Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, ulkis said:

Anna is babbling about some off screen WSB mission from off screen 30  years ago for about three years now.

I'm still wondering why this mission was so important?  And why no one has addressed the elephant in the room that one (or both) of her kids could possibly be Alex's.  And why the old guy couldn't take his cat with him.  I'm upset about an abandoned fictitious cat.

Edited by ciarra
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, Perkie said:

The writing was just awful.  He said more to Mike than he did to Lulu.  I truly don't understand why they wrote it that way.  It's not like they were leaving themselves an out for any reason.  He's going to a clinic to be deprogramed.  It may take a week, it may take 6 years.  Why is that a secret to be kept from the wife?  

So the audience is more sympathetic if she hooks up with someone else. Although he could have just said "I'm being de-programmed, don't wait for me". Or they could have had him come back and both of them felt they grew apart and got a divorce. 

It was an odd way to write it, but I think it could have been worse, but then my standards for GH are super, super low.

At least, they’ve recasted Lucky a few times.

And the first time was a disaster and the second was a middling recast that was helped by the disaster of the first recast, imo. I think they could have done a lot better job recasting but I don't the Luckys are a good example of successful recasts. I think they should recast now but only because it's been so long; even now I wouldn't care if they didn't recast if they said the character is in contact with his kids.

Edited by ulkis
3 minutes ago, Perkie said:

That the plaque on the wall of the writer's room!!

Ha, yes, but even if the writing were great, how can you tell a story in the format they're presenting it in, in 5 minute segments that gets interrupted every 5 minutes for commercials?

• Love 4

Anna is another one I think they should maybe write off. I feel weird about saying that, but her WSB stories are so stupid and freaking Finn interacts more with other people than she does.

(I mean I think the whole show should be cancelled, in a year or so from now so they can write it out properly, but it's not, so I'm just talking about Anna right now.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

I mean I think the whole show should be cancelled, in a year or so from now so they can write it out properly

I don't have even that faith anymore. The writers have consistently botched everything. I'd almost rather the show ended abruptly and there was no time to wrap things up, because I suspect I'd be supremely unhappy with what was done. Carly is not Victoria Lord, no matter how hard the show tries to sell her as show matriarch. She's not Erica Kane, either.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, ulkis said:

So the audience is more sympathetic if she hooks up with someone else. Although he could have just said "I'm being de-programmed, don't wait for me". Or they could have had him come back and both of them felt they grew apart and got a divorce. 

It was an odd way to write it, but I think it could have been worse, but then my standards for GH are super, super low.

This!  The way these closing scenes were written definitely makes Lulu more sympathetic when she decides to move on.  In addition, Dante basically gave her emotional permission to do so by focusing on wanting her to be happy and to live her life and by reminding her that forever is a long time. 

I will say that one thing the closing episode did was to affirm that the love between the two is still strong and I expect that might be important for couple fans.  But sometimes, to use a cliché, love doesn't conquer all. 

Well, they already set up Lulu turning to Chase to talk through her coparenting stuff with Charlotte, 18 seconds BEFORE Dante did the roadrunner, so there is that dynamic that might become an issue.  Or, Peter and Lulu as James' godparents and working together as Maxie/Peter kinda fizzles out (not a fan of that).  

At this point, I don't even think the story was that badly executed until the end. Though there were too many episodes in Turkey. One, max two would have been plenty to get us up to speed. The next couple of episodes should have gone to happyness with Lulu, the kids, Olivia. Then a couple of episodes of something wierd happening. Then the scene with Anna and then a proper scene with Lulu and Olivia (Sonny too if I have to) where he explains what happened to him and that Anna has a place where he can recover.

You've got your requisite 10 episodes that DZ is back for. You don't know how long he'll be gone because you don't know how long the deprograming will take, but you understand when Lulu says she'll wait as long as it takes.  And the audience understands and feels badly for all parties involved.

Instead, it makes Dante look like a complete ass for not telling her the whole truth before walking out of her life. Again.  I don't want it to make it easy for her to dump him later on.  Original recipe Lulu and Dante were a major soap couple for me and to have it end like this, just is not okay.  I almost feel like they did this on purpose, making Dante look like a jerk and giving LUlu the out to end things/cheat because they were pissed that DZ didn't come back and they were going to make sure he didn't come out smelling like roses (for anyone who watches Grey's Anatomy, think Patrick Dempsey and Shondra Rhimes)

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

GH has destroyed another character because they refuse to recast them.  Is there any other soap in which "heroes" abandon their children and spouses?  Frisco, Felicia, Anna, Robert, Dante, Luke, Lucky.  Am I forgetting anyone?

You know. You make a good point. At least, they’ve recasted Lucky a few times. In fact, they should do it again to upset the Apple cart which is Franco & Elizabeth.

• Love 4

I don’t necessarily believe Dante needs to be recast, but I also think it’s weird Dante and Lulu can’t just....divorce...and Dante just leaves like, normally. GH seems to treat ALL their pairings the same, and can’t close the book on any of them. Which is, again, weird.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Perkie said:

I almost feel like they did this on purpose, making Dante look like a jerk and giving LUlu the out to end things/cheat

I think they could have made it way worse. Dante is messed up, I don't think they made him like much of an ass.

This is the thing about soaps. If an actor chooses to leave they usually don't write the other out, and so you get the presumed death or fizzled out leave taking. But even if they stayed the couples usually get messed up because they've cheated 5 times. That's why the show needs to rotate cast more, imo. 

31 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I don’t necessarily believe Dante needs to be recast, but I also think it’s weird Dante and Lulu can’t just....divorce...and Dante just leaves like, normally. GH seems to treat ALL their pairings the same, and can’t close the book on any of them. Which is, again, weird.

I guess that's not dramatic enough or something? I don't think they're that interested in writing a new love interest for Lulu/for Lulu in general so maybe that's why too.

1 minute ago, ulkis said:

I guess that's not dramatic enough or something? I don't think they're that interested in writing a new love interest for Lulu/for Lulu in general so maybe that's why too.

But that’s what I’m saying. Does EVERY couple have to endure that same level of drama? Shouldn’t there be tiers? What happened to the days on soaps when relationships just....ended? And the show moved on to something else for one or both of the characters? 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I think there are relationships like that. Maxie and Spinelli managed to be one. Liz and Jason, I guess. 

Oh, I know it’s happened in the past. But under Frank’s watch? 

13 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Oh, I know it’s happened in the past. But under Frank’s watch? 

Drew and Sam. 

Frank has killed Jason/Liz as well.  He was playing them during his first year at GH and had to write a Jashit reunion in 2012 because Burton was leaving.....

Now they're dead and share no scenes just like Drew/Sam.

Edited by Hater
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, ciarra said:

I'm still wondering why this mission was so important?  And why no one has addressed the elephant in the room that one (or both) of her kids could possibly be Alex's.  And why the old guy couldn't take his cat with him.  I'm upset about an abandoned fictitious cat.

FH is definitely playing this as if she is having anxiety about it. (Although she's not close to Peter, who is probably the one who is actually Alex's.)  Clearly the anvils are starting to drop, starting with Peter wondering why "the great Ana DeVane" couldn't figure out a way to keep him. 

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, Hater said:

Drew and Sam. 

Frank has killed Jason/Liz as well.  He was playing them during his first year at GH and had to write a Jashit reunion in 2012 because Burton was leaving.....

Now they're dead and share no scenes just like Drew/Sam.

I don’t count them bc its clear BTS drama dictated their demise. That was not an organic story.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

And why no one has addressed the elephant in the room that one (or both) of her kids could possibly be Alex's. 

You'd think that RF!S would say something.  He's been Anna's "truth teller" when she evades issues.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

FH is definitely playing this as if she is having anxiety about it. (Although she's not close to Peter, who is probably the one who is actually Alex's.)  Clearly the anvils are starting to drop, starting with Peter wondering why "the great Ana DeVane" couldn't figure out a way to keep him. 

Saw a rumor that Peter ....

Spoiler

...is actually Anna's son but Faison is NOT his father😮...hence his cruel treatment of Peter all his life.🤔 There was mention of him being Robin's twin. The midwife mentioned Anna gave birth to a girl IIRC and Anna was surprised to discover the missing /given up baby was a boy. Maybe that would explain why she couldn't figure out how to keep him if she never knew he existed. 😒 She did hide Robin away til she was 5 after all.

Who knows anything anymore the way they constantly rewrite history.😏

Edited by RedRockRosie
  • Useful 1
On 3/28/2019 at 7:08 PM, YaddaYadda said:

And to join the chorus of praise for DZ. Yes, he had been really great and he should have been given a storyline while he was under contract, something FV seemed allergic to. 

Even Valerie. The actress has had a handful of scenes on YR, but she is actually talented (and gorgeous) and she had to sit on the sidelines for however long she was on GH. It sucks that the show loses talent because they keep giving the same people the storylines. 

It's not just Carson/Jasam with FV.  The Block of wood AKA Nathan had constant storylines while Dante sat on the sidelines. Valentin, Nina, Franco - every bad decision FV has made had more screentime than DZ

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Perkie said:

At this point, I don't even think the story was that badly executed until the end. Though there were too many episodes in Turkey. One, max two would have been plenty to get us up to speed

But not to showcase Sonny...

Edited by Broken Ox
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, avocadohead said:

Poor EH. They don't what to do with her. Another  Y&R revenge hire by FV

I just find her so miscast in this role.  At least they seem to cut whatever that grossness was with Sonny dead.

• Love 6
On 3/28/2019 at 8:08 PM, YaddaYadda said:

And to join the chorus of praise for DZ. Yes, he had been really great and he should have been given a storyline while he was under contract, something FV seemed allergic to. 

Even Valerie. The actress has had a handful of scenes on YR, but she is actually talented (and gorgeous) and she had to sit on the sidelines for however long she was on GH. It sucks that the show loses talent because they keep giving the same people the storylines.

How many times have I seen viewers point to examples of wasted talent and wasted potential on GH?!!  Far too many.  

And those comments have often included both Dom and Brytni - Dom a proven talent and Brytni a new actress in whom growing potential was seen.  (As an aside, I remember positive reviews and hope for her on this board when she first joined.)  Significantly to me, BOTH were members of the second generation of core GH families and, as such, should have been at the center of character development. But no!  Those in charge had to keep bringing on new, unrelated or barely-related players and they also had to make the huge misstep of continuing to focus on the first generaton - ie Sonny and Carly. 

A loss!!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, avocadohead said:

Am I the only one happy that we are FINALLY free of Nina Reeves?!

No, you're not alone. The party is going on over in the "Press" thread.

Edited by rur
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:
9 hours ago, avocadohead said:

Poor EH. They don't what to do with her. Another  Y&R revenge hire by FV

I just find her so miscast in this role.  At least they seem to cut whatever that grossness was with Sonny dead.

I think she's miscast, as well, but I also think anyone in the PC DA role is going to be a dud, given that Sonny/Jason/Carly always have to win in the end. Those interactions are never interesting to watch, since the DA makes threats we know will never pan out, and those interactions are enraging when those three demand the PCPD take action when something finally doesn't go in their favor. Ugh.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, ouinason said:

Well, they already set up Lulu turning to Chase to talk through her coparenting stuff with Charlotte, 18 seconds BEFORE Dante did the roadrunner, so there is that dynamic that might become an issue.  Or, Peter and Lulu as James' godparents and working together as Maxie/Peter kinda fizzles out (not a fan of that).  

Peter should NEVER be a godparent to James since he played an important role in Nathan's death yet didn't know his half-brother. I could see Lulu developing feelings for Peter since she works closely with him, and Maxie getting pissed off. I just hate the idea of Maxie getting involved with Peter for multiple reasons. But I also hate her even being civil to Dr. O. 

• Love 1
On 3/30/2019 at 5:14 PM, ulkis said:

Anna is another one I think they should maybe write off. I feel weird about saying that, but her WSB stories are so stupid and freaking Finn interacts more with other people than she does.

(I mean I think the whole show should be cancelled, in a year or so from now so they can write it out properly, but it's not, so I'm just talking about Anna right now.)

I really hope not. No matter how mediocre Anna's storylines may be, I still really enjoy watching Finola Hughes. And as crappy as this show can be, in any given week I can find a few things to love. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, ulkis said:
18 hours ago, ciarra said:

Can't they just recast Nina?  We might get someone equally as awful, and still never be rid of the character.

Wasn't Nina just created because MS was available.  I think they'll be fine without Nina. She finds out Sasha isn't her daughter and they drop (what most people think was going to happen) that WIllow is her real daughter. Since, it came down to the wire (contract negotiations) I do wonder if MS will have a send off or we just won't see Nina ever again. I guess they can pair Valentin with somebody else. He's a good looking guy and I'm sure they'll hire someone because I don't know who they would hook him up with currently on the canvas

48 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Wasn't Nina just created because MS was available.  I think they'll be fine without Nina. She finds out Sasha isn't her daughter and they drop (what most people think was going to happen) that WIllow is her real daughter. Since, it came down to the wire (contract negotiations) I do wonder if MS will have a send off or we just won't see Nina ever again. I guess they can pair Valentin with somebody else. He's a good looking guy and I'm sure they'll hire someone because I don't know who they would hook him up with currently on the canvas

I think she should find out Sasha IS her daughter.  Valentin just happened to hire someone to impersonate her daughter and it turns out to be true.  A coincidence only possible on soaps.  And Maxie looked surprised when she looked down at the paper.  She was expecting her to not be her daughter, so that wouldn't surprise her would it?

• Love 1
14 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I can't help it: I kind of like that Maxie showed Dr. O some grace.

Me too. I think a big reason for that is that I live Dr. O. She's a good villain in my book - just likeable enough to like seeing in the show and smart enough that you believe her getting away with some of the stuff she pulls. I loved her telling Nelle that her baby swap secret is safe with her... until, if course, she needs to use the information.

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I'm hoping that once she's gone, Valentine apologizes to Willow for letting his desire to get laid overshadow his ability to see Willow speaking the truth and trying to take care of Charlotte.

32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think she should find out Sasha IS her daughter.  Valentin just happened to hire someone to impersonate her daughter and it turns out to be true.  A coincidence only possible on soaps.  And Maxie looked surprised when she looked down at the paper.  She was expecting her to not be her daughter, so that wouldn't surprise her would it?

Didn't Valentine see Maxie and Peter ordering the blood test? I just assume her doctored the results there, too.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I’m hoping that once she's gone, Valentine apologizes to Willow for letting his desire to get laid overshadow his ability to see Willow speaking the truth and trying to take care of Charlotte

I always feel like Valentin supports Nina’s rants just to shut her up, which isn’t the worst reason. And to get laid, which isn’t the greatest reason.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

He's a good looking guy and I'm sure they'll hire someone because I don't know who they would hook him up with currently on the canvas

I'm a man so the "good looking guy" thing escapes me.  I saw the actor on a Hallmark romance movie awhile back and thought, "he's SO not a romantic lead."  Different strokes, I guess.  Plus, Valentine is the lamest Cassadine ever.  None of Stefan's intellect or charm.  None of Stavros' single-minded, malevolent obsession.  Damn, even Alexis is more intimidating.  I look forward to his character leaving the canvass soon as well, although it probably won't happen.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I'm a man so the "good looking guy" thing escapes me.  I saw the actor on a Hallmark romance movie awhile back and thought, "he's SO not a romantic lead."  Different strokes, I guess.  Plus, Valentine is the lamest Cassadine ever.  None of Stefan's intellect or charm.  None of Stavros' single-minded, malevolent obsession.  Damn, even Alexis is more intimidating.  I look forward to his character leaving the canvass soon as well, although it probably won't happen.

I'm a woman and I don't really find him attractive or "good looking" either.  That "evil smile" thing he does really puts me off.  Plus, I know him from Supernatural where he played a blah/stupid character, and I just can't not see him as that.  I don't usually have that problem, but for whatever reason I just keep expecting him to start eating people.  Depending on who he decided to eat, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, I guess.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I won't miss Nina, but I have loved her wardrobe lately. Usually MS wears tight, bandage style dresses, but lately she's been dressing more professional and I think it's very pretty. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Didn't Valentine see Maxie and Peter ordering the blood test?

Yes, he followed them to the lab, then called someone to 'do a job' for him.  

Today, the results showed that Nina and Sasha are mother/daughter, which shocked the crap out of Sasha.  So she asked Valentin and he pretty much admitted that he had changed the results.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Perkie said:

Yes, he followed them to the lab, then called someone to 'do a job' for him.  

Today, the results showed that Nina and Sasha are mother/daughter, which shocked the crap out of Sasha.  So she asked Valentin and he pretty much admitted that he had changed the results.  

I really don't understand how paternity tests can hold up in court.  If I've learned anything from watching soaps it's that anybody who even knows where the hospital is can change the results easy-peasy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

On today's episode.....

CarSon find out from Lulu that Dante is gone.  They offer their support.

Alexis and Laura discuss the divorce.  Laura's not sure what she wants.  

Nora Buchanan is in town to represent Kevin.  Lucy shows up for moral support.  He wants to plead guilty.  Both ladies talk him out of it.  Margaux snarks out Nora.  Kevin pleads not guilty and is given bail.  Bail is posted so Kevin thinks Lucy did it.  Turns out it was Laura.

Maxie's test results show that Nina/Sasha are mother/daugther.  Sasha's all wuhhh?  Valentin's all sssssshhhhhh.  Nina's all, but why?  Peter says Obrecht is holding something over Valentin and they thought it was this.  

Nina asks Valentin what Obrecht's holding over him.  He lies and says LIesl knows that NIna overdused Cassandra Pierce.  

Maxie heads over to LUlu's, who breaks down crying.  

I'm so tired of hearing Sonny say "my son." We get, dude. Dante is your possession and you want everyone to know it. Ugh.

Uh, Carly? You witnessed Dante's irregular behavior, maybe you could have said something to Lulu.

I'm slightly surprised the writers passed up the chance for Nora and Franco to cross even visual paths. We got a Marty Saybrook reference, though. And Margaux got to snipe that she preferred Pine Valley to Llanview.

I thought Margaux's outfit was just a bit too casual for court, even if it was only an arraignment.

Kevin's look of barely disguised alarm when Lucy offered to take him into her custody was great.

I liked the Alexis/Laura discussion.

Oh, Nina. Valentin making up a fake daughter shouldn't surprise you in the least. I think the multiple secret DNA tests are upsetting, but the point behind them certainly isn't. Valentin has lied about big stuff enough that skepticism is definitely warranted.

The Rocco actor is TERRIBLE. I hate saying that about a kid, but the show is giving him this stuff and he's not delivering.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I really don't understand how paternity tests can hold up in court.  If I've learned anything from watching soaps it's that anybody who even knows where the hospital is can change the results easy-peasy.

well in RL these tests are done at specialty labs not at the local hospital