Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Josh Just Happens To Live Here

I am looking forward to this. Rebecca and Aline were talking about it but on the ScriptNotes podcast back when it was on Showtime. I think it had a different title then as well, but I could be mistaken.

Loved the pilot. -- perfect lead in to Jane the Virgin.

And can any one confirm who's voicing the mother? It sounds like Tovah Feldshuh, but there's nothing on either her IMdB page or the show's.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 3

And can any one confirm who's voicing the mother? It sounds like Tovah Feldshuh, but there's nothing on either her IMdN page or the show's.

Thought the exact same thing when I heard her voice. And it wasn't for  second either. It's gotta be Tovah, she has such a distinctive voice.

I thought this was great, and honestly, I became fully invested by the time she showed up at the office and then loving the bartender. He must be sticking around if he gets the best line of the night - "Cause you're pretty and smart and you're ignoring me, so you're obviously my type."

• Love 1

loving the bartender. He must be sticking around if he gets the best line of the night - "Cause you're pretty and smart and you're ignoring me, so you're obviously my type."

Oh, if you don't know Santino Fontana, you're in for a treat. Look up two things on YouTube: The web series Submissions Only, absolutely the best of the theater-related web series, and he's one of the leads. And his concert soloing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (it's all on there in pieces), which shows off his musical skills. When he finally gets to sing on this show, he'll reveal the most amazing voice of all.

• Love 3

I'm in!   The Sexy Getting Ready song was funnier than I expected.  OMG,when you see the blood splat after she pulled the strip from waxing her butt! then the backups sing "ass blood"  Ha!  and eew.

I really like the lady who plays the paralegal co-worker and now is Rebecca's friend. She is just naturally funny in her deliveries. I think she will be one of my faves.

• Love 3

I had no intention of watching this show, but my tv happened to be on while I was working on my computer. I was only half paying attention but it made me laugh. I was shocked when she first burst into song though. I was not expecting that. I'm not sure I can handle the kookiness long term, but I'll check out a few more episodes. I'm already shipping her with the bartender.

I'm in!   The Sexy Getting Ready song was funnier than I expected.  OMG,when you see the blood splat after she pulled the strip from waxing her butt! then the backups sing "ass blood"  Ha!  and eew.

Yes this made me laugh so hard.  I was glad they had her recognize how crazy it was to do this. But funny twist that the paralegal is just fine with helping her out with Josh.  Definately entertaining but I wonder how it will all go. Seems like it could only reasonably go 1 year.

There is NO WAY I would have ever even considered watching this show if not for that positive review.

agreed. This show wasn't even on my radar until I saw the review here.  "Sexy Getting Ready Song" totally sold me on the show, and Santino was totally charming.

And the rapper's apologies at the end made me laugh out loud.

I'm in. 

• Love 5

I forgot what the description for the show was, but knew I wanted to check it out (hence why I set up a Season Pass), but when I first started playing it I had to come on here and see what you all thought because I wasn't sure I liked it.  I read how much you all loved it so I stuck with it.  I fell completely in love with it.  I even saved it to rewatch later (which I hardly ever do since I have so much on my TiVo to watch).  I love everything about this.  I just wanted to keep watching it forever. 

Rachel Bloom is a pure delight.  Rebecca may be "crazy", but I love her interactions with her boss, co-workers and Greg.  I particularly love Paula (?) and how now that she knows Rebecca's secret she's totally on board.  I thought she was going to be the adversary for the whole show. 

There were also so many funny lines- too many to list!

Just- the name!  Ugh.  It is so derogatory.  How do they not see that??

• Love 1

I kind of liked it--not sure yet?  I could do without the songs for sure, though.  They dragged out far too long for me.  I just wonder how long the premise can continue, but it is kind of a cute show.  

"Sexy Getting Ready" song was so reminiscent of a "Flight of the Concords" number, I fell completely and helplessly in love. Especially when the rapper came in and was like no. can't do it. I love Santino Fontana, and Greg is sweet and adorable. I'm definitely checking in again next week.

• Love 5

I had a feeling I would love this show after watching the Paley panel video. If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it as the cast is hilarious.

I recognized the mother's voice as Tovah Feldshuh right away so if it isn't her they hired someone to sound exactly like her!

Big Santino Fontana and Donna Lynne Champlin fan so I am very much looking forward to this season as I thought they were both great characters. He may be replaying the Aaron Miller thing but boy is he good at it! Donna was also in Submissions only. I hope his schedule with Shades of Blue doesn't create a conflict but if they are both produced by CBS I could see some flexibility.

I had no idea who Rachel Bloom was but she is a delight. So funny and sharp but also natural in her acting. Sometimes creators/actors can be exaggerated as actors but I felt she was very natural especially with some of the more subdued or emotional scenes.

Season pass for me!

Edited by OptimisticCynic
  • Love 2

I thought the title was meant to be edgy; it's sort of half-ironic, half serious, and some "look at how women are defined by men."  

I liked the change-up between pure musical and pure romantic comedy; in tone it reminds me of Brisco County Jr.

I loved the callbacks at the end--the reprise of "West Covina" and the rapper calling up women individually to apologize, with the long list still to go (I'm not sure if that was an Arrow season one shout out or just a sight gag; probably the latter.)

Did the head lawyer remind anyone else of Jim Dangle from Reno 911! or was that just me?

• Love 3

..... with the long list still to go (I'm not sure if that was an Arrow season one shout out or just a sight gag; probably the latter.)

I t was probably just a sight gag but it would be a very funny and clever Arrow shout out!

I didn't know what to expect when I tuned in but I ended up loving it.  I'm not a fan of Broadway, especially musicals which I find loud and annoying, but I loved them used on this show.  The rapper apologizing at the end had me cracking up.  I'm in.

The fact that it's an American show with a white female lead who is head over heels crazypants in love with an Asian male lead - without making any big deal of that at all as being off the wall - is so incredibly progressive it makes me want this show on forever.  

Unfortunately, that title though!  Sad to hear that the ratings were bad.  I don't know what that usually means for the CW.  

Rachel Bloom seems incredibly talented.  There were some things I didn't love, but the Sexy Getting Ready song is the catchiest thing in the world; thought it would never get out of my head.

The "NYC" scenes at the beginning really reminded me of mid-town Toronto, so I wonder.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

And can any one confirm who's voicing the mother? It sounds like Tovah Feldshuh, but there's nothing on either her IMdB page or the show's.

bYfrU7i.jpg

• Love 6

I didn't expect to like it so much. It was fun and fresh and sadly doomed from before the premiere because of the title, the subject matter and the marketing. Maybe it could have lived on cable (or maybe a streaming service), but not on network TV.

I hope they'll show all the episodes at least.

I really hope people can look behind the title, because I thought this was great.

Word to whoever said it reminded them of Galavant, because I totally got that vibe. 

Rachel Bloom seems like she will be an excellent leading lady. I feel like she has to kind of walk a fine line, between being sympathetic, and being a little stalker-ish. 

• Love 2
I don't have a problem with the title.  There are crazy exes, men and women.

Yes, that is a literal fact that there are crazy male exes.  However, a different connotation surrounds the phrase "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" versus "Crazy Ex-Boyfriend", because of sexism.

• Love 4

Yeah, I kinda assumed that this would be pretty derogatory to women based on the title and the hapless look of the lead in the poster. Thankfully it ended up being charming, but I'm sure plenty of people got turned off. It's like what happened to Selfie. The title was awful (and admittedly the pilot was not the best), but it ended up being funny and charming, but no one watched it.

Also, I tried to Google it and apparently there was a show last year called "My Crazy Ex" and I got hella confused.

• Love 3

Also, everyone thinks that their own ex is crazy, but I'm sure most other people think that that person is 'normal' or regular, you know?  Everyone has an insanely biased view of their own ex-boyfriend or ex-girlfriend.  It's such a loaded phrase.  Cougar Town suffered from this same problem.  I don't even like the title The Good Wife so I've got a pretty radical view on these things.  It's clear that the character is pretty objectively crazy though (my opinion).  Though I could also imagine myself doing something similar if I had that ridiculous Manhattan's lawyer salary.  I just would never blow someone to get them off the scent of it.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Wait, what? I thought they just made out? That's what I get for not paying full attention. I  couldn't figure out why she was so enamored with skateboarding Josh, who only stuck it out for eight months then ran home (not that I'm saying NYC is better or anything, but Josh was kinda wishy washy, obviously running back out of insecurity instead of really knowing what he wanted), when she had sweet, cutie bartender guy right there.

The fact that it's an American show with a white female lead who is head over heels crazypants in love with an Asian male lead - without making any big deal of that at all as being off the wall - is so incredibly progressive it makes me want this show on forever.  ...

I love this about it too. Of course, the bartender is obviously the endgame, but progress! I also loved Selfie for making John Cho and Karen Gillan OTP's.

• Love 2

She kept putting her head down towards his pants and trying to unzip him :)  Thankfully he stopped her.  That, and her breasts just seemed to be everywhere.  I think I'm getting old.   I don't seem to mind when Rihanna does it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1

It's clear that the character is pretty objectively crazy though (my opinion).  Though I could also imagine myself doing something similar if I had that ridiculous Manhattan's lawyer salary.  I just would never blow someone to get them off the scent of it.  

I wonder whether there was a component of denial in her actions. Maybe I was just overly influenced by how truly appalled she was when Paula confronted her and she started to say that obviously she hadn't done all of those things because that would make her crazy. But if she was lying to herself as much as to us when she sang the praises of West Covina and claimed it was a random coincidence that Josh just happens to live there, then she might also have told herself that she was just going on a casual date with Greg etc. It's the difference between being ridiculously out of control and being deliberately ruthless.

Do we know what medication she is supposed to be taking?

• Love 1

Oh my gosh this show was adorable! Rebecca is bubbly and fun and charming and I love her paralegal BFF. The Sexy Getting Ready song was hilarious with the waxing and the Spanx and the rapper. I found myself smiling at the screen several times.

I will never, ever understand how a good, fun show like this winds up low-rated and struggling on the CW while run of the mill shows like Quantico get big publicity pushes from ABC. Just...the title, man. The title. I get what they're trying to do with the title, but...I'm not sure it's conducive to drawing viewers.

The "NYC" scenes at the beginning really reminded me of mid-town Toronto, so I wonder.

Those were definitely LA buses going by; the red and orange Metro buses and the one with the swoosh might have been DASH? Not sure.

I liked it a lot, sorry to hear about the ratings but hopefully the CW knows the quality of what they've got here. But I was pre-disposed to like Rachel Bloom; her Youtube videos are great.

when she had sweet, cutie bartender guy right there.

There's no way Rebecca noticed anything about Greg; she seemed completely preoccupied about Josh.

Oh, small sight gag I liked: the first "West Covina" song, staged in Manhattan, has a closeup on Rebecca, framed with the sign for "Jo's Fish" behind her... and her head blocks out the middle, making it "Josh".

• Love 1

"Bitches I need to apologize to"-- so awesome.

If the ratings are bad because of the title, I actually think that's terrific. But now they need to re-brand it-- ASAP, because there's a lot to love.

I love the same things everyone else loves-- the "sexy getting ready" commentary and rapper reaction, the surprise that her co-worker is friendly and I guess as crazy as she is, that she realizes what she's done is crazy, that her love-object is an Asian American man, and that she actually is a highly competent and hard-working lawyer, apparently, and not a global fuck up.

Also.... I really enjoyed the way they exposed the casual racism. The way she is totally offended by her boss, and even says she's going to talk to him about it, and she's neither intimidated nor losing her cool over it-- those situations are really hard to navigate, because you can't just let it go, but if you say anything, it's always uncomfortable. So her apparent confidence in the face of it, speaks to a certain unflappability and success that I really like, and which is rare in real life OR on TV, I think. So she's not totally crazy, and actually other than the Josh thing, seems to be rather remarkably together... I want to see how they work that out.

I also liked: "I don't know much, but I do know it's not good to hook up with a crying girl." It's a low bar, but still needs to be said, unfortunately. But he was cool in general, and way more perceptive than she was, so I hope this doesn't turn into a love triangle from hell. I don't know what I want them to do, I just know I don't want to be bored. So, please, please keep surprising me, and don't trope us all to death.

• Love 10

Does anyone know who behind the music on this show? Broadway? Disney? The songs almost remind me of enchanted

Also I hope the rapper guy keeps ON reoccurring character. Like have a mini feminist arch throughout the show.

Chan looks so 90s...cant stop starring though

Also does anyone have any new show title ideas?

• Love 1

Far and away my favorite pilot this fall (although the competition wasn't too fierce). The Sexy Getting Ready song was amazing and was the moment I knew I was on board.

I was worried about the characterization of Rebecca heading in because of the title and marketing, but I'm glad outside of her crazy for Josh, she seems completely competent in every other area of life. 

I think Paula said about three words before I decided she was my favorite character and hoped she was going to be around a lot. I love the lead, too. It's charming and fun. Thanks, PTV, or I would have missed this.   

• Love 1

I kinda liked that 2015 Josh was pretty obviously not perfect. Quitting New York after eight months, and also esp that douchey little "boom" gesture while reciting his home zip code...

Oh, small sight gag I liked: the first "West Covina" song, staged in Manhattan, has a closeup on Rebecca, framed with the sign for "Jo's Fish" behind her... and her head blocks out the middle, making it "Josh".

They did the same thing with another sign in the previous phrase, making it say "Gosh" for a moment. In fact the whole song is worth rewatching (and occasionally freeze-framing) for all the little gags tucked away in it. Like right at the start when she tosses her jacket away, and the random guy on the street who catches it does a perfect "huh? what do I do with this?" move as she struts toward us. Or the reappearance of West Covina characters, previously seen for only a second, in the group finale. The marching band is obvious, but there are others like the "accidente" guy from the ad on the bus.

• Love 2

I agree that it's a cute show, but I'm not quite sure I'm totally in love with it yet. I like Rebecca, and I like Greg a lot. I wasn't really loving the first half, to be honest. I was wary of the premise before the episode, and I was still wary up until the Sexy Getting Ready song. I think that part sold me on sticking around for a while longer, or else I might not be.

I dislike Josh a lot, but I think that's the point. The show is clearly going in the direction of showing Rebecca being obsessed with a guy who's actually not that good for her in the end, and she'll discover it once he chooses her and she opens her eyes to the guy (Greg) that was there for her from the very first week of being in town.

I was neutral on Paula up until the end, and I like the boss alright. The show kind of has to be self aware for it to work, it seems. I'm not sold on this being a multiple seasons show quite yet, but it's cute enough for a season. But yeah, the title is definitely going to drive people away, and it's what made me almost not tune in, if it wasn't for these reviews on here. 

• Love 3
And the rapper's apologies at the end made me laugh out loud.

I loved all of those. Nipsey Hussle sounded a lot like Snoop. I would love those to become a regular feature.

Not sure how many episodes I can endure Rebecca's fixation on Josh, it was already sort of annoying in the pilot. So, I hope they expand beyond the one-tagline-premise rather quickly.

Same here. I know it's sort of the premise of the show, but I can't watch her continue to check her phone for texts, for example, when she should be occupied elsewhere.

Do we know what medication she is supposed to be taking?

I assumed antidepressives or something similar.

Does anyone know who behind the music on this show?

Bloom herself, Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne, and Jack Dolgen.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

I had this on my to watch list just because it seemed a little different and I am always looking for different.  I thought it was going to WAH! crazy!  but it wasn't.  it was well written and funny and a little dark in places. 

I loved the conversation with the paralegal friend outside the party, it absolutely didn't go where I was expecting it to. And I enjoyed how both actresses played it.

And finally Nipsy Hustle's 'Bitches to apologize to' "I am sorry I put you in a bikini made of gold coins and then made you dance on the roof of my building.  I realize now that metal conducts heat and that must have been a very uncomfortable experience." Ha!

I just enjoyed the whole show.  One of the very few new shows of the season I actually liked from the premiere.  I already bailed on Quantico, Blindspot, Rosewood and a few others.

• Love 5
my building

"My Bentley"! I also liked the one where he was sorry he sprayed champagne over the girl—"I didn't even ask if you liked Cristal, and I'm sorry I messed up your blowout." It's so obvious women wrote all those.

I also loved the look on the woman's face (same one as the blowout) when he said he wanted to get together and discuss Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4