Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Rhondinella

MASH

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

But that doesn’t explain how Klinger scored a tent to himself when the Officer nurses were 4 to a tent with bunk beds...

Real life he would have been in prison or at least  a bad conduct discharge was is the equivalent of a felony conviction. In 1952 nor the 70's were anyone of the LGTBQ acceptable to be in barracks with the rest of the men. The Colonels had their hands forced when they didn't press charges while the other men in that era would not accept him in their tent.

Share this post


Link to post

Except Klinger made it VERY clear that he wasn't LGBTQ; he was just wearing women's clothing to get out of the Army.  And do we know that other men wouldn't accept him in their tent?

Sometimes it's better to not try to explain something you see in a TV show in terms of real life: Klinger had his own tent because the writers wrote it that way and the directors staged it that way.  I doubt they worried at all that it wasn't how things would work in real life--hell, probably half of what happened in that show wouldn't/couldn't happen in real life, but it was entertaining and funny so it made it in.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Fosca said:

Sometimes it's better to not try to explain something you see in a TV show in terms of real life.

Exactly. Plus, I always thought Klinger was personifying the idea of Catch-22, that if you said you were crazy and wanted to go home from the war, then clearly you weren't crazy because anyone in his right mind would want to go home, and so you had to stay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Fosca said:

Except Klinger made it VERY clear that he wasn't LGBTQ; he was just wearing women's clothing to get out of the Army.  And do we know that other men wouldn't accept him in their tent?

Sometimes it's better to not try to explain something you see in a TV show in terms of real life: Klinger had his own tent because the writers wrote it that way and the directors staged it that way.  I doubt they worried at all that it wasn't how things would work in real life--hell, probably half of what happened in that show wouldn't/couldn't happen in real life, but it was entertaining and funny so it made it in.

And thus a court martial at the very least was the outcome. Trying to place 21st century norms on 1972 can get you nowhere 

Share this post


Link to post

I recently saw Henry Blake's last episode, and it gets me every time. I watch them all celebrating and being happy for him, and I wait for that moment when Radar enters the operating room and then there is silence. Uh!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2019 at 4:24 PM, ForReal said:

I recently saw Henry Blake's last episode, and it gets me every time. I watch them all celebrating and being happy for him, and I wait for that moment when Radar enters the operating room and then there is silence. Uh!

My father, a huge MASH fan, hates this episode. Even with all of the explanations about how even good people die in war, etc., he found it cheap and hated that Henry just wasn't allowed to happily go home in the end. I also don't like it, if just for the fact that there was then no way for Mac Stevenson to make a cameo/somehow return if he wanted to.

I respect Harry Morgan as an actor and even liked his looney General Steele and Sherman T. Potter wasn't at all a bad character. But I loved the hapless Henry Blake, and his death was just too sad. Can still see Radar saluting him as Henry went over to tell him to behave or he would come back and kick his butt.  😞

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

My father, a huge MASH fan, hates this episode. Even with all of the explanations about how even good people die in war, etc., he found it cheap and hated that Henry just wasn't allowed to happily go home in the end. I also don't like it, if just for the fact that there was then no way for Mac Stevenson to make a cameo/somehow return if he wanted to.

I respect Harry Morgan as an actor and even liked his looney General Steele and Sherman T. Potter wasn't at all a bad character. But I loved the hapless Henry Blake, and his death was just too sad. Can still see Radar saluting him as Henry went over to tell him to behave or he would come back and kick his butt.  😞

To be honest, any cameo or return for Henry would have been unrealistic anyway. Henry hated being in Korea, he'd never go back unless he was at gunpoint.

When I first watched MASH as a kid, it was episodes from the two seasons with Potter, BJ and Frank, so I always consider them the seminal cast, along with Hawkeye, Radar and Hot Lips. I never warmed to Trapper or Henry in the same way. And I always found Henry to be a very sad man. There was something so defeated about him, all the time, and I can't envisage that he'd have had a happy life, back in Bloomington.

To be honest, I struggle to think of how any of the would have adapted back to their normal lives. I guess BJ was the most well adjusted and stable character, and he probably would have slotted right back into his happy family. I couldn't see Hawkeye treating regular patients again, for coughs and colds.

Share this post


Link to post

Even as a kid, I hated seeing Henry with all his girlfriends and knowing his wife was pregnant back home.  I was so sad that he never saw his son, but his death was such an iconic moment for the show. I cry when I see it, but I think it was a smart decision.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Radar announcing Henry's death makes me cry every time too, and I've seen it literally dozens of times. The other episode that does that to me is the one with the bombardier who thinks he's Jesus. Both when he tells Sidney, "they're my children. Why would I hurt my children?" and when he blesses Radar who, awestruck, says, "I'm Walter." Just really great acting on everyone's part.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Radar who, awestruck, says, "I'm Walter." Just really great acting on everyone's part.

Was that the first time they gave Radar a first name?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Was that the first time they gave Radar a first name?

I had to check because I was thinking we'd known it all along, but the MASH wiki says this episode is indeed the first time it's mentioned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Don't know if anyone else has seen these before, but someone posted bloopers of many old series, and at 2.57 or so, a MASH Blooper Reel, titled MISH MASH, begins.

What was really sort of surreal was Wayne Rogers messing up a line with an off screen Harry Morgan! (From "The General Flipped At Dawn" episode.) And a lot more.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for that, @WendyCR72. I thought I'd seen every M*A*S*H blooper ever, but there were a few in there that were new to me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rubaco said:

Thanks for that, @WendyCR72. I thought I'd seen every M*A*S*H blooper ever, but there were a few in there that were new to me. 

You're quite welcome, @rubaco! Hope you enjoyed it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×