Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Rhondinella

MASH

I think the original telegraph only needed a wire. I think telephone lines are multi-wire.

I have to admit that whenever I see MASH come up as having new posts, my stomach drops and I think about Alan Alda as I open the thread.  My heart will be broken when the new post actually means what I am always worried it means.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I have to admit that whenever I see MASH come up as having new posts, my stomach drops and I think about Alan Alda as I open the thread.  My heart will be broken when the new post actually means what I am always worried it means.

ITA. I feel the same way on the Andy Griffith notifications. Just never know if a new post is a death announcement. Not necessarily about Alda (I am not sure of his current  health status) given the large cast of  visiting/ recurring actors and the 1st run  length of the show.

Given both shows are still heavily in the rerun circuit,  there is plenty to talk about as we now view with a different lens. Not sure why my 1st thought is always "who passed now"...😢

Without going back to watch if an army unit goes silent messengers, "runners" would be dispatched until the signal corps reestablished communications. Besides the telegraph is powered by the sending station we didn't have the generation capacity when the lines replaced the Pony Express 

12 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I'm right there with ya. He's one of my all-time favorite people.

In this particular case, we just had the passing of Ned Beatty who did a memorable guest turn as a visiting colonel. I assumed someone was mentioning that great performance. I always remember his parting "Via con Dios!"

• Like 1

Alan has a great podcast-Clear and Vivid and and a spinoff Science Clear and Vivid. The episodes that are the best, for me, are the ones that I think I have no interest in the topic. I always come away more informed. He has brought the MASH cast on for reunions.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 2

FYI: on another show thread , the discussion was about comedies and how characters (actors) do/do not evolve over time.  I asked the question -  What is the difference in a comedy and a sitcom?

Reason I ask is there will be a special on CNN about the history of sitcoms on CNN 7/11/21 @ 9 pm EST. The little preview had actors ( mostly from current mainstream) singing a few bars from the opening theme song.   I was mostly surprised to see a couple of actors  ( from other sitcoms/comedies) still alive-at least when they filmed the special. The thread I brought this up definitely has a recognizable opening song.

MASH seems to have made the cut. Below is the nice ad for the above mentioned upcoming special. there are a couple of characters in the image I don't recall {man in the black and white sweater; right side} - yet. 😃

image.png.2cb0fbbd69f1ded7f9130dd9aa741f53.png

Edited by sATL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sATL said:

Below is the nice ad for the above mentioned upcoming special. there are a couple of characters in the image I don't recall {man in the black and white sweater; right side} - yet. 

image.png.2cb0fbbd69f1ded7f9130dd9aa741f53.png

Looks to me like David of Schitt's Creek. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though.

I would call M*A*S*H a comedy but not a sitcom. That said, "sitcom" is just the blanket way of referring to comedies on TV, especially back in the '70s. M*A*S*H was breaking the mold by mixing a lot of drama in with the laughs. Hearing it called a sitcom doesn't bother me, but later on the word "dramedy" came along, and that fits better.

• Useful 1

IIRC, the term "sitcom" or "situation comedy" goes back to the early days of TV, when a typical comedy show would have several unrelated sketches.  By contrast, a sitcom is all about a set of characters in a situation (e.g. the Korean conflict).

• Like 2

" The Firesight Saga" is on..klinger accidentally  sits on Potter's  glasses,  after he reads a letter from Radar. Spare specs are  also broken.  Eye Dr and replacement lenses are a couple days transaction...just what was Potter supposed to do if he had to do surgery? Overload the other Drs? He seems to wear glasses most of the time- not just for reading/close eye work.

Edited by sATL

On 7/6/2021 at 4:50 PM, sATL said:

" The Firesight Saga" is on..klinger accidentally  sits on Potter's  glasses,  after he reads a letter from Radar. Spare specs are  also broken.  Eye Dr and replacement lenses are a couple days transaction...just what was Potter supposed to do if he had to do surgery? Overload the other Drs? He seems to wear glasses most of the time- not just for reading/close eye work.

Yes, he was Army it would have been no different if he was wounded in the line of duty or fell ill but not requiring evacuation. Other doctors and perhaps a replacement would be assigned to his duties until he was able to resume them.  It was just the nature of selective service that doctors were more likely to need corrective lenses than fighter pilots.

• Useful 1