discussion of the gang vs. just Phil and Carol.  I definitely am not into the gang: that's more crystal clear now than ever.  Driving around the country and meeting the "living rando of the week" is an interesting idea.  But I also have the sense that I wouldn't mind a regular group of supporting characters--just not this group.

What they need (easier said than done) is a group that makes sense as a group, people who play off each other well.  The problem with the group they have is that they were introduced one by one (or two in one case) as episodic foils for Phil in one way or another.  When they were getting introduced that way, it kind of worked.  But when you just settle in and that's the group, it does not work.  Anyone else feel me on this?

• Love 2

I loved the episode from start to finish, Carol`s drawings depicting Phil/Tandy meeting his end at the Grand Canyon were priceless and her `Viewer discretion advised` was comedy gold. I am glad to see the Tuscon/Malibu crew, I think they are all very important pieces of the whole story, I hope they all stay together and I hope Phil/Tamdy annoys the hell out of them. Despite some evidence to suggest he is a changed man (going around looking for Carol when he inadvertently left her behind and taking her back to Tuscon are things he would NEVER have done in the first season) his clumsy attempt to flirt with Melissa at the end of the episode would make me think he`s still the same really and for that I am grateful.

I just loved it. Of  course  Phil would do  something like that. Of  course. I haven't got strong feelings for the group  (I  like Todd and Melissa, I'm meh about the  other two women and New Philip annoys me sometimes  because he's so damn perfect), so I'm okay  with the new situation  (for  now).

I think Carol was the MVP in  this episode. At the beach, wailing at the beach like some crazy woman from a gothic story, her pictures... Perfect.

• Love 2

I'd like to think that after this fiasco, that Phil & Carol will be getting out of Malibu. Everyone came out with their honest thoughts, and when Phil gets out of the stockade, what will happen next? Either Phil & Carol get the hell outta there, or Phil tries to kill everyone for real.

2023? So we have 8 years to prepare for the world-ending pandemic, alrighty then.

I like Todd and Melissa but am meh about the other three to the point that I can only remember one of their names because, duh, it's Phil. Maybe if their back stories were fleshed out a bit, we'd have some better motivation for wanting to keep them around.

I mentioned it before but yeah, I much prefer the concept of "revolving rando of the week" as Phil and Carol travelled around. It worked great for Gilligan's Island.

I wouldn't mind the occasional appearance of the other five occasionally within that construct. Like, Phil and Carol run into Melissa in Nashville or whatever and discover she is now with New Phil. Ot they meet Todd with a new woman. Or something.

• Love 1

The thing that bugs me most about them being back with the gang is that now everyone calls him Tandy again, which I was never a fan of. I don't like the midseries name switch or think it's funny. It's just annoying. And the plot is extremely repetitive.

The other thing is now I don't know why they still like Carol. I mean I get that originally, part of the point was Carol seemed so out there, a little off, and yet everyone loved her and thought she was great. And Phil, who until he got hardcore into his "throw caution to the wind and just have sex with everybody at all costs" hijinx otherwise seemed more, sort of, average dude. But now it's pretty clear Carol's on team OriginalPhil, and she's kind of nutty and she lied about his being dead, and just...if they're so dead set against Phil for being a lying liar who lies, I don't get why they haven't turned on Carol yet. Or do they just think she's been influenced by him a bad dude? It really would make more sense to have them go off on their own. So far the quiet episodes were the ones I liked best, in both seasons. And by "quiet" I mean those where we're reminded just how empty the world is.

• Love 2

I have read as many reviews of TLMOE as I can find, it amazes me that there are those who prefer just Phil and Carol and would rather do without the others. The interaction between and amongst the other characters is what makes it such a brilliant show. Gail and Erica now both hate Carol, Todd has not forgiven Phil/Tandy, new Phil has just the right hint of menace beneath the surface to make me think he just MIGHT try and kill our hero, and as for the name Tandy, that is just perfect. I hope the Tuscon crew (they will always be the Tuscon crew to me) stay around forever. 

if they're so dead set against Phil for being a lying liar who lies, I don't get why they haven't turned on Carol yet. 

I don't think they're against Phil because he's a liar. They're against him because they see him as dangerous. He tried to kill Todd and has been sexually creepy to all of the women. He chased away only source of milk because he was jealous of Todd and wanted to be the hero. And then he held the whole group at gun point. I think they see him as a ticking time bomb and for their own safety, want to stay away from him. 

Edited by Rockstar99435
  • Love 2

True, but the gun incident happened well after what I was referring to. And NewPhil very much tried to kill him. You could argue he did so after concluding Phil was a danger to them, but it seemed like he did it on his own, not necessarily with the rest of the group's agreement that it was OK to murder Phil. Although at this point I guess they're sort of all on board there. I guess they're all less than stable. It's still not funny to me though.

I think they would argue that Phil2 was acting in self-defense of the group and point out that he left Phil1 with 2 days worth of food and water, while Phil1 was just going to leave Todd in the desert with no food or water. It's been a while since I've seen the episode, but I'm pretty sure the group (sans Carol) was in on the plan to kick Phil1 out.

I agree with you that the whole group is unstable, but they all spent 2 years alone thinking that everyone on Earth was dead, which has got to mess with your head.

I think they would argue that Phil2 was acting in self-defense of the group and point out that he left Phil1 with 2 days worth of food and water, while Phil1 was just going to leave Todd in the desert with no food or water. It's been a while since I've seen the episode, but I'm pretty sure the group (sans Carol) was in on the plan to kick Phil1 out.

Exactly.  They wanted him gone more than they wanted him dead.  Except for maybe Phil 2 but even he gave Phil 1 the supplies. 

As for why they're not mad at Carol, they might be.  But I also think motive plays a role here.  Phil mostly lied to try to get laid.  He tried to kill Todd so he could have sex.  He even kept the two groups apart, two groups who really would have loved to know the other group existed, just so he could have sex.  His lies were lame and his reasons for doing so were even lamer. 

Carol's reasons at least made sense to them and they were more likely to forgive her given they feel they know her as a generally good person.

• Love 2