Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E06: Most Memorable Year

• Start Topic

Really Alek?  You were in a war and then you were in a terrorist attack. These are not good things.  And not things to be celebrated.

I don't see him celebrating any of that, not in any of the interviews he's had on this show. I've seen him talking about it with gravity. Maybe he didn't word his statement well yesterday, but I don't think any of his actions thus far have glorified war or his involvement in that terrorist attack. I think he was talking more about how everything that's happened since has been a strange whirlwind that caused him to postpone going back to school. If anything, I feel like he is both relieved / amazed that he happened to escape being part of that campus attack, while also deeply regretting that he wasn't there, to be there for people and maybe help more.

I think he's behaved honorably so far, and I think this latest attack has shown him even more how silly this dance competition is in comparison to the things that really matter to him. I think he knew it before he even started, but went along good-naturedly because it seemed fun and something he'd never done before or would never get the chance to do otherwise, all the while kind of feeling like it's not really his scene and he really doesn't feel like he belongs there. And now it's in even starker reality for him. 

I felt more for Alek in watching his interview last night than I have all season, because I think at this point he would be very much okay if he didn't make it to the end, because he'd rather be back home where he can give people support.

• Love 22

On the other hand, the (evil) cynical side of me thought "Wow, first the train you're on is attacked by a crazed gunman, then the school you attended is attacked by a crazed gunman. Is it something about you?"

My first thought was of Final Destination. Like, someone really wants this guy dead. I know I'd be freaked out if survived a terrorist attack and then a gunman shot up the school I was supposed to be at.

Did Alek really say this in his intro package?

"My most memorable year is 2015. It's by far the best year I've had."  Then he talks about being deployed in Afghanistan and being on DWTS and "all the crazy things that have happened in between" and how going back to college got thrown out of the window because he's famous now and "and all the accolades and awards I've received and the year's not even over yet so it's by far the best year of my life."

Really Alek?  You were in a war and then you were in a terrorist attack. These are not good things.  And not things to be celebrated. Yes, we can applaud your heroism, and we do, but a true hero quietly walks away.  A true hero doesn't celebrate a tragedy as being one of the best things to ever happen to him.

Let's not forget what the underlying reason was for the actions that Alek and his friends took.  A band of vicious mass murderers attempted to kill a trainload (or more) of people.  

Obviously YMMV, and all that junk, but this actually makes sense to me. Alek seems like the kind of person who thrives on helping people (I don't know him - just basing this on interviews that I've seen and articles that I've read). Which is likely why he joined the army, and was attending college to become a police officer (and from what he's said, this is still his plan for the future), So I'm sure that serving in Afghanistan was a huge honor for him. And I'm sure it felt pretty damn good for him to see his family and friends when he returned from there as well. 

As for the train attack, that was in the middle of a Europe vacation, which was probably pretty amazing for him. And the terrorism attempt itself is awful. For sure not something to be celebrated...however, thanks to the incredible bravery of himself, Spencer, Anthony, and Chris Norman, that act of terrorism did NOT occur. A few people got injured which is awful, and I'm sure it caused emotional trauma for some people (understandably), but no one died. That, to me, is something that should be celebrated. He had a hand in stopping an act that could've killed many innocent people. He seems very humbled and appreciative of all the accolades/awards/honors being bestowed. But I don't it's because he's all "famous" now, Again, I think he truly takes pride in helping people. So for the reasons above, and maybe even more (don't forget that that package was edited to fit with the show...perhaps he has other reasons as to why he would call 2015 the best year of his life), I can completely understand why he would call 2015 the best year of his life. I will likely never accomplish in my entire life what he has managed to accomplish in less than a year. 

Just to keep this somewhat on topic, i think I hopped in a time machine last night, and went back to when I was 13, because I was freaking out during Nick's performance. That was some damn fine nostalgia!! 

Not at all surprised that Bindi's performance got the pimp spot and the first 10 of the season, but to me, it was warranted. That dance was stunning, and I (along with many other people, I'm sure) cried watching it. 

I would not be mad if Paula went home next elimination. Just saying.

• Love 19
Just to keep this somewhat on topic, i think I hopped in a time machine last night, and went back to when I was 13, because I was freaking out during Nick's performance. That was some damn fine nostalgia!!

I had the same thing happen to me! I was excited to see Nick, and then AJ shows up. But the kicker for me was seeing Trevor from OTown. He was the first celebrity I ever met, and I'm pretty sure we are soulmates. So, I caught myself saying "I love boybands!" after Nick finished. 

I'm a grown woman. But I love 90's boybands. Seeing them all together was sensory overload. So happy it happened.

• Love 6

I had the same thing happen to me! I was excited to see Nick, and then AJ shows up. But the kicker for me was seeing Trevor from OTown. He was the first celebrity I ever met, and I'm pretty sure we are soulmates. So, I caught myself saying "I love boybands!" after Nick finished. 

I'm a grown woman. But I love 90's boybands. Seeing them all together was sensory overload. So happy it happened.

And Jacob and Erik from O-Town! If only Dan was there...and how could we forget Jeff from 98 Degrees. I too am a grown woman. But 90's boybands are still my jam!!

• Love 1

My issue with Nick's "Jazz" dance is that the whole feel of it (BSB song, crowd, dance style) felt more like it would've worked better as a freestyle and would've garnered him all 10's. It was just basic boy band/music video choreo that didn't feel horribly inventive and now if they try another BSB inspired dance for the freestyle, it'll seem repetitive.

• Love 3

Don't the "memorable year" theme weeks usually require the celebs to pick a song from that year? Or was that a fever dream I had? I swear in other years it has seemed more cohesive that way. This time few of the dances and few of the songs really had any connection to the year they chose.

I thought the song had to be from that year, too!  What this really ended up being was "Talk about a sad memory, then dance to any song you want."

• Love 1

LOL at some of y'all who claim you knew Allison was pregnant "a few months ago." Right, when she had just missed her period, you knew she was pregnant. She probably didn't even know yet. If Allison is "obviously showing," there is no hope for the rest of us.

I feel I feel this was directed at me. Why the attitude?  I stated what I thought.  It is quite possible she knew she was pregnant 2 months ago.  She is four months now.  I had a hunch, I even said it to a friend (we were SYTYCD fans). I have a second sense about this in real life.   (And no I don't go up to the woman and ask if she is pregnant.) Now, I can't guess the sex of the baby, I leave that to my friend Roxie, who is able to call that one, most of the time.

Edited by dirtydi
  • Love 2

I have no idea if it's accurate to what's considered jazz dance, I usually think of Bob Fosse. That kind of a detailed, almost gravity-defying body positions, angles and the most minute movements down to the simplest flick of a finger. 

Here's my most favorite routine of his. So powerful (and that song lifts me up and make want to dance even when I've had the crappiest day).

I saw this show on Broadway and the dancing was awesome. Thanks for letting me revisit this awesome show. One other number from "Fosse" that exemplifies Jazz is "Steam Heat". Love this number......

https://youtu.be/UkqW___UGIw?list=RDUkqW___UGIw

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 2

My issue with Nick's "Jazz" dance is that the whole feel of it (BSB song, crowd, dance style) felt more like it would've worked better as a freestyle and would've garnered him all 10's. It was just basic boy band/music video choreo that didn't feel horribly inventive and now if they try another BSB inspired dance for the freestyle, it'll seem repetitive.

ITA, Sharna's "choreography" was very lacking on this one.

I was underwhelmed by Nicks dance. But I generally feel that way about Sharnas choreography. And I'm over her tacky look. That hair and her overall look. She could be so gorgeous.

I am over Alexa. Getting all offended by Alfonso. That girl has issues.,but I was taken aback by her hubby being all...my best year was meeting my wife and she was all...my best year was Spykids! Wee! Lol

I am so relieved that Gary is gone. He made me uncomfortable. And frankly that bit at the end refusing to shut up, he knows better brain damage or not. Rude

Speaking of relieved...no Alison next year! Woohoo! She's awful on this show. But her hubby can stay.

• Love 1

I would really like to see Mark's dance done again with a pro. I really, really liked it; although, he could have dropped the umbrella a little earlier.

I think Alexa and Tamar have opposite problems. Alexa has good connection with Mark during the dances but then, to me, kind of forgets about him the rest of the time. She basically ran up the stairs away from him last night. They don't seem to mesh really well - on both sides - outside of the dance. Mark seems kind of defeated. I had Alexa as a surprise win this season because I thought she'd be into the show and because Mark not only deserves it for what he's done in the past but that he'd earn it this season, too. With their odd partnership, I think she'll be out before the finals even. On the other hand, I think Tamar really likes and gets along with Val outside of the dances but hasn't figured out how to perform with a partner. I think if she works on her facial expressions, she'd resonate better. Unlike Alexa, I think Tamar still has a shot at the finals, but she needs to get the face down quickly.

I very much dislike real contemporary but don't mind it, sparingly, on this show. This episode shows how difficult scoring the contemporary/jazz is compared to the ballroom and latin dances. Tamar did a lot of traditional dancing and she got 9s. Alek did a better than average but not great job at what looked like a very content-rich Paso. Nick did a jazz routine that was very boy band-ish and right in his wheelhouse. There wasn't a lot of technical dancing in it and he got 9s. Bindi did a contemporary with less dancing (but better executed) in it than Hayes did in his but got a 10. Bindi had some really pretty moments in her dance, but I don't think it was nearly as difficult as Tamar's (who by all accounts danced well) or Alek's (who wasn't great but was good). Nick's seemed to be more of a solo than a partner dance, but that didn't matter because it was jazz. I try not to put much stock in the judging since it's so inconsistent, but how do you compare all these wildly different styles?

I thought this episode showed Bindi knows her story line on the show and is willing to go along with it, even if that means exaggerating her reactions. It all seemed calculated to me and not just by the producers either. I thought she was authentic (or as authentic as someone who grew up in public can be) in the other episodes, so I'm hoping she goes back to that now that this week, and hopefully her father story line, is over. I do wish they'd put her in more flattering costumes. I don't understand why they can't find a top that fits and flatters her. She's bigger on top than most younger contestants but the burger model had flattering tops in her couple episodes. Can't they adapt one of those? 

Strangely, I thought they kind of buried Nick's dance. I was never a boyband fan, but that should have been a bigger moment, I think. I feel like it should have felt more like a big production. It would have been a great start to the show, fun and energetic. I probably would have opened with Bindi to tug at the heartstrings right away, really grabbing the audience, and saved Nick and his 300 fans on the floor for last to end the show with a big production number. 

I got a good laugh out of the fact that I know as much cha cha as Allison, apparently. I recognized the one New Yorker they did from what I learned during last season's live streams. I wish they'd done the live rehearsals again. I still find Andy really likeable but figure he won't last much longer.

I still don't think anyone's pulled away from the pack. No one's really had a breakout dance, yet. Isn't there usually someone who's had a real moment by now?

Edited by kayma
  • Love 1

I am re-watching last night's show and Carlos and Witney's waltz was stunning!  It was one of the highlights of the night, along with Alexa and Mark, and Alek and Lindsey.  Following closely was Hayes and Emma.  I also enjoyed seeing Miss Paula!

Low points were Sharna/Nick, Golden Boy/Bindi and Tamar/Val.  Middle of the pack was Andy.  Being with Allison just kind of makes me forget him most of the time.  And thank heavens Gary is gone.  

I thought the song had to be from that year, too!  What this really ended up being was "Talk about a sad memory, then dance to any song you want."

I think their standard practice is to talk about their memory from whatever year, and then they choose a song that they think expresses that moment the most.

Like last year with Noah and his memorable year being when he lost his arm and leg, and then (from what I recall) his dance was quite American-pride in feel.

Or how Bethany Mota's was all about her struggles with bullying and not liking herself, and they danced to Try ("you don't have to try so hard, you don't have to bend until you break..."), which I found very moving.

Or Carlos's song choice this week, which apparently was one of the first songs sung in church the week he first attended, and because it spoke to him in a time of struggle.

Sometimes it's not quite right (like Bindi's song choice), but I don't usually mind if it's close enough in sentiment or if I get what I think they were thinking when they made the choice. When I heard them say "Every Breath You Take," I thought, oh noooo, that's not a good one, Bindi. But I didn't end up minding because 1) they sang the song in a softer-edged way, and 2) I get the whole "I'll be watching you" as "Your dad is always going to be with you in your heart, no matter what." 

For the people who have watched the show more regularly than I have over the years, are there songs you remember working really well and songs you remember were just so very wrong for the "memorable year" moment the star was trying to express?

• Love 2

Enjoyed the most memorable year episode and thanks to celebs for sharing with audience and viewers.

Alek & Lindsay
It's nice to see Alek back on the dance floor and competing despite the unfortunate event.  Thought the glare at the camera at the opening number was a nice way to set the tone of the routine.  He made an effort to carry out the character, but whether it be through aggressive body posturing or arrogant facial expressions, I was hoping he could attack the routine a bit more (as its the one latin dance where the male can dominate and lead the lady).  The twist turns circling away from the corner of the floor was nice to see, but it didn't produce the expected body arc that mirrored Lindsay's shape.  Hoping he can fix his hips asap with his upcoming latin dances (cha cha, rumba, samba, salsa) as well.  Nevertheless, its going to be interested to see if the new pairing can shake things up and bring him back into the deserved spotlight of his week 1 foxtrot.

Bindi & Derek
Glad to see Bindi finally connecting to a dance.  Was a bit hesitant and worried about everyone's contemporary dances this season, as I feel Allison has set the bar this season (and last) with her high level routines.  It's hard not to match the pros routines (with the comparisons being inevitable), but it was a pleasant surprise watching Derek's choreography.  Thought it was right up there with Allison's, producing the same unmistakable, signature poignant effect.  The spillage of raw emotions, freedom of motion and spontaneous floor coverage was nice to see.  Still would like to see how Bindi develops and progresses in her ballroom/latin dances after this number, but it's nice to see a different side of Bindi with this routine.  Think this is a good start for this couple.

Hayes & Emma
Thought Hayes really carried out a nice performance with the contemporary piece.  It's nice to see that Emma is using the extensions of his long arms and hands (his strengths) in the routine, and how Hayes successfully carried out the lifts despite the risks.  This was a much needed boost after last week's performance.   Despite the natural arm/hand/fingertip extensions, I think it's a slight improvement from the week 1 cha cha, as they are still moving independently from the rest of his body.  I think a much strengthend core would assist in his longevity on the show.  The quick stop and go action and the aggressive head flicks in the tango (among others) could expose his undeveloped core as the weeks progress.  Nevertheless, its nice to see him embracing each dance as they come and having fun all at the same time.

Alexa & Mark
Agree that the dance concept was original, creative, promising and I'm glad Mark is keeping the bar consistently high for the pair.  Despite the foxtrot requiring years to master the slowness of it, I thought Alexa made a valiant effort to carry out the dance steps and moves.  While the smooth, sophisticated feel of the number didn't materialize for me, I still think she can offer more in the coming weeks by building upon this ballroom dance.  I still think there seems to be a consistent problem with all of her dancing, namely that her energy still tends to rise from her chest up.  Think she still needs to remain calm and settled into the ground more.  While Mark has been doing a nice job thus far, it will be interesting to see if the new pro addresses this issue, or provides other training to enhance her technique even more.

Nick & Sharna
Last week was a pleasant surprise, this week, it was a nice change to be able to sit back and to enjoy the performance.  Its possible this routine may have turned heads from Bindi's and Hayes demographics as well.  For obvious reasons, I thought Nick felt the most comfortable out on stage, and that his jazz performance felt uninhibited and free-flowing; he was in his element.  The kick-up move (don't know the name) when he pulled himself upright after being on the ground on all fours looked difficult, yet it seemed he pulled it off cleanly.  It will be interesting to see how his ballroom/latin dances changes (for better or for worse) when he comes back to Sharna after the switch up.  With respect to all the couples, will the switch up hinder their progress, add a new dimension to their technique/performance, or bring out a newfound sense of growth in their dance skills and abilities?  Will it prove to be that fiery trial necessary to bring the original pairing even closer and committed to reaching the finals?

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 1

I saw this show on Broadway and the dancing was awesome. Thanks for letting me revisit this awesome show. One other number from "Fosse" that exemplifies Jazz is "Steam Heat". Love this number......

You are very welcome! I happened to see the Fosse production in Chicago years ago, simply because a friend couldn't use her ticket and kindly gave it to me. But I'm so glad I got to go because it made such an impact on me. It's been so long, but I can still picture some of the dances and the lighting so vividly. It was such a powerful production of incredible movement; I'd see it again in a heartbeat.

"Sing Sing Sing" is my most favorite - it's just such an amazing performance and keeps going, with all these different sections of dancing. I love it so much! And thank you for reminding me of "Steam Heat"! That one is fantastic too. That redhead's facial expressions are particularly fun. Great, great stuff.

Edited by sinkwriter

Yeah, I mean Tamar's husband the subject of her dance was the guy providing the music, which I thought was a pretty big deal considering how sick he was, and how important it was for them to have a little family.  So that was cool.  It was also cool to see a hopeful ending.  But more importantly for me, this lady put work into learning technique, I kinda thought this is what the show is about.  She looked lovely and I thought the shapes and the vulnerability she created came from her heart but it is rooted in solid dance steps, not some fantasy of movement with no technique.  

I definitely agree about the quality of the dance and the technique. It was a huge part of the effect the story/dance had on me. Just forgot to mention it on account of being overwrought, lol.

• Love 1

IMO, Tamar "puts on" what she thinks is her sexy face when she's dancing.  It's almost like the blank stare that models adopt when they're walking the runway.  No emotion ... just look at the clothes.

Nick was so stoic (fierce face) this week so he wouldn't break down.  I don't mind that about his "story"  ... this is what's happened to him so far this year.  He wasn't exaggerating its impact on his life and that's what this week was about.

While I like Bindi and understand that she was extremely close to her father, let's move on already.  She's done remarkable things in the years since Steve Irwin's death.  Can we focus on some of those?

Sorta used to the craziness that's ACI and Bruno ... but what was with Julianne's over the top reactions and frenetic behavior on Monday?  

• Love 1
(Here is where I probably deserve a painful and ignominious death).  While I one bazillion percent know that Bindi has suffered horrendously with her Dad's passing, it was difficult to not notice that there was barely any moisture in her eyes the entire time after her dance was finished.  She wasn't dry-eyed, but she was most certainly not feeling it as deeply as her constant face-in-hands and burying herself in Derek's and the jidges' arms would suggest.  There may have been an actual tear.  I didn't see it.  There most certainly was not "waterworks."  Essentially, she was acting and milking the moment more than feeling the moment, in my opinion.  Now, to be VERY clear, I wish her nothing but peace over her awful loss.  I hope she enjoys a fulfilling and wonderful life.  I am only mentioning my observation.  And yes, my Grinch heart needs to grow and grow.

I noticed this too.  Dr Phil leaped to mind.  He calls out guests who speak in their cry voice but have no tears.

I am going to defend Bindi here --- I believe her emotions were genuine and that she was choke-up/tear-up and am not at all put off or suspect play acting because a lack of discernible tears/moisture. 

I am a person who, when she cries, does not produce tears.  It doesn't matter how upset/sad I am or if I am crying because of an injury, I do not produce rolling down the face, dripping on the side of your nose, cause your eyeliner to run and mascara clump tears.  At the most I might get a little glisten effect in my eyes.  It's a medical condition; my tear ducts do not produce enough moisture to create tears (I do produce enough moisture to keep my eyes lubricated).  Years of being told to ‘stop faking’ when I was crying because I didn’t have tears makes me extremely sensitive/protective when I hear/read people making the same comments about others.

And shame on Dr. Phil for making those comments – though it shouldn’t surprise me as I think the man is a bit of a quack.

I thought Bindi’s reaction was perfectly reasonable (far be it from me to tell anyone how they should feel/react/demonstrate their feelings).  I remember that she did everything with her father and I have no doubt that the time they spent together along with his passing has greatly shaped who she is today (along with the awesome Terri).  I suspect Bindi’s reaction was a combination of emotional release, built–up anxiety, and stress. 

All in all, I found her dance lovely; the choreography really sold the story, and Bindi performed it beautifully.  I only quibble (and it’s a minor one) is that I wish that the band used the Allison Krause version of the song as  I think it would have suited the dance well.

• Love 5

I have no idea if it's accurate to what's considered jazz dance, I usually think of Bob Fosse. That kind of a detailed, almost gravity-defying body positions, angles and the most minute movements down to the simplest flick of a finger. 

For SYTYCD, Fosse is used for Broadway, For DWTS, I don't think it matters since most of the pros are not jazz specialists so most of the time it's like a freestyle where they do whatever.  Nick and Sharna did commercial pop jazz.  I'm too old to care about boy bands but I did like their dance.  But the staging was a little off.  Sometimes, the audience covered up some of the moves.

I think this theme was good for Tamar.  She was able to tell her story instead of the DWTS manufactured drama of fighting over choreography stories.  I like that Val created a true rumba.

Carlos and Witney's waltz was pretty.  It did look a little bit like contemporary but not as much as Bindi/Derek's.  They had more waltz and moves in hold.

Andy looked better in the non-hold non-cha-cha-cha sections.  He probably feels more comfortable with those kinds of moves because they are used in videos or maybe because Allison teaches them better.  There were cha-cha-cha moves, but he and Allison didn't look in sync and he didn't do them right.

I think Alek did a good job even though his performance wasn't there.  You can tell his mind was elsewhere even during the judging and interviews.

I was surprised by Hayes.  This was his best dance.  I don't really remember Alexa's dance.  However, I don't know why she didn't like Alfonso's comments.  It's a competition and it's o.k. to beat your husband at something.

I think Bindi was genuine.  It was contemporary by the numbers but I did like the emotion that she expressed.  I like how Louis is teaching Paula the ballroom basics instead of mixing it up.  She needs more confidence and she doesn't need to announce her mistakes.  I agree that there's too much commotion before and after her dances. 

Gary wasn't going to improve so he was the right one to go.  Also, I was thinking that it would be terrible if Witney or Lindsay had to deal with him during the switch-up because they are young.  I would think Sharna would have been the right choice but who knows what the viewers would have picked.  So it's good that nobody else had to deal with him.  Anna did a great job and I hope she comes back with a better partner.  I noticed Karina hasn't been used in the bumpers so it would be a shame if we also don't see Anna anymore.

Edited by realdancemom

My knowledge of dance comes pretty much exclusively from this show, and this particular tidbit came from CAI, so take it for what it's worth. I remember one of the first times Contemporary was done, she cried and called it "a beautiful lyrical jazz, which is what Contemporary used to be called." Based solely on that comment, I've always been under the impression that Contemporary and Lyrical Jazz are different names for the same style while Lyrical Jazz and Jazz are separate styles. Much like Waltz and Viennese Waltz or Tango and Argentine Tango. When I hear Jazz, I think Bob Fosse or Broadway Musical. I can also accept Pop Jazz like what Nick did. 

I usually hate Contemporary/Lyrical Jazz. Even those that are well done, I can appreciate the artistry and technique but still not like it. I did, however, like Bindi's. Yes, I'm a sap, but she played it so joyfully most of the dance, and was angsty at the appropriate moments without (IMO) going too overwrought. I do enjoy a well done jazz.

• Love 1

I remember seeing Karina in one of the stripper bumpers.  I found it strangely revolting to see her being exploited like that in a way that I don't find it strangely revolting to see the other pros exploited.  It was a bit surreal.

My knowledge of dance comes pretty much exclusively from this show, and this particular tidbit came from CAI, so take it for what it's worth. I remember one of the first times Contemporary was done, she cried and called it "a beautiful lyrical jazz, which is what Contemporary used to be called." Based solely on that comment, I've always been under the impression that Contemporary and Lyrical Jazz are different names for the same style while Lyrical Jazz and Jazz are separate styles. Much like Waltz and Viennese Waltz or Tango and Argentine Tango. When I hear Jazz, I think Bob Fosse or Broadway Musical. I can also accept Pop Jazz like what Nick did. 

No CAI was talking 100 percent out of her ass. Idk what the fascination with Fosse is here but he is one (his own) very specific style of jazz. He is not the creator. Musical theater was not the birthplace of jazz.

The only thing I can think of is if she is a former competition kid or something. This is how it goes: ballet and tap starting at 2/3-->jazz and musical theater at like 5-->'lyrical' (which is ballet set to an interpretation of of the LYRICS, tells a story) at like 6/7-->contemporary (can be similar to 'lyrical' but usually more abstract) a few years later when they can handle it. Contemporary is new to THESE KIDS in this comp circuit progression, as of maybe like 10/15 years ago at the max.

• Love 1

Worst eppy of the season for me. Hate the sadness and crying. This show is supposed to be fun.

Not a Paula fan for obvious reasons, (the incident)  but I think she is damaged. She announces her mistakes before someone else does. (?) Also, iirc, I think she had severe agoraphobia for some years. I could be wrong. But  she has some great legs, so I'll give her that. And at 68 she is hanging in there.

I love Witney now. Never thought I'd say that. I wish her announcement had gotten a bit more oomph on the show.

I thought Alfonso did a good job. I did really miss Tom.

• Love 1

Sometimes it's not quite right (like Bindi's song choice), but I don't usually mind if it's close enough in sentiment or if I get what I think they were thinking when they made the choice.

What might have been better would have been "You'll Be In My Heart" (from the movie Disney cartoon movie/ musical "Tarzan"). Don't know if the timing would have been okay but the lyrics are much better. Plus Tarzan hangs with animals. :) (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/philcollins/youllbeinmyheart.html)

I'm all about the boy band love but Nick's dance was. . . a little lazy? (**gasp**blasphemy!) Of course he was going to do a great job. He's been pretty much dancing to that song for 16-17 years. I'm interested to see Nick doing more "real" ballroom dancing. like a tango or some Latin dance (not like his first dance).

• Love 3

I am re-watching last night's show and Carlos and Witney's waltz was stunning!

For about the first 3rd of it I thought it was Contemporary. It wasn't until the little caption at the bottom of the screen came up that I realized it was supposed to be a Waltz. They did eventually get into some actual Waltz moves but there was a lot of faffing about beforehand. 

I just tend to think Carlos and Alexa are going to get lost in the shuffle because the core audience of this show doesn't really know who they are. Or care. I'm betting the votes are going to Alek and Bindi.

• Love 1

I remember seeing Karina in one of the stripper bumpers.  I found it strangely revolting to see her being exploited like that in a way that I don't find it strangely revolting to see the other pros exploited.  It was a bit surreal.

Ugh!!  I want to see Karina do a pro Latin number.  Her talent is wasted.  Also, it seems like TPTB are phasing out older pros to try to attract younger viewers.  I'm afraid that we'll only see Karina, Anna, and Kym if there are older or difficult contestants.  

• Love 2

I am getting tired of the bullshit anyone over 35 is getting on this show. It's tiresome and unnecessary.  This show is trying too hard to be child relevant, when that is just going to drop the ratings even further.

• Love 3

Ugh!!  I want to see Karina do a pro Latin number.  Her talent is wasted.  Also, it seems like TPTB are phasing out older pros to try to attract younger viewers.  I'm afraid that we'll only see Karina, Anna, and Kym if there are older or difficult contestants.  

You are right, although I'd love to see one of those ladies with a classy older man who could stick around a while. Maybe someone like Tommy Chong. Loved Peta with him!

• Love 1

I just tend to think Carlos and Alexa are going to get lost in the shuffle because the core audience of this show doesn't really know who they are. Or care. I'm betting the votes are going to Alek and Bindi.

I was tracking twitter quite a bit to see how the switch up pairings were going and I couldn't believe how crazy people are going for Alek..I mean I get it but he was getting even more traction than Nick

I was tracking twitter quite a bit to see how the switch up pairings were going and I couldn't believe how crazy people are going for Alek..I mean I get it but he was getting even more traction than Nick

Honestly, Alek's definitely in my top 3. I wouldn't mind at this point if he won the whole thing. No one's really standing out, and he seems to be working hard, enjoying the experience, and doing well enough. Of course, my mind can change as we see more, but I'm not surprised at the support.

• Love 2

Also, can someone turn down the screech effect on Julianne's voice?  

Between Carrie-Anne's babbling stupid comments and Julianne's screeching at the contestants, the judges' comments part of the show is almost unbearable to watch.

Can they bring in a judge who actually comments on the dancing?

• Love 3

I would really like to see Mark's dance done again with a pro. I really, really liked it; although, he could have dropped the umbrella a little earlier.

I think Alexa and Tamar have opposite problems. Alexa has good connection with Mark during the dances but then, to me, kind of forgets about him the rest of the time. She basically ran up the stairs away from him last night. They don't seem to mesh really well - on both sides - outside of the dance. Mark seems kind of defeated. I had Alexa as a surprise win this season because I thought she'd be into the show and because Mark not only deserves it for what he's done in the past but that he'd earn it this season, too.

I really liked Alexa and Mark's foxtrot too...IMO it was well constructed and I agree with the person who said it looked like it was a scene out of an MGM musical.

However, I think the two of them are fine as a pair and I like their chemistry both on AND off the dance floor. Alexa actually is quite "huggy" with Mark and while she did go up the stairs by herself, she was hugging him a lot before and after. I was also expecting Mark's face to read disappointed or frustrated after the mistake, but overall he was OK and was even laughing about it with Alexa.

The show decided that the "married" angle was going to be Alexa's edit this season and unfortunately, that has negatively colored a lot of people's perceptions and opinions of her and Mark.

Not to mention, a lot of viewers have short-term memory from week to week when it's not their favorite couple. Last week, when Alexa and Mark shot to the top of the leaderboard with Breaking Bad, there wasn't nearly as much criticism of their partnership then.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 1

.... And thank you for reminding me of "Steam Heat"! That one is fantastic too. That redhead's facial expressions are particularly fun. Great, great stuff.

After reading the comments on YouTube for the "Steam Heat" number, several posters said the Fosse production version was too slow and not as up beat as the movie version. The Carol Haney version in the movie "The Pajama Game" was more up beat. Of course I had to go check it out. Sure enough, loved the movie version better..........

https://youtu.be/DZaTsNjhTYs

Edited by luvthepros

After reading the comments on YouTube for the "Steam Heat" number, several posters said the Fosse production version was too slow. The Carol Haney version in the movie "The Pajama Game" was more up beat. Of course I had to go check it out. Sure enough, loved the movie version better..........

That's really interesting! I watched the Pajama Game version, but I think I like both. I can appreciate the faster version, but there's something very precise about the slower version where I can fully appreciate some of those unique postures and moves that I like a lot. (Plus, I think the slower parts make the fast-paced clapping section really stand out when there's a marked difference in speed.)

Edited by sinkwriter

Have you LOOKED at Alek lately. His looks beat Nick Carter's by at least one mile, I don't follow those things like trending wherever but that is no surprise to me.

Sus.

Edited by sueponine
  • Love 1

That's really interesting! I watched the Pajama Game version, but I think I like both. I can appreciate the faster version, but there's something very precise about the slower version where I can fully appreciate some of those unique postures and moves that I like a lot. (Plus, I think the slower parts make the fast-paced clapping section really stand out when there's a marked difference in speed.)

Well since we're talking Fosse, looks like Rumer Willis is killin' it in Chicago.  Happy for her...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/rumer-willis-performs-roxie-34173851

• Love 3

Sometimes it's not quite right (like Bindi's song choice), but I don't usually mind if it's close enough in sentiment or if I get what I think they were thinking when they made the choice. When I heard them say "Every Breath You Take," I thought, oh noooo, that's not a good one, Bindi. But I didn't end up minding because 1) they sang the song in a softer-edged way, and 2) I get the whole "I'll be watching you" as "Your dad is always going to be with you in your heart, no matter what." 

I was on board with this interpretation of the lyrics until the "Every vow you break" part. I wouldn't have found it at all inappropriate to substitute with a repeat of: "Every move you make, every step you take, I'll be watching you," but they didn't do that...so creepy.

For me it falls into the category of one of the Voice contestants (Amanda Brown?) dedicating "I Will Always Love You" (basically a kiss off song) to her kids. Or an anecdote that Idina Menzel tells in concert about when she used to be a wedding singer often asked to sing "Saving All My Love for You."  Despite the warning: "You know this is a song about cheating, right." they'd still want the song. A few stolen moments is all that we share, You've got your family, and they need you there...(cheating)

• Love 1

I really liked Alexa and Mark's foxtrot too...IMO it was well constructed and I agree with the person who said it looked like it was a scene out of an MGM musical.

However, I think the two of them are fine as a pair and I like their chemistry both on AND off the dance floor. Alexa actually is quite "huggy" with Mark and while she did go up the stairs by herself, she was hugging him a lot before and after. I was also expecting Mark's face to read disappointed or frustrated after the mistake, but overall he was OK and was even laughing about it with Alexa.

The show decided that the "married" angle was going to be Alexa's edit this season and unfortunately, that has negatively colored a lot of people's perceptions and opinions of her and Mark.

Not to mention, a lot of viewers have short-term memory from week to week when it's not their favorite couple. Last week, when Alexa and Mark shot to the top of the leaderboard with Breaking Bad, there wasn't nearly as much criticism of their partnership then.

I generally agree with this. Alexa didn't have winner potential to me from the start, I also talked about this in her thread before the season (too little fanbase, no compelling story, not a big nostalgia factor, not loud enough as a persona), so some of the predictions before the season that speculated she could be a frontrunner were rather a head-scratcher. I think she's someone who can do well, and that's still in the cards. She made one mistake, the dance was still nice, she didn't freak out and stop the performance, both her and Mark were in good spirits about it afterwards. It doesn't have to be a dealbreaker. And apart from the first week I think she's given really committed dance performances and it's obvious she puts in the work.

It's still my opinion that she really shot herself in the foot with the weird reaction to Fons' comments, inadvertedly creating the perception that she has trouble separating her marriage from the DWTS dance competition. Though I also acknowledge that this is the narrative the show is creating for her and that she was probably prodded into that rant by the producers. IMO Mark and Alexa get on fine, they are fine in interviews together, it doesn't seem like there's any tension in rehearsals. It's just that Alexa has created the perception, or the show has created the perception for her perhaps, that she's almost more into Carlos' and Witney's progress than her own. That's gonna follow her around now to some degree, but it doesn't have to be a fatal blow. I mean, she's not winning this thing anyway, so it's not like it has destroyed her chances for the MBT. She didn't have a chance for the MBT to begin with IMO. She can still do well anyway.

I do think Mark is a bit subdued, but part of that is that he's not in babysitter mode like for Sadie and Willow (and Candace, let's be honest...), so people aren't used to the more relaxed version of him. Part of it may be the marrieds!!! thing, but I think he's accepted it for what it is at this point, and that he probably also knows that he's not winning with Alexa this season. But he seems reasonably cheerful, Alexa seems pleasant enough to be around otherwise, things seem okay to me. And personally I appreciate that he has a partner who is capable and where he doesn't have to do the kindergarten version of every dance. I like that I get to see him do mature dances. Not even necessarily sexy dances (I don't think doing steamy, raunchy stuff particularly interests him as a choreographer...), but things that are more sophisticated. I'm enjoying them as a pair, despite some reservations.

• Love 1

A few random notes about Paula. I hope she brings her absolute best this coming week, because she seems to have very nice potential. Despite making some mistakes, she has handled some rather difficult footwork, with precision and speed and very nice lines. If she brings her best dance yet next week, it could be very entertaining.

I also have to give three cheers to Paula's costume designer, because I think Paula has looked fabulous. Not fabulous for someone in her golden years or fabulous for someone with

a somewhat fuller figure -- but fabulous, period. Beautiful fabrics and colors. Everything fits her great and flows beautifully. The designs use her figure, rather than hide it or try to change it. I think it's a lovely example of making the most of someone's appearance as it actually is.

Edited by jordanpond
  • Love 5

Not a Derek fan at all but I loved what he came up with for Bindi.  That was beautiful and real for me.  I loved it and loved seeing them dance.  First time I didn't listen to the song and just watched a dance.  I'm so glad she did that for her dad too.

• Love 2