Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/13/2020 at 2:00 PM, mlp said:

I don't know what the Hot Tamale Train is but "Duuuuuude" is a Carla-ism.  I've seen her say that on several shows.  She seems to have added it to "hooty hoo' (not sure of spelling).  Personally, I wish "dude" in all its manifestations would just go away.

The Hot Tamale Train comes from Mary Murphy, one of the judges on So You Think You Can Dance. Whenever one of the contestants, particularly if it was a duo, did a really superb (and sexy) performance she would start screaming they were on the Hot a Tamale Train and yell Choo Choo!  Here’s a link from You Tube.

• Love 2

I think they tend to say something only if a baker seems to going far off track--that they're pretty sure it'll hurt the baker in the judging (like the earlier episode, when Carla questioned something as well).

I did like Carla's shoutout to DC on her top.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, springbarb said:

I think they tend to say something only if a baker seems to going far off track--that they're pretty sure it'll hurt the baker in the judging (like the earlier episode, when Carla questioned something as well).

I googled to see what her connection to the area was, and it turns out she went to Howard. I'm not really familiar with her outside of this show.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Unless the judges (they’re JUDGES, for goodness sakes) are providing super helpful guidance to each and every baker, they should not provide guidance to even one baker.  They can banter but they cannot guide IMO.  Irritating and really unfair.  

But we don't know that they don't -- we only see what we're shown on TV.  It's possible that something was said to every baker, it was just Renee and her unicorn cake that ended up in the show.  Of course, the edit was made after the fact, to show that she took Zac's words to heart and that it worked out for her in the long run.  Potentially other suggestions/guidance don't have as much portent and aren't included in the episode.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

The Hot Tamale Train comes from Mary Murphy, one of the judges on So You Think You Can Dance.

I've never watched this show and that woman in the clip (whom I've never heard of) is a perfect example of why I hate shows with screaming and yelling like that.  I appreciate knowing where the expression came from though so thanks.

1 hour ago, springbarb said:

I wondered why she wore a pin that said 202.  I still don't know.  It's not a zip code so ???

18 minutes ago, mlp said:

I've never watched this show and that woman in the clip (whom I've never heard of) is a perfect example of why I hate shows with screaming and yelling like that.  I appreciate knowing where the expression came from though so thanks.

I wondered why she wore a pin that said 202.  I still don't know.  It's not a zip code so ???

It's the area code for Washington DC.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

The competition is for a nice amount of money and certainly a great add to their baking resume so I don't think ANY advice should be given, even if they're going off the rails.  The judges should encourage someone who's having difficulties, but zero guidance in a competition IMO.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
On 10/13/2020 at 11:00 AM, mlp said:

I don't know what the Hot Tamale Train is but "Duuuuuude" is a Carla-ism.  I've seen her say that on several shows.  She seems to have added it to "hooty hoo' (not sure of spelling).  Personally, I wish "dude" in all its manifestations would just go away.

"Hootie Hoo!" has been her trademark since back when she was on Top Chef.

9 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

The Hot Tamale Train comes from Mary Murphy, one of the judges on So You Think You Can Dance. Whenever one of the contestants, particularly if it was a duo, did a really superb (and sexy) performance she would start screaming they were on the Hot a Tamale Train and yell Choo Choo!  

Mary Murphy & her hot tamale train is the reason I stopped watching this show. I can't stand her.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, GaT said:

yeah, she was talking about when she and her husband were in the grocery store and "misplaced" one another, one would yell out "Hootie" and the other would respond "Hootie Hoo" or something like that. I mean, I'd be totally embarrassed to do something like that, but to each her own I guess. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

yeah, she was talking about when she and her husband were in the grocery store and "misplaced" one another, one would yell out "Hootie" and the other would respond "Hootie Hoo" or something like that. I mean, I'd be totally embarrassed to do something like that, but to each her own I guess. 

I guess it was because "Marco Polo" was already taken.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GaT said:

Mary Murphy & her hot tamale train is the reason I stopped watching this show. I can't stand her.

I agree with you. She is not my favorite, and as the host she is unbearable, and unfortunately, it looks like she is also hosting Holiday Baling Championship. I am not happy about this because I look forward every year to the Holiday Baling Championshio. ☹

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, jlc said:

I agree with you. She is not my favorite, and as the host she is unbearable, and unfortunately, it looks like she is also hosting Holiday Baling Championship. I am not happy about this because I look forward every year to the Holiday Baling Championshio. ☹

Jesse Palmer is returning as host for the holiday show but Carla is a judge instead of Lorraine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, jlc said:

For a moment I thought you meant Mary Murphy was hosting Holiday Baking Championships, & I was confused. 🤣

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, rlc said:

Am I the only one who is furious with the finally? What a waste of two hours of my life I’ll never get back.

Agreed. So bummed about the winner.  You could just tell the tears and the family stories were going to sway the judges.  Call me a cold fish, but I just want the winner to be because of the bake.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

You knew she was going to win when they couldn't find a single fault with her cake.

I don't know what was edited out with regards to what they said to Renee but I found it cruel that they told her that they didn't know why she had doubts and then told someone else they'd won. If Renee really struggles with confidence then that's exactly why she has doubts about herself, because no matter how well she bakes, there's always someone who's better, apparently. (Even if the judges suggested that there's not, because they said that what Renee did was great, as usual, during the episode).

That said, I think consistency throughout the show should count for something, too. If a competitor is delivering solid results throughout the show and then have cake where only one judge thinks that one flavor doesn't fit while everyone else loves everything about the cake, it should be enough to win, me thinks. Or differently put, it's really odd when someone who's been less consistent and only got into the finale through the bake-off then wins.

This was a weird winner.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

Poor Aaron. "Dwaye" looked like he was a Smurf, too blue. And his eyes should've been closed since he was asleep when he drowned. Maybe draw some Zzzs in the bubbles. Rubber ducky was a good idea but badly executed. If only the flavors had come together, he still might've won.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I am pretty frustrated. This is a tv stow that relies on viewers. The dead piano cake was the best! Decoration should be 70% of the score. WE the viewers can NOT taste through a screen. The winner's cake didn't even look like a Halloween cake! And SHE KNEW it herself, that's why she looked panicked when she saw her competition. I get that it has to taste good to the judges but as long as it tastes decent I am happy. I can't taste these cakes, but I got eyes, and the winner's cake was utterly forgettable and not worthy of a HALLOWEEN championship. They should score at LEAST 60% on presentation, because after all, this IS a tv show. The winner was talented, but not worthy of the title. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I thought the floating cakes just looked awkward. Would someone in real life want three cakes strung up and held on a metal frame?  I knew Sinai would win somehow after she told her family story.

I know it is partially due to Covid , but the flow of the show is off especially the part when two of the judges come out in costume and kind of stand around and make a few comments. Then what is the point of them changing back out of costume before the end. I didn’t think any of the cakes looked great and none of the flavor combinations sounded good to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

You knew she was going to win when they couldn't find a single fault with her cake.

I don't know what was edited out with regards to what they said to Renee but I found it cruel that they told her that they didn't know why she had doubts and then told someone else they'd won. If Renee really struggles with confidence then that's exactly why she has doubts about herself, because no matter how well she bakes, there's always someone who's better, apparently. (Even if the judges suggested that there's not, because they said that what Renee did was great, as usual, during the episode).

That said, I think consistency throughout the show should count for something, too. If a competitor is delivering solid results throughout the show and then have cake where only one judge thinks that one flavor doesn't fit while everyone else loves everything about the cake, it should be enough to win, me thinks. Or differently put, it's really odd when someone who's been less consistent and only got into the finale through the bake-off then wins.

This was a weird winner.

I think they should have fewer contestants, then judge on a point system (maybe make the finale the mist points). Sometimes my favorite bakers leave early cuz of an accident, then the show isn't as fun to watch toward the end imo because not many people left. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

In a lot of sports and things, it does come down to whoever can win that last game/series. I was disappointed that Renee didn't win, even if it did seem that Sinai made the better tasting cake. I really like the idea of a points system over the course of the competition. (However, I can't complain too much; there have been a few baking championships where I didn't like the best baker...who lost in the finals.)

• Love 2

I realize that this was a competition and that the competitors, by this time, should have been prepared for twists, but I thought that last night was unfair to them.  All four of them were used to one challenge per show and they had been told that they were all in the final.  I'm sure that that's what they were mentally prepared for when they walked into the studio/kitchen.  Instead they were told that they had the mini challenge and then a run-off and then the final.

3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I thought the floating cakes just looked awkward. Would someone in real life want three cakes strung up and held on a metal frame?

Sugar Rush did something like that but they attached the cake to a chandelier (instead of a metal frame) and had the contestants incorporate lighting into the design.  Sugar Rush has a two bakers instead of one though.  They also don't make them stop to break open a coconut in the middle of the challenge.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

This is the first year that I didn't have a favorite baker going into the finale so I thought I'd be happy with whomever the judges chose.  I wasn't.  I liked Sinai and I have to accept that her cake tasted great but I wasn't impressed with its appearance at all.  Neither was she.  The best thing they said about her decorations was that the fondant was smooth.  Well, it's supposed to be.  I felt like her back story tipped the scale.  The piano cake looked good from a distance but it had flaws up close.  I did like the face but the black piano keys were uneven and not applied straight.  I thought Aaron should have won based on appearance even though his rubber ducky could have been better.  The cake itself did look somewhat compressed and maybe too moist.  

I hope they go back to three judges next season with a congenial host like Clinton Kelly.  I like Carla but she seems to be on everything lately.  I do like the new female judge (can't think of her name).  She seems to have the perfect personality for this kind of show and she worked well with Zac whom I love.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I know it is partially due to Covid , but the flow of the show is off especially the part when two of the judges come out in costume and kind of stand around and make a few comments. Then what is the point of them changing back out of costume before the end. I didn’t think any of the cakes looked great and none of the flavor combinations sounded good to me.

Absolutely agree, I wish they would get rid of the whole costume thing to begin with. This show was just a mess this year. Not enough judges, too much Carla, too many "twists", & stupid, unnecessary things like the "haunted house" they had to walk through each episode. They need to cut out all the crap (and Carla) & just do a baking competition based on Halloween. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I do like the new female judge (can't think of her name).  She seems to have the perfect personality for this kind of show and she worked well with Zac whom I love.

I had seen Stephanie Boswell on another FN competition show -- maybe Christmas Cookie Challenge -- and I didn't like her vibe.  I have done a total 180 -- love her and absolutely love her humor.  She was a great addition.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I swore at the TV you guys.  Really loudly.

That was crap.  Renee was the best from the JUMP and her FALL flavored cake didn’t get any dings that I can recall.  I wish I were independently wealthy so I could give her the cash.

Sinai was nice, but not in Renee and Aaron’s class, IMO.

It’s funny, because Renee was my favorite baker and I am furious at the outcome, but Michelle was my favorite person.  I actually teared up when Michelle lost the bake-off and she clearly wanted to hug Sinai, but they had to do an air five.  Dumb COVID.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I was just as surprised as Sinai when she won. I thought her cake was rather boring. The cutting board on the top layer was great, but then the bottom two were just plain red with a couple of things here and there. She should have made them different colors and had the blood from the severed finger dripping down the middle and pooling on the bottom or something. I would have been fine with either Aaron or Renee. As @Cammi said, since the viewers can't taste it the look needs to weigh heavier in the result, and Aaron and Renee's cakes were much more visually appealing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I actually thought the judges were told to say something nice about Sinai’s cake so that it wouldn’t be so obvious that she was a distant third. Guess not. 

This season suffered from two unlikeable judges and Carla who I find extremely annoying. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

So disappointed in the finale!! Renee or Aaron clearly deserved to win -especially Renee. I loved Sinai but she didn’t deserve to win. Her cake was simple and not memorable. The judges should consider all of the baking throughout the competition. Renee proved herself week after week as well as Aaron. They definitely got screwed over. Sinai’s story about taking her family to Puerto  Rico swayed the judges. Love zac and the new judge!  

4 hours ago, Popples said:

As @Cammi said, since the viewers can't taste it the look needs to weigh heavier in the result, and Aaron and Renee's cakes were much more visually appealing.

I think it should be 50/50. Sure, we can't taste the cake as viewers but cleanliness of the decorations aside, I think it's all subjective anyway and taste and looks should weigh equally.

I liked the idea of a point system that someone mentioned. Another option could be to rank them or rank them and award points according to the ranks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

I always thought a point system would be preferable in the Kids competitions, to avoid sending one home every week

Even if they sent one kid home each week, a point system would make it easier for the kids to understand why, even more so if they awarded points for cake taste, cake texture, filling taste, filling technique (whether they filled it cleanly and put in the right amount), cake decorations/looks, cleanliness of decorations and maybe efficiency. They also could include overall creativity, as in did they make something unique or stick to the "same old, same old".

I think it could help kids (and adults) improve as well, because it shows them in which area they need to improve their baking.

I believe almost all of these cooking challenge shows do actually use a point system. The audience just aren't told what the points are (Iron Chef exempted). I don't know if the contestants are told the points off camera or not, but very often on other shows (I think I've seen it on Chopped and GGG), during the judging portion you'll see them filling out forms. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the points system is mandatory because cash prizes are being rewarded, to show the competition is "fair" (or as fair as can be expected without blind tasting)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Taeolas said:

I believe almost all of these cooking challenge shows do actually use a point system. The audience just aren't told what the points are (Iron Chef exempted). I don't know if the contestants are told the points off camera or not, but very often on other shows (I think I've seen it on Chopped and GGG), during the judging portion you'll see them filling out forms. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the points system is mandatory because cash prizes are being rewarded, to show the competition is "fair" (or as fair as can be expected without blind tasting)

The shows you're mentioning are one-shot deals, however.  You would need a cumulative point system for the multi-episode shows like this one, where you keep removing the person with the lowest amount of points each week.

• Love 2

Well, even for these on going shows, I'm sure they use a point system. They just start with a clean slate every episode. I'm pretty sure Top Chef does points as well and it's an on going elimination show too. 

Ultimately I think I'd be fine with that, especially if the contestants are aware of their score as they go. Otherwise, you could have one or two contestants who are basically mathematically eliminated, and who get disillusioned with the show, but they're still there for whatever reasons. (And some challenges only work when you have fewer contestants left anyways). 

A point system really wouldn't do anything.  If producers want a certain outcome for whatever reason (cumulative performance, sob story, social statement, potential to be an on air personality, etc) they'll do it.   A point system would just mean they manipulate those points, either by directing judge's scoring by "consulting" with them prior to voting or just outright displaying whatever numbers they want to support their decision.  

These competition shows that are based on skill are not subject to normal game show rules, no matter what money is involved.  Ultimately the winner is subjection and there's no guarantee that the final winner will be based on judges opinions (if the judges are even allowed to be truly independent and honest), viewer votes or whatever other method they may present as deciding the winner.  Ultimately, the producers are allowed to pick any winner they want for any reason they want.   This is clearly outlined in the contracts the participants sign and in the fine print that whizzes by at the end of these shows.  

• Love 2

Finally finished watching this. What!??! How the hell did that almost bare red cake win????? I thought for sure it would come down to Aaron or Renee because obviously Sinai's cake was under decorated, especially for the finale. Even she thought it was under decorated! It must have tasted amazing, because visually it was a distant third........What a crappy ending........

• Love 3

Yay!  John Henson is back.  I like all the judges too.  It does seem too early for a Halloween show to start but I'm looking forward to all the holiday shows as I do every year.  I'm just hoping they don't ruin Halloween Wars again.

• Love 9
On 9/2/2021 at 3:56 PM, Maverick said:

Glad John is back but I wish they'd stop starting these Halloween shows so early.  They're over by mid-October.

It's just like all the other holidays that start way too soon -- I saw Halloween candy in the supermarket the second week of August.