Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

IThere was no "the role of Nina is now being played by..." announcement. Does that happen now only for temp recasts?

Ugh, are we going to have to watch Kim mope every time she's reminded of Oscar? Because that's going to be everything, and that's going to be a bore.

Did Curtis say her name when she showed up in the hospital? I spent almost all of that scene trying to figure out who in the heck he was talking to. "The role of . . ." announcement sure would have been helpful there.

I know that losing a child is a terrible thing, but she's been moping for too long in soap time. Seeing Oscar among the stars is close to the same level of awful as being told all the things that Morgan loved.  And, please, please, please writers, let Julian talk Kim out of having a baby to replace Oscar. 

• Love 4

Any day with Genie and Jax is a good day in my book. These actors are so natural and easy with each other. Thank you whoever you are who brought these great actors back to GH!

• Love 7

Cynthia Watros didn’t even get a dramatic elevator door or coming down a stairway entry. She sorta shuffled into the scene. It’s not her fault but that was horrible writing & directing on GH part. They go through the trouble recasting a name and a horrible introduction.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, jsbt said:

I don't know of any dud soap character that has been flipped and made a winner after six years (and still more bad writing)

Good god, has she really been here that long?

Love your name for her.

• LOL 1
22 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Cynthia Watros didn’t even get a dramatic elevator door or coming down a stairway entry. She sorta shuffled into the scene. It’s not her fault but that was horrible writing & directing on GH part. They go through the trouble recasting a name and a horrible introduction.  

It was pretty jarring, mainly because CW is a very different type of actress than whatsherface with the flailing and whatever. It took me a while to understand it was Nina even though I knew it was Nina.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Just about six though, hasn't it?

No, I think she started in late May or June . . . she had the first super brief appearance in April I think  to show Nina was played by Stafford and then she didn't pop back up for a month.

28 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

It was pretty jarring, mainly because CW is a very different type of actress than whatsherface with the flailing and whatever. It took me a while to understand it was Nina even though I knew it was Nina.

Yeah, she defiantly played Nina her way. There was no mugging and smiling an inch from their other actors face. I was even taken aback that her first scene was with Curtis. That said, she was very calm and subdued. A nice change of pace. I’m sure the crazy will come later. You don’t hire CW and not add the crazy. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

It is ridiculous that Jordan and Curtis will not accept Drew's help in paying her medical bills.  I understand she is concerned about the ethics of a police commissioner accepting money from a media mogul.  However, Drew (although not his fault) caused Jordan's injuries.  What Drew should have told them was to sue him.  That way they could stay friends and have Alexis,  Diane and Drew's insurance company come up with a settlement that would take care of Jordan's medical bills for life.  Jordan would not have to make a claim for pain and suffering if she does not want to.  She would not be "profiting" from her settlement.  Her current bills would be paid and any future medical bills would be sent directly to Drew's insurance company.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
47 minutes ago, ulkis said:
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

Just about six though, hasn't it?

No, I think she started in late May or June . . . she had the first super brief appearance in April I think  to show Nina was played by Stafford and then she didn't pop back up for a month.

Eesh, remember when the show did that? Teased us with someone or some story one day and then immediately dropped it for weeks?

2 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Cameron at the seance was funny,

I liked how that turned out. I expect Joss will try a few more things like that, but it'd be nice if she just tried to be happy. Cam and Tia (? I forgot her name) are right that that's what Oscar wants for her. And no one is telling Joss to forget Oscar, FFS. Just not to think about him every second of every day.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

Good god, has she really been here that long?

LOL!! Her purpose when she started in the spring was to prop Nathan and be a spoiler to Sam+Silas. Nathan wanted to investigate the truth about what happened to "my sister" and just-emerged-from-a-coma Nina was furious that a) she'd lost her baby and b) Silas had moved on to a girlfriend.  I remember her sneering about Sam, but of course not to her face.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kiki777 said:

Oh and what was up with the ending?  Someone is spying on Joss, or are we gonna get a weird ghost storyline?  Oscar is no Patrick Swayze, that's for sure...

We're in trouble if Joss gets a pottery wheel...

Random observation of the day: John J. York is a good-looking older man with a great head of hair.  That's all.

• Love 9

I guess they don't do those announcements anymore 😞because today was Michelle Stafford's first day back as Phyllis on Young & the Restless and she appeared in the very last scene and they didn't do it there either...

I was wondering if they would say "the role of Phyllis is being played ONCE again by Michelle Stafford" but they said nothing....

...which was actually fine by me because she doesn't need her head to swell anymore than it already is...

• Love 3
3 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

It is ridiculous that Jordan and Curtis will not accept Drew's help in paying her medical bills.  I understand she is concerned about the ethics of a police commissioner accepting money from a media mogul.  However, Drew (although not his fault) caused Jordan's injuries.  What Drew should have told them was to sue him.  That way they could stay friends and have Alexis,  Diane and Drew's insurance company come up with a settlement that would take care of Jordan's medical bills for life.  Jordan would not have to make a claim for pain and suffering if she does not want to.  She would not be "profiting" from her settlement.  Her current bills would be paid and any future medical bills would be sent directly to Drew's insurance company.  

And it’s even more ridiculous that he asks for their permission to pay Jordan’s bills.  Although it wasn’t his fault, Drew caused Jordan’s injuries. All he needs to do is call up and pay the bill. No permission needed.  Dude, your mom is in charge. Get it done. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

It is ludicrous that they're suggesting Police Commissioner Jordan can't pay her bills. I have never been big on the character let alone the pointless recast, but it's demeaning and yes, casually, thoughtlessly racist.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I’m sure the crazy will come later. You don’t hire CW and not add the crazy. 

What?  I only know her from Lost and from Y and R.  So I didn't see any crazy.

4 hours ago, bannana said:

What?  I only know her from Lost and from Y and R.  So I didn't see any crazy.

GL. Annie Dutton. Off the charts. It's why she why she won the Emmy. She gave Kim Zimmer a run for her money.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, jsbt said:

It is ludicrous that they're suggesting Police Commissioner Jordan can't pay her bills. I have never been big on the character let alone the pointless recast, but it's demeaning and yes, casually, thoughtlessly racist.

Do people who watch soaps really want to see people worry or complain about their (medical) bills. This is such a stupid storyline. Everyone is basically rich in PC and never talk about money they don't have. Of course, they are the only AA characters in PC so I guess they are the poor people.

• Love 1

This Joss story is assinine. I could almost understand it if Oscar died suddenly and Joss felt they didn't have a proper goodbye, but they knew for months that he was gonna die, they made a list of things they wanted to do before he died and did them. 

Didn't he expressly say he DIDN"T want Joss to mope about it?

How much friggin closure does she need?

Equally stupid was Maxie's party for LWB/FS. It just underscores how he has so few ties to the canvas-- Anna didnt even show up (FH is on vacation) and Valentine wasn't invited? He's the only person in Port Charles who might consider Heinrich a friend (is he still the best man for the Val/Nina wedding?)

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think it's wrong to have working-class stories on soaps and show people struggling with money, etc. I think we don't see the working class or middle class enough anymore. But I do think it's discordant, out of step and inappropriate when the only people consistently shown struggling with money on GH today are the supporting black characters, specifically the police commissioner. There would never have been a story about Mac, Robert or Anna being unable to pay their bills. I'm pretty sure even Liz has never worried about a hospital stay.

Every time I don't see a clip featuring Wes Ramsey I forget he's on the show. He still looks like a big boy playing dress-up.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, jsbt said:

There would never have been a story about Mac, Robert or Anna being unable to pay their bills. I'm pretty sure even Liz has never worried about a hospital stay.

It was a long time ago, but Frisco and Felicia were having financial struggles and Felicia bought a whole bunch of paper towels because they were on sale.  And Dawn, Jenny, Amy, and Meg all shared a 2 bedroom apartment because Dawn and Meg couldn't swing it on their own.  And all the Qs minus Monica all had to move into Kelly's, but I'm a bit fuzzy as to why.  Bobbie had financial woes when she was being sued because of Brock's shoddy construction.

• Love 2
(edited)

And that's all fine. That makes sense for those characters. But decades later, when 95% of the character ensemble is well-heeled, you make the black characters, specifically singling out the police commissioner, struggle to pay their bills? Come on.

Cynthia Watros had a very strong. likable last scene as Nina yesterday with creepy Valentin who really shouldn't be on the show anymore - summarizing her character and some of the less deranged backstory. Stafford would've sent that little soliloquy to the moon. I doubt it's enough to flip the Nina character longterm with this writing or the constant focus on keeping Valentin and other loser characters in her orbit (those girls I don't remember the names of regularly, etc), but she did well.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

There was no "the role of Nina is now being played by..." announcement. Does that happen now only for temp recasts?

I've been wondering the same thing. I noticed it with the last recasting and thought it was odd. They didn't do "The role of Valerie Spencer is now being played by..." on the day the new actress took over the role. Maybe they think the alternative is to have the other person in the scene address the character by name in the first line of dialogue? I'll blame nostalgia--I like the recasting to be announced by the booming voice at the start of the scene.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sacrebleu said:

Equally stupid was Maxie's party for LWB/FS. It just underscores how he has so few ties to the canvas-- Anna didnt even show up (FH is on vacation) and Valentine wasn't invited? He's the only person in Port Charles who might consider Heinrich a friend (is he still the best man for the Val/Nina wedding?)

How dare you! There were those two extras standing there applauding when he arrived, then promptly went on to wipe tables in a restaurant that was closed.

Petyr is a dud of a character. My wall has more personality than he is. I can stare at my wall and not be bored to death. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I'm pretty sure even Liz has never worried about a hospital stay.

I don't recall Liz worrying about any specific hospital stay, but she worried about her finances and insurance a couple years ago, and more than a decade ago Liz and GV's Lucky were so desperate to pay all the bills - despite the fact that she was a full-time nurse at GH and Lucky got injured on the job! - that Liz made an agreement with Jax and Courtney that she would be a surrogate when they wanted a baby. Cue drama when the procedure didn't go as intended and instead she was pregnant with a Jax-Liz baby, which really upset Lucky.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Oh and what was up with the ending?  Someone is spying on Joss, or are we gonna get a weird ghost storyline?  Oscar is no Patrick Swayze, that's for sure...

I forgot to mention that! I mean, I'm no conduit to the other side, but I highly doubt Oscar's spirit is going to stalk Joss from the bushes. Good lord, Show.

10 hours ago, jsbt said:

thoughtlessly racist

I think it's just thoughtless, given that Elizabeth and Lucky went through the same thing. albeit years ago, as @Bringonthedrama recounted. What's dumb is who they saddle health insurance woes on. A nurse? A detective who got injured on the job? The frickin' police commissioner? Who should have some Cadillac plan simply by dint of her position? It's ridiculous. It's the show's way of being Topical! in the most ham-fisted manner possible: Look! Everyone is affected!

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I don't recall Liz worrying about any specific hospital stay, but she worried about her finances and insurance a couple years ago, and more than a decade ago Liz and GV's Lucky were so desperate to pay all the bills - despite the fact that she was a full-time nurse at GH and Lucky got injured on the job! - that Liz made an agreement with Jax and Courtney that she would be a surrogate when they wanted a baby. Cue drama when the procedure didn't go as intended and instead she was pregnant with a Jax-Liz baby, which really upset Lucky.

Yes, that's why I alluded to Liz in my post, because I'm aware of all that. She has done all those things and I remember and liked that story (at first). But she has never had to have a hospital stay gofundme like the black folks. In this day and age they don't give that story to Liz or anyone else - it's just the black people they barely feature. And specifically the police commissioner, who would be insured, but because she's black that supercedes it (and let's not pretend that is not the cultural subtext). It's thoughtlessly racist.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3

The Jordan and Lucky Spencer not being able to pay their medical bills, despite having jobs that provide great insurance, storylines are really frustrating.  However, I think we need to keep reminding ourselves not to apply real life/common sense to the goings on in Port Charles. It just aggravates and confuses us. 😁  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

This Joss story is assinine. I could almost understand it if Oscar died suddenly and Joss felt they didn't have a proper goodbye, but they knew for months that he was gonna die, they made a list of things they wanted to do before he died and did them. 

Didn't he expressly say he DIDN"T want Joss to mope about it?

How much friggin closure does she need?

I find Joss’s story believable. Losing your first love in this manner can really mess you up. You never go through the stage of growing up, going to different colleges and realizing you need to move on, falling out of love and knowing it’s okay. You’re frozen in a fairy tale where you are meant to be together forever.

I had a co-worker who went through this a couple of years older and she was lost for a long time, even disappeared for a couple of months and freaked out her parents. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Yes, that's why I alluded to Liz in my post, because I'm aware of all that. She has done all those things and I remember and liked that story (at first). But she has never had to have a hospital stay gofundme like the black folks. In this day and age they don't give that story to Liz or anyone else - it's just the black people they barely feature. And specifically the police commissioner, who would be insured, but because she's black that supercedes it (and let's not pretend that is not the cultural subtext). It's thoughtlessly racist.

It's true Liz never had a gofundme; the Show instead emphasized how she worked extra hard as a nurse or would be willing to carry someone's child for $, and also how Lucky's rich brother Nikolas would be willing to whip out the Cassadine fortune.

These scenes telling us Jordan and Curtis can't handle the hospital bills are nonsense.Their insurance and Drew's should take care of most of it. Curtis said the billing department told him they could pay "in installments." I'm going to assume this unnecessary, thoughtless plot point is to propel Curtis into some difficult investigative situation because he'll earn a lot of money for it.

• Love 4
(edited)

You know who we never see worried about money/insurance and it would make sense that she would, occasionally? Freaking Maxie, who has been sporadically employed and should be on medication for her health conditions.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 10
21 minutes ago, ulkis said:

You know who we never see worried about money/insurance and it would make sense that she would, occasionally? Freaking Maxie, who has been sporadically employed and should be on medication for her health conditions.

I assume Mac and Felicia are propping her up.

I have no idea why Maxie is still on the show right now.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, jsbt said:

What the hell does Felicia do again? 

Maxie has been in Crimson again for a while so she should be covered but if anyone should have worries over insurance once in a while it probably should be her.

Maxie is on to tell everyone how great Laura Wright's boyfriend is.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, ulkis said:

What the hell does Felicia do again? 

I thought all she did was run the Floating Rib with Mac these days. But I don't watch enough anymore to know. She could very well still be a PI, albeit a barely active one like ol' girl Sam.

(edited)
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

To try, very unsuccessfully, to have chemistry with LWB so he has some role on the show. The amazing thing is, Maxie usually does have chemistry with the men she plays opposite of, but not this one. It's a dud.

Do we know the burgler? He looked familiar to me but I couldn't place him.

Edited by BlancheDevoreaux
  • Love 2
(edited)

The great about today's show: the Scorpio Brothers together, and Robert shutting Maxie down. She's acting like a pouty teenager who thinks she knows better than Robert and Anna about what's best for Dante and Lulu. The one good thing LWB/FS has done lately is giving Maxie a disapproving look for being so gleeful that she got some intel by eavesdropping on Robert's conversation. 

The amusing: Robert walks past Finn and doesn't acknowledge his existence with the group.

Julian was sweet and gentle in his support of Kim, while shutting down the 'let's have a baby' idea as long as she's in this place of deep mourning for Oscar.  Kim's face looked like Maxie's upon being told 'no.' 

I assume young-ish robber dude (is it the guy from the "Sonny rescues Dante" scenes?) Joss came upon in Dante and Lulu's house is intended for future scenes with her, Trina and Cam?   And isn't Joss, the stepdaughter of a mobster who lives with guards around her, supposed to be smart enough not to enter a home that she sees is slightly open, with lights out?

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

isn't Joss, the stepdaughter of a mobster who lives with guards around her, supposed to be smart enough not to enter a home that she sees is slightly open, with lights out? 

She's Carly's daughter - barging in is genetic

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

Robert, replaced by someone "younger and cheaper".  Ouch.

If they had written Margaux and Drew like this months ago, I could have gotten on board with that relationship.

Good for Julian in telling Kim not yet for a baby. I enjoyed their scenes, a strong contrast to how Sonny and Carly behaved with Joss which I couldn't stand.  And I realized when Carly snorted at the mention of Lucy is that one of the reasons I hate Carly so much is that her opinion of someone always is more important than the situation or the other person in the room. If Lucy is helping Joss, it's so narcissistic of Carly to make her opinion of Lucy more important than Joss's feelings.

I don't want to see Joss and Kim in grief counselling. Especially if it's in the group with Michael and Willow.

I guess the show is trying to do a PSA about Carly's pregnancy but MB seemed annoyed for being bothered by it.

Lulu is really stupider than a box of rocks, telling "Stevie" to go home. Maybe this one time the burglar was working with an accomplice.

7 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Do people who watch soaps really want to see people worry or complain about their (medical) bills. This is such a stupid storyline. Everyone is basically rich in PC and never talk about money they don't have. Of course, they are the only AA characters in PC so I guess they are the poor people.

I think people enjoy seeing people like themselves on screen, especially if they are underrepresented (e.g. in terms of ethnicity or sexual orientation).  Maybe even having some of the problems.

At one point in it's history Guiding Light was set up to contrast three families, the rich Spaldings (that ER was part of), the middle class Bauers, and the lower class Shaynes. I miss that kind of set-up on GH where it seems everyone is either rich (Quartermaines, Cassadines, Corinthoses) or upper middle class. The only people who seem to need money was Molly and TJ, and it's making this medical story, while a real-life dilemma for many, a fail on the show.

5 hours ago, jsbt said:

And that's all fine. That makes sense for those characters. But decades later, when 95% of the character ensemble is well-heeled, you make the black characters, specifically singling out the police commissioner, struggle to pay their bills? Come on.

I suspect it's because the show doesn't know what to do with Jordan and Curtis but doesn't want to lose it's only regular black characters.  GH never really knows what to do with black characters which I guess is a kind of racism.

In this case, it may also be an attempt to reflect the increasing real-life discussion about whether the current US medical system is the best way to handle healthcare. If it is, they really need to do a better job of writing so that we're not all just saying "Why isn't Drew's insurance covering it?"

• Love 1

Oy, the writing for Maxie is making her look so incredibly stupid.

Maxie;  Dante needs to come home

Peter:  He's in a facility to get better

Maxie;  I don't care, Lulu needs him.

Maxie:  Dante needs to come home

Mac:  He's suffering severe PTSD and needs to get better

Maxie:  I don't care, Lulu needs him

Maxie:  Dante needs to come home

Robert:   He's in deprograming and needs to get better

Maxie:  I don't care, Lulu needs him.  

Good lord girl, shut up already.  At this point, it's Maxie who needs Dante to come home and not Lulu.  Lulu's busy raising her kids and doing her job (although giving her real address to a possible robber is dumb).  

Also:

Maxie:  I need someone to help me find where Dante is
Me:  Like, I don't know, maybe your father, who happens to run the organization that Dante works for?  

GUH

Okay, money to all of you who said we hadn't seen the last of the little Turkish pickpocket kid and that he'd at some point, ent up in PC and possibly in Joss' orbit.  I mean, it literally happened that way, all in one episode.  

Someone needs to direct Mo a little better.  When your wife tells you that your baby might be born with a birth defect, the correct reaction isn't one of "for fucks sake why do I have to put with this shit".  

24 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I suspect it's because the show doesn't know what to do with Jordan and Curtis

every character not named Sonny, Jason, Carly or Sam

There, I fixed that for you

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
9 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Someone needs to direct Mo a little better.  When your wife tells you that your baby might be born with a birth defect, the correct reaction isn't one of "for fucks sake why do I have to put with this shit".  

Maybe it is the right reaction. I mean it's my reaction with this whole pregnancy business. For fucks sake, don't these two have too many children already? For fucks sake, do these two not believe in birth control? Put a hat on it, Sonny! For fucks sake, the writers have clearly run out of storylines to give these two.

It's not like Sonny isn't going to adopt the kid from the Turkey storyline. He's going to put him up in his house and Carly will giggle (for no reason at all) and Olivia will want to feed him manicotti because he helped rescue Dante. He'll be watching the Yankees with Rocco in no time.

Nurse with short hair, DoD agent, I'm assuming. I'm assuming the flashdrive will vanish soon, but dare I hope that Drew is finally going to get involved in a storyline with someone from his past? 

If I were Peter, I would reconsider my relationship with Maxie. Listening has never been her forte. He is boring, but she is abrasive and a busy body and she needs to go away. Hey, Maxie! Dante needs help, he is seeking help so that he can come back to his family whole. Butt the fuck out!

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 12
6 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

It's not like Sonny isn't going to adopt the kid from the Turkey storyline. He's going to put him up in his house and Carly will giggle (for no reason at all) and Olivia will want to feed him manicotti because he helped rescue Dante. He'll be watching the Yankees with Rocco in no time.

Don't forget the triangle with Cameron, Joss and him.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I don't know, that seems like the proper reaction from him in this situation. He thought Carly was on birth control.

• Love 1

Maxie wanted Lulu to drop dead less than a year ago and now she's just so concerned about her that she wants to force her husband back home? Okay, sure.

They took Finola Hughes out of the cast listing they run in the credits on Friday shows. I guess she's renegotiating a new contract while she's on her break.

Come on Mac should have said something about giving Lucky a call too to see if he wants to stop doing whatever the heck he's doing and if he wants to get back to the station. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

There's really no shortage of babies and toddlers in PC that those two now need to expand their child hoarding to teenagers, but whatever.  

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:
41 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

When your wife tells you that your baby might be born with a birth defect, the correct reaction isn't one of "for fucks sake why do I have to put with this shit".  

Maybe it is the right reaction. I mean it's my reaction with this whole pregnancy business.

Truth.  I'm also so fucking tired of all these middle aged women getting pregnant like it just happens every day.  Ava, Olivia, Carly, and now Kim wants a kid?!  At least as a doctor she should know that would be highly improbable occurrence.  I would much rather see someone like Molly or even Joss get preggo as at least that would be realistic.  All these ladies should be close to menopause, not popping out kids like it's no big thing.

• Love 4