• Start Topic

First week guests:

September 28: actor/comedian Kevin Hart, "What Now? Tour"
September 29: Whitney Wolfe, founder and CEO of Bumble
September 30: Governor Chris Christie (R-NJ), Republican Presidential Candidate
October 1: musician Ryan Adams, "1989"

• Love 1

Next week:

10/5: Seth Rogen (actor – promoting movie “Steve Jobs”)
10/6: Aaron Sorkin (screenwriter – promoting movie “Steve Jobs”)
10/7: Evgeny Afineevsky (documentary filmmaker – promoting “Winter on Fire”)
10/8: Rachel Maddow (host of MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show”)

• Love 2

10/12: Ta-Nehisi Coates (author & a national correspondent at The Atlantic – promoting article “The Black Family in the Age of Mass Incarceration”)
10/13: Richard Dawkins (author – promoting book “Brief Candle in the Dark: My Life in Science”)
10/14: Tom Hiddleston (actor – promoting movie “Crimson Peak”)
10/15: Jack Black (actor – promoting movie “Goosebumps”)

10/19: Martin O’Malley (former Governor of Maryland, Democratic Presidential Candidate)
10/20: Judah Friedlander (comedian & author – promoting book “If the Raindrops United: Drawings and Cartoons”)
10/21: Brie Larson (actress – promoting movie “Room”)
10/22: John Harwood (chief Washington correspondent for CNBC)
Week of 10/26: DARK!

Week of 10/26: DARK!

Hmmmm..... My first guess is that Trevor will be doing stand-up as a cross-promotion as the TDS host, but I checked his show dates and his next one is on Nov. 14. My second guess is that it's the week of Halloween so they're probably not gonna invest in doing Halloween-based shows and they'll take the week off. Please correct me if I'm wrong about my assumptions....

I only wonder because it seems a bit odd for the show to take a break 4 weeks after debut; otherwise, I guess Trevor+company need a breather after taking the reins.

Edited by The Luvly Junkie

I think the dark weeks are set far in advance. Remember, all of the shows ("Daily Show," "Nightly Show" and "@Midnight") are off at the same time, and the latter two haven't been off since Labor Day.

This does mean that they'll miss the next Republican debate (scheduled for Oct. 28), but it's not like there won't be loads more to come...

• Love 1

I think the dark weeks are set far in advance. Remember, all of the shows ("Daily Show," "Nightly Show" and "@Midnight") are off at the same time, and the latter two haven't been off since Labor Day.

This does mean that they'll miss the next Republican debate (scheduled for Oct. 28), but it's not like there won't be loads more to come...

Real Time is off next Friday but will air the 30th while Last Week Tonight is airing the next two weeks (may be off Nov 1st I didn't investigate that far) so this appears to be a common break.

11/2: Fareed Zakaria (Host of CNN’s GPS – promoting CNN special “Long Road to Hell: America in Iraq”)
11/3: Gloria Steinem (author – promoting book “My Life on the Road”)
11/4: David Holbrooke (director – promoting documentary “The Diplomat”)
11/5: Regina King (actress – promoting show “The Leftovers”)

• Love 1

11/4: DARK (get well soon, Trevor!)
11/5: Regina King (actress – promoting show “The Leftovers”)
11/9: Pras (musician – promoting documentary “Sweet Micky For President” which he produced & stars in)
11/10: Dan Price (founder and CEO of Gravity Payments)
11/11: Paul Bettany (writer & director – promoting movie “Shelter”)
11/12: Christine and the Queens (artist – promoting debut album “Christine and the Queens”)

Note a NEW guest for tonight's show:

11/11: Chris Hayes
11/12: Christine and the Queens (artist – promoting debut album “Christine and the Queens”)

11/16: David Holbrooke (director – promoting documentary “The Diplomat”)
11/17: Timbaland (music producer & author – promoting book “The Emperor of Sound: A Memoir”)
11/18: Ted Koppel (journalist & author – promoting book “Lights Out: A Cyberattack, A Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath”)
11/19: TBD

Week of 11/23: DARK!

Edited by trow125

I love that show! I'm so disappointed I can't watch it now that I don't get the ESQ channel anymore. It's just everyday stuff, like knocking on a door or petting a dog or digging a hole or lighting a match, but he manages to over-analyze it to the point of entertainment.

• Love 1

11/30: Spike Lee (writer & director – promoting movie “Chi-Raq”)
12/1: Chris Brown (musician – promoting album “Royalty”)
12/2: Lupita Nyong’o (actress – promoting movie “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”)
12/3: Idris Elba (actor – promoting BBC series “Luther”)

• Love 1
12/2: Lupita Nyong’o (actress – promoting movie “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”)

...Wait: there's a new Star Wars movie?!?! I had no idea! It's a good thing the cast is going out to promote it, then! Whew! ;)

• Love 3

12/3: Idris Elba (actor – promoting BBC series “Luther”)

Luther?  Did they do a new series?  Are they just putting it on BBCA or Netflix?  What odd timing!!  (Although I will probably watch that interview and highly recommend Luther -- it's a bit crazypants but in a good way.)

• Love 1

I was downright angry when I saw Chris Brown on the schedule. Then I tried a mantra of: "Maybe Trevor will call him to account. Maybe Trevor will call him to account...." But cancelling is better.

If anyone would, it might well have been Trevor. His mother was shot in the face by his step-father in 2009, he has spoken out about how badly domestic violence is dealt with.

• Love 1

Wow, apparently the staff was "split" on the booking of Brown, according to this Daily Beast article. Whatever went down, good riddance, say I.

Several Daily Show staffers told The Daily Beast that Brown's interview booking has become a cause for concern around the office. But while many staffers disapprove of the booking decision, host Trevor Noah allegedly hopes to use the interview to bring light to domestic abuse issues. Our sources confirmed that Noah brought up such a possibility during an all-hands meeting on Monday afternoon.

Maybe that's what happened during the taping, and they decided to replace him last minute instead of airing it.

I got the email announcing the change at 3:30 PM Eastern time, and I believe the show tapes around 6 PM, so I don't think that's the case.

Next week:

12/7: TBD
12/8: Secretary Thomas Perez (Secretary of Labor)
12/9: Marion Cotillard (actress – promoting movie “Macbeth”)
12/10: Michael Strahan (co-host of “Kelly & Michael” & author – promoting book “Wake Up Happy: The Dream Big, Win Big Guide to Transforming Your Life”)

• Love 1

12/14: Andy Cohen (host & executive producer of Bravo’s “Then and Now with Andy Cohen”)
12/15: Pusha T (hip hop artist – promoting album “King Push — Darkest Before Dawn: The Prequel”)
12/16: Will Smith (actor – promoting movie “Concussion”)
12/17: Will Ferrell (actor – promoting movie “Daddy’s Home”)

Weeks of 12/21 & 12/28: DARK!

• Love 1

12/16: Will Smith (actor – promoting movie “Concussion”)

That will be interesting as I'm almost positive 85% of Trevor's "Black American" impression is based on Will Smith (see around 3:50 on the video).

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

That will be interesting as I'm almost positive 85% of Trevor's "Black American" impression is based on Will Smith (see around 3:50 on the video).

Thanks for the link and screenshot, dusang. Yes, I heard WIll Smith. I also heard Denzel Washington's character Alonzo from Training Day

I just love Trevor's grasp of accents, American and non-American. It works well on TDS. 

In contrast, based on the short clips I've heard, Will Smith's Nigerian accent in "Concussion" is horrible. I wonder if they'll discuss the challenge of doing accents. I have to imagine it must be difficult to pull one off for an entire movie. 

Edited by topanga

1/4: David Cross (comedian & actor - promoting Netflix show "Todd Margaret")
1/5: Ryan Coogler (director - promoting movie "Creed")
1/6: David J. Peterson (author - promoting book "The Art of Language Invention: From Horse-Lords to Dark Elves, the Words Behind World-Building")
1/7: Dalia Mogahed (Director of Research at The Institute for Social Policy and Understanding)

• Love 1

1/11: Colin Quinn (comedian & actor – promoting web series “Cop Show”)
1/12: Greg Gutfield (Fox News Channel and author of “How To Be Right”)
1/13: Tavis Smiley (host of PBS’s “Tavis Smiley” & author – promoting book “The Covenant with Black America - Ten Years Later”)
1/14: Ice Cube (rapper & actor – promoting movie “Ride Along 2”)

• Love 1

1/12: Greg Gutfield (Fox News Channel and author of “How To Be Right”)

I'm surprised a) that an Fox "News" Channel personality has been invited to TDS, b) that said personality accepted said invitation, and c) that he had the audacity to title his book that.

Rand Paul has been added to Wednesday's show:
1/13: Tavis Smiley (host of PBS’s “Tavis Smiley” & author – promoting book “The Covenant with Black America - Ten Years Later”) AND Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY, Republican Presidential Candidate)

1/18: Moira Demos & Laura Ricciardi (directors of Netflix docu-series “Making a Murderer”)
1/19: Jess Glynne (artist – promoting debut album “I Cry When I Laugh”)
1/20: Gael Garcia Bernal (actor – promoting Amazon series “Mozart in the Jungle”)
1/21: Marlon Wayans (actor – promoting movie “Fifty Shades of Black”)

1/25: Gad Elmaleh (comedian)
1/26: TBD
1/27: Jerry Seinfeld (comedian – promoting “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee”)
1/28: Ryan Lizza (CNN Contributor and Washington Correspondent for The New Yorker)

• Love 1

Wouldn't it be funny if Tuesday's TBD turned out to be President Obama, given how whinny privileged crybaby Bill Maher has been using (abusing) the White House's petition website to get the president on Real Time?

I always assume when it says TBA that it's going to be a major "get" that they want to keep quiet. Personally, I'd bet on Hillary in a pre-Iowa Caucus appearance. I don't think it'd be Bernie since he's already appeared on "The Nightly Show" three times so it wouldn't be as big a deal.