Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I think Zac also took issue with the orange color in someone's cake going all the way to the center??? The judges were in a color snit this week.

Yeah, I dodn't get that comment. What was the baker supposed to do? Not color the cake? Not color it all the way through? (How would he have done that?) That was a weird comment.

• Love 4
Just now, CheshireCat said:

Yeah, I dodn't get that comment. What was the baker supposed to do? Not color the cake? Not color it all the way through? (How would he have done that?) That was a weird comment.

I can only imagine the judges watching the show last night and reacting in horror as their detailed, informed, insightful critiques were edited down to "ew color gross" XD

10 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Why did Guillermo throw away the entire cake?

I don't know about salvaging it, but he could have set it aside. Film crew and other workers would have made short work of it, looks be damned!

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

I don't know about salvaging it, but he could have set it aside. Film crew and other workers would have made short work of it, looks be damned!

Now I'm imagining the crew going "Nooooooooo" and reaching out in slow motion as he throws it away.

17 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Trying to figure out what Stephanie meant when she said Megan's red coloring in her donut filling was "distracting". That was a head-scratcher.

I don't eat things that have a lot of food coloring, especially red or black because they frequently  taste bitter or chemically to me.  That's not true for all food coloring, usually the ones with "numbers" in the names.  I find that organic colors don't have the same aftertaste.  I also think that cilantro tastes like soap and can tell the day before milk goes bad (before everyone else can tell).

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

I don't eat things that have a lot of food coloring, especially red or black because they frequently  taste bitter or chemically to me.  That's not true for all food coloring, usually the ones with "numbers" in the names.  I find that organic colors don't have the same aftertaste.  I also think that cilantro tastes like soap and can tell the day before milk goes bad (before everyone else can tell).

For sure, and Carla mentioned food coloring with someone else. But if that's what Stephanie meant in this specific instance, it was lost in the editing (at least to my ears). She just seemed to be talking about the look of it, which...red colored goop coming out of a donut is not exactly a new, mind-blowing thing. That's where I'm scratching my head.

6 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Unless the cake was crumbling, I think it could have worked if he had scraped off the buttercream and then maybe cut off the top/dome/caramelization. It would have helped the cake cool off, too, and all he would have needed to do is make new frosting.

But I agree, either way, the cake could have been eaten and didn't need to go into the trash.

• Love 3

Renee that was close.  Tighten that shit up.

I’m worried about foreshadowing with her because first she made a donut and forgot the flavor and then she made a cake and made too little icing.

But if she had gone home and Wes had stayed I would have, well done nothing really because this was recorded months ago and what exactly am I going to do about it?  So really I would have just come here and bitched and then thrown up my hands in a snit.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 13
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Renee that was close.  Tighten that shit up.

I’m worried about foreshadowing with her because first she made a donut and forgot the flavor and then she made a cake and made too little icing.

But if she had gone home and Wes had stayed I would have, well done nothing really because this was recorded months ago and what exactly am I going to do about it?  So really I would have just come here and bitched and then thrown up my hands in a snit.

I was kind of worried about her too, not because I'm especially rooting for her (though I'm also not rooting against her!), but because when they showed her realizing her mistakes, she just seemed kind of wobbly and out of it and I thought she was going to say she was ill.

15 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Unless the cake was crumbling, I think it could have worked if he had scraped off the buttercream and then maybe cut off the top/dome/caramelization. It would have helped the cake cool off, too, and all he would have needed to do is make new frosting.

But I agree, either way, the cake could have been eaten and didn't need to go into the trash.

It looked like the cake was crumbling; one side had fully collapsed and you could see broken cake in the collapsed part; so it probably wasn't salvageable for the competition. (But could have been set aside for the crew). Then again, I suspect these cooking shows have so much waste, it was literally a cake in the bucket compared to everything else. 

Considering he was the first in the oven, he should have had plenty of time to cool the cakes (maybe dump them in the chiller once the bake was done). Was it just me, or did the camera linger a long time on the oven settings after he bantered with the other baker about having his cakes in so early? I figured he forgot to set the timer or something; but nothing seemed to come of it. 

On 10/12/2021 at 2:39 AM, GaT said:

John Henson looked different every time we saw him after they slimed him with chocolate, the chocolate was always on a different place on his face & body. 

Yeah, there was a definite cut and reset after John was "Carrie"'d with the Chocolate Pudding. I'd say they cleaned up most of the pudding on his face then smeared chocolate syrup or something to try and make him still look 'slimed' but leave his face clean enough for him to do the rest of the scene/lines. 

• Love 4

Cannot stand Zac Young. He needs to go away and never be on another show. This show is my least favorite or the holiday baking championships because of the judges. I’m rooting for Ashley, she definitely seems like the underdog and i like her. I also can’t stand when they give the contestants crappy ingredients like black garlic while everyone else has decent ingredients, it’s so unfair.

• Love 12

I hated watching Guillermo toss that cake out, even if it wasn't perfect I bet it tasted delicious. Renee needs to up her game, I was sure she was going home. I get why Wes was sent home but I thought his carrot monster was cute. 

I liked some of the other cakes more than Ashley's (especially the clown cake with the tiny raincoats) but her ganache spill really did make it stand out. 

I like everyone who is still here, there isn't anyone who I would be upset if they won. Or as upset as I can really get about a Halloween themed cooking show. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Inga said:

Cannot stand Zac Young. He needs to go away and never be on another show. This show is my least favorite or the holiday baking championships because of the judges. I’m rooting for Ashley, she definitely seems like the underdog and i like her. I also can’t stand when they give the contestants crappy ingredients like black garlic while everyone else has decent ingredients, it’s so unfair.

I just watched his season of Top Chef Just Desserts out of summer boredom. If you think you hate him now…

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Guillermo was probably told to toss the cake in the bin by the producers for the drama.  If they wanted to show Guillermo being benevolent and feeding the cast and crew with the "ruined" cake, they would have at least mentioned it.  The bin the cake went in was most likely nice and clean, and retrieved later.

• Love 1

Food Network is currently airing a marathon of Season 4, which was the season Lyndsy won. It's one of my favorites, because of how scared John seemed to be of her, even though (or because) she was so calm and quiet XD

20 hours ago, Maya said:

I just watched his season of Top Chef Just Desserts out of summer boredom. If you think you hate him now…

Oh that’s why i hate him. He was so awful on that show i can’t believe he still gets television work. 

• Love 3

I've already watched but am afraid others might not have, so

Yay Guillermo!!  So close to getting rid of Adina, yet she survives until the final round.  I wasn't surprised Ashley was the one to go, but she gave a good try.  I'm not familiar with fault line cakes, so I didn't understand the fault the judges found with her large fault.  The weak whiskey cake should have gone.  So glad it's still between Guillermo and Megan.

Edited by CrystalBlue
3 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I've already watched but am afraid others might not have, so

Hide contents

Yay Guillermo!!  So close to getting rid of Adina, yet she survives until the final round.  I wasn't surprised Ashley was the one to go, but she gave a good try.  I'm not familiar with fault line cakes, so I didn't understand the fault the judges found with her large fault.  The weak whiskey cake should have gone.  So glad it's still between Guillermo and Megan.

The issue with Ashley's fault-line was that there was too much negative space. By using different-sized cakes to create the fault instead of different layers of frosting, there was too big of a gap/overhang, which created a lot of empty space. If she had used cakes closer in size, that wouldn't have been as much of an issue (Val actually did this on the Spring edition a couple years ago, with more positive results).

On top of that, the judges also didn't like the clash in flavors, the underdone apricots, or the muddled story of Ashley's cake, whereas their only issue with Adina's seemed to be that she was too light on the booze (and Zac thought her fault-line was a little too neat). They loved Adina's flavors and the story and look of her cake. So I don't think it was actually close at all, and they just needed someone else in the bottom two.

Not trying to slam Ashley, I liked her just fine, but it seemed pretty clear that she had by far the weakest cake based on the judges' comments.

5 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

The issue with Ashley's fault-line was that there was too much negative space. By using different-sized cakes to create the fault instead of different layers of frosting, there was too big of a gap/overhang, which created a lot of empty space. If she had used cakes closer in size, that wouldn't have been as much of an issue (Val actually did this on the Spring edition a couple years ago, with more positive results).

On top of that, the judges also didn't like the clash in flavors, the underdone apricots, or the muddled story of Ashley's cake, whereas their only issue with Adina's seemed to be that she was too light on the booze (and Zac thought her fault-line was a little too neat). They loved Adina's flavors and the story and look of her cake. So I don't think it was actually close at all, and they just needed someone else in the bottom two.

Not trying to slam Ashley, I liked her just fine, but it seemed pretty clear that she had by far the weakest cake based on the judges' comments.

Thanks for the fault-line cake explanation.  I was not surprised Ashley was the one sent home but was surprised Adina was in the bottom two.  I'm still rooting for my two faves.  I feared for Guillermo when Zac commented that he didn't like his purple rosettes.

Did you see the preview ending of this episode where someone appears to not appreciate the camp counselor's interference?  I wonder how that's going to turn out or if it was edited to be a fake out.  Also, Guillermo appears to have another re-do a la the cake in the trash bin.

• Love 1

I still have a bee in my bonnet that a former contestant who was in a previous finale is now in the finals again. She had her chance! And I thought her cake design was too busy. 

Loved Stephanie’s and Zack’s costumes. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I still have a bee in my bonnet that a former contestant who was in a previous finale is now in the finals again. She had her chance! And I thought her cake design was too busy. 

I agree with Renee has an unfair advantage since she's a veteran and the others are supposedly newbies.  I swear I've seen Megan before somewhere before because I remember the contestant who had Save the Whales as her charity and her paw print neck tattoos.  Has she been on a show before or is it another gal who reminds me of her?  I may be wrong.

7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I feared for Guillermo when Zac commented that he didn't like his purple rosettes.

The judges have some weird criticism this season; I think he explained the rosettes perfectly and they made sense with his design.

I had a random thought while watching - it's always said that simple syrup doesn't make the cake sweeter. If it doesn't make it sweeter, why are they using it to add flavor especially since there's a much larger quantity of sugar in the syrup.

I didn't get the enthusiasm over red velvet cake and coffee. Red velvet cake is basically a chocolate cake and coffee and chocolate is a very old and traditional pairing. No one re-invented the wheel here.

I love the roll cakes with a pattern. I think they always look pretty even if they don't. But either the show has become very predictable or I've been watching it too often - the moment Ashley had to go to plan B with the chocolate, I had a strong suspicion she might be going home.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Did you see the preview ending of this episode where someone appears to not appreciate the camp counselor's interference?  I wonder how that's going to turn out or if it was edited to be a fake out.  Also, Guillermo appears to have another re-do a la the cake in the trash bin.

I tend to tune out the previews because they usually give away what the final bakes look like, but I always assume drama in the previews to be a fake out.

26 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:
8 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I feared for Guillermo when Zac commented that he didn't like his purple rosettes.

The judges have some weird criticism this season; I think he explained the rosettes perfectly and they made sense with his design.

More proof that Zac is often talking just to hear himself talk. I did like that Carla chimed in to say that the rosettes made perfect sense.

I think the right four bakers are in the finale (although I constantly forget Megan). Though we can’t taste the cakes, I was shocked that Adina was in the bottom this week. Her cake was gorgeous. I get why some people are annoyed by Renee being back on the show, but I think she’s very likable and talented, so I’m fine with her being there. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

it was funny that all the bakers were absolutely horrified by Stephanie (as I was). And I think whoever "dresses" Zack does not like him! A fluffy poodle????? He always seems to get the ridiculous costumes!

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, dleighg said:

it was funny that all the bakers were absolutely horrified by Stephanie (as I was). And I think whoever "dresses" Zack does not like him! A fluffy poodle????? He always seems to get the ridiculous costumes!

He IS ridiculous.  Cannot stand Zack.  Please, Food Network, ditch him pronto!

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, dleighg said:

She did look really creepy! 

And yea, I wonder if he picks or they dress him? Bad choices either way. That poodle looked ridiculous. 

• Love 4

I am very bored with this show, & I'm glad next week is the finale. The only reason I'm still watching (as long as you consider reading a book at the same time & occasionally looking up at the TV watching) it is because there is nothing else on.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, GaT said:

I am very bored with this show, & I'm glad next week is the finale. The only reason I'm still watching (as long as you consider reading a book at the same time & occasionally looking up at the TV watching) it is because there is nothing else on.

I still enjoy it. It isn't quite GBBO level, but I don't mind. Plus I like Guillermo!

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Four bakers in the finale?  Is this a first?

They've been doing this recently. If it follows the way they've done it before, the bottom two in the first challenge will have a bake-off, and then we'll have our final 3 who will do one more challenge to determine the winner. My cable guide says it's a two-hour finale to fit all that in.

3 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

They've been doing this recently. If it follows the way they've done it before, the bottom two in the first challenge will have a bake-off, and then we'll have our final 3 who will do one more challenge to determine the winner. My cable guide says it's a two-hour finale to fit all that in.

I think they will do that too. Cheering for Guillermo, but I like all of them. 

• Love 2

Adina's my pick, but they're all fine. Ashley would have been, also. Just hoping they get the chance to do their best work with no major mishaps.

55 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Adina's my pick, but they're all fine. Ashley would have been, also. Just hoping they get the chance to do their best work with no major mishaps.

Yes, no high drama, just baking! 

• Love 4
On 10/19/2021 at 8:49 AM, dleighg said:

And I think whoever "dresses" Zack does not like him! A fluffy poodle????? He always seems to get the ridiculous costumes!

The costume department! The heroes we deserve! I am usually annoyed by Zac, he is trying WAY too hard to perform instead of judge and most of his criticisms seem random or nitpicky. 

I like Ashley but I am not surprised that she went home. I think the right people are in the final round, I like all of them and would be happy with any of them winning. Guillermo and Adina are my favorites though, I loved Guillermo's giant teeth cake. 

I don't blame the bakers for being freaked out by Stephanie's costume!

• Love 2

I know it’s Adina’s face and she can’t do anything about that, but she just does not look pleased to be there.  Even when she makes a joke it’s more like someone who once saw someone else be funny, and is trying to imitate that.

She seems like a good baker though, even if it amuses me that she finally got to pick her own flavor, and bombed at it.

The drawings of the fault line cakes were so awful.

Purple is a Halloween color Zac!  

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I don't blame the bakers for being freaked out by Stephanie's costume!

I enjoyed how they've set up this bit where Renee runs from the judges after generally positive comments before they can say anything bad, and then had the payoff this episode with scary clown Stephanie REALLY giving her a reason to run...and running after her!

Edited by tracyscott76
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I know it’s Adina’s face and she can’t do anything about that, but she just does not look pleased to be there.  Even when she makes a joke it’s more like someone who once saw someone else be funny, and is trying to imitate that.

She seems like a good baker though, even if it amuses me that she finally got to pick her own flavor, and bombed at it.

The drawings of the fault line cakes were so awful.

Purple is a Halloween color Zac!  

I thought the same thing! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Zach reminds of of a small dog that yips constantly. He seems to love to be snippy and nit pick about odd little things that the other judges are like whatever about.

That is it! 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Zach reminds of of a small dog that yips constantly. He seems to love to be snippy and nit pick about odd little things that the other judges are like whatever about.

I just figured that why his last costume was selected.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Every single reaction to Stephanie’s costume, starting with John’s, Cracked. Me. Up. 😂

I freely admit that I did not care for Adina in the beginning, but she’s really grown on me. I don’t give this show 100% of my attention when I’m watching, but she strikes me as effortlessly talented. I hope she wins!

• Love 4

Stephanie-wise's costume was certainly in the Top 10 Judge's costumes, if not Top 5. And the reactions all around were great. Some were probably hammed up, but I agree, her chasing Renee out was a great moment as well. I'm not sure if it was planned or just a spur of the moment idea that worked (could be either easily); but either way it was entertaining. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 10/23/2021 at 10:02 PM, Taeolas said:

Stephanie-wise's costume was certainly in the Top 10 Judge's costumes, if not Top 5. And the reactions all around were great. Some were probably hammed up, but I agree, her chasing Renee out was a great moment as well. I'm not sure if it was planned or just a spur of the moment idea that worked (could be either easily); but either way it was entertaining. 

I just listened to Stephanie on the Food Network Obsessed podcast. She absolutely loves costumes and for the 1950’s themed episode she went out herself and sourced pieces of her costume from vintage shops. Zach was on the podcast before that and he was also an interesting guest. 

• Love 9

I am upset that Meghan didn't make it to the finals. I hate that, once again, it's down to two of the stronger bakers for sudden death into the finale.

I am livid that "rosemary" was an acceptable dreaded ingredient.  I'm biased because it's my favorite herb but even for people who hate it, they at least know that it's used often in desserts. 

Guillermo's "gelatin" was sort of on the same plane.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5