Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Halloween Baking Championship

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, cherbitrary said:

Mozart Zac reminded me of an actress, but I couldn't figure out who & I felt mean for thinking it.

 

 Glenn Close, circa Air Force One.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

Henson was on fire last episode.  I loved how he decided he was scared of Lyndsy, complete with "if I'm murdered Lyndsy did it."  Also liked him saying Cicely had "resting chef face."

 

Hehe... that was so funny! Cicely does seem to have a "I'm ticked off about something" face. She did say in the intro that she has a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde personality. 

17 hours ago, cherbitrary said:

What happened to his scarecrow in the 2nd challenge? I saw him talking about pouring chocolate over ice, but missed what happened between that and his final product.

From what I saw... it was too top heavy to stand up on its own. Then it started to melt and he had nothing but the head. Not sure what happened to the head because all he ended up with was the buttercream thingy. I'm just glad he wasn't cut. I'd like to see what else he can make.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Is it fair to say that John Henson is the best host this show has had?  I loved him when he was on Talk Soup and I'm happy to have him back in some capacity.

I know I already said this but hubby and I were commenting how wild it is that it was someone's JOB to cast these people.  Specifically thinking about Cicely because she seems to have no personality or sense of humor whatsoever (and isn't a particularly amazing baker) so, like... why?  If it were just a random assortment of bakers, ok, but these people were intentionally put on TV. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, ruffy666 said:

Specifically thinking about Cicely because she seems to have no personality or sense of humor whatsoever (and isn't a particularly amazing baker) so, like... why?

Not only no personality, but she looks PISSED OFF to even be on the show. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

Is it fair to say that John Henson is the best host this show has had?  I loved him when he was on Talk Soup and I'm happy to have him back in some capacity.

I know I already said this but hubby and I were commenting how wild it is that it was someone's JOB to cast these people.  Specifically thinking about Cicely because she seems to have no personality or sense of humor whatsoever (and isn't a particularly amazing baker) so, like... why?  If it were just a random assortment of bakers, ok, but these people were intentionally put on TV. 

You are right! John is such a great host and me makes me LOL. I cringe when I see reruns of old seasons with that ventriloquist host. Ugh. That was painful. I had to mute most of the episodes when he was on. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

When Cicely made her first week introduction, she alluded that she was moody and temperamental and that set the tone for the day in her kitchen. No fun and what a nightmare to work with/for.  That's a new stereotype personality that FN hasn't tried out yet. Otherwise, they've hit all the notes (again). Hipsters, gay man,, black man, older man or woman, know-it-all annoying woman, mommy, home baker with an axe to grind, then some middle of the road types thrown in. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Halloween baking championship is my least favorite out of all the baking championships. Can’t wait for the fall baking championship. I love the judging combo of Duff, Lorraine, and Nancy. I absolutely cannot stand Zac. Does anyone remember him from that Top Chef spin-off, Top Desserts? He was such an awful human being on that show, as was everyone on that show, which is why it never got a second season. Anyway, i absolutely hated him on that show and i can’t believe he still gets work on tv.  And Zac, stop stealing lines from Rupaul’s Drag Race(one of my favorite shows), by calling the desserts an “eleganza extravaganza”. Ugh, can’t stand him. And i love how Michelle and Lorraine shut him down with the “it’s not fondant”. He had nothing to say after that. Look, i hate fondant too, but if i expect bakers on a Halloween baking show to make scarecrows, etc, u have to expect a little fondant Zac.  All of these contestants are terrible! Can’t stand Lyndsays (however u spell it) baby voice. And the young girl who thought bundt cake were ugly, wow, casting picked some real winners this season. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, Inga said:

He was such an awful human being on that show, as was everyone on that show, which is why it never got a second season. 

Actually, I think it never got a second season because not only did one of the baketestants get caught with child porn, and one of the others had a mental breakdown ("Red hots are for my Mommy!") but one of the hosts was Johnny Iuzzini.  Basically a big collection of "nope" right there.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

Actually, I think it never got a second season because not only did one of the baketestants get caught with child porn, and one of the others had a mental breakdown ("Red hots are for my Mommy!") but one of the hosts was Johnny Iuzzini.  Basically a big collection of "nope" right there.

Yes! It was actually a finalist who was caught with the child porn. And he had a young daughter. I mean, everyone on that show was so awful. It did have 2 seasons, unbelievably 

Edited by Inga · Reason: He was a finalist, not winner

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

("Red hots are for my Mommy!")

Oh yeah, I tried watching that show but "weak sauce" guy just ruined it for me. Didn't watch after that.

This season is okay and John is growing on me leaps and bounds but can we get some people who actually like Halloween stuff to be on the Halloween show? Seriously? A chainsaw and you think of sawing trees? I mean she threw blood around the second time, but it just looked messy to me.

Ugh - that glasses guy. So glad he went home. I think he should have gone home the first show, you could tell he wasn't as good as the others. Also I detected some diva-ness I didn't like, like when he said Jamal chose vanilla because it was safe and boring. Dude, you can't talk.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The guy with the glasses was a joke.  I'm nowhere near the level of these home Bakers and I could've made more realistic snakes and worms.  So, glad he's gone.  And his glasses were so "extra", as the hip kids say, they make him look desperate for attention.

I call bs on so many Bakers not knowing what a Bundt cake is.  That's bull.  Have they never been to any potluck, anywhere, at any time?  They've never walked through the bakery department of a grocery store?   They've never seen a Bundt pan and wondered enough to Google a recipe for it?  No way.  Professional curiosity should've made them at least interested in what kind of dessert has a whole pan named for it.

The dude who did the doll cream puff?  Really?  That's the best you could come up with?  If I were a judge, I'd be side eyeing him the rest of the competition for that failure.

Zach was an ass.  Drop the attitude, hon, you're the freaking judge.  "Can I finish?". Uh, NO.  Not if you are so off base in what you're saying.  The lady specifically used marzipan so as not to get reemed out by you and yet, YOU STILL REEMED HER OUT BECAUSE YOU ARE A TOTAL ASS WHO DOESN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!  He just wanted so bad to give his little speech about fondant, he didn't even bother to see if the claw was fondant first.  What a jerk.  I also think he may a have touch if "little man's syndrome" and needs to be big and bad to make himself feel more important.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/5/2018 at 12:06 AM, Destiny74 said:

The dude who did the doll cream puff?  Really?  That's the best you could come up with?

When I saw that, all I could think of was Scrump from "Lilo & Stitch" -- which would have been totally appropriate if he'd actually sold it. Instead, it was just sad.

Not much else to say this week that hasn't already been said. Andrew definitely deserved to go, but I cringed a little when the judges started actually praising his scarecrow as abstract or whatever. I felt like they were making an excuse to the viewers about why they were keeping him, and it was painful. Between that and the airing of Zac's splintered fondant soapbox, the judges did not acquit themselves well this week.

Edited by dewelar · Reason: Fix brain fart

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/4/2018 at 11:50 AM, Rammchick said:

Actually, I think it never got a second season because not only did one of the baketestants get caught with child porn, and one of the others had a mental breakdown ("Red hots are for my Mommy!") but one of the hosts was Johnny Iuzzini.  Basically a big collection of "nope" right there.

I was not a fan of Zac Young on that season of Top Chef: Just Desserts but the show did, in fact, have a second season despite the challenges of its first season. The winner was Chris Hamner.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I was not a fan of Zac Young on that season of Top Chef: Just Desserts but the show did, in fact, have a second season despite the challenges of its first season. The winner was Chris Hamner.

Good to know.  I must've missed it because I definitely don't remember it.  Then again, I'm lucky I can remember what I eat for breakfast most days!

Share this post


Link to post

The second season of Top Chef: Just Desserts simply wasn't as good as the first season, and I think even if they didn't have the criminal conviction, and mental breakdown of another contestant, the show had run it's course.  

Zac Young really seems to know his stuff on this show, but it's hard to standout next to Carla, and Lorraine since they're such huge personalities, and often their costumes and makeup are better than his.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think the home baker with pink hair does some impressive things.  That long, bloody bone was cool, although it didn't read "crazy house" to me.  Cicely didn't seem very happy and she perspired a lot.  Glad to see her gone.  The know-it-all woman talks a big talk but always seem to fall short.  That jack-o-lantern pie top was really something.  He just needed more time for it to bake.  Virgin Island guy for the win.  As an aside, I would like to have a job just once in my life where I would be professionally costumed and made-up for Halloween and have to judge chocolate cakes.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I think the home baker with pink hair does some impressive things.  That long, bloody bone was cool, although it didn't read "crazy house" to me.  Cicely didn't seem very happy and she perspired a lot.  Glad to see her gone.  The know-it-all woman talks a big talk but always seem to fall short.  That jack-o-lantern pie top was really something.  He just needed more time for it to bake.  Virgin Island guy for the win.  As an aside, I would like to have a job just once in my life where I would be professionally costumed and made-up for Halloween and have to judge chocolate cakes.

I did not realise it till the moment but you just described my dream job.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, Inga said:

Halloween baking championship is my least favorite out of all the baking championships. Can’t wait for the fall baking championship. I love the judging combo of Duff, Lorraine, and Nancy. I absolutely cannot stand Zac. Does anyone remember him from that Top Chef spin-off, Top Desserts? He was such an awful human being on that show, as was everyone on that show, which is why it never got a second season. Anyway, i absolutely hated him on that show and i can’t believe he still gets work on tv.  And Zac, stop stealing lines from Rupaul’s Drag Race(one of my favorite shows), by calling the desserts an “eleganza extravaganza”. Ugh, can’t stand him. And i love how Michelle and Lorraine shut him down with the “it’s not fondant”. He had nothing to say after that. Look, i hate fondant too, but if i expect bakers on a Halloween baking show to make scarecrows, etc, u have to expect a little fondant Zac.  All of these contestants are terrible! Can’t stand Lyndsays (however u spell it) baby voice. And the young girl who thought bundt cake were ugly, wow, casting picked some real winners this season. 

I love all the championship shows, but I have to say, the Spring one is my least favorite.  As for Zac, I also cannot stand him.  I watched him on Top Desserts and I hated him then.  He's just too mean spirited.  I'm glad that Lorraine and Carla stopped him from ranting and being insulting re: the "it's not fondant". 

I miss Ron Ben Israel too.  I do love Carla though and she has to stay with the show permanently.  LOL. 

Thinking maybe I ought to audition for this show.  Hmmm. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Biosynth said:

Thinking maybe I ought to audition for this show.  Hmmm. 

Oh I know I could make worms and snakes out of fondant.  When I was a child I made an ashtray for my nonsmoking parents out of clay by stacking clay "snakes" on top of each other on a flat base, so I have hidden talents.  I'm done with the kids baking shows.  Why in the world do they keep inviting Valerie Bertinelli back as a judge of anything?  She talks about being raised in an Italian family as if that was the only requirement to know how to cook or bake.  If I were a contestant, I wouldn't last long because I'm pretty focused when I'm tasked with a challenge.  I don't think you get on these shows unless you show a certain amount of perkiness.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Biosynth said:

I'm glad that Lorraine and Carla stopped him from ranting and being insulting re: the "it's not fondant". 

I kind of wish they had let him go on and on about fondant for as long as possible, and when he was done they could just coolly reply, “That’s not fondant.” Jackass. 

Loved last night’s  jack o lantern pie top. Also loved how the one guy picked gravedigger even though he didn’t know what it was. He’s my favorite!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Maya said:

Also loved how the one guy picked gravedigger even though he didn’t know what it was. He’s my favorite!

He's my favorite too and I'm glad he got top honors for both challenges.  I was worried last epi when he was in the bottom. 

 

3 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

 

I think the home baker with pink hair does some impressive things. 

 

She may do some impressive baking, but the unkind part of me doesn't like her because I feel like she is trying too hard to be 'freaky' or 'wacky.'  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

She may do some impressive baking, but the unkind part of me doesn't like her because I feel like she is trying too hard to be 'freaky' or 'wacky.'  

I can't stand her over-the-top emoting and faces. She did make a very pretty head though.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I actually like Michelle (pink hair) - probably because I've known people like her and even though they seem over-the-top that's just who they are. Also she's extremely happy to be here. Cicely was kind of dull and it was definitely her time to go but she made me fall in love with John so there's that.

I think I want Michelle or Jamal to win.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, CherZ said:

I actually like Michelle (pink hair) - probably because I've known people like her and even though they seem over-the-top that's just who they are. Also she's extremely happy to be here. Cicely was kind of dull and it was definitely her time to go but she made me fall in love with John so there's that.

I think I want Michelle or Jamal to win.

I'm with you -- usually I'd think Michelle is "super-cutesy/I'm so freaky/trying a little too hard" but I like her a lot!  She is a very, very talented baker and seems warm and loving to the other bakers.  She's just a large personality but seems to have a great heart.  When she gets critiques, she listens intently and respectfully.  I'm a fan.

Jamal is a delight and I root for him.  Stephen is another fave but I'm doubtful that he wins the whole thing. 

Lindsay is just so-so for me.  She's a talent but her voice and uptalk is a major UGH for me.

Brenda can go away anytime.

Will not miss Cicely and her zero sense of humor.  Her talent level was below the others.  She could bake a very delicious cake which she did over and over.  The decorating and creativity was below-par.

Love, love, love Jon Henson.  I like that he is so observant with the bakers and does not coddle them when they're struggling.  His humor is right up my alley and he cracked me up with his efforts to banter with Cicely. 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Originally I was rooting for Lyndsy(strange spelling!) because she is from Sarasota where I lived forever but now I am rooting for Jamal...he is great and he is from Florida. His desserts have been pretty amazing and his son is a real cutie! I did love the pumpkin pie...it was beautiful just wish the top crust had been better.

Yesterday I watched the Season 1 marathon...boy, where have all the good bakers gone? The losers on that season were so much better than the contestants are this year. After seeing the season, I remember Sherry Yard and I always love Ron Ben Israel. The judging was good and the contestants were pretty amazing...wish we could have some more talented folks like they were!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

MerBearHou - I could have written your post above - agree with all of it.  

When I first saw Michelle, I fully expected to dislike a 40-something woman (with a teenage son) trying to look hip with the goofy hair but I actually like her.  She's a little much but I think she's just being herself as opposed to putting on an act for TV so I don't mind her.  I do think her look is ridiculous for someone her age though.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I gotta think they spread themselves a little thin by having a bunch of different baking championships throughout the year.  So now they try to save the better talent for the Holiday Baking Championship (or maybe Next Great Baker) and consider the Halloween series to be strictly B-team.  

On a related note, did anyone catch Halloween Cake-Off?  Didn't even know that was a thing.  I only caught the first few minutes but there were a bunch of repeat contestants from other shows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

did anyone catch Halloween Cake-Off?  

I enjoyed it.  I remember the attractive couple from a special a few years ago about a national gingerbread competition.  She's done some amazing displays.  I'm still trying to recall where I've seen David before.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, mlp said:

I enjoyed it.  I remember the attractive couple from a special a few years ago about a national gingerbread competition.  She's done some amazing displays.  I'm still trying to recall where I've seen David before.

The Cake-Off was the one hosted by Duff and the cakes had something revealed in the cake and they had to incorporate an action to reveal the surprise, i.e., like a werewolf head popped out of a trick or treater’s stomach and another one had glass pumpkins which shattered to reveal other pumpkins. I think that was a one episode challenge. I saw the married “gingerbread” couple on the Haunted Gingerbread Showdown, not on the Cake Off, other familiar faces are on it. I think the next episode is the last and the winner will be revealed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Just checked for Cake-off on OnDemand and not there.  :(

I have DirecTV and it says Halloween Cake-Off is on channel 1231. Says it’ll be there until October 12.

Edited by Spunkygal

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I have Comcast. Apparently, I had to say in my search engine "Halloween Cake-off" and no just "Cake-off."

 

Thanks.

And just FYI, the other show is Haunted Gingerbread Showdown. It’s a two episode competition with familiar faces, too.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

And just FYI, the other show is Haunted Gingerbread Showdown. It’s a two episode competition with familiar faces, too.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

The Cake-Off was the one hosted by Duff and the cakes had something revealed in the cake and they had to incorporate an action to reveal the surprise, i.e., like a werewolf head popped out of a trick or treater’s stomach and another one had glass pumpkins which shattered to reveal other pumpkins. I think that was a one episode challenge. I saw the married “gingerbread” couple on the Haunted Gingerbread Showdown, not on the Cake Off, other familiar faces are on it. I think the next episode is the last and the winner will be revealed.

You're right.  I've watched so many baking shows lately that I got the names mixed up.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, mlp said:

  I'm still trying to recall where I've seen David before.

Pretty sure he was on one of the holiday baking competitions... don't remember which one. He was sent packing in the middle of the competition.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/11/2018 at 12:23 PM, 40Love said:

Pretty sure he was on one of the holiday baking competitions... don't remember which one. He was sent packing in the middle of the competition.

He was in the holiday baking championship. I think it was season 2 the one where Mauve won. He was in the finals and did a cake based on caroling I believe.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Shallow and mean time-If you have pink hair, in double pony tails, you need to have them even, not one sideways, and straight out, and the other pointing at a 45 degree angle higher.     

I wish they would get rid of the surprise ingredients, and just let the contestants bake and decorate.  

I don't see what Michelle's cake decorations had to do with a robot.   

Brenda deserved to go, with no taste of the rosewater, and the ultimate sin of dry cake.  I was sorry to see her go, but I really am glad Jamal stayed.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Poor Jamal.  I can imagine his frustration with having to use lavender.  He is clearly very talented but he was stuck between using enough for the judges to taste and using too much.  Personally, I don't think there is any ideal amount of floral flavoring for food.  Yuck.  

I was quite happy to see the last of Brenda and I hope Lynsey (or however she spells it) goes next.  She always looks like she's flirting with everyone including the cameraman.  I like Michelle OK but I'm not sure what she was crying about.  It came across as "I can't take criticism."  

I didn't care for any of the costumes this week.  Zac looked ridiculous (and knew it) and Lorraine looked dead.  I don't know what Carla was supposed to be but I was sort of amazed that she was able to hold her eyes open with those thick fake lashes.  

Love John Henson.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, mlp said:

I don't know what Carla was supposed to be but I was sort of amazed that she was able to hold her eyes open with those thick fake lashes. 

They called her a "spirit animal."  I didn't like any of the costumes this week. Zac's was awful. 

 

10 hours ago, mlp said:

Personally, I don't think there is any ideal amount of floral flavoring for food. 

It's likely I've never had an "ideal amount," but anytime I've had floral flavoring it was icky. It's always like licking soap. 

14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't see what Michelle's cake decorations had to do with a robot. 

There appeared to be a gum paste (or modelling chocolate or whatever) bolt on top of the cake that I presume was to represent the robot. 

It's always interesting to me how the bakers use the judge when given the extra hands of a judge. I don't know that I've ever seen one use the judge super successfully.  (Jamal did to a degree by getting him to do the flowers, but could he have used him better? I don't know...) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Zac is bothering me this season. He always seems like he is in a bad mood and ready to go off on the contestants. I didn’t really like any of the cakes but they didn’t have enough time to do better. I thought the robot skeleton cake looked like an alien and the winning cake didn’t look Halloween like at all.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I think Zac is the designated villain this season for this show.     I hated his cranky cupcake costume, but his costumes are never as good as the other judges.   Maybe he can't wear the thicker makeup, or doesn't want to sit for hours in the makeup chair, the way Carla and Lorraine have to.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Maybe he can't wear the thicker makeup, or doesn't want to sit for hours in the makeup chair, the way Carla and Lorraine have to.  

One thing I wondered-- wasn't he making roses (sans costume or makeup) just a little while before the cakes were done? It seems like there would have been very little time for him to get made up (at least this episode).

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I'm always suspicious about the time lines on these shows.    I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the two competition sessions are back to back, with a short judging session, and then a lunch break with makeup time for the judges and John, and then the final judging session in the afternoon.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I was glad they didn't cut Jamal - I mean lavender in chocolate? That couldn't have worked. I felt bad for Zac - I understand they probably had to give him a simple costume, because he was helping out during the second challenge but man, that cupcake outfit was BRUTAL.

I think Lindsey is very talented but I just don't like her personally. Something not quite genuine about her. However, she's really good.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I think Lindsey is very talented but I just don't like her personally. Something not quite genuine about her.

That's it exactly.  She clearly knows what she's doing but I don't find her and her self-satisfied smile likable at all.  Michelle seems less talented and I think her hair color and style look ridiculous on a 40+ woman but she comes across as a fundamentally nice person so I like her much better.  I hope Jamal wins.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×