Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Down And Out Of District In Beverly Hills

• Start Topic

Oh, Jennifer Runyon, 80s TV's go to blonde. Has anyone checked IMDB to see if she is January Jones' mother?

She was kind of the budget Elizabeth Shue back in the 80s. I mostly remember her from Charles in Charge, which I watched religiously as a kid, but, yeah, she guested on a ton of stuff. 

Edited by Halo
  • Love 1

Oh, Jennifer Runyon, 80s TV's go to blonde. 

Thank you for saving me a Google. Yes her, of course, also the girl from Venkman's first scene in Ghostbusters where he helps her cheat at being psychic.

• Love 1

Steve and Kelly just straight up bailing without so much as a goodbye during Andrea's "good luck" party was hilarious and insane. I've always loved/hated 90210 for being one of those shows where people hang up without any kind of goodbye, but peacing out in person is next level. Amazing.

Grandma Rose's caftans were EV.ER.Y.THING.

Didn't Steve and Ohhhhndrea do it, or at least heavily make-out, in the season 1 episode "It's Only a Test," while studying for the SATs? The whole "Do you like me/why" thing by the jukebox seems kinda strange considering their past indiscretion...it should have been a lot more awkward, I think.

But I don't mean to sound a little...continuous.

Who dresses like that for an R.E.M. concert? At this point they were still kind of a college rock, indie-ish band. And these kids wouldn't like R.E.M. anyway, but Out of Time had just come out and they were getting popular, so I guess this made sense to people at the time. Oh, 90's TV, you rascal!

And they totally stole that whole entering someone into a writing contest and getting them in trouble with the law thing from the Mario Lopez episode of The Golden Girls.

Edited by Kristen
  • Love 1

Just because I am a gigantic doofus- yet another example of Donna eating chocolate (Andrea's cake)- which she is "allergic" too during the cousin Gina years. And it's not the first time. Hiding head in shame.

• Love 1

And they totally stole that whole entering someone into a writing contest and getting them in trouble with the law thing from the Mario Lopez episode of The Golden Girls.

And the Golden Girls neeeeeeever saw him again.

• Love 4

Yeah, Grandma Rose doesn't look quite old enough to be Ohhhhndrea's grandmother. And what the heck is behind the picture of Andrea and her mother? From the pic here, it appears to be a... beach ball with dinosaurs???

• Love 1

I think there were a few Grandma Roses during the years but this one was the best!! I still die inside at fucking Andrea trying to compare lying about your address to go to a fancy school to HIDING FROM NAZIS during THE HOLOCAUST. It is why the phrase "I can't even" was invented.

• Love 3

Yeah, Grandma Rose doesn't look quite old enough to be Ohhhhndrea's grandmother.

Lainie Kazan was nowhere near old enough but I love her as an actress so I tried very hard to believe it, and speaking as someone who had two Jewish grandmothers she nailed the role.

• Love 1

Who dresses like that for an R.E.M. concert? At this point they were still kind of a college rock, indie-ish band. And these kids wouldn't like R.E.M. anyway, but Out of Time had just come out and they were getting popular, so I guess this made sense to people at the time. Oh, 90's TV, you rascal!

I remember being super annoyed, as only a pretentious indie-ish teenager can be, at the sudden popularity of R.E.M. among the trendoids at my high school after "Shiny Happy People," aka the worst R.E.M. song of all time, was a Top 40 hit. I wonder if Warner records didn't grease the palms of the 90210 producers to feature their bands, too. 

Edited by Halo
  • Love 2

I remember being super annoyed, as only a pretentious indie-ish teenager can be, at the sudden popularity of R.E.M. among the trendoids at my high school after "Shiny Happy People," aka the worst R.E.M. song of all time, was a Top 40 hit. I wonder if Warner records didn't grease the palms of the 90210 producers to feature their bands, too. 

I was only in Jr. high at the time, but as I got older, I always assumed "Shiny Happy People" was, knowing R.E.M., meant to be ironic. Apparently it is not, and even Michael Stipe hates it. Oy, But it's totally a song that this crew would have liked (along with the angsty "Losing My Religion" of course...which, I don't care how commercially popular it got, I still love unironically, btw). These kids, at least the original Bev Niners (Kelly, Steve, Donna), they'd like whatever was popular whether it's clothes or music or whatever because they're so "trendoid", ya know.

Edited by Kristen
I still die inside at fucking Andrea trying to compare lying about your address to go to a fancy school to HIDING FROM NAZIS during THE HOLOCAUST. It is why the phrase "I can't even" was invented.

Obviously, Andrea deserved a slap across the face for the comment.  However, it did strike me as a teenager-y thing to say, only because someone that "young" doesn't necessarily have the sense of proportion and self-awareness to realize the stupidity of what they are saying. 

• Love 2

Are we supposed to like or dislike popular song ironically or unironically? I'm so confused. Then again, I never really cared whether something was like by pretentious indies or trendoids, if I liked something, I liked it. I can kind of see the gang following whatever is trendy at the time...which is basically whatever the producers would have thought kids would be listening to. Much like producers thinking high school kids would wear blazers to rock concerts...

• Love 2

Lainey Kazan is only 21 years older than Gabrielle Carteris. Just putting that out there.

Which made her what at the time? Early 70s? Ha I kid. You know who's not a kid? Gabrielle Carteris. I snorted when the reporter accused her of having mature taste. For a middle aged actress? Or a middle aged high school student?

• Love 1
On 10/11/2015 at 12:55 AM, AndySmith said:

Are we supposed to like or dislike popular song ironically or unironically? I'm so confused. Then again, I never really cared whether something was like by pretentious indies or trendoids, if I liked something, I liked it. I can kind of see the gang following whatever is trendy at the time...which is basically whatever the producers would have thought kids would be listening to. Much like producers thinking high school kids would wear blazers to rock concerts...

I will just forever love Kate Pierson!