Type keyword(s) to search

Detectorists - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Special treat for those going to the Christopher Robin movie...half of Simon and Garfunkel and MacKenzie together on screen

no spoilers from me

Don’t  Go to the loo at the wrong time though....

And Toby Jones (Lance) did the voice of Owl.

I binge watched S1 last night and at the end of S1E01 I knew I was all in with this one! It is delightfully honest, quirky in the best British way, and extremely sweet. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the last episodes of S1. In a nutshell, I am utterly smitten with most of the characters (Becs is the only one I am on the fence about), and I adore Larry, he’s someone you meet I find you knock around the British countryside for a bit. Overall a refreshing series and I am looking forward to starting S2 tonight!

• Love 2
On 4/6/2016 at 2:19 PM, SusanSunflower said:

I watched this episode last night for a second time -- didn't the picture of "the kiss" get torn up in the driveway (and not thrown away in Bec's mother's bin) ... that it then reappeared intact the better for Andy to confront Sophie (and Simon and Garfunkel) ... 

I just watched this (it's expiring from Netflix at the end of the month); it was taped back together.

There is so much to love about this show.  I adore all the quiet wildlife shots and the amazing facility with quiet humour that often surrounds them -- the very long spaces building up to punchlines.  I'm about to start s3.  Other than the brilliant gold dance (the pace of getting a head of steam on the emotion necessary to do it, then pulling so far away from it, was so clever - maintains the sense of mystery and privacy and ritual, while allowing us to feel the emotion AND laugh).  My favourite episode so far was the one where they performed 'New Age Girl' - Having the musician who wrote the theme song, perform it on stage which showed off the song (a truly soul-wrenching set of lyrics and very interesting musically, particularly the anticipatory hang on "I'll be your treasure") and showed up "New Age Girl", the chorus of which seems to have been written by an amateur making amateurish choices (deliberately?  seemed so to me) and the delivery of which was stunningly amateurish, while at the same time having the appeal of Lance's desperate attachment to Maggie and displaying that the song could be good if sung well.  And you know that both of those guys could render it quite pleasantly if they wanted to -- it is damn HARD to sing that hestitantly and slightly off note.

I haven't really noticed Mackenzie Crook in anything else, but his vision for this series is so well rounded and such a breath of fresh air because of the lack of cruelty and the depth of the acting.  Watching his face as he disagrees with Lance about something, but decides not to say anything and you can see all of his potential replies, inner thoughts, disagreement, resignation...  A review I read talked about his egolessness and that seems to me to be what is so strangely attractive about his character.  Some of the things that are said to him would be cruel in a different context (someone up thread touched on this when they mentioned how Becks says such biting things but with such apparent love), but his egoless acceptance of them as truth and his ability to say something humorous back is fascinating.

This is one of those series you never want to be over.  I've watched many episodes twice before going on to the next so as to get more juice out of them and I expect there's lots more juice in each one, so I will be happy to re-watch.  I will be very sad when it's done and I will miss the whole bunch of them a lot.

• Love 5

A link to a story here in the UK about a group of metal detectorists falling victim to some cannabis-laced cakes. When I started reading it, I thought that it was going to be something lighthearted that we could imagine happenning to Lance and his daughter's "whaccy baccy" but it seems to have been potentially quite serious.

Three good points - the club is called "Coil to the Soil", the story correctly calls them detectorists and someone's description of the whole business as "random lunacy". I can imagine Becky saying that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-49480491

I was so sorry to see the headlines about the great Diana Rigg today.  Seeing her on Detectorists was great, it was the first time I had seen her in years and I had enjoyed the fact that Rachel Stirling not only resembled her but seemed to have the same exact voice.  So sorry, she will be so missed RIP.

Also have been meaning to say how much I too love this show.

• Love 4
On 7/1/2018 at 5:37 PM, atlantaloves said:

This show is for a better word, just wonderfully droll, and in the best possible way.  I love it. The second season was even better.  It just makes me smile, and not much in America does these days, thank you England. 

Exactly what my husband said, it just makes you smile. Great show.

• Love 2

Oh thanks!  I've been hoping for a new season, but a special is better than nothing.  

I've watched the series twice now and I loved the ending, with all the couples so happy, I'm almost afraid to see any changes.  On the other hand, I really, really want to see the cottage after Andy has fixed it up.

• Love 1

My local library bought the blue ray of the special when I suggested the purchase. You might want to do the same.

The theme song stirs up the fuzzy feels for The Detectorists.

Enjoyable to watch but it was over too soon.

Leaving us fans wanting more.

• Love 1
On 9/2/2023 at 7:53 PM, humbleopinion said:

My local library bought the blue ray of the special when I suggested the purchase. You might want to do the same.

😍I just finished watching it, after waiting in the holds queue at my library almost a year for the DVD!

Because I am too cheap and stubborn to pay for a streaming service.

Worth waiting for! And, apparently many of my fellow library patrons feel the same way.

• Like 1