Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I hate that shit. You can offer constructive feedback without being a jerk about. And since the contestants obviously can't say anything back or dish it right back to him, it's tantamount to bullying. I agree with whoever said reality judges have been far too influenced by Simon Cowell.

Pretty sure the judges are encouraged to act like they do by the production team and I would be surprised if the contestants didn't know about it.

That said, I'd prefer if the show were less "flashy" for the lack of a better word. I watch it for the baking, not the judges putting on a show but fortunately, it's still at a point where I can ignore it enough to enjoy the baking.

• Love 1

Despite that dickish move from Zac, I feel like he's softened his criticisms a bit, compared to some older episodes.

I would love to see a bit more baking feedback at times too, but that would probably require adding to the length of the show.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Oh I agree that Zac can be harsh, but at least his point was made to the contestant.  Push yourself, don't go with the expected.  

And that's what he should have said! I can't stand Zac, so maybe that is coloring my remark. :)

On 10/1/2021 at 10:27 PM, CrazyDog said:

Despite that dickish move from Zac, I feel like he's softened his criticisms a bit, compared to some older episodes.

I would love to see a bit more baking feedback at times too, but that would probably require adding to the length of the show.

Duff and Valerie both offer constructive criticisms on the Kids' Baking Championship - too much sugar, baked too long, decorate the board, too, and more.  Adults have feelings, too, Zac.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Hey, Food Network!  How about a special - or even a series - of your 'experts' competing against each other?  I'd love to see someone take Zac Young down a peg or 12.

From your fingers to God's eyes!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Hey, Food Network!  How about a special - or even a series - of your 'experts' competing against each other?  I'd love to see someone take Zac Young down a peg or 12.

They have done competitions of the experts or judges but they're judged by "colleagues" so the critiques tend to be very minor. 

As for tonight, I'm really surprised they eliminated a contestant whose cake they liked just because of decoration. 

• Love 5

I was very surprised at Sherelle being sent home, and really don't understand why.   The judges have said before that even if the decorating isn't wonderful, that if the flavors are there, and the baking in right (not overdone, or even worse underbaked), that you won't be sent home over a pretty cake that taste blah. 

At least one other baker had a much worse dessert, so I'm still confused at why Sherelle was sent to the haunted Lake. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I thought it was predictable that Sherelle was sent home because she didn't complete the decoration of the cake which did not tell a story.  I'm so happy Guillermo and Meghan did so well again.  I thought Adina was going to be their sweetheart but since her cake had problems, they rightfully called it out.  I thought the judging was fair.

• Love 9

As much as I didn't like Sherelle's baking, I thought it was weird that she just about made it last time and then this time, she messed up her meringue and was unable to finish her decoration (it was her who messed it up, wasn't it? I was baking myself while watching). Either way, after last time, it felt almost too predictable that she went home but maybe I'm just feeling this way because I thought her cakes looked too messy anyway and would have sent her home last time already?

• Love 3

Adina's palpable disgust with candy corns was cracking me up. I don't hate them THAT much but they're certainly not my favorite, and I can see how one might balk at trying to incorporate them into a cake. And yet, that wasn't what ultimately tripped her up and they loved what she did with them. You just never know.

8 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I thought Adina was going to be their sweetheart but since her cake had problems, they rightfully called it out. 

Adina's been called out before (during the paired "two halves of one cake" challenge, for example). If anyone is the judges' sweetheart this season, it's Renee (though I don't really think they have one).

I did laugh at Adina turning the processor on every time John went to speak, lol.

And then, after a long day, fell asleep with 10 minutes left in the episode. I'm sad to see Sherelle go, but she is very talented and sounds like it was just the time constraints of the competition that got her. 

Megan is my favorite so far. Her personality, her talent, everything. I hope she goes far.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, CrazyDog said:

I did laugh at Adina turning the processor on every time John went to speak, lol.

And then, after a long day, fell asleep with 10 minutes left in the episode. I'm sad to see Sherelle go, but she is very talented and sounds like it was just the time constraints of the competition that got her. 

Megan is my favorite so far. Her personality, her talent, everything. I hope she goes far.

The judges always praised the taste of her cakes but I agree, I think she just couldn't "rush it" like the others could. Probably with more time, her cakes would have been stellar. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Adina's palpable disgust with candy corns was cracking me up. I don't hate them THAT much but they're certainly not my favorite, and I can see how one might balk at trying to incorporate them into a cake.

There is a great recipe on the interwebs to make homemade Butterfingers with candy corn and butter (?).  I would have made that a filling or something. The judges love texture. 🙃

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I hate when any show brings back a former contestant. They had their chance, so move on! I’m sure Renee is a very nice person and she is a great baker, but I don’t want her to win. 

They reaired last season sometime last week and I had forgotten Renee made it to the final three. I understand even less why they brought her back now, it's not like she was cut too soon to show her stuff last time.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, CrazyDog said:

I loved that too, because it was clearly spontaneous and got a genuine laugh out of John, briefly breaking his usual demeanor.

1 hour ago, Claire85 said:

MaScarpone. Not MaRscapone.

Every year.

Sorry, just had to let that out. 

For this reason alone, I'm rooting for Meghan, who appears to be the ONLY baker to correctly pronounce it!

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, carolibra said:

For this reason alone, I'm rooting for Meghan, who appears to be the ONLY baker to correctly pronounce it!

(re Mascarpone); while Meghan pronounced it correctly the first time, around the 5 minute mark she did it wrong. What is WRONG with people?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I hate when any show brings back a former contestant. They had their chance, so move on! I’m sure Renee is a very nice person and she is a great baker, but I don’t want her to win. 

I wonder if there was some covid-related issue with two other contestants or something? Otherwise it’s just so random that they would bring those two back. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ZootSuitWyatt said:

They reaired last season sometime last week and I had forgotten Renee made it to the final three. I understand even less why they brought her back now, it's not like she was cut too soon to show her stuff last time.

There was another season that brought back a contestant that was in the finale for season 2.  I thought that was a bunch of BS.  I think she was a 911 operator.  I don't wish her any ill will, but if you get to the final 3 you shouldn't get to come back and compete again unless it's a second chance type deal with all previous contestants.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, dleighg said:

why did they keep talking about it as "licorice"? Red licorice does NOT have licorice flavor! "I really want that licorice flavor to come out."

I would have shredded the red licorice (which I think she did) and put it on the cake as bloody, ground up, human flesh. Missed opportunity! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I was very surprised at who was sent home, and really don't understand why.   The judges have said before that even if the decorating isn't wonderful, that if the flavors are there, and the baking in right (not overdone, or even worse underbaked), that you won't be sent home over a pretty cake that taste blah. 

Agreed.  They even said the guy’s cake tasted poorly, and he’s been circling the drain for a couple of weeks, so I thought for sure he would go.

I have to admit I adore Renee and felt she was last season’s rightful winner so I’m not sorry to see her back and doing well.

• Love 7

I like Sherelle but I think it was time for her to go. She's a very talented baker but she seemed a bit out of her league now compared to the others. Congrats to her for lasting so long against so many professionals. 

I thought the ghost tree was my favorite decoration wise, but Megan is my overall pick for the future winner, or I hope so at least. She seems really sweet and has been very consistent with great bakes. 

Adina's loathing of Candy Corn cracked me up. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I thought the ghost tree was my favorite decoration wise, but Megan is my overall pick for the future winner, or I hope so at least. She seems really sweet and has been very consistent with great bakes.

Those ghosts were very cute and spooky, which is my ideal Halloween aesthetic.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:07 PM, Claire85 said:

MaScarpone. Not MaRscapone.

Every year.

Sorry, just had to let that out. 

I think anyone who misprounounces Mascarpone should be kicked off immediately. 😉

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I think anyone who misprounounces Mascarpone should be kicked off immediately. 😉

Agreed!  And macaron / macaroon.  Like nails on a chalkboard when I hear these from people cooking on a cooking show!!

• Love 11

I tend to give them some leeway with pronunciation because they're never just talking conversationally. They're either explaining what they're doing in the midst of scrambling to get it done, or they're saying it in a talking head where they're trying to remember what they did (or their lines) and a producer is probably just trying to get something usable so they can go on to the next person. So a lot of it might just be getting tongue-tied or having a brain freeze and saying the wrong thing.

11 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I tend to give them some leeway with pronunciation because they're never just talking conversationally. They're either explaining what they're doing in the midst of scrambling to get it done, or they're saying it in a talking head where they're trying to remember what they did (or their lines) and a producer is probably just trying to get something usable so they can go on to the next person. So a lot of it might just be getting tongue-tied or having a brain freeze and saying the wrong thing.

You're nicer than I am :)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I tend to give them some leeway with pronunciation because they're never just talking conversationally.

I sort of half agree with this-- because so many people mispronounce it (meaning mascarpone), I often have to think to myself "now which way does it go again?" even though I certainly know which is correct.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1

A sports radio show tossed out the phrase “one bad apple spoils the bunch” and now I’m stymied all over again.  They hated his sad little apple, didn’t like his blood spatter and didn’t like his flavor.  Hers was sparse, but the blood was good and the flavor was good.  So she got bounced because of poor time management, when they earlier stressed that flavor is important?  So stupid.

• Love 1

Sherelle's cake looked very good and apparently tasted good but........................  She had no decorations so she didn't fulfill the requirements of the challenge.  I think that's actually why she was eliminated.

• Love 8
On 10/7/2021 at 12:42 PM, tracyscott76 said:

You. I like you.

(because the older I get, the more frequently this happens to me, and I used to be a huge stickler for grammar/spelling/pronunciation)

I’m rooting for Guillermo and Renee!

• Love 2
Spoiler

It wasn't too surprising that Wes was the next to go based on the past performances and then this contest.  He seemed like a nice guy.  Yay for Guillermo and Megan!  I was nervous for Guillermo after his first cake was ruined and I'm glad he pulled off the second one.  I'm pleased that Zac has good things to say about Guillermo's scary clown cake, especially at the commercial break when we were left wondering what Zac's response to Guillermo's assumption that he did not like it would be.  Adina continues to annoy me with her bitchy attitude about what she doesn't like.

Edited by CrystalBlue
Reposted as SPOILER because not aired live yet! Sorry!
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

The episode airs tonight. How did you see this already? I guess a streaming service?

Edited by tracyscott76
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I watch on discovery+ streaming.

Thanks for adding the spoiler tag! With all the viewing options out there anymore, it's hard to keep track of when it's "safe" to either comment or read comments.

54 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Yes, thanks for the spoiler tag! I would think that it wouldn’t be necessary to use spoiler tags after the episode has aired on FN on Monday nights. But the mods may have other criteria.

I watched during the insomnia hour (after 2am PDT) on discovery+.  All the Halloween FN shows were available to watch!  Next stop:  Not Halloween Wars This Year and Outrageous Pumpkins.

• Love 1

Trying to figure out what Stephanie meant when she said Megan's red coloring in her donut filling was "distracting". That was a head-scratcher.

Still rooting for Adina. I suppose some might find her attitude bitchy, but I think she's funny XD. If I had to use black garlic and candy corns in past challenges, I might be expressing relief at being able to do my own thing, too. Plus, she's really talented and would be a good winner (though this is a pretty good top 5 overall).

23 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Trying to figure out what Stephanie meant when she said Megan's red coloring in her donut filling was "distracting". That was a head-scratcher.

I found that to be an odd and senseless criticism as well.  Isn't red the color of blood for Halloween?  Isn't blood running out of the donut Halloweeny?  Megan's creation was really good.  It's like Stephanie just had to say something critical just to be critical and not helpful or rational, like Carla does.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

No idea what colors they're using so maybe it had an aftertaste? Or it was just something visual?

I'm assuming they edited out what would have explained it? (I hope so).

Why did Guillermo throw away the entire cake? Couldn't he have tried to take off the icing and salvage the actual cake? (And I'm always amazed when bakers discover that frosting melts when coming into contact with something warm. Since cream cheese, butter and/or eggwhite are usually part of it, who would have thought?!)

I'm susprised the judges didn't comment on Guillermo's fondant work and use of fondant.

Why didn't Renee make a naked or semi-naked cake out of her cake? And shouldn't a baker be able to at least guess how much filling they're going to need, even a home baker?
That said, I'm glad she didn't go home since her ganache spill worked well and the taste seems to have convinced the judges, so it would have been unfair.

I liked other cakes better than Ashley's cake before the ganache spill but I liked it afterwards and since it apparently tasted great, I'm okay with her win.

• Love 7

John Henson looked different every time we saw him after they slimed him with chocolate, the chocolate was always on a different place on his face & body. 

Edited by GaT
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

No idea what colors they're using so maybe it had an aftertaste? Or it was just something visual?

I'm assuming they edited out what would have explained it? (I hope so).

I think in this case it seemed that the issue was visual. Carla did say something about food coloring affecting taste in someone else's product, but Stephanie seemed to be talking about the look of it in Megan's donut filling. I'm going to also assume it made more sense in real time and the editors butchered the comment for time.

I think Zac also took issue with the orange color in someone's cake going all the way to the center??? The judges were in a color snit this week.

Edited by tracyscott76
For clarity