Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I somehow missed the first half of this season (no fear, I've already set all of Holiday Baking Championship to record) so tuned in last night for a marathon from the episode where Brenda got eliminated with rosewater through the finals. Kept me going while working on making my own Halloween costume from scratch ... so here are my quick thoughts ...

I was absolutely rooting for Jamal who I thought was lovely and creative. It seemed he went through those last few challenges, though, with little (or not-so-little) careless errors each time in the process but with an end result of apparent deliciousness which kept him alive.

With no prior opinions built, I felt like Lyndsey was the favorite so not really surprised when she won. 

On the final challenge, all I could think of with Michelle was the time back when I was 10 that I competed in a sandcastle contest. Basically, I was surrounded by much better sandcastles (though we were all 10 so they weren't THAT amazing) whereas I made a big pile of sand with a few notches here and there but crafted such an elaborate story for the judges of "what everything was" that I actually won. Almost 50 years later I'm still sort of ashamed of that victory. And Michelle's decapitated mermaid twin head reminded me of that.

I REALLY thought if the title was supposed to be based on the performance in the finals then Jamal was ripped off ... I thought his creation was absolutely breathtaking (a big fan of night-sky designs) and it was clearly the most delicious based on the judges' response ... 

That said, it seems like the title was more of a "what you did all season or at least recently" pick and I can't really argue with that.

Hoping that we'll see Jamal on future shows because he's just a delightful breath of fresh island air!

PS Speaking of people I wish we were NOT still seeing from previous shows, I winced every time they showed the trailer for Ultimate Thanksgiving Challenge ... ugh Christopher ugh ugh ugh. 

• Love 6

I am not a fan of Lynsey whatsoever and am so glad that her sing-song, baby voice is gone.  But I will absolutely give her props for a having great deal of talent and her cake was the most beautifully decorated of the three last night -- she deserved the win based on the final challenge.  Jamal has definitely missed the mark in the last couple of weeks' challenges which is a shame because I like him SO much.  I agree with the poster above -- FN, let's see Jamal on future shows (if he wants to do so)!!  Michelle's final cake was not even slightly appealing and she was not a gracious loser.  With all of the "your cake is so dry" comments, it could not have come as a surprise to her that she didn't win, but to just STAND THERE when everyone is hugging and talking at the end was bizarre.  It was like she couldn't leave her spot on the stage.

Love John Henson; Lorraine grew on me this season; Carla was the wonderful Carla; Zach is just meh for me -- his personality is not my cup of tea.

On to the Holiday Baking Championship... 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 4

Maybe Jamal will end up on Best Bakers, or one of the other FN shows where there aren't gimmicks.      I think Jamal would have won if he hadn't done fondant that was so thick.    I wish in the finale they would give the contestants a lot more time, even two days, and no gimmicks except the theme. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, mlp said:

I stared at that mess Michelle made and listened to the explanation and I still couldn't figure out what I was looking at.  The judges' comments were way too kind.

I have to admit that Lindsey earned her victory but I just didn't like her and her flirty expressions.  I was hoping Jamal would win.  I hope good things come to him as a result of the exposure.  He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

I hope FN finds something else for John Henson in the near future.  I really enjoy watching him.  

I agree. To me it looked like a giant blob. 

15 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Maybe Jamal will end up on Best Bakers, or one of the other FN shows where there aren't gimmicks.      

I would like to see him again. He is very talented and just a real nice guy. I didn't care for Lynsey, but she was really good. When I saw that last cake, I knew she was going to win it unless it was the WORST thing they had ever tasted. 

• Love 5

Quit giving all these ridiculous complicated themes that are so hard to work with and guarantee failure. And the requirement for a smoke effect was lame at best.  For the final just tell them to make their best Halloween cake, pie and go with it. I am betting we would see more spectacular results.  

AND come back John Henson. For anything!

• Love 9

The smoke theme was lame mostly because everyone implemented it the exact same way, i.e. let's throw some dry ice into a little pool of liquid and be done with it.  I'm not saying I could've done better, but that tells you it was probably just a lazy theme in the first place.

I'm ok with Lindsay winning and would've been ok with Jamal, too.  So I guess all is right with the world.  Michelle's mermaid cake was a big ol WTF (and a clear indicator that trying to scale home baker talent to that level ain't easy!) 

Seems like opinions are mixed on the judges... I generally like Lorraine, has anyone ever seen that old baking school show she used to have on Cooking Channel?  She obviously knows her stuff.   I've always disliked Zac on every show he pops up on because he seems to be super into himself, even when he's joking around, it's still like, YEAH I'M JOKING AROUND SEE HOW COOL I AM BECAUSE I CAN TAKE A JOKE.  It just grates on my nerves.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, ruffy666 said:

Seems like opinions are mixed on the judges... I generally like Lorraine, has anyone ever seen that old baking school show she used to have on Cooking Channel?  She obviously knows her stuff.   I've always disliked Zac on every show he pops up on because he seems to be super into himself, even when he's joking around, it's still like, YEAH I'M JOKING AROUND SEE HOW COOL I AM BECAUSE I CAN TAKE A JOKE.  It just grates on my nerves.

Ooh, I now want to hunt down Lorraine's old baking show. I like her a lot. She was on the worst baker in America show wit Duff and they were great together. I stopped watching Worst Cook in America and never would have watched this if not for Lorraine and Duff. It was ok because of them, though. Totally agree on Zac, too. 

I didn't mind Michelle but she did a terrible job on that final cake. Still, she had a pretty good run. As others have said, I would love to see Jamal on another show (and Jon Henson on a lot more shows). He's a delight. I liked Lyndsy and thought she deserved the win. Enjoyed the whole series. 

• Love 2

I didn't mind Michelle and even defended her in the comments, but wow - she was super annoying in the finale. Also that zombie mermaid thing was god-awful ugly and wasn't even close to the theme - and she even got to choose her theme!

I agree with Lindsay's win but she still rubs me the wrong way. Jamal was my favorite.

• Love 6

To my mind, Jon Henson was the best Talk Soup host EVAH. I haven't seen enough of him lately, so more More MORE Henson!

Glad to see everyone agreed on Michelle's mermaid monstrosity. Even after her story I couldn't tell what it was. Her clown face last week was nearly as lame. And she has annoyed me since the season began. When she made that crack when she was assigning the dreams to the other two and Lyndsey gave her a comment right back, she had such a nasty look on her face. Damn, Michelle, if you're gonna dish it out, you gotta learn to take it.

I like Jamal a lot, and I think he'd be great on a show of his own. Sadly, his cake had issues tonight. I think it was close between him and Lyndsey. Notice how he made the face on the running man character? So clean and well done. Michelle didn't even try. I will admit I LOL'd at Jamal's skull with a nose on it. Ha!

• Love 6

What the HELL was that thing Michelle made? I don't think I've ever seen something so bad in the finale before. Damn.

Glad my girl Lindsey won. I loved that she had a dude gone splat with the blood and everything. Girlfriend did not shy away from the macabre this season. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, festivus said:

What the HELL was that thing Michelle made? I don't think I've ever seen something so bad in the finale before. Damn.

Somehow when it came out looking like a three year old smushed play-doh on a pile of dirt, she convinced the judges it was zombie mermaid. Way to go. Now the question is, would some one actually want to serve that at a halloween party? Unless it was a party for three year olds where the three year old guest of honor made it, I don't think so. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, festivus said:

Glad my girl Lindsey won. I loved that she had a dude gone splat with the blood and everything. Girlfriend did not shy away from the macabre this season. 

It was like she wanted to make a zombie even though she had a ghost theme and it turned out looking like a mermaid so she called it the ghost of a zombie mermaid.  Idiotic.

I liked Lindsey too and wanted her to win.

• Love 3
On 10/31/2018 at 3:26 PM, ruffy666 said:

I really like Lorraine and Carla. I've never seen Lorraine's show on the Cooking Channel... but like the authority she brings to the show. She's super critical... but, to me, it seems like she tries to find something nice to say too. She and Carla seem to get along well too. Not like the older woman, who seemed to base her critique's on whether she personally liked the contestant. 

I agree with you about Zac. He seems to be trying too hard... whether he's trying to be funny, clever or snippy. He just needs to pull it back some. Carla can be a little over the top sometimes... but, in the end gives thoughtful and constructive critiques. 

I was rooting for Jamal... but I'm cool with Lindsay winning. Her cake looked the best...  I knew she was going to win, if her cake was tasty too. It was so nice to see Jamal give Lindsay a big congratulatory hug. I think we'll see both of them again. Unfortunately, I think Michelle will pop up a few times too. No way the producers are passing up on that camera mugging and attention grabbing personality.

• Love 6

This is a show I listen to while doing other things and then watch the judging. I cannot do that this season because Katie's voice is intolerable to me and I have to have it on mute with closed-captioning. So, I guess I'll watch on demand and just fast forward the judging and watch the cooking portion. 

Some of my problem with her voice probably stems from my hearing loss, which will make some voices worse when on the telephone or video, but I'm also bothered by the fact she can't cook and has no business judging a competition. Whenever she is on a show, like The Kitchen, her contributions are basic and it's like she reads a script when she is asked to say something judging like on Beat Bobby Flay. It's like she is reading from Wikipedia when it's clear she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. She once got bitchy because someone didn't take her advice on buttermilk biscuits, because she was wrong about it. The other judges agreed with the cook.

I'll take back some of the crap I gave Damiano if they switch him out. He did improve a bit when they had him judging the Christmas shows and he got over the advice given to him by Giada and Bobby that made him think he was fine sitting there trying to ooze sexuality and failing, after he read the awful reviews he was getting. Tregaye did, too. Her personality became tolerable after she was off FNS. Make her a judge here. 

Katie -  "The ingredient we told you to add at the last minute seems like an afterthought."

Me - "No shit. The desert was well on the way to completed before it was sprung on the bakers."

It is one of the things that drives me crazy on all these shows. They should be given the challenge very early on if they want the end result to showcase it. The other judges rarely give the bakers crap about it unless it becomes a deciding factor in the winner and/or elimination because they have been there before. 

To the first episode, I don't think Jess should have went home when the other desert was so dry and crumbly.  

Halloween Cake-Off didn't record. 😭

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Christina said:

Halloween Cake-Off didn't record.

It's on again right now.

I agree with your other comments.  Katie Lee is very pretty.  IMO That's all she has going for her.  She just loves being the center of attention.  I was annoyed with her right off the bat tonight because, as the "new kid on the block" on this show, she had too much to say, especially as she was sitting next to two people with actual baking credentials.

I hate the twists on every competition.  As far as I can tell, everybody hates twists.  Contestants are already under a lot of pressure with time constraints while trying to do good work.  They don't need an unnecessary complication.  I wish FN would just stop it.

• Love 4

I am surprised Brittany didn’t go home. That cake was a mess. It really looked like a child made it without adult supervision. I can’t remember anything as embarrassingly bad from a previous season. It’s a challenge for $25k and she presented a giant white blob with a black spot smashed on a disaster of a green blob. It made no sense as a “monster”. Even if it hadn’t collapsed it was a lazy design. Plus, while she’d included her marshmallow cream, all the judges agreed it wasn’t good.

Considering they named someone who literally served the twist ingredient in a separate cup as one of the top two desserts, having it under the eclair in the same dish shouldn’t have counted against Jess. At least it was on the same plate. Making a good eclair is far more complicated than cake. Whatever.

I felt bad for the baker who couldn’t think of a secret. And he wasted a good pumpkin recipe on the first challenge when you know pumpkin will be mandatory down the line. 

I really liked the home baker’s cake. The fondant technique and the tentacles did look professional. When his cupcakes sunk, I thought he should have made a filling so he could cut out the middle, sunken part. 

I don’t like ninja dad. Scaring another baker wasn’t funny. It was mean. Glad she won because I know I would have been off my game after that shock. 

• Love 5

I'm still not hearing anything wrong with Katie's voice that people on every forum talk about. But for me that's a good thing :).  The marshmallow afterthought comment, was not the first time a "twist" has been used as an afterthought & called out. Every baking show, someone(well usually more than one) has gone the route of using the twist just to put on top or garnish. And they've been called out on it. I know some of you don't like her, but she is a judge who at least is critiquing versus just saying "nice" things.  And unlike Damiano(IMO) she doesn't seem to say it with a snotty attitude. And while Jess's was used as an afterthought as well, they were talking about how everyone's tasted also. I feel bad because she's from here(WI).  I am going for Karl with the win. Man he seems a lot more experienced at not only the baking, but the ability to be in a competition. Not everyone can handle the time factors.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, luvapickle said:

And unlike Damiano(IMO) she doesn't seem to say it with a snotty attitude.

I don't think too many folks doubt that Damiano was snotty on this show. I definitely didn't care for him, to the point that I almost didn't watch the Christmas Cookie Challenge after seeing he was going to be on it. He was light years better there, and I would gladly take new-and-improved Damiano over Katie Lee.

I actually don't mind not having Lorraine Pascal this season, as she's already on the Spring and Holiday versions and I kind of like having different sets of judges on the different series. That said, I really, really, really wish we could have Sherry Yard back instead of Katie.

Re: the episode...I also think that Brittany should have gone home over Jess. Overall, it was kind of an underwhelming start. Too bad we can't get Goth Helena from GBBO over for this show 😄 !

Edited by dewelar
Clarify
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, mlp said:

It's on again right now.

I agree with your other comments.  Katie Lee is very pretty.  IMO That's all she has going for her.  She just loves being the center of attention.  I was annoyed with her right off the bat tonight because, as the "new kid on the block" on this show, she had too much to say, especially as she was sitting next to two people with actual baking credentials.

I hate the twists on every competition.  As far as I can tell, everybody hates twists.  Contestants are already under a lot of pressure with time constraints while trying to do good work.  They don't need an unnecessary complication.  I wish FN would just stop it.

I have never liked the twists on these shows because they usually are at a point where the person is half way or almost done and then has to figure out where in the heck to stick something. Or if its earlier on, they usually have their concept going (along with the basics) and then have to rethink it. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Did anybody else recognize Pete Tidwell?  I know I've seen him before but I just can't remember where.  It must have been one of the cooking/baking shows.  I like him.

He was on Cake Wars:  https://magazine.byu.edu/article/mighty-baking/

Gesine Prado would be a perfect judge. She has kind of disappeared.

She was actually on last year's Christmas Cookie Challenge.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 1

I’m trying to figure out where I have previously seen Katie and failing, and it’s driving me bonkers.

Even though Jess’s theme didn’t come through, they really liked her filling so I was surprised she was sent home.

47 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I’m trying to figure out where I have previously seen Katie and failing, and it’s driving me bonkers.

I remember her back when she was Katie Lee Joel and was on Top Chef as a judge or something. I wasn't sure it was the same person. I didn't know she and Billy divorced. I didn't realize she had actual cooking/baking credentials.

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 3

Katie Lee was the first hostess (since season 1 it's Padma), of Top Chef.   Then was on the Kitchen, and had a short run series on Food Network about food for the summer or beach.      She may have the baking and cooking chops, but I don't like her voice, and she doesn't seem very nice.     They called her Katie Bot or something like that during Top Chef, she just comes across as one note.  

I love Carla so much, and Zac seems fun.   Both of them really seem to embrace the theme and the costumes.   

(I corrected the Kitchen reference, thanks for the help.  I definitely needed it.   I didn't realize the Kitchen was still in production.)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On 9/23/2019 at 10:40 PM, rocketinu said:

Katie's voice can collapse a cake.

I watched the show with my daughter last night.  She went to an Ivy League school.  I'm just telling you that so you know that she's spent time with a lot of pretentious people in her life.  After hearing Katie talk my daughter said, "I don't know if I've ever heard someone who can pack so much condescension in so few words."

Does anyone else think that the judge's costumes are getting to be too much?  I find them distracting.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

I watched the show with my daughter last night.  She went to an Ivy League school.  I'm just telling you that so you know that she's spent time with a lot of pretentious people in her life.  After hearing Katie talk my daughter said, "I don't know if I've ever heard someone who can pack so much condescension in so few words."

Does anyone else think that the judge's costumes are getting to be too much?  I find them distracting.  

I've always hated the costumes and the vamping. I dislike the whole idea of costumes in general, really!

• Love 1

I adore Carla and Zac!  They seem to be really enjoying themselves and embrace the Halloween spirit.  I don't mind Katie.  She seems ok I guess but I do miss Lorraine. 

I kinda like the costumes.  It's Halloween!!  This is a fun, silly show that's not suppose to be taken seriously.  At least I don't think so; I like the idea that the judges dress up for the main challenge. 

The host, John....enh he is a bit annoying but still goofy and fun.

• Love 6

I like the really impressive costumes since it's a Halloween show.  Before they walk out, I'm kind of eager to see what they've come up with.

I'm a fan of Carla, Katie and John -- Zac is my least favorite but he does know his stuff.  John's humor is fun and he keeps things light.  He's good for the bakers in that way, I think.

I was pleased with last night's elimination but suspect that dear Sheldon is not long for this show.  As a home baker, he simply doesn't have the depth of knowledge and experience that the others can automatically draw upon.  But I sure do like him.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

Sheldon is not long for this show.  As a home baker, he simply doesn't have the depth of knowledge and experience that the others can automatically draw upon.  But I sure do like him.

Yeah he's an ok dude but he does seem a bit out of his element for this show.  I don't think anyone who hasn't gone to pastry school or has a career as a baker has ever won or gone far in this competition.  Brittany, the girl who was just eliminated, seemed sweet and she had the most beautiful big blue eyes ever!  I was sad to see her go.

I predict Karl Fong and Julie are going to be in the top 2.  I like Julie, she's got a cute blonde pixie haircut and sweet personality to match and Karl just knows his stuff inside and out!

• Love 4

I like Sheldon too but, yeah, he just doesn't have the depth of knowledge and the experience of the professionals.  I did feel bad for him because I'll bet that his semifreddo really was set but started melting while he was waiting his turn and he couldn't really argue with the judges.

My money is on Pete.  He has super credentials and I just plain like him.  I like Karl too.

• Love 3