Type keyword(s) to search

Detectorists - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I just missed all but the last 2 minutes of S2E1 on one of my local PBS stations... grrr ... the baby's been born and the grandma/MIL is Diana Rigg (looking shockingly like my dear departed mother! a pleasant surprise but startling, unexpected, mom was blond and blue-eyed) 

nope, not on netflix yet ...  Apparently you can subscribe to Acorn via Amazon ... with a 7 day free trial and all of season 2 appears available ... 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1
On October 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Latverian Diplomat said:

It was a great episode. I have no idea who took the picture, though I'm still wondering if Sophie is part of some scheme.

I find Andy and Becs quite charming as a couple. A lot of their exchanges are quite clever. The words of Becs' lines can be seen as quite sharp, but the actress does an amazing job of conveying affection in the delivery. She also conveys genuine anger about the things Becs' is genuinely upset about.

I agree. In the first couple of episodes I thought they were going to show that Becs was actually mean to Andy and did not appreciate his hobby and therefore was bad for him. But I prefer the way they decided to play it out instead.

• Love 2

okay, so how many episodes are there in season two? I watched last night. Andy went for an interview for the job in Botswana ... and found the pipe stems in the garden flower bed (so I'm thinking he's going to pass the interview) even minus tattoos, piercings and callouses.  (oh, that S2E4 and there are 6 episodes ... I missed #1 ... and #4 was refreshing back on-tempo... #3 and #4 had some minor "self-consciousness" that was part of what was so wonderful about season #1 ... and now #4 is back to even keel ......yes, it's my favorite show these days, by far.... 

• Love 2
(edited)

episode 5 --- in which they catch the Nighthawks digging at night ... but for me, the crew's reaction to the lemonade was the funniest thing I have seen in a month of Sundays ... obviously tooooo cold  and toooo tart ... brilliant!  All desperate to avoid Sheila to noticing .. because they'd never get out of there  (Sophie Thompson, brilliant as always) 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 2

A friend just turned me on to this and I ran through both seasons in 3 days.  LOVED it and so glad Lance got to do his gold dance at the end.  Really impressed with this series.  I was in the last episode of Season 1 when I thought to myself, "Wow, now I know who Becky reminds me of...she has a look of Diana Rigg about her."  About two minutes later the penny dropped and I remembered she has a daughter who's an actress, and sure enough.... :)  Then my delight when Dame Diana herself turned up!  I may just do something I don't think I've ever done --- go back and watch both seasons again slowly and savor all the little nuances this time :)

Edited by Fiddler1
  • Love 1

Season 2 was just posted to Netflix and I had a chance to watch it this weekend.  I love these characters.  Toby Jones and Mackenzie Crook are a great double act, and the writing is so subtly clever.

It never fails to crack me up when the opening strains of "Sound of Silence" kick in when 'Simon & Garfunkel' show up.

• Love 2

I binged on the last 3 episodes (my local pbs station has been showing season 2 erratically). I thought the final episode was just-about-perfect, for the season or the series as the case may be.  Happy prospects for all concerned, but nothing tied-up with a bow.  I loved the call-out to everyday superstition and the superstition wrt metal detectorists.  I had a funny similar sudden disenchantment with fossil and certain strains of archeology -- on one hand, it's fascinating to see "history" in the palm of your hand, on the other it's one-less-treasure in the world to be found by someone else next week, next month, next decade, etc.  (and I won't even talk about mummies and gravesites, ycch)  

This series has put me in mind of the golf classic "A Good Walk Ruined" .. although I think England is probably fertile for detecting given its long long history of settlements and relatively high human density (and metal stuff to be found). Here in rural Colorado, I suspect there's little to be "detected" simply because so much is never-been-settle woodlands. 

This show has given me unequaled pleasure. 

• Love 2

We've been watching in the US and thoroughly loving it.  There is a joke I'm pretty sure we are missing, tho.  At one point in S2, Lance finds a brooch with "status quo" engraved in it.  Can anyone enlighten us to the joke here?  My guess is it would be like finding an "I like Ike" pin, but am not sure.

• Love 1

Dunno.  Status Quo is an English rock band.  It is also Latin, so the brooch could be either some valuable Roman artifact.   (Did he do the dance?  No.)  Or perhaps a piece of rubbishy band memorabilia?  Possibly.  Or something else?  Dunno.

• Love 1

https://britishtelly.wordpress.com/2016/04/07/detectorists-series-2-a-lesson-in-british-pop-culture/

Status Quo is a classic British boogie/psychedelic rock band that formed in the 60’s and still exists today. They had next to no presence on the American record charts; however, if you watched the Live Aid concert in 1985 you may remember Status Quo as the band that opened the epic sixteen hour televised event with their hit song, ‘Rockin’ All Over the World.’

• Love 1

Confirmation on S3 here: http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/bbc-four-confirms-third-season-of-detectorists

Mackenzie Crook commented: “After a year away I decided I missed my friends in Danebury so much that I had to go back to the world of Detectorists one more time to see what Andy and Lance could dig up. The prospect of filming another summer in the beautiful English countryside is a good one, and I’m very proud that the third series will premiere on BBC Four where it all started.”

• Love 3

I honestly thought I had recorded the wrong show for the first couple of minutes. Like, why are we following this man in a suit around some kind of corporate headquarters ...

But when we get to the guys, they're semi miserable again, so we're back to normal.

Spoiler

It kills me to see them walking over those buried coins! It took them two seasons to find the danged aestel.

• Love 1

I liked the final episode, and was pleased that the Dirt Sharks (or what ever they call themselves now) were able to make peace with the DMDC.  And that Lance and Art buried the hatchet and swapped detectors in a friendly fashion.  The final moments when the treasure was revealed initially seemed arbitrary, but upon reflection, the discoveries of the detectorists seem to be pretty arbitrary at the best of times.

I wonder if the discovery would halt the development of the field, but given how Andy's mosaic was simply scraped up and thrown away earlier, I suppose not.

I knew Andy would get the house, but I never expected the price to go so high.  As the price skyrocketed, I thought for a moment they might be bidding against Veronica.  I never expected the auction result to go the way it did.

Funny bit I nearly missed:  Art spewing out the lemonade made by Terry's wife.

How sad to consider that this charming show, so full of subtle humour, is unlikely to ever return. 

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 4

I enjoyed the whole of series three as well. At the moment, I'm taking the view that it's better for it to go out on a high and leave the audience wanting more than to run the risk of lowering the quality. Also, an awful lot of the people involved are very in demand with other projects - Toby Jones seems to be in every third film, play or tv show that I hear about these days for instance so it may also be that it would be difficult to get them all together for more filming.

I think that the coins being found will lead to the solar farm being at least delayed - the Roman mosaic floor being dug up like that was illegal (which was why Andy's evil boss deleted the photos of it off his phone, so he'd have no proof if he tried to alert the authorities). However, Andy invited the County Finds Officer to attend the rally on the field so presumably he or she is in the crowd of people going off to the pub at the end and can be called back and immediately informed.

About the way that the coins simply fell from the tree at the end: we were introduced to the idea at the end of episode one that magpies have some kind of supernatural power and observe human beings in the lyrics of "Magpie" sung by The Unthanks. You could argue that the magpies, as Andy suggested in an earlier episode, had spent centuries collecting the coins. When they thought that Andy and Lance were just another set of thieves after gold, they took away the coin that Lance found. But then, Lance and Andy made up with the Dirt Sharks, got the magpies' tree preserved and invited all the other detectorists to look for the treasure too. That convinced the magpies that Lance and Andy are "worthy" and so they let them have the coins in the end. Lance's discussion about Karma with his daughter comes in here, too.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

About the way that the coins simply fell from the tree at the end: we were introduced to the idea at the end of episode one that magpies have some kind of supernatural power and observe human beings in the lyrics of "Magpie" sung by The Unthanks. You could argue that the magpies, as Andy suggested in an earlier episode, had spent centuries collecting the coins. When they thought that Andy and Lance were just another set of thieves after gold, they took away the coin that Lance found. But then, Lance and Andy made up with the Dirt Sharks, got the magpies' tree preserved and invited all the other detectorists to look for the treasure too. That convinced the magpies that Lance and Andy are "worthy" and so they let them have the coins in the end. Lance's discussion about Karma with his daughter comes in here, too.

A thought-provoking observation.

Also, in the episode where Andy (I think) climbed the tree to install the bat-box, he stopped just below the level of the Magpie nest, and we could see, viewing from above, that the coins were literally on the brink of falling.  

Toby Jones has indeed appeared unexpectedly in several shows I've watched recently.  He is good at his job, and I'm always glad to see him, even if the part is a small one.  I haven't seen much of Mackenzie Crook, and I can't think why.  He is highly talented, and not only as an actor!  He did, after all, write and direct this great show.  Checking his IMDb bio, I am going to be on the lookout for more shows featuring his participation.

MC will be voicing a character in the upcoming release of Watership Down.  I loved that book and also the 1978 animated movie.  I have not seen the 1999 TV production, but given that it stretched to three series of 13 episodes each, I am dubious about fidelity to the original book.  The new production is a 4-episode mini-series, so I am hopeful that not too many liberties were taken.

Farewell, Detectorists!  And thanks for all the good times.

• Love 2

We had been anxiously waiting for the third season of this marvelous low-key show and fortunately saw it this week thanks to Acorn.  The quality remains high and we were immediately sucked back into the world of Andy, Lance, and all of the other wonderful characters.

Since this has been newly released in the US, I won't go into many specifics for those who haven't seen it.  The only thing I will say is to watch for the nod to the movie "Witness" in the final episode.  The music was close to that in "Witness" while they are building a gazebo, their version of a barn raising.  We also have the drinks being passed around and I really loved it when a former enemy shared a drink with a new friend, just like Harrison Ford's and Alexander Godunov's characters in "Witness."  This scene just made me smile.

Lots of great moments this season.  I only hope they make more episodes.

• Love 2
On 12/14/2017 at 9:43 AM, Ghost Ship said:

I like that take on the ending! 

Sometimes it is nice to see a story unfold about normal people with ordinary foibles. It was a lovely ending for a nice, quiet little series.  

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

A perfect real life coda to the series: two real life detectorists - one called Andy - find a hoard of roman coins in a freshly ploughed field in Suffolk- only to realise that they are in fact a left over prop from the filming of series 3. They seem quite philosophical and have had an apology from Mackenzie Crook.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/30/detectorists-stumble-treasure-trove-roman-gold-think/

I love that the detectorist "did a little jig."  The gold dance!!!

• Love 3

Binge watched Season3 tonight cuz of a free watchathon from Comcast.  

Loved the sly humor...the song lyrics,  bat terms, Toni throwing potatoes,  the "obvious" solution to Lance's daughter needing a place and Toni needing a tenant---of course, maybe Kate knows someone!", the DMDC meetings and the detecting app, , plus so much in the background like Varde proposing with the big ring, Garfunkel and the lemonade,  etc.... 

Love this show.  So smart. So charming. 

• Love 1

the lemonade is the funniest, snort-worthy bit of comedy I've seen in the last decade .... hilarious from Lance hoping to get the wife busy in the kitchen to all of them, each of them desperately realizing there was nothing to do but drink it ... so they could leave (please god) ...  side-splitting.  (I may be thinking of season two) 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 3

Since it hasn't appeared on Netflix, we've requested the Season 3 DVD from our local library - and are now #12 in the queue (other Detectorist fans here Phoenix!).  

In preparation for watching Season 3, we just binged Seasons 1 and 2 over the past few days.  I had forgotten how much I love these characters.  Simon and Garfunkel . . . and the sly comments that tie in some of their songs . . . never cease to make me laugh.

• Love 3

Most of the way through Season 3 on the library's DVDs now.  Loving the episodes and the "extra" stuff that comes with the DVDs.  Some things I didn't realize until last night. 

• Sophie Thompson - the lady who plays ditzy Sheila (Terry's wife) was Mafalda Hopkirk in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I.  (She's the one that Hermione turned into with polyjuice potion so they could sneak into the Ministry of Magic.  Striped suit.)  And she is the sister of Emma Thompson.
  • Diana Rigg (Veronica) is Rachael Stirling's (Rebecca's) mother in real life.
  • If they do a movie of Harry and Meghan's wedding, Orion Ben (Varde) should play Meghan.  (Photo below)

Capture.JPG

• Love 1

HELP! I love this show as well, just finished season 2, somebody tell me please, the gold that Lance found in the last episode of season 2, was it something that he planted, he did plant one coin at one point, and then he planted a zillion dollars worth of gold coins as well, which I assume he bought with the 25,000 pounds that he got from his find which was giving him a Gold Curse. Help! Thanks. I truly need a tart lemon-aid right now. Thanks mates! What you got?

This show is for a better word, just wonderfully droll, and in the best possible way.  I love it. The second season was even better.  It just makes me smile, and not much in America does these days, thank you England. 

• Love 6
On 10/21/2014 at 2:35 PM, Latverian Diplomat said:

I'm really enjoying this I don't have the most sophisticated ear, but the harmonized version of "New Age Girl" sounded pretty bad to me. Was it supposed to? Lance's modest solo version last week sounded much better to me.

I thought so too.

Just finished the first series on Netflix. I loved the ending shot with the outline of the ship!

For the life of me I can't understand what Becky is doing with Andy. He has no steady job, no money, and he chooses to spend time with Lance over her all the time. They are a sweet couple though, and I like that she knew where the best spot to go was and stayed to help with the detecting.

• Love 3

Another great series! I hope Netflix gets series 3 soon. I wonder of they will follow up on the conversation Sheila had with Lance about his daughter. It sounds like she either lost or gave up a child.

(edited)
On 1/31/2018 at 5:46 AM, Ghost Ship said:

A perfect real life coda to the series: two real life detectorists - one called Andy - find a hoard of roman coins in a freshly ploughed field in Suffolk- only to realise that they are in fact a left over prop from the filming of series 3. They seem quite philosophical and have had an apology from Mackenzie Crook.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/30/detectorists-stumble-treasure-trove-roman-gold-think/

Oh my gosh, I feel awful for them! It's like winning the lottery only to realize the ticket was for a different day. 

Edited by Jordan61
  • Love 3