Type keyword(s) to search

Past Episodes: Chicken 100 Ways, Jeffrey, and Hampton Elite

• Start Topic

Oh, can you imagine if that happened at Ina's?  She be all a-titter, laughing, jumping up proclaiming she just has to get back to the kitchen for one last special surprise - don't have fun without me!  And then she'd quietly pound 4 pomegranate cosmos.

You said, "a-titter"! All right, my 5th grade self just got put in a time-out ...

• Love 1

Do Ina and Jeffrey have kids?

As far as I (and wikipedia) know they do not, although they have been together for over 40 years. I guess that was just not happening for them. No judgement.

I also always hated the old title at another site "whale pants".

Other more avid Ina viewers can correct me if I am wrong on this, but I always thought the "whale pants" referred to an article of clothing worn by one of her guests which looked something like this:

outer

http://www.nantucketreds.com/products/copy-of-nantucket-red-collection-mens-plain-front-pants-nantucket-red-1

Ina is sometimes gently chided by her fans for wearing "flood water" pants. Meaning that they a hemmed well above the ankle, which many of us shorter and stouter ladies can attest is not always a flattering look.

I understand people being uncomfortable around kids, although I happen to like the little buggers!

She however chooses to have them on her show and even highlighted at times. That confuses me. She really seems to enjoy young adults though which shows a charming side of her.

Edited by CheeseBurgh

I also always hated the old title at another site "whale pants".

Other more avid Ina viewers can correct me if I am wrong on this, but I always thought the "whale pants" referred to an article of clothing worn by one of her guests which looked something like this

Mousie, I believe you are correct. When we talked about Whale Pants on the old TwoP boards, it was in reference to a man who wore almost those very pants on an old episode.

• Love 1

"Whale Pants" and his baby-voiced wife had the winning bid for lunch with Ina at a charity auction in the Hamptons, years ago.  Actually, they were a good looking young couple who lived in one of those gorgeous brown shingled huge summer houses near the beach.

I'm sort of immune to the "shents" now and don't really notice them when watching the show.  But any time we see her legs in those flood water pants (e.g. when she's out picking something from the garden, a long shot when she's walking somewhere), I am so distracted!  If she insists on wearing those things, I wish they'd only shoot her from the waist up.

• Love 2

ok I love Ina but I just saw the re-run where she has friends over for bridge and makes sliders and corn salad. Talk about phoning it in and filler- she defined "sliders" 5 TIMES! (small hamburgers). Like who doesn't know that - 5 TIMES!  Then she was clearly mocking the whole cooking show vibe by saying to her friend "These are going to be the juicest, most delicious sliders that anyone has ever had!"  She was almost openly laughing while she said it.  I wonder when that one is from- she seems kinda over it but I still rather watch her than almost anyone else!

I'm with you on having zero inclination to spend time around kids, Bastet. In fact, I once started to invite my in-laws for Christmas before realizing that would put several small children in my house. It baffles me, as well, why Ina features children in her show when she shows so little interest in or understanding of them. I wonder if it is because FN has those asinine weekends on cooking with kids and they f
  • orce her into the format? Just makes no sense to me.

jcbrown, I really have no idea, but I think the FN might "strongly suggest" the idea to Ina, as you said.  Another possibility might be that Ina or her producers may think about all the young mommies in the audience and do a show catered to their lifestyles.  I don't especially enjoy the kids' shows even though I love kids, but I'm only one viewer. 

Remember the episode with the two spooky little redheaded sisters, whose mother owned a kiddie store in NYC?  I hated that one after I saw it, but every time I saw a rerun, it got funnier and funnier to me.  Now, I consider it to be high comedy, and I'd pay to see it again!  lol  After all the candy they'd downed, Ina sent them home with big bags of candy to eat in the car!  I'll bet those girls never came back to earth for a week!

Edited by Lura

The only kid's episode I remember Ina even remotely being comfortable in was the one where she made that gigantic pink birthday cake. But that may have been because the kid's table was on a completely different part of the property.

While watching Barefoot in Paris, I realized that Ina has a habit of romanticizing France and attributing things to France that aren't exclusively French, For example; flowers. She went on and on about her floral arrangement being French when it was just flowers in a vase, I really didn't understand what was so French about it.

• Love 1

You make a very good point, I think, WhitneyWhit.  "Marianne's" method of forming a bouquet is standard and has nothing to do with Paris or France.  I think that Ina has been in love with France ever since her grandparents brought her a white dress when they visited Paris.  Maybe we're all that way to a certain extent.  When I visit England, I come home and make cucumber sandwiches, and I think they're English when, in fact, American farmers have probably eaten them for eons.  The same is true for a "Spanish" omelet and an "Austrian" pastry.  I have to try them, and I never stop to think that they're not exclusive to those countries.  At least they get Ina and me into our kitchens to try to make something different!   Ina can butcher the French language, but at least she tries to speak it, rather than shy away from it because it's imperfect.  It's embarrassing when you struggle to find the right word in their native tongue, and a shopkeeper helps you out in English!  lol  Ina does romanticize France and anything French, and sometimes I could roll my eyes, but look at the fun she's having!

• Love 2

I caught the last 15 minutes or so of the "Baking Pies with Michael" episode.  Wowza, that was some elaborate centerpiece!  Did they mention in the beginning what that table was for?  Surely not to just eat pies?

I do love to see Michael, though.  He seems like a really nice guy and he and Ina are clearly real life friends.

I don't think the centerpiece was for anything in particular. The episode started off with Ina talking about the centerpiece that Michael had made for a wedding and showing off pictures of it. She said he was going to show her how it was made, then he showed up with the flowers and did just that. At the time, I thought it would have made more sense if maybe he just did one section, then explained how it all fit together. It seemed like a terrible waste of flowers.

Why is it a waste of flowers?  The two of them enjoyed it, people seeing it on tv presumably enjoyed it.... I don't need an occasion to have flowers in my house, just for my pleasure. Even expensive ones.

Why is it a waste of flowers?  The two of them enjoyed it, people seeing it on tv presumably enjoyed it.... I don't need an occasion to have flowers in my house, just for my pleasure. Even expensive ones.

I enjoy flowers for my pleasure too.  But that was soooo many of them to dress a table at which no one was (apparently) going to sit and enjoy them.  It just seemed wasteful.

Was that the one where the flowers are put together to form a strip down the center of an entire rectangular table?  I thought that looked really pretty from above, but I doubt I'd like it if I was sitting there -- it took up a lot of room, and I do not want that much floral scent around my food.

I love those kinds of centerpieces, but I would like Ina to know that even if I buy fresh flowers at a really great wholesale flower joint in my neck of the woods, I could still never afford anything past 1-2' long.  And I'm not poor.

I just watched the pie/flowers episode. Michael made 6 arrangements, so I'm thinking everyone in the crew got to go home with one. And he specifically said not to use flowers with a smell, so as not to compete with the food. I did see him put in roses, and last I remember, roses had an odor. Is there a non-odor rose?

There is a lot of waste in the production of any cooking show, so I always hope the crew or somebody got to eat the prepared food, take the flowers home, or whatever. I can see making a huge centerpiece like that for a wedding or banquet, and maybe the fact that it's made in sections would mean that multiple people could take parts of it home.

• Love 1

I don't think that it is a waste of flowers in reality. As noted, the whole tv audience was able to enjoy them and learn how arrangement was made and the production crew probably got to take sections home.

But it is the TV illusion that makes it seem wasteful. The pretense that "Michael is coming over to show me how to make a centerpiece and I'm making lunch". The illusion that someone would show up with hundreds and hundreds of dollars of flowers and hours of free time. Actually it is work for both of them and the Tv show paid for the flowers for our enjoyment.

But it is a "good" tv show!

• Love 2

I don't think that it is a waste of flowers in reality. As noted, the whole tv audience was able to enjoy them and learn how arrangement was made and the production crew probably got to take sections home.

But it is the TV illusion that makes it seem wasteful. The pretense that "Michael is coming over to show me how to make a centerpiece and I'm making lunch". The illusion that someone would show up with hundreds and hundreds of dollars of flowers and hours of free time. Actually it is work for both of them and the Tv show paid for the flowers for our enjoyment.

But it is a "good" tv show!

Exactly.  Within the fiction of the show, to create a centerpiece that elaborate and large for a table seating no one, seems wasteful and silly.  Just as if Ina had declared that it was just her and Jeffrey for dinner but she was roasting two 22 pound turkeys would seem wasteful and silly.  I have no doubt that everything she makes on her show goes to the crew and she's never actually preparing dinner for herself and Jeffrey.

I'm not so worried about those flowers going to waste. I know a writer who is friends with a chef and when he's invited to the set of a shoot he gets to eat some of the food when they're done. People are offered it before it's just tossed. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be the same with flowers.

IIRC Ina visited France when Jeffrey was in Paris during the Vietnam War. They were young newlyweds and in love and it was a very special time for her. It also opened her eyes to the way the French eat and that's when she discovered Julia child. No wonder it has a special place in her heart and is perhaps idealized. Unless I've recalled this all incorrectly - lol.

• Love 2

There is a lot of waste in the production of any cooking show, so I always hope the crew or somebody got to eat the prepared food, take the flowers home, or whatever. I can see making a huge centerpiece like that for a wedding or banquet, and maybe the fact that it's made in sections would mean that multiple people could take parts of it home.

Believe me, they do! Especially if the food is good... ;-) There was an article I read on a food stylist/chef assistant who worked on the set of a cooking show where she spoke about how they prepped food, etc. Usually they make two or three of the same dish for different shots and most of it is consumed by the crew. Plus those recipes are tested before hand (save Sandra Lee...BLEGH).

• Love 2

I would work for free on Barefoot Contess, as long as I got to eat the food.

Love this!  Just today I was thinking that if I ever win Powerball, I'd attend that auction and make sure I win a meal at Ina's (and maybe turn it into a little private cooking class ;>)

• Love 2
Just today I was thinking that if I ever win Powerball, I'd attend that auction and make sure I win a meal at Ina's (and maybe turn it into a little private cooking class ;>)

Not to take away anyone's fun, but if I won Powerball, I'd invest in a meal cooked by Anna Pump.  Anna and Eli Zabar have both been mentors of Ina's, and several of Ina's recipes originated from Anna's recipes.  Her Sagaponac Corn Chowder and her Coeur la Crème are two that come to mind.  Ina frequently buys desserts from Anna's Loaves and Fishes.  If I were going to Long Island for a stay, I'd enroll in the cooking classes that Anna and her daughter offer.  I think I'd get more of my money's worth, too, without having to support a local charity.  I have both of Anna's cookbooks, and her dishes are similar to Ina's (or Ina's are similar to hers).

I may have mentioned this before, but I have a special place in my heart for Anna.  I had her second cookbook, but her first one was out of print and unavailable anywhere online.  I wrote her an email asking whether she might have a few of them left over and told her about my search.  Her grandson read my email and forwarded it to Anna, who was vacationing in Europe.  Anna wrote back that she only had her own personal copy of it, but that I could have it!  I was flabbergasted and told her so, but she insisted.  The recipes in it are treasures to me.  I think of Anna as the "original" Barefoot Contessa without the connections that Ina had to make her name known around the world.  She's a fantastic cook and baker!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

I really think most of Ina's recipes are much more realistic than those of Giada, so therefore I like Ina's show much more. But two things bug the heck out of me. The first thing is that, IMHO, she undercooks chicken far too often. In the cooking classes I've taken, the number one rule is that when you cut into the chicken you should never see punk meat or any kind of blood. So many times I've seen just that with her chicken shows. Besides that, the other day she was roasting a 15lb stuffed turkey and cooked it for only 2 1/2 hours. That's far too short a time, especially for a stuffed bird.

The other thing is that whenever she's with other people on her show, she can't complete a sentence without giggling. She's been on TV far too long, so it shouldn't be nervousness, so it's probably more of a bad habit.

I really think most of Ina's recipes are much more realistic than those of Giada, so therefore I like Ina's show much more. But two things bug the heck out of me. The first thing is that, IMHO, she undercooks chicken far too often. In the cooking classes I've taken, the number one rule is that when you cut into the chicken you should never see punk meat or any kind of blood. So many times I've seen just that with her chicken shows. Besides that, the other day she was roasting a 15lb stuffed turkey and cooked it for only 2 1/2 hours. That's far too short a time, especially for a stuffed bird.

The other thing is that whenever she's with other people on her show, she can't complete a sentence without giggling. She's been on TV far too long, so it shouldn't be nervousness, so it's probably more of a bad habit.

I know undercooking is fine with baking since the heat within will continue the process, but not meat. I don't eat meat anymore but I have seen people with pinky birds. My cousin openly admitted she doesn't like her chicken "blanch white". I mean, you have people who eat beef tartare like its ice cream...coppery, raw tasting ice cream. Gross.

...The first thing is that, IMHO, she undercooks chicken far too often. In the cooking classes I've taken, the number one rule is that when you cut into the chicken you should never see punk meat or any kind of blood. So many times I've seen just that with her chicken shows. Besides that, the other day she was roasting a 15lb stuffed turkey and cooked it for only 2 1/2 hours. That's far too short a time, especially for a stuffed bird.

This is something that has bothered me about the BC show for years.  Whenever she cuts into a roast chicken, I always see red and it grosses me out big time! Now, this may be something they do in order to tape the show (within a certain limited timespan), but if so, it's totally unprofessional of Ina to let viewers think that it's ok to eat a roast chicken that exudes pink liquid when sliced. Blech!

• Love 1

Damn self correcting Apple products. Of course it's PINK meat LOL

I know your pain. I have to fight with my phone sometimes just to get it to like, not tell me I'm trying to say macaroni when I'm trying to write maybe.

Edited by BathKol
  • Love 2

The first thing is that, IMHO, she undercooks chicken far too often.

I don't believe she under cooks chicken or turkey.  If the unstuffed bird is 165 F (some will argue 160) in the thickest part of the thigh, and the bird rests allowing for carryover cooking, it's not a salmonella risk.  People get unnecessarily skeeved when they see a little pink pigmentation, especially near the bone, which is not related to under cooking.  The worst tragedy is how much people still overcook pork.  I almost cry when I see a well done pork loin.  Might as well use it for a door stop.  :-)

• Love 6

Amen, anneofcleaves.  I've certainly not seen every episode, but in those I've seen, Ina's chicken looks as mine does when I cut into it (I aim for a final internal temp of 165).  Chicken and shrimp are things that I do not want cooked a minute past the minimum temperature, because they go from perfect to "ugh, this is overcooked" that quickly. 

I know temperature recommendations have gone down over the years (thank heavens), but it's really funny to see how much -- my fantastic GE stove from the '50s has an integrated meat thermometer and next to the dial showing the temp, it has a list of internal temperatures for turkey, beef - rare, beef - medium, and so forth, and if I followed those temps, not knowing they were outdated, I would not eat a damn thing that came out of my oven.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

What makes me want to heave just looking at it is "seared" salmon or tuna.  It seems to be in fashion now both for chefs and even some diners, but I cannot get past it.  When Ina gets her iron skillet nearly white hot, then  lays into it a thick salmon steak, sears it for two minutes and flips it over for another two, then serves it, I cannot stand the looks (or the thought of eating) all of that raw fish in the middle.  I don't eat sushi, so I  don't want raw fish in the middle of my cooked fish!  The best salmon I've ever eaten was at a restaurant, done over an outdoor BBQ.  It was cooked through and had that wonderful charcoal flavor, but it was moist and delectable.  For me, it was perfection.  Don't sear my fish; cook it!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3

I'm with you Lura. We have grilled salmon once a week, and if it isn't cooked through, I send it back to the grill. I know so many chefs/cooks say it's terrible to over cook tuna, I never order when we eat out. I like my food cooked and hot.

(edited)

I won't eat sushi, but I also won't eat tuna that has been so overcooked the whole thing has turned white.  I want it like I want my beef -- seared on both sides, but red in the middle.  I cook salmon like that, too.  For all my issues with Ina, how she cooks various meats/fish are not among them.  I even like her "undercooked" eggs. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Oh, bring me all of your seared tuna and salmon. Yum. But Ina can keep the barely coagulated eggs. I've come a long way in getting to appreciate eggs, and can even enjoy them soft-scrambled and sunny side up now, but her scrambled eggs look like they should be served in a bowl with a spoon.

Food preferences are so interesting, and individual. Let's talk cilantro!

• Love 2

I am on the "cook my food all the way through" bandwagon. The thought of eating a little layer of cooked salmon surrounding a chunk of raw salmon makes me gag. If I order it in a restaurant, I always ask for it well done. If they balk, I order something else.

I like my eggs cooked all the way through. My son likes sunny-side-up with liquid yolks. I will fix them for him, but I won't eat them.

I also like cilantro. Go figure.

I rarely eat salmon but when I do, it needs to be cooked through (and as fresh & mild as I can find). However, I've tried tuna and if it's grilled in an Asian restaurant (with those wonderful soy based dips), it's really good.  I was shocked that I liked it.  The "rare" section in the center has the same texture as rare steak--smooth and flavorful (not wet and slimey). But I'm careful where I order tuna (it's a rare occasion too).

Now, cilantro is a puzzle.  Years ago I was eating one of those Lean Cuisines and it must have had cilantro in it.  I wondered why the food tasted like soap. So I avoided cilantro like the plague for years. I heard there was a certain percentage of people who taste soap when eating cilantro. Then, when we started dining at Thai restaurants (or ordering pho at Vietnamese), I discovered that fresh cilantro tossed into foods (w/o getting cooked) can be quite delicious. I don't use it a lot...just for certain dishes and for salsas.

Sometime, I must try a sprig of cilantro by itself.  While I have eaten it many times, I am completely unfamiliar with its taste.  I suppose I have always thought of it as "another parsley" and eaten it without thinking.