Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Rugby

Including all national and international leagues, unions, and all forms in which the game is played (e.g. Rugby sevens).

Rugby World Cup is going on now. It's been tumultuous for a couple of teams so share your thoughts here... if anyone of you are actually interested in rugby.

is the Rugby that's played in Australia's National Rugby League (NRL) different than the Rugby played at the World Cup?

I ask because I understand that the NRL's Grand Final was last weekend, yet there's also a team from Australia playing in the Rugby World Cup at the same time.  Which made me wonder if the NRL is missing some of it's best players due to the World Cup, or if it's different rugby?

is the Rugby that's played in Australia's National Rugby League (NRL) different than the Rugby played at the World Cup?

Yes, they are different types of rugby being played. NRL is Rugby League while World Cup is Rugby Union.

I like Rugby. I found it by accident on Universal.  I really like 7's. The action never stops.  I just don't know a lot about it.  I do like the commercials explaining rugby terms.   They are cute.

Back into lurk mode. 

• Like 2

Well I'm just glad after the humiliating defeat against Japan our guys have hit back against Samoa, Scotland and USA to finish top of our group in the Cup. I am not an avid rugby fan (more of a cricket, tennis and athletics girl myself) but when it's world cup time I love to watch our bokke give it their all.

I'm also quite liking Ireland this year. They are playing excellent rugby. But the smart money has to be on the All Blacks or the Wallabies at this point in time.

(Oh and I pity the poor hosts. Never nice to fall out of contention during the first round when you are hosting. But good on Wales for keeping the hopes alive...)

A new professional rugby league is being formed in the US.  I don't think I've seen a name for the league yet, and so far only one team has been announced, in Sacramento, with no name.

I hope all you new rugby fans from Stateside managed to watch what might well have been the match of the century (so far) in Chicago last night between Ireland and New Zealand.

No spoilers in case anyone will hunt for a replay, or recorded it to watch later.

ETA: Both these videos are from World Rugby's official youtube channel, so no laws being broken.

Highlights here:

Or the full match here:

Edited by Which Tyler

On 11/21/2015 at 7:32 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

A new professional rugby league is being formed in the US.  I don't think I've seen a name for the league yet, and so far only one team has been announced, in Sacramento, with no name.

On 12/18/2015 at 0:49 PM, ketchuplover said:

NRA  National Rugby Association

Not the best initials for a sports league in the US.

Go Ireland! So England ends their run tied with the All Blacks for the record.

Nothing against England particularly, but with St. Patrick's Day yesterday and now this, it's a good week to be (somewhat) Irish. LOL