Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Rhondinella

MASH

4 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

You ask me, BJ's worst moment was when he went on a bitter drunken gambling bender because his wife *gasp*... took a part-time job! The horror!

I despise BJ in that episode, but love Margaret. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EighteenTwelve said:

Not defending it, but how big a deal would it have been in the early 1950s for a woman with a kid to take a job?

A woman with an infant whose husband, a doctor who was supposed to be able to provide for them without her working forever, but who is off in Korea instead so she has no other support?  I agree that he handled it badly, but BK even makes the point that he was supposed to be there for her, with the mortgage paid off and without the house falling apart and bills to pay.  He felt he was letting them down, and I think it was more about that than about her working.  She apparently worked while he was in school and he was ok with that.  It was a different situation.

With BJ, it feels like it's more than just 1950s attitudes about married moms working, which weren't positive and a lot of that still exists today. However, last night they showed the episode where he loses his shit (again) because Peg writes him that the gutters need cleaning. He spins all these elaborate fantasies about how she'll either try to clean them herself and not notice that the ladder is broken so she'll fall off and break something, or she'll call the handsome and ripped handyman and end up sleeping with him. In his mind, she seems to be either an incompetent dolt or an unfaithful wife who needs him there at home with her to keep her in line and to stop her from sticking forks in the electrical outlets and whatnot.

• Like 2

Me-TV just had a commercial air during the usual hour of MASH that has just started. Apparently, on Monday at 7:00 p.m., Me-TV will air the finale movie, "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen".

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Me-TV just had a commercial air during the usual hour of MASH that has just started. Apparently, on Monday at 7:00 p.m., Me-TV will air the finale movie, "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen".

That's consistent with what they have done in the past on Veterans Day.

• Like 2

That's when History Television used to air it every year, following an all-day marathon, back when they still had the Canadian license. No better time for it, you ask me.

You ask me, BJ's worst moment was when he went on a bitter drunken gambling bender because his wife *gasp*... took a part-time job! The horror!

I take issue with how BJ reacts when his hand is badly injured and he keeps acting like it's no big deal, when he knows it's quickly becoming a serious issue. A surgeon would be deeply concerned about losing the use of a hand and would take steps early on to keep things from spiraling out of control.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Drunk Margaret is the best.

And I noticed, in both the episodes where Trapper thought he was going home because of his ulcer, and the episode where Margaret wanted a transfer and got drunk then, she always seemed to sparkle for Trapper, not Hawkeye. The latter only happened once Trapper was gone.

I did love her line when Frank was warning her about alcohol being fattening [since Margaret was told by Hawkeye to lose a bit of weight following her physical]:

"It's okay, Frank. I'm planning to throw up later." Hee.

• Laugh 1