Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What an excellent season! Of all the baking challenge shows, I think this one has found the best combination of host, judges, themes, and contestants, and of course the behind-the-scenes crew that does all of the amazing costumes, makeup, and decor. I already can't wait for next year! 

It was pretty funny that Stephanie's makeup didn't go all the way down to her very sassy decolletage. Getting that low, the makeup crew were probably like, "Uh, you're going to have to finish this yourself so we don't get sued."

I thought Lauren would be the one to be eliminated after the first round, but I'm glad they all got to go through. Her final cake was my favorite. Those masks were gorgeous, though I agree that I wish she'd had a bit more time to zhuzh them up with feathers, etc.

Bring on the holiday baking championship! And the complaints about the bakes not being holiday enough! It's tradition!

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I was rooting for Zac, but I would have been fine with any of the final four. Could never really connect with Blayre’s personality, but her final cake was gorgeous. 

I, too, was confused by Zac’s comments about antiques. He seems to be under the impression that when you hit a certain age you automatically start acquiring them? 🤔 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I'm so excited. Bring it on, John!

I am too! I have had it on my mind the last few days. I'm one of those people that loves fall and watching this means fall to me. 

• Like 9
10 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I am too! I have had it on my mind the last few days. I'm one of those people that loves fall and watching this means fall to me. 

It's part of that gradual evolution from summer to fall, along with football, kids going back to school, and so on. When the HBC season starts, it's all just starting to change, but by the finale, fall/Halloween is in full force. It's great.

I'm so sick of what is currently on my favorite channels that new shows like this can't come too soon - I mean - I've been reduced to watching Worst Cooks in America for entertainment - I'm desperate.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

Hi Everyone! Been lurking for a few years, and finally decided to jump into the message boards. I got into the BCs with the Halloween version. I’m so excited for fall… I had some pumpkin spice cookies today lol.

• Like 9
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, Splashy said:

Hi Everyone! Been lurking for a few years, and finally decided to jump into the message boards. I got into the BCs with the Halloween version. I’m so excited for fall… I had some pumpkin spice cookies today lol.

Glad you joined us!  These are fun seasons 🙂

• Like 3

How does John get his voice to be creepy but soothing at the same time? Stephanie looked great at the first challenge. When the judges appeared in their costumes, I was wondering how any of them were going to be able to eat. I wish they'd show more of what the judges say after the contestants leave. None of the desserts wowed me. The person going home was obvious. No one annoys me so this could be a good season.

• Like 7
34 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

How does John get his voice to be creepy but soothing at the same time? Stephanie looked great at the first challenge. When the judges appeared in their costumes, I was wondering how any of them were going to be able to eat. I wish they'd show more of what the judges say after the contestants leave. None of the desserts wowed me. The person going home was obvious. No one annoys me so this could be a good season.

I also was not impressed by any of the desserts. Maybe because they were pretty similar. Harder for them to show creativity when they all make a cake or tirimisu (sp).

I always love the Halloween shows. So far nobody is annoying me, but it’s only one episode in. 😁

• Like 6
7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I fell asleep with minutes left and didn't see who went home. Who was it? 

There were a couple of desserts that I really liked but nothing quite there yet. I think it is early, time to get the nerves out and then we will see. I liked most of the baker's, especially that really young woman who did the churro intestines. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

I chalk it up to first tv appearance jitters because some of those cakes were awful. These are professional bakers? Man I hope it gets better.

We have seen it before, no one looks that good and then people start pulling away from the pack. I think it is jitters and trying to bake under time constraints. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

There were a couple of desserts that I really liked but nothing quite there yet. I think it is early, time to get the nerves out and then we will see. I liked most of the baker's, especially that really young woman who did the churro intestines. 

Mike went home for his lumpy cake.  It was so fun to see John and have the show back!

• Like 5
38 minutes ago, Splashy said:

I knew that dome cake wasn’t going to cook all the way thru. He should have known that.

Still, I always feel bad for the 1st one to go, even if it was the right decision.

I have seen people make the same mistake with dome cakes on several baking shows. 

• Like 1

Carla and Stephanie looked amazing.  I'm glad this show is back, I love the theme they carry through the season.   

It really bothers me that so many contestants looked familiar.  Maybe from other holiday or cooking shows.   Or maybe I'm just mistaken. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I always love to see the fall line-up begin.  I was so happy to see John again that I almost didn't care who did what.  :)  The only contestant I had a problem with was Mandi but only because her shrill voice is hard to take.  She herself seemed nice.  My favorites so far are Ryan and Phoebe although I'll be surprised if Phoebe lasts very long.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I have seen people make the same mistake with dome cakes on several baking shows. 

I was just coming here to comment on this. Why would anyone who has done any baking think this would work. Even if you had enough time to bake it all the way through, the outer shell would be hard as a rock.

• Like 1
On 9/12/2023 at 6:11 AM, libgirl2 said:

Mandi Del Toro.  Her dad is a well-known guitarist here in San Antonio, my hubby (also an amazing guitarist) has known and been friends with him for decades.  I met Mandi several years ago and have seen photos her mom has of her creations, she is insanely talented. I'm so excited, I feel like a know a celebrity, haha!

• Like 7

So an episode where everyone has to make tiramisu. So I have to listen to so many people mispronounce mascarpone. Sheesh. One person even seemed to realize he was saying it wrong but chalked it up to tomato/tomahto

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

So an episode where everyone has to make tiramisu. So I have to listen to so many people mispronounce mascarpone. Sheesh. One person even seemed to realize he was saying it wrong but chalked it up to tomato/tomahto

It was pretty dreadful. I just don't understand why so many people screw up that pronunciation.

• Like 3
On 9/12/2023 at 5:02 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Carla and Stephanie looked amazing.  I'm glad this show is back, I love the theme they carry through the season.   

Same!  And Jon is just such a great host.  I literally laugh out loud at some of his jokes.

• Like 8

Stephanie eating through the hole in her crystal ball was adorable. A couple of times it looked like she was giggling at the goofiness of it all.

I also enjoyed her metaphorical facepalm when she realized that she had been telling the actual culinary school instructor that his tiramisu was like they teach you to make in culinary school.

On 9/12/2023 at 12:29 PM, ZootSuitWyatt said:

I do always enjoy them not being allowed to use brand names on this show. It seemed like there were a couple times Hollie paused when talking about the "Australian yeast spread," like she had to remind herself (or be reminded) to call it that.

That was just Vegemite, right? I'm not sure what else "Australian yeast spread" could possibly be. That would also explain why they kept calling Oreos "sandwich cookies," because who on Earth doesn't know what an Oreo is?? And why was everyone pronouncing tarot like ta-row? I've always heard that word pronounced just like it's spelled.

I do like how genuinely creepy some of those clown cakes were.

7 hours ago, Apathy said:

I've always heard that word pronounced just like it's spelled.

you mean with a "t" at the end? I've always heard it as a silent ending t.

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 11
8 hours ago, dleighg said:

you mean with a "t" at the end? I've always heard it as a silent ending t.

Yep, I've always heard and said tarot like it rhymes with carrot...or it could be the Mandela Effect at play, now I have to reevaluate everything lol.

Yes, Tarot rhymes with Arrow, with the emphasis on the first syllable. I've heard some people pronounce it "tuh-ROW', which drives me crazy.

Speaking of which, yes, I knew we'd be dealing with "mars-capone" again. I always joke that he's AL's crazy little brother. 

Loved when John was hanging out at the fortune teller's booth asking in a suave voice, "What time you get off?" lol. With anyone else it would be corny, but it's hilarious when he does it!

• Like 9
40 minutes ago, Splashy said:

Speaking of which, yes, I knew we'd be dealing with "mars-capone" again.

I'm at the point where so MANY say it wrong that I have to think about it EVERY TIME. 

Just learn it, people.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Although the pronunciation doesn't bother me, I do have a macaron/macaroon story - I was with some friends Friday night, discussing a baby shower we are throwing, and one of the women said she was bringing macaroons for dessert.  Knowing that the hostess is gluten free, I asked "Macarons or macaroons" to which she replied - aren't they the same?  So then I had to give them a lesson on the difference...LOL!  (In a nice way, we were all laughing about it.)  I don't like macaroons so I'm glad she won't accidentally order them for the event...LOL!

I've always heard tarot like arrow.

• Like 6