Type keyword(s) to search

Criminal Intent All Episodes Talk...

2 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

I  heard it was written so  he could let himself go, but who knows.

Not sure I buy that since S8 seemed wildly out of order based on his appearance. One episode was the curly hair/beard and the next was short hair/clean shaven. If he was just letting himself go, I think one look would stick, you know? And he cleaned himself back up in S10 and stayed in the suits, so - just me - I do think the overall "look" of S7/S8 was about Bobby spiraling.

But as you say, who knows!

7 hours ago, whimsey98 said:

Maybe they call Molly's sister in to do touch ups and trims...I always found it fascinating that Victoria was a beautician at a funeral home, which seemed an odd profession for a comedy and yet she was pretty gentle with her "clients".  Now that I think about it, her stepfather had a background in hair styling (shown to be somewhat disastrous when Molly and Mike got married).  I can see a crossover with C&I, if both shows hadn't been cancelled.  Opens up whole new storylines (creepy ones).

Whatever D'onfrio's personal challenges are with his health, I do think he tries to be true to whatever character he is playing.  I will say, being the totally shallow person I am, that I prefer him with hair to the bald look he is sporting now, but that's neither here nor there.  He reminds me a bit of Orson Welles who struggled with weight issues later on in life...the last few photos I've seen of him (which may not be recent)   make him look quite large.  On the other hand, and there always is one, I'm not exactly svelte myself so who am I do judge?

Locally, the series seems to be stuck on showing certain episodes over and over again (such as the one with the guy who dyes his hair blond and gets contacts) while not showing other episodes at all.  Maybe it is time for me to order the DVDs and get the series out of my system in a straight shot of viewing (well, not all the episodes; there are episodes I have no interest in seeing more than once).

Well, you can likely get all 10 seasons of L&O: CI for around $80 on eBay. Sounds like a lot but it actually breaks down to $8.00 per season, which isn't bad! The only thing I hate is that Season 3 has those awful flipper discs, episodes on each side. They tend to pixelate and have issues. And strangely, it is the only season that has those. (All others have the regular discs.) Luckily, I have a region-free DVD player, so I imported S3 from Amazon UK and got the single-sided discs. But if you store them carefully, they should hold up.

ETA: The most recent pic I have seen of VDO on his FB page was at a benefit for homeless dogs, and he has hair back. And looks pretty good, so...

27 minutes ago, whimsey98 said:

but I do still have a Netflix subscription so I may just order them and get it out of my system.

Ironically, CI along with the Mothership used to be able to be streamed on Netflix but both were removed in late 2014 (only SVU remains to be streamed). You can buy the digital seasons on iTunes or Amazon if you don't want the clutter of DVDs, but I think that is actually more expensive in the end. Or you can use Netflix's DVD plan where they send you a set number of DVDs to rent per month.

Good luck with your move!

And I agree about VDO and his charity work for the dogs.  :-)

Just a random observation: It's interesting to see the physical evolution of both Goren/Eames against themselves when USA and WE air episodes at the same time (with USA currently in S2 and WE in S8).

And Bobby was a lot less manic later on for sure.

Talking about former DAs in the Mothership thread (Schiff, Lewin, Branch, etc.), and it just disappoints me that CI never got a cameo from Schiff. I would have loved to see his dynamic with Carver, Goren, and Eames, and especially with Logan back on the job in NYC.

Lewin was in CI's pilot ("One") and Branch was in "Wee Small Hours", so this show was 2 for 4 (counting McCoy moving up to DA; he also never appeared) in terms of the DAs that appeared on this spinoff.

• Love 2

I never noticed this until very recently, but the episode "Zoonotic", the episode with the creepy vet and his buddy that poisons the women that leave him, in the description for this episode, it is said the latter is played by former brat-packer Andrew McCarthy (who would appear as an ADA in "Offense" in S7 (the episode with the strippers accusing a football team with rape).

And no, it's obviously not him there. I wonder who does these write ups? And now I wonder if McCarthy was up for the "Zoonotic" role and dropped out, for whatever reason!

20 hours ago, whimsey98 said:

Well, fiddle faddle....my local station has kicked CI to the curb and replaced it with "Harry" - Harry Connick, Jr. in a talk show format.  I suppose it makes sense to replace an old show in repeats with a new one....but I'm still annoyed.  It's not that I don't like Harry Connick, Jr., but, frankly, I'm not fond of talk shows.  Oh, well.  Things change.  This isn't the first time they've shoved CI off the air, and it has always found a way to climb back. We'll see what happens this time. (No, I don't have cable.)  It's not a point that I could buy the CDs and watch them all to excess.  I don't know what the point is.  Oh, well. 

I do have cable, and it's still all over WE. But I also have a MyNetwork affiliate. It used to be on once a day at 1:00 p.m. (overlapping with one of the WE marathon episodes!), but now with the new fall schedule, it is shown twice (with two separate seasons, no less) at 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.  Never heard of such an old show adding time, but okay. Guess they must be making some money...

But if you can't buy DVDs right now and do want to see episodes, you can buy seasons and/or individual episodes at Amazon and iTunes.

On 9/13/2016 at 5:34 PM, whimsey98 said:

Anyway, CI is apparently showing at 12:30 am, which is somewhat inconvenient for me.  I'll survive.  I'm sure they will stir the shows up again, and I'm not sure how long "Harry" will last.   But thank you for the info.  Appreciate it very much.

You're welcome!  :-)  Just to clarify, though: Amazon video and iTunes are digital, not disc. So if ever you change your mind, it is an option.  :-)  Good luck with your move!

17 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

WMYT, my tv network

Oh, okay! (I guess every MyTV Network has its own feed then.) As I said, my affiliate for MyNetwork used to show CI at 1:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday. With the new fall schedule, it is now on at 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m., and each time is in a different season.

But WE is all over, too, showing one season during its daytime marathons and another during its late-night marathons.

Guess it breaks up the monotony.  :-)

9 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

Or any workouts...

In all seriousness, it was established Garrett was a boorish letch and a drunk. The only reason I can fathom all these women supposedly flocked to him was the prestige or his money. Because, not even counting looks, his personality was generally repulsive!

Tomorrow's usual Thursday WE Marathon - which usually runs 'til 6 or 7 depending on the week - will only run 'til 3 tomorrow because of a Growing Up Hip Hop marathon leading up to its new season premiere that night.

I wonder why some networks will show "The Glory That Was..." from S8 and others won't touch it? The MyNetwork affiliate in my area has it listed with the S8 shows, but WE - which will begin that season again in a few weeks - still doesn't. Huh. Guess it's the same as the different edits each channel uses, etc. But it's still weird.

13 minutes ago, Maherjunkie said:

I can't remember why that one was controversial.  I feel bad rippin' on the JG ones, but to me they were a colossal case of why bother.

Well, you know my feelings there. LOL! But it's so odd this is as rare as it is and not even on the US Season 8 DVDs. (It is on the European Region 2 set.)

As for why it is so controversial, it has to do with the Olympics with most of the players surrounding (fictionally, naturally) that world. Maybe those in charge made a stink about it at some point? Whatever the case, it's odd that it seems to have fallen through the cracks.

I recognized one of the perps in that one from a Mothership episode (forget the name but late in the series!) who wrote on her body and pledged her devotion to a guy that ended up being convicted. She plays nutjob well.

13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I wonder why some networks will show "The Glory That Was..." from S8 and others won't touch it? The MyNetwork affiliate in my area has it listed with the S8 shows, but WE - which will begin that season again in a few weeks - still doesn't. Huh. Guess it's the same as the different edits each channel uses, etc. But it's still weird.

The decisions networks make regarding L&Overse shows are one of the great enduring mysteries of life. Especially WE. I will never understand why they use the ultraconservative daytime syndication edits that drop audio on "getting a chubby" or "hell" while airing promos during those same shows for trashy reality shows or people having sex in a box.

10 hours ago, wknt3 said:

The decisions networks make regarding L&Overse shows are one of the great enduring mysteries of life. Especially WE. I will never understand why they use the ultraconservative daytime syndication edits that drop audio on "getting a chubby" or "hell" while airing promos during those same shows for trashy reality shows or people having sex in a box.

Heck, Captain Hannah uttered "douchebag" in "The Last Street In Manhattan" from S10. But, again, WE goes all prudish and it's muted out. The whole thing is so damned arbitrary! We discussed edits before. But as I had mentioned, when CI was airing on ION, that station even edited out "he pissed his pants" in "Semi-Professional"! And depending on what network it is with that one, I have seen the line cut entirely (ION), changed to "he wet himself" (USA, I think), or aired as is (oddly, WE).

Amazing how many different scenarios there are. That is why - even if I watch TV repeats - I'm glad to have the DVDs with uncut episodes.

We won't even try to dissect Mothership episodes. That would require an oral history of 500 pages or so, and that would probably only include the first few seasons alone!

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

How so?  :-)

I didn't bother me about Ross being killed, but I guess I was surprised at the strong feelings Goren had for him once he was gone since it always seemed that they were sort of at odds. I guess I've seen the very ending (the firing of Bobby) as frustrating (probably the first time I saw it). Then other times (depending on my mood) I didn't really understand why they would have Eames end things that way. I mean, I understand because it was like Of Mice and Men-ish that way, but it just seemed weird to have her want to take the job just to fire him and then tell the Chief to piss off, when I would have thought she would have just done that to begin with. Then other times it just seems so sad and sweet. It almost always makes me tear up though because it is one of those moments when you know they were truly feeling all the feels as a real life goodbye.

3 hours ago, Scrapsandsass said:

I didn't bother me about Ross being killed, but I guess I was surprised at the strong feelings Goren had for him once he was gone since it always seemed that they were sort of at odds. I guess I've seen the very ending (the firing of Bobby) as frustrating (probably the first time I saw it). Then other times (depending on my mood) I didn't really understand why they would have Eames end things that way. I mean, I understand because it was like Of Mice and Men-ish that way, but it just seemed weird to have her want to take the job just to fire him and then tell the Chief to piss off, when I would have thought she would have just done that to begin with. Then other times it just seems so sad and sweet. It almost always makes me tear up though because it is one of those moments when you know they were truly feeling all the feels as a real life goodbye.

I think Alex knew that Moran and all the other asses in charge would take pleasure in getting rid of Bobby. I guess she felt, having worked with Bobby for so long and considering him a friend, that he deserved to at least go out with some dignity and respect. So I get why Alex took the job for two seconds, if just to make sure she was the one to ease Bobby into the firing.

I do think the hug, etc. was as much of a goodbye for Vincent and Kathryn as it was for Bobby and Alex. There was a (bitter)sweetness about it.

That said, I'm glad they got a more upbeat ending in S10.

Oh, and as for Ross/Goren, I think that relationship was very complicated, to say the least. I think Bobby would be more likely to actually consider Deakins a friend, but I do think, despite their clashes, Ross and Goren did have grudging respect for each other. So I kind of got Bobby's reaction when Ross was killed.

Random observation: It's weird how Lucas Colter in "Homo Homini Lupis" used a pay phone to talk to the kidnappers. I mean, 15 years ago, sure, but cell phones were already in use. You'd think it would be a burner call phone rather than a public pay phone!

Come to think of it, I think the majority of pay phones are now gone. Kind of interesting to see the franchise's technological advancements as seasons of the shows go by.

On 11/1/2016 at 4:23 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Come to think of it, I think the majority of pay phones are now gone. Kind of interesting to see the franchise's technological advancements as seasons of the shows go by.

It's also a great document of what was in the past too.  My sister has lived across from Inwood Park for a bit longer than 10 years and there's never been a payphone outside the park while she's been there, just over 3 years later than HHL.  But I know there was one, because Briscoe & Logan stood right by it in an early Mothership episode.  Various eps from Mothership & SVU have been filmed right outside her apartment or in the adjoining building, as Dick Wolf & the guy who owns the adjoining building are friends.  However, The Last Street in Manhattan wasn't among those, sadly.  (I'm not sure where that was filmed, TBH.  The bar location & Eames' dad's house didn't look like anything I've ever seen up on 218th.)

I can't remember: did Colter initiate the call, or the kidnappers? If they called him, maybe he had word where to wait for the call.  If it was the other way around, Colter didn't come off as a savvy enough guy to know about burner phones. LOL!

1 hour ago, Lizzing said:

I can't remember: did Colter initiate the call, or the kidnappers? If they called him, maybe he had word where to wait for the call.  If it was the other way around, Colter didn't come off as a savvy enough guy to know about burner phones. LOL!

This was on yesterday and while I didn't watch it all I did see that moment, and the bad guys told Colter where to wait for the call.  The cops had all the pay phones ready to trace, but the bad guys called him from a cell.  They were on for a couple of minutes but it was "not long enough to get a trace". 

11 hours ago, Totale said:

They were on for a couple of minutes but it was "not long enough to get a trace". 

I think this is yet another tech example we're talking about.  :-)  I'm not a cop (ha!), but based on shows like Forensic Files, etc., I think tracing a call takes much less time than it used to. (One case on that program, where the crime took place in 1985, said calls had to be in session for 15 minutes (!) to trace.

I'm sure that is much less now.

As for "The Last Street In Manhattan", maybe it was filmed...towards the real "last street" in Manhattan? Hmm! (I'm from the upstate Albany area, not NYC, so I'm unfamiliar with NYC locations, myself! Also interesting to note that the franchise reused locations and that Dick Wolf was friends with a building owner. I love random stuff like this. If I may ask, @Lizzing, how did you know that?)

• Love 1

@WendyCR72 Since my sister has lived in Inwood for better than a decade (and in NYC for 20 years), I've been up there many times and one of my usual activities is exploring Inwood Hill Park. It's more wild than Central Park; there are paved trails, but in varying degree of maintenance, spaces where homes and asylums used to be, and then on the north end, regular park stuff like a baseball diamond.  When you come out at the north end, you're on the far west end/start of 218, which is where we'd end up for the cafe there.  If you go down 218 from west to east, there's only buildings/apartments on the south side of 218, while the north side is where Columbia's football field and athletic facilities are, so that side of the street should not have the typical rows of building/apartments on it at all.  I paused the hell out of the end of TLSIM and one sign says something like "Inwood Place" which isn't a street IRL, and all the street scenes have buildings on both sides the street, not green spaces & a football field on one side. TLSIM could have been filmed up in Inwood, but it wasn't on 218.  It did make sense that Eames was from there though; it really was a working class Irish neighborhood when Eames would have been a kid and it did become more Latino over time.  I cannot comment on the veracity of her Popsicle cost over time, however. ;)

9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm not a cop (ha!), but based on shows like Forensic Files, etc., I think tracing a call takes much less time than it used to. (One case on that program, where the crime took place in 1985, said calls had to be in session for 15 minutes (!) to trace.

When one party is on a cell phone as in HHL, even if they can't "trace" it after the call is done they can see what cell tower or towers the phone hit to make the call.  That will at least get them in the right area as might be useful in a kidnapping situation.  I remember this being the solution on a Columbo episode with William Shatner back in the mid-90s.

15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm from the upstate Albany area, not NYC, so I'm unfamiliar with NYC locations, myself!

Another L&O fan from upstate! Yay! I no longer live in the Albany area, but being from there it always made it interesting when they ventured out of NYC upstate. My NJ friends from school have said the same thing about the Jersey references.

12 hours ago, Totale said:

When one party is on a cell phone as in HHL, even if they can't "trace" it after the call is done they can see what cell tower or towers the phone hit to make the call.  That will at least get them in the right area as might be useful in a kidnapping situation.  I remember this being the solution on a Columbo episode with William Shatner back in the mid-90s.

I know about cell towers and such, but I had no idea it could be done after a call. Cool! (I didn't realize Columbo had a '90s revival, either! The things I learn here.)

6 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Another L&O fan from upstate! Yay! I no longer live in the Albany area, but being from there it always made it interesting when they ventured out of NYC upstate. My NJ friends from school have said the same thing about the Jersey references.

Once, on the Mothership, Lennie made mention of CO-hoes. Pretty awesome since that's my hometown! (Except the stress is on the SECOND syllable: It sounds like "Cuh-HOES" (spelling "Cohoes")) I got a laugh out of "Art" in S1 of CI with the art museum in Troy. Troy has restaurants, bars, and a college or two. But no art museum that I know of! So hats off to CI for trying to class Troy up, I guess.  :-P And @wknt3, how awesome we were once neighbors and didn't realize it. Were you directly from Albany or a surrounding city, as I was?

13 hours ago, Lizzing said:

@WendyCR72 Since my sister has lived in Inwood for better than a decade (and in NYC for 20 years), I've been up there many times and one of my usual activities is exploring Inwood Hill Park. It's more wild than Central Park; there are paved trails, but in varying degree of maintenance, spaces where homes and asylums used to be, and then on the north end, regular park stuff like a baseball diamond.  When you come out at the north end, you're on the far west end/start of 218, which is where we'd end up for the cafe there.  If you go down 218 from west to east, there's only buildings/apartments on the south side of 218, while the north side is where Columbia's football field and athletic facilities are, so that side of the street should not have the typical rows of building/apartments on it at all.  I paused the hell out of the end of TLSIM and one sign says something like "Inwood Place" which isn't a street IRL, and all the street scenes have buildings on both sides the street, not green spaces & a football field on one side. TLSIM could have been filmed up in Inwood, but it wasn't on 218.  It did make sense that Eames was from there though; it really was a working class Irish neighborhood when Eames would have been a kid and it did become more Latino over time.  I cannot comment on the veracity of her Popsicle cost over time, however. ;)

Well, at least the Eames stuff matched up! :-) Maybe someone did a bit of research! Cool to know Innwood history and about changing demographics, too. How cool that your sister really lived there, @Lizzing. I did know a majority - if not all - of L&O "addresses" are fictitious. I believe many such addresses would lead to the Hudson River in reality.  :-)  Must be a concession so as to avoid any lawsuits and such!

But now I really wonder where TLSIM was filmed. (My favorite episode from the final season, too.)

5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Once, on the Mothership, Lennie made mention of CO-hoes. Pretty awesome since that's my hometown! (Except the stress is on the SECOND syllable: It sounds like "Cuh-HOES" (spelling "Cohoes")) I got a laugh out of "Art" in S1 of CI with the art museum in Troy. Troy has restaurants, bars, and a college or two. But no art museum that I know of! So hats off to CI for trying to class Troy up, I guess.  :-P And @wknt3, how awesome we were once neighbors and didn't realize it. Were you directly from Albany or a surrounding city, as I was?

From the greater Capital Region. The franchise did a pretty good job with accuracy of upstate as far as travel times, etc. but pronunciation was a weak spot. I remember them butchering Coxsackie as well. It actually spoiled "Knock Off" from the mothership since I knew there had to be something up as they were making up a town and exaggerating how backwoods things were in the area, which they never did. And I was also a bit thrown off by "Art" as well. Although Troy has actually been gentrifying lately with a farmer's market, artisanal bakeries, etc. I was really surprised the last time I visited my brother and his family to see the news talking about all the hipster stuff going on in Troy. So maybe we are just behind the times although as far as I know there is no art museum. Yet.

10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Were you directly from Albany or a surrounding city, as I was?

I never got to hear Lennie mispronounce Latham, where I grew up, as LAT-ham, sadly.

4 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I was really surprised the last time I visited my brother and his family to see the news talking about all the hipster stuff going on in Troy.

As long as I can get 4 chili dogs and coffee (aka the Breakfast of Champions) at 10 AM at Famous Lunch, Troy's OK by me.  I mean, that's art in my book.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I was really surprised the last time I visited my brother and his family to see the news talking about all the hipster stuff going on in Troy. So maybe we are just behind the times although as far as I know there is no art museum. Yet.

Oh, I know about the gentrification, @wknt3. :-) Good for the city for trying to spruce itself up! But yeah, when "Art" was made in 2001, there was very little of that yet in reality. Maybe CI was foretelling the future of the Capital District. Like a Magic 8 Ball.  :-)

And @Totale, you grew up in Latham?! No way! I used to go to the (now torn down as of 2013) Latham Circle Mall on many a weekend and went to Siena College. So I know of it well! And Famous Lunch in Troy still endures! But in terms of hot dogs, at least the mini dogs? Gus's in Watervliet, all the way!

7 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

Is Inwood still a cheap section of NYC to live in?

No idea, but as said above, its demographics [from what is said here as I live upstate] have shifted from an Irish neighborhood to Latino. Come to think of it, I think CI made mention of it in a roundabout way when Johnny Eames was griping about having a hard time finding a good corned beef sandwich and Alex snarked how others were out to "ruin the white man's paradise".  :-)

18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

And @Totale, you grew up in Latham?! No way! I used to go to the (now torn down as of 2013) Latham Circle Mall on many a weekend and went to Siena College. So I know of it well! And Famous Lunch in Troy still endures! But in terms of hot dogs, at least the mini dogs? Gus's in Watervliet, all the way!

I'm so old I remember the Latham Circle Shopping Center before it even was a mall (it used to be like a strip mall in the wayback, I moved away before they enclosed it).  We're getting far off track but while Gus's is good I prefer the grain of FL's sauce.  To bring it back on track I seem to remember one of the L&O shows saying Plattsburgh (where I went to college) was "3 hours away" from NYC.  No way, Jose.  Try 5 1/2.

Yeah, the franchise was...a bit arbitrary about location authenticity. But, again, it was cool to hear locations I know mentioned, so I forgive it.  :-)

One last tangent: I wasn't born when the mall was an open air shopping center, but I did see old flyers for it online some time back, and the Wendy's in Latham used to (don't know if it still does as I haven't been there in years) have pictures of "old" Latham around the restaurant, and the shopping plaza/future mall space was among them.  :-)

For obvious reasons, the listings for CI have it preempted on WE on Thanksgiving, which is obviously on Thursday, one of its marathon days. But WE is airing it on (Black) Friday instead, so if you're shopped out and need some mindless TV, there you go.  :-)

I honestly have no idea if anyone still watches the WE marathons as the show airs a lot, but on the off chance anyone is lurking that does, the Thursday marathon is preempted during the day on December 29th for some marathon of one of WE's reality shows until...9:15 p.m. Per listings, a marathon will begin then and go into early Friday morning.