Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

Ava cannot claim any high ground with Sonny. 

Maura West typically earns her pay but MB rarely does.  Plus Sonny serves as a constant reminder of how far this show has strayed from it's roots. 

Color me surprised to see FV pay for an extra as a hospital patient.  In the past five or so years the only extras who were patients at GH were a soldier and a patient of Francos. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, sunnyface said:

Maura West typically earns her pay but MB rarely does.  Plus Sonny serves as a constant reminder of how far this show has strayed from it's roots. 

Color me surprised to see FV pay for an extra as a hospital patient.  In the past five or so years the only extras who were patients at GH were a soldier and a patient of Francos. 

Don't get me wrong; I vastly prefer watching Ava if for no other reason than novelty of someone who doesn't worship Sonny or Jason.  But I wasn't addressing the relative merits of their performances or entertainment value.   As a character, Ava simply has no claim to moral superiority. 

I wish for Avery's sake, someone other than Sonny or Ava was her parent. But seeing that they are her parents, listening to either of them claim that the other is the devil is annoying.  I also hate that they're each constantly pushing for sole custody.  I understand that they hate one another with reason. But, FFS, Avery is a child and shouldn't have to be in a constant war between them.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, RachelKM said:

I wish for Avery's sake, someone other than Sonny or Ava was her parent. But seeing that they are her parents, listening to either of them claim that the other is the devil is annoying.  I also hate that they're each constantly pushing for sole custody.  I understand that they hate one another with reason. But, FFS, Avery is a child and shouldn't have to be in a constant war between them.

Despite their claims of loving Avery, they end up trying to force the other one out when they had custody of Avery. They never want to compromise or work in Avery's best interest. They just want to win and have sole custody. 

• Love 4

When Ava said to Sonny, "I don't care if your father ends up in a cell, padded or not", that is the performance I like to see from MW, not the screeching and/or growling.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, RachelKM said:

Ava cannot claim any high ground with Sonny.

I don't think high ground is the point. I don't think I've seen anyone arguing that Ava isn't terrible. But however awful Ava is or has been, the narrative is that she's the lowest of the low while Sonny, who is exactly like her, is a god among men. Favoritism within fandom or the audience is one thing, but if they're just different sides of the same coin, it'd be nice if the writing would acknowledge it. 

• Love 12
On 4/20/2018 at 3:46 PM, Linny said:

Good LOOOORD, the Henrik stuff couldn't have been more heavy-handed if the actors reached through the TV screen and thwacked me over the head. Really, Mrs. Emerson, "Henri" had brown eyes and would have benefited from the loving guidance of a mother? What remarkably generic insights that could be applicable to 50% of the population but is of course TOTALLY relevant to Anna's investigation, because this show has never been accused of possessing subtlety. 

First, I will never stop yelling that this RETCON IS UTTER BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT!BULLSHIT!BULLSHIT! And I will NEVEREVER ACCEPT THIS. ROBIN is Anna's only LIVING child. ???????? As for the bolded, well, back when this show was GOOD, it did possess subtlety, gravitas, knew how to play the emotional beats, etc.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:39 PM, statsgirl said:

The best part of the episode was TR's bit  of business as Robert leaned further and further over trying to see around Anna as she was questioning the headmistress.  And Anna's "Yes Robert" as the headmistress excused him for not knowing that Brutus is the lead in Julius Caesar because he's Australian. These two are such old pros and work so well together.

Tristan/Robert is the BEST.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:15 PM, WendyCR72 said:

This whole Anna retcon garbage still irritates me to no end. Just wanted to say that.

Please see my ranting post above. ???????

On 4/23/2018 at 11:28 PM, paisley said:

Tristan Rogers is pure gold.

He's too good for this show.

15 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I think NLG's father died of lung cancer and was a nonsmoker, so she was really gung-ho for the story. Too bad it turned out to be one of the historically worst stories ever.

Dana Reeves, widow of the late great Christopher Reeves, also died of lung cancer, and I don't think she was a smoker, either.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I don't think high ground is the point. I don't think I've seen anyone arguing that Ava isn't terrible. But however awful Ava is or has been, the narrative is that she's the lowest of the low while Sonny, who is exactly like her, is a god among men. Favoritism within fandom or the audience is one thing, but if they're just different sides of the same coin, it'd be nice if the writing would acknowledge it. 

Several people have argued that Ava is at least better than Sonny, if not actually a good person.  My point is that she isn't better.  And I get as irritated listening to Ava talk about protecting Avery from Sonny as I do with the reverse.  I understand that some people are enjoying the sense of schadenfreude whenever Sonny is being put in his place.  I just cannot enjoy it when it's someone as crappy as him and I have no time for either of them and their respective crusades for sole custody. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

Right now, the best thing about her is that she occasionally has scenes with Scotty, so I get to see Franco-free Scotty scenes.

Yes, this, it's the only Franco-free relationship Scotty seems to be allowed these days.  And Kin and Maura always seem like they're having fun.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Dana Reeves, widow of the late great Christopher Reeves, also died of lung cancer, and I don't think she was a smoker, either.

She performed in a lot of smoky bars and clubs when she was younger, and I believe she thought that might have made her more susceptible. Secondhand smoke and all that.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

But that isn't the narrative. They give Ava moments of sympathy. More than moments, they give her whole damn episodes.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, ulkis said:

But that isn't the narrative. They give Ava moments of sympathy. More than moments, they give her whole damn episodes.

She had cancer and 3rd degree disfiguring burns on her body. Things that could have killed a person. She suffered for a few months and she back to 100%. Those stories were written so that she could punished and claimed that she has suffered greatly for her crimes. 

• Love 3

It's always swell to see Lucas (who?), but there was something narratively off about his scenes with Julian today.  If memory serves, the last time these two interacted, Lucas was reading Julian for filth and claiming Tony Jones as his one and only father.  And everything we've heard from Lucas and Brad (in conversations with people who ARE NOT EACH OTHER, GRRR!) indicates that they have been estranged since then, and Lucas even let Brad go drop the bomb about making that estrangement official for the purposes of the adoption.  But now...he's all chatty with him, thanking him, casually calling him dad?  Nah.

I feel like this was all about making us feel bad for Julian versus any investment in what's going with Lucas (and his husband Brad, WHO WE NEVER SEE HIM TALK TO, GRRR!) as he prepares to become a father.  So, in summary, more great work for Groundbreaking and Progressive Soap Writer Shelly Altman. #eyeroll

• Love 2

The show spent weeks planting the seeds of Jordan being sick by making her cough all over the place, and after acknowledging her health scare once she immediately gets a clean bill of health? Okay? What an unnecessary and strange way to facilitate Curtis proposing, but he sold the hell out of those scenes. It sucks that he put everything on the line and Jordan's too blind and scared to take him seriously.

It bugs me so much that Joss and Oscar are in this insular teenage bubble. No only do they desperately need some contemporaries (*cough* time to age up Cam *cough*) but they also need to do something other than talk about their parents. I still only get a friendship vibe with Drew and Kim, her real chemistry is with Julian.

I'm sad our five minutes with Lucas was only used to pat Julian on the back. He has a husband and a whole family to interact with, and this is how the show uses him? 

Sam and Jason said the words Huxley and fate and I tuned right the fuck out, because I couldn't care less about any of those components. Your fate is to be boring and passionless, the end.

Finn and Alexis deciding to revisit their one night of sex and subsequently mauling each other was hilarious. I don't know where we're going with these two, but I'm here for it. 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, ulkis said:

It's not? Due respect and all, but moments of sympathy don't balance out Sonny sneering in Ava's face about how she can't have one whole night with her own daughter because of some blackmail tape that no one should care about anymore, and up until now she's apparently not been proactive at all. I'm not watching, but from what I've gathered here viewers are clearly supposed to be feeling sorry for Sonny because Mike has Alzheimer's, even though he's acting like his normal self about it, i.e, shitty. After all, it's only his dad. What's even more hilarious is that if Sonny wasn't still around stinking up the joint, Ava and her brother and however many other allegedly - (TM)Silas Clay - worse people wouldn't have been brought in to make him look good by comparison.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Linny said:

Sam and Jason said the words Huxley and fate and I tuned right the fuck out, because I couldn't care less about any of those components. Your fate is to be boring and passionless, the end.

Jason, it is not fate when Spinelli has to put a tracker on your sister-in-law's phone and manipulate flight records and travel plans to get the two of you conveniently on the same continent at the same time. It is not "nudging fate in the right direction," it's creepy, manipulative, and wrong, and it's even more wrong that Jason wasn't as upset about it as Sam. For all his talk about being happy with whatever Sam decides in respect to who she wants to be with Jason is more than willing to use the results of Spinelli's and Carly's various manipulations and schemes to get he and Sam together.

• Love 10
19 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Jason, it is not fate when Spinelli has to put a tracker on your sister-in-law's phone and manipulate flight records and travel plans to get the two of you conveniently on the same continent at the same time. It is not "nudging fate in the right direction," it's creepy, manipulative, and wrong, and it's even more wrong that Jason wasn't as upset about it as Sam. For all his talk about being happy with whatever Sam decides in respect to who she wants to be with Jason is more than willing to use the results of Spinelli's and Carly's various manipulations and schemes to get he and Sam together.

Carly and Spinelli act like a couple of teenagers who are hysterical their favorite boy band broke up.  It's not about them in the least, yet they've made it totally about them.

• Love 9

It's going to be hilarious to see KM and Sbu attempt to do physical scenes with each other.  They haven't even hugged yet.   So much destiny and fate, I can almost feel the tension in the scenes! 

Edited by Hater
  • Love 4

Joss and Oscar are so boring. Definitely getting a friends vibe. I thought the kid that played Dr. Bensch's patient the other day is better looking and had more charisma in a couple of minutes than Oscar has in his whole time so far.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Hater said:

It's going to be hilarious to see KM and Sbu attempt to do physical scenes with each other.  They haven't even hugged yet.   So much destiny and fate, I can almost feel the tension in the scenes! 

Wait, they still haven't kissed since the boring New Year's Eve kiss? The hell? Isn't that the whole point of the ridiculous "coinky dinky" ending up in Switzerland at the same time story line?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Wait, they still haven't kissed since the boring New Year's Eve kiss? The hell? Isn't that the whole point of the ridiculous "coinky dinky" ending up in Switzerland at the same time story line?

Not only did they not even kiss or almost kiss (was spoiled to happen), they didn't even touch in their scenes today where they talked about how it was all FATE they ended up together in Switzerland.  Not even a hand grab or a hand hold.  They were sitting on a couch....two feet apart.  I mean, what is going on here?  These two were a pairing for 8 years? Really?

Edited by Hater
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Linny said:

It bugs me so much that Joss and Oscar are in this insular teenage bubble. No only do they desperately need some contemporaries (*cough* time to age up Cam *cough*) but they also need to do something other than talk about their parents.

Joss and Oscar are a cute couple but they are boring because it is just the two of them hanging out.  They need to be a part of a group of friends.  Remember Robin, Brenda, Jagger and the Quartermaine boys?,   Liz, Lucky, Emily and Nicholas had great chemistry.  They were given great storylines and the young actors were wonderful.  Hopefully TPTB are planing a great teen story for the summer.  It would not involve Sonny so I am not holding my breath. 

• Love 5

Teens are usually SORASed to 16, not to 14 like Joss and Oscar are, because 14 year old having sex is weird, and which is why it was dumb to give Oscar and Joss a story about their relationship. Robin only hooked up with someone once Kim McC was 16-17 (was Robin and Stone's first kiss in 1994?) Emily not until AT was 16-17 as well and JJ was 16 and the furthest Lucky and Liz got was a make out session right before he left (and about two months before JJ turned 17). AT did kiss TC on screen when she was 13 but that was it. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Robin only hooked up with someone once Kim McC was 16-17 (was Robin and Stone's first kiss in 1994?)

I missed their first kiss, but I do know that they played Romeo and Juliet at the 1994 Nurses Ball and kissed on stage.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:26 AM, P3pp3rb1rd said:

I have to disagree. Ava has always been hot, and she likes sex. When she started sliding down Sonny's pantsleg to her knees while fumbling with his belt and zipper I was riveted

Sonny and Ava proved that they are utterly disgusting people because they chose the Q Family Crypt/AJ's grave to have sex on, after the two of them were responsible for his death. They did this knowing that Michael, a young man Sonny claims to love, was very clearly devastated and when Ava knew her precious Kiki had connections to Morgan, Michael/Q Family.

I thought GH couldn't get any more disgusting than Sonny and Carly having sex in the back of a limo after putting their comatose son in long term care - while Carly was married to Jax. I was very wrong.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Linny said:

The show spent weeks planting the seeds of Jordan being sick by making her cough all over the place, and after acknowledging her health scare once she immediately gets a clean bill of health?

What if she was lying when she told Curtis that she was fine?  If anyone recently watched Jane the Virgin, Jane's mother told everyone she was fine, so they wouldn't be upset, then later admtied that she did in fact have breast cancer. I just got that feelign when I saw Jordan say what she did.

• Love 4

If Jason thinks Spinelli isn't going to "nudge fate in the direction he wants to" again, Jason is a big numbskull. If Spinelli really respected Sam and respected that she wants to be on her own, he wouldn't have set up this creepy meet in the first place. Gah.

Shouldn't Jason have mentioned Ava's help during the escape tale? I hate how their relationship was totally dropped.

4 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

But now...he's all chatty with him, thanking him, casually calling him dad?  Nah.

Who mentioned Julian coming through in the adoption interview as a big reason for the thaw. That feels reasonable to me. Calling Julian "Dad"   was a bit much, I agree.

2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

It's unacceptable to me how boring Joss in particular is, she should be making Carly's life hell!

I know! I really want Joss to be sassing Carly every chance she gets and throwing Carly's bad behavior in her face.

• Love 6

It will never not be crazy that Julian is such a vile mob boss that he has to be kept from the baby lest he spoil the adoption while Carly, married to the biggest mob boss on the east coast (per Kim) writes them reference letters.

Alexis telling Drew that Sam is in Switzerland with Jason was very soapy, as was Drew seeking comfort with the ex of the child whose life he can be a part of.  (Yes, he can technically be a part of Scout's life but not when Jason gets his hands on her).

Joss/Oscar and Sam/Jason ... sooooo boring.  And because it can never be said too much, STFU Spinelli.

If Jason thinks Spinelli isn't going to "nudge fate in the direction he wants to" again, Jason is a big numbskull.

Is this even a question?  Jason acts like he takes the moral high ground but will always use anything anyone else gets with dirty hands.

If Spinelli respected Sam, he wouldn't have put a tracker on her phone in the first place, and he wouldn't have deliberately booked her so that she and Jason will run into each other.  None of Carly, Spinelli or Jason respect Sam to make her own decisions or live her own life.

18 hours ago, RachelKM said:

Don't get me wrong; I vastly prefer watching Ava if for no other reason than novelty of someone who doesn't worship Sonny or Jason.  But I wasn't addressing the relative merits of their performances or entertainment value.   As a character, Ava simply has no claim to moral superiority.

Ava has admitted a number of times that she's done things she shouldn't have and expressed regret for them.  She's also expressed insecurity that she's not good enough for Griffin.  Has Sonny ever had a moment's regret that didn't devolve into a "Poor Me" whine?

18 hours ago, nilyank said:

Despite their claims of loving Avery, they end up trying to force the other one out when they had custody of Avery. They never want to compromise or work in Avery's best interest. They just want to win and have sole custody. 

I think there are a lot of problems in real life attached to joint custody but as much time as the child wants with either parent is usually the best thing in the long run.

But is it even possible with Sonny?  Give him an inch and he'll blackmail you into it being a mile. He wants all.  Always.  Look at AJ losing out on Michael's childhood, or Jax banned from Joss.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5

Can anyone explain how Sonny and Carly claim that Avery is their child when her mom is really Ava (yuck) and her dad is Jax? This makes no sense to me since I stopped watching for many years. Thanks!

Avery's parents are Sonny and Ava. Carly is her stepmother and has been raising her with Sonny for most of Avery's life because Sonny has been able to have custody for most of this time.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

Can anyone explain how Sonny and Carly claim that Avery is their child when her mom is really Ava (yuck) and her dad is Jax? This makes no sense to me since I stopped watching for many years. Thanks!

Ava and Sonny mated on AJ's grave, resulting in Avery.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Any Julexis fans here? I'm just curious.

I can't remember if I ever was, heh. I know I hate how Alexis became a breathy, skittish virgin around him.

I prefer Alexis and Finn or Julian and Kim (but can she please stop calling him Charlie?!) to Alexis and Julian. I think their story is done. Let them be exes.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

You’re confusing Avery with Joss. Joss’s parents are the SheBeast and Jax; and as others have clarified, Avery’s parents are Mooby and Ava.

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It will never not be crazy that Julian is such a vile mob boss that he has to be kept from the baby lest he spoil the adoption while Carly, married to the biggest mob boss on the east coast (per Kim) writes them reference letters.

It's ridiculous that Carly, who was not raised with Lucas/ never lived with him and Bobbie as family, and isn't close to him now (have they had scenes together in recent years?) is considered a reference.  Not like the show could *gasp* have Dr. Monica Quatermaine, who has known him via his mom his entire life and is his ultimate authority figure at the hospital now, write him a reference letter.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

It's ridiculous that Carly, who was not raised with Lucas/ never lived with him and Bobbie as family, and isn't close to him now (have they had scenes together in recent years?) is considered a reference.  Not like the show could *gasp* have Dr. Monica Quatermaine, who has known him via his mom his entire life and is his ultimate authority figure at the hospital now, write him a reference letter.

Carly has known Lucas since he was a child and Lucas has known her for a majority of his life. In the limited scenes that have shown Lucas, he had scenes with Carly including telling her and Bobbie that he and Brad wanted to adopt.

• Love 1

So Sam flits off to Switzerland, does touristy things for one day, dumps her kids, works a bank con, drinks warm mini-bar beer with Jason, then runs back to Port Charles?  What happened to "time alone to figure out who I am"? 

• Love 8

A week in audience time but not in show time.

She can't fly back until Friday.  I'll be shocked if she spends that time alone finding herself instead of hanging out with Jason and rediscovering their lost love while Drew mopes in Port Charles.

Since Drew asked Alexis what's happening with Sam, I think it's a fair assumption that Sam got her mother to take her kids home (minimum one day to fly over, one to fly back, third day at Monica's Daycare) and did her Bank Job Caper with Jason and Spinelli without phoning Drew and telling him what's happening with her. Or if she did phone him, she hid the truth.  Sam, meet bus.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Linny said:

The show spent weeks planting the seeds of Jordan being sick by making her cough all over the place, and after acknowledging her health scare once she immediately gets a clean bill of health? Okay? What an unnecessary and strange way to facilitate Curtis proposing, but he sold the hell out of those scenes. It sucks that he put everything on the line and Jordan's too blind and scared to take him seriously.

Dear Curtis, I will marry you. Call me. 

Love, OhIKnow

• Love 4
4 hours ago, OhIKnow said:

Dear Curtis, I will marry you. Call me. 

Love, OhIKnow

You know, it's funny.  Normally expressions like "my woman" are cringe worthy to me.  However, when he said, "I want to marry my woman" I loved it.  That man can do no wrong in my eyes.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

It's more ridiculous to me that Lucas and Brad, given their panic about Julian, would want a reference letter from Mrs. Corinthos in their file.

• Love 16
15 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
16 hours ago, Gam2 said:

You’re confusing Avery with Joss. Joss’s parents are the SheBeast and Jax; and as others have clarified, Avery’s parents are Mooby and Ava.

I don't want to know what percentage of viewers are convinced that Carly is Avery's biological mother. It's too early in the day to start drinking.

17 hours ago, Perkie said:
21 hours ago, Linny said:

The show spent weeks planting the seeds of Jordan being sick by making her cough all over the place, and after acknowledging her health scare once she immediately gets a clean bill of health?

What if she was lying when she told Curtis that she was fine?  If anyone recently watched Jane the Virgin, Jane's mother told everyone she was fine, so they wouldn't be upset, then later admtied that she did in fact have breast cancer. I just got that feelign when I saw Jordan say what she did.

Haus Nutmeg would be sorely disappointed if, with all this buildup, the subplot was over faster than Sonny and Jason taking on Thanos.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

She can't fly back until Friday.

I thought she and Jason got the call that they could get a flight in 2 hours.  He ran out to pack (his one outfit that Anna gave him).  I assume they are on the same flight.  More "alone time" for Sam.  They probably are seated together.

1 hour ago, NutmegsDad said:

Haus Nutmeg would be sorely disappointed if, with all this buildup, the subplot was over faster than Sonny and Jason taking on Thanos.

Haus Nutmeg might want to start preparing to be disappointed. GH and followthrough aren't BFFs.

• Love 3

So is Anna just going to pop LWB/FS into her will and not mention it to Robin?  That'll be a nice surprise for after her mother's dead. #eyeroll

Gawd, so many people talking about LWB/FS, and we had to see him too.  Blech.

Sam, how many times did you wear fancy clothes and sit behind a desk exactly?

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Haus Nutmeg might want to start preparing to be disappointed. GH and followthrough aren't BFFs.

Well, dammit, if Sonny and Jason are going to beat Thanos THAT quickly, maybe Tony Stark can call the Metro Court for reservations for 150 or so. Oh, someone tell Carly not to seat Black Widow next to Deadpool. Trust me.

• Love 1