Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: The Blind Auditions, Part 5

• Start Topic

Thanks so much for the cheat sheet updates, Paron Xanthis. But, wow, kudos to the editors for hiding how weak Gwen's team is in terms of being a popular choice. Nine of her 12 are only 1 or 2 chair turns! That's tough.  And the editing made Pharrell seem somehow much more successful than he was, too.  Still, both of them have some really standout singers and when you're talking about the shakeup of the battlerounds (where some of my favorites always, inevitably and sadly, get eliminated) they all have enough to make the lives with really great teams, if they choose well.

By the way, unpopular opinion, but on rewatching Victor, I'm not as impressed as the judges. Yes, he has the look and sound of a polished performer, but I've heard him three ttimes now and still can't remember anything that stood out about his singing in any way. He's certainly not one of my top 10, but I won't be surprised if he stays and many of them get eliminated.

Thanks so much for the cheat sheet updates, Paron Xanthis. But, wow, kudos to the editors for hiding how weak Gwen's team is in terms of being a popular choice. Nine of her 12 are only 1 or 2 chair turns! That's tough.  And the editing made Pharrell seem somehow much more successful than he was, too.  Still, both of them have some really standout singers and when you're talking about the shakeup of the battlerounds (where some of my favorites always, inevitably and sadly, get eliminated) they all have enough to make the lives with really great teams, if they choose well.

By the way, unpopular opinion, but on rewatching Victor, I'm not as impressed as the judges. Yes, he has the look and sound of a polished performer, but I've heard him three ttimes now and still can't remember anything that stood out about his singing in any way. He's certainly not one of my top 10, but I won't be surprised if he stays and many of them get eliminated.

I agree with you on Viktor. I find him to be pretty forgettable.  It will be interesting to see if the powers that be pair up several good people to even out the teams.  Viktor could be stolen if he faces someone better in the battle rounds.

I really liked Shelby. 

...agree with all those who said this season's is Adam's to lose.  Although, you just never know.  A dark horse coulde come from any of the other teams.  Blake definately has the 2nd best team, but Pharrell has a few really good ones.

I also think that Adam has the strongest team overall.  But the other teams have good ones too and it only takes one of them to win.

Yes and as we saw from Season 7 having more of your team make it to the finals does not necessarily help your chances of winning.  I think Matt McAndrew would have had a much better chance of winning if Chris Jamison was not also in the finals and also from Team Adam.  Anyone voting based on coach would end up splitting votes. 

(Yes I know that if it were a random draw Team Adam had a 3/4 chance while Team Blake only had a 1/4 chance but it wasn't a random draw. It was voting and no matter what people say- people often vote along party lines so having multiple choices from the same party can cause that party to lose a tight race.)

• Love 1

Hearing "Stars" reminded me of Amanda Brown's version in season 3.  It was a great performance and also a great song choice by Adam.  

So I can't quite break my Voice habit.  Didn't watch the episodes but listened to all the blinds on YouTube (no backstories, very limited coach comments).  My random observations:

-a lot more country folks than average.  Strategy-wise, it makes sense to see some choose Adam over Blake.  Blake can only advance so many people. Also the two country contestants who did choose Adam weren't really singing straight country songs. By the way, has Blake done much with his post-season 4 country contestants? 

-what's the shorthand for white females with guitars? There are a fair share of female indie/singer-songwriter types this season.  

-the coaches seem to be quite playful this season.  They were frequently laughing at each other and hitting their buttons at the same time.  

My early faves are Amy and the twins.

4 chairs: Adam Jordan, James, Manny, Viktor, Andi & Alex, Shelby (6)

Blake Barrett, Joe, Chris, Krista, Cole, Dustin (6)

Gwen Lyndsey (1)

Pharrell Mark, Evan (2)

3 chairs: Adam Amanda (1)

Blake Zach (1)

Gwen Kota, Ellie (2)

Pharrell Siahna, Daria, Darius, Amy (4)

Normal spread.

Cole was a 3-chair turn for Blake's team.  

Pharrell's weakness in 4-chair turns is interesting...he had been quite competitive in the past. I guess the contestants weren't that impressed with his coaching abilities over the past couple of seasons. 

That's true enough. It certainly was a mistake in song choice as it doesn't favour her vocal ability at all. I wouldn't be so sure that Pharrell does choose her though if she clearly loses the battle as he's been known to edge towards the clear cut winners. If this was Adam or Blake we were talking about it wouldn't even be a discussion because they don't even pretend to be fair. They know who they want and that's that. Pharrell is a lot more about gut feeling in that instant even if that gut feeling makes him pick singers that have no shot in the live shows.

I remember Pharrell clearly showing favoritism in the past...choosing Elyjuh (sp?) in the knockouts as one example. Also other questionable decisions that season.

I also think that Adam has the strongest team overall.  But the other teams have good ones too and it only takes one of them to win.

Adam may have the strongest team for the moment, but there will be eliminations and steals.

• Love 1

Looking it over, I'm not feeling Adam's team is the strongest for me, although I think Gwen's is the weakest.

My top 5 are (in order)

Krista  (Team Blake)

Evan (Team Pharrell)

Amy (Team Pharrell)

Shelby (Team Adam)

Jeffrey (Team Gwen) - kind of short on charisma so far, but one of the best voices

Looking forward to two things...the end of Gwen's stupid hairdo and Brad Paisley!!!  Looks like Blake will be using him as some sort of mentor in the battles.  I'm a fan.

Yes!!!  I love Brad Paisley.  His songs might not be to everyone's taste, but the man is an incredible musician and I happen to love his voice.  He also seems like the nicest honest guy on the planet.  AND he knows music other than country.  My absolute favorite performance of his is here, with John Mayer at 17:38 (Brad comes in at 19:23)

Actually, the entire Crossroads special of the two of them is the main reason I hated to give up my DVR.

I don't think I know anyone's name yet, but I think there are quite a few more singers who have genuine heart than previous seasons.  I was not a fan of the "affected" voices, or of the powerhouse divas.

I also think that the kids this season are a more interesting group than usual, and that the more seasoned singers have less of a desperate vibe.  It's a more even mix, as I get tired of the extremes (Danielle, Craig Wayne Boyd).