Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Stupid theme--wedding cake of wedding characters.  I hate lavender flavor in anything and when the one baker said elderflower tasted like potpourri it made me gag.  The guy that won--I'm glad he won, but that looked more like a children's birthday cake than a wedding cake for wedding characters.  I did like the bandage, though.  Go, Jamal!

• Love 3

I like when John was “scared” of Lindsey’s serial killer smile and started screaming for everyone to run. He just cracks me up. Someone tweeted at him that he and Cicely should have their own show. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, mlp said:

I didn't care for any of the costumes this week.  Zac looked ridiculous (and knew it) and Lorraine looked dead.  I don't know what Carla was supposed to be but I was sort of amazed that she was able to hold her eyes open with those thick fake lashes.  

Have you seen the movie Coco? I think she was essentially supposed to be an alebrije, of which there are many in that movie. (Not that she was a particular character from the movie...just if you've seen it, you've seen those.)

• Love 5
On 10/9/2018 at 10:07 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

I'll miss seeing Cicely and Jon's relationship blossom.

I still love this, lol.

What a terrible challenge. I know the secret ingredient/twists won't work with all recipes, but giving everyone such potentially strong flavors when they are halfway through baking is just wrong. I'm so glad Jamal stayed. There really wasn't much he could have done with lavender. He was doomed if they didn't taste it, but it didn't work with his flavors either. Sigh.

I'm a nervous fidgety person myself, so I get it, but I just want to grab Michelle and make her stop moving around when they are doing judging or challenge explanations and she's waiting in the line, swaying around. It's so distracting. She seems nice though. Her cake sounded awesome.

Lindsey is OK, but I do like her terrorizing Jon, lol. He's so lost without Cicely.

Steven seems like a nice quiet guy. I loved his pie last week, and his cake was cute. 

Jamal is definitely at the top on this show...I'm rooting for him, and I'll be shocked if he doesn't win.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, CrazyDog said:

I'm a nervous fidgety person myself, so I get it, but I just want to grab Michelle and make her stop moving around when they are doing judging or challenge explanations and she's waiting in the line, swaying around. It's so distracting. She seems nice though. Her cake sounded awesome.

When they are doing the stuff where they are standing in a line, hearing the challenge, the camera keeps going to her, because she EMOTES big time. Hands on the ears, mouth wide open, eyes wide open. It drives me nuts. I guess all the other folks look like I would look. Bor....ing.....

• Love 10
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

Have you seen the movie Coco? I think she was essentially supposed to be an alebrije

Thanks.  I had to Google to find out what those are.  Very cool.  I'd like one of those dragons.

• Love 2

I don't get the tight time limits on these shows.  All it does is undercut the quality of the final product...  it all looks half-assed.

Supposedly, you have a room full of talented bakers, so give them adequate time to fully showcase their capabilities, and present a complete product.

The time limit, not only adds NO value, but it actually hinders the potential "wow" factor.  Give 'em time to do what they do.

• Love 9
On 10/13/2018 at 7:17 PM, kj4ever said:

He was in the holiday baking championship. I think it was season 2 the one where Mauve won. He was in the finals and did a cake based on caroling I believe.

Yep... you're so right! He had the big notes on the side of his cake. Thank you!

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, Dr. Acula said:

I don't get the tight time limits on these shows.  All it does is undercut the quality of the final product...  it all looks half-assed.

Supposedly, you have a room full of talented bakers, so give them adequate time to fully showcase their capabilities, and present a complete product.

The time limit, not only adds NO value, but it actually hinders the potential "wow" factor.  Give 'em time to do what they do.

To play devil's advocate, if they added time then the contestants would just be more ambitious and barely make those deadlines. Even in the ancient days of the Showdowns with Kerry Vincent as a judge (at least the cake ones), they would sometimes have two days for a cake or sugar showpiece and would face the same "we needed just 5 more minutes" situations.

I also always say they need more time, but then realize they would most likely fail anyway.

I think it's a no-win situation, really, if you are trying to do a competition and figuring out how much time to allow.

Edited by Eliza422
  • Love 3

I don’t know, Michelle just might be able to pull this off, except that the professional baker from Florida would have to have a really bad day like Jamal did. Carla always has a lot of positive remarks and constructive criticisms. So much better than Lorraine, who licks a crumb off a fork and says, “My problem with this is ...”. I did not care for Carla’s gum ball costume. My sinus problems lately make me think I looked like gum ball head, though. Can’t remember what Jamal made, but they looked like hard boiled eggs. Pretty much knew the other guy was going home. He said early on he didn’t like to decorate his stuff with blood and gore, but I guess he forgot it’s a Halloween themed show. I would not mind any of these bakers winning. Jamal should have his own cooking show with his son. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

To play devil's advocate, if they added time then the contestants would just be more ambitious and barely make those deadlines. Even in the ancient days of the Showdowns with Kerry Vincent as a judge (at least the cake ones), they would sometimes have two days for a cake or sugar showpiece and would face the same "we needed just 5 more minutes" situations.

I think there's a line between giving them so much time that they get overly ambitious and giving enough time so that the bakers can mix and bake an item and allow it enough time to cool so that they can decorate it without running into stupid issues that cause the finished product to look like crap. It shouldn't require the use of a blast chiller to make it possible to complete the challenge. I look at their cake challenges and they'll give them 90 minutes or something. If you figure at minimum 30 minutes for baking (and that's really pushing it), then 10-15 minutes to plan, prep, mix. That gives them less than 45 minutes to cool and decorate the cake. That's just dumb. Then add the twist in there somewhere and it can be even more limiting. I don't think an extra 15-30 minutes would cause someone to get that much more ambitious, but it would make for better finished products.

I think they love the drama created by such a limited time frame and couldn't care less about the finished product. Give Jamal an extra 15 minutes and his chocolate cake things are baked completely and all make it onto the plate. It would make the finished product better, but the oh noes! Jamal screwed up! moment wouldn't be there to create tension and that would make the show less interesting and exciting for them.

• Love 9

I think this is Lindsay's to lose. Anyone else detect a little sexual tension between her and John? Lol. Maybe that’s just my wishful thinking because otherwise this season is kind of boring for some reason. 

• Love 1
On 10/17/2018 at 9:44 AM, Dr. Acula said:

This is definitely not a show like The Great British Baking Show.  Even on that show where they know what they will be making and have a whole week to practice people run out of time.  I take this show for what it is - a game show.

• Love 3

I always enjoy all of the baking competition shows and if John was the host of all of them it wouldn't break my heart.

I agree it's Lindsey's to lose right now, but Jamal has had a couple of slips and now I expect him to come on strong. Michelle could very well be the spoiler.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Maya said:

I think this is Lindsay's to lose. Anyone else detect a little sexual tension between her and John? Lol. Maybe that’s just my wishful thinking because otherwise this season is kind of boring for some reason. 

No doubt there is flirting going on between John and Lyndsy.  Probably because I don’t care for her all that much, but I really don’t like the flirting — they flirt on every episode and she “spoke” to him in her talking head about “don’t tell him but I like him”.  John is married.  She is a little too self-satisfied for my particular preference.

I have enjoyed Michelle in past episodes but last night she was too cutesy and annoying.  If I were a baker/contestant in the same kitchen with her, I would have wanted to strangle her last night.  She seemed over-caffeinated or something.  Winning the first round amped her up just a little much.  And she’s got to stop the swaying.

Jamal was not on his game last night which concerns me about his winning.  Steven was REALLY not on his game.  Both guys faltered badly last night.  I was surprised Jamal was not in the bottom 2.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, 19Bee63 said:

I'm hoping that will inspire him to come roaring back and win the whole thing. 

I hope so! Lindsay is talented, but Jamal was killing it for awhile. I'm hoping this is the inevitable dip before he comes back strong.

Honestly, I didn't like much of what anyone did last night. The whole episode just seemed off somehow.

I still heart John. He's hilarious.

• Love 3

I thought Jamal deserved to be in the bottom simply because his plate looked like the Norwegian flag and not at all like a clown.  The red balls for noses he forgot would've helped a lot.

Lindsey's looked yummy but the skeleton was a phone in.  I liked the banana but it was not particularly spooky or clownish.

Michelle's looked the best.  I know she was going for flames with the pie shape but the way it was plated looked like a clown collar.  Still effective.  I wish she'd have cooked the pies longer so they were crisp, then she would've won.

Steven.  Curd too tart?  It must've been really puckery for those judges to not like it.  Also didn't look like a clown at all.  I lived the balloon animals though, they were a cute addition.

3 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I have enjoyed Michelle in past episodes but last night she was too cutesy and annoying.  If I were a baker/contestant in the same kitchen with her, I would have wanted to strangle her last night.  She seemed over-caffeinated or something.  Winning the first round amped her up just a little much.  And she’s got to stop the swaying.

Jamal was not on his game last night which concerns me about his winning.  Steven was REALLY not on his game.  Both guys faltered badly last night.  I was surprised Jamal was not in the bottom 2.

It may be my imagination... but it seemed like the other contestants were over Michelle and all her theatrics last night. All three could just barely muster a smile or reply. 

Seems like Jamal was tired or really spooked by the superstition associated with Tarot cards. Because he was really off his game. Hope he gets some sleep and comes back strong. I loved when Lorraine and Carla shot down negative Zack over Jamal's panna cotta.

Steven was the right one to be eliminated. He might be a great baker, but he seriously lacks imagination. Why in the world would you apply for a Halloween decorating show when you hate scary or gory designs. Do they just sign-up to be in any competition and don't find out what the holiday is until after they get picked? Because seriously... this show was not meant for him.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, 40Love said:

It may be my imagination... but it seemed like the other contestants were over Michelle and all her theatrics last night. All three could just barely muster a smile or reply. 

Not just you. I got that feeling as well. You could tell they were pissed that she won for taking 90 minutes to essentially make sugar cookies with decorations on them.

I don't really care for Lyndsy. She seems snobby.

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 10

YES! I spaced on the sugar cookie win. I was with Jamal on that win being lame. They all had issues with that challenge, and her cookies were nicely decorated, but really? I would have been annoyed at that too.

Just a weird episode.

• Love 7
On 11/1/2016 at 3:53 PM, Bobcatkitten said:

Michelle has to be one of the most annoying contestants ever. Who cares if you are the first to have your batter done or the first in the oven. So ridiculous and made me actively root against her. God she was arrogant.

I just googled "How annoying is Michelle on Halloween Baking Championship, Season !??!!" because, I literally cannot stand her cocky attitude anymore! I knew there had to be others out there who felt the same!

• Love 8
On 10/6/2015 at 12:17 PM, Darian said:

Yeah, I love all these holiday baking shows (and Halloween is my favorite holiday), but now, with Blais? Not nearly as enjoyable. Almost ruined. It's interesting, though, that the hosts of these shows usually aren't chefs. Those are the judges. He's really just wanting his mug all over the place.  

Richard Blais is a chef known around the world.  

6 hours ago, 40Love said:

Seems like Jamal was tired or really spooked by the superstition associated with Tarot cards. Because he was really off his game. Hope he gets some sleep and comes back strong. I loved when Lorraine and Carla shot down negative Zack over Jamal's panna cotta.

Steven was the right one to be eliminated. He might be a great baker, but he seriously lacks imagination. Why in the world would you apply for a Halloween decorating show when you hate scary or gory designs. Do they just sign-up to be in any competition and don't find out what the holiday is until after they get picked? Because seriously... this show was not meant for him.

I totally noticed a tone shift last night with the other contestants and Michelle.  They were NOT amused.

• Love 3

I have no opinion of Michelle but understand the first clown causing a scream , the second causing a gasp, but the third one? Come on!

Really? You were not expecting that?

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Little Sun said:

Richard Blais is a chef known around the world.  

Yes, and he was well-known even three years ago when I posted that. Even now, three years later, I still mostly avoid shows he is on, or less often suffer through his grating presence, as he does seem to want his mug all over the place. 

I also love Jon Henson as host. He's perfect in the role, funny and self-deprecating without being all ME ME ME. I would love to see him host more shows. 

• Love 6

I really hope Michelle doesn’t win this season. I think they like to push the ‘home bakers can do anything’ angle, but they have been grading her on a curve all season because she’s a home baker. Her flavors and techniques are simply not at the same level of Lyndsey and Jamal.

Also, on a shallow note, knock yourself out with whatever haircolor you want, lady, but please make sure your ponytails are at least vaguely even.

• Love 12

I really thought Lindsey was going to get dinged for ALL THAT FONDANT. I mean, you don't eat that! Same with Michelle-- that "rice cereal treat" covered in fondant clown looked creepy BUT THEY DIDN'T EAT IT.

Shows what I know.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I have no opinion of Michelle but understand the first clown causing a scream , the second causing a gasp, but the third one? Come on!

Really? You were not expecting that?

Probably should have been but I bet I would have jumped every time! I hate it when people or things jump out at me! I was surprised that no one complained about clowns because many people have a clown phobia. I really like Jamal but I am rooting for Lyndsy because she is from Sarasota(which btw, was the home of Ringling Bros for many, many years!) I lived in Sarasota for almost 50 years. Sarasota High School still has the Sailor(their nickname)Circus and have a huge circus tent on their campus. https://circusarts.org/programs/sailor-circus-academy/. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, rlc said:

I really hope Michelle doesn’t win this season. I think they like to push the ‘home bakers can do anything’ angle, but they have been grading her on a curve all season because she’s a home baker. Her flavors and techniques are simply not at the same level of Lyndsey and Jamal.

Also, on a shallow note, knock yourself out with whatever haircolor you want, lady, but please make sure your ponytails are at least vaguely even.

Yeah, the home baker thing is truly annoying. I was bummed Steve was eliminated, because I thought the only reason he was was so that Michelle could go into the finals. They have to have a home baker in the finals. And, yeah, her schtick has gotten even more tired and annoying than at the beginning of the competition. Lyndsey is so much more subtle and Jamal so much more personable, so their personalities are the ones with the most appeal to me. That and they appear to be vastly better bakers.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Probably should have been but I bet I would have jumped every time! I hate it when people or things jump out at me! I was surprised that no one complained about clowns because many people have a clown phobia. 

I have a clown phobia and would not have been as dramatic as Michelle. But different strokes and all.

On 10/24/2018 at 5:32 AM, Darian said:

Yes, and he was well-known even three years ago when I posted that. Even now, three years later, I still mostly avoid shows he is on, or less often suffer through his grating presence, as he does seem to want his mug all over the place. 

I also love Jon Henson as host. He's perfect in the role, funny and self-deprecating without being all ME ME ME. I would love to see him host more shows. 

Yes, agreed!

• Love 1

I'll second that.  I don't dislike Jonathan Bennett but he's silly rather than clever or witty and a little of that goes a long way.  Also, I can always tell that he's reciting lines.  I see that Jesse Palmer will be hosting the Christmas baking show again.  I don't really dislike him either but I was hoping John Henson would be hosting that show too.  I'd be happy if he hosted everything but Chopped.

• Love 6

Michelle gets on my last nerve. She's cute but her personality is tiring. I'll be here alone over in my corner of loving Lindsey. Didn't she say in the first episode that she wasn't used to doing scary? Her stuff always looks gory and great. I hope she wins.

• Love 9

This new format of assigning each baker a theme AND a flavor is disappointing. It really limits their opportunities for creativity. I would rather they stick with assigning a theme and letting the bakers choose what flavors they want to incorporate.

• Love 6

I don't like this new format either.  And there are just so many spooky or food puns I can take in a given period of time.  I don't like the judges very much any more.  Carla wears on my last nerve but once upon a time, she was one of my all time favs on Top Chef.  

Anyone know if there is a forum for Haunted Gingerbread Showdown?  I know it ended 10/28, but I would like to know if anyone shares my utter contempt and burning hate for contestant, Steve.  What an asshat he is!  I remember him from some other Food Network show & I disliked him immediately then.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

I don't like this new format either.  And there are just so many spooky or food puns I can take in a given period of time.  I don't like the judges very much any more.  Carla wears on my last nerve but once upon a time, she was one of my all time favs on Top Chef.  

Anyone know if there is a forum for Haunted Gingerbread Showdown?  I know it ended 10/28, but I would like to know if anyone shares my utter contempt and burning hate for contestant, Steve.  What an asshat he is!  I remember him from some other Food Network show & I disliked him immediately then.

Totally agree about Steve. He was a jerk start to finish.

• Love 4

I was hoping that the artist/architect would win.  He was amazingly talented.  I thought the criticism that his characters were too big was lame.  They were brilliant.  I also loved the library and the bookshelves.  Steve's lighthouse was very good but I didn't think it was better.  I liked the woman who competed but she didn't seem to be on the same level as the other two.

• Love 3

Yeah for Lindsey!  I thought Michelle's comment about Lindsey needing to fall when she assigned the theme was asshattery at it's finest.  And she very conspicuously did not congratulate Lindsey on her win.

I wanted Lindsey to win but I would have been fine with Jamal winning.  It's too bad he didn't have enough decorating time.

WTH was with Michelle's mermaid monstrosity?  I didn't get that at all.  It just looked like a mess and not like "visit from the dead'" in the slightest.

I'm getting bored with Carla and Lorraine.  Zac is a little goofy but I still like him.  They should change up the judges.

• Love 12

I hated whatever that was that Michelle created.   I liked Lindsay's (spelling?) cake, and I know it was better than Jamal's, but I loved what he did too.   It was so sweet to see Lindsay and Jamal celebrate her win, and boo on Michelle for standing there like a lump when Lindsay won.   Even though you're unhappy you didn't win, you still don't stand there looking like you were robbed, when you simply weren't the best theme cake on that day.     

On the Gingerbread show, I really think Steve tries too hard to be a character, but I think his cake was the best at representing the theme, and his domino effect worked.     I couldn't believe he got the gingerbread boat to float.       The woman's domino effect was a total fail, and that was so sad.     The other man's characters were fantastic, but his domino effect didn't work too well either, and the characters were the focus.   I would love to see Steve and Jorge collaborate on one of the special team event competitions they have on Food Network sometimes, because I think they both have great talent in different areas.         

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8

I stared at that mess Michelle made and listened to the explanation and I still couldn't figure out what I was looking at.  The judges' comments were way too kind.

I have to admit that Lindsey earned her victory but I just didn't like her and her flirty expressions.  I was hoping Jamal would win.  I hope good things come to him as a result of the exposure.  He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

I hope FN finds something else for John Henson in the near future.  I really enjoy watching him.  

• Love 13
5 hours ago, mlp said:

I stared at that mess Michelle made and listened to the explanation and I still couldn't figure out what I was looking at.  The judges' comments were way too kind.

I have to admit that Lindsey earned her victory but I just didn't like her and her flirty expressions.  I was hoping Jamal would win.  I hope good things come to him as a result of the exposure.  He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

I hope FN finds something else for John Henson in the near future.  I really enjoy watching him.  

John is the best thing about this show. He is genuinely witty, engaging and natural. Unlike the disaster that was the ventriloquist guy. He and his characters were creepy and not in a good way.

• Love 15

Although her pre-heat desserts sounded amazing, I had no idea what Michelle's cake was supposed to be, and her story didn't help.  I really liked Jamal's idea, but Lindsey's cake displayed a wider variety of decorating techniques. I could have been satisfied with either of them for the win, though. 

I'm not a baker, but can we please just ban fondant?  If you don't eat it, what is it doing on the plate?  

• Love 13
7 hours ago, mlp said:

Jake said "the cake looks good" ?????????

• Love 2

I rooted for Jamal all season but he really started to fade in the end.  He is very talented and seems very sweet, so I hope to see more of him on FN.   Lindsey was okay, better than Michelle, who was super annoying at the end.   Not annoying as Erin, the most annoying FN Baking Championship contestant ever, IMO, but Michelle was getting up there.

Edited by penbrat
  • Love 6