Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E06: Most Memorable Year

• Start Topic

LOL at some of y'all who claim you knew Allison was pregnant "a few months ago." Right, when she had just missed her period, you knew she was pregnant. She probably didn't even know yet. If Allison is "obviously showing," there is no hope for the rest of us.

I don't know about a few months ago, but there were one or two comments after the first week's show in her thread that she was probably pregnant because her waist looked slightly wider. And ymmv but I definitely think she was clearly showing during last night's show. Someone who is often as toned and taut as Alison, when you can see the costume squeezing around her middle, she's showing imo.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I don't know about a few months ago, but there were one or two comments after the first week's show in her thread that she was probably pregnant because her waist looked slightly wider. 

Yeah, and they turned out to be right, so they might go ask their friends and coworkers "are you pregnant? Your waist is slightly wider" now that their detective skills are validated. It's just my pet peeve when people think every little thing means a woman must be pregnant. "She's cranky / bloated / tired / nauseous? She must be pregnant! There is literally no other possible explanation!"

Edited to clarify that I am admittedly more sensitive to this because my best friend is going through IVF and the drugs she is on give her similar side effects, and her coworkers are up her ass constantly about "are you pregnant?" It can be brutal.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 6
I didn't know about Witney's engagement at all. So to me it seemed like a rude afterthought compared to the others' announcements

I think the difference is that Alison's husband is famous(ish) too. So, to me, I'm invested in them as a couple. I have no idea who Witney is engaged to. Plus, it affects the competition somewhat to be a pregnant pro. It makes no difference for the show if someone gets engaged.

• Love 1

I am a sucker for the most memorable year. So I enjoyed last night.

There is so question Derek is a phenomenal choreographer, and I loved the dance last night. But nothing will ever beat Derek and Kellie Pickler's contemporary freestyle, imo.

• Love 1

She wasn't dry-eyed, but she was most certainly not feeling it as deeply as her constant face-in-hands and burying herself in Derek's and the jidges' arms would suggest.  There may have been an actual tear.  I didn't see it.  There most certainly was not "waterworks."  Essentially, she was acting and milking the moment more than feeling the moment, in my opinion.  Now, to be VERY clear, I wish her nothing but peace over her awful loss.  I hope she enjoys a fulfilling and wonderful life.  I am only mentioning my observation.

Yep.  I thought I clearly saw fakery, so glad that a couple of others were hard-hearted cynics like me.

• Love 4

What makes a celebrity "tragedy" worth so much more than anyone else's?  Young people lose a parent every day, but you don't hear about their heartache.  People lose spouses, and parents lose their children every day, and we don't hear their anguish.  Famous people get cancer, but the media makes you believe that their suffering is somehow more tragic than anyone else.  Bindi lost her father, and that's sad, but her story is no more powerful than my mom losing her dad when she was 6, and having six brothers and sisters left without a dad.  At least Bindi didn't have to wonder where her next meal was coming from. unlike my mom's family.  Mom used to have to walk along railway tracks to find coal that fell off trains, just to heat their tiny house.  All the kids used to pick onions for two cents a peck, just to have some money for food.  Hell, I had polio at age 2 and I can't walk anymore.  My sister is legally blind from a congenital eye defect, my dad has dementia and my wonderful, vital mom fell one day and broke her neck and died 11 days later.   So, forgive me if I don't get all fuzzy with these producer-hyped stories.  We all have sad stories and have suffered things that no one should have to suffer.  But we plug on and keep on living, and use these things to make us stronger.  And, no one pays us to tell our sad stories, either.  Sorry, off my soapbox.  So to say that I hate this sad story week on Dancing is an understatement.

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 3

The manufactured emotional crap is to somehow give some credibility to mediocre dance skills.  Did Bindi display any sort of strong extension of line? no.  Did Bindi have any technical prowess in jumps or leaps? no.  Did Bindi have a little bauble or two? yes.   So for those thinking this wasn't as good as Pickler, well hell, Pickler was flexible in the extreme.  This wasn't as good as most contemporaries in which the partner could demonstrate at least some superior ability in flexibility in technicality of movement, there was nothing like that here.  It was smoke and mirrors and blubbering.   

• Love 3

Yes taking advantage of these tragedies in someone's life in an entertainment show is nonsensical to say the least. Why not happy memorable years? that would fit better with the tone of the show. I deleted the whole thing. It was too much although I was surprised ( just that! no tears from me) to hear that Carlos had gone to bible study and had a 'born-again' experience. The rest urgh!!

• Love 3

I'm not a fan of this theme either. Maybe honestly, I'm not a fan of any THEME weeks. But this one just.. I don't know. I feel sad when these people talk about the people they lost and everything they've been though but I really hate this theme. All the "stars" are more than likely going to pick memorable years where something sad happened. And I get it, because having someone who is close to you die or get sick would be a memorable year.

Alfonso was okay as host but I'm sorry, he's no Tom Bergeron.

• Love 3

Don't the "memorable year" theme weeks usually require the celebs to pick a song from that year? Or was that a fever dream I had? I swear in other years it has seemed more cohesive that way. This time few of the dances and few of the songs really had any connection to the year they chose.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 1

I just always see this theme week as a way to get to know the "star" better.  Whichever moment the star chooses to highlight I see it as ABC trying to help make the star more relateable and known to viewers.  I guess it doesn't bother me much because in the end some of these shows have helped me to see the person in a different light.

• Love 9

I'm sitting here blubbering over Tamar and Val's rhumba. Almost lost my husband on three different occasions, and my child on one, and by the grace of God they

She just went up about 100% in my estimation. self-involved and sort of bratty. Sure feel like I've misjudged her! I always like these "Most Memorable Year" nights, because I really learn a lot about those involved, and there are so many touching stories.

Yeah, I mean Tamar's husband the subject of her dance was the guy providing the music, which I thought was a pretty big deal considering how sick he was, and how important it was for them to have a little family.  So that was cool.  It was also cool to see a hopeful ending.  But more importantly for me, this lady put work into learning technique, I kinda thought this is what the show is about.  She looked lovely and I thought the shapes and the vulnerability she created came from her heart but it is rooted in solid dance steps, not some fantasy of movement with no technique.  

• Love 5

As for Alexa's comments on Alphonso's comment, while it was true early on, the dance he made the comment on was not the dance that showed her 'lack of commitment' or whatever. Her dance last week was the first time she showed real power and partnership with Mark. Alphonso was behind on his comments and I generally agree with whoever said he was basically parroting other judges' comments at different points in time. I would be annoyed myself if I was her. That said she regressed this week.

So I hear Maks will be back next week as a guest judge. Him judging the switch up week should be interesting. Him and Julianne judging together should bring some great moments.

I'm excited for this. 

Edited by PTVjones
  • Love 2

I don't think anybody is saying that a celeb has it worse than real life folks or that celeb tragedies and sad stories are any more important than those us normal folks go through.  I do understand not liking most memorable year week because it can feel manipulative sometimes, less from the celebs themselves and more so from the way the show packages their tragedies and etc.  Also I always feel it's somewhat unfair to the teenagers that don't usually have anything gutwrenching to pull out of their back pocket.  See Hayes trying to compete with dead relatives and larger moments. 

But at the end of the day the show is called Dancing with the Stars and it's supposed to be about the stars.  Part of how you get folks at home to care about the celebs is by showing them as real people and showing their lives, both the ups and downs.  So because Bindi has the platform to tell her story on DWTS doesn't make her tragedy any greater than anyone else's, but it also shouldn't be discounted either.  I also think Bindi's story stands out because her father was a beloved public figure to many (and to others he was controversial), so his death was an international news story and most people have a frame of reference for who Steve Irwin was in the context of their own life.  Whether you liked him or not. 

It's also human nature I think that so many people choose a tragedy or almost tragedy as their most memorable year.   I would never be on a show like this, nor am I a celeb...but it's also certainly where my mind goes when thinking of my own life.  It shapes your life unfortunately.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 16

I think the difference is that Alison's husband is famous(ish) too. So, to me, I'm invested in them as a couple. I have no idea who Witney is engaged to. Plus, it affects the competition somewhat to be a pregnant pro. It makes no difference for the show if someone gets engaged.

All very true. But Witney is a recent winner of the mirror ball trophy, which gives her a bigger standing / bigger recognition on the show, and not everyone follows social media or reads magazines like People (I personally have essentially sworn off anything that might have a headline like "10 Days to Thinner Thighs" or "Get a Beach Body like Your Favorite Stars" which ends up ruling out A LOT of magazines), so it was a surprise to me that Alison got a big announcement but Witney did not.

It's definitely right to make it a big deal for Alison, not only because it's lovely news for her and her family but because it brings into question "How far along will you be if you make it to the finals of this competition and will that hinder your ability to dance fully?" But just because Witney's news doesn't have a huge impact on the show doesn't mean it shouldn't be highlighted along with all the other dancers' stories that were highlighted throughout the episode last night. So I was just surprised and thought it was a little weird, that's all.

It's also human nature I think that so many people choose a tragedy or almost tragedy as their most memorable year.   I would never be on a show like this, nor am I a celeb...but it's also certainly where my mind goes when thinking of my own life.  It shapes your life unfortunately.

Absolutely. Fun moments are fleeting but the heavier stuff makes a huge impact and oftentimes becomes some of our deepest learning experiences.

• Love 2

I'm still not clear exactly why Hayes and his brothers suddenly got a ton of followers, because those clips just seemed a bit like "America's Funniest Home Videos" (though maybe that explains it right there). I don't get why he's famous to such a degree.

But... I will say I thought he did a terrific job with his dancing last night. Like the judges pointed out, he really hit all his moves, he dove in completely. Maybe it helps him to have a personal story in his head when he's performing the moves. It helps him connect fully to the dance. Anyway, I thought he did a great job. One of my favorite dances of the night.

Kudos to Emma for good choreography, too!

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 6

Can I just say that it really cracked me up how Nick was completely out of breath from his dance but still took a moment to compliment Erin on her dress? I wouldn't say it's the most flattering thing I've ever seen her wear, but he clearly couldn't take his eyes off her. He was all, "That dress... um... yeah, it's really pretty. Looks good on you. Yeah." 

LOL! Awesome. (Though at one point I wanted to say to him, "Hey, eyes up top, mister.")

I was never a big boy band fan, probably just slightly too old to get into that at the time (I graduated high school in 1990), so I don't really know much about Backstreet Boys, just recognize faces from news and magazines and award show performances. So I didn't really care one way or another about Nick performing his old dance moves. However, I was moved by the camaraderie and love he got from his former bandmates. That was really sweet. Such great support when he needed it.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 5

I do think the show needs to classify exactly what are Jazz and contemporary defined for the show. Pop jazz is what Nick did and it is technically Jazz. Though most people place it somewhere in the hip hop genre. And the Lindsay/Alek did a Lyrical jazz earlier while 2 seasons ago Alison did a hip hop infused contemporary.

I saw real tears in Bindi's eyes. She was trying not to break down. She usually focuses on the positive aspects of her father so the death and missing focus just made her feel bad. I do think she was scored too high though there was some interesting cheorgaphy.

I enjoyed Tamar's dance. It was pretty. My favorite of the night.

I really don't know how Alek kept it togther. Knowing but the direction of fate that he might have been there to save lives. He's still a very young man with a lot happening to him. From war, to terrorism to what it's like to have to worry and wait and see if your friends are safe. The not being able to do something has to have been tearing him apart emotionally.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 7

I know back when this show used to be two nights-monday night, dance, tuesday elimination- that this theme and the celebs who chose happy moments got kicked off. I recall Kristen Cavilleri used 2006 as her most memorable year because it was when she moved to LA and away from her parents and whatnot and she was up against a lot of sad stories, like  I think the other  contestants were Rob Kardashion who used his fathers death and that Sabrina girl who was in that disney band used the year where something happened with a boyfriend with drugs. And Kristen was kicked off.

So, I also think that probably more viewers connect with the emotional deep things rather than the happy moments. Probably because certain happy moments are somewhat insignificant to everyone, not everyone will really understand that you are happy you figured out you want to move away and be your own person, that is singular to you. But people can relate to a loss of some kind. People can relate to Bindi losing her father because viewers knew him but even if we didn't, like I said people can relate to a loss of some kind and feel that empathy for her or in the case of Tamer, we can empathize with the scare of possibly losing someone. So I agree, I think it's easier to feel for people then it is to find joy with them because like I said most happy things are singular to those people or their families. Like, Hayes had a very happy story, but it didn't move me too much. He was shy and now he is not?

I'm not saying that the dances weren't good and that these themes weren't powerful and I totally understand the need for this week, but I don't really enjoy it too much.  I suppose I just feel strange watching someones tragedy. Not that I think they are exploiting it, it just feels wrong for me to be watching it. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3

Don't the "memorable year" theme weeks usually require the celebs to pick a song from that year? Or was that a fever dream I had? I swear in other years it has seemed more cohesive that way. This time few of the dances and few of the songs really had any connection to the year they chose.

I too don't really understand the theme.  I thought they would have picked a year, told their story, and then danced to a song from that year.  They should have just called this week's theme "Life Changing Moment".  Most of the people seemed to pick some tragedy to focus on, so I did like how Paula and Nick both talked about how they picked up the pieces and made their lives better.  Both were in bad situations and they made a life altering decision which changed their lives forever.  The songs seem to send the message that the celebs want to portray about themselves, but really, "Every Breath You Take" and "Respect" have nothing to do with the year itself.

I don't dislike Alfonso.  But it's becoming a bit of a joke.  Like the way Rocco DiSpirito showed up instantaneously a couple of years ago whenever there was a camera around.

Yeah, this. I mean, he did a really good job subbing for Tom, but at this point I feel like he's going to show up anchoring the ABC evening news at some point. He's everywhere.

I generally hate "contemporary" with the fire of a thousand suns, because it's usually a lot of lifting and posing, but damn, Emma actually put some Dance into that number and Hayes pulled it off. I was impressed. On the other hand . . . what the hell kind of "tour" does a 15-year old kid who has a big following on Vine go on?!?

The other thing that annoyed me was Alexa telling us how her whole family uprooted so she could be in Spy Kids. We've heard this story several times from other former child stars - they get a part in a movie or show and their whole family relocates so they can "follow their dream." That seems . . . overly indulgent, to me. I mean, what kind of jobs do her parents have that they can just quit and move so their kid can be in a movie? What about her siblings giving up their school and their friends?

Alec really looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there.

Thank God Gary is gone, I've never been so uncomfortable watching someone before.

I wish they'd replace Carrie Ann Inaba. She drives me crazy with her inconsistent scoring. She gives Alexa a seven because she missed a couple steps and then on the same show she says she doesn't care if someone's arms weren't right because their artistry moved her. Make up your damn mind, Carrie Ann, either technique counts, or it doesn't.

• Love 4

Yep.  I thought I clearly saw fakery, so glad that a couple of others were hard-hearted cynics like me.

Apparently I'm naive then, because I don't see that. I watched that dance three times in a row, I watched her reactions before and after, and all her interactions with the judges, and I don't see it as fakery or putting on a show. I think Bindi is an incredibly positive person, she's able to be pretty well composed, but I do think she was crying after that dance. Maybe not the kind of blubbery crying that people expect to see, but I don't think she's a blubbery cry kind of gal. But her eye makeup was smudged, and it wasn't from sweating.

And I have been in a mode myself where I can go back and forth with my emotions - I might pull myself together, but all it takes is one comment from someone and I feel myself start to crumble again. That's what I saw from her last night. She was keeping it pretty well together, until Julianne said her father would have been proud of her, and then again when Bruno said her dad was with her every step of that dance. She crumbled a bit and pulled herself together, crumbled a bit and pulled herself together. Maybe that seems fake to some viewers, but I thought it was completely genuine. I don't think she would bullshit about her own father. That doesn't seem to be who she is at all. 

In fact, up to this point she's been relatively sunny about her relationship with her dad and the loss of him. She seems to have a very solid head on her shoulders, thanks to her mom and her brother and the family upbringing she's had. But I don't think even she expected the impact that dance was going to have on her. Sometimes it sneaks up on you. I really don't think any of that was fake.

• Love 12

If I were on this show -- and the way they're scraping the bottom of the fame barrel, I expect a call no later than 2017 -- my most memorable year would involve the time my frankfurter fell in the dirt, and we would dance to Wind Beneath My Wings.

• Love 11

Yeah, this. I mean, he did a really good job subbing for Tom, but at this point I feel like he's going to show up anchoring the ABC evening news at some point. He's everywhere.

Was he joking about sitting with the band next week? I thought he was joking when he said it, but then he mentioned it again in a post show interview, and at this point, I hope it's true, and then in following weeks he can show up in the troupe, then as one of the people doing makeup touchups in the red room, take a turn as a cameraman...

Edited to add Alphonso quote, it's from the Glamour blog

Obviously, the plan is for Tom to come back." If Tom isn't able to return next Monday, Alfonso filling in is not a sure thing. "Hopefully I did a good enough job that they'd go to me if that were to happen, but next week I'm with [bandleader] Ray Chew anyway."

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 2

If I were on this show -- and the way they're scraping the bottom of the fame barrel, I expect a call no later than 2017 -- my most memorable year would involve the time my frankfurter fell in the dirt, and we would dance to Wind Beneath My Wings.

THIS. I would use all of my 10 votes on you for this. 

• Love 2

I too really enjoyed Nick's dance. So what if it took elements of an old performance? It was energetic and fun. I thought Julianne was going to give him a 10.

Could someone please explain the difference to me between jazz, contemporary and freestyle? Jazz to me looks like how people would dance at a nightclub.

Freestyle is a ballroom competition category that has nothing to do with jazz and contemporary.

Contemporary and jazz have similarities and crossovers but jazz is a very broad style--pop jazz is what Sharna and Nick's thing was going for (what you see in most music videos).

Contemporary is a newer style, it is a combination of ballet/modern/jazz.

Neither of them is done remotely correctly on this show so you won't get a good idea. sytycd does a little better job, if you're interested this is a pretty pure jazz routine--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hp8k0Rizzc&list=PL2uLxqwq8yw6o1f6B3L1L2BAU-Fufgpwg&index=65 and this is a pretty pure contemporary routine--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUNVCqUo0dY

You could also read the wikipedia articles for some summaries :) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_dance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_dance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_dance

Edited by ocelot
  • Love 2

I thought Alfonso did fine - very kind of him to fill in for Tom (thinking of him and his dad and hoping all is well)

Liked:   Bindi, Nick and Tamar

Could not care less about:  everyone else.  I am not feeling the MARRIED COUPLE.   Especially MRS. MARRIED COUPLE (did you know they were married?)

I am an Alfonso fan but had to laugh at Gary Bussey telling Alfonso to hush.  Way to milk that last 15 minutes of fame, Gary.

Carrie Ann was almost tolerable except for talking about Tamar reaching in and squooshing her soul or whatever she said.  Julianne looked very pretty and I thought the moment between Bruno and Bindi when she hugged him was sweet.

• Love 4

Alfonso - the name of his beloved character on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air was Carlton

Thanks.  I never watched that show which is the root of my confusion, clearly.  :>)

YMMV but I kind of view this show as "it is what it is". You kind of know what you're going to get with it or at this point you should. It's just like how it's never been some "fair" dance competition based on perfect technical ability because even some of the best celebrities and biggest ringers likely haven't been perfect ballroom dancers, imo. Added to that, a show that pits young vs. old, athletes vs. non-athletes, performers vs. non-performers is never going to be perfectly fair. At the end of the day, it is an entertainment show and there is an element of story and production that goes into it. And so you have things like Most Memorable Week. 

They did it one season and I imagine feedback from viewers had to have been positive, so they figured it worked and have been using it ever since. And now many seasons later of doing it, you kind of know what you're going to get. Yes there will be the stories of tragedy and tears and overwrought emotions but that's this show. It's a cheesy, overwrought, kind of silly dance competition that is feel good television for many. And if it isn't that anymore for a person, then its probably best to move on. So all that said, I don't think the producers or the celebrities were suggesting their tragedy or story was worse than anyone else's. And I get that some are turned off by the whole thing so do what I do most weeks of this show - I fast forward much of the package and judges' comments and just watch the dances. 

Honestly, I watched last night and respected everyone's story, whatever that was. I personally did not cry or even get teary over anyone's story but I certainly didn't begrudge them sharing it or act like they were telling me whatever I went through in my personal life is not as meaningful. To me it is the equivalent of saying to someone when they're hurting, "well you know people in other countries are starving or others have it worse, etc." Yes, every day, millions of people have tragedies but someone's tragedy or pain or personal story is not less relevant or important because others suffered too. It matters to them and that's all that counts and again I personally never felt like the show was suggesting any of these celebrities' stories was more important than the average person's. But at the end of the day it is an entertainment show and as someone said, the producers clearly believe this makes the celebrity more relateable to the viewers and audience who has to vote for them.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 14

This is such a meh season to me, no one is really grabbing me the way they have in past seasons. 

I think back to both seasons with Apolo and the season with Evan Lysacek. Those were exciting seasons for me and I was so invested in the show. Not feeling like that with this season or any other season, actually. Sigh.

I am so shocked at the negativity! I have been really naive about dance shows or something. I watch because it makes me happy! Dance is happy! It's really brave for these stars to put themselves out there. I see people who know about dance technique critique the dancers and I respect that. Calling bullshit on these folks most memorable year was totally unexpected! To me dance is most beautiful when there is tangible emotion. I know all about snark, but from almost everybody? And no sympathy for Gary? Just wow.

• Love 9

I saw a bit of this last night after the Seahawks game. I should have watched the news instead...

I realize I'm going to have to go tell the kids to get off my lawn, but doing a sensual dance to "Amazing Grace" is offensive. I'm not religious. I don't pretend to be so. At the same time, really? What's next? A rumba to "Nearer My God To Thee"?

Bindi's package. And again, I'm horrified. She should NOT have to go on national TV at age 17 during "Crying With The Stars" so DWTS can exploit a horrible loss for ratings. Ms. Irwin seems to be a sweet young woman and I understand that losing her dad was the defining event of her life so far. I could NOT believe that ABC/DWTS producers kept filming after she said something to the effect of "I think I still really haven't mourned my dad." That's when anyone responsible shuts off the cameras, brings in a grief counselor or other mental health professional and allows Bindi to have some privacy while she deals with something very traumatic. Whether she was squeezing out tears during the dance or not (and what dumb shit chose "Every Step You Take"? Have they listened to the lyrics? If they were sold on something written by Sting, maybe they should have tried a song like "Fragile",) OMG. Where was her mom? Is she so entranced with the 250K per week that she doesn't have a thing to say when her daughter is asked to relive a deeply painful experience on live national TV?

Again, kids, lawn. I think the package was unfortunate at best and I think ABC and the producers of DWTS would put anything on TV if it made them a buck. In other words, they have no souls.

Whoever designed Erin Andrews' dress last night should never dress anyone again. When the design makes a tall, beautiful woman look bad, nobody else should wear it, either.

I wonder how many of the pros met Anna in an undisclosed location when she arrived back from New York today and who bought the drinks.

I'm not a fan of Paula, but I also really liked that cha cha because you could actually see the cha cha steps.  Thanks to Louis for that!  

Yes.  Very very basic cha cha.  I commented to my husband "hey! Paula's doing almost the exact dance we learned!"  Which is not a knock on Louis' choreography at all; it was probably the smartest thing to do - superbasic relatively easy intro cha cha steps.  (I say "relatively easy" because it was definitely the easiest for us of all the dances we learned.  Rumba is wicked hard!)

• Love 1

I too really enjoyed Nick's dance. So what if it took elements of an old performance? It was energetic and fun. I thought Julianne was going to give him a 10.

Could someone please explain the difference to me between jazz, contemporary and freestyle? Jazz to me looks like how people would dance at a nightclub.

Watch SYTYCD and you can see the difference between Jazz and Contemporary. Those genres on DWTS are usually just watered down versions of meh. A true Jazz on this show was danced by Karina, Witney and Corbin Bleu.......

https://youtu.be/JGMYX7ihbiA

I could NOT believe that ABC/DWTS producers kept filming after she said something to the effect of "I think I still really haven't mourned my dad." That's when anyone responsible shuts off the cameras, brings in a grief counselor or other mental health professional and allows Bindi to have some privacy while she deals with something very traumatic. 

She didn't say anything like that. I just went back and rewatched it to be sure. She said she's never dwelt on the moment of his death, and that it took a long time to realize what it would mean for the rest of her life. But never that she hadn't mourned.

• Love 3

Did Alek really say this in his intro package?

"My most memorable year is 2015. It's by far the best year I've had."  Then he talks about being deployed in Afghanistan and being on DWTS and "all the crazy things that have happened in between" and how going back to college got thrown out of the window because he's famous now and "and all the accolades and awards I've received and the year's not even over yet so it's by far the best year of my life."

Really Alek?  You were in a war and then you were in a terrorist attack. These are not good things.  And not things to be celebrated. Yes, we can applaud your heroism, and we do, but a true hero quietly walks away.  A true hero doesn't celebrate a tragedy as being one of the best things to ever happen to him.

Let's not forget what the underlying reason was for the actions that Alek and his friends took.  A band of vicious mass murderers attempted to kill a trainload (or more) of people.  

• Love 1

Alfonso is always in "announcer voice" so this time it was actually appropriate. Really underscores how valuable Tom is but Alfonso was a handy fill-in.

I 100% related to Nick's sadness over his dysfunctional family and as a kid always wanting that family you see on TV. I enjoyed his dance as a BSB dance but it was like being at their concert so it was cheap that he got to do this for scores. It's kind of like if Tamar did "Hip-hop" to one of her uptempo songs and recycled her choreo.

Speaking of Tamar, her dance was everything: technical, emotional, aesthetically and acoustically pleasing. That song of hers, "King", gorgeously accompanied the 10-worthy rumba they executed. I was annoyed at Julianne begrudgingly giving her a 9 but happily turning around to give them to Colten et al.

Bindi's package was ridiculously contrived with Derek's totally coincidental, spontaneous mention of the pinkie hand-holding and her accompanying photo of it w/ her dad. Her dance was good but not the best, just like all her dances have been, yet her scores are always top tier which exposes the show's agenda.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2

Watch SYTYCD and you can see the difference between Jazz and Contemporary.

I have no idea if it's accurate to what's considered jazz dance, I usually think of Bob Fosse. That kind of a detailed, almost gravity-defying body positions, angles and the most minute movements down to the simplest flick of a finger. 

Here's my most favorite routine of his. So powerful (and that song lifts me up and make want to dance even when I've had the crappiest day).

• Love 1

She didn't say anything like that. I just went back and rewatched it to be sure. She said she's never dwelt on the moment of his death, and that it took a long time to realize what it would mean for the rest of her life. But never that she hadn't mourned.

Correct. She said this:

"I've never really dwelled on that point when he did pass away. I think that I'm ready to kind of tell that story." 

She did cry a bit later while remembering him. Not every shed tear requires bringing in a team of grief counselors.

And I don't see any problem with the song choice either. I understand it was written about a possessive ex-lover but, as with all art, it can be interpreted in many ways. It does work as a straight up love song.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 4

Did Alek really say this in his intro package?

"My most memorable year is 2015. It's by far the best year I've had."  Then he talks about being deployed in Afghanistan and being on DWTS and "all the crazy things that have happened in between" and how going back to college got thrown out of the window because he's famous now and "and all the accolades and awards I've received and the year's not even over yet so it's by far the best year of my life."

Really Alek?  You were in a war and then you were in a terrorist attack. These are not good things.  And not things to be celebrated. Yes, we can applaud your heroism, and we do, but a true hero quietly walks away.  A true hero doesn't celebrate a tragedy as being one of the best things to ever happen to him.

Let's not forget what the underlying reason was for the actions that Alek and his friends took.  A band of vicious mass murderers attempted to kill a trainload (or more) of people.  

I thoroughly agree with you.  I responded more fully in his thread because this is my ongoing issue with him and it's not related just to this episode.

Whoever designed Erin Andrews' dress last night should never dress anyone again. When the design makes a tall, beautiful woman look bad, nobody else should wear it, either.

It looked like Wolverine took a swipe at it with his claws. Or else Freddy Krueger.

Really Alek?  You were in a war and then you were in a terrorist attack. These are not good things.

No but they were certainly memorable things. And all the accolades he received afterwards and being so honored were certainly good things. 

On the other hand, the (evil) cynical side of me thought "Wow, first the train you're on is attacked by a crazed gunman, then the school you attended is attacked by a crazed gunman. Is it something about you?"

• Love 2