Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Man Who Saved Central City

Trini
  • Start Topic

- Picking up months after the Singularity attacked Central City, Barry is still struggling to forgive himself for Eddie's death. Concerned about putting his friends in danger, Barry has pushed everyone away and has chosen to protect the city on his own. When a meta-human named Atom Smasher (guest star Adam Copeland) attacks the city, Iris tells Barry that he needs to let his friends help him protect the citizens of Central City. Meanwhile, Cisco helps Joe with his Meta Task Force.

Ralph Hemecker directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti & Andrew Kreisberg and teleplay by Andrew Kreisberg & Gabrielle Stanton

• Love 1

I love that Central City still loves The Flash. You gotta keep the people loving The Flash.

I was surprised that Wells confessed. I was even more surprised that was enough, I was expecting there to be a catch that Barry didn't know about. Although the catch could be revenge, by going after Barry's father. There is no way that's the last we've seen of Wells.

Cisco continues to be a highlight, and hey, now there are 3 that are good at the names.  You've got Cisco, Ray, and Stein.

And darn you Flash, I thought I had escaped that "Renegades" song for awhile, but you had to bring it back.

• Love 4

I was surprised that Wells confessed. I was even more surprised that was enough, I was expecting there to be a catch that Barry didn't know about. Although the catch could be revenge, by going after Barry's father. There is no way that's the last we've seen of Wells.

I was sure that the confession was going to self destruct like Mission Impossible 

The whole episode felt like they got sick of season one stories / cliffhangers and used the opener to wrap them up.  I suspect the next episode will be more representative of what they'll be doing for season 2.

PS.  I went and read who Zoom was and I still have no idea but I'm more confused than I was before.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 9

So Henry left so Joe can continue to be Barry's only dad? Him just leaving with no explanation made no sense.

I am glad that Joe said what happened is Barry's fault as well as all of theirs for agreeing with him.

I'm also glad that Barry is over is moping we had 3 seasons of Oliver for that. I'm assuming everyone is keeping their day jobs and will help the flash afterwards.

• Love 5

I wonder about Henry's sudden decision to leave CC, mainly due to the look Joe gave him after Henry had his talk with Barry. It kind of makes me think Joe strongly encouraged him to leave town. The question though is why? It can't just be because Barry needs to fulfill his potential as the Flash. But then again maybe it is about that. If Henry stuck around I could see Barry becoming more focused on making up for lost time with his dad and helping him get back on track than his duties as the Flash.

I was sure that the confession was going to self destruct like Mission Impossible

The whole episode felt like they got sick of season stories / cliffhangers and used the opener to wrap them up. I suspect the next episode will be more representative of what they'll be doing for season 2.

PS. I went and read who Zoom was and I still have no idea but I'm more confused than I was before.

Agreed. It really felt like nothing happened this episode except for Henry being released. Everything was kind of what was expected to happen.

I could be wrong, but I thought Zoom was just another name for

the Reverse Flash

Was I the only one who thought Dr. Stein was going to get attacked somehow by RF or some other meta human while he was standing in front of the window giving his speech? Encouraging speeches in front of Windows always make me nervous.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 7

I was expecting Wells's video message to self-destruct, too.  I thought he was just trolling Barry from the grave.

Henry's getting out of prison and leaving town happened way too fast.  I thought maybe Barry was having another dream.

• Love 3

Wow our show is back people!!. Sucks about Ronnie but since we didn't see a body, he's probably not dead (comic rules, not mine)

I actually wanted to have a cameo from Oliver tonight to snap Barry out of his funk.

Glad Wells fessed up but I'm getting a horrible feeling that somethings very wrong with Henry. As in he's sick and doesn't want Barry to worry about him when he has a city to protect. No way a single glass of champagne would get to a guy like that.

Cisco continues to be the bright light in the show. his hugs with Stein and idea for the Flash Signal were awesome!!

Zoom is coming!!

But the very best part was of course the last minute "My name is Jay Garrick and your world is in danger." Multiverse!!! Original Flash!! Hang on to your seats guys we're in for a hell of a season!!

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 5

Nice to see Barry happy again. Brooding is more of an Oliver Queen thing . . . and even he's taking time off from that.

Has nobody wondered how Wells/Thrawne would have existed in the first place after Eddie (stupidly) shot killed himself?

It's like we never left Central City. Sure, Ronnie is assumed dead (again), and who knows how much a badge would inflate Cisco's nerd boner, but we still have a fun show. And now, we're going to get Jay Garrick. Can a man make a Mercury-like hat look cool? Here's hoping. I hope they bring back the stingers . . . I missed that tonight.

• Love 3

Did Wells hit up Henry's prison cell right quick before the climax of Season 1 and whatever was said there made Henry leave? It was so weird how he just instantly left town. Well, I'm glad Central City loves the Flash. With so many deaths (Ronnie and Eddie) we needed people to root for the Flash.

I haven't been keeping up on spoilers and what not. Are we keeping Dr. Stein? I like him part of the team.

Glad Iris is now part of Team Flash.

Cisco....man, I hope he truly becomes Vibe.

Jay Garrick!!! I can't wait for his storyline to unravel.

• Love 4

Wow our show is back people!!. Sucks about Ronnie but since we didn't see a body, he's probably not dead (comic rules, not mine)

I actually wanted to have a cameo from Oliver tonight to snap Barry out of his funk.

Glad Wells fessed up but I'm getting a horrible feeling that somethings very wrong with Henry. As in he's sick and doesn't want Barry to worry about him when he has a city to protect. No way a single glass of champagne would get to a guy like that.

Cisco continues to be the bright light in the show. his hugs with Stein and idea for the Flash Signal were awesome!!

Zoom is coming!!

But the very best part was of course the last minute "My name is Jay Garrick and your world is on danger." Multiverse!!! Original Flash!! Hang on to your seats guys we're in for a hell of a season!!

I was wondering if Henry is sick too - like maybe he was diagnosed in prison and doesn't want Barry to focus on him?

I don't think it's considered a spoiler that Dr. Stein will be part of the new Legends of Tomorrow show, but I think he's going to have a huge presence on Flash setting up that show.

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 4

"Are you doing me to me?"  Joe parenting his children is my favorite part of his show.

I LOVED Stein's speech.  My dad says kadima all the time to get his (grown, independent) children moving for family dinners, so to hear it in this context was really lovely.  And to also have a portrayal of a television Jew that isn't in the Nanny or Adam Sandler vein.  Stein and Smoak for the win!

ETA: 

I laughed way louder than I should have at the Flash Signal.

So Henry left so Joe can continue to be Barry's only dad? Him just leaving with no explanation made no sense.

Seriously.  If he'd said something about living his life on fleek or starting a Snapchat empire, it would have made more sense.  A better response would have been, "Son, I've spent fourteen years behind bars.  I need a little time to deal with being back in society and process how much the world has changed.  See you for sweeps."

Disclaimer: I have no idea what "on fleek" means but it's something the youths say, right?  Right???

Edited by Lila82
  • Love 9

It was glad Joe and Barry had the talk about Ronnie (and Stein) being the one to save Central City and that Barry started the trouble in the first place.  I spent the first half of the episode wondering WTF was up with his friends trying so hard to get him to go to the party and take a bow for his mess.

Not sad to see Ronnie go.  Just not a Robbie A. fan and didn't buy him as a brilliant scientist.  Glad Stein is on Team Flash, even if it's only temporary.

So the implication is Zoom brought Atom Smasher from another world, but why would he kill an alternate version of himself?  I do like that they're willing to tinker with the comic lore (making Atom Smasher a villain). 

Time travel is always headache inducing enough, without it not even following basic logic.   If Wells never was born because Eddie killed himself, how did he make a tape to confess to the murder (much less exist to commit the murder)?  Also, why were they talking about Wells' living will when he was dead.

I enjoy Iris much better this season.  It's so much better having her be in the know instead of running around starry-eyed about the streak, looking like a fool as she goes on and on about him to everyone all ready in on the secret.

• Love 3

Awww, Jay Garrick doesn't have white hair...or a red jerkin :(

Daddy Flash being freed but leaving was sad, but I could understand it.  Missing out fifteen years of your son's life or your own life must be a terrible psychological toll.

Also, I thought Atom Smasher was a hero?  Nuklon was his original name.  Nice to see The Edge, though.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 3

Jay Garrick and his dramatic entrance was awesome too. lol

I loved team Flash talking about the new security and how no one can just walk up in there unauthorized and Jay just strolls up in there lol.

• Love 8

I've thought something was up with  Henry since the end of last season.  Not that he's sick, but he knows way more about what happened that night, about Wells or about speedsters/the speed force.   

• Love 3

So, that's why there was no word about Robbie Amell either remaining here or being on the spin-off.  Of course, since we didn't see the body, I wouldn't be surprised if Ronnie somehow comes back in some form, but I guess him being out of the picture makes what Barry did in the first place have consequences.  I'm glad the show at least acknowledged it by having Joe point it out that it was pretty much all of their faults for that one.  Still thought the whole thing was kind of dumb, but at least it isn't being fully ignored.

I will miss Martin Stein whenever he leaves (for the spin-off), because he is awesome.  Even when he is given the hokiest of hokey speeches, Victor Garber just sells the hell out of it.  And I love his little moments with the rest of the characters; not just Barry, but even the brief moments with Cisco, Iris, and Caitlin.  And he even got into the naming game!

Glad they already moved past Barry's little "I have to this alone!" phase.  Even if I can understand the logic, I found it to be very tiring, and if anything, that's just stepping into Oliver Queen's territory (dude is/was addicted to that mind-set, to say the least.)  I'm glad it was Iris who led that charge, even though they of course had Joe be the one to finally get through to him.

Harrison Wells leaving a confession tape was interesting.  Since Tom Cavanagh is still a regular, I have to think Harrison Wells is still in this, unless we're just going to see video tapes of him for the rest of the season, which I doubt.

Henry is finally freed, but we won't be getting Barry and his Two Dads anytime soon.  That was quick.  I agree that there was something suspicious about those scenes: I wouldn't be surprised if Henry is hiding something and has other reasons to bail.

The final tease was fun.  Jay Garrick!

• Love 2

I've thought something was up with  Henry since the end of last season.  Not that he's sick, but he knows way more about what happened that night, about Wells or about speedsters/the speed force.   

Maybe metahumans, in general?

I hope there is some other plan or something happening there, because there's no way Henry just abandons his son after 15 years in prison. No way. That's like the least believable way they could have gotten him out, yet not on as a regular. Sorry, guys, didn't buy it at all.

• Love 8

I liked that the Wells tape further showed Eobard's love/hate relationship with Barry-- he seemed to really value their present mentor/mentee relationship, but could never reconcile it with the hate he felt toward the older Flash he knew.  Tom Cavanagh plays those conflicted feelings really well. I wasn't surprised that Wells left something nice behind for Barry and then capped it by saying it didn't matter cuz he knew that Barry would never be happy.

When it was just Cisco, Iris, and Stein working in the lab with Joe standing by, I thought hey, Iris and Stein work pretty well as stand-ins for Caitlin and Wells. Not bad! Even so, I'm glad they got the whole team back together at the end. It looks like the Wells role will be split between Stein (for the physics stuff) and Jay Garrick (for Flash-related stuff) for now. I'm curious how Tom Cavanagh is going to fit into this dynamic and whether or not he's going to play a non-possessed version of Harrison Wells... cause if Eobard never existed, then the actual Harrison Wells should be alive somewhere right?

• Love 2

I hope there is some other plan or something happening there, because there's no way Henry just abandons his son after 15 years in prison. No way. That's like the least believable way they could have gotten him out, yet not on as a regular. Sorry, guys, didn't buy it at all.

I think he's sick. I just got a "I'm sick and I don't want to tell you or burden you" vibe from that conversation.

• Love 9

Yay, Flash is back!

Good things:

1. Wow, this show is a lot less irritating when Iris knows everything and can participate in the plot.

2. The Joe/Cisco partnership. I continue to be here for this.  Though I'm also up for the Cisco/Barry roommate situation.

3. Victor Garber. I'm suddenly a lot more enthusiastic about Legends of Tomorrow.

4. Loved the way Tom Cavanagh managed to combine hatred and admiration for Barry in that small scene.

5. Jay Garrick has arrived! Yes! Why was he taking pictures of people? I am puzzled.

Questionable things:

1. Barry inherits Star Labs only if he watches a video? His lawyers will be alerted once he does? Otherwise, Not-Wells was willing to have all of Star Labs' equipment taken into receivership?  Not-Wells, you have a much stronger belief in Barry's willingness to watch videos than I do. And what if that little flash drive had also contained a computer virus? Think about who gave it to you, Barry! Run a basic security scan first, at least!

2. I guess Martin Stein's wife is also part of Team Flash now? It was nice to have her at the party, though, and she does know Barry's secret, and that was a nice gesture to Caitlin.

3. The Flash spotlight, which Cisco got from a comic book. Ok, yes, I laughed. I also tried to slam my head into the nearest table in order to thunk it as hard as I could.

4. Given how fast Barry can move, why did it take him six months to clean up Jitters? I know the answer is "sets, we don't want to build a lot of them," but give me an in dialogue reason, show. And given that Jitters seemed to be a pretty prosperous business before the Singularity - it's apparently the only coffee shop in the entire city, after all, and it even scored Oliver Queen as a patron once - why didn't its owners do anything to clean up the place after all this time? Why wasn't it dustier?  

5. Kinda wondering what the insurance rates are for a city like Central City where singularities pop up and destroy cars and businesses like that.

6. Not sure that a video confession from a supposedly dead man would really be enough to get Henry Allen released that quickly, but ok, I'll handwave, I'll handwave. What I'm not handwaving is that since Eddie killed himself to prevent Eobard Thawne from ever existing, how is a video of Eobard Thawne pretending to be Harrison Wells, murderer of the innocent wives of doctors, still here in this universe? I AM VERY CONFUSED.

Bad things:

1. I get that the show probably doesn't want to pay John Wesley Shipp guest actor rates on a regular basis, or add another regular to the show just now, but the exit scene was really awkward - the guy just gets out of jail, and he decides to skip town and leaves the only family he has before he's had a chance to adjust to civilian life again?  Agreed with everyone that I'm hoping something more is behind that than "budget."

2. I can see the writers' room now:

Writer A: Well, we could try to make this make some sort of sense --

Writer B: Or we could just say "angular singularity!"

Writer A: Let's go with that. Wouldn't want to destroy our reputation for questionable physics at this point.

• Love 5

Still need to process, I think, because this episode felt like its lacking some things, just a little bit.  It just seemed to be missing that "oomph!" of a milestone episode (ie, a season premiere/mid-season hiatus finale/season finale, etc).

Couldn't agree more about the 'more behind Henry's leaving than just needing to let Barry be The Flash' thing.  No way on God's green earth does a wrongfully-convicted man spend ~15 years in prison, having many emotional visits with his son, immediately want to run far away from said son, just because he'd "keep Barry from his 'duty' as a superhero".  Something's rotten in Denmark, here.....

I know it was just for plot reasons, but I find it kind of hard to believe that the older man survived before the younger one, in terms of Ronnie and Dr Stein, when basically being thrown into the middle of a blackhole with no protection (after separation).  That said, of the two, I'll take Dr Stein over Ronnie.

So very glad there wasn't any 'reset button pushed', especially in terms of Iris knowing everything.  Makes it a more enjoyable viewing situation then when she was the only person left in the dark, the person Barry cares about and trusts the most (aside from his dad).

I don't know enough about the comics to get a 'nerd boner' at hearing the name Jay Garrick, but I am looking forward to seeing what is done with him and his character arc.  Him, Zoom, and

Wally West

ETA:  Re: the white background for the symbol.  I approve, Cisco.  That was a bit of a 'nerd boner' moment.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

I don't get the weird, super close Barry/Caitlin moments if the show is never going to actually go there. And I'm pretty sure it's not, so why do they even do that? Is it seriously because every female on the show has to be kinda into Barry because he's the star? Would there be anything wrong with say, Caitlin and Cisco having a deeper bond, since supposedly they've been friends for much, much longer?

I'll bring up a good example- in the old days of early Buffy, Xander and Willow had a great friendship that was every bit as important to them as each of theirs with Buffy was, and we always got to actually see it. And they put the kibosh on any possible Buffy/Xander thing fairly early on, even though he liked her for a while, because we knew she absolutely did not reciprocate.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 7

I was a little let down by the premiere. I kept waiting for the "wow" factor moment and for me it never came. Most of the episode just felt disjointed. I'm trying to recall most of what happened (at certain points my attention span did wander from the show). Normally after an episode later on my son and I will discuss it (yep we're nerds) but tonight we both just kind of sat there with a "what did I just watch" expression on our faces with nothing much needing to be said. The episode just seemed rush and didn't seem to close out or clarify certain plot points, which made them seem like block checks instead of contributing to the narrative. Oh well things I enjoyed:

1. Joe West is still an amazing father.

2. Cisco is still awesome.

3. Iris is an official part of Team Flash now.

4. The new Flash costume

5. Joe West's giggle 

6. Dr. Stein had his moments

7. Jay Garrick

Overall there wasn't too much that thrilled me. Hopefully after the whirlwind episodes of season 1 the writers are deciding to slow down season 2 a bit. That 's fine but I really wish that they didn't take the premiere episode to set the pace.

Still loving the show, but I didn't love the premiere!

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 2

I liked the episode. I did think it was kind of muted but I think that was kind of the point. Barry's guilt over Eddie and then Ronnie really messed him up. He seems like the type to internalize everything so it made sense that he pushed everyone away.

I like that we got moments with a lot of different pairings. I feel like Iris is such a stronger character this season and I'm happy to see her be a real part of the team.

I didn't see anything terribly special about Barry and Caitlin's screen time other than friendship. I think it was a scene we needed because Barry felt awful for his part in Ronnie's death. I would like to see Barry and Cisco have some screen time together too.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 2

So now Barry is responsible for Ronnie's death again. Good job there, kid. I don't feel sorry for him.

Why aren't there more women on this show?  They even had to bring in Stein's wife to make up the numbers for the party.

I think he's sick. I just got a "I'm sick and I don't want to tell you or burden you" vibe from that conversation.

That's what I thought too.  Otherwise it makes no sense to finally get out of prison and be able to catch up with his son on all those missed years, only to go away.

I hope there's a good reason for Henry leaving other than they don't want to have to pay the actor.  If that's the case, just have him off screen a lot.

I don't get the weird, super close Barry/Caitlin moments if the show is never going to actually go there. And I'm pretty sure it's not, so why do they even do that? Is it seriously because every female on the show has to be kinda into Barry because he's the star? Would there be anything wrong with say, Caitlin and Cisco having a deeper bond, since supposedly they've been friends for much, much longer?

AK even said that there would be more shippy-type moments between Barry and Caitlin.  Why, Andrew, why?

As someone who thinks Barry/Caitlin is a better ship than Barry/Iris but knows that the show will end up with the latter, I wish they would stop teasing the former.  Have them be good platonic friends like Diggle and Felicity on Arrow.

• Love 4

There was a bit of an uneven feel to some of the episode.  Something with the pacing.  Still, it closed off the open questions from last season (minus the timey whimey stuff that will just remained messed up).   

Barry's "dream" was a day dream?  That makes it sadder.

Cisco and Joe are great together.  Also just plain loved it every time Joe started laughing.  I laughed at his relief when Grodd was dismissed as a possibility, Lol.  Great call back.  

I think not enough time was spent on fixing the singularity and more than that, starting six months ahead and then flashing back, we lost the momentum from the finale.  I was back at the edge of my seat waiting to see what in the world they could do.  Cue everything is fine-ish. The world didn't get destroyed but Barry is mopey and the team was broken apart. 

I can't help but feel it would have been better to show what happened and then show the fallout. Going the other way took away the weight of the consequences.  Oh well, moving on. 

Stein is as great as I knew Garber would be. 

DP did really well in her conversation about her guilt over Ronnie.  I really like DP and Caitlin in general but she has had a tendency not to give me the emotional reaction I'm looking for but she really brought it this time. 

I was sure that if Barry watched Well's message it would unleash something terrible.  Happy surprise that instead, his dad got out of jail.  The whole time from the second he walked out of prison to telling Barry he was going to go away I was chanting under my breath, "please don't die, please don't die"  I was so afraid some sniper would get him at the prison and then during the party, I was afraid he'd drop dead of a heart attack.   I agree that something to do with his health is still an issue. 

Agreed.  Just a little more effort should have been put into the reasons for why he was leaving .  Sure, do the if I stay, you won't be moving forward in your life (all the while we know it wasn't the Champagne that was making him unsteady) but I was desperate for Henry to say something about wanting to travel and see and experience a world he had only been able glimpse from between the bars for fifteen years.  Let Barry think this was a good thing for his dad rather than his dad basically running away like he was afraid that if he stuck around he would mess his superhero kid up. 

There is probably a lot of guilt in not being there while Barry grew up and it seemed like he didn't feel like he had a hand in shaping Barry into the person he was.  Like maybe he figured he'd done so well without him that being with him could only cause ruin.  I hope they explore this more or at least explain what is really going on. 

I am glad that Joe said what happened is Barry's fault as well as all of theirs for agreeing with him.

I'm also glad that Barry is over moping, we had 3 seasons of Oliver for that. I'm assuming everyone is keeping their day jobs and will help the flash afterwards.

If Barry owns or at least is in charge of all Star Lab's assets, wouldn't he have the cash to employ them?  Still, CIsco just got his badge (I'd laugh so hard if it turned out to be some kind of junior officer shield)  Caitlin has all the state of the art equipment that might blow up and turn her into a popsicle.  Is Stein employed anywhere?  Side note, I was ridiculously happy to see his wife included.  Continuity! 

As an Arrow fan first, I couldn't help be a bit annoyed on poor Oliver's behalf.  Flash nearly destroyed the WORLD, still at least knocked down a whole skyscraper (who could have survived that?)  and for that,  he got the key to the city and the love of all the people!  Then, the big save at the end of the episode was the whole team getting together and KILLING a dude. High fives and happy feels all around!  It's so not fair, lol. 

Not a fantastic episode but really looking forward to the rest of the season. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 8

This episode seemed to be more about jump-starting the Flash feel-good after a long break than actual plot.   On that level, it worked for me.   Kadima!

(The origin of "kadima" surprised me.   I have a beach paddle ball game called "Kadima."  I've had it for 20 years.)

Maybe I'm reading too much into the Flash-signal and Cisco's remark "I think I saw it in a comic book somewhere."  It struck me as a  a light-hearted jab at Arrow's shameless recycling of the Batman mythos.

I anticipated Tom Cavanaugh might return as the real Dr. Harrison Wells now that Reverse Flash is gone, but if he does, wouldn't he be immediately arrested for murder -- a murder he didn't commit?

PS.  I went and read who Zoom was and I still have no idea but I'm more confused than I was before.

Same here.  I'm not old enough to remember the Golden Age Flash, but I was around for the Earth 1/Earth 2 crossovers of the seventies.  The concept of Earth 2 poses no confusion but trying to wrap my head around the several villains who called themselves Zoom or Reverse Flash, and the hows and whys of each, seems like more trouble than its worth for someone like myself who didn't read the original stories in the comics. 

• Love 3

I'm sorry, nobody is gonna commment on the firm the lawyer came from? Weathersby & Stone??? ELI STONE!

...had to get that out.

Liked the episode. A lot of reshuffling and setups for the season and the new show so not all that exciting as it could be. Looking forward to the new season. Shit is about to get reeeeeal!

• Love 4
(edited)

I really liked all of that! - with a couple of exceptions.

Glad the show is back! I thought it was a good wrap of Season 1, and set-up for Season 2. Glad to see Team Flash back together, glad they included Clarissa Stein. Glad Iris is involved more. Glad they didn't completely ignore the effects of the black hole. I hope Mercury Labs sticks around. Was really surprised at the confession and Henry's release! But I'm glad that they found a way to wrap up that storyline -- but then they immediately removed Henry. There better be a good reason.

They made Barry/Grant cry twice; I guess they couldn't help themselves.

Two things I didn't like:

And now Caitlyn has lost Ronnie a third time. (Does she go by Caitlyn Raymond now?) I liked Ronnie and Robbie in that role, and I'm disappointed he's not going to continue as Firestorm.

C'mon Show. You're just going to completely ignore the time paradox you created in last season's finale??  If Wells/Thawne doesn't exist then everything he did should not exist.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Surprisingly tame season premiere. Atom Smasher's fights with the Flash felt the same as every other villain that Flash fought last year.

Also I'd assume the metahumans just chilled for six months? Since Flash is still using the same "get beat up" technique that he used last season, I can't imagine that he'd survive fighting these meta humans by himself. We know he's not doing the research.

The team splitting up felt lame because the only person who was really isolated from the group was Caitlin.

Can I get an over/under on how many fake times Ronnie is going to die? Also is that grounds for divorce?

Obviously Barry's dad had to leave because Joe was spending too much time with his own daughter and we can't have that.

Finally, good to see ya Edge. I can't wait till the Miz pops up as a meta-human.

• Love 1

That's a good question actually. So, Barry himself is employing everybody at Star Labs? He's paying Cisco and Caitlin personally?

Wells was loaded so maybe he left all that money behind in an account for Star Labs expenses?  I don't know what the utility bill is for that place but it has to be pretty big.  Of course now that Cisco and Caitlin have other jobs maybe they'll just volunteer at Star Labs from now on.  Hey, the best type of labor is free labor! 

Speaking of Wells, why not leave your swanky bachelor pad to Cisco, your surrogate son? 

• Love 1

It's absoultely hilarious that Central City honored the man who almost destroyed their city (and the whole freakin universe to boot!).  What Barry did in the season finale was basically like an arsonist starting a fire so he can put it out and be celebrated as the hero.  Seriously, he knew that there was a chance that his actions could cause not just the destruction of Central City but the world and maybe even the universe.  And like a true sociopath, Barry and his enablers still decided to do this because Barry missed his mommy.  The disregard for human life they all showed was astounding.  No, Iris, Barry is not a hero.  Putting out the fire that he deliberately set doesn't make him one.  At least Enabler #1 Joe finally realized this at the end and Barry felt guilty about it (though I'm not sure even he had total self-awareness of how wrong his actions were). 

That being said, I ended up enjoying this episode.  Love having Cisco working for the CCPD and him and Joe continue to have great chemistry together.  Like that Caitlyn is working for Mercury Labs, hopefully we'll get to see more of Dr. McGee.  Nice to see Edge as the villain.

Victor Garber automatically makes everything 1000x better.  Seriously, he was great throughout and even though he won't be staying around, makes a great addition to the team.

I wasn't expecting Wells' confession but that was another awesome scene with the character and Henry's release was very satisfying...till he just decided to up and leave.  I kept expecting him to tell Barry that he was dying.  Something has to be up because this exit doesn't make a lick of sense.

Speaking of which, the timey-whimey issue.  Eddie prevented Eobard from ever being born but everyone remembers Wells?  I guess you wouldn't have a show otherwise.  A mess anyway.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4
Harrison Wells leaving a confession tape was interesting.  Since Tom Cavanagh is still a regular, I have to think Harrison Wells is still in this, unless we're just going to see video tapes of him for the rest of the season, which I doubt.

My bet? In the comics Professor Zoom is the alias for Eobard Thawne. Tom will probably be playing a version of himself from the same universe as Atom Smasher and Jay Garrick, which they set up nicely with the dead guy and Atom Smasher as duplicates of each other tonight.

I agree that his Dad leaving like that was very weird. They had him acting like the only reason he even saw Barry and the rest of the crew after his release from prison was because he needed a ride. For a minute there I thought Iris was going to get her father back  and Joe was going to get a grown up friend but alas...

Wish they would have had an Iris/Barry Heart to heart somewhere in there.

Jay Gerrick is played by an actor I like so looking forward to seeing his portrayal.

Liking the team dynamic so far.

I actually love that they gave Barry the key to the city.  Heroes always destroy at least 3/4  of the city they save.  Besides Barry saved the city from complete destruction quite a few times and those times weren't his fault at all.

• Love 4

It's absoultely hilarious that Central City honored the man who almost destroyed their city (and the whole freakin universe to boot!).  What Barry did in the season finale was basically like an arsonist starting a fire so he can put it out and be celebrated as the hero.  Seriously, he knew that there was a chance that his actions could cause not just the destruction of Central City but the world and maybe even the universe.  And like a true sociopath, Barry and his enablers still decided to do this because Barry missed his mommy.  The disregard for human life they all showed was astounding.  No, Iris, Barry is not a hero.  Putting out the fire that he deliberately set doesn't make him one.  At least Enabler #1 Joe finally realized this at the end and Barry felt guilty about it (though I'm not sure even he had total self-awareness of how wrong his actions were). 

I was surprised that they had Joe tell Barry that it was his fault. 

Victor Garber is going to be a great addition to LoT. I'm looking even more forward to that show now. 

• Love 1

I felt the opening dream sequence was a waste -- and a disappointing conclusion to the season ending cliffhanger. If you are going to treat cliffhangers so nonchalantly, why bother having them? 

Will Barry and Team Flash ever confess to anyone that they were the cause of Central City's destruction? That skyscraper snapping in two looked as if it would have caused a lot of death and damage -- and not enough time for evacuation. 

Most of the episode just felt like it was written to get characters from point A to point B : Henry out of jail and out of town ,  Cisco and Caitlin  back at the Lab, reforming Team Flash -- even tho things fell apart off screen, after the not-important-enough-to-conclude cliffhanger...

I mostly enjoy the 'lightness' of Flash, but I am starting to worry that it's bordering on fluff and silliness to the point of being watched hit-or-miss.

The biggest offender is Star Labs -- how does a giant complex, which is always shown as partially destroyed, exist only to employ 3 or four people and have a gleaming clean laboratory with lots of working high-tech equipment? And Barry already has a full time job with the police department ( and Cisco too? ). Never mind the lack of security features, how does a gigantic complex manage to run without lots of staff to keep things up? Does Caitlin dust and vacuum during her off-time? 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1

Maybe it's because I'm pregnant and overreacting to everything, but that scene made me physically angry.  All Barry has wanted for the last 14 years is for his Dad to get out of prison and come home and, well, be his dad.  And then he gets one afternoon with him, and Henry bails.  I realize that the world has changed and it's a lot to process after 14 years, but I would think Henry would want to start with the simple things.  Get a place to live, find a job, learn how to use the internet, before going off to see the big wide world.  And oh yeah, maybe SPEND SOME TIME WITH YOUR SON!!!  I may have called him a couple of not-so-nice names in that moment.  I hope there is something more to this, because, as someone else mentioned, it felt like the show just didn't want to pay JWS to be a regular. 

• Love 3

Maybe I'm reading too much into the Flash-signal and Cisco's remark "I think I saw it in a comic book somewhere."  It struck me as a  a light-hearted jab at Arrow's shameless recycling of the Batman mythos.

I anticipated Tom Cavanaugh might return as the real Dr. Harrison Wells now that Reverse Flash is gone, but if he does, wouldn't he be immediately arrested for murder -- a murder he didn't commit?

I thought that that was going to happen too, at the end of the episode. The real Harrison is discovered to be alive, only to be taken away by authorities. Then BAM! Barry has another problem of a truly innocent man being put behind bars because of Eobard Thawne for a crime he didn't commit.

Obviously Barry's dad had to leave because Joe was spending too much time with his own daughter and we can't have that.

Hahahaha. So true.

For a premiere, it was pretty good. The thing I have issue with, and the same thing I questioned during the finale in May, is how they could possibly fix anything time warp related. They changed a significant piece with Eddie killing himself to save the world. But now, a paradox has been created. Are they ever going to acknowledge this, or are they going to pretend everything that has happened is still in the canon past? Or are we going to start seeing small subtle changes at first? I guess they're going to ignore the issues held with time travel.

I felt so sad to see Henry go. I swear, if he dies this season just so Barry can have not just more sadness but so Joe can have his son solely for himself again, I'll be pissed. This is why I'm alright with sending him away. At least that means he survives longer. But I can absolutely see Henry dying in the finale for whatever reason, and I'd rather that didn't happen. Just pay the man to be a recurring character! You don't even have to have him on every episode! Just have him 'at work' or something! Have him not work at Starr Labs! But depriving Barry of being able to get to know his dad and spend time with him, all because they don't want to pay the actor more money? I'd hope John Wesley Shipp chose not to become a regular, because if not, that's ridiculous. It could have been a really solid storyline of Barry and Henry getting to know each other, of Henry having scenes with Joe and Iris, of the struggle to fit in with society, much like a metahuman has to do after a major change. Jeez. 

Better use of Iris this season thus far. She finally has a one on one scene with her dad. Sure, it's all about Barry, but PROGRESS. Baby steps.

I laughed at the 'I think I saw it in a comic somewhere' from Cisco. It seems that they've already started showing signs of his powers, with the random flash (pun unintentionally) during the celebration scene and the first look at Atom Smasher.

I love Dr. Stein, seriously. 

I do not like Caitlin and Barry together. I like them as friends; thus, I only saw their scene as friendship and as a mutual understanding for each other. I'm going to be pissed if they show romantic interest, because that's too predictable. Plus, still rooting for Barry/Iris. 

• Love 4

On a shallow note: I see the wardrobe choices for the ladies are still on point; and I'm glad they finally made the "down cowl" of the Flash costume look similar the regular cowl-- instead of a regular hood.

I really did not like this episode.

I'll start with the positives though:

Grant Gustin did a great job with Barry, as always.

Iris is finally more integrated with the main story.

I'm intrigued by Cisco's burgeoning power and thought he came off less hokey than usual.

Negatives:

I HATED Barry's dad leaving him. I see a lot of people speculating that he's sick and trying to spare Barry the pain, but that would be even worse in my eyes. Barry's already lost so much time with his father, it seems cruel to deprive him of what could be his last chance to be closer. Plus, Barry's an adult, not a child. He's in his late twenties. He is old enough to know the truth and not have his father taking his autonomy away. I also can't believe how cavalierly the show handled the whole thing. Barry's driving force was get his dad out of jail. It should have had more impact than what we got.

Really, Ronnie's dead, but possibly not dead, again? Is he not going to be in Legends? Sigh. The worst part about it is that Caitlin's story is so redundant. I mean I would still hate it, but I would hate it less if we saw some differences in her reaction. Caitlin in the pilot was closed off and she claims she was icy, but the show quickly made her goofy, nurturing, and warm (I think to make her more Felicity-like and to write to DP's limitations). If she had stayed her original incarnation and was shown as more gradually opening up and we saw her dealing with this second loss by leaning on her friends and maybe even being the one to pull others out of their isolated depression, I would be much more tolerant of it. She's been through it. She could have been a leader here.

And that would have allowed a different handling of my third problem with this episode, the glossing over of Iris' grief. I can't believe we're getting more time with Caitlin dealing with losing Ronnie when we already did this last year and Ronnie might not even be dead and yet poor Iris (whose fiance is definitely dead) doesn't even get a hug from her best friend (who supposedly is in love with her), a heart to heart with her dad to see how she's doing, or any other acknowledgement of her loss other than a sad glance at a photo on the station's wall. Not only did she lose Eddie, but she also has to have some guilt and conflicting emotions about her feelings for Barry mixed in all of that. If anyone is going to pull away, I think it would be her. And then we could have seen her and Barry finding their way back to each other. Maybe if they had let Barry have a little time to be happy with his father before writing him out, they could have used that loss to propel Iris back into Barry's life. But then I know a lot of fans would hate her even more for taking time for herself and not immediately being there for him after HE lost Eddie and Ronnie. Sigh.

• Love 4