Type keyword(s) to search

Past Episodes: Chicken 100 Ways, Jeffrey, and Hampton Elite

• Start Topic

I rarely eat salmon but when I do, it needs to be cooked through (and as fresh & mild as I can find). However, I've tried tuna and if it's grilled in an Asian restaurant (with those wonderful soy based dips), it's really good.  I was shocked that I liked it.  The "rare" section in the center has the same texture as rare steak--smooth and flavorful (not wet and slimey). But I'm careful where I order tuna (it's a rare occasion too).

Now, cilantro is a puzzle.  Years ago I was eating one of those Lean Cuisines and it must have had cilantro in it.  I wondered why the food tasted like soap. So I avoided cilantro like the plague for years. I heard there was a certain percentage of people who taste soap when eating cilantro. Then, when we started dining at Thai restaurants (or ordering pho at Vietnamese), I discovered that fresh cilantro tossed into foods (w/o getting cooked) can be quite delicious. I don't use it a lot...just for certain dishes and for salsas.

I can relate. Cilantro tastes like soap for me too. At first, I actually thought some liquid soap had somehow been dumped or drizzled on whatever it was I was eating - a salad or sandwich I think. Yuck. So distasteful I never tried it again.

Oh my.  I had heard about the episode in which Ina creates a centerpiece out of assorted tools because she's making lunch for a construction crew, but I had never seen it until I happened to go around the dial at just the right time while eating lunch.  That looked even more ridiculous than it had ever sounded. 

• Love 5

I saw that episode back when it was first broadcast, and I didn't think the table decor was ridiculous.  I though it was a sweet and funny nod to the men's work, and I'd be willing to bet they got a good chuckle out of it.  Or at least the ones with a sense of humor did, and I've hardly ever met a guy who works construction who doesn't have a sense of humor.  It's not the kind of job that breeds pretentiousness.

Rather than a chuckle, I'd be more inclined to suspect they'd have had a bit of a laugh at her expense over the twee "you work with tools, so I'll arrange some on the table while feeding you" centerpiece had any of it been real, but, yes, there is every chance they're more charitable than I am.

• Love 2

My reaction would've been that it was funny and sweet and well-intentioned and that Ina was aware that it was simultaneously silly.  I don't see any of those guys laughing at her behind her back for something like those centerpieces. But different strokes and all that.

• Love 1

My reaction when I saw that episode was thank God she wasn't entertaining gynecologists. No telling what the decor would be. She did a similar thing when her house or barn was completed. She threw a party for the architects and for dessert, she served a measly short bread cookie shaped like a hammer. Very poor form for a women who makes a huge pan of a pecan squares for a lunch with her Michael, her florist. Let's not forget how she dragged out her Kitchen Aid mixer bowl for the auction guests to assemble their own desserts.

• Love 1

I managed to DVR a Season 1 episode this week -- the breakfast where Eli Zabar comes over. The potato-basil frittata looks good. MrChicklet came in while I was watching and was appalled by the lighting and camera work (he is a photography hobbyist). But he wants me to make the frittata. And the scones.

• Love 1

Sapphire Anniversary Dinner - Did Ina really ask, "Is the grits good?"

I'm reading This Town (book club selection for April) and the author mentioned that the late Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill, while traveling in SC, wanted to see "a grit".  Funny!  But O'Neill was an old Bostonian, probably not much more than a meat & potatoes guy, so he could get away with this.  Now Ina, being a well traveled, long time cooking professional, should've known better.  So maybe it was a verbal stumble :>)

• Love 2

Awww, did Ina really say this?  LOL  I've been sitting here daydreaming, trying to think of a way to defend her, but my defenses are pretty weak.  It's a funny language we speak.  All of those puffy, white pieces are called popcorn, not popcorns, yet with grits, we don't say grit.  Even with an entire basket of corn, we say that the corn is picked, not corns.  Corns are for the feet.  But Ina is a food person.  Surely, she's heard of grits!  (Hasn't she?)  :)

• Love 1

Had to laugh at Episode 10 from Season 16, Ina used store bought jarred sauce, lol.  I thought that was deemed a cardinal sin when other show hosts have done it.  

She also microwaved popcorn!  Too funny!!

• Love 1

We're visiting family in St. Petersburg, FL and for the first time since we got here I tuned into FN to watch Ina (been watching Create the rest of the time). My 3 1/2 year old grandson loves watching cooking shows with me. He made the comment that "she puts salt and pepper on everything!" - lol. She made onion rings, which he'd never had, so we ordered some. He decided he liked them.

• Love 2

Had to laugh at Episode 10 from Season 16, Ina used store bought jarred sauce, lol.  I thought that was deemed a cardinal sin when other show hosts have done it.  

She also microwaved popcorn!  Too funny!!

She uses Rao's jarred sauce which is a very famous, small italian restaurant in NYC...I use it in a pinch as well...one jar usually costs around $12-13 and well worth it! It is farm from a Ragu type sauce

http://www.raos.com/premium-sauce-cases

• Love 3

Most of the time I think there's no one more endearing on Ina's show than Michael "The Florist" Grimm.  Today's treat was the episode of Ina teaching Michael how to make a pie and Michael teaching Ina how to make a hedge of flowers down the center of a long table.  Michael's hedge, done in pink and white flowers, was stunning.  Just think:  He once made one that was 70 feet long for a wedding dinner!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

I recently watched an episode from the dreaded "Ask Ina" era, in which Ina declared that all of the featured questions were going to be about vegetables.  The subject of the first question: avocado.  Really?  Not one single person among the many with a say in the episode's production knew the avocado is a fruit?

I was hoping my hearing just randomly dropped out for a second and she really said "fruits and vegetables," but I don't think it did (and every other question was, indeed, about a vegetable).

In my experience, people are quite particular about how they like their guacamole.  I certainly am.  I'm fine with mashed rather than chunky, but if you make it creamy (especially if you do so by adding mayo or sour cream), I'm not eating it.  I don't prefer tomatoes in it, but I can hang so long as the tomatoes are in season.  I like chunky avocado with minced garlic, jalapeño or serrano peppers, and cilantro.  A little spritz of lime juice.  No salt; I get that from the tortilla chips.

• Love 1

I like a little chunkiness, I usually mash 2/3 of the avocadoes, and then chop the rest.  I like mine with red onion, jalapeno, salt, lime juice, and cilantrom, NO GARLIC.  I'll throw tomatoes in there if they are in season.  I also add a bit of Fruit Fresh to help with the avocado browning.  Another thing no one tells you is that guacamole NEEDS a few hours for the flavors to come together, because everyone is so terrified of it turning brown.  Just put plastic wrap down onto the surface and you should be fine if you're serving the same day-I've literally never had it turn brown on me within about 6 hours of serving it.  But definitely make it at least 2 hours in advance.  I promise you, it makes a difference-plus you can better adjust seasoning at that point, too!

Also, I'm obsessed with avocado toast if you really love avocadoes.  Mash or slice a half avocado, spread or place on one slice of whole grain toasted bread, sprinkle with sea salt and drizzle with really good olive oil and voila!  Best breakfast ever!  You can also add eggs for protein, or sriracha/hot sauce for heat, pomegranate seeds for a burst of sweet freshness.  It's sooooooo good and so good for you!

• Love 1
(edited)

I never have a problem with browning, either (like you, I let the ingredients hang out together for a couple of hours before eating/serving it).  I just put the pit(s) in the guacamole for good measure, and tightly cover with plastic wrap.

I watched an episode yesterday, previously recorded that had Ina helping another lady with making potato salad at a Rescue Squad building in the Hamptons. There were ribs out the wazoo, huge bowls of that potato salad, along with huge bowls of other salads that were not highlighted. I really wanted to know what the other salads were.

At least the salads existed even if they weren't shown; it always stands out to me that Ina will present a full meal, with no green salad in sight when we see the table.  I don't expect making a mixed-greens salad to be part of the episodes, but as someone who has a side salad with every dinner, it's odd for me to look at a dinner table and not see one, time and again.

I'm pretty much swimming in tomatoes right now (note: that is not a complaint!) and the episode with capellini with tomatoes and basil was on this weekend, which reminded me that would be a good way to use the grape tomatoes.  I think I'll make that tonight, with angel hair pasta instead since that's what I have (I don't eat a lot of thin pasta, so it's not always on hand).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

As someone who was a produce farmer and who created a farmers market in SE Michigan I can say we always had tomatoes left over....I did love the little sunsugars (orange ones) the best...but my leftover tomatoes I made these for lunch and snack all the time

http://www.jocooks.com/main-courses/vegeterian/baked-parmesan-tomatoes/

http://www.thecookierookie.com/tomato-goat-cheese-dip/

I don't cook Shrimp because anything from the water just grosses me out (sorrym but true) but there are SO many tomatoes...and can those babies!!! Go to Pinterest and do a search...your mind will be blown!

Edited by autumnh
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Wow, Autumnh, those recipes look delish...especially the dip! Can't wait to try it!

Spunky, go to Pinterest...there are SO many recipes/canning ideas.....you'll never run out! Let me know how you like it! the goat cheese dip? approach with caution....*I* could east it all at one time lol

Autumnh, I can with my mom every year and love creating new pickles and jams and trying out new ideas!  We had insane tomatoes this year, literally dripping from the vine, and canned last weekend.  We also had a crazy cucumber crop, we've made 4 kinds of pickles and two relishes, and they're still coming!  Gah!  Lots of pickle gifts for friends this year, I suppose!!

On 8/7/2016 at 5:05 PM, tvchick said:

I have a few suggestions:

Mario Batali's version

Tim Love's version

Guacamole is easy.  Make sure that you have perfectly ripe avocadoes and mash with salt. I like to add minced jalapeños or serranoes, lime juice and cilantro.  If you make it ahead, put some plastic wrap directly on the guac before refrigerating.

I'm one of those freaks who hates cilantro, so I basically make this recipe, but instead of cilantro I use flat leaf parsley.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

Me too. Just like Ina, I really dislike the taste of cilantro and never buy or use it. Guess it's just individual taste.

From what I've read, it's genetic. If you have a certain gene, it tastes like soap.

• Love 1

I used to hate it and agree, it reminded me of soap.  And then I started going to Thai & Vietnamese restaurants where it was tossed, fresh, into pho and other dishes and you squirt lime onto the whole thing and all of a sudden it started tasting really good.  So I still don't like it really cooked into a dish but tossed in at the last minute is good.

The Berkshires special was on today.  I was very interested in watching it since I have never seen it before, but the first thing Ina does is assemble another cheese platter.  A bunch of grapes (for height), fig leaves, a soft cheese, a hard cheese, a blue cheese, crackers...  we get it already. Zzzz. 

• Love 1
On 12/17/2016 at 1:04 PM, LilaFowler said:

The Berkshires special was on today.  I was very interested in watching it since I have never seen it before, but the first thing Ina does is assemble another cheese platter.  A bunch of grapes (for height), fig leaves, a soft cheese, a hard cheese, a blue cheese, crackers...  we get it already. Zzzz. 

That's the interesting thing about Ina's show to me. She's such a good teacher, and one of her tenets is to riff on the same 10 dishes, basically. I guess it's hard to push that idea to your viewers but not do it yourself. After 24 seasons, I'm not surprised to see the same ideas come up again, though I agree, they're a little boring at this point. On the other hand, Ina's probably reaching a new generation of cooks who haven't seen her old shows, and they aren't in heavy rotation like they used to be.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, huahaha said:

On the other hand, Ina's probably reaching a new generation of cooks who haven't seen her old shows, and they aren't in heavy rotation like they used to be.

That's the positive on seeing the cheese board over & over again.  There are a lot of people who haven't seen all of her shows the way we have, so learning how to prepare a cheese board is a learning experience.  I personally love the fruit platters & can watch her build them over & over again...doesn't bother me!  Hers always look better than mine anyway but mine have improved thanks to Ina's artistry (especially adding the bunches of fresh mint or fresh basil to a platter of whatever...that really looks good, even on my platters!)

• Love 5

When I think of Ina's platters, my mind always goes back to the one she created for Eli and his wife.  I thought it was stunning, especially the way Ina cut and arranged the fruit.  She seems able to put a platter together in no time.  Maybe she's made a lot of them for catering jobs or at the store, and it's second nature to her.  I also remember that episode because it was the first time I ever heard the expression "a dog's breakfast."  My husband overheard her and still uses the expression from time to time.

The salmon platter that Ina arranged for the college girls (?) wasn't too shabby, either.  She definitely has the knack.

• Love 2

@Lura, the first time I ever heard "a dog's breakfast " was from Two Fat Ladies. Goodness how I miss that show and those two darling women. I may have to see if I can find them on DVD. Also the fIrst time I had heard of bubble and squeak, kedgeree (sp?), and other British traditional food. 

ETA: yay for YouTube! Found Two Fat Ladies!!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 3

It's too bad that the Fat Ladies were on before Ina's time.  I think it would have been a hoot to see them all together cooking.  Maybe Ina could have ridden in Jennifer's side car of her motorcycle.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, ariel said:

It's too bad that the Fat Ladies were on before Ina's time.  I think it would have been a hoot to see them all together cooking.  Maybe Ina could have ridden in Jennifer's side car of her motorcycle.

Lol. I would have paid extra to see that!

• Love 1

I love her flowers too - just the idea of keep the color of different flowers the same, in many examples she does. No need to go to a florist - a grocery store can often provide that service. Or even simple flowers of the same kind in several vases arranged around the table.

And her simple table arrangements with linens, silverware, plates and glasses. And white serving platters.  Great gifts for brides - or single women starting out.

• Love 4
On 1/5/2017 at 9:31 PM, maggiemae said:

I love her flowers too - just the idea of keep the color of different flowers the same, in many examples she does. No need to go to a florist - a grocery store can often provide that service. Or even simple flowers of the same kind in several vases arranged around the table.

And her simple table arrangements with linens, silverware, plates and glasses. And white serving platters.  Great gifts for brides - or single women starting out.

As an ex florist I love her one color arrangements. As an ex florist it absolutely drives me nuts that she doesn't remove the leaves from the stems before placing them in water. Nothing makes the water turn murky and stinky like leaving leaves submerged in water.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

it absolutely drives me nuts that she doesn't remove the leaves from the stems before placing them in water. Nothing makes the water turn murky and stinky like leaving leaves submerged in water.

That makes me twitch whenever I see it, too.  Flowers 101.

• Love 2