Type keyword(s) to search

Detectorists - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm really enjoying this quiet little show, which is mostly character study but just enough plot thrown in to keep things interesting (like the surprise end of this episode).

Also, strong hints in this one that Sophie is a spy for the Antiquisearchers? I was not expecting that.

I don't have the most sophisticated ear, but the harmonized version of "New Age Girl" sounded pretty bad to me. Was it supposed to? Lance's modest solo version last week sounded much better to me.

• Love 1

It was a great episode. I have no idea who took the picture, though I'm still wondering if Sophie is part of some scheme.

I find Andy and Becs quite charming as a couple. A lot of their exchanges are quite clever. The words of Becs' lines can be seen as quite sharp, but the actress does an amazing job of conveying affection in the delivery. She also conveys genuine anger about the things Becs' is genuinely upset about.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 4

What a tremendous little show!  I'm so sorry that it's over, and thrilled to hear there will be another series next year.

Best moment [ETA: of the series]:  Andy returning from the bar to find Sophie drenched in beer.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

OK.

There was a moment when Becky was telling Andy that she wanted to go out with Gay Martin.  As she opened the door of the cupboard (fridge?) I'm not sure what it was that passed across her face.  Amusement?  Sorrow? 

The entire "Thick as two short plonks" exchange had me hooting so loud I woke the puppy!  And I chuckled loudly  and uncontrollably for the next 10 minutes.

This show is so good it's a damned shame it isn't more widely appreciated.

Edited by Netfoot

So glad I looked for this forum! I stumbled on this show accidentally last year and was so happy to see it return.

Is there something sketchy about that German dude? He seemed surprised that Andy had found information about his grandfather's plane crash, and seemed to hesitate when identifying his grandfather's name from the crew list, but I can't tell if he's another detectorist infiltrating the group, or just a gap year wanker.

He seems like such an ass. But he doesn't ping my detectorist radar, if you know what I mean. I'm pretty sure he's not up and up, but probably more about zoning, museums, or his grandpa was German Mafia and did a DB Cooper

Oh man, I love this show. German dude is *totally* corrupt and I do not trust him.

Yeh, something dodgy there. Can't quite figure out what.  I'll speculate he's after something of value that was on the plane that nobody knows is there.  He quickly shushed up S&G when they were talking about having an observer present.  Stolen artwork or bullion or something being smuggled out of Germany at the end of WW-II.

I totally agree with your prediction Netfoot, and can't wait to see what's on the plane. I also liked that we found out about Lance's mystery woman, but it would be nice for him to actually start dating. The storyline with the mayor's chain was amusing, and I wish they'd show more of that kind of thing. It feels like there hasn't been a lot of actual detecting this season, so it was nice to see them find something.

I really like the music on this show; it's very soothing.

Good!  I thought so.  I didn't want some sort of left-handed reaction, like she is angry at Andy because he isn't angry at her.

This show is so good.  Why aren't more people watching?

I recently watched S1, didn't know there was a S2.  But I've already forgotten where I watched S1 - was it Acorn? 

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!!!  I knew that guy was up to no good!  And I strongly suspected gold was involved.  Now they have him and Simon & Garfunkel too!

It's pretty obvious that the fourth person was Sophie.  She may be the one that went straight past the sleeping watchmen.  Or that could have been Peter (?) the German.

Bit of an unhappy confrontation between Andy and Becky at the end.  Andy did have a point -- Becky decided to go to Africa and Andy's reservations didn't seem to matter to her much.  On the other hand, Becky was also on target (if somewhat cruel) when she said Andy was spineless.  He really does seem to be extremely indecisive, and lacking in self-confidence.  I wonder if this heralds a break-up that gives Andy an opportunity to develop his relationship with Sophie?  He's obviously sweet on her!  But while I'm sure a fling with Sophie would be fun, Becky is a far more suitable partner for him, and after all, Stanley is his child!

And Basil Brush pays a visit to the sleepers in Estend Lane!

Edited by Netfoot

I really hope someone finds that stash of gold next episode. I'd love for the gang to get a big win like that, after missing out on the Saxon horde last season- what ever happened to that storyline, anyway? Have they just stopped looking for it? And I'm dying to see these 'gold dances' that we keep hearing about.

Even though the endeavour is getting off to a bad start with both of them keeping secrets from each other, I think Becky and Andy should definitely go to Africa. It's a great opportunity that they apparently were both very interested in at some point, and if it turns out to be a disaster, they can always leave. I just wish they would actually have a real conversation about it and acknowledge that Andy's fears and reservations are perfectly natural and expected. In fact, I would be surprised if anyone in that position wasn't scared- it's a huge leap into the unknown, and having a very young child makes it more difficult. I think he needs his feelings to be validated, but I also think that his fears shouldn't stop him from going.

I totally agree with your last paragraph!  Sure, when they were younger, Andy and Becky talked about going to Africa.  But surely Becky can see that circumstances have changed?  They are more mature now, no longer kids, and they have a young baby.  Presumably, they aren't going to be in some part of Africa that is well equipped with modern amenities, because they are going out to offer aid in their various fields.  Presumably in rural areas that don't have immediate access to top-notch health care.  With a young child like Stanley, what happens if he becomes ill and needs advanced medical attention in a hurry?  The two need to sit down and discuss this, because I don't feel Andy is wrong to have doubts.  Where Andy is wrong is not openly voicing those misgivings and insisting that he and Becky work out a new plan to suit their new circumstances, and not simply assume that the plans they formulated 10-15 years ago will still be satisfactory!

I don't know what happened to the Saxon hoard from last season.  In the finale, they were detecting across the ground and stopped just shy of making the discovery. I guess they have simply not returned to that area since.

What I am interested in, is the book and golden artifact that we see getting laid down at the beginning of S02E01.  And we've seen it several times since then, in passing.  (I don't know if they could recover the book, but the golden artifact, for sure.)  I believe that the next episode is the season finale, and they still have to unearth the Nazi gold or prove that there is none, identify the fourth Nighthawk who was just observing (who I'm sure is Sophie), and still somehow find themselves detecting somewhere else so they can find the book/artifact.  And draw the series to conclusion.

These series are too damned short!

Very enjoyable.  Glad that Peter got his comeuppance, but I'm still convinced that the 4th Nighthawk was Sophie, yet they didn't go near that.  I expect that will surface in a later series.  There will be more series to follow, right?  Only, with Andy and Becky off to Botswana, it does leave a gaping hole in the cast.

So glad Lance got to do his Gold Dance.  And to reconnect with his daughter.  Actually, I thought for a moment that she would turn on her new detector and find the German gold!  I am somewhat confused when Peter said that they had done the work, and he had reaped the reward.  What reward does he claim to have reaped?

My ghodd, how I lusted after Becky's mother!  In a bygone age...

I don't know what happened to the Saxon hoard from last season.  In the finale, they were detecting across the ground and stopped just shy of making the discovery. I guess they have simply not returned to that area since.

They mentioned in the first episode that they gave up on that site. It sounded like they went a few more times, but they just missed it.

So, I was glad this season's artifact was found.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

I'm so happy for Lance! The look on his face when he discovered the treasure got me choked up a bit. And I kind of loved how it happened from a feeling and a hunch, like it was calling out to him. I'm glad that Andy and Becky are going to Africa, and if they do a time jump, it would be nice to see a more confident, experienced Andy return. However, there's a chance that they may cancel their plans if they actually have stumbled upon a full horde, since I'm sure Andy would want to be there to help sort through it all. I assume that what Lance found was the horde that we saw get buried in the first episode this season, so there is more to find besides that jewel.

Other than that, I have to say that I'm very impressed with Mackenzie Crook, as both the writer and main character in this show. He has such a distinctive look that I never thought I'd ever see him as anyone other than Gareth Keenan, but he really has done a great job with this project, and I look forward to watching more of his shows in the future, either this one (hopefully!) or others.

ETA: I loved that they used a picture of the real Simon and Garfunkel on their 'wanted' poster, because they didn't have a picture of the actual Dirt Sharks. Ha!

Edited by Cherpumple
  • Love 4

Just watched the Christmas Special, which was actually slightly longer than the usual episodes.  Quite interesting, especially Lance's (re)actions.

This is a tremendous little series, and I truly do hope there is another series or two to come.

(edited)

I watched this episode last night for a second time -- didn't the picture of "the kiss" get torn up in the driveway (and not thrown away in Bec's mother's bin) ... that it then reappeared intact the better for Andy to confront Sophie (and Simon and Garfunkel) ... 

Edited by SusanSunflower